PDA

View Full Version : On the rise: Mitch Wallis

Hotdog60
13-01-2013, 11:12 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/PortAdelaide/Photo%20Galleries/2012%20-%20Galleries/AFL%202012%20Media%20-%20Port%20Adelaide%20v%20Western%20Bulldogs/272433-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

On the rise: Mitch Wallis

At a glance: After a modest debut season in 2011 in which he played just six games, the inside midfielder proved in 2012 why the Dogs gave up a first-round pick to secure the son of former Footscray captain Steve Wallis. The 19-year-old thrived under new coach Brendan McCartney's contested ball mantra, where his hardness and clean hands around the stoppages saw him average 22 possessions in 19 games. He also sneaked forward to kick seven goals. His breakout season was rewarded with a third place in the NAB Rising Star, fifth in Bulldogs best and fairest and the club's most improved player award. Such is the regard in which Wallis is held, he's the poster boy for the Dogs' latest marketing campaign.

Plays like: His coach caused raised eyebrows back in July when he compared Wallis to Hawthorn champion Sam Mitchell. Stats back up McCartney's argument, with his young charge shading the Hawks premiership skipper for output at the same stage of their careers. Wallis, like Mitchell, is natural leader who prides himself on contested footy and a cool head in a crisis.

Killer quality: The one attribute that stands out despite his tender years are Wallis' leadership qualities. From the moment he arrived at the Whitten Oval, he coveted the No. 3 guernsey worn by legendary leaders Ted Whitten and Chris Grant while declaring he wanted to emulate his father and captain the club. On exposed form so far, few would doubt him.

Best performance: In a year where consistency was a hallmark of Wallis' game, it's hard to go past his round 22 performance against a hardened Geelong outfit at Simmonds Stadium. Opposed to the likes of Joel Corey, James Kelly and Jimmy Bartel, Wallis countered with a equal career high 29 touches (82 per cent efficiency), six clearances and eight tackles.

What they say: "Mitch is showing the benefits of working at his all-round game and his performance against Melbourne was an example of that," said Brendan McCartney after Wallis' round four NAB Rising Star nomination. "He understands he still has a lot to learn but he's a good person and works very hard at his game. We're confidant he is building towards a good career at our club."

Stats that matter:
Third in total disposals (424 @ 22.32)
Second in total handballs (257 @ 13.5)
Fourth in tackles (79 @ 4 per game)
Fourth in clearances (95 @ 5 per game)
Eleventh in goals (7)

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-13/son-of-a-gun)

bornadog
13-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Plays like: His coach caused raised eyebrows back in July when he compared Wallis to Hawthorn champion Sam Mitchell.

Against the Hawks last year, Mitchell gave Wallis a nice right hook to the head, right in front of me, just off the ball. I thought Mitchell would go for that, buit was never looked at. I guess Wally learnt something that night.

Looking forward to 2013 to see how he has developed further, certainly a future leader of the club.

DragzLS1
13-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Love this kid he will take Boydy's place in the next 3 years!

Remi Moses
13-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Future captain no doubt.
Couldn't believe some if our fans doubted him making it after one season.

KT31
13-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Future captain no doubt.
Couldn't believe some if our fans doubted him making it after one season.

I don't think anybody doubted him, I think it was more a case he needed some time to adjust to get used to the pace of the game at AFL level.

Mofra
14-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't think anybody doubted him, I think it was more a case he needed some time to adjust to get used to the pace of the game at AFL level.
I recall there were some on WOOF who actually did doubt whether he'd make the grade based on his 2011.

Bulldog4life
14-01-2013, 05:35 PM
I recall there were some on WOOF who actually did doubt whether he'd make the grade based on his 2011.

I remember that too.

Remi Moses
14-01-2013, 06:28 PM

There was.

LostDoggy
14-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Similarly though, we shouldn't be expecting a definite superstar based on his 2012.

Maddog37
14-01-2013, 08:38 PM

That's because he looked one paced and hs skills were average.

jeemak
15-01-2013, 01:07 AM
That's because he looked one paced and hs skills were average.

Irrespective of that I guess it shows the folly in worrying too much about undeveloped talent after a single season, doesn't it?

We can be pretty quick in writing off players as supporters, and while we're all passionate about our club sometimes the assessments made about certain players can be a little hasty, and over the top.

Mitch had a fantastic year last year, and I'll be happy with consolidation in 2013. Improvements in ball use by foot and decision making will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned. He's tracking really well.

Remi Moses
15-01-2013, 02:51 AM
Similarly though, we shouldn't be expecting a definite superstar based on his 2012.

Don't see an improvement trend in his form?
Pretty good upward curve you'd imagine.

Remi Moses
15-01-2013, 02:53 AM

Irrespective of that I guess it shows the folly in worrying too much about undeveloped talent after a single season, doesn't it?

We can be pretty quick in writing off players as supporters, and while we're all passionate about our club sometimes the assessments made about certain players can be a little hasty, and over the top.

Mitch had a fantastic year last year, and I'll be happy with consolidation in 2013. Improvements in ball use by foot and decision making will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned. He's tracking really well.

Spot on. If a recruit isn't showing Chris Judd qualities now they're written off.
Good luck to Jake Stringer and young Macrae

LostDoggy
15-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Don't see an improvement trend in his form?
Pretty good upward curve you'd imagine.

What I meant was that the same people calling him a dud after his first year can overshoot the other way and call him a superstar after his second year.

Steve Wallis was my favourite player growing up and so far, Mitch is a chip off the old block.

Mantis
15-01-2013, 04:27 PM

I would have these improvements as being imperative rather than as a bonus.

He looks to have many parts of the game covered, but we need to see improvements in said areas if he is to go from a good average player to a very good player.... and there is no time like the present.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-01-2013, 04:56 PM

He looks to have many parts of the game covered, but we need to see improvements in said areas if he is to go from a good average player to a very good player.... and there is no time like the present.

Seconded.

He improved his game significantly in 2012 but to take the next step, he simply has to improve his disposal by foot. I think his decision making and use by hand is OK (could improve), it's his disposal by foot which I see as most important to fix.

If he does that, then he really will become a similar player to Mitchell.

jeemak
15-01-2013, 05:24 PM

Seconded.

He improved his game significantly in 2012 but to take the next step, he simply has to improve his disposal by foot. I think his decision making and use by hand is OK (could improve), it's his disposal by foot which I see as most important to fix.

If he does that, then he really will become a similar player to Mitchell.

I should have clarified by adding that I'm not expecting this to happen in 2013. To expect him to have these areas improved upon by a distinguishable margin in his third year of football is probably too much.

I agree that they're extremely important areas for improvement, it's just that I believe they'll take a while to get sorted.

Go_Dogs
15-01-2013, 08:11 PM
I should have clarified by adding that I'm not expecting this to happen in 2013. To expect him to have these areas improved upon by a distinguishable margin in his third year of football is probably too much.

I agree that they're extremely important areas for improvement, it's just that I believe they'll take a while to get sorted.

I tend to agree with that.

I actually think his ability by hand in close I quite good as is his decision making in most instances. His disposal by foot is OK for the most part, but he doesn't have a high hurt factor and lacks penetration and accordingly he tends to take safer options when better ones are available. As his kicking improves and he gains more confidence in his ability to execute over long distances he'll become a much more complete player. I expect it will be a gradual thing over time.

He's already got a very balanced game and strong defensive skills, we simply can't peg him as the next Griffen who has a more damaging foot, but I'd say his kicking is already an improvement on Cross and Boyd who are ultimately the players he'll be taking over from.

Remi Moses
16-01-2013, 02:49 AM
What I meant was that the same people calling him a dud after his first year can overshoot the other way and call him a superstar after his second year.

Steve Wallis was my favourite player growing up and so far, Mitch is a chip off the old block.

Agree, I got peed off with people basically writing him off after the grand total of one season.

bornadog
16-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Agree, I got peed off with people basically writing him off after the grand total of one season.

I am amazed year after year how first year players are written off by supporters because they don't show Gary Ablett type of ability.

Bulldog4life
23-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Spoke with Mitch at the East West day comes across as a level headed ,responsible young man. Very confident in the next decade for the Club....in his words.

F'scary
23-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Given the way he played when given his chance in 2012, I have the following issues:

I am puzzled as to why Wallis Jnr got just 6 games in his first season, 2011.

I am puzzled as to why he was dropped for 3 rounds after Round 1 in 2012 having gathered a commendable 18 possessions.

KT31
24-01-2013, 02:05 AM
Given the way he played when given his chance in 2012, I have the following issues:

I am puzzled as to why he was dropped for 3 rounds after Round 1 in 2012 having gathered a commendable 18 possessions.

Answer to the first one is he looked uncomfortable in his first season and needed time to gather more confidence and some time to adjust to the level.
For the second it confuses me to.

Mofra
24-01-2013, 10:12 AM
He didn't deserve more than 6 games - there were some on Woof who wondered whether he'd even make a career for himself :eek:
He did show an ability to read the play and get to contests, however in 2011 he was often second (which didn't stop him from layign tackles and doing the tough stuff.
In 2012 he was fitter and anticipating play slightly quicker. I'd expect an increase in this again.

Maddog37
24-01-2013, 11:52 AM
I think in 2012 he was sent back to work on something specific at one stage and rested another. Good management you would think........

LostDoggy
25-01-2013, 09:57 AM

Nah, stuff that, that's why we're passionate, so we can get as excited as we want. Superstar it is… :)

w3design
29-01-2013, 05:08 PM

I think that in his first season Wal simply was yet to adjust to the pace of the game at this level. Anyone who saw him lead his team in the TAC premiership would realize he has all the tools, and would eventually make it as a very good AFL player. The step up in level simply takes some players a little more time to adjust than others.
That is in no way a reflection of their talent, it is just a fact of life in our system. It is not just the big kids that develop at different rates, it applies to many a player.

Very few players come in as ready made champions in their first season.