PDA

View Full Version : Now that Lake is no longer a bulldog lets talk...

bulldogtragic
20-01-2013, 03:11 PM
The infamous Prelim Riewoldt dive/free kick - who do you blame?

In order of most culpability:

1) The Umpire. He created a situation where diving would be rewarded. This was a wrong thing to say or do, or a conspiracy to deny the dogs a win. I'd hope the latter wasn't true. But the umpire in question picked which end he would umpire from and picked what he would say and who he would say it to and at the same time did not say the same to the dogs forwards.... He should have kept his mouth shut in any event.

2) Brian Lake. Now that I have the red, white and blue goggles off with Lake, I blame him more than Riewoldt, much more. Right or wrong, he was told not to make contact and yet he bumps, no matter how low the force. Absolute brain fade that may have caused us to lose the match. No excuses for Lake, out of the players I blame him and I can see that more now he is no longer in the tri colours. I defended him until the goggles came off recently.

3) Riewoldt. Was piss poor form, but he was told in a round about way if he dived he get the free. I would hope our players would do the same if told diving would be rewarded. He just opportunistically took advantage of the circumstances by arguably cheating.

Now that Lake is gone and the red, white and blue goggles are off, does that change who you blame?

Ghost Dog
20-01-2013, 03:32 PM
It was the worst soft-as-cream-cheese free, ever in the history of a contact sport. Blame anyone, but Brian.

AndrewP6
20-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Diver, umpire, Lake - in that order.

Diver for taking the easy, soft route to a most pathetic, weak free kick.

Umpire for blowing it, when the same thing happened/happens week in, week out. For not possessing the ability to read the game.

Lake, for doing what he probably shouldn't have done.

Lake's trade hasn't changed my view on that in the slightest.

Greystache
20-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Umpire- It's a contact sport, those types of bump happen every minute of the game. It was simply that the player bumped was their love child Riewoldt that he blew the free, only a handful of other players in the AFL would've got that free- Wanganeen, Judd, Riewoldt. Also the game being on the big stage meant he got his moment in the spot light.

Riewoldt- He's a weak diver who knows a sooky face and a flailing of his arms will result in a free kick

Lake- He should know Riewoldt is a protected species, some players have different rules for them and you have to play accordingly.

BulldogBelle
20-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Even Grant Thomas said that it was an appalling decision by the umpire and it cost us a grand final berth.

bornadog
20-01-2013, 04:21 PM
It was the worst soft-as-cream-cheese free, ever in the history of a contact sport. Blame anyone, but Brian.

Umpire- It's a contact sport, those types of bump happen every minute of the game. It was simply that the player bumped was their love child Riewoldt that he blew the free, only a handful of other players in the AFL would've got that free- Wanganeen, Judd, Riewoldt. Also the game being on the big stage meant he got his moment in the spot light.

Riewoldt- He's a weak diver who knows a sooky face and a flailing of his arms will result in a free kick y.

This

One of the worst decisions by an umpire ever.

always right
20-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Technically you could apportion some blame to Lake. The reality is it was an umpiring decision that was not in the spirit of the game...any game. The same umpire awarded a free kick for holding the ball against Shaggy in the first quarter when he actually kicked it. Staggeringly umpire Mcinerney later declared that he simply didn't see Shaggy kick it. That free kicked resulted in St Kilda's first goal and helped them settle after we had dominated play for the quarter.

I really wish I could move on but it makes me livid even today when I look back on it. Two appalling decisions that changed or gave momentum. I remember leaving the ground seething when the SEN reporter came up to me for my reaction to the result and the umpiring. I was surprised I never added expletives into my response but I did state that if McInerney was given a grand final berth it would be a disgrace. Thankfully he didn't.

Sorry go off on a bit of a tangent. Surprisingly still a little raw.

F'scary
20-01-2013, 04:53 PM
1. Andrew Demetriou. He creates the culture that causes things like the topic of this thread.

2. The umpires. For being Demetriou puppets.

3. Riewoldt for being a Demetriou sock puppet.

4. Agree with you on Lake, should have known better than to walk into that Demetriou puppet master trap.

chef
20-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I blame Lake as he knew what was going to happen if he did it and it was really pointless. What a dumb thing to do at a very important time in a very important game.

Ghost Dog
20-01-2013, 05:27 PM
I blame Lake as he knew what was going to happen if he did it and it was really pointless. What a dumb thing to do at a very important time in a very important game.

It was a dive. Lakes intention was just a bit of body contact, not even a bump really. So how can Lake be blamed?

chef
20-01-2013, 05:32 PM
It wasn't the bump that drew the free. It was the fall. So how can Lake be blamed?

Because he was told if he bumped Roo he would give away a free kick. The umpire explained it to him. He must have realised how close he was from goal and what stage the match was at. It was the dumbest thing I have ever seen a Bulldogs player do.

It doesn't matter if it was right or wrong, Lake knew what would happen if he did it and he still did it. Brain fade.

Happy Days
20-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Because he was told if he bumped Roo he would give away a free kick. The umpire explained it to him. He must have realised how close he was from goal and what stage the match was at. It was the dumbest thing I have ever seen a Bulldogs player do.

It doesn't matter if it was right or wrong, Lake knew what would happen if he did it and he still did it. Brain fade.

How is that even close to good umpiring? It's irrelevant if he should have heeded the warning because he never should have been given the warning in the first place because its stupid

chef
20-01-2013, 05:39 PM
How is that even close to good umpiring? It's irrelevant if he should have heeded the warning because he never should have been given the warning in the first place because its stupid

I haven't said it was good umpiring, just that Lake was told what would happen and he still went and did it, which was dumb. Would Morris have done it?

Ghost Dog
20-01-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure what difference it makes that Brian is still not with us anyway. I think most people here are pretty fair in their judgements.

bulldogtragic
20-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I haven't said it was good umpiring, just that Lake was told what would happen and he still went and did it, which was dumb. Would Morris have done it?
Exactly my thinking, well said.

soupman
20-01-2013, 06:58 PM
One of the worst decisions ever made, in terms of rules, context and consequences. Every single match there are hundreds of bumps of that force or greater. If I was Lake I would keep bumping him too, even after the warning, because everyone knows that that isn't a free kick, and Lake and everyone else has done that exact action thousands of times throughout their career with no consequences.

It remains to this day an atrocious decision, and I believe the blame in its entirity is at the umpires feet, for giving a woeful freekick to a diving cheat in Riewoldt. Sure Riewoldt dove, and I hate him for it, but the umpire should have just laughed at him instead of give him a free goal.

I also think the rule regarding the positron of the free is incorrect also, but that's another matter.

always right
20-01-2013, 07:16 PM
One of the worst decisions ever made, in terms of rules, context and consequences. Every single match there are hundreds of bumps of that force or greater. If I was Lake I would keep bumping him too, even after the warning, because everyone knows that that isn't a free kick, and Lake and everyone else has done that exact action thousands of times throughout their career with no consequences.
It remains to this day an atrocious decision, and I believe the blame in its entirity is at the umpires feet, for giving a woeful freekick to a diving cheat in Riewoldt. Sure Riewoldt dove, and I hate him for it, but the umpire should have just laughed at him instead of give him a free goal.

I also think the rule regarding the positron of the free is incorrect also, but that's another matter.

^^^This sums it up perfectly.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
20-01-2013, 07:50 PM
What about the deliberate out of bounds paid against Aker? Apalling.

bulldogtragic
20-01-2013, 08:01 PM
What about the deliberate out of bounds paid against Aker? Apalling.
Even Aker said it was a free... The Shaggy free on the other hand.... :(

always right
20-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Even Aker said it was a free... The Shaggy free on the other hand.... :(

Yep....no problem with the Aker one.

Topdog
20-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Forgive if I am wrong but I believe the same free has never been paid since

AndrewP6
20-01-2013, 09:03 PM

I can't recall. I still think it was a bad call..

bornadog
20-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Yep....no problem with the Aker one.

I have a major issue with that rule. The original intention and spirit of the rule had been completely miss interpreted by the umpires and changed the game.

Should never have been a free which ultimately cost us a goal and the lead in the last 19 minutes of the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Even with all those BS decisions, including the Lake/Riewoldt one, we still should have won the game.

From memory Griffen missed at least 2 or 3 chances, and Gilbee's miss was pivotal. If he kicks that goal, we make a Grand Final.

bulldogtragic
20-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Even with all those BS decisions, including the Lake/Riewoldt one, we still should have won the game.

From memory Griffen missed at least 2 or 3 chances, and Gilbee's miss was pivotal. If he kicks that goal, we make a Grand Final.
Don't make me cry again.

immortalmike
20-01-2013, 10:32 PM
Agree with GD, Andrew, and Stache'. Lake was just doing what all footy players do.

SonofScray
21-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Umpire deserves all of our rage for an eternity. Capt Collapse deserves our disrespectful abuse and mockery. Just a horrible decision and course of action taken.

Every player inside 50 at the start of every quarter will do what Lake did when R1 2013 comes around. Ideally they should shake hands first. But they won't, and no penalties will be incurred.

G-Mo77
21-01-2013, 01:09 AM

Didn't the diver get another free like that against North Melbourne the following season.

LostDoggy
21-01-2013, 01:34 AM
I respect the fact umpiring is a tough gig, I'd also like to add that decision and Hargrave's should have been investigated for match fixing. Whilst I cringe at the sight of watching both of those, this thread has made me laugh from responses bringing me a smile from a nightmare.

Mofra
21-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Technically you could apportion some blame to Lake.
Yep - all three for mine.

It wouldn't have been a free except Brian was warned not to bump him just before he bumped him.
Soft as shite, Riewoldt dived, but Brian called the umpires' bluff and it turned out it wasn't a bluff.

Ghost Dog
21-01-2013, 02:31 PM

It wouldn't have been a free except Brian was warned not to bump him just before he bumped him.
Soft as shite, Riewoldt dived, but Brian called the umpires' bluff and it turned out it wasn't a bluff.

I think he niggled him, rather than bumped him. To call it a bump would flatter Reiwoldt.

LostDoggy
21-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Who was the umpire in the Reiwoldt / Lake case?

Im too fragile to watch the replay of it.....but i want to know which umpire it was so that i can use his name in my vocabulary to replace anything to do with soft (e.g. he is as soft as...) / shocking decisions (e.g. he has just had a 'barry crocker').

Greystache
21-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Im too fragile to watch the replay of it.....but i want to know which umpire it was so that i can use his name in my vocabulary to replace anything to do with soft (e.g. he is as soft as...) / shocking decisions (e.g. he has just had a 'barry crocker').

Stephen McInerney

G-Mo77
21-01-2013, 03:30 PM

Satan

always right
21-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Stephen McInerney

Shane....you might be thinking of Stephen McBurney.

EasternWest
21-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I think he niggled him, rather than bumped him. To call it a bump would flatter Reiwoldt.

Yeah it was more of a block with a bit of shoulder IIRC.

I blame the umpire 90% for setting up an environment which gave Riewoldt the green light to take the dive. Then I'm blame Lake 5% for not being able to resist temptation. The the other 5% to the umpire for falling for it.

As much as I can't stand Riewoldt, I can't really find it in me to blame him. If one of our players took advantage of as egregious a comment as that idiot umpire made, and we kicked a crucial goal from it, I'd be jumping through hoops.

Still hate Riewoldt though.

I still maintain that was the best game of footy I've ever been at, and couldn't have been more proud of our players for the heart they displayed.

Damn it bulldogtragic, now I has a sad.

Remi Moses
21-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Stephen McInerney

Disgraceful decision .
Particularly in a cut throat final:mad:
They generally let the game flow in finals, yet they pulled out an incredibly soft insipid decision.
We got pulverised by the officiating in that final, yet I'm sure if that was one of the big boys who copped that you'd never have heard the end of it.:mad:

Topdog
21-01-2013, 08:27 PM

Nope. No fault at all on Lake. The umpire is not allowed to just make up his own rules.

bulldogtragic
21-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Damn it bulldogtragic, now I has a sad.

Sorry EW, I'm in an eternal sad. God wouldn't I give for a premiership.

bulldogtragic
21-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Nope. No fault at all on Lake. The umpire is not allowed to just make up his own rules.
I might be wrong, but wasn't McInerney responsible for all the bad decisions. Conspiracy.

always right
21-01-2013, 09:06 PM
I might be wrong, but wasn't McInerney responsible for all the bad decisions. Conspiracy.

He was responsible for he two howlers.....Riewoldt and Shaggy.

bulldogtragic
21-01-2013, 09:33 PM
He was responsible for he two howlers.....Riewoldt and Shaggy.
Two goals from them too, and we only just got done. I've heard of conspiracies with less evidence...

1eyedog
21-01-2013, 11:20 PM
The diver was not playing in the best spirit of the game

Eastdog
21-01-2013, 11:34 PM
That game could of gone either way and we had the Saints. Very unlucky in the end and very disappointed I was after it.

bornadog
21-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Here is Nick doing it again:D

DwJeILoOWbs

bornadog
21-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Maybe he should be in this video package.

LC-H2wXK4T4

jeemak
22-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Disgraceful decision .
Particularly in a cut throat final:mad:
They generally let the game flow in finals, yet they pulled out an incredibly soft insipid decision.
We got pulverised by the officiating in that final, yet I'm sure if that was one of the big boys who copped that you'd never have heard the end of it.:mad:

I struggle to argue against this type of sentiment, to be honest.

I've played it over and over in my head, and I can't help but think the narrative of the finals series was on the line and the umpire in the situation set things up perfectly for drama, and a desirable outcome.

In the 2008-2009 finals series preliminary finals I felt a very strong feeling that the media had a distinct idea of who should have been playing in the grand final, as did the administration. I can't think of a single commentator, or administrator that actually commented on how amazing it would be if we had have won our way through to the big dance as we weren't the "best" side throughout the year. Funny, in 2012 Sydney's potential seemed to be relished considerably more.

Brian didn't understand how stupid and powerful the games offialdom had become at that stage, nor how willing they were to affect the outcome of the game. Riewoldt did, and took advantage of it. AFL players aren't consistent in their intelligence or ethics, and nor are the umpires.

comrade
22-01-2013, 03:55 AM
Maybe he should be in this video package.

LC-H2wXK4T4

That's why I'll never truly warm to soccer. Little bumps and knocks that would be laughed off in AFL are treated like career threatening injuries in soccer. It's actually embarrassing to watch grown men act like that.

Also, I hate Riewoldt for this reason too and don't like it when our players go to ground easily (Johnno, Gia etc).

LostDoggy
22-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I don't blame Riewoldt at all. If one our players had done the same and we won the game we'd all be calling the opposition a bunch of sooks for carrying on about it.

I blame Lake for not being aware that the umpire meant what he said. The umpire gave him fair warning. What else was the umpire to do after he gave the warning and Lake took no notice of him?

As for the interpretation of the rule at this time in a final, it was a real pity that it was even invoked. No consistency really.

But I maintain that Lake had fair warning and should have known what Riewoldt was like. Riewoldt was quite within his rights to try to milk a free kick when he heard what the umpire said. His thought processes were one step ahead of Lake's. I would have expected nothing less of our players if the situation was reversed....which is to try anything to suck in an opponent in order to win a berth in a grand final.

Topdog
22-01-2013, 11:49 AM
I blame Lake for not being aware that the umpire meant what he said. The umpire gave him fair warning. What else was the umpire to do after he gave the warning and Lake took no notice of him?

As for the interpretation of the rule at this time in a final, it was a real pity that it was even invoked. No consistency really.

Its not an interpretation of any rule. The rule doesn't exist. The umpire simply made up a rule to follow through on a threat that he had no right making.

always right
22-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Its not an interpretation of any rule. The rule doesn't exist. The umpire simply made up a rule to follow through on a threat that he had no right making.

Whilst I vehemently disagree with the free kick paid, the reality is there are rules that Lake technically breached. I've highlighted them below. The most galling thing is the fact that no umpire to the best of my knowledge has paid such a free kick since the Lake episode. The other galling factor is the timing of the free kick against Lake and the significance of the match. It was simply over the top and could not be justified;

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where
they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact
with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if
the Player:
(a) makes contact with any part of their body with an
opposition Player;
(i) above the shoulders (including the top of the
shoulders or bump to the head); or
(ii) below the knees.
(b) pushes an opposition Player in the back, unless such
contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player
is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football;
(c) holds an opposition Player who is not in possession
of the football;
(d) pushes, bumps, blocks, holds an opposition Player or
deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition
Player, who is in the act of Marking or attempting to
Mark the football;
(e) pushes, bumps, holds or blocks an opposition Player
when the football is further than 5 metres away from
the opposition Player or is out of play;
(f) pushes, bumps, holds or blocks an opposition Player
who is contesting a bounce or throw by a field Umpire or
boundary throw in;
(g) charges an opposition Player;
(h) trips or attempts to trip an opposition Player, whether
by the use of hand, arm, foot or leg;
(i) kicks or attempts to kick an opposition Player, unless
contact is accidentally made whilst the Player is Kicking
the football;
Laws of Australian Football 2012 5 3
(j) strikes or attempts to strike an opposition Player,
whether by hand, fist, arm, knee or head;
(k) holds or throws an opposition Player after that Player
has disposed of the football;
(l) engaging in rough conduct against an opponent which in
the circumstances is unreasonable;
(m) kicking or attempting to Kick the football in a manner
likely to cause injury; or
(n) bumps or makes forceful contact to an opponent from
front-on when that Player has their head down over the
football.

LostDoggy
22-01-2013, 03:19 PM

Done what? Decide to not be competitive? I think Morris would have not only done it, but gone in harder.

The only person I blame is the umpire. He's the only one who didn't do his job properly.

chef
22-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Done what? Decide to not be competitive? I think Morris would have not only done it, but gone in harder.

The only person I blame is the umpire. He's the only one who didn't do his job properly.

If the umpire had of said to Morris not to do #### or you'll give away a free kick, in a prelim final within goal scoring distance do you think morris would done ####?

I doubt it.

It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, the umpire warned Lake not to do something, Lake called his bluff and got penalised.

bulldogtragic
22-01-2013, 05:13 PM
If the umpire had of said to Morris not to do #### or you'll give away a free kick, in a prelim final within goal scoring distance do you think morris would done ####?

I doubt it.

It doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, the umpire warned Lake not to do something, Lake called his bluff and got penalised.
Completely agree Chef. He was told not to, and yet he did. Bad umpiring but stupid and reckless by Lake.

soupman
22-01-2013, 05:29 PM
The other issue I have with this free kick, which is more a criticism of the rule, is the location of the free kick. I believe a free kick should either be taken, regardless of where the offense occurred, where the ball presently is or if it is in flight where it is going. If the team already has possession in the form of a mark or free they should get a 50m penalty.

As it is if Lake did the exact same action at the other end of the field the free would have been in the centre circle. I fail to see why the punishment for the exact same action should have a variance of 100m and a direct shot at goal because that's where the player was. This is also a flaw of the time wasting rule thatRichmond guy got done for once, and that dissent rule fletcher had against us once. There should be no conceivable thing as a free goal from nowhere.

Eastdog
22-01-2013, 05:29 PM
There was arguments after that match on whether that Riewoldt goal at the end was touched. Who knows that could of made the difference and we could of been in the 2009 Grand Final. Was there a free kick there?

MrMahatma
22-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Umpire.

Roo tried it on, many do. Lake did nothing wrong. I only blame the ump.

Gee. I feel sick thinking about this.

always right
22-01-2013, 07:57 PM
The other issue I have with this free kick, which is more a criticism of the rule, is the location of the free kick. I believe a free kick should either be taken, regardless of where the offense occurred, where the ball presently is or if it is in flight where it is going. If the team already has possession in the form of a mark or free they should get a 50m penalty.

As it is if Lake did the exact same action at the other end of the field the free would have been in the centre circle. I fail to see why the punishment for the exact same action should have a variance of 100m and a direct shot at goal because that's where the player was. This is also a flaw of the time wasting rule thatRichmond guy got done for once, and that dissent rule fletcher had against us once. There should be no conceivable thing as a free goal from nowhere.

Unfortunately the rule is that the player takes their kick from the most advantageous position hence why a free kick in defence is taken in the centre.

Go_Dogs
22-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I struggle to argue against this type of sentiment, to be honest.

I've played it over and over in my head, and I can't help but think the narrative of the finals series was on the line and the umpire in the situation set things up perfectly for drama, and a desirable outcome.

In the 2008-2009 finals series preliminary finals I felt a very strong feeling that the media had a distinct idea of who should have been playing in the grand final, as did the administration. I can't think of a single commentator, or administrator that actually commented on how amazing it would be if we had have won our way through to the big dance as we weren't the "best" side throughout the year. Funny, in 2012 Sydney's potential seemed to be relished considerably more.

Brian didn't understand how stupid and powerful the games offialdom had become at that stage, nor how willing they were to affect the outcome of the game. Riewoldt did, and took advantage of it. AFL players aren't consistent in their intelligence or ethics, and nor are the umpires.

Nice post, agree with the lot and it's an interesting observation. Really annoys me though. 2009 especially, when we beat Geelong late in the year at Etihad it's very surprising we weren't given more of a chance by the media and administrators.

Topdog
22-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Whilst I vehemently disagree with the free kick paid, the reality is there are rules that Lake technically breached. I've highlighted them below. The most galling thing is the fact that no umpire to the best of my knowledge has paid such a free kick since the Lake episode. The other galling factor is the timing of the free kick against Lake and the significance of the match. It was simply over the top and could not be justified;

The umpire made it up. You could pick out a rule for literally every touch in the game being a free as despite it being a contact sport you aren't allowed to touch an opponent.

You cant touch them if they are 5m from the ball, you cant touch them too high or too low, you cant touch them if you aren't looking at the ball, on the arms, in the back, on the shoulder, cant use your hands even within 5m if you are behind them.

So yes you can pinpoint something in the rule book but the rule book is meant to be something that is done in the spirit of the game and also to be done consistently and throughout the entire game. The only time umpires are told to deviate if is the game is threatening to get out of control.

Diving Nick getting bumped is not such a threat. Lake should never have been threatened by something that is so far removed from the spirit of the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-01-2013, 10:21 PM
There was arguments after that match on whether that Riewoldt goal at the end was touched. Who knows that could of made the difference and we could of been in the 2009 Grand Final. Was there a free kick there?

Harbrow definitely touched it, but it's one of those that is always given the 'benefit of the doubt'.

Eastdog
22-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Harbrow definitely touched it, but it's one of those that is always given the 'benefit of the doubt'.

Yeah that's what they thought unfortunately for us. St Kilda's defensive press worked for them most of the time but at times in certain games teams could beat them. Personally I much prefer an attacking style of play.

LostDoggy
23-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Gee guys this is traumatic, I was at that game and felt sick. I attended with Bombers and a Tigers mate who were screaming at the umpiring throughout. They couldn't believe how calm I was....I was traumatised, nearly worse than 97...nearly. The Age pinpointed 5 goals St Kilda got from questionable or debatable frees that game, and they only got what 8 or 9? Even so we didn't take our chances when we had them unfortunately.

I don't blame Reiwoldt, he played it smart and won. But I still take petty pleasure in them not winning a GF and even barracked for the Pies - that is how much I don't like St Kilda...

I blame the umpiring 99% and Brian for being well...Brian :-)

AndrewP6
23-01-2013, 01:15 AM
That game (well, the end result!) devastated me. I can remember clearly, sitting stunned at the conclusion. I didn't leave for about ten minutes, I could barely move.

God I need a drink! :D

BulldogBelle
23-01-2013, 01:35 AM
After the game, and after sitting there for 10 minutes with my head buried in my lap, I bumped into an old friend of mine on the long train ride back.

She asked why I was being so quiet and that it was only a game. The comments infuriated me but I remained completely silent. Apologized the next day though of course.

That game really killed off a lot of love of the AFL for me.

Remi Moses
23-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Gee guys this is traumatic, I was at that game and felt sick. I attended with Bombers and a Tigers mate who were screaming at the umpiring throughout. They couldn't believe how calm I was....I was traumatised, nearly worse than 97...nearly. The Age pinpointed 5 goals St Kilda got from questionable or debatable frees that game, and they only got what 8 or 9? Even so we didn't take our chances when we had them unfortunately.

I don't blame Reiwoldt, he played it smart and won. But I still take petty pleasure in them not winning a GF and even barracked for the Pies - that is how much I don't like St Kilda...

I blame the umpiring 99% and Brian for being well...Brian :-)

Might have been the Karma bus at work the next week.
The Hawkins poster, the toe poke. Glad The pies beat them too.

always right
23-01-2013, 09:08 AM
The umpire made it up. You could pick out a rule for literally every touch in the game being a free as despite it being a contact sport you aren't allowed to touch an opponent.

You cant touch them if they are 5m from the ball, you cant touch them too high or too low, you cant touch them if you aren't looking at the ball, on the arms, in the back, on the shoulder, cant use your hands even within 5m if you are behind them.

So yes you can pinpoint something in the rule book but the rule book is meant to be something that is done in the spirit of the game and also to be done consistently and throughout the entire game. The only time umpires are told to deviate if is the game is threatening to get out of control.

Diving Nick getting bumped is not such a threat. Lake should never have been threatened by something that is so far removed from the spirit of the game.

I don't disagree with you. I'm simply saying the rule does exist.

soupman
23-01-2013, 11:29 AM

I remember being pretty sure that it was untouched based on the replays, and thus wasn't annoyed with that decision. Believe me I would hav been happy to blame the umpires for that too.

soupman
23-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately the rule is that the player takes their kick from the most advantageous position hence why a free kick in defence is taken in the centre.

Which is a stupid rule because it's an inequal punishment depending on whether you give away the free in your defensive half or attacking half which isn't fair.

My proposal still gives the other team an advantage without punishing the offending team through a guaranteed goal.

LostDoggy
23-01-2013, 11:57 AM
I remember being pretty sure that it was untouched based on the replays, and thus wasn't annoyed with that decision. Believe me I would hav been happy to blame the umpires for that too.

Yeh TBB is right, harbrow definitely touched it with benefit always given.

Mantis
23-01-2013, 11:58 AM

It was 6 of 9.

Footy sucks!!

LostDoggy
23-01-2013, 01:38 PM
It was 6 of 9.

Footy sucks!!

Yet if Gia had've nailed that goal we'd all be discussing something else. Such is life…

strebla
23-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Why am I tormenting myself by reading this !!!!!!!!

Bulldog4life
23-01-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't blame Riewoldt at all. If one our players had done the same and we won the game we'd all be calling the opposition a bunch of sooks for carrying on about it.

But I maintain that Lake had fair warning and should have known what Riewoldt was like. Riewoldt was quite within his rights to try to milk a free kick when he heard what the umpire said. His thought processes were one step ahead of Lake's. I would have expected nothing less of our players if the situation was reversed....which is to try anything to suck in an opponent in order to win a berth in a grand final.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

Ghost Dog
23-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Why am I tormenting myself by reading this !!!!!!!!

Let's pretend to start flaming each other so the mods close it...quick!

SonofScray
23-01-2013, 11:37 PM
It was 6 of 9.

Footy sucks!!

:mad:

Still stings. I felt we left the door ajar for this type of stat and dodgy free kicks to hurt us, but you just wonder if we'll ever get a run like that in a big game?

That and the non decision when Rooke molested Johnno just make me think that no one wants us there on the big day.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-01-2013, 02:08 AM
That and the non decision when Rooke molested Johnno just make me think that no one wants us there on the big day.

Even though it should have been a free, we only have ourselves to blame for this game. We missed something like 8 opportunities in a row, some of which didn't make the distance. It was extremely poor, but it got 'forgiven' because a) it was against Geelong and b) it was our first year challenging.

Not good enough though.

bornadog
24-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Not good enough though.

In the end, all the near misses over the years in the prelims point to that. You make your own luck and you take your opportunities when they present.

If you look back at all the prelims ( or the ones I have seen)

*1985 - lost by 10 points after level pegging at 3/4 time - Hawthorn take the opportunities and kick more goals.

* 1992 - Competitive for only the first quarter - yes we had excuses with injury etc but all teams do.

* 1997 - Adelaide actually played better for most of the day. We got a good lead going into the last then we dropped the ball game and didn't put the sustained effort into the last 15 minutes or so.

* 1998 - Never in it and arguably we were the best team in the Home & Away.

* 2008 - Geelong more confident - we can't kick goals.

* 2009 - Close game, we don't take the opportunities.

* 2010 - Lucky to make a prelim - gave it all and level at half time, but run out of legs as bodies bruised and battered over the season.

The Pie Man
24-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Yet if Gia had've nailed that goal we'd all be discussing something else. Such is life…

I think Gilbee's miss in the last quarter is more worthy of the 'what if' category.

And 2.5 in the first quarter.

Ahhh this is not the way to start the day.....

Mantis
24-01-2013, 11:36 AM
* 1998 - Never in it and arguably we were the best team in the Home & Away.

Are you sure?

We were about 5 goals down at 1/2 time, but we kicked the first 2 of the 2nd half and then Grant took a mark straight in front about 30m out to put us within 10 points, but instead of going back to kick the goal he tried to handball it off (I think to Huddo) and we muffed it... Adelaide kick the next few and we play dead after that.

If Grant had kicked that goal the momentum was ours and I think we would have gone on with it.

KT31
24-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Are you sure?

We were about 5 goals down at 1/2 time, but we kicked the first 2 of the 2nd half and then Grant took a mark straight in front about 30m out to put us within 10 points, but instead of going back to kick the goal he tried to handball it off (I think to Huddo) and we muffed it... Adelaide kick the next few and we play dead after that.

If Grant had kicked that goal the momentum was ours and I think we would have gone on with it.

Happened right in front of us, Grant had the yips that year but he should never have tried to give that one off.
It was Huddo and not even sure it was 30 metres, could have been 20 metres.

bornadog
24-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Are you sure?

Not saying you are wrong as all I can remember is being done like a dinner.

However as you say another game of what if and in the end not good enough.