PDA

View Full Version : 2013 - New Year, new tactics please.

Ghost Dog
20-01-2013, 11:48 PM
How are we going to evolve this season and what are some areas to look at?

Not related to the individual performance of players. Bigger picture stuff.

My two cents.

1. More confidence / leg strength to have a shot on goal from outside the 50.

2. Too slow to change match ups when it's not happening ( I get the learning curve argument, but less happy to see our young backs get destroyed for three quarters before a change is made this season ) Bit more proactive.

3. Use of the sub in a way that brought no real advantage to the side. Change that.

4. More mobile forward line in the first half of the season especially. It will be a year when entries could againl be few and far between. Once we have it in there, we need to keep it in there. A few good wins early on is what we need. Get some confidence.

How about you guys?

Eastdog
21-01-2013, 12:05 AM
A few areas that need big improving for me:

- Forward line delivery which was awful last season

- Skill level

- Goal kicking

- Fitness as our 2nd halves last year were unaccpetable. It's like we gave up.

- We need to be more competitive against all teams.

BulldogBelle
21-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Easier options presented from midfielders or dropping forwards to receive the ball from the defence.

Bob Murphy switching position will hurt us in that regard with his ideal overlapping, explosive game and laser pin-point accuracy on both feet, but hopefully Wood and JJ will be ready to take that area on. And possibly Lower if our midfield is full? But damn, we miss Harbrow.

It's one thing to say we have a model based on fiercely attacking and winning every contest, but ideally we should aim to avoid any contests when playing the ball from the defence at least until half forward where a turnover isn't likely to fly directly over our heads, giving our young and largely inexperienced defenders absolutely no chance.

Mofra
21-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Bob Murphy switching position will hurt us in that regard with his ideal overlapping, explosive game and laser pin-point accuracy on both feet, but hopefully Wood and JJ will be ready to take that area on. And possibly Lower if our midfield is full? But damn, we miss Harbrow.
I'm not so sure it will hurt us as much - Murphy often played a more lockdown style that hurt his run & carry, and at times JJ running out of defence looked very good (dare I say it - Harbrow like). If Wood can find a little more of the ball (he's only shown glimpses) he can help in that regard, although I see him more as someone who runs the ball through the opposition, not around them.
We'll also have Goodes playing on the HB line and there are slim chances of a Tutt opr Howard playing there too, although I'm not convinced by Howard and I think Tutt will play more midfield (especially if reports about his running capacity are true, he'd play a more Eagleton type role).

always right
21-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Hoping with Murphy pushing forward that we return to the days when opposition coaches had huge problems finding a suitable match-up for him.

LostDoggy
21-01-2013, 02:20 PM
A few areas that need big improving for me:

- Forward line delivery which was awful last season

- Skill level

- Goal kicking

- Fitness as our 2nd halves last year were unaccpetable. It's like we gave up.

- We need to be more competitive against all teams.

Can't argue with any of that.

F'scary
21-01-2013, 05:19 PM
1. Eliminate kicking backwards.

When we have control on the back line and can't see obvious inspirations upfield, stop the awful kicking backwards routines and instead just play low risk long kicks along the boundary to well contested (on our part) packs.

2. Marking not hand balling to retain possession.

Develop a keepings-off game by using more leading all over the ground. Lead. Lead. Lead. All day. Don't stop. Lead to the right areas. Honour leads. Support players making leads. Look to do this as a way of advancing the ball up the line. Try to break the opposition's spirit and concentration through retaining possession by continuous leading and marking plays.

3. Work on routines to protect against the turnover on the fat side of the ground.

4. Work on overlapping our lines so that when we get possession there is both spread and coverage.

BulldogBelle
21-01-2013, 05:31 PM
We'll also have Goodes playing on the HB line and there are slim chances of a Tutt opr Howard playing there too

How could I forget Goodes?! instant class in an area that's deprived of depth. And then there's Howard who will hopefully make an impact.

Ghost Dog
21-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Can we rework this for JJ? :)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8301/stacklogo.jpg

F'scary
21-01-2013, 07:36 PM

I do not understand. Is this what a Brownlow Medal looks like close up?

Go_Dogs
21-01-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm not so sure it will hurt us as much - Murphy often played a more lockdown style that hurt his run & carry, and at times JJ running out of defence looked very good (dare I say it - Harbrow like). If Wood can find a little more of the ball (he's only shown glimpses) he can help in that regard, although I see him more as someone who runs the ball through the opposition, not around them.

Tend to agree. Speaking with GVGir last year he referred to Wood (IIRC) as a straight line player which I thought was a good description. He's different to Murph, JJ and Harbrow in that regard, but like you I still hold hope he can become a somewhat reliable offensive player.

As far as improvement this year, for mine our ball movement particularly forward of centre and our spread, along with our skills are three big areas we have a lot of scope to improve.

Mofra
22-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Tend to agree. Speaking with GVGir last year he referred to Wood (IIRC) as a straight line player which I thought was a good description. He's different to Murph, JJ and Harbrow in that regard, but like you I still hold hope he can become a somewhat reliable offensive player.
So do I, but it depends on how we shift emphasis this year from "cracking in" to working on other parts of the game (by all accounts, we're doing more running & skills work this pre-season which are the two areas we really need to imporve on).

I still believe B-Mac is working to a multi-year plan (which the "sack the coach" crew seem to disagree on) and I'm hoping that gives players like Wood license to find a bit more easy ball rather than concentrating almost exclusively on contested ball.

I'd hate for Wood to end up like Cam Faulkner (can do the hard things well but not take the easy chances when they present themselves).

Mofra
22-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Personally, I think JJ has already shown more transferrable tricks for AFL than Stack ever did.

Best 22 by end of 2013, I'm convinced :cool:

soupman
22-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Considering the previous occupants of fan clubs have included the likes of Panos, Stack and McDougall I'm not sure it would be fair to induct JJ into the a go go club just yet.

bornadog
22-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Based on season 2012,

* we need to learn how to play football for a whole game.

* we need a game plan that doesn't just involve contested football and cracking in.

* learn how to kick

* deliver the football with accuracy to team mates.

Greystache
22-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I still believe B-Mac is working to a multi-year plan (which the "sack the coach" crew seem to disagree on) and I'm hoping that gives players like Wood license to find a bit more easy ball rather than concentrating almost exclusively on contested ball.

Agreed. I was baffled that all but the most negative of people would think that the contested ball and "crack in" mantra is all that we were going to pin our hopes on. We needed to make a fundamental change to our approach to the game to fit with our new coach's plans, every player being able to win their own ball and cope with physically strong teams is simply the basis of his game plan. This is in stark contrast to the all out attack and play on at all costs style we'd been playing for the last 6-7 years. McCartney's first year as coach was dedicated to changing this approach, which when factored with a list that was extremely young and physically under developed made for a tough year. We were very competitive with even the best sides but tired as the game went on.

Having put a year into developing the fundamental basis of his game style, I expect to see further development of our ball movement patterns, forward structure, and foot skills, and I have seen these areas being worked on heavily at training.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Agreed. I was baffled that all but the most negative of people would think that the contested ball and "crack in" mantra is all that we were going to pin our hopes on. We needed to make a fundamental change to our approach to the game to fit with our new coach's plans, every player being able to win their own ball and cope with physically strong teams is simply the basis of his game plan. This is in stark contrast to the all out attack and play on at all costs style we'd been playing for the last 6-7 years. McCartney's first year as coach was dedicated to changing this approach, which when factored with a list that was extremely young and physically under developed made for a tough year. We were very competitive with even the best sides but tired as the game went on.

Having put a year into developing the fundamental basis of his game style, I expect to see further development of our ball movement patterns, forward structure, and foot skills, and I have seen these areas being worked on heavily at training.

Getting better and more experienced players on the ground such as Morris, Cooney and Williams would help. We are still to develop two key forwards as a priority to becoming a more formidable unit. The move of Murphy to the forward line will add a touch of class. I agree with your sentiments on BMcC with the new approach which should eventually bear fruit.

Ghost Dog
22-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Getting better and more experienced players on the ground such as Morris, Cooney and Williams would help. We are still to develop two key forwards as a priority to becoming a more formidable unit. The move of Murphy to the forward line will add a touch of class. I agree with your sentiments on BMcC with the new approach which should eventually bear fruit.

This is true. One thing to have a Coach dictate a move, but you need players who can carry out those instructions for a full 4 quarters. Expect less leniency from the fans regarding the coach this season.

Remi Moses
22-01-2013, 09:33 PM
This is true. One thing to have a Coach dictate a move, but you need players who can carry out those instructions for a full 4 quarters. Expect less leniency from the fans regarding the coach this season.

Don't think the club are going to improve rapidly.
Need more competitiveness, if we get mauled l expect McCartney to cop some flak.
If supporters think otherwise in regards to wins, they 're kidding.

F'scary
22-01-2013, 10:42 PM

I have been very impressed by everything Macca has done with one exception: on field tactics & strategies in 2012. But I accept it was the first year and it was the bottoming-of-the -cycle year into the bargin. I am looking forward to 2013 to see what he does and have expectations that some good stuff will flow.

LostDoggy
23-01-2013, 12:35 AM
I am confident the list additions will add depth and strength to allow us to see out the season better.

If there was one thing I'd like to see it would be better skill by foot. It killed us going forward (and killed our forwards) and with turnovers conceding goals. Look out for L Jones to improve a lot with better delivery (and hopefully he is fitter to engage in repeat efforts in tackling and leading).

If there was two, three and four things, I'd like to see it would be Higgins, Grant and Wood live up to there talent. At times last year Wood looked a million bucks, but most of the time he looked bereft of confidence in contests and his decision making and foot skills were shocking. Higgins keeps getting called silky but I haven't seen good foot skills from him for a few years, he was far better when he started than what he is now, and he appears slow. And Grant...well total wildcard but has to be last chance saloon for him.

A lot of finger crossing next year. Murphy forward is essential (if his body can take it). Have high hopes for Kobe and his buddy Clay.