PDA

View Full Version : NAB Cup 2013

Go_Dogs
28-01-2013, 08:11 PM
So, we kick off on 15 Feb, not too long now (thankfully!).

Having a look at our matches, we've got Collingwood and Essendon in the first week, Hawthorn in week 2 and finish up with Freo. Some tough opponents but also a good chance for our guys to play against some hardened opposition. I expect all 4 sides to be up and about early in the season after their respectively disappointing ends to 2012.

Who are the 3 players you're most looking forward to seeing in the NAB Cup in our opening matches and why?

For mine, it's Cooney to see how he's moving, Stringer because we all want to see this man out there as soon as possible and Clay Smith who I really can't wait to see in action beating up on much more experienced players, who will one day soon dread playing against our midfield.

AndrewP6
28-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Stringer - there's been a lot said about him, I'm interested to see what he can bring to the side, and how he goes about his work.

Lower/Stevens - don't really know much about either, look forward to seeing what they can offer us.

Coons - just to see if he can get anywhere near some good form, and have a decent run at staying on the park.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Roberts/Stringer:
To emerge as the two key forwards that we so desperately need.
Murphy:
To at long last show his brilliance at half forward.
Campbell:
To continue to emerge as a talented ruckman and with Minson give us a powerful following division.

bornadog
28-01-2013, 09:22 PM
I want to see how the big guys perform.

The three draftees of 2008, Roughead, Cordy and Jones

Greystache
28-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Campbell- I thought he showed a lot last year off half a preseason. After another year in the system I think he can make an impact.

Roberts- Forward or back I'm keen to see if another preason of running and gym work will give us a hint of his potential

Stevens- To see if he can potentially add to our team.

lemmon
28-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Time for Cordy to show that he can clunk them in the front 50 consistently. Would love to see young Macrae get a bit of a run off a flank, class with the footy is something we desperately need

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Feels like I could list about twenty players such is our inexperienced and developing list, but I'll list these three:

Jason Johannisen - Big fan of JJ's, I really think he can become a very good player at the top level. He has all the attributes to make him a dangerous player, particularly in a side like ours. Quick, skillful, takes the game on and makes good decisions. His improvement trend has been swift considering how raw he was when he first arrived at the club, so I'll be interested to see how he performs in the NAB Cup given it's his third year in the system and first year on the senior list. It'll be interesting to see where he plays -- be it half back or wing. There's a case to be made for both, and although playing off HB is a good learning curve, I think he could be a damaging winger.

Clay Smith - His disposal by foot is his biggest weakness and the one area that will hold him back from becoming something special, but his work ethic is phenomenal. The fact that the coaching staff have regularly pointed out Smith as a 'model' to the rest of the group (including senior players) is a real testament to his character. His game improved a lot in the second half of last year, and it's clear he's been one of the best pre-season performers. Looks a lot bigger and stronger, and like Griff above, can't wait to see him hit some packs. I think he's a unique player, ruthless underestimates how damn ferocious this guy is.

Shaun Higgins - No secret that his debut year was super impressive and his 2009 was classy. Having watched over a few games from that year recently, his potential is obvious. I thought he showed some solid signs in the latter part of 2012 so hopefully with a full pre-season he can push into the midfield and become a complete player. If he doesn't do it this year, for whatever reason (injuries/form), it's hard to see him ever doing it. The reports have been positive though so I'll watch with interest. I guess, though, that Shaun has been a front runner in pre-seasons gone past so it's more about how he performs in the real season than the NAB cup.

Notable mentions go to Roberts and Talia who I both really like and Stringer, although my expectations of Jake are low for his first year.

always right
29-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Cooney: We can only hope he gets back to somewhere near his best

Jones: The great white hope up forward.

Morris: Be interesting to see if he has lost a yard.

F'scary
29-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Impossible to narrow it down to 3 specific players, so I have put down 3 classes of players.

1. All new comers to the list: ND recruits, trades, delisted free-agent signing, etc.
2. Players returning from serious injury: i.e., the Coon Dog & Morris.
3. Forwards who couldn't kick accurately for goal last year (to see if they've improved their kicking): Grant, Jones, Cordy.

LostDoggy
29-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Talia - the loss of Lake is huge and we need Talia to take giant steps this year. If he matures at the rate of his brother, I will be very happy.
Cordy - will he won't he make it?
Hrovat - speed around the contest? Yes please.

LostDoggy
29-01-2013, 01:30 PM
1. Tom Young - Not quite sure where he fits
2. Redpath - Offering?
3. Greenwood - As above

Ghost Dog
29-01-2013, 01:34 PM
JJ: Should be able to cut it up at this level, and is fun to watch.
Clay Smith: see above
Tom Cambell: I rate him a little higher than others. Think he will be a breakout player.

DragzLS1
29-01-2013, 01:44 PM
1. Tom Young - Not quite sure where he fits
2. Redpath - Offering?
3. Greenwood - As above

Agree with seeing what these guys can offer compared to the others, although Redpath is huge :s

Would Like to see if Cooney can move around freely and actually exctited about seeing Macrae play. Looks very classy and movement through traffic seems to be very very good at such a young age.. Could have another Pendlebury type here imo (no pressure offcourse :p)

Cyberdoggie
29-01-2013, 01:45 PM
There is always plenty to see but i guess a lot depends on how much the coaches rotate the squad.

Most likely hood is that the fringe players will get 1 game or part there of.

So i guess 3 that i'll look to see improvement in are:

1. Daniel Pearce: Looking to see a fitter larger player ready to mix with seniors.

2. Roughead: Has finally got a pre-season into his arms and looks to have some muscle for once. Might surprise a few.

3. Hrovat: This kid will be a our best first year player (of the kids),

Doc26
29-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Not so much about seeing 3 players in particular but eager to see improvement in 4 facets of our game from 2012.
1. Our kicking disposal effectiveness
2. Our ability to spread from a stoppage
3. Providing a strong (& tall) and reliable presence in the forward fifty
4. Our second half fade outs

Like a few others have mentioned, keen to see Hrovat's fit and development. Have high hopes on him and reckon we got him for a steal.

Eastdog
29-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Not so much about seeing 3 players in particular but eager to see improvement in 4 facets of our game from 2012.
1. Our kicking disposal effectiveness
2. Our ability to spread from a stoppage
3. Providing a strong (& tall) and reliable presence in the forward fifty
4. Our second half fade outs

Like a few others have mentioned, keen to see Hrovat's fit and development. Have high hopes on him and reckon we got him for a steal.

Hard to argue with those 4 points. I'm looking for that too and I hope all 4 of them can be improved in 2013. It will be good having the footy back for another season I haven't really got too much into the cricket.

Ghost Dog
29-01-2013, 02:24 PM
The redemption of Libba will be good to witness. I think he will tear himself a new one to get back the respect of the fans.

Eastdog
29-01-2013, 02:30 PM
The redemption of Libba will be good to witness. I think he will tear himself a new one to get back the respect of the fans.

From what I've been hearing his been training quite well. I'm sure he'll be ready to go.

Go_Dogs
29-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Hrovat - speed around the contest? Yes please.

I confess to being a little bit cool on the selection of Hrovat on draft day because I wasn't convinced he was really a type we needed but I've been very impressed with everything I've read and seen over summer to the point I'm extremely happy we grabbed him.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him in action and expect he can play quite a bit of senior footy this year.

Like the call of Redpath too M.R.M - hoping he gets some game time and shows a bit.

Mantis
29-01-2013, 03:43 PM

I thought it would be more important to get back the respect of the coaches and fellow players?

As a fan I couldn't care less what he does in his leisure time.

LostDoggy
29-01-2013, 03:52 PM
1) Jason Tutt - If you're up in the top end of the 1st running group mixing it with Cross and Boyd, you're setting yourself up. He can kick he can break lines. Shocking run with hammies last year, pumped to hear he is getting more professional in training standards, I'd like to see him on a wing, been a bit forgotten/flown under radar, I'm picking him to step it up this year to be a first 18 player.

2) Daniel Pearce - Massive fan of this kid, 1 full pre season isn't going to give him the tank he needs to go nuts for a whole game but reading he has developed in this area is pleasing. I'd like to see him on the other wing. Love his attack on the pill and player, takes the game on and really enjoy watching his intent.

3) JJ - Like most, everyone has got an eye on him, I'd like him off half back, one on one is improving. I'd like he and Brett Goodes to be our back half top 2 instrumental play makers that create and use the pill.

From what I've read and from training reports from fellow woofers, I'm not aware Adam Cooney missing to many sessions. If he is doing full training, and still able to do his heavy leg lifting he spoke about after Germany, seeing that man do his thing would be a MASSIVE lift to everyone.

I label those 3 and Coons because they have pace,Skill, and decision making. There is no doubt we are loaded with future top tier guns very inside, but what they don't have a heap of is BREAK LINE pace. That's my reasoning for these lads.

Go_Dogs
29-01-2013, 04:05 PM
I label those 3 and Coons because they have pace,Skill, and decision making. There is no doubt we are loaded with future top tier guns very inside, but what they don't have a heap of is BREAK LINE pace. That's my reasoning for these lads.

Can't argue with that, you're spot on. Our pure inside stocks look promising but getting more out of this group who have the ability to put the foot down is going to be a key component to our improvement this year.

Remember how excited we were watching Tutt debut down at AAMI - hoping he can replicate some of that excitement for us this year for sure.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Impossible to narrow it down to 3 specific players, so I have put down 3 classes of players.

1. All new comers to the list: ND recruits, trades, delisted free-agent signing, etc.
2. Players returning from serious injury: i.e., the Coon Dog & Morris.
3. Forwards who couldn't kick accurately for goal last year (to see if they've improved their kicking): Grant, Jones, Cordy.

I want to add to the categories, even if we are 'cheating' on the thread by adding categories:

4) The midfielders and their ability to deliver to the advantage of the forwards.

To me this critical and last year the mids were under too much pressure when they unloaded and this crucified the likes of Grant, Jones et al.

Ghost Dog
29-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I thought it would be more important to get back the respect of the coaches and fellow players?

As a fan I couldn't care less what he does in his leisure time.

Yes, I really meant 'Us'.

LostDoggy
29-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Can't argue with that, you're spot on. Our pure inside stocks look promising but getting more out of this group who have the ability to put the foot down is going to be a key component to our improvement this year.

Remember how excited we were watching Tutt debut down at AAMI - hoping he can replicate some of that excitement for us this year for sure.

Haha so right! 4 goals on debut, just like all the champs...yeh I'm talking about you as well Clay.

That Foxtel Cup game that was played a few weeks before that Port fixture was the last game Lukey D played for Williamstown, Tutt ran riot and JJ also made some of those Westies blokes look like Norwood did in the GF last year, 4th rate.

The good thing about our first few NAB games are they're against Pies, Hawks, Bombers, all of which have plenty of talent. Should be a solid hit out!

Go_Dogs
29-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Haha so right! 4 goals on debut, just like all the champs...yeh I'm talking about you as well Clay.

That Foxtel Cup game that was played a few weeks before that Port fixture was the last game Lukey D played for Williamstown, Tutt ran riot and JJ also made some of those Westies blokes look like Norwood did in the GF last year, 4th rate.

The good thing about our first few NAB games are they're against Pies, Hawks, Bombers, all of which have plenty of talent. Should be a solid hit out!

Good stat that one. :D

Yes, it was a great game against Westies, all 3 players were smooth movers and showed a lot of AFL traits that day. Dahl has transitioned those traits very well already and this must be the year for the other two.

I can't wait, not long now!

F'scary
29-01-2013, 05:45 PM
I want to add to the categories, even if we are 'cheating' on the thread by adding categories:

4) The midfielders and their ability to deliver to the advantage of the forwards.

To me this critical and last year the mids were under too much pressure when they unloaded and this crucified the likes of Grant, Jones et al.

^^^like.:cool:

Eastdog
29-01-2013, 05:50 PM

Absolutely. Our ball delivery to the forward line was shocking last year and that needs to get better. All the blame goes on the forwards but they can't really help it as the delivery was so poor.

w3design
29-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Absolutely. Our ball delivery to the forward line was shocking last year and that needs to get better. All the blame goes on the forwards but they can't really help it as the delivery was so poor.

While I agree 100% Easty that the delivery to our forwards was appalling, and gave them little or no hope, to me our problem up there went deeper than that.
And here I am not jumping on the "forwards are no good' bandwagon.

For mine the worst aspect of our forward line in 2012 was a total lack of a coherent structure or plan of how to make the area function.

That is not the fault of the individual players up there, but rather the direction they were [ or were not given].

We had what appears to be a strong plan for gaining possession in the midfield. Hopefully this year we will also have a plan for how to get it to the forwards once we have possession.

And, equally hopefully they will know where they need to go to receive the ball, and the confidence and skills to slot it through the goals on a match winning number of occasions each week.

Eastdog
29-01-2013, 09:29 PM
While I agree 100% Easty that the delivery to our forwards was appalling, and gave them little or no hope, to me our problem up there went deeper than that.
And here I am not jumping on the "forwards are no good' bandwagon.

For mine the worst aspect of our forward line in 2012 was a total lack of a coherent structure or plan of how to make the area function.

That is not the fault of the individual players up there, but rather the direction they were [ or were not given].

We had what appears to be a strong plan for gaining possession in the midfield. Hopefully this year we will also have a plan for how to get it to the forwards once we have possession.

And, equally hopefully they will know where they need to go to receive the ball, and the confidence and skills to slot it through the goals on a match winning number of occasions each week.

So your saying paulv the blame is more on Macca and the coaching. Macca has been with us for a year now so hopefully he will start to get the plans right this season, if not then his job could be in trouble.

Ghost Dog
29-01-2013, 09:55 PM
I remember in the North game mid season, therunnings sprinting, yelling at other players to get out of Cordy's way during forward plays.

w3design
30-01-2013, 12:15 AM
So your saying paulv the blame is more on Macca and the coaching. Macca has been with us for a year now so hopefully he will start to get the plans right this season, if not then his job could be in trouble.

No actually, I am inclined to feel the problem more likely lay with the line coach responsible for the forwards. [ Gut feeling just from watching from outside... I do not have any inside information to back this up].
As a first year coach I suspect B Mac might have not been inclined to ride roughshod over his appointed assistants even if they were not producing. Hopefully this year whoever is responsible for how the forward 50 functions will be right on the ball, and making certain the players are too.
In his second season hopefully Mac has the confidence to oversee the whole show if things are not going to best plan.

always right
30-01-2013, 09:09 AM
No actually, I am inclined to feel the problem more likely lay with the line coach responsible for the forwards. [ Gut feeling just from watching from outside... I do not have any inside information to back this up].
As a first year coach I suspect B Mac might have not been inclined to ride roughshod over his appointed assistants even if they were not producing. Hopefully this year whoever is responsible for how the forward 50 functions will be right on the ball, and making certain the players are too.
In his second season hopefully Mac has the confidence to oversee the whole show if things are not going to best plan.

Wow....some big assumptions there.

G-Mo77
30-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Stringer's the main one I'm looking forward to seeing. Living in his home town I hear a lot about the kid and how good he's going to be. OK, I'm buying into the hype here but it's someone I'm really looking forward to seeing.

I've fell in love with Clay Smith and can't wait to see him play with another pre-season under his belt.

Dale Morris. I'm sure we'll see him at some point in the series. If it's only 5 minute bursts I'm looking forward to seeing him out there again.

w3design
30-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Wow....some big assumptions there.

For sure AR, and I think I said so pretty clearly. It is just a gut feeling, nothing more.
But I have watched a hell of a lot of games at various levels over more years than I am comfortable admitting, and think that I generally get a reasonable sense of the game.

Eastdog
31-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Does anyone know what the ticketing is for Round 1 of the NAB Cup? I believe general admission is on Level 1 and 3. I'd say you can't use your membership card for the NAB Cup.

always right
31-01-2013, 08:36 AM
For sure AR, and I think I said so pretty clearly. It is just a gut feeling, nothing more.
But I have watched a hell of a lot of games at various levels over more years than I am comfortable admitting, and think that I generally get a reasonable sense of the game.

Fair enough.

LostDoggy
31-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Liam Jones: After hearing that LJ has stood out to strength and conditioning coach Andy Barnett for his professionalism and hard work over the pre-season, can't wait to see how he goes out on the field.

Jason Tutt: Also been a big performer this pre-season which will hopefully translate into Tutty realising his undoubted talent and becoming the player we so sorely need.

Nick Lower/Koby Stevens: Haven't seen a lot of either player in years past, but the coaching staff are rapt to have both on board and could well be great pick ups for our Club.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-01-2013, 03:51 PM
A bit tough to blame the coaching staff when 4 players in Jones Cordy Grant and Gia were not competitive for long periods, which was abig cause in losing 11 games on the trot. Dahlhaus and Dickson showed the way in attack but it wasn't enough. That is why the development of Stringer Roberts and Campbell becomes so important together with Murphy moving forward to give us some hope of improving.

bornadog
31-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Does anyone know what the ticketing is for Round 1 of the NAB Cup? I believe general admission is on Level 1 and 3. I'd say you can't use your membership card for the NAB Cup.

Check post number one and two.

Eastdog
31-01-2013, 08:37 PM
Check post number one and two.

Nothing about the ticketing there BAD reading through the posts.

GVGjr
31-01-2013, 09:42 PM

Your club membership is for the H&A season. The NAB cup will require you to pay for your tickets.

Eastdog
31-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Your club membership is for the H&A season. The NAB cup will require you to pay for your tickets.

Thanks for that GVGjr.

bornadog
01-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Nothing about the ticketing there BAD reading through the posts.

Sorry wrong thread.

Eastdog
01-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Sorry wrong thread.

That's ok BAD. GVGjr posted about the ticketing.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Dale Morris - love The Glove

bulldogsman
02-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Tutt - Has he ever played in a NAB cup game? It should suit him as he should be able to find more space especially with his increased endurance, the interchange bench being capped and not to mention it's a NAB cup game. Hopefully he has a good one and it gives him the confidence to carry it on through the season.

Goodes - With a team that's just lost Hargrave, Gilbee, Lake and with Murphy moving to the forward line I'm hoping to see some good run and leadership coming out of the back line. Hopefully he plays well, we need him.

Jones - I thought his work ethic was really bad towards the end of last season and his confidence was just shot. Good to hear Andy Barnett giving him some praise, looking forward to seeing why he was given that praise. Hoping to see a much stronger and hopefully fitter Jones as he certainly has the ability to make it. I'd also like to see an improvement in his kicking action. I have high hopes for him.

Roughead - Interested to see him now that's had a full preseason training as a backman. I liked what I saw last year from somone that's new to the position. His speed off the mark especially and his overall speed will need to improve so I'll be looking out for that.

LostDoggy
02-02-2013, 04:43 PM
1. JJ - speed and skill, can he cement a spot in our backline?
2. Liam Jones / Ayce Cordy - who is going to stand up for us as a key forward target?
3. Lin Jong - i have a really good feel about him and reckon his rapid improvement will continue.

Notable mentions: Brett Goodes and Jake Stringer to see what they can bring to the table this season.

Cyberdoggie
11-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Apparently Jones was second best to Harley Bennell in the All Stars game, kicking 2 goals and marking strongly against the tiges.

A positive start at least, let's hope it continues and the focus isn't all on him in the forward line for us this year.

Got this bit of info from the AFL website re injuries:

"The Western Bulldogs are likely to have just one player unavailable for Friday night's clashes against Collingwood and Essendon. Draftee Nathan Hrovat picked up a minor quad injury at training recently and the club is set to err on the side of caution this week with the 18 year old. Despite a full complement of senior players to choose from, the Dogs are set to unleash a host of youngsters throughout the pre-season competition. 2012 recruits Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae, Josh Prudden and father-son selection Lachie Hunter have all been earmarked to feature prominently in Brendan McCartney's plans. "

DragzLS1
11-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Apparently Jones was second best to Harley Bennell in the All Stars game, kicking 2 goals and marking strongly against the tiges.

A positive start at least, let's hope it continues and the focus isn't all on him in the forward line for us this year.

Got this bit of info from the AFL website re injuries:

"The Western Bulldogs are likely to have just one player unavailable for Friday night's clashes against Collingwood and Essendon. Draftee Nathan Hrovat picked up a minor quad injury at training recently and the club is set to err on the side of caution this week with the 18 year old. Despite a full complement of senior players to choose from, the Dogs are set to unleash a host of youngsters throughout the pre-season competition. 2012 recruits Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae, Josh Prudden and father-son selection Lachie Hunter have all been earmarked to feature prominently in Brendan McCartney's plans. "

I like the sound of playing all these youngsters in the pre season comp even though we have all our seniors to choose from. Hopefully Hrovat gets over the quad and gets a few NAB cup games in.

bornadog
11-02-2013, 03:11 PM

Prices (http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/nab-cup-2013-tickets)

You going Eastdog?

Eastdog
11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Prices (http://www.afl.com.au/tickets/nab-cup-2013-tickets)

You going Eastdog?

Most likely BAD with my brother who is a Collingwood supporter. Be good to see all the youngsters in action.

bulldogsfight
11-02-2013, 07:19 PM
AFL members get free admission to nab cup

Doc26
11-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Big tick for the Club today in being bold enough to put Jackson out in front of the media throng for the launch of the NAB Cup. He spoke very well for a kid who has only just started his senior AFL journey. It is always refreshing to hear from those who are not the usual media suspects and particularly those who can expand beyond yes, no or cliched responses.

Ozza
12-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Big tick for the Club today in being bold enough to put Jackson out in front of the media throng for the launch of the NAB Cup. He spoke very well for a kid who has only just started his senior AFL journey. It is always refreshing to hear from those who are not the usual media suspects and particularly those who can expand beyond yes, no or cliched responses.

He was very good. All of the new boys have spoken really well whenever on camera so far (predominantly Bulldogs TV).

I'm sure a few posters have the 'Western Bulldogs Pulse' application on their iPhones - for those who don't, all of the players Twitter updates come up in the app. I must say - the new boys tweets are usually pretty good - they all sound enthusiastic about training and about the club - and there's no nonsense* tweets.

*Not quite the same story with the tweets of the 20-22yr old group!!

Eastdog
14-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Got my ticket today at ticketmaster Chadstone so ill be going tomorrow night. It's great to have the footy back.