PDA

View Full Version : The 1997 team vs the 2006 team - scraggers better than skill and speed?

Dry Rot
20-01-2007, 11:23 PM
The '97 team came damn close to winning a PF. The injury riddled but fast and skilled 'o6 team made it to week 2 of the finals.

To be fair, almost 10 years on the game has changed but which team/style do you prefer?

Living in Sydney and an ex-NRL fan, I loved the old scragger style. But the Eade/speed attack game plan is damn fun to watch when it works (most of the time).

Which style do you prefer to watch?

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2007, 11:37 PM
This era is clearly more attractive to the eye with fast running and plenty of goals, so as a spectators point of view, I'd have to say I prefer to watch this. It's extremely exciting and it keeps you on the edge of your seat right throughout the entire game.

1997 was an enjoyable year though and whilst not ultimately successful, it was a good brand of Football that we mastered. Arguably was the difference though between us being Premiers in the 97-2000 period though as we lacked a bit of pace and skill.

Now, the tables have turned, and we lack a bit of mongrel. That's why Hahn is incredibly important to this side as he offers us so much in the way of the contested football. With him at his best, plus Westy, Cross, Boyd, Robbins & even Gia in the midfield/forward half we're in a much better position to have ana ssult on the Flag I think than '97, because we have a bit of both, rather than all of one. Though, we aren't particuarly strong in the mongrel area I think it can improve. Higgins & Griffen are both good tacklers and will play more midfield this year.

southerncross
20-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I see the value in both styles. I loved our determined approach back in the old days but can also appreciate the free running style of the team that we see now.

I'd like to see an extra dour defender or tagging midfielder in the Romero mould but our attendence has never been stronger so I suggest that the vast majority of our supporters prefer todays footy than that of the 90's

LostDoggy
20-01-2007, 11:57 PM
This era is clearly more attractive to the eye with fast running and plenty of goals, so as a spectators point of view, I'd have to say I prefer to watch this. It's extremely exciting and it keeps you on the edge of your seat right throughout the entire game.

I agree with this. The Scraggers of old have improved and now play possibly the most attractive football in Victoria.

Eade kept mentioning that the list is bigger, stronger and quicker that the previous season so I can see a slight modification on last years game plan which will revolve around being stronger in contested situations.

Wayne Campbell has a big role in shaping a more accountable and physical midfield while still providing heaps of drive.

bornadog
22-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Its amazing how the game keeps changing, just when you think it can't possibly change but it does. What will the next ten years bring? How will the game change.

I must admit I love the present style of game we play but agree that our defence can be caught out at times. Maybe the future will be a combination of a great defence with a fast and furious forward thrust.

Dry Rot
24-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I must admit I love the present style of game we play but agree that our defence can be caught out at times. Maybe the future will be a combination of a great defence with a fast and furious forward thrust.

I always wonder whether our defence getting caught out really reflects defensive problems further up the field NB the ball just pinging staight back out of our forwardline.

Hard Ball Get
24-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Todays team is a more attractive team to watch however I love a good scrap.
Its a good question. I know at times it suits us but I dont really like the uncontested fast 'basketball' style run and rebound game. I prefer contested footy where players are man on man and space is limited.

Having said that, I prefer to watch us win so as long as we do that I'm not to fussed with our style.

Dry Rot
24-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Is it fair to say that now we are the hunted ie lock down teams like the Crows and Sydney are kind of the new scraggers, and give us a hard time while we can match the free flowing Eagles?

southerncross
25-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Is it fair to say that now we are the hunted ie lock down teams like the Crows and Sydney are kind of the new scraggers, and give us a hard time while we can match the free flowing Eagles?

I think that the Swans play that scragging type of game and the Crows play a more accountable style. The differnce might have someting to do where they play the majority of their games. The Swans on a smaller group that probably encourages the scragging lock down style and the Crows playing accountable football on the bigger ground.

Perhaps we need to find a balance between the two styles.

Dry Rot
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
I think that the Swans play that scragging type of game and the Crows play a more accountable style.

Do our training drills this season suggest that we are going to get a bit more of either style into our game this year?

alwaysadog
22-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Do our training drills this season suggest that we are going to get a bit more of either style into our game this year?

Until I watched the 2nd quarter of last Friday's praccy match from the club website I would have thought we would be far more frequent and harder in the tackle and have improved our skills. Now I'm confused, it looks very sloppy unaccountable and skill free.

Let's hope Rocket is right that the wind played havoc.