PDA

View Full Version : Lifelong loyalty

Greystache
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Community/silvia%201.JPG

Every Bulldogs home game began with a short walk to Whitten Oval for 90-year-old member Sylvia Decampo and her family — 80 years on, the pilgrimage is a little longer, but the dedicated supporter still shows up to watch her beloved team play.

The game has changed and evolved from the early days, as has Sylvia’s experience of going to the football – her view from her seat at Etihad Stadium vastly different to standing amongst the crowd, trying to see the play between the sea of people.

“I have been going to the football since I was a little girl, so it would be in the 80 years at least,” Sylvia said.

“I used to love it here – we used to just stand on the… rise there and we were only small, so we were moving around all the time to see the football. It wasn’t easy.

“I saw Normy Ware, [Alby] Morrison, Peter Box. Harry Hickey was my favourite.”

Lucky enough to witness the Bulldogs 1954 Premiership win, Sylvia still believes it was worth the wait, to be there amongst the crowd at the MCG when her team won the ultimate prize.

“We won and that’s all that mattered – we were standing in the southern stand, because there was no grandstand then… we still had trouble seeing my sister and I,” she joked.

Bestowing her love for the Bulldogs on her children and eventually grandchildren, Sylvia has kept the family tradition alive.

She began taking her granddaughter Danni along as her football companion from the age of three - now thirty, Danni is the one helping Sylvia get to the ground.

While Harry Hickey originally took the mantle as her favourite player, a number of selfless and courageous players have caught her eye over the years.

“I kept a photo of Hickey from the newspaper, but [also] Scotty West and Daniel Cross – they go for the ball themselves,” she said.

“I like the two younger fellas Libba [Tom Liberatore] and [Mitch] Wallis … [and] I like [Dahlhaus]. He’s a smart little player… I suppose all the young girls would all go for him.”

When asked if she had ever considered changing allegiances, Sylvia was adamant in her response of “no, no way”.

“If you take on something you should stick to it. There’s not enough loyalty now, anywhere. That’s how I feel anyway,” she said.

“It’s just something I look forward to and whether they win or they lose, once it’s over, that’s it.

“You get a bit worked up while it is on, but that’s it.”

Filling her time in the pre-season watching game replays, Sylvia is excited for the upcoming football season with an eye on which of the Bulldogs young brigade will step up – and of course to see Daniel Cross return to the field again.

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-01-31/lifelong-loyalty)

bornadog
02-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Love stories like this. I hope I see a premiership by the time I am their age:(

Remi Moses
02-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Not enough loyality
Ain't that the truth

Ghost Dog
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
That generation who were at 54 will soon no longer be able to tell their stories. Would be good to round up a few more.

Bulldog4life
03-02-2013, 12:21 PM
That generation who were at 54 will soon no longer be able to tell their stories. Would be good to round up a few more.

My dad and mum who are 94 & 89 respectively and live with my wife and myself are still avid bulldog fans although not up to going to the matches. They still buy their memberships each year and they manage to go to the East West day each year. My dad was at the 54 grand final and took me to the 61 Grand Final. We have talked about the 54 premiership often over the years and it is great to hear his stories.

Ghost Dog
03-02-2013, 12:31 PM
My dad and mum who are 94 & 89 respectively and live with my wife and myself are still avid bulldog fans although not up to going to the matches. They still buy their memberships each year and they manage to go to the East West day each year. My dad was at the 54 grand final and took me to the 61 Grand Final. We have talked about the 54 premiership often over the years and it is great to hear his stories.

Awesome. Would they be up to doing a taped interview? It's such a precious opportunity.

Bulldog4life
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Awesome. Would they be up to doing a taped interview? It's such a precious opportunity.

I think they would GD. What did you have in mind?

Ghost Dog
03-02-2013, 01:39 PM
I think they would GD. What did you have in mind?

I'll PM you.

bornadog
03-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Great age and great to hear they are still passionate supporters. At least you got to see a grand final, lots of us haven't even had that privilege.

Bulldog4life
03-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Great age and great to hear they are still passionate supporters. At least you got to see a grand final, lots of us haven't even had that privilege.

Ours is a very passionate Bulldogs household as I imagine it is with a lot of the contributors to WOOF. Within our extended family the theme song has been played at weddings, funerals and birthdays. I still remember the 1961 GF vividly BAD. We were in front at half, which was exciting in itself, but the Hawks ran all over us in the second half. We had some great players in that team. EJ...the best of course, John Schultz, John Jillard, Bob Spargo, Alex Gardiner, Graham Ion...and I could go on.

bornadog
03-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Ours is a very passionate Bulldogs household as I imagine it is with a lot of the contributors to WOOF. Within our extended family the theme song has been played at weddings, funerals and birthdays. I still remember the 1961 GF vividly BAD. We were in front at half, which was exciting in itself, but the Hawks ran all over us in the second half. We had some great players in that team. EJ...the best of course, John Schultz, John Jillard, Bob Spargo, Alex Gardiner, Graham Ion...and I could go on.

I was 5 then and we just moved to Barkly street. My dad took me to all the home games but I can't remember much.:)

Bulldog4life
03-02-2013, 09:21 PM
I was 5 then and we just moved to Barkly street. My dad took me to all the home games but I can't remember much.:)

If only you could.:)

Remi Moses
04-02-2013, 12:06 AM
I always hear how Brendan Edwards killed us and Hawthorn were fitter than us.

Bulldog4life
04-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I always hear how Brendan Edwards killed us and Hawthorn were fitter than us.

Correct. He had over 40 possessions I think. We had some hard matches leading into the GF. John Kennedy coached the Hawks. They were called Kennedy's commandos

LostDoggy
06-02-2013, 10:58 AM
What a great story, and yes, we can only hope for such loyalty from our supporters. We are a mixed race family (not sure how that happened), but we played the Bulldogs theme song at my mother's funeral, just as she would have wanted it. You've just gotta stick, through the good times and the tough :D