PDA

View Full Version : Dylan Addison

Go_Dogs
04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Dylan is one of the most interesting players on the list for mine. He's played just over 75 games now and really, 2012 was the year he established himself as a regular, missing games only through his broken jaw. He was finally settled in up forward where a number of us had been calling for him to play consistently over the past three or so seasons.

He's a tough player, he'll win his ball, he'll contest in the air and he'll scrap for every inch. His marking and hands generally are quite good and he's a fairly neat shot on goal too. I think his disposal and decision making have both improved and he shouldn't be regarded as a liability in this area.

The one thing that I'm most impressed with over the pre-season is Addison's apparent "hot time", to quote Christian Howard, in the 20m sprint. If he's been able to improve his speed over this distance, it leaves him well positioned to continue up forward. He will perhaps surprise a few defenders with his ability to create a little separation on the lead and should be better able to shut down space and time in a defensive sense.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes this year. I expect him to be up there in our tackle count, but I'd really like to see him kick 25 goals for the year too.

What are you looking forward to seeing from Addison in 2013?

LostDoggy
04-02-2013, 09:50 AM
I've always loved Addz, love the attitude he brings to the contest. He'd be well aware he's not the most skilled or talented (or fastest) bloke out there but he never lets that bother him.

I think he could work very well with Dahlhaus, giving us a potent small forward mix to help take some of the heat off Cordy, Jones, etc. That's what I want to see out of Dylan this year.

ReLoad
04-02-2013, 10:03 AM
I think his disposal and decision making have both improved and he shouldn't be regarded as a liability in this area.

Mate, tell him he is dreaming.......

Seriously, his disposal and decision making are a liability, certainly highlighted when he was playing a defensive role, as a forward these inefficiencies get masked.

As a person who has questioned why DFA was in our squad (let alone team) last year I was pleasantly surprised by what he brought to the team , predominantly because all the kids bodies meant they were getting smashed and DFA is no shrieking violet.

I would still question going forward if he is in the best 18, and what improvement you could expect from him as opposed to a young player with more "potential" upside?

Ozza
04-02-2013, 10:15 AM
He certainly had his best year - last year. I'm not sure whether it was that the group performed poorly and so he looked better, but regardless, he had a good year.

Addison has always tested very well over the 20m sprints. Unfortunately he is a player that tests 'fast' but plays 'slow'.

I don't mind him as a forward - he's quite a good kick for goal. But I'm not sure where he fits long term if we see improvement from the young forwards.

always right
04-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Mate, tell him he is dreaming.......

Seriously, his disposal and decision making are a liability, certainly highlighted when he was playing a defensive role, as a forward these inefficiencies get masked.

As a person who has questioned why DFA was in our squad (let alone team) last year I was pleasantly surprised by what he brought to the team , predominantly because all the kids bodies meant they were getting smashed and DFA is no shrieking violet.

I would still question going forward if he is in the best 18, and what improvement you could expect from him as opposed to a young player with more "potential" upside?

I gather a "shrieking violet" is a louder version of a "shrinking violet":)

I think his decision making can be questionable but his kicking is more than adequate. My biggest knock on him is his lack of agility and recovery when the ball hits the turf.

Love his hard at it attitude however and he has a habit of making it difficult for younger players to force him out of the side.

stefoid
04-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Mac is bringing mature-bodied, 'addison-like' players onto the list, not dropping them - he'll be around for a couple more seasons yet, even if he doesnt make best 22.

BulldogBelle
04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Should have been delisted at the end of 2006 when it became obvious that he would never make it to at least B grade level. He is one of the many duds that Eade hung onto for years, contributing to our present predicament. By delisting him we might have got a good player. He reminds me of a set of open barn doors and is able to single-handedly lose games.

Doesn't amaze me that some people here keep on extolling him. They must be his relatives.

Dazza
04-02-2013, 04:36 PM
^^^Harsh

I'm a fan of his.

DragzLS1
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Love the way us goes about it has a similar attitude to Picken and that is never say die! If he continues to work hard then I can see a spot for him on our list. Wether he will be best 22 in 2 years time is a subject we may touch on then. For now we need his hard at it attitude to give the younger guys a taste of what is required. Seems a good guy too. Unfortunately does lack in game decision making but is good at applying that pressure back when he doesn't have the ball. Will be interesting to watch how he goes on 2013 and may surprise a few.

gohardorgohome
04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I like him. Hard at it. Disposal efficiency was 77% last year. He has a red hot go.

westbulldog
04-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Unlike some who show 'potential' every year but don't perform', Addison makes the most of his ability, has a go, is an improved player and is worthy of senior selection.

GVGjr
04-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Addison will always be a player that struggles to hold his spot in the best 22 but I think he's also been a player worth keeping on the list.

He's versatile and tough but with the likes of Lower and Stevens now at the club he might have moved further down the pecking order.

Big year for him.

bulldogtragic
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Couldn't agree more.

w3design
04-02-2013, 10:21 PM
For years I have felt that DA was unfairly vilified by Bulldogs fans, and undervalued by coaches and some team mates.
He has always been courage personified, in the Cross/Picken type mould.
Yes he has skill limitations, but for heaven's sake, so do 95+% of other players on the field at any given moment.
If that [ weaknesses] is what one chooses to look for, that is exactly what you will find.

Without knowing the guy, I tend to suspect that his major problem is that he is not an up front/in your face type personality. Quiet ???
I am glad he has been moved forward after a stint down back, and hope he has finally found a niche for himself as a defensive forward.

He has always been able to find space for himself, presenting himself as an option to receive a pass. It was frustrating no doubt for himself, but also as an observer to see him time and time again manage to get out on his own in preparation to receive a pass, only to see team mates kick to someone else who was completely covered by opposition while DA stood alone like the proverbial shag on a rock completely unmarked.
Sure, particularly in his early days his disposal was a little hit or miss, but surely alone and unmarked he was frequently a better option than many that were preferred to him at those times.

Dylan will never be a Cooney or a Griffin, but for mine he offers more in our front 50 than some who get far more chances down there. At the very least, he makes defenders accountable, which is more than can be said for a number of players with far higher profiles.

LostDoggy
04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Should have been delisted at the end of 2006 when it became obvious that he would never make it to at least B grade level. He is one of the many duds that Eade hung onto for years, contributing to our present predicament. By delisting him we might have got a good player. He reminds me of a set of open barn doors and is able to single-handedly lose games.

Doesn't amaze me that some people here keep on extolling him. They must be his relatives.

I'd pick him over Grant 22 times a year.

And no, I'm not his relative.

Ghost Dog
04-02-2013, 11:36 PM

I saw him take a massive ride, then a back flop on the Etihad tarmac V North in 2011. Right in front of me. Just got up and wobbled off with a splutter or two. I have a few good Dylan memories. Must be loving it now Rocket has gone. He can actually get a game.

Ghost Dog
04-02-2013, 11:42 PM
For years I have felt that DA was unfairly vilified by Bulldogs fans, and undervalued by coaches and some team mates.

Dylan will never be a Cooney or a Griffin, but for mine he offers more in our front 50 than some who get far more chances down there. At the very least, he makes defenders accountable, which is more than can be said for a number of players with far higher profiles.

Runs like a border collie after a frisbee when going back with the flight of the ball. Completely oblivious to anything else in the park.

w3design
04-02-2013, 11:52 PM

Here- here - here !!!

LostDoggy
05-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Dylan is one of the most interesting players on the list for mine. He's played just over 75 games now and really, 2012 was the year he established himself as a regular, missing games only through his broken jaw. He was finally settled in up forward where a number of us had been calling for him to play consistently over the past three or so seasons.

He's a tough player, he'll win his ball, he'll contest in the air and he'll scrap for every inch. His marking and hands generally are quite good and he's a fairly neat shot on goal too. I think his disposal and decision making have both improved and he shouldn't be regarded as a liability in this area.

The one thing that I'm most impressed with over the pre-season is Addison's apparent "hot time", to quote Christian Howard, in the 20m sprint. If he's been able to improve his speed over this distance, it leaves him well positioned to continue up forward. He will perhaps surprise a few defenders with his ability to create a little separation on the lead and should be better able to shut down space and time in a defensive sense.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how he goes this year. I expect him to be up there in our tackle count, but I'd really like to see him kick 25 goals for the year too.

What are you looking forward to seeing from Addison in 2013?

I've always wanted Addo to do well, his skills can let him down but he makes up for it in grit. I'm sure macca is a fan too. I would rather him in my team than one of the highly talented lazy players that are about. Probably never going to be a regular best 22 but not far off it. A great depth player to have and will always be required to fill a hole.

I expect another 8-12 games for him in 2013. What's the EkeR qualification? He could be one of the greatest.

LostDoggy
05-02-2013, 12:09 AM

Would you pick him over Cooney? Purely based on 2012 form.

LostDoggy
05-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Never said that. Nobody would pick him over Cooney. Especially not this year, if what we're hearing is correct, Cooney may be the first name on the sheet each week.

My core point was that I'd rather see blokes like Dylan Addison, Daniel Cross, Liam Picken, than some of the “lesser mongrel” types. Maybe I was just spoilt growing up in the era of Dougie, Danny Southern, Libba (snr) etc. — for me, heart and courage can make up for a dodgy kick. Look at Scott Wynd, hardly ever kicked it and won the Brownlow.

LostDoggy
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM

I love this post, but don't agree with it. 'Open Barn Doors'?:confused:

During the trade period i'd have been thinking about a potential deal with GWS - to get them an experienced, hard bodied utility, may have been worth a late 2nd, early third (basically where we picked him up). The draft obviously wasnt that deep past those numbers anyway.

However i think he does have value for us. He's cover for a Picken/Wood type and is that third or fourth medium/tall forward. He's probably the best Utility we have on the list.

He's at 75 games. You'd think he'd get the 100 over the next two years. At that stage we'll see where the the last three drafts have got us. May even get a 'Un-named" Addison in 20 years time.

Maddog37
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I think he has continually improved which for me was illusttrated best when he was getting tagged playing midfield for Willi. He may just be the old fashioned Hawthorn long apprenticeship type.

Having said that, even though he has improved I reckon he will need to continue that upward trend to hold his place in the team.

Bulldog Joe
05-02-2013, 02:01 PM

He did give more value than Cooney in 2012.

always right
05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
He did give more value than Cooney in 2012.

If you knew that you were going to get the 2012 version of Cooney again this year....you would have to go with Addison. It would be such a boost to the club and supporters to see "explosive Cooney" again rather than "plodding Cooney". It was so demoralising last year to see Cooney run down from behind.....that never used to happen.

bornadog
05-02-2013, 02:36 PM

You never let up do you about the Eade era. Unfortunately, this was one of our most successful periods as far as finals go, as pathetic as that does sound as we never made it to a grand final. But calling players of that era DUDS as you have in many of your post is really pathetic in itself. Please give reasons why players are not good enough in your opinion and not one liners like duds. Show a little respect.

As for Addison, he may not be one of the most skilled players, and I haven't been a big fan of his, but he shows guts determination, gives 110% every week and has actually performed in finals. He had a very good year last year and deserves a place in the team.

LostDoggy
06-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Never said that. Nobody would pick him over Cooney. Especially not this year, if what we're hearing is correct, Cooney may be the first name on the sheet each week.

My core point was that I'd rather see blokes like Dylan Addison, Daniel Cross, Liam Picken, than some of the “lesser mongrel” types. Maybe I was just spoilt growing up in the era of Dougie, Danny Southern, Libba (snr) etc. — for me, heart and courage can make up for a dodgy kick. Look at Scott Wynd, hardly ever kicked it and won the Brownlow.

Sorry BAS you have misread my post, I am genuinely asking the question. I find it difficult to answer myself, if My man Adam cannot improve on last years efforts would you prefer him over my other man Dylan? I am lean towards the latter for consistency reasons. It's a big hypothetical.

F'scary
06-02-2013, 01:34 PM
DFA is alright. More a defender than a forward but he tried hard and did well enough when switched forward in 2012.

LostDoggy
06-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Give me a Dyl Addison over a super talented lazy bugger any day.

w3design
06-02-2013, 09:52 PM
give me a dyl addison over a super talented lazy bugger any day.

ditto !!!!!!!

SonofScray
06-02-2013, 11:53 PM
He'll never be a star. But that is the case for the majority of AFL standard footballers. He has improved with each year we've held onto him, performed various roles where needed with a few reasonable successes. Discovered he can take a good grab, sniff a goal and provide cover for our more hard nosed mids.

Keep giving him a role and chances to perform and I'd imagine we'd break even on his current standard of play.

jeemak
07-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Addison is another player that will need to show after the 75-100 game mark his worth to the side as a mature footballer. Our club lacks genuine utilities in his age bracket, and with any luck he'll become a player that can perform a role across the ground in multiple positons where required, until someone with more talent and the same desire comes along and owns those positions for themselves.

With Dylan you're not going to get the best outcome, but you're also not going to get the worst. There's been plenty of successful sides that have had consistent performers of limited ability play support roles when required, and I think that if Dylan takes another step forward he'll be able to secure a place as a reasonable depth player for us for a couple of years to come, hopefully when we're working our way up the ladder again.

bornadog
28-05-2013, 01:56 PM
One of his best games on the weekend.

PTKxrMT4sRU

Go_Dogs
28-05-2013, 02:30 PM
My assessment in the OP looks fairly sound after Saturday :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Addison will always be a player that struggles to hold his spot in the best 22 but I think he's also been a player worth keeping on the list.

He's versatile and tough but with the likes of Lower and Stevens now at the club he might have moved further down the pecking order.

Big year for him.
Addison was a key factor in our win at the weekend. Did a great job to negate Fisher who has always been a thorn in our side as well as kicking the 4 goals. Appeals more as a forward than down back where he has been prone to make errors. Brings a hardness to our attack which has been lacking plus some valuable experience.

FrediKanoute
28-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Great game by Addison. He just needs to consistently bring this to the table, rather than once a year. He has been earmarked as the defensive forward since the 2010 Prelim, but injuries, poor form, change of coach have meant that he has not consistentlyn been able to play in that role. If Sarturday is the starting point for him then great, but as good as he was on Saturday he needs to do this consistently for the rest of the year to retain his spot on the list.

stefoid
28-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Makes a good contest when forward. Isnt the type of miss the mark then fall over while the opposition whisks it away.

The Adelaide Connection
13-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Really happy to see DFA get named in the GWS squad for round 1 today. I think he is a bloke in the Cross category for me, I understand why he is not with us anymore but loved the way he went about it and it isn't going to feel right seeing him in other colours. Hoping he can cement a permanent spot in what will be the most potent forward line in years to come (if not this year).

jeemak
14-03-2014, 01:14 AM
TAC, I kind of understand why you might put him in the Cross category in terms of being able to contribute to our club in the short term, but there's not really any comparison in terms of contribution to us on field over time.

Dylan was an absolute trier, but Daniel Cross almost revolutionised the game with the way he hit contests face first (before you got a free kick for it), gathered and used the ball afterwards, and was an out and out club champion.

However, like you I am glad Dylan is getting his chance. He has some tools any team could use from time to time. I'll be as happy as anyone if he can show in his time at his new club those tools to a point where he keeps getting games and helping his team.

Greystache
14-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Glad he gets an opportunity to continue his career. I always admire a player who gets the maximum out of themselves.

The Adelaide Connection
14-03-2014, 08:58 PM
When I was talking "same category" I was really referring to the fact that as a player he really gave his all and, in the end, it wasn't through lack of effort or any indiscretion that he was moved on, more that he just didn't fit into our plans. I would argue that, like Daniel, DFA did really give it everything he had (including putting his body on the line) but I do agree with you that Crossy is in a different category in terms of service and accomplishments.

EasternWest
14-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Really happy to see DFA get named in the GWS squad for round 1 today. I think he is a bloke in the Cross category for me, I understand why he is not with us anymore but loved the way he went about it and it isn't going to feel right seeing him in other colours. Hoping he can cement a permanent spot in what will be the most potent forward line in years to come (if not this year).

Me too. Love the guy. Wish he was still in our colours but understand why he's not. I hope he does well there.

KT31
14-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Me too. Love the guy. Wish he was still in our colours but understand why he's not. I hope he does well there.
Happy for DFA and I wish every player we recruited had his endeavour and attitude, wish him all the best, but glad he has moved on just a level below where needed in ability.