PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Boyd named Top Dog

soupman
08-02-2013, 09:34 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-02-08/boyd-named-top-dog

Matthew Boyd will lead the Western Bulldogs into the 2013 AFL Premiership Season, with the 30-year-old this morning announced captain of the club.

Coming off a stellar 2012 season in which he was named the Bulldogs' best and fairest player for the third time in four years, Boyd will drive a new leadership model which steers away from the traditional 'leadership group' based on status and experience.

The new leadership structure at Whitten Oval aims at handing more responsibility, ownership and accountability to the club's younger and emerging players.

There will be no one directly underneath Boyd.

Boyd will lead the club for the third successive season after first being awarded the captaincy in 2011.

More to come…

Not unexpected, except based on this there will be no leadership group as such.

Go_Dogs
08-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Interesting, will await the "more to come" for a better explanation.

LostDoggy
08-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Are we adopting the Hockeyroos model as well?

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/st-kilda-looks-to-hockeyroos-for-inspiration-as-scott-watters-adopts-their-leadership-model/story-e6frf7jo-1226567732524)

AndrewP6
08-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm not a fan, more of a traditionalist in that regard.

Ghost Dog
09-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm not a fan, more of a traditionalist in that regard.

Don't agree or disagree with you. But wondered if you could expand a little.

AndrewP6
09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Don't agree or disagree with you. But wondered if you could expand a little.

I think there should be a captain and a small group of players supporting him. I would rather a player earn their stripes before being given a huge say in proceedings, and I believe the young pups should be lead by the senior players.

LostDoggy
09-02-2013, 11:20 PM
I believe the young pups should be lead by the senior players.

Don't you think this happens naturally? More often than not a younger player is going to look to the older more experienced players, whether or not they're in a leadership group.

AndrewP6
09-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Don't you think this happens naturally? More often than not a younger player is going to look to the older more experienced players, whether or not they're in a leadership group.

The model is designed to give all players a say in the direction of the club. They'll hold meetings where all players will be able to air their views. For mine, that's akin to handing the inmates the keys to the asylum.

GVGjr
10-02-2013, 12:22 AM
The model is designed to give all players a say in the direction of the club. They'll hold meetings where all players will be able to air their views. For mine, that's akin to handing the inmates the keys to the asylum.

I get what you are saying the last comment appears to be over the top.

Your not really comparing the players at the club making similar decisions to criminals at a prison are you?

AndrewP6
10-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I get what you are saying the last comment appears to be over the top.

Your not really comparing the players at the club making similar decisions to criminals at a prison are you?

Not really, just an expression.

GVGjr
10-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Not really, just an expression.

It's an expression I think that is used more towards immature people being given responsibility they aren't necessarily ready for. I don't think that is an issue for our senior guys.

AndrewP6
10-02-2013, 12:36 AM
It's an expression I think that is used more towards immature people being given responsibility they aren't necessarily ready for. I don't think that is an issue for our senior guys.

No, but certainly the Pups.

GVGjr
10-02-2013, 12:39 AM
No, but certainly the Pups.

But they aren't being handed the keys to the asylum. The younger guys will receive a lot of training and mentoring and it's not like they have full control.

jeemak
10-02-2013, 07:59 AM
Andrew, do think there's scope for our club to maybe try something different with its leadership program? Or do you think our leadership structue over very recent years has been successful?

One of the things that was identified in the wash up from the Liberatore issue last year was the psychological distance between our senior core and our younger core. Would a different, or less traditional approach to how we select leaders to run the club potentially help bridge that gap?

I'll await more detail before I dive in head first to an opinion, though I think from what I've read to this point having one captain leading the club, and allowing others to step up and put their case for future leadership forward could potentially be a good thing.

While we're an under-developed list right now, the club has taken measures in the off season to ensue there's a great deal of game day selection pressure amongst a group of players that will hopefully mature together and take the club forward. Transferring this pressure to the leadership of the club might make a few standout characters shine through over the next year or so.

Ghost Dog
10-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Andrew, do think there's scope for our club to maybe try something different with its leadership program? Or do you think our leadership structue over very recent years has been successful?

One of the things that was identified in the wash up from the Liberatore issue last year was the psychological distance between our senior core and our younger core. Would a different, or less traditional approach to how we select leaders to run the club potentially help bridge that gap?

I'll await more detail before I dive in head first to an opinion, though I think from what I've read to this point having one captain leading the club, and allowing others to step up and put their case for future leadership forward could potentially be a good thing.

While we're an under-developed list right now, the club has taken measures in the off season to ensue there's a great deal of game day selection pressure amongst a group of players that will hopefully mature together and take the club forward. Transferring this pressure to the leadership of the club might make a few standout characters shine through over the next year or so.

Master of restraint! :D
I just admire the club for trying something different. In the military they say ' lead whenever you can'. Not sure how it will work exactly, but sounds on the face of it a good idea.

jeemak
11-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Master of restraint! :DI just admire the club for trying something different. In the military they say ' lead whenever you can'. Not sure how it will work exactly, but sounds on the face of it a good idea.

Sorry GD, did I give an opinion when I said I wouldn't? Or did I talk about potential scenarios or outcomes?

Hotdog60
11-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Macca has asked for players of good character, I think our young guys may have something to offer and it does give them a sense of belonging.
The important part will be when they do offer something is how it is handle from there.

bornadog
11-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Great to see Matty Boyd lead again for 2013. He is a great role model as an AFL player with his professionalism, the way he trains and prepares for a match.

Hopefully by year end some new blood will emerge for a future captaincy replacement.

I think front runner at this stage is Higgins.

Ozza
11-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Great to see Matty Boyd lead again for 2013. He is a great role model as an AFL player with his professionalism, the way he trains and prepares for a match.

Hopefully by year end some new blood will emerge for a future captaincy replacement.

I think front runner at this stage is Higgins.

Hoping Higgins will have his best year yet - which will help him to really consolidate himself as a future leader/possible captain.

At this stage, he probably doesn't have enough runs on the board as a player to be well received as a skipper - but it may just be one very good season from him change that.

Mofra
12-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Master of restraint! :D
I just admire the club for trying something different. In the military they say ' lead whenever you can'. Not sure how it will work exactly, but sounds on the face of it a good idea.
To continue the military theme, if you are appointed to a position of responsibility you are technically not a leader - you are a commander. You are still required to prove your worth as a leader.

Leader - Commander - Manager

The military preaches leadership at all levels in the chain of command - it sound like the Bulldogs are taking some of this theory into practice.
Awaiting a Gant Chart of the balance between Individual, Group & Task needs.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
I really would be surprised if anyone other than Wallis became the next captain. He's wise far beyond his years, handles the media and speaks exceptionally well and has been a poster boy in terms of marketing already.

I know the only issue is his age here, but give it another 12-24 months and he'll be close.