PDA

View Full Version : Membership Ideas

Scraggers
09-02-2013, 01:02 AM
I recently bought my membership for East Fremantle Sharks. For those WOOFers who are not familiar with East Freo, they are one of two Fremantle based WAFL teams; in fact the most successful WAFL team with 29 premierships (I heard once that they were the most successful team in Australia, but I am unable to substantiate this !!).

Anyway, I have been a member for a number of years ... This year I took up an offer made by the club called The Jack Sheedy Membership. This is a membership that cost me $1000 ... Quite a lot of money for a WAFL membership, but the Jack Sheedy membership is considered a 'Member For Life' membership (as opposed to Life Membership) meaning I pay this membership once and never have to pay an annual membership again, as long as I live ... I get entry to every home game, voting rights and my name on the Jack Sheedy Honour Board. Only one hundred of these memberships were offered. One hundred sold gives the club $100,000 instantly (desperately needed for ground upgrades).

This got me thinking, with the amount of intelligent people who post on WOOF, and with our President and other Bulldog Officials reading our threads, surely we could come up with some innovations with our current memberships that could prove to be a cash cow for our club.

I love the idea of being able to buy a base 'Member For Life' from the Western Bulldogs that would give me the same sort of entitlements as the Jack Sheedy Membership for a designated amount, and paying an upgrade fee every year for social membership, a designated seat, or other such extras. I'm not sure what you would charge for this, maybe $2,500 ??? Or it could be based on age ... i.e. younger members pay more than older ones.

I know in previous threads, we have spoken of the ability to opt out of the cap and stickers etc that we get with our membership packages, thus saving the club money.

What other suggestions do you have (serious ones only please) for making quick moula or saving money. It's time to think outside of the box ... Thinking caps on !!!

DragzLS1
10-02-2013, 03:00 AM
I like what your saying. So in effect the die hard supporters who stick with the club through thick and thin would be the ones these memberships are targeted at. A once off payment and then options to upgrade to reserved seating ect ect.. I think we need to wait and see how the stadium deals go (wether the afl will buy etihad stadium) and then base a package around that.. Either way we need to do something about memberships soon as we are struggling for numbers this season..

Eastdog
10-02-2013, 05:16 AM
I like what your saying. So in effect the die hard supporters who stick with the club through thick and thin would be the ones these memberships are targeted at. A once off payment and then options to upgrade to reserved seating ect ect.. I think we need to wait and see how the stadium deals go (wether the afl will buy etihad stadium) and then base a package around that.. Either way we need to do something about memberships soon as we are struggling for numbers this season..

I reckon we need to spread our campaign a bit outside our heartland to get even more involved.

Ghost Dog
10-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Last night I took a walk around Whitten Oval. The only signage on the wire fence beside the oval itself is ironically a 'No dogs!' sign. Anyway, why not put the names of key donors and members on small plaques that can go around the fence?

bornadog
12-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Some ideas for Increased membership –

We need to try and sell to the supporters that membership is not just entrance to a game. Membership is being involved with a Club and not just for financial support, but where like minded individuals can get together, discuss the footy and be part of the Western Bulldogs Club.

However, we may have to try and add value like linking the membership with other benefits and maybe other clubs e.g. Reciprocal rights at VRC to certain race days?, at a golf Club, at a Gym etc etc?, cricket days at the MCG. There are a number of different clubs outside football that we could add to the package and give value.

Maybe they will cost a little more, but if the supporters see the membership is not just a ticket to go to games they may pay that bit extra. Talk to High Point West and link memberships to shopping discounts at the centre?

There are lots of different ways to package up membership to a club, and I emphasize a club. We have also lost a little with no real social club at Whitten Oval. I know this was going to happen at Edgewater and its not the clubs fault but it would be nice to say have a separate building on the Barkley st side that had various social club activities, such as a restaurant , sports bar, but not gambling and other family activities.

We have too many fair weather supporters who feel the team must be winning before they join up. Maybe if they see other value in a club membership they may renew automatically.

I know already there are lots of benefits for Gold class members, like VIP days for merchandise, special entrance for Family day to meet the players before everyone else. We have to add value like this but, it needs to be spelt out at the start of the season.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Some ideas for Increased membership –

We need to try and sell to the supporters that membership is not just entrance to a game. Membership is being involved with a Club and not just for financial support, but where like minded individuals can get together, discuss the footy and be part of the Western Bulldogs Club.

However, we may have to try and add value like linking the membership with other benefits and maybe other clubs e.g. Reciprocal rights at VRC to certain race days?, at a golf Club, at a Gym etc etc?, cricket days at the MCG. There are a number of different clubs outside football that we could add to the package and give value.

Maybe they will cost a little more, but if the supporters see the membership is not just a ticket to go to games they may pay that bit extra. Talk to High Point West and link memberships to shopping discounts at the centre?

There are lots of different ways to package up membership to a club, and I emphasize a club. We have also lost a little with no real social club at Whitten Oval. I know this was going to happen at Edgewater and its not the clubs fault but it would be nice to say have a separate building on the Barkley st side that had various social club activities, such as a restaurant , sports bar, but not gambling and other family activities.

We have too many fair weather supporters who feel the team must be winning before they join up. Maybe if they see other value in a club membership they may renew automatically.

I know already there are lots of benefits for Gold class members, like VIP days for merchandise, special entrance for Family day to meet the players before everyone else. We have to add value like this but, it needs to be spelt out at the start of the season.

In terms of membership we are light years behind Collingwood Essendon Hawthorn Carlton Geelong and even Richmond. IMO the only answer is success on the field over a sustained period whilst at the same time focusing on the Western region as our Heartland for new members. The Western Bulldogs North Melbourne and Melbourne are all in a similar category and that is in a continuous survival mode. Geographically we are far better positioned that either North or Melbourne but it really comes down to the building of a successful club.

LostDoggy
13-02-2013, 03:39 PM
In terms of membership we are light years behind Collingwood Essendon Hawthorn Carlton Geelong and even Richmond. IMO the only answer is success on the field over a sustained period whilst at the same time focusing on the Western region as our Heartland for new members. The Western Bulldogs North Melbourne and Melbourne are all in a similar category and that is in a continuous survival mode. Geographically we are far better positioned that either North or Melbourne but it really comes down to the building of a successful club.

Whilst you may or may not be correct, your thinking echoes the majority. I think Scraggers is looking for “out-of-the-box” ideas, not just the same ”oh, we need to win a flag first”.

Our club should understand more than any other that footy clubs are not about premierships. Yeah, the game itself is, but the club is more than that. I really like the idea of a life membership, think it has serious merit.

Scraggers
14-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Whilst you may or may not be correct, your thinking echoes the majority. I think Scraggers is looking for “out-of-the-box” ideas, not just the same ”oh, we need to win a flag first”.

Our club should understand more than any other that footy clubs are not about premierships. Yeah, the game itself is, but the club is more than that. I really like the idea of a life membership, think it has serious merit.

100% correct !!

We have played in 7 (I think ... Sorry it's late) preliminary finals in the last twenty years, and are still not able to increase our membership. Waiting for the ultimate success in today's climate is too late.

We need to act now ... I lke the idea of packaging our membership with something else (VRC, gym membership etc) it gives it more purpose ... The Member For Life I mentioned in the OP is also "out of the box" thinking. This is the sort of stuff that will increase our membership immediately ... Giving the club money now, to help build both on field and off field success.

We are focussing on new Australians in our current membership campaign ... What about a deal with VIc Uni or a local TAFE for free English lessons or a free TAFE course of their choosing.

How about every member who introduces a new member gets their membership discounted for the first five years the newby remains a member.

How about every past member who rejoins, gets a personalised phone call from their favourite player welcoming hem back (NOT a pre-recorded message).

How about selling membership in five year packages ... Ten year packages ???
With every package you get a designated seat, a free social event of your choosing (every year), exclusive five/ten year merchandise.

How about something different to what every other AFL club is offering ???

Our club needs cash now !!
Our biggest return is through membership and merchandise (not gate takings ... Particularly at Etihad). We need to change it up to make Joe Average want to spend that little bit more at our club ... We need to change it up to attract new members or lost members to our club ... We need to change it up to give "members with benefits" opportunities to die-hards.

LostDoggy
14-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I reckon a special guernsey might be a good reward. Stay a paid up member for X years and you receive a special type of guernsey, exclusive to those members.

Iterations: 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, then “Life Member” for anybody who's had a membership for 20 consecutive years or more.

Even in a limited production run, they couldn't cost the club more than $100 to make — and that's being ridiculously conservative. Spread that over 5, 10, 20 years and so on, and suddenly it appears to be a very cheap added benefit, and it's a little more substantial than a scarf.

I would LOVE a guernsey with “Life Member” on it, maybe in a gold shield above the sponsor's logo or something. What better way to wear your passion than on your guernsey on match day?

For those who are already at that mark, it's a thank you for staying on board. For those who aren't, it's an incentive to maybe renew each year if the club is going to go out of its way like that.

Perhaps couple that with the five or ten year packages and they can get it now.

bornadog
26-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Bulldogs' 'Win the West Blitz' kicks-off (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-02-25/win-the-west-blitz)

The Western Bulldogs will kick off the Club’s Win the West Blitz today with Bulldogs players visiting 24 schools across Melbourne’s West.

The first of its kind in AFL, the Blitz will run for six consecutive day, as part of the Bulldog’s Our Heartland campaign which aims to win the hearts and minds of Melbourne’s West.

The Blitz will see teams of volunteers – made up of players, members, fans and staff – hit the streets each day this week.

“This is an ambitious grassroots campaign which is as much about telling the story of our Club – its past and exciting future – as it is about celebrating our heartland – Melbourne’s West,” Bulldogs Chief Executive Simon Garlick said.

“Come rain or shine – volunteers will the streets, visiting businesses, schools, community centres, migrant resource centres, shopping centres, police stations, fire stations talking about our Club and how our Club is part of their community.

“We look forward to meeting you when we hit the streets in our backyard.”

The Blitz teams will distribute a range of information on the Club and offer people free tickets to the Western Bulldogs Round 1 match against Brisbane at Etihad stadium on March 30.

Western Bulldogs players will make additional special appearances throughout the week.

Volunteers will specifically target the five local Government areas that make up Melbourne’s Western fringe Melton, Wyndham, Point Cook, Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay.

The Western Bulldogs have more members than any other AFL club in Local Government Area (LGAs) of Maribyrnong, Hobsons Bay, Brimbank and the key growth corridor encompassing Melton and Wyndham being one of only three AFL clubs to rank #1 in five or more LGA’s.

The Bulldogs also dominate Auskick in the West – with almost 25 per cent of junior participants indicating the Western Bulldogs are their team.

Ghost Dog
26-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Sorry, wrote this in another thread. but anyway,
Once a month, membership drive at Western Oval. Mitch Wallis in the pound for an hour: bring your kids, get an autograph, sign a membership form, and get a photo together.
The kids will remember it forever. Sure beats joining the club through some soulless outsourcing company.
Getting a membership gives you a code to a special website where you can learn all about the history of the club. The heroes, the special moments. Club induction.
Once they finish watching the video, there's an interactive quiz. Answer all the questions correctly and get a sticker sent to you. A SHINY sticker.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMjQ=/$(KGrHqZ,!gwE-jZ+!iWsBP)vZ4tZUw~~60_35.JPG

Anyone remember the sticker in the top left corner? Great design. Sticks in my memory.

Grantysghost
26-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Anyone remember the sticker in the top left corner? Great design. Sticks in my memory.

I would definitely go for a life membership if it was packaged suitably.

Sorry off topic but wow - those stickers brough back some childhood memories.

Michael Egan, Terry Wheeler, Ted Whitten Jnr, Brian Cordy, Chris Burton, Ian Dunstan, Jim Edmond, Geoff Jennings, Michael Mckenna, Doug Hawkins, Simon Beasley, Alister Ford?

Who's the first guy? Is it Groenewegen?

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
While watching random highlights on Youtube of Ben Grahams big kicks, which included one against us....

Got me thinking - was I at this game? I can't remember. Wouldn't it be cool if you could login to your Bulldogs account and look up games you had attended (using your membership) throughout that year - then maybe there would be a link to the game match report. Im sure their reporting allows them to see this data already but I think it would be cool to look back to say, 2001 and be like "Oh yeah I was at that game we upset Essendon and Brad Johnno let loose on John Barnes" then read the match report and bring back memories.

Bit of a stretch, but im sure AFL has archived those match reports.

Thoughts? Patent Pending - maybe something I should pitch :D

Rance Fan
11-07-2013, 10:38 AM
When i went to the family day at the start of the year, they should of had people chasing up new members there upon entry.
Upon entry show your membership card, the others hit with the hard sell and offer a special membership or something. (3 gamer?)

Not sure if they could do the same on game day?
Have a few at the door... offer a discounted rate on a 3 gamer membership or maybe a free entry to a low attended game say WB v GWS?
Give away a ticket or something promotional to the young kids.... they are the future. Keep them interested and excited. Give them a reason to come to the footy especially if we aren't winning.
I know my boys go crazy for footy cards! Get the kids on board, the parents will give in and take them to keep them quiet hehe! They may all get hooked!

Another thing to make some cash is to have a number of auctions...maybe weekly or monthly
Auction ideas
- spend game in coaches box
- spend time in rooms before/after match
- get involved in a training session
- coach the team during a training session for 20 mins
- have a player come over to dinner at your house or have lunch at a cafe
- a player meets your child to teach him a skill to work on

and so on...

Chicago1
11-07-2013, 02:27 PM
While watching random highlights on Youtube of Ben Grahams big kicks, which included one against us....

Got me thinking - was I at this game? I can't remember. Wouldn't it be cool if you could login to your Bulldogs account and look up games you had attended (using your membership) throughout that year - then maybe there would be a link to the game match report. Im sure their reporting allows them to see this data already but I think it would be cool to look back to say, 2001 and be like "Oh yeah I was at that game we upset Essendon and Brad Johnno let loose on John Barnes" then read the match report and bring back memories.

How about my first match -
3 April 1976 Western Oval. Footscray 16.16 112 defeated by Essendon 16.17 113.
A one point loss. Red, white and blue. No Premiership in 22 years. I had my team. And I was only 23 then!

Or the next month-
29 May 1976 Waverley Park Footscray 13.8 86 defeated Collingwood 10.16 76. *sigh*

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 03:36 PM
How about my first match -
3 April 1976 Western Oval. Footscray 16.16 112 defeated by Essendon 16.17 113.
A one point loss. Red, white and blue. No Premiership in 22 years. I had my team. And I was only 23 then!

Or the next month-
29 May 1976 Waverley Park Footscray 13.8 86 defeated Collingwood 10.16 76. *sigh*

Incredible memory there :) We couldn't go that far back but with the barcode scanners and the interwebz, it would be great to look back in the year 2033 and wonder what home games we went to in 2013.

Chicago1
11-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Incredible memory there :)
Yeah. That and AFL Tables. ;)

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 04:09 PM

Yeah I use that a lot too. I can't even remember the first 10 games I went to though :/

Chicago1
11-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Those two stand out even after 37 years. The first hooked me on footy. I had only seen glimpses of it on TV the month after I arrived in Australia in Aug 1975. It didn't interest me. lol

That first match of 1976 changed my mind. Gary Dempsey's marking was something I had never seen before. Everything just came together - one point loss, a working class team, only one premiership, red, white and blue - hell, how could I not give in to that? And the ground was only a tram ride and a short walk to get to. Perfect.

The match against Collingwood at Waverley, which we won, was my first trip out to that part of Melbourne. I went with a fellow teacher and her husband, both Collingwood supporters. I had no idea about Magpie fans up to that point. I learned the hard way. On the way home I was not talked to in the car from the time we left Waverley until they dropped me off at home in Maribyrnong. I guess that's where my hatred of all things Collingwood began. It's too bad that at that stage I had no idea about "winning" the Wooden Spoon, because Collingwood won it that year. :D

bornadog
11-07-2013, 05:32 PM

I also use that alot.

I just had a quick look as I started going to the footy when I was about 4, but of course don't remember much. If you look at the win/loss games by year, we must hold the record for 11 wins and 11 losses :p in a season - the most times. I do remember all those in the 70's as we rarely lost at home, which was great.

I must have been very resilient in the 1960's as after 1962 to the early 70's, we hardly won a match and I stuck with the team :)

Remi Moses
11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Just got my raffle tickets today.
To hard to sell at 5 Bucks a pop!
Hopefully next time we're in premiership mode the club puts loyal members first in order for GF tickets.
Lot of good time Charlie's brought up social club membership for access to GF tickets.

Scraggers
11-07-2013, 10:47 PM

Fantastic idea ... Absolutely love it, but for those of us that have been members since membership cards were actual 'card' it might prove difficult ;)

But the concept is a great one.

FrediKanoute
12-07-2013, 09:05 AM
I would definitely go for a life membership if it was packaged suitably.

Sorry off topic but wow - those stickers brough back some childhood memories.

Michael Egan, Terry Wheeler, Ted Whitten Jnr, Brian Cordy, Chris Burton, Ian Dunstan, Jim Edmond, Geoff Jennings, Michael Mckenna, Doug Hawkins, Simon Beasley, Alister Ford?

Who's the first guy? Is it Groenewegen?

Mark Komp

LostDoggy
12-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Just got my raffle tickets today.
To hard to sell at 5 Bucks a pop!
Hopefully next time we're in premiership mode the club puts loyal members first in order for GF tickets.
Lot of good time Charlie's brought up social club membership for access to GF tickets.

They do have a tier system, where if you've been a social club member for more than two years running you get first dibs.

LostDoggy
12-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Fantastic idea ... Absolutely love it, but for those of us that have been members since membership cards were actual 'card' it might prove difficult ;)

But the concept is a great one.

Cheers. Yeah I know we cant do anything too far back but to have something from even 2010 onwards into the future would be cool.

azabob
12-07-2013, 07:03 PM
So we reached over 30,000 members.