PDA

View Full Version : Morris eager to be old Dog among pups

GVGjr
10-02-2013, 12:26 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2013/02/09/4019533/art-353-svDALEMORRIS-300x0.jpg

SO MUCH has changed since the last time Dale Morris played an AFL game. Rodney Eade was coaching, the Western Bulldogs were coming towards the end of a significant chapter in the club's history, and even the way sides played the game was different.

As he contemplates playing again for the Bulldogs for the first time in 18 months, the defender looks back on round 21 of the 2011 season like it was from another era.

''Even in just a year the game has definitely changed and got quicker,'' Morris said on Saturday.

''Now all teams are adopting a similar game plan, whereas when I got injured only some teams used a zone and got players up the ground. Now everybody does it. Just the speed and how skilful you have to be to pierce the zones … it will definitely take me time to adjust.
Advertisement

''You can only do so much during training but I can't wait to get out there and see how I go.''

Morris broke his leg badly late in the 2011 season (below). He is confident he can make his comeback in the NAB Cup matches against Essendon and Collingwood on Friday.

The 151-game backman has taken part in full training since Christmas and has tested the strength and stability of the leg in full-scale match practice.

While he had initial worries when he took knocks to the leg, he is certain he still has the speed, agility and versatility that earned him All-Australian honours in 2008.

''It feels like what it was up to pre-injury,'' he said.

''There's no problems turning and cutting and accelerating and everything. The more you do it in training the more confidence you feel that's everything going well.''

That's not so say Morris has not done it tough. He was confined to a wheelchair, bed or the couch for the first month after he had the tibia and fibula reset. It was wretched timing given that his wife, Gemma, was pregnant at the time with the couple's second son, Charlie.

Morris described as torturous the days when he could not help his wife look after the newborn or the toddler, Riley. ''It was like she had three kids,'' he said.

Read more (http://theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/morris-eager-to-be-old-dog-among-pups-20130209-2e5ci.html)

Remi Moses
10-02-2013, 12:39 AM
You're a star Dale Morris.
Good luck

DragzLS1
10-02-2013, 02:54 AM
Great example for the youngsters for not only a player, professional but a good person in general! Love Dale Morris always been a favorite of the fans.

GVGjr
10-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Great example for the youngsters for not only a player, professional but a good person in general!

He certainly is a great example for the younger guys and he's probably one of the most respected players on our list.

Hopefully he can get back somewhere near his best.

Maddog37
10-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Having a fit and performing Morris in the team will make all of his teammates walk taller.

I love the bloke. Plays with so much honesty and heart week in, week out.

AndrewP6
10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Look forward to seeing if he can come back and assist our backs. 18 months? Wow.

Go_Dogs
10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Nice article, can't wait to see Dale back out on the field. He's a star and how he's handled the injury and set backs is a real testament to his resilience and perseverance through adversity. A great role model for the next generation of players coming through.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Please be ok

EasternWest
10-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Please be ok

Please be ok :)

bornadog
10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Really love this bloke just hope he has fully recovered. Can't wait to see him out there.

boydogs
10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
He's definitely needed, hope he can deliver

Bulldog Revolution
10-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Adding an 85% Dale Morris back to our team would make an enormous difference to our backline

In 2011 without Lake he really held our backline together until injured

LostDoggy
11-02-2013, 12:47 AM
In a wheelchair with his career on the ropes yet can only think of his wife. Love the man.

jeemak
11-02-2013, 01:24 AM
This guy is a gun, and we missed him deeply after he suffered his horrible injury.

With a decent run at it he has two years of good football at it, and I really hope for his sake he gets to fulfill his time, just as much as I hope for the clubs sake he can.

bornadog
28-06-2015, 12:42 AM
What did woofers think of his game tonight?

comrade
28-06-2015, 01:11 AM
Thought it was a solid performance but will need to watch the replay.

Took a few very telling marks late. I felt much more at peace knowing he was down in the back half when the siege was on with a few minutes to go. Much more so than say if Talia was playing who is prone to melting under intense pressure. Not so our Moz.

LostDoggy
28-06-2015, 02:08 AM
I thought he played like a seasoned champ who's missed a fair bit of football. I think we'll see a few games from Dale and then sadly, he'll hang up the boots.

comrade
28-06-2015, 02:18 AM
I thought he played like a seasoned champ who's missed a fair bit of football. I think we'll see a few games from Dale and then sadly, he'll hang up the boots.

Think he's done at the end of the year?

GVGjr
28-06-2015, 08:44 AM

He was selected to come back a week early than he should have. Will be better for the run

Hotdog60
28-06-2015, 08:51 AM
He was solid without shinning. If that makes sense.
I thought he got caught out a couple of times but his experience held up for him.
Unless things change and Moz has a great solid run for the rest of the season I'll go with BAS's assessment.

chef
28-06-2015, 10:49 AM

I can't see any of the old boys wanting to give it up just yet.

bornadog
28-06-2015, 11:21 AM
He was selected to come back a week early than he should have. Will be better for the run

That's what I thought as well.

Twodogs
01-07-2015, 04:43 PM

A bit rusty but he will be better for the run. This Saturday will tell the story.

LostDoggy
01-07-2015, 07:09 PM

I love Dale Morris. I'm the fat bearded bloke you'll hear from Level 2, Aisle 28 calling out "I LOVE YOU DALE!". :)

But unless he does a Matty Boyd on us, and I pray to the Footy Gods every day that he does, I think his career's natural conclusion will be playing in a semi-final in 2015. He just struggles to keep up a bit and the last thing I ever want to see is the Magnificent Glove playing past his best-before date.

Twodogs
02-07-2015, 03:25 PM
I love Dale Morris. I'm the fat bearded bloke you'll hear from Level 2, Aisle 28 calling out "I LOVE YOU DALE!". :)

But unless he does a Matty Boyd on us, and I pray to the Footy Gods every day that he does, I think his career's natural conclusion will be playing in a semi-final in 2015. He just struggles to keep up a bit and the last thing I ever want to see is the Magnificent Glove playing past his best-before date.

Premiership. Every other clubs' supporters would wish their heroes out on the back of a flag.

We have to think big.

F'scary
02-07-2015, 10:06 PM

He started off like a rocket in the first quarter and then became more unobtrusive after that. Overall, he was ok although if we had lost his match readiness may have come into question more.