PDA

View Full Version : Time is right for Talia

Greystache
10-02-2013, 04:05 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/273084-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Young key position player Michael Talia has emerged as a key contender to replace Brian Lake in the Western Bulldogs' backline.

The 20-year-old was eased through his first pre-season at the club, then played four AFL games in his debut campaign.

But he has taken on the full program this summer and has thrived on the extra work.

"I've completed every session actually, so it's been good," Talia told AFL.com.au during the Bulldogs' Australia Post Community Camp in the western Victorian town of Hamilton.

"It's been a really big step up from last pre-season. It's been full-on.

"I've pretty much been doing five weights sessions a week on top of five running sessions, plus core work.

"'Macca' (Dogs coach Brendan McCartney) set me a focus to really work hard in the gym and on my running, so I've worked very hard.

"But my body is feeling better than ever at the moment, and hopefully the hard work pays off this year."

Talia, whose older brother Daniel has become a star at Adelaide and won the 2012 NAB Rising Star award, has added 5kg to his 192cm frame during the pre-season.

Now tipping the scales at 93kg, he is confident that he has the bulk and power to match it with the competition's best power forwards.

"I've been competing a lot against big blokes like Jordan Roughead at training," Talia said.

"So I definitely feel like I could play on a bigger-type forward and handle it better in my second year.

"But building up my body has been a balancing act. I got to 94kg and the dietician wanted me to hold back a bit, so it's just a matter of not putting it on too quickly."

Not only has Talia gained bulk, he has also gained plenty of power.

"Our new strength and conditioning guy, Andy Barnett, has been really good with that," he explained.

"He has implemented new running techniques and has definitely changed my perception of the way to attack a sprint session.

"We've been doing a lot of resistance work and agility work. When we did 20m sprint testing I got a sub-three-second time for the first time ever.

"So I definitely feel like I've got quicker as well, as have many of the other boys.

"The average of time for our backline group in the 20m sprint testing was under three seconds.

"Lin Jong broke the record with 2.76secs, so he was flying."

Like the other members of the Dogs' backline, Talia has spent time working with Geelong champion Matthew Scarlett, who has taken on a part-time assistant coaching role at the club.

And Talia is keen to put his new tricks to the test when the Bulldogs open their NAB Cup campaign with shortened games against Essendon and Collingwood at Etihad Stadium on Friday, February 15.

"I now know a lot more about what it takes to be a regular performer in an elite environment," he said.

"I'm not putting any over-the-top expectations on myself at the moment.

"But I definitely see myself playing more games this year, and hopefully I'm lucky enough to get the chance to."

LINK (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-02-08/time-is-right-for-talia)

GVGjr
10-02-2013, 04:24 PM
He should be in for a good season and is a strongly built lad. If he has added some pace as the article suggests then he could be a gem for us.

Greystache
10-02-2013, 04:36 PM
He should be in for a good season and is a strongly built lad. If he has added some pace as the article suggests then he could be a gem for us.

That was the part of the article that I was excited about. A couple of times last year his pace was a little concerning, but if that has improved he could become anything. He certainly has a strong body and was able to match it with the strongest opposition players last year (eg Podsiadly) and you could only think he'd be stronger again this year.

bulldogtragic
10-02-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year, good early signs.

Twodogs
10-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Is it just me or does he really look like Ryan Hargrave?

I'm suprised he is listed as being only 192cms tall. He looks/plays a lot taller. Only 5 years ago most teams wouldnt recruit players at that height as a KP (especially if there were concerns about his pace). He would have been called a 'tweener.

Go_Dogs
10-02-2013, 06:13 PM
That was the part of the article that I was excited about. A couple of times last year his pace was a little concerning, but if that has improved he could become anything. He certainly has a strong body and was able to match it with the strongest opposition players last year (eg Podsiadly) and you could only think he'd be stronger again this year.

Agreed, was great to hear he cracked the 3 second barrier. Hopefully the technique stuff we seem to have been working on results in visible improvement in game day pace across the board.

bornadog
10-02-2013, 06:26 PM
I think he has great potential with the only major concern at this stage his kicking. Hopefully he has been working on that along with the areas he mentions in the article.

Bulldog Revolution
10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Seems a very mature kid - I was very impressed with his one on one instincts last year

As a first year recruit to even look the part as a key position defender at VFL level is somewhat impressive

Should only build on that, how long it takes and how good he can become are the questions, but attitude doesn't seem like it will hold him back

LostDoggy
11-02-2013, 12:45 AM

I'm suprised he is listed as being only 192cms tall. He looks/plays a lot taller. Only 5 years ago most teams wouldnt recruit players at that height as a KP (especially if there were concerns about his pace). He would have been called a 'tweener.

It's the perfect height for any man.

Bulldog4life
11-02-2013, 02:00 PM

I know on the doggies website he is listed at 192cm but when you google his name and height he comes up at 193, 194 & 195cm on other websites.:eek:

bornadog
11-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I know on the doggies website he is listed at 192cm but when you google his name and height he comes up at 193, 194 & 195cm on other websites.:eek:

He just keeps growing:p

Twodogs
11-02-2013, 02:42 PM
It's the perfect height for any man.

I'm thinking more like 178 cms.

bornadog
11-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Your height;)..........:D

Twodogs
11-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Your height;)..........:D

Might be...

I am fairly perfect.

Greystache
11-02-2013, 03:43 PM

I think a happy medium is 190cm ;)

Too small to play big and too big to play small. Come to think of it how did I not get drafted by Scott Clayton?

Ozza
11-02-2013, 03:53 PM
I think a happy medium is 190cm ;)

Too small to play big and too big to play small. Come to think of it how did I not get drafted by Scott Clayton?

We traded in Ben Harrison from Richmond......so you were a bit stiff to miss out!

Greystache
11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Getting back on track. If Talia can progress like we all hope it will give us a nice mix in defence, he can take the more mobile and athletic key forward types such as Franklin, Riewoldt, Cloke etc, and Roughead can take the really big key forwards like Clark, Tippett, Patton, Cox/Naitnui etc

bornadog
03-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Played a very good game on the weekend and beat his man Butcher. I thought his kicking was also better (other than one wild kick out from the defensive 50).

I think he will settle in well in one of the key positions in the backline.

G-Mo77
03-06-2013, 02:42 PM
My first memories of him was the guy who walked in front of my car when I was trying to park the car in the Batman St Carpark. I didn't know who he was and when I was going to give him an earful I noticed the Bulldog coloured tie so I bit my tongue. Then it clicked, that was Michael Talia google confirmed. :D

Great to see him making good progress. Looked pretty comfortable in tough conditions Saturday night.

craigsahibee
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
My first memories of him was the guy who walked in front of my car when I was trying to park the car in the Batman St Carpark. I didn't know who he was and when I was going to give him an earful I noticed the Bulldog coloured tie so I bit my tongue. Then it clicked, that was Michael Talia google confirmed. :D

Great to see him making good progress. Looked pretty comfortable in tough conditions Saturday night.

That's what I took from the game aswell, just how comfortable he looked. As BAD suggested, one shocker of a kick exiting the defensive 50 but apart from that I thought he was excellent first time up this season.

He didn't appear to be hurried at all when he had the footy.

Good signs on Saturday night.

Sedat
03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Played a very good game on the weekend and beat his man Butcher. I thought his kicking was also better (other than one wild kick out from the defensive 50).

I think he will settle in well in one of the key positions in the backline.
Reckon he was even better than that - he took Butcher to the cleaners (when Port were dominating) and forced him to be subbed out. I was really impressed with his game.

G-Mo77
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Reckon he was even better than that - he took Butcher to the cleaners (when Port were dominating) and forced him to be subbed out. I was really impressed with his game.

I'm not downplaying what Talia did to Butcher but what's going on with him? He was the next big thing at Port last year and I'm pretty sure this is his first game back. Has he been injured? Down on form? Other reasons?

The Pie Man
03-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Thought Talia was more than solid - will be hard to drop following that performance.

Happy with the look of the back 6 moving forward - just missing a mid-sized Bob Murphy style HBF to compliment the run of JJ (and that may be Easton Wood - I said 'may' be ':))

Remi Moses
03-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Looks comfortable one on one for a young player.
He plays similar to his brother, besides that one shocker he had a good night.

Remi Moses
03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm not downplaying what Talia did to Butcher but what's going on with him? He was the next big thing at Port last year and I'm pretty sure this is his first game back. Has he been injured? Down on form? Other reasons?

Just think teams were going to throw the kitchen sink to get him back home.
Poor kick , and has had numerous injuries which have hampered his development.
Was anyone else surprised by how tall Port went in their forward line?

LostDoggy
06-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Just think teams were going to throw the kitchen sink to get him back home.
Poor kick , and has had numerous injuries which have hampered his development.
Was anyone else surprised by how tall Port went in their forward line?

Yea bit surprised both teams went that tall. Both coaches first year up there though still surprised.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

I was at the game and watched Talia closely. He was very impressive; not blessed with pace, but isn't critically slow. Knew where to position himself which was really pleasing and knows how to use his body to make it hard for his opponent.

He also made a noticeable effort to provide some rebound which was surprising but again pleasing. Disposal was good minus one or two kicks.

I was annoyed when we were playing Austin and Markovic in front of him in the NAB Cup and early rounds of the H&A season prior to his injury. Hopefully he plays the year out now though, so much to work with.

1eyedog
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM

Yes he had an interrupted preason. He was also eased into the NAB Cup comp but did his wrist I believe. He's also had a hamstring early this season. I think Saturday night was his first game (or perhaps second) for the year.

bornadog
06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I was at the game and watched Talia closely. He was very impressive; not blessed with pace, but isn't critically slow. Knew where to position himself which was really pleasing and knows how to use his body to make it hard for his opponent.

He also made a noticeable effort to provide some rebound which was surprising but again pleasing. Disposal was good minus one or two kicks.

I was annoyed when we were playing Austin and Markovic in front of him in the NAB Cup and early rounds of the H&A season prior to his injury. Hopefully he plays the year out now though, so much to work with.

He has been working hard on his rebounding.

What was his kicking like, hard to tell on TV?

LostDoggy
06-06-2013, 02:02 PM

I was the opposite. Like with Wallis getting sent back; I just think they are making these kids work and work on fundamentals in the two's so they get basics drilled in. It seems like a list approach where they will use older maybe less skilled bodies rather than throw the kids in who may have non-negociables they need to show they can improve.

I've really enjoyed watching the in's and out's this year. It looks very very strategic to me although I could equally be totally overthinking it...... :D

Stringer needs to go back for a couple of weeks at least to get some leather poisoning.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-06-2013, 12:13 AM
He has been working hard on his rebounding.

What was his kicking like, hard to tell on TV?

Pretty good. He usually took the safer option, but that's OK -- it isn't his role to be trying to kick miracle balls anyway.

He only made a couple of blunders, nothing too bad though. Looked to me as though he's been paying close attention to it.