PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - 2013 NAB Cup - Dogs vs Bombers/Pies

GVGjr
15-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Looking forward to these two contests and I wonder how the weather will impact the games.

How do you think we will go?

AndrewP6
15-02-2013, 07:52 PM
We're (not surprisingly) rusty. Good to see Moz and Coons back...

GVGjr
15-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Skill errors on both sides. Lower has done OK but his kicking is a bit flukey.

AndrewP6
15-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Haven't minded Lower, has got a bit of it.

LostDoggy
15-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I like the fact Boyds kicking has improved

Go_Dogs
15-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Hard to take too much from it so far, Lower has got involved a bit kicking a little off, Griff same. Goodes looked ok by foot.

Interesting role Picken is playing.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 08:16 PM
I like the fact Boyds kicking has improved

What?? He has already turned it over a number of times?

Seems as though our lack of forwards and entry into the forward line still sucks

Some nice run and carry at times as good signs by some.

Great to see Morris back!

LostDoggy
15-02-2013, 08:23 PM
What?? He has already turned it over a number of times?

Fairly sure that was sarcasm.

Nice lead and finish by Jones.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Haha ok. Minson held a mark...looking good

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Good to see Coons moving freely!

Backline showing some dash but undersized

GVGjr
15-02-2013, 08:27 PM
Fairly sure that was sarcasm.

Nice lead and finish by Jones.

It was a nice passage of play from Macrae to Minson, Addison and then Jones

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 08:31 PM
It was a nice passage of play from Macrae to Minson, Addison and then Jones

Macrae looks good. Brings some quality!

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 08:35 PM
To many spectators in the back half then. No one going hard.. results in goal

LostDoggy
We havent hit one target coming through the middle of the ground.

Reminds me of last year..

Lower the stand out for me.

angelopetraglia
Can't stand Dwane Russell's commentating. Very annoying.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Can't stand Dwane Russell's commentating. Very annoying.

Agree!
Always gets the names wrong.

Still calls Matt Boyd - Brad Boyd haaha

Go_Dogs
15-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Ball movement forward still needs improvement but can't read too much into yet. One nice passage of movement which led to Jones' goal being the highlight.

bornadog
15-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Reminds me of last year.

Nothing has changed. Boyd still can't kick Addison still a plodder and we have no idea how to deliver a ball past the centre line.

Hopefully we can work on a few things and be more competitive

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Disappointing performance.Same old forward line which was awful.
Good to see Cooney and Morris back. Lower and Goodes showed they could be handy players. Markovic and Austin not good enough as key defenders.
Boyd's poor disposal still a big concern. We can only get better.

LostDoggy
15-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Agree!
Always gets the names wrong.

Still calls Matt Boyd - Brad Boyd haaha

Roos is worse mentioning that we will have a better forward line when Roughead returns. Good to see he's done his homework there.

PedroArvy
15-02-2013, 08:45 PM
I feel sick after that. They came out with a bang and then clearly looked intimidated by Essendons intent. The forward half was depressing. It looked like last year. Totally useless.

chef
15-02-2013, 08:47 PM
It's going to be another long season.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Not overly inspiring start. Ball use still very poor, Boyd probably the worst user in the team, Murphy poor again too. Still no movement across half forward, Jones showed a bit at times but Cordy is just a statue on the footy field, huge concern. Markovic and Austin really struggle at the level, hoping Talia shows a bit in the second game.

Lower looked good, Goodes showed a bit, and JJ looked to create. We really need Williams across half forward presenting up.

PedroArvy
15-02-2013, 08:50 PM
They do say the NAB cup means nothing .......

Greystache
15-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Not overly inspiring start. Ball use still very poor, Boyd probably the worst user in the team, Murphy poor again too. Still no movement across half forward, Jones showed a bit at times but Cordy is just a statue on the footy field, huge concern. Markovic and Austin really struggle at the level, hoping Talia shows a bit in the second game.

Lower looked good, Goodes showed a bit, and JJ looked to create. We really need Williams across half forward presenting up.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Clay Smith has come on for Boyd, we obviously wanted some better users of the ball in the team :D

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Gia nice grab, hope his body holds up this season.Goal - Class

stefoid
15-02-2013, 09:02 PM
They do say the NAB cup means nothing .......

Unless you win, in which case its a clear indicator of the season to come.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Clay lookin good...Boyd may struggle to get a game :P

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Talia reminded me over Hargrave - just spolied his own player comin over the top, resultin in goal.
Then early bombed ball long to no one.. hmmm

Mantis
15-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Couple of howlers from Jong... Our ball use looks like being poor again.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Dahl lookin good. :)
STAR

Greystache
15-02-2013, 09:19 PM
The whole forward 50m is open and we have 2 forwards running back towards goal, we have no one who is willing to lead up.

angelopetraglia
15-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Gia involved in every goal. Better quarter.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Only saw Redpath lead up.
Nice tackle early on by Grant. Hope he comes on but seems to me more of the same.
The odd flash here and there but not enough

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-02-2013, 09:23 PM
A good first half against Collingwood.I liked Campbell Libba and Smith in the midfield. A much better effort with Gia starring up forward.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Nice tackle early on by Grant. Hope he comes on but seems to me more of the same. The odd flash here and there but not enough

He's going into his 6th season in the AFL system and I still have no idea what type of player he's trying to be. His career is quickly passing him by.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Redpath strong tackle on Harry O

Ayce great statue in the goal square!

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Thought Tom Young and Goodes showed some promise down back

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Ling goes well, hope skills can hold up

DOG GOD
15-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Predictions for 2013...
Our fwd line non existent again
Our back line to be under immense pressure every game

LostDoggy
15-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Cordy just simply won't make it.

Really need Stringer too work out for us.

Go_Dogs
15-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Pretty disappointing finish tonight. Hope we can see a better hit out in two weeks time.

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Dogs still can only play a half!

LostDoggy
15-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Skills very poor.
Forward line non existent.
Faded late in both games.

Ummmm...

Rance Fan
15-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Will Macca just resend the weekly letters from last year after each match for 2013

Arhhh gonna be a long year.
Maybe we can scrape together a competitive team out of the two teams from tonight....maybe

Well good to see Cross and Morris back and Coons moving well

craigsahibee
15-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Christian Howard has got worse. Is that possible?

The Bulldogs Bite
15-02-2013, 09:56 PM
I've said it a few times, but Cordy won't make it. I could never understand the fuss about him at junior level, and even though he had a few injuries to deal with early on in his career, he's shown absolutely nothing. It angers me that we've given him a 3 year contract. Tim Walsh showed more than he has to date. He's not alone though, because Howard is just as bad.

Our skill level is disgusting. I know that it's a NAB Cup match, but both Essendon/Collingwood used it better than we did and had a fluent style to the way they played. All we did was turn it over, fumble and bomb it long to nobody.

Fair to say I am not too pleased with what I watched at all.

Goodes was very good -- tough, composed and had good skills. I thought he was our best or close to. Macrae looked composed and hit targets from the little game time he got, Jones converted his shot well, Gia was very good and JJ showed a desire to run.

Hotdog60
15-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Some positives, Goodes did ok and Lower also. Wallis and Libba continue on getting kicks and Smith knows how to find it.

First hit in some sort of earnest so we'll have to see how the next game goes.

Can't believe Wallis tackle was paid against him.

bulldogtragic
15-02-2013, 10:00 PM
It's going to be another long season.
Beat me to it word for word. Longgggg season.

craigsahibee
15-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Some positives, Goodes did ok and Lower also. Wallis and Libba continue on getting kicks and Smith knows how to find it.

First hit in some sort of earnest so we'll have to see how the next game goes.

Can't believe Wallis tackle was paid against him.

Turned the game that free kick.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 10:09 PM
The mature recruits all showed a bit, Goodes was solid, Lower was promising, and even Tom Young showed a bit. Hopefully Stevens can add something too.

As others have said Cordy and Howard won't make it and are just taking up a spot, Markovic and Austin are at best battlers. What I wouldn't give for a forward who could command the ball and straighten us up out of defence. The half back line is a footballing swamp given our lack of options to kick to.

Dahlhaus battled hard in horrible conditions, Wallis continued to show promise, and Smith looks a star of the future. Hopefully our combined best 22 will be a more cohesive unit but I'm not convinced.

comrade
15-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm obviously going the early crow but if they don't become solid contributors, surely we need to flush out the likes of Grant and Howard (and Cordy but who'd take him) and get as many picks as possible in the draft.

Remi Moses
15-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Long season .
Once we get our Full Forward Roughy back , we'll be right.
So who is touted number 1 pick?
Double edged sword the kicking going in is woeful and the forward 50 is non existent.
Reasonable between the arcs ( roos is right)
Hopefully we get to see Stringer, Hunter and Hrovat soon.

AndrewP6
15-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Long season .
Once we get our Full Forward Roughy back , we'll be right.
So who is touted number 1 pick?
Double edged sword the kicking going in is woeful and the forward 50 is non existent.
Reasonable between the arcs ( roos is right)
Hopefully we get to see Stringer, Hunter and Hrovat soon.

Full forward who is earmarked to play full back!

Dry Rot
15-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Our skill level is disgusting. I know that it's a NAB Cup match, but both Essendon/Collingwood used it better than we did and had a fluent style to the way they played. All we did was turn it over, fumble and bomb it long to nobody.

Fair to say I am not too pleased with what I watched at all.

Agreed.

I have just had a really ****ed night.

Drove across the city to an AFL pub to watch the first game, but the silly ***** had failed to renew their Fox Footy subscription. Missed first game, except for part of the last bit with a radio call.

Found local pub with vision and no sound, watched second game.

We are a stupid team with no skills, no tall forwards and no system to get the ball forward.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm obviously going the early crow but if they don't become solid contributors, surely we need to flush out the likes of Grant and Howard (and Cordy but who'd take him) and get as many picks as possible in the draft.

Grant might still have some limited currency for the optimistic clubs, last year was the year to try to trade Howard (which got shouted down) but in the end we probably gave him too many games so his form was exposed. Agree no one would take Cordy and he has another year on his contact (cue the Fantasia bashing). We just need to keep turning over the list and try to find players who have the ability AND desire to make it at AFL level.

Dry Rot
15-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Grant might still have some limited currency for the optimistic clubs, last year was the year to try to trade Howard (which got shouted down) but in the end we probably gave him too many games so his form was exposed. Agree no one would take Cordy and he has another year on his contact (cue the Fantasia bashing). We just need to keep turning over the list and try to find players who have the ability AND desire to make it at AFL level.

I thought Grant was one of our better players tonight.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 10:25 PM
I thought Grant was one of our better players tonight.

He hung out looking for an easy one from a team mate in space, he got his name on the scorers sheet but did little to improve our forward potency.

ReLoad
15-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I learnt one thing tonight, Goodes is a supercoach must have bargain pick.

Apart form that it was same old, same old issues.

Our tackling, contested work and intensity are great, so no issues there, but our forward ball movement, skills (Boyd in game 1 - zomg!) and forward pressure are non existent.

Question for those aspiring coaches; WTF was picken doing on Dustbin?

bulldogtragic
15-02-2013, 10:39 PM
We delayed getting Hall by a year by refusing to pass up on Cordy. It was always a silver lining that Cordy would flourish. Missed a premiership and signed and kept an under performer. No silver lining. :(

A flatlining performance. Some hope would have been nice. Apparently too much to expect for a lifelong member... Just me being selfish I guess.

Hotdog60
15-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Our tackling, contested work and intensity are great, so no issues there, but our forward ball movement, skills (Boyd in game 1 - zomg!) and forward pressure are non existent.

Maybe trying to create a mismatch of some sorts, to Picken's credit he got away from Fletcher on a few occasions but the kick to him wasn't to his advantage.

AndrewP6
15-02-2013, 10:40 PM

He'd have had a couple of sniffs if the delivery wasn't so bad.

lemmon
15-02-2013, 10:46 PM
How were Higgins and Morris?

GVGjr
15-02-2013, 10:56 PM

I thought they both had good hit outs.

LostDoggy
15-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Not even a real practice match in a development year. Woe abounds, lets be realistic.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 11:09 PM

Morris seemed to be moving well and did a pretty good job in his limited game time.

Higgins did a couple of nice things including a good finish.

Greystache
15-02-2013, 11:10 PM
And I seriously hate this round robin format!

The Bulldogs Bite
15-02-2013, 11:20 PM
To be honest, I wasn't impressed by Higgins.

He's very slow both mentally and physically.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-02-2013, 11:38 PM
I just watched both games. Well, it's just like picking up from where we left off in round 22.
I didn't expect to see exponential improvement, but I must same I am a little bit surprised that we on first glance haven't shown any minor glimpses of learning taking hold.

* Still turning the ball over with uncanny regularity.
* Lots of players so focused on getting the ball at a contest that it leaves lots of opposition free just outside the area. This means that just like last year if we win the ball, we've got noone to give it to who is in a better position, or if we don't win the ball the opposition have numbers clear of the pack.
* Kicking forward of centre with very little thought (Dahlhaus is not 6 ft 4- so dont keep trying to drop it on his head.
* Forward line movement almost non existent.

The positives for me tonight were:

Dale Morris- a true warrior. Given the horrific injury he suffered, it would be fair to expect him to be abit jittery. Not Dale, he is so selfless, brave and competitive. He typifies the qualities the coach will no doubt want to instill amongst the young group.

Goodes - didn't play like a first gamer and based on tonight's performance will play a lot of games this season.

Lower- certainly got involved and will no doubt give you effort. However in a good team I feel he would only be a depth player.

Johannisen- still raw, but has composure and dash

Gia looks like he will be our leading forward again this year, which is actually not a good thing.

I'll stear clear of the poor performers at this stage of the year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-02-2013, 11:51 PM

We did turn a number of players over at the end of 2012 and this trend needs to continue.Markovic Austin Addison Tutt all would appear to have limited careers in addition to Grant Cordy and Howard.Getting games into Cooney and Morris is a must whilst Roughead Williams and Roberts will provide badly needed big man strength. I am still to be convinced of Jones being our great white hope up forward. Maybe he could become our third tall forward with the hope that Stringer Redpath or Roberts can emerge as our key forwards.I like Campbell in the ruck and believe he has the capacity to eventually become our number one ruckman. We need more from Wood who may be better suited with his pace on a wing now that Morris has returned to the defence and the likes of Goodes Lower JJ and Young being played down back. Boyd needs to set a greater example by focusing on having much better disposal.The effort against Collingwood was a lot better than our first hit out against the Bombers. Our best combination can still be competitive providing we can find a couple of decent forwards and a greater emphasis on foot skills.

firstdogonthemoon
15-02-2013, 11:57 PM
oh dear

SonofScray
15-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Geez Cordy looked all at sea, a real worry.
General skill level was poor, possibly to be expected.
Still no real sting in the attack.
Not a great deal of run.
Tackling as strong at time, poor at others.
Grant looks a bit harder, could put in a good season on what I saw tonight.

craigsahibee
16-02-2013, 12:03 AM
oh dear

Pretty much sums it up.

LostDoggy
16-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Didn't see any "quality young men" out there?

angelopetraglia
16-02-2013, 12:15 AM
It's going to be a long year. It's not always going to be fun. Actually most of the time it will suck. But most of us will be there every week, hoping to see a better performance, hoping to see a player show something, hoping to see a contest, just watching our beloved red, white and blue.

Most weeks, we won't see anything to make us happy. If we a lucky we will see a glimpse. It won't matter though, either way, we will still be there next week. We are always there next week, we have always been there next week. We will complain, we will bitch, but deep down, we still love the footy ..... winning, losing even when we can't compete. Such is the life of a Bulldog's supporter.

Dry Rot
16-02-2013, 12:25 AM
It's going to be a long year. It's not always going to be fun. Actually most of the time it will suck. But most of us will be there every week, hoping to see a better performance, hoping to see a player show something, hoping to see a contest, just watching our beloved red, white and blue.

Most weeks, we won't see anything to make us happy. If we a lucky we will see a glimpse. It won't matter though, either way, we will still be there next week. We are always there next week, we have always been there next week. We will complain, we will bitch, but deep down, we still love the footy ..... winning, losing even when we can't compete. Such is the life of a Bulldog's supporter.

Sorry, some of us want to see a glimmer that this will turn around.

Remi Moses
16-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Thought there were a few positives.
Goodes, Smith, Lower were okay.
Macrae, showed a bit ( hit a target and a sidestep):eek:

Eastdog
16-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Geez Cordy looked all at sea, a real worry.
General skill level was poor, possibly to be expected.
Still no real sting in the attack.
Not a great deal of run.
Tackling as strong at time, poor at others.
Grant looks a bit harder, could put in a good season on what I saw tonight.

My sentiment too on tonight's matches SoS. There are certainly a lot of improving to do before our first full match against Hawthorn. The crowd turnout was very good tonight for a pre season match.

Remi Moses
16-02-2013, 12:34 AM
Sorry, some of us want to see a glimmer that this will turn around.

The glimmer you'll see us young players improving and a few Wont get there.
Before we begin the wrist slashing , can we at least start when the ACTUAL season begins.

Eastdog
16-02-2013, 12:45 AM
The glimmer you'll see us young players improving and a few Wont get there.
Before we begin the wrist slashing , can we at least start when the ACTUAL season begins.

Lets be glad the footy is back first of all.

Remi Moses
16-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Lets be glad the footy is back first of all.

Thanks Dwayne Russell:p
Starts at Easter for mine

Eastdog
16-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks Dwayne Russell:p
Starts at Easter for mine

Exactly. I think some supporters take it too seriously when it is just the NAB Cup. At the same time though I can see why some would be concerned about the season ahead on what we saw tonight.

SonofScray
16-02-2013, 01:03 AM
I usually don't go to the shortened games, ridiculous concept. So my investment in tonight was minimal, basically showed up to fire a few barbs at the EFC and get a sense of what to expect in a few weeks, a feel for what the rest of the Clan are thinking.

It wasn't all doom and gloom walking back to the car. Fans pulling out little bits and pieces of good play/signs. That'll be the trick, to start identifying those aspects of our game. Hoping for a few watershed moments in the careers of guys like Grant and Higgins, that'd get me through a slim season.

Black Swan
16-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Am new to this forum, but find the negativity towards developing players boring and depressing. It's basically a trial game, first hit out, getting a feel for the game and new faces and some people are talking about cutting the list already, not even round 1!!

bornadog
16-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Ridiculous format which is unfair in many respects. By the time we started the second half of the Collingwood match we had played the equivalent of three quarters and Collingwood one. I know some fresh players come on but I just don't see the purpose.

Unlike others who expect too much from
Grant all I want him to do is kick 2 to 3 goals per week or 40 to 50 for the season and apply forward. Pressure.

G-Mo77
16-02-2013, 01:37 AM
Just got home, I don't take much from this horrible format but it was hard not to walk away just a little deflated. There are still some major holes there and the same players that are on the fringe did not look like they have or are going to improve. That to me is the biggest worry.

Loved our tackling though, one thing I noticed is our tackles seemed to stick tonight.

SonofScray
16-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Ridiculous format which is unfair in many respects. By the time we started the second half of the Collingwood match we had played the equivalent of three quarters and Collingwood one. I know some fresh players come on but I just don't see the purpose.

Grant all I want him to do is kick 2 to 3 goals per week or 40 to 50 for the season and apply forward. Pressure.

I would have thought 30 goals from Grant would be a pass mark. 40-50 is a big season. Which would be great to see.

LostDog
16-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Essendon were woeful last year in the NAB cup from what I remember then came out and started the year off awesome.

That may have been the drugs though

G-Mo77
16-02-2013, 02:00 AM

I'd hate to think what you'd estimate if your expectations were high. 100? :)

I've kind of lost all my expectations of Jarrad anyway.

Greystache
16-02-2013, 02:06 AM

I would've thought 50 goals is pretty unrealistic for a player who has only 50 goals to his career. If anything you're expecting far more of Grant than anyone else.

AndrewP6
16-02-2013, 02:10 AM
I'd hate to think what you'd estimate if your expectations were high. 100? :)

I've kind of lost all my expectations of Jarrad anyway.

Me too, and that's a worry.

Greystache
16-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Am new to this forum, but find the negativity towards developing players boring and depressing. It's basically a trial game, first hit out, getting a feel for the game and new faces and some people are talking about cutting the list already, not even round 1!!

It's hardly as if people are writing off players after one game. The players being questioned have been on the list for 4-6 years and have shown little in the way of consistency or in some case little at all.

jeemak
16-02-2013, 04:22 AM
I didn't get to see the second game against the Pies.

Firstly, Essendon are in a development stage where they should be looking to cement a spot through the season as a top six contender. They were never going to put in a bad performance tonight, especially having been beaten up to the extent they have been over the last couple of weeks. They are easily a three or four goal per standard half of football better side than we are.

Collingwood having come on a little fresher, being a more mature side and a side that is going to contend for top four once again were always going to make us look a bit average. As I said, I didn't see the second game, so I'll leave it at that.

The skill level concerned me, and the disorganised and crude approach to positioning also worried me throughout the first game.

Much like last year we're not developed enough from a skill perspective, a strength perspective or a smarts perspective. The sides we played against tonight were far more advanced in all of those areas, and from what I saw in the first game it showed.

The forward structure against Essendon was a joke, and I await further analysis from other woofers to help explain it to me, and tell me if things changed up against Collingwood.

We are a list still transitioning from being stable in 2008-2011 to having lost a number of key performers and it shows. It's going to be a very tough year, but I'll not get too upset by the performance in a silly competition format just yet. I'll see how we go in the second round.

Eastdog
16-02-2013, 04:41 AM
I didn't get to see the second game against the Pies.

Firstly, Essendon are in a development stage where they should be looking to cement a spot through the season as a top six contender. They were never going to put in a bad performance tonight, especially having been beaten up to the extent they have been over the last couple of weeks. They are easily a three or four goal per standard half of football better side than we are.

Collingwood having come on a little fresher, being a more mature side and a side that is going to contend for top four once again were always going to make us look a bit average. As I said, I didn't see the second game, so I'll leave it at that.

The skill level concerned me, and the disorganised and crude approach to positioning also worried me throughout the first game.

Much like last year we're not developed enough from a skill perspective, a strength perspective or a smarts perspective. The sides we played against tonight were far more advanced in all of those areas, and from what I saw in the first game it showed.

The forward structure against Essendon was a joke, and I await further analysis from other woofers to help explain it to me, and tell me if things changed up against Collingwood.

We are a list still transitioning from being stable in 2008-2011 to having lost a number of key performers and it shows. It's going to be a very tough year, but I'll not get too upset by the performance in a silly competition format just yet. I'll see how we go in the second round.

I stayed for all the matches jeemak with my brother who is a Collingwood supporter and at the start of the Collingwood match I thought we played well but towards the end faded. Out of the 2 matches we played the Pies match was a little better.

jeemak
16-02-2013, 05:02 AM
I stayed for all the matches jeemak my brother who is a Collingwood supporter and at the start of the Collingwood match I thought we played well but towards the end faded. Out of the 2 matches we played the Pies match was a little better.

Thanks mate.

So do you think there were any positive signs to build on?

Eastdog
16-02-2013, 05:12 AM
Thanks mate.

So do you think there were any positive signs to build on?

It's a bit hard to make anything from two shorter games but yeah I think it's a long process for us until we come good and that's what most of our supporters would think. The next few games of the NAB Cup will give more of an indication but the real indicators will be at the start of the Home and Away season.

GVGjr
16-02-2013, 07:26 AM
I was disappointed with the way that we played particularly with our skills but I also understand that we have a lot of work to do on the list.

Some of the positives for me are:
- Cooney moving freely. He won't get back to his Brownlow best but he should have a greater impact than he has in a few years.
- Liberatore return was pretty good. Hopefully he focused on his football again
- The recruits in Young, Lower and Goodes will add some much needed depth to the list. Goodes looked lean and not out of place on the park.
- Giansiracusa is still in our best 22
- The return of Dale Morris is a positive step.
- Higgins looked as fit as I can recall.

The concerns are:
- Cordy still not looking like he can hold down a position as a forward rotating in the ruck.
- Grants body language and forward pressure
- A dysfunctional forward line
- Skill errors

The road ahead:
Add Roughead and Williams to the mix and we will look a better side.
Stick with the mature recruits of Lower, Goodes, Young and Stevens and see what they can add.
Lets have a good look at Roberts as a key defender or a key forward

Plenty of things to work on for the coaching team

Ghost Dog
16-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I didn't see the game. What was the issue with Boyd?
Shanking it again?

Maddog37
16-02-2013, 10:12 AM
oh dear

Top post.:rolleyes:

Hotdog60
16-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I didn't see the game. What was the issue with Boyd?
Shanking it again?

Pretty much, Boyd of old.

I liked Smith, the guy is as tough as nails. How many times was he tackled and was able to stand in the tackle and dispose off the ball. If his kicking can improve and last night wasn't that bad he will be a gun.

I agree with GVGjr on the Senior new blokes and they will help to stabilize us to some extent.

I would also persevere with Campbell instead of Cordy, I think he would offer us more and last night had a bit of Huddo about him but maybe it's the beard.

Cyberdoggie
16-02-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm not reading too much into it because it's a practice match, but i was looking for changes on last year.

The big problem for us is we are continually trying to speed handball out of these contested packs but we keep handballing to stationary targets who end up under pressure.

Players need to have the balls to take the game on themselves and get their team mates to create space for them and then run and spread.

Our disposal is poor because of pressure and perceived pressure. Everyone is scared of getting caught with the ball so they dish it off as soon as they get it.

It was scary that a young kid like Macrae, and a first gamer in Goodes had far more composure than most of the side.

Ghost Dog
16-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I'll have to have a look at the game, but sounds like we are starting exactly where we left off in 2012.

I read Tom Campbell was ok. Doing well for a 21 year old.

Mofra
16-02-2013, 12:34 PM
The mature recruits all showed a bit, Goodes was solid, Lower was promising, and even Tom Young showed a bit. Hopefully Stevens can add something too.
He's the mature ager I was most happy about picking up, but Lower & Goodes look set for round 1 debuts. Will be interesting to see how Stevens plays in the next few weeks of the pre-season.

The Underdog
16-02-2013, 02:45 PM
If last night showed me anything it's that Johanissen should be in our round 1 team. His run, carry and delivery is exactly what we need.
Liked Lower's game quite a lot, looks a solid AFL footballer who does the smart things.
Thought Cooney's game was a positive. Not dominant but moved freely and with pace.
Clay Smith attacks the footy like it killed his family, even more intense than last year.
Dale Morris' first tackle was glorious. He looked like Dale of old.

Itr was a depressing night for the familiarity of the way we turned the ball over but there are going to be things to enjoy this year.

Ghost Dog
16-02-2013, 03:29 PM
It said in the paper that Goodes resisted an opportunity to bend down to scoop up the ball, Not sure who against. and it was a bad look. Anyone concur?

The Underdog
16-02-2013, 03:36 PM
It said in the paper that Goodes resisted an opportunity to bend down to scoop up the ball, Not sure who against. and it was a bad look. Anyone concur?

Tried to kick off the ground when he should have bent down to pick it up. Wrong decision at the time.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2013, 03:52 PM
The severe lack of a forward set-up concerns me a lot.

I think we all understand that not having the likes of a Barry Hall/Brad Johnson type to build around is difficult, but we should be able to see signs of structure. By that, I mean that when our midfield and half backs get their hands on the ball, we should be able to see a definitive style and plan that they are trying to implement. Last season, there was no evidence of this. Our mids/half backs bombed the ball aimlessly and we were constantly out-numbered. Last night was a carbon copy of 2012 in that regard, which was really disappointing. We didn't look like we knew what to do with the ball when we got it -- there was no process to follow, no plan that players were trying to carry out. It was as simple as get it on your boot and move it forward at all costs. Even if we did have Hall/Johnson/Franklin/Carey down there, their influence would be minimized because we're simply not giving our forwards a chance. I'll watch closely over the following weeks/months, but this for mine, is a coaching issue. It simply needs to improve. We don't have the personnel, but we can still have a system.

Giansiracusa certainly did help a lot in regards to ball movement when he got on the field. Such a clever half forward, knows exactly where to lead, when, and how to use his body at the right times. This was a little more pleasing that we started to work the ball with more intelligence at times during the Collingwood game, although it faded. Picken was leading Fletcher to the ball every single solitary time in the first game, but every ball directed his way was at his feet or 10-15m to his left or right.

Just on Cordy: I know he's had injuries and such, but he has few excuses this season. Nobody is saying he needs to dominate, but he should be able to start impacting contests and taking some marks. He has absolutely no presence on the field which, for a man of his height, is alarming. Many on this site don't rate Redpath, and although he did very little last night, he still had more of an impact than Cordy. Why? Because he attacked each contest with purpose. He split a few packs, showed some intensity and made a bone crunching tackle on O'Brien. Small signs and nothing that got me excited, but it emphasized to me that Cordy's intensity and presence is insipid -- you don't need a hundred games experience to show either of those qualities.

F'scary
16-02-2013, 04:13 PM
I have a suggestion. Put the EJ statue in the goal square and make Cordy stand in the middle of the roundabout outside club.

Greystache
16-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Just on Cordy: I know he's had injuries and such, but he has few excuses this season. Nobody is saying he needs to dominate, but he should be able to start impacting contests and taking some marks. He has absolutely no presence on the field which, for a man of his height, is alarming. Many on this site don't rate Redpath, and although he did very little last night, he still had more of an impact than Cordy. Why? Because he attacked each contest with purpose. He split a few packs, showed some intensity and made a bone crunching tackle on O'Brien. Small signs and nothing that got me excited, but it emphasized to me that Cordy's intensity and presence is insipid -- you don't need a hundred games experience to show either of those qualities.

That's the crux of the issue for me too. It's not that Cordy is making mistakes, dropping marks, getting outbodied, or leading to the wrong places, it's that he's not doing anything at all. One of the primary reasons we blindly bomb the ball high and long into the forward 50m is that the forwards are standing still in the goal square with no intention of moving. I've seen the Statue of Liberty move more on a windy day than Cordy would during the course of a game. Redpath realistically did nothing in his game time, but even still he looked vastly more capable of playing forward and offering something.

People can say he's had injury problems that have slowed his progress, but it's not as if we're epecting him to dominate games, just show some sort of indication he can offer something. His output while playing seniors would be disapointing from a first year draftee, let alone a player going into his 5th year in the system. As I said Redpath had no impact but I thought he showed some promise, that's all I'm looking for and haven't seen any of that from Cordy.

Throughandthrough
16-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a suggestion. Put the EJ statue in the goal square and make Cordy stand in the middle of the roundabout outside club.

Harsh, but very very funny.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2013, 10:47 PM

Literally laughed out aloud.

Very amusing call F'scary! :D

SonofScray
17-02-2013, 12:36 AM

That will go down as one of the all time great calls in FFC history. Made my night.

GVGjr
17-02-2013, 10:04 AM
What are the likeliness that the following players will be able to get a spot in the Round 1 side?

Johannisen
Lower
Young
Stevens
Goodes
Cordy
Howard
Tutt
Talia
Addison
Hrovat
Stinger
Macrae

Hotdog60
17-02-2013, 12:12 PM
What are the likeliness that the following players will be able to get a spot in the Round 1 side?

Johannisen
Lower
Young
Stevens
Goodes
Cordy
Howard
Tutt
Talia
Addison
Hrovat
Stinger
Macrae

I suppose we will have to wait and see over the next couple of weeks, but I think Goodes, Lower and Johannisen haven't done themselves any harm. I loved the tap on from Luke to JJ at one stage and showed some smart thinking. Pearce wasn't on your list, do you think he is behind the first gamers.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Not even a real practice match in a development year. Woe abounds, lets be realistic.

Here here.

bornadog
17-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Johannisen yes
Lower yes
Young no
Stevens maybe
Goodes possible
Cordy no
Howard maybe
Tutt maybe
Talia yes
Addison yes only because the coach likes him
Hrovat no
Stinger no
Macrae no

Note: Maybe equals less than 50% chance ie they need to show more over the next few weeks. Possible is higher than 50% chance - they are in a good position but must keep improving.

No is based on as at the now. Stringer may come in and show great signs, for example and get a game.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Cordy's missed mark and ditto with Grant were in stark contrast to the one grab pack marks I saw Grant take in training, and seemed to be as a result of hard hands. You know how it goes when playing golf in competition, you may tense up and lose the feel, that relaxed, soft hands provide and instead of a beautifully judged and struck bunker shot, you get a knife that airmails the green and threatens the life of those waiting to putt. Like a truth test or a Scientology E metre, that are tests of unconscious tension, the hard handed missed easy mark betrays the fear that incapacitates what would in a relaxed state, be simple. I suspect these guys need individual success. Nothing succeeds like success.

Go_Dogs
17-02-2013, 01:24 PM
At this stage I'd be backing the following in for Rd 1 with Cordy, Young and Stevens the other possibilities.

Johannisen
Lower
Goodes
Howard
Talia
Addison

Will be dependent on form over the next 4 weeks too because we have a lot of options which have merit. I guess at this stage I'm most confident about these guys.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Johannisen
Lower
Young
Stevens
Goodes
Cordy
Howard
Tutt
Talia
Addison
Hrovat
Stinger
Macrae
I would like to think that Johannisen and Stringer would be the most likely to play.
Would like to see more of Goodes Lower and Stevens before suggesting they would be considered for the first game.

G-Mo77
17-02-2013, 08:05 PM

All depends on what happens over the next few weeks. At this stage this who I think will be in the team or in line for selection. Addison and Goodes are locks for round 1 IMO.

Johannisen
Lower
Stevens
Goodes
Talia
Addison
Stinger
Hrovat

Greystache
17-02-2013, 08:33 PM

From that lost I would say;

Johannisen- Yes
Lower- Yes
Young- No
Stevens- Maybe
Goodes- Yes
Cordy- Probably but I wouldn't pick him
Howard- Probably but I wouldn't pick him
Tutt- No
Talia- Yes
Addison- Yes
Hrovat- No
Stinger- No
Macrae- Maybe

Dry Rot
17-02-2013, 11:38 PM
How has been Roberts been travelling? Wasn't he good up forward in last year's VFL finals?

Greystache
18-02-2013, 12:18 AM
How has been Roberts been travelling? Wasn't he good up forward in last year's VFL finals?

He had a good first season at the club, he played consistently well in defence followed by a good finals series up forward. I'm not sure how he's been going preseason, supporters haven't had much to view, but he looks like he's bulked up even more which is promising. I think we'll see him play a few games this year but maybe not early on.

SonofScray
18-02-2013, 01:24 AM

Johannisen- Yes
Lower- Yes
Young- No
Stevens- Maybe
Goodes- Yes
Tutt- No
Talia- Yes
Addison- Yes
Hrovat- No
Stinger- No
Macrae- Maybe

See it the same way. Young might get a shot, he seemed to slot into the backline comfortably.

Just couldn't justify picking Cordy at this stage, starting lose faith in him being able to deliver. He doesn't give us much on current form, neither here nor there whereas Campbell and Minson are a bit more definitive in their play for those tall positions. No room for Ayce for a while I think.

jeemak
18-02-2013, 01:52 AM
See it the same way. Young might get a shot, he seemed to slot into the backline comfortably.

Just couldn't justify picking Cordy at this stage, starting lose faith in him being able to deliver. He doesn't give us much on current form, neither here nor there whereas Campbell and Minson are a bit more definitive in their play for those tall positions. No room for Ayce for a while I think.

I assume we all agree that Cordy needs more game time to develop, but many around here think he shouldn't be picked on current output, and subsequently denied that game time.

That confuses me. Two seasons wrecked by injury, and a body that was significantly underdevelopled was always going to point to him needing a lot of time in the seniors before he produced.

We're in a development phase. Part of the phase is playing players whos output is limited and just dealing with it as part of a broader process.

We've given Cordy a three year deal, and if we don't get games into him it's going to be a wasted three years.

Eastdog
18-02-2013, 03:05 AM
I assume we all agree that Cordy needs more game time to develop, but many around here think he shouldn't be picked on current output, and subsequently denied that game time.

That confuses me. Two seasons wrecked by injury, and a body that was significantly underdevelopled was always going to point to him needing a lot of time in the seniors before he produced.

We're in a development phase. Part of the phase is playing players whos output is limited and just dealing with it as part of a broader process.

We've given Cordy a three year deal, and if we don't get games into him it's going to be a wasted three years.

What role would Ayce Cordy play in our side jeemak? Would you compare how Ayce Cordy is going to Cameron Wight who was a tall but eventually was delisted.

Mofra
18-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Johannisen- Yes
Lower- Yes
Young- No
Stevens- Maybe
Goodes- Yes
Tutt- No
Talia- Yes
Addison- Yes
Hrovat- No
Stinger- No
Macrae- Maybe
Tend to agree (I'll stop pushing the JJ for best 22 case now before I start ranting again :cool:), I think Stevens will surprise and take Howard's spot before pre-season is over.

The tall backs will be interesting. I'm still expecting Roughie to play at this stage, Williams to miss with an extended recovery/pre-season which means at least one other tall backman will be selected.

Mofra
18-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Would you compare how Ayce Cordy is going to Cameron Wight who was a tall but eventually was delisted.
I think they're different players - Wight played as an outside mid in a 200cm+ body, who would play ok 98% of the time then make a couple of absolute howlers.
Cordy is going to take time given how much development he's missed and how much he's changed his body shape in a couple of years. I still think he'll get there but I don't think he's ready yet - but we don't have much else.

I actually think Roughie could be one of our best forward options but he is earmarked for defence.

lemmon
18-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Im a bit more concerned now after seeing the improved performance Port put forward. We looked a long way off their standard and are the sort of team we should be marking ourselves against

Greystache
18-02-2013, 12:37 PM

I understand the concept of young guys needing game time and all those things but I question what has Cordy actually shown to justify being gifted games so he can develop? What is it about Cordy that justifies the investment over any other generic tall kid? Nothing I've seen in his 5 years suggests there's any more to work with than T Hill, T Campbell, Redpath, Roberts, or and handful of tall kids who've been delisted from other clubs.

I've got no problem gifting young kids games they don't deserve when a team is rebuilding but the kid needs to at least show signs of promise even if they're inconsistent. I don't see that when I watch Cordy play. It wasn't so long ago you played 100 AFL matches because you were a very good footballer, now days some kids get 100 just to see if they can't play.

Cordy reminds me of GVGjr's signature.

bornadog
18-02-2013, 12:39 PM
I understand the concept of young guys needing game time and all those things but I question what has Cordy actually shown to justify being gifted games so he can develop? What is it about Cordy that justifies the investment over any other generic tall kid? Nothing I've seen in his 5 years suggests there's any more to work with than T Hill, T Campbell, Redpath, Roberts, or and handful of tall kids who've been delisted from other clubs.

I've got no problem gifting young kids games they don't deserve when a team is rebuilding but the kid needs to at least show signs of promise even if they're inconsistent. I don't see that when I watch Cordy play. It wasn't so long ago you played 100 AFL matches because you were a very good footballer, now days some kids get 100 just to see if they can't play.

I agree with what you are saying, but seems the coaches see more than us mere mortals.

Eastdog
18-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Im a bit more concerned now after seeing the improved performance Port put forward. We looked a long way off their standard and are the sort of team we should be marking ourselves against

From what we saw of Port last season they still have a long way to go but I thought we did show some better signs in the Collingwood match. I hope our fitness is a lot better this year so we can run out matches.

Greystache
18-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Just watched the replay of the Collingwood game. What was noticeable was the improved disposal of Clay Smith, he was actually one of our better users on the day.

Remi Moses
18-02-2013, 04:00 PM

I disagree , Port Adelaide have been rebuilding since 08.
They should be further advanced than us.
We were top 4,they were bottom.

Remi Moses
18-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Unfortunately I agree. What role is he going to play?
Hasn't shown anything for me so far. He gets pushed aside and looks lost to be honest.
Howard at least has shown glimpses in games, as has Jones.

lemmon
18-02-2013, 06:59 PM
I disagree , Port Adelaide have been rebuilding since 08.
They should be further advanced than us.
We were top 4,they were bottom.

Interesting take on it, I guess you don't believe we have finished bottoming out yet?

lemmon
18-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Watching the games for the first time and the most heartening thing Im taking out of them is the movement of Cooney, looks rusty but is moving freely

Remi Moses
18-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Interesting take on it, I guess you don't believe we have finished bottoming out yet?

We'll finish below Port this year.

GVGjr
18-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Port looked very good. I was impressed with the bit I saw. There might be a bigger gap between us than them that I originally thought.

Dancin' Douggy
18-02-2013, 08:58 PM

Painful but true.
Maybe even under Gold coast and GWS.

lemmon
18-02-2013, 09:18 PM

My feelings were that our kids weren't as developed but our older players were definitely a rung above Ports in quality, giving our list the edge. Not feeling that way anymore mind you.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Just watched the replay of the Collingwood game. What was noticeable was the improved disposal of Clay Smith, he was actually one of our better users on the day.

Thought the same thing. He made a howler towards the end of the game whereby he probably tried to be a bit too cute, but that aside, it was a clean performance.

He speaks well in front of the cameras, strikes me as a bit of a 'spiritual' leader. I was one of many who really questioned his selection during the early stages, but he looks like he's going to become a very good player.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-02-2013, 10:37 PM

We wasted too much time IMO last year trying to make Cordy into a key forward when he is clearly a ruckman. At this stage of his development he would be a distant third behind both Minson and Campbell in the rucking choices.

LostDoggy
18-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Johannisen- Yes
Lower- Yes
Young- No
Stevens- Maybe
Goodes- Yes
Tutt- No
Talia- Yes
Addison- Yes
Hrovat- No
Stinger- No
Macrae- Maybe

Stevens
Hrovat
Stringer
These guys didn't even play, how can you exclude them

Remi Moses
18-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Painful but true.
Maybe even under Gold coast and GWS.

Honestly I'd rather finish bottom.
First pick in all drafts

Greystache
18-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Stevens
Hrovat
Stringer
These guys didn't even play, how can you exclude them

I've watched them at training, the NAB cup isn't the first time they've got together this year.

chef
19-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Yep, we haven't bottomed out yet.

Ozza
19-02-2013, 11:36 AM
So much doom and gloom after a couple of 40 minute scratch matches.

Greystache
19-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Thought the same thing. He made a howler towards the end of the game whereby he probably tried to be a bit too cute, but that aside, it was a clean performance.

He speaks well in front of the cameras, strikes me as a bit of a 'spiritual' leader. I was one of many who really questioned his selection during the early stages, but he looks like he's going to become a very good player.

That media conference was very impressive, he answered the questions directly rather than just the usual "Yeah nah look we're just looking forward to next week". He needs a little polish but he is clearly a very bright kid. I still believe he's a smokey to be a future captain.

For anyone who hasn't seen it

LINK (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-02-18/press-conference-clay-smith-17-feb-13)

Go_Dogs
19-02-2013, 12:10 PM
he is clearly a very bright kid. I still believe he's a smokey to be a future captain.

Agreed, he's very impressive for a young guy and seems to have worked very hard to on a few areas over the off-season. I'd have him and Wallis right in the mix for the captaincy, but age just may hold them back if Boyd doesn't continue on as captain in 2014.

Mantis
19-02-2013, 12:14 PM
So much doom and gloom after a couple of 40 minute scratch matches.

Coming on the back of a quite pathetic 2nd half of 2012 did you expect the reaction to be any different?

Agree that it's hard to get much out of a couple of scratch matches, but there wasn't too much to get excited about.

Ozza
19-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Coming on the back of a quite pathetic 2nd half of 2012 did you expect the reaction to be any different?

Agree that it's hard to get much out of a couple of scratch matches, but there wasn't too much to get excited about.

I just don't think its worth throwing the toys out of the cot and saying we will be wooden spooners, we're hopeless, we are a long way behind Port etc - after a couple of nonsense praccy matches.

Everyone is happy to say that this is another development year and that we need time - right up until the actual footy is played.

Mofra
19-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Everyone is happy to say that this is another development year and that we need time - right up until the actual footy is played.
I don't think anyone is expecting us to set the world on fire, but we are goine to be judged against the (albeit low) benchmark of last year, and all fans have the right to be upset if no improvement is noticed.

Our major issues last year were disposal (especially into the F50) and our forward structure. Bulldog fans are desperate for us to make some progress in this area, and with poor showings in the NAB Cup in these areas people are, rightly I might add, going to ask questions on just what has changed.

We need to show we can make inroads into our deficiencies now.

Mantis
19-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I just don't think its worth throwing the toys out of the cot and saying we will be wooden spooners, we're hopeless, we are a long way behind Port etc - after a couple of nonsense praccy matches.

My thoughts at the beginning of 2012 were that we were going to be bad in 2012 and then worse in 2013 before a possible rebound (depending on drafting, player development, coaching, etc), but we need to see signs (no matter how small) that we are on the right track and our first look into what 2013 could hold wasn't great.. luckily for all we will get the opportunity to produce an improved performance in 10 days time.

F'scary
19-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I just don't think its worth throwing the toys out of the cot

Not unless the batteries have gone flat.

bornadog
19-02-2013, 02:13 PM
My thoughts at the beginning of 2012 were that we were going to be bad in 2012 and then worse in 2013 before a possible rebound (depending on drafting, player development, coaching, etc), but we need to see signs (no matter how small) that we are on the right track and our first look into what 2013 could hold wasn't great.. luckily for all we will get the opportunity to produce an improved performance in 10 days time.

You will get your first look in round one against Brisbane when the real footy starts.

Mantis
19-02-2013, 02:30 PM
You will get your first look in round one against Brisbane when the real footy starts.

No, I'll get the opportunity to see us in action in 10 days time when we play Hawthorn.

And I (we) get that you don't rate pre-season games so you don't need to ram it down our throats with every 2nd post you make..

bornadog
19-02-2013, 02:33 PM
No, I'll get the opportunity to see us in action in 10 days time when we play Hawthorn.

And I (we) get that you don't rate pre-season games so you don't need to ram it down our throats with every 2nd post you make..

Don't ram down my throat that the pre-season form means something because of a mickey mouse competition last week end. Practise matches mean PRACTISE.

6 weeks of practise to go.;)

chef
19-02-2013, 02:46 PM
6 weeks of practise to go.;)
Also 6 weeks of trying to sell our brand to potential members.

Maddog37
19-02-2013, 03:39 PM

I think the howler in the last was from getting spun by his opponent just as he kicked the ball. He did spot up Cross beautifully on the back flank between three Pies players.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Go Bulldogs!

EasternWest
19-02-2013, 05:53 PM
That media conference was very impressive, he answered the questions directly rather than just the usual "Yeah nah look we're just looking forward to next week". He needs a little polish but he is clearly a very bright kid. I still believe he's a smokey to be a future captain.

For anyone who hasn't seen it

LINK (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-02-18/press-conference-clay-smith-17-feb-13)

I must admit, I wasn't keen on the selection of Smith. Not because I didn't like him, but because like many, I thought he wasn't what we needed.

I'm still a bit on the fence about whether he was the right player, but I've no question that he will be a very good player. And I love the fact that he's a real "grown up" young man. I rate him highly. I also think that his disposal isn't awful, he just has that odd kicking style.

Go Bulldogs!

Nice ;).

Ghost Dog
19-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I must admit, I wasn't keen on the selection of Smith. Not because I didn't like him, but because like many, I thought he wasn't what we needed.

I'm still a bit on the fence about whether he was the right player, but I've no question that he will be a very good player. And I love the fact that he's a real "grown up" young man. I rate him highly. I also think that his disposal isn't awful, he just has that odd kicking style.

Nice ;).

Respect the kid enormously, but you have to be kidding about the kick ( at this point in time )
Hope he can sort it out because I love the other stuff he brings to the table.

Maddog37
20-02-2013, 10:25 AM
GD, if you get a chance, have a look at the Pies game from the weekend again. A lot of his kicks were very good.

Ghost Dog
20-02-2013, 11:50 AM
GD, if you get a chance, have a look at the Pies game from the weekend again. A lot of his kicks were very good.

Yep - and he's young so there is time for him to get it right. Jobe Watson is a good example.

bulldogsman
20-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Yep - and he's young so there is time for him to get it right. Jobe Watson is a good example.

Seen this mentioned a few times on here. Decision making (composure) was the major issue with him, rather then his actual kicking skills. Source - Kevin Sheedy.

On Smith I've been pretty critical of the selection, I thought we should have been looking for someone a bit more skillful (Crozier). But if his kicking keeps improving like on the weekend then we could end up with a potential gun.

EasternWest
20-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Respect the kid enormously, but you have to be kidding about the kick ( at this point in time )

Nope I'm serious.

You'll note I didn't say "he's a good/great kick", only that he isn't awful. If I've "got to be kidding" then you obviously think he's an awful kick?

Ozza
20-02-2013, 04:50 PM
As Smith gets more experience - I'm sure he will know how to work within his limitations better also.

I really rate the kid, and we are getting a terriffic return out of a (not even) second year player so far.

Ghost Dog
20-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Nope I'm serious.

You'll note I didn't say "he's a good/great kick", only that he isn't awful. If I've "got to be kidding" then you obviously think he's an awful kick?

Season just started. See how he gets along. His ball drop last year made me wince.

EasternWest
20-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Season just started. See how he gets along. His ball drop last year made me wince.

Yeah I agree it looks terrible. Regardless of whether the season just started, I thought his kicking was ok last year too. Not great again, just not as bad as his style might make it appear.

bornadog
20-02-2013, 05:42 PM

He will be fine.

Some nice kicking here:

8Vw7i25y0sQ