PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken : the apple that fell far from the tree

bornadog
17-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/liam-picken-the-apple-that-fell-far-from-the-tree/story-e6frf9jf-1226579578166)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/577580-liam-picken_zps9ce833be.jpg

BILL Picken, larrikin 1970s footballer turned proud footballing father, considers the question and a famous grin starts to form. No, son Liam isn't as flamboyant as he was.

"He's a different type of player ... he's got strengths that I certainly didn't have," Bill said.

"He seems to have good endurance, he's probably very team orientated and he's very dedicated." Bill is remembered for his aerial heroics - and his onfield commentary. Many older fans recall how Bill used to talk to himself. "Here comes Billy" was a common one as the Collingwood centre half-back charged through.

Liam certainly doesn't talk to himself. In fact, he's known for keeping his own counsel.

He's heralded for his hard work, dedication and commitment. Qualities that have been rewarded with another contract that will tie him to the Whitten Oval until the end of 2015.

"AFL is very serious now. When Dad played, the game was full of characters," Liam said. "Dad was working full-time - he'd go to training after work and play on the weekends. They had heaps of fun when they were playing. "Now it's very cutthroat, very serious, I suppose. On the footy field, you've got to be focused."

Rodney Eade knows both men. He played opposite Bill and coached Liam.

"Bill was quite an effervescent, chatty sort of guy. Liam's 180 degrees," Eade said.

"Liam's very quiet, doesn't say much, he just goes about his work pretty much. They're obviously different players as well. "Bill was a marking centre half-back with a bit of flair at times and Liam's the hard-nosed defender tagger type who gets the most out of his ability. I suppose in many ways they're completely different."

But when it comes to personality and preparation, Julie Picken reckons her youngest son is more like his father than fans would realise. "They're pretty similar," Julie said. "Very intense, very determined, very focused. "Liam wouldn't talk to himself as much as what Bill did. Or what I read they said Bill did. "I watched Bill every game and I don't remember him being mad or crazy like that on the footy field.

"They're pretty deep people and they're very focused and intense, no matter what they've done in life." Picken Jnr looks more like he'd be in a band than play AFL football, with his scraggly hair and slim build.

He was even skinnier as a kid. His dad described him as "small and scrawny". But that didn't stop Picken kicking five goals to help Hamilton Magpies to a flag as a 17-year-old.

"I suppose that's one of the best things about Aussie rules, it doesn't matter what size you are, there's a spot on the field there," Liam said.

It took Picken three tries and four years at VFL side Williamstown to persuade an AFL club he was worth a shot.

After fruitless pre-seasons with Collingwood and the Bulldogs, he was eventually rookied for the 2009 season.
"I did think that (that he wouldn't play AFL), because mature-age rookies weren't about much in those days," Bill said. "I thought he's probably missed his opportunity, but Williamstown really pushed for him, put up some money (about $20,000) so he could go on the rookie list. He's played 87 games, so it's a pretty good effort."

In many ways, the initial rejection proved a positive for Picken.

He knocked over a degree in international business at RMIT and got a taste of the 9-5 working for the Department of Defence. He bulked up a bit.

"When I was 18, 19, 20, my body wasn't ready for it and I wasn't good enough to make it, so I'm glad I got the opportunity when I was older. When I got my opportunity I was able to take it," Picken said.

"There's so many young blokes that get in the system and their body's not right and they're injured for a couple of years and they get spit out straight away.

"When I was playing VFL, I started doing more weights, I got some running technique, I had some coaching from a running coach.

"I suppose getting knocked back a couple of times, it makes you more determined."

The 26-year-old is loved at the Bulldogs, much for that determination.

He's that guy who knocks up winning the weekly team player award.

Eade said Picken the younger was a great example to his teammates.

"He doesn't seek limelight and he doesn't seek leadership but certainly the way he went about it on and off the field was a great example to everyone," the former Bulldogs coach turned Collingwood coaching director said.

"On field it was just how tough he was and single-minded.

"The role you ask him to play, he'd do it to the nth degree. On top of that, the thing that stood out to me was how selfless he was. He'd be given a big job on person X but he was prepared to go and cover for his teammate, go and tackle for people rather than say, well, this is my role and I'm just going to do it.

"He was very selfless and obviously very tough mentally and tough physically."

Picken has his hands full at the moment with football, a masters in finance on the go and his son Malachy, who turns two next month, with partner Annie.

But it's set to get a whole lot busier with the pair expecting twins at the end of May. Picken says he loves being a father - and he's ready for more fun.

"It's what's thrown up at you, you've got to take it and enjoy it," he said.

w3design
17-02-2013, 09:22 PM
I hope twin boys that would be nice.

LostDoggy
17-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Much understated but I would have him first on the team sheet every week. Need more like him.
I met him on the plane after playing Adelaide in his first season, I threw superlatives at him for his portfolio of accomplishments, he still seemed happy just to be there, great example of someone who got knocked back but still gave his all.
How many games has he played? Surely will become a 200 game bulldog legends.

AndrewP6
17-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Much understated but I would have him first on the team sheet every week. Need more like him.
I met him on the plane after playing Adelaide in his first season, I threw superlatives at him for his portfolio of accomplishments, he still seemed happy just to be there, great example of someone who got knocked back but still gave his all.

87... all going well, he'll clock up 100 later this season.

jeemak
18-02-2013, 01:02 AM

I'd probably put a few ahead of him as first picked, though I take your point that he'll always give 100% for the team.

I like the fact he's humble, and has a life beyond football mapped out.

comrade
18-02-2013, 01:02 AM
Love Picko, he'd have to be one of the first picked each week.

He's made his reputation as a tagger but he's more than handy around the goals. Maybe the NAB Cup opener hinted at more game time in the forward line for Picko.

Ghost Dog
18-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Comrade, didn't see the nab game. how did he do?

jeemak
18-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Comrade, didn't see the nab game. how did he do?

Spent most of his time trying to compensate for poor delivery whilst playing out of the goal square marked by Fletcher.

He got forced wide a lot of the time on the back of the poor delivery.

I was pretty frustrated with him being played there, as he could have shut out some of Essendon's midfielders.

Hotdog60
18-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Spent most of his time trying to compensate for poor delivery whilst playing out of the goal square marked by Fletcher.

He got forced wide a lot of the time on the back of the poor delivery.

I was pretty frustrated with him being played there, as he could have shut out some of Essendon's midfielders.

Yet if the delivery to him had been spot on he would have made Fletcher look slow and the commentators would have stopped gushing over him.

Mofra
18-02-2013, 09:49 AM
He's made his reputation as a tagger but he's more than handy around the goals.
He'd rival Dahlhaus and Grant as our best small forwards if he was there permanently.
I think it was 2 years ago he kicked an absolute cracker - won his own ball and popped it through from 50m+, practically standing on the boundary line.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Close to my fav player. Hope like hell he makes 100 so it ties Malachi (vs malaka) and the offspring to the Dogs even if I may be senile by then.

Greystache
18-02-2013, 12:21 PM
He'd rival Dahlhaus and Grant as our best small forwards if he was there permanently.
I think it was 2 years ago he kicked an absolute cracker - won his own ball and popped it through from 50m+, practically standing on the boundary line.

I remember that one, it was against Fremantle at Etihad in 2010. A ripper.

bornadog
18-02-2013, 12:33 PM
This in his 8th game.

OcTu0syEIb0

I can't find it but remember he kicked a long 60 metre goal against Geelong. Maybe not in the above game but I thought it was one of his best.

comrade
18-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Oh, it was nice when we were good. :o

bornadog
18-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh, it was nice when we were good. :o

When I was looking for that Picken goal came across this:

Round 21 2009

KiIiunYXwcI

What a great game that was in front of 47,000 against Geelong at their peak.

Remi Moses
18-02-2013, 04:16 PM
When I was looking for that Picken goal came across this:

Round 21 2009

KiIiunYXwcI

What a great game that was in front of 47,000 against Geelong at their peak.

Hurts watching that

Mantis
18-02-2013, 04:27 PM

Problem over the last few years is that the job of tagger has been left to Picko who has adequately performed the task of shutting down one of the oppositions midfielders, but the rest of our mids have played too loosely which hasn't helped our cause.

GVGjr
18-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Problem over the last few years is that the job of tagger has been left to Picko who has adequately performed the task of shutting down one of the oppositions midfielders, but the rest of our mids have played too loosely which hasn't helped our cause.

Agreed. We can't have 3 Picken type midfielders but there is no reason why the likes of Boyd, Cooney and Griffen can't be more accountable.

LostDoggy
19-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Can't believe he's only played 87 games, seems like he's been part of the team for a decade.

LostDoggy
19-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Picko - love him. You know you're always getting 120% from him, never gives up, never stops trying! Imagine if we had a few more like that? :cool: