PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Lin wants back six spot

bornadog
19-02-2013, 02:30 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-02-18/lightning-lin-wants-back-six-spot)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/272427-tlsnewsportrait_zps845b1211.jpg

A cohesive back six is one of the areas senior coach Brendan McCartney is focussing on this season and rookie Lin Jong wants to secure one of those positions.

The defender is using the NAB Cup campaign as an audition to bed down a regular senior spot in 2013 and believes his speed and attack on the ball could prove the point of difference McCartney can’t ignore.

“I would love one [of those spots],” Jong said.

“I did ok in the 20 metre sprint, so they (coaches) really encouraged me to use my legs … I guess speed would have to be my biggest strength.

“At times I tried to take off with the ball – I didn’t make too many runs and plays but I did try, so I am getting there.

“[I’m] still trying to get on the senior list and improve every time I am playing.”

Jong is under no illusion of where his weaknesses lie – spending many hours over the pre-season trying to refine his kicking technique – but believes he is ready for more game time in the seniors.

“[I’m] still a bit rusty, my kicking really needs to improve again but I am still working on that and trying to take the game on more – the coaches really urged us to do that,” he said.

“I still have to understand where I am at and what I need to improve on, so I am still really working on that.”

Gaining attention for his willingness to put his body on the line in a contest, Jong was one of the main ball winners in the Bulldogs clash with Collingwood – with only Clay Smith bettering his 11 possessions in the reduced length match.

chef
19-02-2013, 02:40 PM
can't see him having a very long career unless he can dramatically improve his disposal by hand and foot.

bornadog
19-02-2013, 02:41 PM
can't see him having a very long career unless he can dramatically improve his disposal by hand and foot.

I think he showed us a lot as an 18 year old last season and he will only improve. Yes he has to work on his disposal, and its good he recognizes that.

chef
19-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I think he showed us a lot as an 18 year old last season and he will only improve. Yes he has to work on his disposal, and its good he recognizes that.

He has shown he has the courage to be a player.

bornadog
19-02-2013, 02:55 PM
He has shown he has the courage to be a player.

He has the ability to get the ball as shown with his 11 disposals in a half game. Yes he made a couple of clangers, but he is only 19.

Greystache
19-02-2013, 03:08 PM
I think nerves and the speed of the game at senior level are just as much the problem as technique. I've seen him at Williamstown, and while not an elite kick, he's not as bad as he's shown at AFL level so far. I think with game time he'll improve his disposal pretty quickly.

Greystache
19-02-2013, 03:10 PM

He can find the ball and isn't frightened to put his body on the line, that's two of the most important skills a player needs. Boyd is a terrible disposer of the ball, but has made a career out of being able to get it, Jong has this ability too with the added bonus of elite speed.

Bulldog Revolution
19-02-2013, 03:28 PM
His ability to find the ball, read the play and put his head over it, as well as gather it off the deck are impressive.

He is a newcomer to the game and rightly recognises he can improve.

I thought he had an excellent 2012 and I'm confident he can become a good senior AFL footballer.

It will take time but nothing I've seen so far has made me think he wasn't an excellent rookie selection.

A spot as a rebounding defender is a good long term role for him.

Mofra
19-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Some players do improve their disposal quite alot when the enter the system - Jobe Watson is an obvious one, and Clay Smith is already showing signs.

F'scary
19-02-2013, 05:53 PM
I like his kamikaze take-no-prisoners style.

Dazza
19-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Reminds me of Wood in a lot of ways but finds the ball a fair bit more.

DOG GOD
19-02-2013, 07:32 PM
His disposal isn't any worse than our captain. I'm a fan of the way Jong plays, so hopefully he can get on the main list in 2014 and prove himself if he can work on his weaknesses. Good luck to him.

boydogs
19-02-2013, 09:19 PM
His disposal isn't any worse than our captain.

I think it's a decision making issue, he reminded me of a Brian Lake brainfade

The Bulldogs Bite
19-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Much does depend on his ability to improve his decision making and disposal by foot.

However, he's got a lot of attributes to work with. Big body, height, elite speed, athletic, finds plenty of the ball, extremely courageous and very good in a contested situation.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him become a very good footballer, but the decision making and especially/moreso the disposal needs to improve -- particularly given where our deficiencies lay at currently.

jeemak
19-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Tend to agree TBB.

Though I think his courage is going to give him a bit of a free pass from scrutiny from a lot of our supporters over the course of his development. For some reason if a player exhibits that particular trait many others just as important tend to get overlooked.

Remi Moses
20-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Agree with the above posters.
Decision making and disposal improvements imperative for Lin.

Mantis
20-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Though I think his courage is going to give him a bit of a free pass from scrutiny from a lot of our supporters over the course of his development. For some reason if a player exhibits that particular trait many others just as important tend to get overlooked.

Crazy isn't it. It's great to be able to win the ball, but if you give it straight back you are defeating the purpose of your previous actions.

Give me a moderately courageous player with good skills over a hard-nut turn-over merchant every day of the week... and twice on Sundays.

Bulldog Joe
20-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Crazy isn't it. It's great to be able to win the ball, but if you give it straight back you are defeating the purpose of your previous actions.

Give me a moderately courageous player with good skills over a hard-nut turn-over merchant every day of the week... and twice on Sundays.

Not sure I can agree with this.

If a player is only going to go when it suits he is not going to get it very often and his skills become irrelevant.

I do agree that we still need the courageous play to be coupled with retention of possession, but you can't compromise on attack on the ball unless you are playing a purely outside role. I don't believe the purely outside role really exists in the current game and certainly not in the BMac game.

Ghost Dog
20-02-2013, 09:53 AM
He can find the ball and isn't frightened to put his body on the line, that's two of the most important skills a player needs. Boyd is a terrible disposer of the ball, but has made a career out of being able to get it, Jong has this ability too with the added bonus of elite speed.

That's fine, but if we have 3 guys like this playing at the same time, it causes a massive headache. Jong, Smith, Boyd. These three butcher the ball by foot. ( Might be tempted to add Easton Wood to the list of 'worrisome' footskills or at least decision making ...loves a good hail mary ).

edit - I stand corrected that Smith's kicking seems to have improved and in the NAB he was ok. Wait and see how it goes in the season proper.

Mofra
20-02-2013, 10:42 AM
That's fine, but if we have 3 guys like this playing at the same time, it causes a massive headache. Jong, Smith, Boyd. These three butcher the ball by foot. ( Might be tempted to add Easton Wood to the list of 'worrisome' footskills or at least decision making ...loves a good hail mary )
Smiths' issue seemed to me to be entirely based on his ball drop rather than his action itself - I think his issue is a little more "fixable" than others (others noted his action during training and the NAB cup is alot better. Jones' action seemed to have imporved as well).

I'd rank them as Boyd wont improve, Smith probably will, Jong might.

The Underdog
20-02-2013, 11:51 AM

So now you're a Nathan Eagleton fan? :D

boydogs
20-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Not sure I can agree with this.

If a player is only going to go when it suits he is not going to get it very often and his skills become irrelevant.

I do agree that we still need the courageous play to be coupled with retention of possession, but you can't compromise on attack on the ball unless you are playing a purely outside role. I don't believe the purely outside role really exists in the current game and certainly not in the BMac game.

It's a decision making thing, a ruckman doesn't take a bounce and pinpoint a 50m pass, they hand it off to the players with the ability to pull it off.

So now you're a Nathan Eagleton fan? :D

Lol :p

immortalmike
20-02-2013, 05:02 PM

You must have been a big fan of Nathan Eagleton then...wait a minute!

Seriously though. I'm a big fan of Lin, he's got all the tools just needs to make better decisions with the ball in hand. I think he'll get there and when he does watch out we may have a cult hero on our hands.

w3design
20-02-2013, 05:14 PM
No player comes into the game with a perfect ten on all skill sets. Every player has weaknesses in their game. Technique stuff can be taught and improved on. Surely that is what all these coaching staff are there for. Game awareness should come with experience. However, you can not teach courage, a fighting spirit, or determination. I would prefer to start out with a player who has those attributes, rather than a silky skilled one who does not.

One you can coach and improve, the other is a case of what you see is all you get.

I don't know if Lin will make it at the top level or not, I hope he does. But I am pretty impressed with the positives he brings to the table, and think he is off to a very good start.

The improvement rate he demonstrated last season going from novice in the Willy reserves to a number of senior games with the Dogs would be remarkable for a kid who had played the game all his life, let alone a comparative novice.

bornadog
20-02-2013, 05:31 PM
nNp8FS2Ecqs

24 touches

bornadog
20-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Enjoy:D

DjpYr5l-Qig

Translated:

I am the Strength of Men We do strong pillars of our step-by-step to do a good job chest Han I heat with 100 points out of 1000 by Edward To be a good man Intestinal blood hot hot More light than the sun Let the sea and the sky for me Poly energy
 To making the ideal for me to make their fortune See blue high-Zhuang To see clear blue sky and bright young noble spirit I am the Strength of Men

Face waves million arrogance Blood as the red sun Iron gall bone, such as stainless steel may Zhangting minded vision of thousands of miles long I work hard to do a good job Han A day to be a good man to self-improvement Han blood man more light than the sun Let the sea and the sky for me Poly energy To making the ideal for me to make their fortune See blue high-Zhuang To see clear blue sky and bright young noble spirit

Go_Dogs
20-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Much does depend on his ability to improve his decision making and disposal by foot.

However, he's got a lot of attributes to work with. Big body, height, elite speed, athletic, finds plenty of the ball, extremely courageous and very good in a contested situation.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him become a very good footballer, but the decision making and especially/moreso the disposal needs to improve -- particularly given where our deficiencies lay at currently.

Agree with all that.

There was one contest on Friday when he get in very low and hard, won the ball and then very quickly recovered his feet and got away from the contest - it was almost Griff circa 2005/6 off half back like. To be a defender he's going to need to make significant improvements to his disposal and decision making but he seems driven to keep working on it.

I like him, hope he continues to improve and makes it.

Maddog37
20-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Enjoy:D

DjpYr5l-Qig

Translated:

I am the Strength of Men We do strong pillars of our step-by-step to do a good job chest Han I heat with 100 points out of 1000 by Edward To be a good man Intestinal blood hot hot More light than the sun Let the sea and the sky for me Poly energy
 To making the ideal for me to make their fortune See blue high-Zhuang To see clear blue sky and bright young noble spirit I am the Strength of Men

Face waves million arrogance Blood as the red sun Iron gall bone, such as stainless steel may Zhangting minded vision of thousands of miles long I work hard to do a good job Han A day to be a good man to self-improvement Han blood man more light than the sun Let the sea and the sky for me Poly energy To making the ideal for me to make their fortune See blue high-Zhuang To see clear blue sky and bright young noble spirit

My thoughts exactly!

OLD SCRAGGer
20-02-2013, 06:56 PM

Croosy has made a fair career with us, why can't Lin do the same?????

Mofra
21-02-2013, 09:49 AM

I'm so sick of these football cliches...

bornadog
21-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Nice one:D:D

Ghost Dog
21-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Croosy has made a fair career with us, why can't Lin do the same?????

If Jong gets anywhere near the level of Daniel 'Croos' I'll be very hapy.

westdog54
21-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Early nomination for post of the year.