PDA

View Full Version : Inside Football This Week

Twodogs
21-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I was at the news agents leafing through Inside Footy today when I found a three page interview with Kelvin Templeton.

It's a great interview with David Rhys-Jones. Containing lots of in depth details about the Great Man's career that I didnt know. For instance a couple of weeks after Footscray told Templeton that we were going to sign him Hawthorn had a land survey done to try and prove that Kelvin lived inside their zone-he was living less than a mile inside our zone!

I cant find a copy of the interview online so get down to the newsagents.

F'scary
21-02-2013, 06:05 PM
What would you do if Templeton came to Hawthorn?

Hotdog60
21-02-2013, 11:57 PM

We would have been none the wiser. We would have thought the Hawks had got a very good player from their zone.

KT31
22-02-2013, 09:37 AM

I would have had to select a different avatar and user name.
DH7 doesn't have the same ring to it.:)

bornadog
22-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I would have had to select a different avatar and user name.
DH7 doesn't have the same ring to it.:)

You could have gone with SB18:p

craigsahibee
22-02-2013, 12:11 PM
you could have gone with sb18:p

sl2. ;)

Twodogs
22-02-2013, 01:06 PM
sl2. ;)

Hehe. Pinhead. How good was he for a few weeks in 1980?

bornadog
09-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Inside Football magazine shuts down after 47 years
Scott Gullan, Herald Sun
March 9, 2018 12:34pm

ANOTHER AFL institution has bitten the dust with Inside Football magazine quietly shutting down this week.

The weekly magazine has been part of the football landscape since 1971 with some of the biggest names in the game writing for it over the journey.

It was a star-studded cast from the start led by Mr Football Ted Whitten who was the magazine’s longest serving columnist while other high profile writers included Mal Brown, John Nicholls, Des Tuddenham, Kevin Murray, Doug Wade and Sam Kekovich.

The magazine proved to be a breeding ground for journalists with some of the greats of the industry, including former Herald Sun doyens Mike Sheahan, Scot Palmer, Geoff Poulter, Daryl Timms and Tony De Bolfo, all delivering stories for the publication.

The shape and look of Inside Football has changed dramatically over time and its most recent home has been under the SEN banner where it attempted to build an online presence.

However, it struggled for traction which meant it was always going to be in the gun given the widespread changes at SEN under the new regimen lead by Crocmedia’s Craig Hutchison.

Long-time editor Russell Holmesby, who is also St Kilda’s historian, was made redundant at the end of 2016 and his replacement Brett Anderson departed earlier this year to take up a job in recruiting.

The final ever issue, which ironically was an extensive preview of the coming AFL season, came out last week.

Templeton31
09-03-2018, 04:31 PM
Thanks for posting Bornadog. I wasn't going to renew my subscription but certainly won't now! A good mag with some good titbits but it lost me when it went monthly and really the internet killed it.

bornadog
09-03-2018, 04:37 PM
Thanks for posting Bornadog. I wasn't going to renew my subscription but certainly won't now! A good mag with some good titbits but it lost me when it went monthly and really the internet killed it.

When I worked in Taiwan in the 1990s (for 5 years), I had a subscription and it would actually get to me weekly and kept me up to date with footy, but yes you are right, the Internet has killed it.

Twodogs
09-03-2018, 04:47 PM
First thing I thought when I saw was "the Internet killed it" I reckon an online version of IF might have legs though. There aren't many magazine type footy websites and most of those are satirical.

bornadog
09-03-2018, 04:50 PM
First thing I thought when I saw was "the Internet killed it" I reckon an online version of IF might have legs though. There aren't many magazine type footy websites and most of those are satirical.

Rohan Connoly's is not bad: http://www.footyology.com.au/

GVGjr
09-03-2018, 08:43 PM
I had a subscription for the next 18 months. Might have to have a look into this

Go_Dogs
09-03-2018, 08:46 PM
I wasn't an avid reader, but purchased it at airports whenever travelling interstate and the draft edition is always a must read.

Shame to see it disappear.