PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken

GVGjr
24-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Given he was used as a defensive forward in the first round of the NAB Cup what role will Liam play for us this season?

Eastdog
24-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Given he was used as a defensive forward in the first round of the NAB Cup what role will Liam play for us this season?

He puts in a lot of effort an example for some of our players to follow. Tagger or should the tagging be shared around and not on just one player.

Greystache
24-02-2013, 09:50 PM
I've always liked the idea of Picken playing forward, he's good overhead, smart around goal, and will actually be accountable to his direct opponent. I'd like to see us develop or recruit another run with player to free up Liam.

Eastdog
24-02-2013, 09:56 PM
I've always liked the idea of Picken playing forward, he's good overhead, smart around goal, and will actually be accountable to his direct opponent. I'd like to see us develop or recruit another run with player to free up Liam.

Who would you say would be our main tagger this season. It will have to be someone who just keeps running.

Dry Rot
24-02-2013, 09:59 PM

+1.

Yep, he knows where the goals are.

Ghost Dog
24-02-2013, 10:14 PM
+1.

Yep, he knows where the goals are.

At least you know he'll run both ways.

F'scary
24-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Picken = number 1 tagger. Dahlhaus = number 2 tagger. That's where the value is.

Eastdog
24-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Picken = number 1 tagger. Dahlhaus = number 2 tagger. That's where the value is.

Hard to argue with.

Cyberdoggie
24-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Not sure i'd use our most exciting player in Dahlhaus as a tagger but i agree that Liam Picken needs a new role. I think he has more ability than just being a tagger. He has shown at times when not heavilly tagging that he can get a bit of the ball and kick the odd goal because he's not afraid to run in straight lines and have a shot from around 50.

Perhaps one of our several young players who are struggling with their skills might be candidates for a tagging role. Lin Jong could be one of those players in the future. Has great closing speed and will learn a bit about the game on a good player.
Clay Smith is another who could be used temporarily as an option.

I'm sure Picken will improve all around if we give him some different challenges occasionally.

SlimPickens
24-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Who would you say would be our main tagger this season. It will have to be someone who just keeps running.

How about Matthew Boyd he used to be fairly proficient at negating his opponent.

SlimPickens
24-02-2013, 11:07 PM
I would like Picken to spend more time as a forward, if he can stop the influence of the oppositions defender play makers and also hit the scoreboard I see this as a win win.

bornadog
24-02-2013, 11:12 PM
I think he will continue to tag the best opposition midfielder and maybe on occassions play forward.

AndrewP6
24-02-2013, 11:17 PM
How about Matthew Boyd he used to be fairly proficient at negating his opponent.

He'd have to do a 180 in his game style. No way.

Ghost Dog
24-02-2013, 11:57 PM
I like the idea of giving a tagging role to one of our youngsters. Invaluable experience.

Eastdog
25-02-2013, 12:08 AM
I like the idea of giving a tagging role to one of our youngsters. Invaluable experience.

How about someone like Tory Dickson.

Ghost Dog
25-02-2013, 12:09 AM
How about someone like Tory Dickson.

He's one of the best kicks for goal in the side. And not sure about his endurance. I'm thinking Mitch Wallis, or even Libba.

Eastdog
25-02-2013, 12:21 AM
He's one of the best kicks for goal in the side. And not sure about his endurance. I'm thinking Mitch Wallis, or even Libba.

Yeah Libba and Wallis could be good.

Ghost Dog
25-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Yeah Libba and Wallis could be good.

Besides Dickson, any other ideas? I guess the issue of having a younger player do it, is it could harm their development. Lower I guess, ideal.

always right
25-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Thye would only be able to match up on certain players i.e. those with no pace. I would have thought Cross would be better suited for these types of players if we are looking for a suitable matchup. Imagine Libba tagging someone like Rioli or Jetta:eek:

Picken has enough pace (and attitude) to tag players like Harvey and Murphy which is why he usually gets the gig. If we are looking for players of similar pace and stamina, I guess a smart player like Lower might be an option, Jong would be ideal (albeit inexperienced) and perhaps Tutt, although he would need to develop a harder edge.

Mofra
25-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Besides Dickson, any other ideas? I guess the issue of having a younger player do it, is it could harm their development. Lower I guess, ideal.
Lower is the player I thought of first.

Either way it seems Picken or Addison will get the defensive forward type role this year - we'll play one in that role every week.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Lower is the player I thought of first.

Either way it seems Picken or Addison will get the defensive forward type role this year - we'll play one in that role every week.

Lower is a solid suggestion, but I wonder if Jong might be a better option if he's fit enough? Certainly has the pace and the appetite for the defensive stuff and could be a way to lessen the impact of his disposal at this stage rather than him coming off half back.

He'd need a bit of work on his positioning around stoppages and that sort of thing though, which if he hasn't spent time on it over the pre-season (and it doesn't appear he has) it might not be a possibility right now.

On a whole, we need more defensive accountability across the whole midfield, which may in itself allow Picken more time forward if everyone is doing their bit.

Will look forward to seeing how Picken is used this year, good player.

As an aside, Ward mentioned Picken as the toughest guy he'd played with in an interview Sunday during the GWS game.

Greystache
25-02-2013, 07:34 PM
I wouldn't mind us looking at Wood as a tagging option too. He's stagnated the last 2 seasons, and I'm still not sure if he's trying to be a lock down defender or a rebounding half back. He has size, athleticism, and is quite good one on one.

Go_Dogs
25-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't mind us looking at Wood as a tagging option too. He's stagnated the last 2 seasons, and I'm still not sure if he's trying to be a lock down defender or a rebounding half back. He has size, athleticism, and is quite good one on one.

Nice suggestion, hadn't thought of Wood but merit in that one too. He's a big, powerful body so would possibly unsettle a few players also.

w3design
25-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Thye would only be able to match up on certain players i.e. those with no pace. I would have thought Cross would be better suited for these types of players if we are looking for a suitable matchup. Imagine Libba tagging someone like Rioli or Jetta:eek:

Picken has enough pace (and attitude) to tag players like Harvey and Murphy which is why he usually gets the gig. If we are looking for players of similar pace and stamina, I guess a smart player like Lower might be an option, Jong would be ideal (albeit inexperienced) and perhaps Tutt, although he would need to develop a harder edge.

While I realise he is still on the rooky list, for mine Jong is the best option. Yes he has limited experience [ particularly in the role] though he did spend some time at Willy in that role last year. But how better for him to learn his craft, and learn where to run and when, than following Judd, Murphy and Ablett etc around for a season or two.
He has pace, strength and courage, and disposal skills are not the essential first ingredient for a tagger anyway. A couple of seasons under his belt as a tagger, while he improves both his reading of the game, and his disposal skills could just be the making of this kid.

jeemak
25-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Happy for Picken to be used as a defensive forward in the silly stuff and from time to time through the season, though when the real stuff starts I want him in the middle or wherever the oppositions most creative player is, and shutting him down.

I can see the merrit in playing somebody like Lower, Jong or Dahl as more defensive minded midfielders as well to boulster their experience and keep the opposition midfield in check. If that means that Picken gets more time as a forward and brings some accountability that's OK, though I'm not sure what he would bring to the position in terms of creativity.

Yes, I've seen him kick a few handy goals when in the forward half but for the most part (and this is across the entire ground, to a point as well) I haven't seen him be a creative player. To be honest, I couldn't see him being too much of a handful for a competent defender.

I think he is an excellent player for what he is, which for mine is a versatile shut down player and overall tough bastard. We'll see how the preseason pans out I suppose.

Ghost Dog
25-02-2013, 10:34 PM
While I realise he is still on the rooky list, for mine Jong is the best option. Yes he has limited experience [ particularly in the role] though he did spend some time at Willy in that role last year. But how better for him to learn his craft, and learn where to run and when, than following Judd, Murphy and Ablett etc around for a season or two.
He has pace, strength and courage, and disposal skills are not the essential first ingredient for a tagger anyway. A couple of seasons under his belt as a tagger, while he improves both his reading of the game, and his disposal skills could just be the making of this kid.

You might be on to something. On one hand, I'm not sure he has the mongrel. On the other, he shows very little emotion when he plays and I think this can be a big advantage for a tagger. Nothing much seems to phase him.

Mofra
26-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Lower is a solid suggestion, but I wonder if Jong might be a better option if he's fit enough? Certainly has the pace and the appetite for the defensive stuff and could be a way to lessen the impact of his disposal at this stage rather than him coming off half back.
Jong is certainly worthy of consideration, but what is his tank like? He's only had one year in the system and players tend to need a couple of years to build their tank - Clay Smith* was one of the top draftees in the beep test but went into a "full body cramp" just prior to 3/4 time in his first game.

* Pretty pleased I managed to get Clay Smith into another post :cool:

stefoid
26-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Why are we so obsessed with tagging? How about everyone in the team just does a decent job defensively and offensively?

Dal is one of our best playmakers and people want him to tag?

Mofra
26-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Why are we so obsessed with tagging?
Because this thread is about Liam Picken, who forced his way into the team as a tagger.
He has other attributes that mean he could play other roles, but before Picken's role really changes we'd need someone to step into his role either on an ad hoc or a full time basis (ie Wallis tagged Sam Mitchell for a game IIRC).

stefoid
26-02-2013, 03:51 PM
So every team needs a dedicated tagger then?

The Bulldogs Bite
26-02-2013, 04:30 PM
So every team needs a dedicated tagger then?

I think they do, particularly when the majority of midfielders aren't as accountable as they should be.

w3design
26-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Why are we so obsessed with tagging? How about everyone in the team just does a decent job defensively and offensively?

Dal is one of our best playmakers and people want him to tag?

Agreed Stef., I would only have Dal go into a tagging role as a way of shaking off a tag of his own.
And yes, I think in modern footy every side does need at least one dedicated tagger, to stop an opponent who is/will tear you apart.
I agree, as I am pretty sure B.Mac does that every player needs to play accountable football on his own opponent, but there are some guys who are just so destructive and talented they require constant and in their pockets type attention if they are not to destroy you.
That is not to say you want players who's only skill is to negate. Picken is an ideal player that way. If let loose from the requirement to tag, he is capable of being very effective offensively, a bit like late career Libba Sen.

stefoid
26-02-2013, 09:15 PM
The problem Ive always had with hard tags is that if the tag does well, you break even - both players have little effect on the game. If the tag is beaten you, you lose that position badly - its like being a man down.

And the truly elite players are truly elite because they beat tags week in, week out. So you dont bother to tag those guys anyway.

If Picken could do the type of job he does, and contribute something offensively at the same time, then Im all for it, otherwise I see it as a bit of a defeatist move, like stacking the backline to restrict how much you lose by.

lemmon
26-02-2013, 09:42 PM
You might be on to something. On one hand, I'm not sure he has the mongrel. On the other, he shows very little emotion when he plays and I think this can be a big advantage for a tagger. Nothing much seems to phase him.

Doesn't have the mongrel? Some of his work backing into packs was inspirational

w3design
26-02-2013, 10:05 PM
The problem Ive always had with hard tags is that if the tag does well, you break even - both players have little effect on the game. If the tag is beaten you, you lose that position badly - its like being a man down.

And the truly elite players are truly elite because they beat tags week in, week out. So you dont bother to tag those guys anyway.

If Picken could do the type of job he does, and contribute something offensively at the same time, then Im all for it, otherwise I see it as a bit of a defeatist move, like stacking the backline to restrict how much you lose by.

So are you suggesting that sides allow the Judds, Swans and Abletts of this world to simply run rampant unopposed [ basically], and simply hope our guys can contribute their equal in output ?

Boy if so, good luck with that one. I doubt you find a single coach in the league who will agree with that proposition.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Doesn't have the mongrel? Some of his work backing into packs was inspirational

I mean the ability to harrass and annoy the sh** out of Judd or Swan or whoever. Get in their head.

Like this. Who's that little pest pointing the finger? Isn't he too short to play footy?? ^_^

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/04/30/1226343/078387-tony-liberatore.jpg

Link (http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/taggers-stained-by-dirty-work/story-fn6ck6i3-1226343081616) good article on art of tagging. And in the article, it does argue that the Brett Kirks and Cameron Lings never needed to be a bit down and dirty. So maybe Jong can be like them.

soupman
27-02-2013, 08:34 AM
And in the article, it does argue that the Brett Kirks and Cameron Lings never needed to be a bit down and dirty. So maybe Jong can be like them.

Yeah, in Lings case he just spent the entire match holding onto Cooney's jumper. And for some reason he never got picked up on it by the umpires.

stefoid
01-03-2013, 01:26 AM
So are you suggesting that sides allow the Judds, Swans and Abletts of this world to simply run rampant unopposed [ basically], and simply hope our guys can contribute their equal in output ?

Boy if so, good luck with that one. I doubt you find a single coach in the league who will agree with that proposition.

Yes, Im saying any opposition player who doesnt receive a hard tag is allowed to run rampant. :rolleyes: those being the only two possibilities.

Just play a decent payer on them who will defend when necessary and attack when they can - not a hard tag. You wont stop those guys in their tracks. The best way to keep them honest is to make them defend their opponent also.

LostDoggy
13-05-2013, 10:45 AM
So I’m interested in other people opinions of Liam:

For mine he's becoming a liability. I'll explain.

This season he's played a relatively new area of the field. He's played a shut down tagging role basically since he's been at the club, but usually not as deep in defence as this season.

His ball usage is average, and down back it's more critical than any other position to get your disposal right imo. He regularly goes to ground, and if the contest isn't won, then this creates pressure for our other defenders and opens up the attacking team. You'd only have to ask that poor goal umpire that suffered the knee injury his opinion of Liams desperate, yet needless lunge agains Freo.

With Lower doing well as a run with tagger through the middle (Pickens former role) perhaps his area should be down in a forward pocket where he's shown he has some goal nous in previous seasons.

If it's not there then I think his bow strings are beginning to be run out.

In my household he's known as the snot-nosed school kid. Reson being he throws himself around like a hyperactive primary school kid would on the footy oval at lunch during winter. You'd imagine his mothers delight when he walks through the door, torn school jumper, blood nose, mud all over him, grin from ear to ear.

Thoughts?

SlimPickens
13-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Tend to agree.

When watching the game on Saturday, the comment went out "geez, Picken has become a liability". His disposal has always been suspect to the point that he was the most ineffective (in terms of disposals) midfielder in the competition last year.

He seems to have lost his way particularly around the contest, the amount of times he either lost Harvey or let him get into a dangerous postion on the weekend is very concerning.

Not sure what we do with him as I still think he has plenty to offer but if he keeps serving up these types of performances I can't see how he stays in the side.

bornadog
13-05-2013, 12:05 PM
I would swap his role with Addison. if you are going to play Addison at all, lets stick him back in the backline and get Picken as a defensive forward who has also shown he can snap a goal.

Mantis
13-05-2013, 12:34 PM
I would swap his role with Addison. if you are going to play Addison at all, lets stick him back in the backline and get Picken as a defensive forward who has also shown he can snap a goal.

Addison is playing forward because he failed as a defender... It can't see this move working.

But I do agree that Picken needs a 'sea change'.

soupman
13-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Why move Addison when he is finally playing a role where he adds value to the side?

bornadog
13-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Why move Addison when he is finally playing a role where he adds value to the side?

Does he? I haven't seen it. Laid two tackles on the weekend.

jeemak
13-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Picken only laid two tackles as well. :D

Addison to this point has shown he can kick goals and provide a lead up target as a forward. When referencing Picken's forward prospects most seem to refer to a few snaps he's kicked over his career and the potential for him to put defensive pressure on opposition defenders.

There's going to have to be a point where we develop some young players who can specifically play as forwards rather than hiding average and or limited players in the forward line.

EasternWest
13-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Addison to this point has shown he can kick goals and provide a lead up target as a forward. When referencing Picken's forward prospects most seem to refer to a few snaps he's kicked over his career and the potential for him to put defensive pressure on opposition defenders.

There's going to have to be a point where we develop some young players who can specifically play as forwards rather than hiding average and or limited players in the forward line.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to sway people on Addison.

Some people just have their minds made up. It's not necessarily a criticism, I am the same when it comes to some players too. I just don't waste my time posting about it, because there's no point spinning in the same circle again and again.

bornadog
13-05-2013, 02:18 PM

Where do you think Picken should play then?

lemmon
13-05-2013, 02:23 PM

Surely he takes Ablett this week and Lower goes elsewhere, perhaps half back? Can't see Nick having the run to go with him. What we have is a very good outside tagger in Picken and a very good inside tagger in Lower, their roles will have to be managed based on matchups.

Just a thought for the future, how about Picken as sub? Is an explosive runner and can play in all 3 areas of the ground so brings that versatility

jeemak
13-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Apart from shutting down midfielders I don't know if long term I see many options for him.

He has played a couple of good games as a defender this year, though unfortunately if there's not a clear option for him to give it to he becomes a liabilty with his usage. Perhaps as our defensive six and midfield become more organised it will mitigate the risk in that area of his game.

I can see in principle why people might want to try him forward, but the truth is being productive in that area of the ground is bloody hard work and takes a lot of smarts, especially when your team isn't supplying you with a decent volume of quality ball. He's not got elite pace, though he has the potential to be elite defensively in that area. I just don't know if he's got the smarts to be dangerous consistently or creativity to be a forward, and I don't think there'd be a lot of defenders in the competition who would be too concerned about him getting off the leash or hurting them in a marking contest.

Without seeing him play forward though, it's hard to be 100% about it.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Personally, I think Picken is on borrowed time.

bornadog
13-05-2013, 04:14 PM

Washed up at 27 years old:confused:

Sedat
13-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Interesting. As a tagger, he had a set role and did everything possible to nullify his opponent and benefit the team - more often than not he was very successful. I don't think he's unfixable but I do agree he needs a more suitable role than small defender. I still haven't heard a sound rationale for not having 2 run-with roles in the midfield. As mentioned by others, Picken excels with the outside mids and Lower is developing an impressive list of inside mid scalps - why should both roles be mutually exclusive?

stefoid
13-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Interesting. As a tagger, he had a set role and did everything possible to nullify his opponent and benefit the team - more often than not he was very successful. I don't think he's unfixable but I do agree he needs a more suitable role than small defender. I still haven't heard a sound rationale for not having 2 run-with roles in the midfield. As mentioned by others, Picken excels with the outside mids and Lower is developing an impressive list of inside mid scalps - why should both roles be mutually exclusive?

I would be happy without any hard tags - everybody attacks, everybody defends. Running both Picken and Lower in the midfield at the same time would just make lack of spread and footskills even worse. With the caveat that we havent got anyone ready to take their places in the side right at this moment.

jeemak
14-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I would be happy without any hard tags - everybody attacks, everybody defends. Running both Picken and Lower in the midfield at the same time would just make lack of spread and footskills even worse. With the caveat that we havent got anyone ready to take their places in the side right at this moment.

Another way of looking at it would be our deplorable defensive spread being improved by having another person responsible for curtailing the oppositions midfielders.

While we're good at winning contests and clearing the ball, it's within the contests and clearances we don't win where we are badly hurt due to the complete lack of accountability and smarts at stoppages. We're absolute bunnies for the opposition to take advantage of on the spread when we don't win the ball.

From a midfielder development perspective, adding Picken to the mix for his defensive attributes might be short sighted, but from an overall competitive perspective in the short term we'll probably be in front.

Having said that, I agree with you that the overall goal of our midfield should be to compete both ways in equal measures, but if anything is evident from our performances this year it's that we're not there yet, and getting there will take time.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Washed up at 27 years old:confused:

Unless he's reinvented, I don't see a position in the side for Picken longer term.

He's one of the worst disposers of the ball in the league, makes average decisions and cannot and should not play in the back half.

His only proven role is as a midfield tagger, but Lower has taken that spot (for inside mids mind you) and I can't see us playing two of them in there.

I would like to see him tried up forward.

Agree with you Sedat, although as I said above I can't see us shaping our midfield with two taggers. The sentiment is that it probably robs us of ball winning ability, rightly or wrongly. His decision making/disposal can still be very costly when playing midfield too.

I think he could be a good defensive forward. If he can't nail that, I don't see a position in the side for him.

Remi Moses
14-05-2013, 12:52 AM
So I’m interested in other people opinions of Liam:

For mine he's becoming a liability. I'll explain.

This season he's played a relatively new area of the field. He's played a shut down tagging role basically since he's been at the club, but usually not as deep in defence as this season.

His ball usage is average, and down back it's more critical than any other position to get your disposal right imo. He regularly goes to ground, and if the contest isn't won, then this creates pressure for our other defenders and opens up the attacking team. You'd only have to ask that poor goal umpire that suffered the knee injury his opinion of Liams desperate, yet needless lunge agains Freo.

With Lower doing well as a run with tagger through the middle (Pickens former role) perhaps his area should be down in a forward pocket where he's shown he has some goal nous in previous seasons.

If it's not there then I think his bow strings are beginning to be run out.

In my household he's known as the snot-nosed school kid. Reson being he throws himself around like a hyperactive primary school kid would on the footy oval at lunch during winter. You'd imagine his mothers delight when he walks through the door, torn school jumper, blood nose, mud all over him, grin from ear to ear.

Thoughts?
Been thinking the same thing.
Do we need so many negating types?

jeemak
14-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Unless he's reinvented, I don't see a position in the side for Picken longer term.

He's one of the worst disposers of the ball in the league, makes average decisions and cannot and should not play in the back half.

His only proven role is as a midfield tagger, but Lower has taken that spot (for inside mids mind you) and I can't see us playing two of them in there.

I would like to see him tried up forward.

Agree with you Sedat, although as I said above I can't see us shaping our midfield with two taggers. The sentiment is that it probably robs us of ball winning ability, rightly or wrongly. His decision making/disposal can still be very costly when playing midfield too.

I think he could be a good defensive forward. If he can't nail that, I don't see a position in the side for him.

TBB, what have you seen of Liam that makes you think he'll make a competent forward?

I don't see any value in putting him up there, when all he's shown to this point, other than one or two good games as a defender is competence in the midfield as a tagger. If he's struggling to be a defender, I don't see how he can add value in the hardest positions to play in the modern game, which are small to medium sized forward roles.

stefoid
14-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Another way of looking at it would be our deplorable defensive spread being improved by having another person responsible for curtailing the oppositions midfielders.

While we're good at winning contests and clearing the ball, it's within the contests and clearances we don't win where we are badly hurt due to the complete lack of accountability and smarts at stoppages. We're absolute bunnies for the opposition to take advantage of on the spread when we don't win the ball.

I dont think that true. Our main problem is we give the ball back so promptly. When you turn the ball over you will get caught on the hop defensively and you have to transition from attack mode to defend mode all over again. The constant cycle of winning the ball, turning it over then chasing tail to defend again must be very, very tiring.

Hard tags arent going to help us maintain possession.

jeemak
14-05-2013, 10:48 AM
I dont think that true. Our main problem is we give the ball back so promptly. When you turn the ball over you will get caught on the hop defensively and you have to transition from attack mode to defend mode all over again. The constant cycle of winning the ball, turning it over then chasing tail to defend again must be very, very tiring.

Hard tags arent going to help us maintain possession.

Reasonable point, though I think we've some midfielders that don't defend as well as they might.

Cyberdoggie
14-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Does he? I haven't seen it. Laid two tackles on the weekend.

And one of those he was so slow to move i think my grandma would of been faster, still can't believe the north player took so long.

I just think he wonders around aimlessly, he goes to ground too often and his 2nd efforts, recovery and agility are pretty ordinary.

It's like he has one aggressive move to try and tackle someone, then by the time he gets up off the ground the ball is either long gone or he has missed opportunities to follow up.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-05-2013, 04:07 PM
TBB, what have you seen of Liam that makes you think he'll make a competent forward?

I don't see any value in putting him up there, when all he's shown to this point, other than one or two good games as a defender is competence in the midfield as a tagger. If he's struggling to be a defender, I don't see how he can add value in the hardest positions to play in the modern game, which are small to medium sized forward roles.

You very well could be right jeemak.

I've seen him play bits and pieces in the forward half, such as the first half on Goddard in the 2010 PF. I think he kicked two to half time, was later shifted to another player (Hayes?) and Goddard subsequently ran riot in the third. I recall him kicking a few goals on Deledio too, although this was probably more of a 'drifting forward' than actually lining up there.

In any case he is very good overhead, a decent shot for goal and can apply good defensive pressure. Perhaps an upgrade on Addison in the same role.

If he can't add value there, though, it's very difficult to find a spot for him. It doesn't help we've recruited the likes of Smith, Stevens and Lower in the last two years.

w3design
14-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Boy guys, I some times find myself wondering..... is their anybody on our playing list, or match committee that does not get poster molested on here?

Would be nice to see a little more positivity from time to time.

What if we were to spend more time, not blindly optimistic, but perhaps a little more creativity on our part.

You know, what do players have to offer the side, and what more could they bring to the team if their talents were better utilised?

By the way, I am not excluding myself from this little slap on the wrist, I have been as guilty of negativity from time to time as anyone.

But surely in tough times for our beloved club, positive contributions from our supporter base would be more helpful than joining with the media and opposition supporters in decrying our own.

hujsh
31-03-2016, 01:21 PM
I recently thought back on how we recruited Picken and found it amazing to think that without the arrangement with Williamstown that such a good player might not only not have come to our club but may have missed out on AFL all together. It's also amazing to think back at how we weren't using the full rookie list and imagine the players we may have missed.

Of our current vets all of Picken, Boyd and Morris were rookies IIRC.

So lets take a moment to thank the fates that we did get Picken and marvel at what he's become.

F'scary
31-03-2016, 01:53 PM
I recently thought back on how we recruited Picken and found it amazing to think that without the arrangement with Williamstown that such a good player might not only not have come to our club but may have missed out on AFL all together. It's also amazing to think back at how we weren't using the full rookie list and imagine the players we may have missed.

Of our current vets all of Picken, Boyd and Morris were rookies IIRC.

So lets take a moment to thank the fates that we did get Picken and marvel at what he's become.

That's where we were before Gordon came back and pumped $$$ in.

jeemak
31-03-2016, 02:19 PM
It looks like I'll be having roast words for din dins...........:)

Liam's gone to a level I didn't think was possible of him as an accumulating midfielder and I'm stoked for him. He is confident and creative and it's a credit to him. While I still don't think permanent positional roles at either end of the ground are suited to him, he's certainly well suited to our current style of play in which almost everyone's a midfielder.

F'scary
31-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Picken shares a characteristic that we are now stocking up well on compared to 4 years ago: medium size players who, in addition to knowing where the ball is and knowing how to dispose of it, know how to take a contested mark. Others include Jong, Stevens, Hunter, McLean, Dickson, Webb, Dunkley even Dahlhaus has improved remarkably since his first season in this area.

This characteristic makes them useful on the forward line.

merantau
03-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Liam Picken is a very good footballer - don't you worry about that. He is a ferocious tackler and in his new attacking role he is showing us a whole new bag of tricks. Who would've thought he could jump over tall buildings? Last night's leap into the upper atmosphere had my jaw paddling around on the Axminister.

bornadog
03-04-2016, 01:46 PM
I thought Liam was almost BOG last night, he was everywhere, both in and under and outside. Gee wish he had of held on to the mark.

Smads57
03-04-2016, 10:46 PM
I thought Liam was almost BOG last night, he was everywhere, both in and under and outside. Gee wish he had of held on to the mark.

So do we all!

Twodogs
04-04-2016, 07:59 AM

That mark would have done Billy proud.

Twodogs
04-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Having watched Liam blossom from a lock down small defender I wonder how many other of our seemingly one dimensional players have hidden talent in other areas?

Could Dale Morris with his leap and courage possibly be an All Australian ruckman instead? Maybe we should gave Wil Minson an extended run on the wing? We will never know unless we have a go.

F'scary
04-04-2016, 08:58 AM

He was in my votes.

westdog54
04-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Having watched Liam blossom from a lock down small defender I wonder how many other of our seemingly one dimensional players have hidden talent in other areas?

Could Dale Morris with his leap and courage possibly be an All Australian ruckman instead? Maybe we should gave Wil Minson an extended run on the wing? We will never know unless we have a go.

Having spent most of my night coughing up a lung I needed that laugh. Thanks TD.

EasternWest
04-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Liam Picken is a very good footballer - don't you worry about that. He is a ferocious tackler and in his new attacking role he is showing us a whole new bag of tricks. Who would've thought he could jump over tall buildings? Last night's leap into the upper atmosphere had my jaw paddling around on the Axminister.

It surprises me a lot of people are saying this. He's not Jeremy Howe (thank god) but he's always been able to get up.

Ozza
04-04-2016, 03:01 PM
It surprises me a lot of people are saying this. He's not Jeremy Howe (thank god) but he's always been able to get up.

Has got the genes for it.

craigsahibee
04-04-2016, 03:09 PM
Even if he had taken that mark, he would have held the title of the best mark not to win mark of the week.

Did you catch Hoskin-Elliott's mark at Canberra yesterday. Phenomenal.

Twodogs
04-04-2016, 04:36 PM
Has got the genes for it.

Here comes Billy!

merantau
06-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Billy would have been very proud of his son's leap and even prouder of his game. I am sure Liam is a coach's dream. An ever evolving footballer who always gives his all and can play a number of roles. Great value for the team.

bornadog
16-05-2016, 01:14 PM
What a great game he played yesterday, two goals, 30 disposals 6 inside 50's. This bloke never gives up, is tough as nails and gives his all. He is overshadowed by our other midfielders, but I bet he is first picked every week by the MC.

Ozza
16-05-2016, 01:16 PM
What a great game he played yesterday, two goals, 30 disposals 6 inside 50's. This bloke never gives up, is tough as nails and gives his all. He is overshadowed by our other midfielders, but I bet he is first picked every week by the MC.

Good call.
He also had 12 score involvements, which was a match high.
Just continues to perform well week in week out - he never lets us down.

josie
16-05-2016, 03:02 PM
My fave player. So hard at it and pretty damn skilful without frills. I saw him at VFL match about 3 weeks ago with his lovely children. He also happens to be a great Dad from what I could see, patient and fun. He and Dahl to me epitomise the Bulldog spirit. Oh, Libber too. And Wally....So excited by the team and our coach. Love Ya Picken!!

jeemak
16-05-2016, 03:05 PM
He played a really good game yesterday. He made me throw a little tantrum with the missed target to Liberatore in the second quarter that resulted in the latter taking the legs of an opponent, but aside from that I was really happy with the way he played.

I continue to be amazed at how well he's rounded his game.

whythelongface
16-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Picken has certainly blossomed under the current coaching team. Whereas previously he was a lock down type player, he is now a very accomplished all round player.

As BAD mentioned he would be the first player picked each week (among a few others). It really seems to be that we have this vast list of players that just have an outstanding work ethic.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Had he nailed a few set shots in other games, his stocks would be a bit higher. As it is, has been dangerous in all parts of the ground, and I am loving being able to hang it on my mates who for years have been telling me he belongs in the VFL.

Twodogs
16-05-2016, 06:01 PM
Another Son of a Gun. Just not one of our guns.

merantau
16-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Gotta love Liam. 100%er. Nevar say die. No guts, no glory. Winners nevar quit ... Pick your sporting aphorism - they all apply to Liam.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Gotta love Liam. 100%er. Nevar say die. No guts, no glory. Winners nevar quit ... Pick your sporting aphorism - they all apply to Liam.

Well, on the wall at Hamilton Footy club, it used to say "A winner never quits and a quitter never wins!" Sums our man up nicely.

Dancin' Douggy
16-05-2016, 09:16 PM
And now we have stolen the Picken gene pool. Mwahaha

Twodogs
16-05-2016, 09:26 PM
And now we have stolen the Picken gene pool. Mwahaha

You'd be annoyed as a Collingwood supporter. You could handle a dour lock down type playing at another club as a Son Of but as each season goes by and Liam becomes a better and better player you'd be thinking you'd really let a good one slip away.

Mofra
20-05-2016, 10:14 AM
You'd be annoyed as a Collingwood supporter. You could handle a dour lock down type playing at another club as a Son Of but as each season goes by and Liam becomes a better and better player you'd be thinking you'd really let a good one slip away.
James Stewart developing nicely at GWS, while their own list falls in a heap.
You have to wonder what's going on there and just how much off-field value a quiet, hard working dedicated type like Liam would have helped their list.

Twodogs
20-05-2016, 11:44 AM
James Stewart developing nicely at GWS, while their own list falls in a heap.
You have to wonder what's going on there and just how much off-field value a quiet, hard working dedicated type like Liam would have helped their list.

Stewart could well be a star. I don't know what collingwood were thinking letting him slip.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Liam turns 30 in two months and is still playing good footy. His body has taken a beating his whole career such is willingness to do and take the hard things. How many years does Liam have left?

jeemak
04-06-2016, 03:08 PM
It's interesting that Liam's biggest threat will be if we obtain an outside runner and gun user of the footy in this year's trade period, such has his transformation been.

He's the type of player that will keep his standard until retirement, unless his pace drops right off or injuries catch up with him.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2016, 03:12 PM
It's interesting that Liam's biggest threat will be if we obtain an outside runner and gun user of the footy in this year's trade period, such has his transformation been.

He's the type of player that will keep his standard until retirement, unless his pace drops right off or injuries catch up with him.

I hadn't thought of that. Does he get traded if that circumstance occurs?

jeemak
04-06-2016, 03:25 PM
I hadn't thought of that. Does he get traded if that circumstance occurs?

I think we'd keep him as back up if he wanted to stay and there wasn't interest from other clubs. A new draftee with those attributes won't threaten his position though, due to his age and them needing to take a couple of years to mature. I could see a club like GCS being interested in his services if we were to try and poach one of their runners.

People wouldn't be happy about it, you know, "no way we'd trade Liam, I reckon he'd be in the first 22 or so players Bevo would pick every week"..........because he always gives his all and goes hard at it etc.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2016, 03:36 PM
I think we'd keep him as back up if he wanted to stay and there wasn't interest from other clubs. A new draftee with those attributes won't threaten his position though, due to his age and them needing to take a couple of years to mature. I could see a club like GCS being interested in his services if we were to try and poach one of their runners.

People wouldn't be happy about it, you know, "no way we'd trade Liam, I reckon he'd be in the first 22 or so players Bevo would pick every week"..........because he always gives his all and goes hard at it etc.

I like Picken. That would actually be a win-win as they could very well do with a heart & soul player to see what you need to do to will yourself to win. Provided we actually got the player we want be it Lynch or Prestia. I can't see us getting Jeager with the flood of huge offers he will get. Equally, keeping Picken is fine too although he becomes a single year re-contracted player for mine.

jeemak
04-06-2016, 03:42 PM
I should point out that if we were to keep him and brought in a runner and good user type, it wouldn't mean Picken automatically loses his spot. He'd fight tooth and nail for it, and be a better than fair chance of keeping it.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2016, 03:45 PM
I should point out that if we were to keep him and brought in a runner and good user type, it wouldn't mean Picken automatically loses his spot. He'd fight tooth and nail for it, and be a better than fair chance of keeping it.

I think he's been played in every non KPP spot (inc. ruck) on the ground in his career and is still playing good footy.

F'scary
04-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Liam turns 30 in two months and is still playing good footy. His body has taken a beating his whole career such is willingness to do and take the hard things. How many years does Liam have left?

I would think 2 years after this one should not be a problem.

S Coast Simon
05-06-2016, 01:46 AM
Would think Liam would be in the first ten players picked every week can't see him going anywhere. You can't teach that sort of commitment it comes with the genes.

jeemak
05-06-2016, 02:01 AM

Would think Liam would be in the first ten players picked every week can't see him going anywhere. You can't teach that sort of commitment it comes with the genes.

It didn't take as long as I thought it would.

merantau
06-06-2016, 12:49 AM
Liam Picken will play out his career with us. His form will not desert him. Like a good wine he will ..?

always right
06-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Until the last 12 months there has always been a pre-season thread questioning whether Picken will be squeezed out of the line-up....and every year he proves everyone wrong.

bornadog
06-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Until the last 12 months there has always been a pre-season thread questioning whether Picken will be squeezed out of the line-up....and every year he proves everyone wrong.

So true. I think that means he is underrated by our supporters. The guy gives 110% every game and has been rejuvenated under Bevo in a role he is meant to play in.

LostDoggy
06-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Agree with Picken playing out with us and generally being underrated. I can see him playing a year or 2 in a Matty Boyd type role at the end of his career.

Ozza
06-06-2016, 11:30 AM

I spoke to him for a bit at the club a couple of weeks back. Said he was feeling well each week and recovering well.

I imagine he might be a bit sorer than usual this week with the hit he took in the last couple of minutes.

soupman
06-06-2016, 11:31 AM
So true. I think that means he is underrated by our supporters. The guy gives 110% every game and has been rejuvenated under Bevo in a role he is meant to play in.
Absolutely. He has always been appreciated by supporters, his type of player usually is. I'd be surprised if anyone anticipated him being this good an attacking threat once freed of the lockdown roles though.

GVGjr
06-06-2016, 06:55 PM

I can't put a time stamp on him for the reasons you highlight. Until his form drops off markedly I can't see him being squeezed out.
He might also do a Matthew Boyd and reinvent himself as a defender again.

Ghost Dog
31-07-2016, 01:32 PM
Great goal saving tackle V the Cats. Very good effort not to give away a free. Been a good contributor in games where we have been slightly out-bodied. Outnumbered, Liam will usually draw even. Needs to score more!

westdog54
31-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Great goal saving tackle V the Cats. Very good effort not to give away a free. Been a good contributor in games where we have been slightly out-bodied. Outnumbered, Liam will usually draw even. Needs to score more!

It was George Gregan-esque and the commentators quite rightly made a big deal out of it.

Although I really started to tire of the "they haven't stopped trying" narrative they ran with in the last, they were right in that we never dropped or bundle and really threw ourselves into every contest, and Liam's tackle was the embodiment of that.

bornadog
22-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Liam is in top form at the moment and filling in holes everywhere for Bevo. How good has he been over the past two weeks.

merantau
22-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Liam is the sort of player that we love. I bracket him with the likes of Charlie Evans, Gary Merrington, Dennis Collins, Les Bamblett, Robert Gronewegon, Terry Wheeler, Stephen Power, Steve Kretiuk, Gordon Casey, Steve Kolyniuk, Bluey Hampshire, Bruce Duperouzel, Peter Foster, Chris Hansen, Charlie Pagnoccolo, Angelo Petraglia, Glen Coleman and the list goes on. Some of these guys had long careers, some short, some were rejects, some just wanted a fresh start; some had limited ability. But they all had one thing in common: a fierce desire to win that drovr them to give their all no matter what the state of the game. Liam Picken is a stand-out in this regard. When he retires he will leave big boots to fill - an all-time crowd favourite.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Liam is in top form at the moment and filling in holes everywhere for Bevo. How good has he been over the past two weeks.

This year. He's just about had every role a player his size can get, and has done it really well. Last week Sidebottom learned the hard way what Boomer has had for 10 years, and 16 contested possessions while racking up over 30 is the other extreme. He will end up a 200-250 game player at the club which speaks volumes for him. From memory Williamstown paid the $50,000 rookie salary, I think we owe then a big sloppy kiss but we getting close to reciprocation now giving them Sherman & Ayce.

LostDoggy
22-08-2016, 07:57 PM
No doubt our injuries have created greater opportunity for Liam in terms of prominent midfield roles and he has grabbed them with both hands. Is destined to go down as a Bulldog great with plenty of good years left.

Eastdog
22-08-2016, 09:30 PM
Liam Picken = 100% pretty each week.

Will be great as well to get Dale Morris back. Our veterans Morris, Picken, Boyd have all been really good this season.

Twodogs
22-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Picken has been fantastic this year. Would be pretty high up in the B&F this year.

boydogs
22-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Thought he was BOG on Sunday. He would be close to our best 1 on 1 player

Mofra
23-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Thought he was BOG on Sunday. He would be close to our best 1 on 1 player
Dale Morris would be my nominee as our best 1 on 1 player. Bonti second. Libba up there too.

bornadog
23-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Picken has been fantastic this year. Would be pretty high up in the B&F this year.

Love to see him win it.

Bulldog Revolution
23-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Love to see him win it.

Even a top three finish would be a great reward for one of the most determined bulldogs ever

Twodogs
23-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Love to see him win it.

I was going to say leading the B&F but then I remembered the Bont.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2016, 03:19 PM
I was going to say leading the B&F but then I remembered the Bont.

As good as Picken has been, I think the Bont has the Sutton well and truly parcelled away.

Twodogs
23-08-2016, 03:31 PM
As good as Picken has been, I think the Bont has the Sutton well and truly parcelled away.

Yep. I should say that Picken would be leading the pack forming to come second to the Bont in the Sutton medal.

Jeanette54
23-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Liam is the sort of player that we love. I bracket him with the likes of Charlie Evans (chop) - an all-time crowd favourite.

Now there is a name from the past..... :) One of a long line of great back pocket players to play for the 'Dogs.

craigsahibee
23-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Liam was a standout on Sunday. He is just so consistent. There is not a lot of variation in his output. Would be a very close second to Bont in the B&F.

Prince Imperial
23-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Will be fighting it out for second place with Hunter, I would think. Boyd, who has only missed two games, likely to be up there too.

MrMahatma
23-08-2016, 10:10 PM
Will be fighting it out for second place with Hunter, I would think. Boyd, who has only missed two games, likely to be up there too.

Hunter wouldn't be in my top 7 or 8.

Liam is a gun. Would love him to reprise the tagged role full time over finals.

bornadog
23-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Hunter wouldn't be in my top 7 or 8.

Liam is a gun. Would love him to reprise the tagged role full time over finals.

Hunter will get better and better. He is still 21 and he is a ball accumulator averaging 29 disposals a game.

LostDoggy
24-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Fun random fact; Liam Picken has worn No.42 the 2nd most of any player in VFL/AFL history. The only player who has worn it in more games is Robert Walls.

Bob Murphy is 2nd on the all time list of No.2's, behind only Walls' teammate John Nicholls.

1eyedog
24-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Fun random fact; Liam Picken has worn No.42 the 2nd most of any player in VFL/AFL history. The only player who has worn it in more games is Robert Walls.

Bob Murphy is 2nd on the all time list of No.2's, behind only Walls' teammate John Nicholls.

How do you think this stuff up to look this stuff up?

choconmientay
11-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Liam Picken soaking up premiership glory after an epic final thirty minutes of football in Grand Final
ELIZA SEWELL, Herald Sun October 1, 2016 8:39pm

LINK (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/liam-picken-soaking-up-premiership-glory-after-an-epic-final-thirty-minutes-of-football-in-grand-final/news-story/fae62a48f5f5f35d870d73d1ea0e73e6)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/3c3b8a4537bef41512abc70352ef4053?width=650
Liam Picken celebrates one of his goals. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

LIAM Picken knew the equation at three-quarter time was simple.

“Thirty minutes of pain for a lifetime of enjoyment,” the hard as nails, now premiership player told himself.

And so, like he has done through the Western Bulldogs entire finals campaign, the reinvented former tagger stepped up and inspired his side to a momentous victory.

It started with a monster tackle on Sydney defender Dane Rampe and while there was no score as a reward, it set the tone.

“It got me into the game,” Picken said.

“I thought I’d had a quiet third quarter ... just in the last quarter, I knew it was 30 minutes to go, that’s all it needed to win a premiership.”

With 12 minutes to go, reminiscent of his dad Billy, the Collingwood legend and finals king, Picken flew, floated and held a screamer.

“I just knew I had to take the mark,” Picken said.

“It was important on the forward flank, I knew it was a key moment, I needed to take the mark for the side.”

Not long after he then found a way to goal after minutes of desperate Dogs’ forward scramble. Picken picked it up clean and was straight in front. The score gave his side a seven-point lead.

“I couldn’t believe it in the last quarter,” he said.

“The ball came a couple of times to me and teammates found me, it was bloody amazing.”

He kicked the sealer off a Jake Stringer delivery adding to his second quarter snap, where he scored after a one-two and overhead handball from Lachie Hunter to finish with three for the match.

“It was a bit of a blur the last quarter,” he said.

“But I knew that 30 minutes of pain and it was there.”

Picken said he was feeling both elated and relieved.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/73d244205d1301296c22ff418076323f?width=650
Liam Picken soaks up the Grand Final win with his family. Picture: David Caird

“I’m just trying to soak it all in,” he said.

“Enjoy it, make sure these memories stay with me forever.

“We’ve worked so hard. I probably didn’t expect this to happen a couple of years ago, but it makes it even more enjoyable.

“The last couple of minutes we knew we were going to win, it was quite enjoyable to suck it all in.

“You’ve just got to remember this for the rest of your life. To share it with my teammates, we relied on each other, (there was) so much heart from the boys.

“It’s one side that’s just come together really close, we knew that we could do it.”

choconmientay
11-11-2016, 12:26 PM
Premiership hero Liam Picken has been quick to thank those who made his AFL dream a reality
MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun October 2, 2016 7:19pm

LINK (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/premiership-hero-liam-picken-has-been-quick-to-thank-those-who-made-his-afl-dream-a-reality/news-story/4eca9659948bfd145f682fb854514deb)

MICK Malthouse always had a nagging feeling about Liam Picken.

For four years the son of Magpies great Billy Picken sat under Collingwood’s nose at the club’s VFL affiliate, Williamstown.

“I remember having a conversation with Mick Malthouse at the end of 2007 and he said to me: ‘This kid Picken, he does a lot right doesn’t he? He’s just a bit scrappy’,” former Williamstown coach Brad Gotch recalled.

“He was thinking about it, he could see something in him, but because of the fact that he did make a few errors with the ball and he looked a bit untidy, they couldn’t see him going through.”

Collingwood’s trash became the Western Bulldogs treasure when the Dogs took over the Williamstown alignment in 2008.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d4766c27563330dbd30e073c2d39fcf6?width=650
Liam Picken joins Jackson Macrae, Josh Dunkley and Toby McLean in celebration after the final siren.

But the Bulldogs were flat broke and Picken’s move to the Whitten Oval only became possible after Williamstown offered to stump up $20,000 towards his AFL rookie contract.

Greater Western Sydney coach Leon Cameron — then the Dogs’ midfield coach — was among those who pushed for Picken to get a crack at the highest level.

“We knew he was really competitive and that he could take a mark, so we thought, well why don’t we go there?” Cameron told the Herald Sun.

“He was tough and hard, and an outstanding competitor, and we’ve probably just seen that come to the fore over the past month.

“He just kept on persisting, and he’s got better and better and better.”

Long-time Williamstown chief executive Brendan Curry recruited Picken from Hamilton at the end of 2004.

He’d managed a few games for the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup but was considered too scrawny and unskilled.

Picken started out in the VFL reserves and fought his way into the seniors, claiming the best and fairest in 2008.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/91250230a049482c6129ec30e30de52d?width=650
Premiership star Liam Picken with his wife and kids after the final siren. Picture: David Caird

“We were probably a bit frustrated that none of the VFL-listed boys were being drafted,” Curry said.

“There were VFL players playing alongside AFL players and often the VFL players were better.

“In Liam’s first or second senior game Nathan Buckley was coming back from a bad hamstring injury and we played out at Box Hill and there were about 8000 people there.

“It was really hyped-up and Liam took a big screaming mark late in the last quarter and kicked the winning goal.”

Curry said he laughed when he recently heard a high-ranking Magpies official claim on radio that they were unable to secure Picken’s services ahead of the Bulldogs.

“The reason they couldn’t get him was because they didn’t pick him,” Curry quipped.

“He was right under their noses.

“We really believed in Pickers and so I came up with the idea that we’d pay $20,000 to the Bulldogs on the proviso that they pick him.”

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/e7c80b70bcc13de90854d5e1d807f827?width=650
Peter Gordon with players Tom Boyd, Liam Picken and Joel Hamling. Picture: David Caird

Picken, 30, fired off a text message to Curry after last week’s epic victory over the GWS and thanked him for his role in helping him reach the Grand Final.

“Gotchy was always pushing for me and Cuzz was amazing,” Picken said.

“I’m ever thankful to them for giving me the chance to play AFL football and it ends with a premiership.

“Williamstown was a fantastic club and I had a close group of mates down there. It seems so long ago but we were so close and we got to play against AFL footballers.

“You sort of knew you had the ability, you just needed the opportunity.”

As for being overlooked by Collingwood, Picken said: “They did ... but how good has it worked out? Going through the hard times down there and working my way up has made it even more special.”

Picken was unlucky to miss out on a Norm Smith Medal and was again in the votes as the club’s premiership celebrations at an inner-city bar spilled into the early hours of Sunday.

“He’s just a really great country kid with a never-say-die attitude and to be the player of the finals series is just rewards, I reckon,” Cameron said.

Despite his own team being bundled out by the Dogs juggernaut in the preliminary final, Cameron said he was happy for his old club.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/ff691bcf76baa0d3813f0692fe38d961?width=650
Liam Picken shows off his trademark toughness during the Grand Final. Picture: Getty Images

“I was there 18 years as a player and a coach and it was fantastic to see Liam Picken, Dale Morris, Matthew Boyd and Easton Wood, all those guys you had something to do with just to name a few, to deliver what they’ve delivered,” he said.

“I’m just shattered it wasn’t us ... but in terms of what that club has been through ... it’s just a magnificent story.”

Gotch said he wasn’t surprised by Picken’s matchwinning performance.

“He’s unbelievable in his mindset and his mental strength. I’m so proud of him,” he said.

“You never doubted that he would give 100 per cent — he was just that kind of guy.

“He would play his role for the team and when you needed him he’d stand up and do something special.”

choconmientay
11-11-2016, 03:09 PM
My screen-saver of the best player of the 2016 final series.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/l0zoPPTvODr8JD8N7tavcgVTpYmayPH3tMDUSt45rwQlSY5A6MY5kzIpeToU keHSWBXINYwmGNcMFj8E2IPX9upI7jFMQ1WQQUpxOo1mY-yFB_U7jWXT0YQeczJvN_V_lY3zh-MfKgE9WzxGJmGo7P-uqQ7bqeWpoU2RGV4_-IwibTuBkGuG7cD9SGUQvQGcfGvHsDsYQZ_A1Kfr9OADElunAZ3vOUBNFqZO0 w4OcXhvdrR7L7MvmdBk0ohOVBEjjMgokWTl6gz0DCVzs3VxdzcU_Qp6eFdg8 5dTjAUtyAi3NJzgSJA5odqgLTjZQDWgTmyQNl8S73dSdMCQI2BXmFffE7dHU tvoOakI4hTvSP44RTm7TU49uTNqGO5Fz-5NLqcElPoSkZCT26ipGWjtssCQf4QPstuYoStXYyIYjMRPSnQ8hgSlsmQRv6 1xYrLzcZ9PEzsXc6XXX_B_l-SDzfgQKexAZIDZV0fTGdJ7dfo9-LgORzOA6S7dQR3h8wmo13tEflZdG9uuk4grqOR4E-vw2khDydTcjthfzwxrkIQzwf8PZAIMx_RbR3jG0DGZLDOb1qintxYMbNloSE XHCxIw-2Di1VC5q2_9WdjKAIfGFHH6=s916-no

LINK (https://goo.gl/photos/T9vwRkcJ3rXMWbWB7)

choconmientay
09-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Nice story here about Picken's six-year old son. How proud would he be having his dad's medal for "Show & Tell" :)

'Best day of show and tell ever!': Western Bulldog's six-year-old son takes his father's AFL premiership medal to school (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3822629/Western-Bulldogs-star-Liam-Picken-brings-AFL-premiership-medal-son-s-tell-day-school.html)

The son of Western Bulldogs star Liam Picken impressed his kinder friends
Malachy Picken brought his dad's AFL premiership medal to show and tell
The 6-year-old couldn't hide the grin from his face as he posed for a photo
His mother, Melbourne mummy blogger Annie Nolan, uploaded the snap

The son of Western Bulldogs star Liam Picken upstaged his kindergarten classmates by bringing in his father's AFL premiership medal to a 'Show and Tell' day at school.

Malachy Picken, who turned six earlier this year, had a grin from ear to ear as he posed for a photograph next to his dad with the gold medal dangling from his neck.

His mother, popular Melbourne mummy blogger Annie Nolan, proudly uploaded the snap across her social media accounts on Wednesday morning.

The caption read: 'Malachy's best day of 'Show & Tell' at kinder everrrrrrrrr!'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/05/05/391CFFB400000578-3822629-image-a-4_1475641032961.jpg
Western Bulldogs star Liam Picken and his six-year-old son Malachy went to a 'Show and Tell' day at school with his AFL premiership medal

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/05/05/391CFFA600000578-3822629-image-a-12_1475641104615.jpg

It's not the first time that Malachy, 6, has had the honour of slinging the premiership medal over his neck (pictured in bed with his twin sisters and parents the morning after the win)

Ms Nolan also explained to a friend that Malachy and his two sisters were confused why their father spent Monday resting after a weekend of celebrations.

'He relaxed most of yesterday and went to bed at 6pm last night. The kids were very confused why Dad was asleep before their bedtime,' she said.

Liam Picken was instrumental in the Western Bulldogs historic win over the Sydney Swans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday, topping the field with three goals and 25 disposals.

It's not the first time little Malachy has had the honour of slinging the premiership medal around his neck.

Early on Sunday morning, the day after the grand final win, Ms Nolan uploaded a snap in bed with Malachy proudly showing off the medal besides his sleeping father.

'We woke up like this (except Liam who is get to wake up, of course),' she wrote.

bornadog
30-01-2017, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gr8rz28sz8

LostDoggy
30-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Not sure what Swans player it is when Picko takes his hanger,but i can't get enough of seeing him drop his head when he sees Picko hold onto it.
Pure Gold.
It's like it's an exasperated-"These guys are killing us!!!"

1eyedog
30-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Nick Smith

Picko has gone from earnest trier to an exciting dasher in 2 years ever since Bevo cut the chain.

LostDoggy
30-01-2017, 10:49 PM
Nick Smith

Picko has gone from earnest trier to an exciting dasher in 2 years ever since Bevo cut the chain.

And gave Picko a big can of Whoop Ass to spray wherever on the field he goes ;)

1eyedog
30-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Would love a can of that stuff. Would go alright at the clubs and pubs.

Twodogs
30-01-2017, 11:09 PM
I think you can only get it at the footy.

LostDoggy
07-02-2017, 05:17 PM
I think you can only get it at the footy.

Steve Austin still has a couple of kegs.

bornadog
07-02-2017, 06:31 PM
One of my favourite pics

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/15965797_10154915369828234_393459180611269846_n_zpss6muo9of. jpg?t=1486362681

bulldogtragic
07-02-2017, 06:39 PM
You know how you can really tell how excited we were, more so these guys. No not the screaming, not the facial expressions, nor arm raising.

There's not one single person, not one, trying to protect themselves from getting a possible footy to the face. Hence the age old saying is answered, 'Would you take the risk of a footy forcefully kicked into your face, or a premiership?'

Dry Rot
07-02-2017, 06:57 PM
IMO Picken was close to the best player across the finals series.

bornadog
23-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Liam kicked 17 goals in 2016, 8 of those in the finals. The most goals he has kicked in a year during his career.

2016 Highlights, with some ripper goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x9zpF5_UTA

bulldogtragic
07-03-2017, 01:18 PM
He's 31 in August this year. Recently we've only been offering guys 31+ years old one year extensions. With his white hot form, career best form, in the finals last year should we offer him two years or stick to the unofficial policy of offering one year to Liam?

1eyedog
07-03-2017, 01:30 PM
He's 31 in August this year. Recently we've only been offering guys 31+ years old one year extensions. With his white hot form, career best form, in the finals last year should we offer him two years or stick to the unofficial policy of offering one year to Liam?

Two years. He's too loyal to go elsewhere but I'd just like to make sure of it.

merantau
07-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Liam kicked 17 goals in 2016, 8 of those in the finals. The most goals he has kicked in a year during his career.

2016 Highlights, with some ripper goals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x9zpF5_UTA

What a player!

Twodogs
08-03-2017, 08:57 PM
He's got some tricks. I love the goal off the outside of his right boot in the GF.

Bulldog Revolution
09-03-2017, 09:37 PM
He's got some tricks. I love the goal off the outside of his right boot in the GF.

Every bulldog has always loved Liam Picken but when you watch those highlights back to back you think to yourself "gee he's a gun - have even i been underrating him?"

Eastdog
09-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Every bulldog has always loved Liam Picken but when you watch those highlights back to back you think to yourself "gee he's a gun - have even i been underrating him?"

Tonight once again was cracking in.

1eyedog
09-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Picken from behind, Picken from behind. The smallest of the threesome! I'm going to miss Cometti.

jeemak
09-03-2017, 10:04 PM

Do I count as a Bulldog?

I really didn't think what Picken brought to the table prior to Bevo coming to the club was enough, but he's proved me wrong. He's an excellent player.

merantau
11-03-2017, 06:36 PM
What a player. He got us started against the Cokes. He was so good in that game. Only plays one way: pedal to the metal. Was great against Hawthorn, smashed in against the plastics and did some really vital things. And in the big one he was BEYOND EPIC. A Bulldog Legend for sure. If he never does anything else in football, rest assured, his legacy is written in stone and etched in the minds of all who were fortunate enough to witness his finals series.

Eastdog
11-03-2017, 06:41 PM
What a player. He got us started against the Cokes. He was so good in that game. Only plays one way: pedal to the metal. Was great against Hawthorn, smashed in against the plastics and did some really vital things. And in the big one he was BEYOND EPIC. A Bulldog Legend for sure. If he never does anything else in football, rest assured, his legacy is written in stone and etched in the minds of all who were fortunate enough to witness his finals series.

So right merantau. I may repeat myself a lot about Picko but it's just to emphasise his significance to our footy club.

Smads57
11-03-2017, 11:46 PM
He's been my favourite player for years (ever since he signed my cap around 6 years ago!)

bulldogtragic
12-03-2017, 10:49 AM
So he's uncontracted at the end of the year. He will be 31 and our list management policy seems to be only offering only one year extensions passed 30. Does he get two years with his career best form, or one as per the policy applied Bob, Boyd, Dale & Gia etc. ?

KT31
12-03-2017, 11:20 AM
So he's uncontracted at the end of the year. He will be 31 and our list management policy seems to be only offering only one year extensions passed 30. Does he get two years with his career best form, or one as per the policy applied Bob, Boyd, Dale & Gia etc. ?

I still think one year, lots of niggles and aches can quickly escalate when over 30.
One year is the safer and smarter option and keeps with precedence.

GVGjr
12-03-2017, 12:53 PM

By mid season we will know if it's a one or two year contract that should be put in front of him.
I'd say right now I'd offer him a 2 year deal with some stipulations for the 2nd season around incentives on games played

bulldogtragic
12-03-2017, 01:07 PM
I still think one year, lots of niggles and aches can quickly escalate when over 30.
One year is the safer and smarter option and keeps with precedence.

By mid season we will know if it's a one or two year contract that should be put in front of him.
I'd say right now I'd offer him a 2 year deal with some stipulations for the 2nd season around incentives on games played

Precedence is important, I think an argument could be made that we had a Minno a year longer, admittedly that was a different deal. But as we start to get players from this generation approaching 30, if it's the cultural norm at the club that 30+ only get 1 year extensions then we shouldn't have any issues offering one year extensions in the future. With his current rise in output though, and free agent status (and probability he could get more cash), I'd imagine he'd want two years without conditions. It's an interesting case as if we are telling him/his manager 1 year or 2 years with conditions, and if he's not happy with that, then we effectively allow other clubs to pitch free agency indicative offers to his manager. As per Daniel Wells last year when North's unconditional 2 year offer came in too late.

I'm split each way, as I think he deserves 2 years, but one year extensions weren't an issue for Bob, Boyd, Dale or Gia recently. And creating an understanding in the club about this stance/rule is a good thing longer term. I also wonder if a club like GCS would offer him a fair bit more cash because of his ability to play midfield, tag and play forward.

GVGjr
12-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Precedence is important, I think an argument could be made that we had a Minno a year longer, admittedly that was a different deal. But as we start to get players from this generation approaching 30, if it's the cultural norm at the club that 30+ only get 1 year extensions then we shouldn't have any issues offering one year extensions in the future. With his current rise in output though, and free agent status (and probability he could get more cash), I'd imagine he'd want two years without conditions. It's an interesting case as if we are telling him/his manager 1 year or 2 years with conditions, and if he's not happy with that, then we effectively allow other clubs to pitch free agency indicative offers to his manager. As per Daniel Wells last year when North's unconditional 2 year offer came in too late.

I'm split each way, as I think he deserves 2 years, but one year extensions weren't an issue for Bob, Boyd, Dale or Gia recently. And creating an understanding in the club about this stance/rule is a good thing longer term. I also wonder if a club like GCS would offer him a fair bit more cash because of his ability to play midfield, tag and play forward.

I'm not too concerned about it either was but to me precedence is just a consideration but I'm not sure it's that important. Have our players felt slighted because the now 30yo Travis Cloke has a two year deal or do they understand he's priced himself into that type of position?

I think players are now realistic enough to know that once a contract expires when they are in their 30's clubs are going to try and offer them minimal deals but in tenure and from a financial perspective.

Picken will most likely be offered a one year deal but come mid season and if his form is good enough I wouldn't be too concerned if we put a 2 year deal in front of him.

boydogs
12-03-2017, 03:00 PM
If it was this year + next I would do 2, but at the end of the year he will be 31 and we're yet to see how he performs in 2017. He would have to have an end to the year similar to last year's to demand another 2 IMO

Ozza
14-03-2017, 06:18 PM
Absolutely love Picko, and so have all of his coaches it would seem.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but since he debuted in round 2, 2009, I don't believe he has ever been dropped - he has only ever missed due to injury or suspension. He's been marvellously consistent and is undersold as an athlete.

Having said all this, we have set the 1 year precedent with the likes of Boyd, Bob and Morris - so I see no good enough reason to not stick to that again.

always right
14-03-2017, 07:28 PM
He's been a warrior. Year after year posters on this board had him out of our best 22 prior to each year commencing......only to be proven wrong time and time again. Likely to get two years unless the wheels fall off.

Bulldog Revolution
15-03-2017, 11:51 AM
I'm not too concerned about it either was but to me precedence is just a consideration but I'm not sure it's that important. Have our players felt slighted because the now 30yo Travis Cloke has a two year deal or do they understand he's priced himself into that type of position?

I think players are now realistic enough to know that once a contract expires when they are in their 30's clubs are going to try and offer them minimal deals but in tenure and from a financial perspective.

Picken will most likely be offered a one year deal but come mid season and if his form is good enough I wouldn't be too concerned if we put a 2 year deal in front of him.

I wouldn't be concerned either - Bevo recognises and values what the senior players bring to the table and Picken fits comfortably in the lineage of bulldog leaders - Murphy, Boyd, Morris, gia, cross, Johnson, smith, Darcy, grant, west, S Wallis - all who get the most out of their ability

bulldogtragic
02-04-2017, 12:52 PM
Liam has started pretty well, and as an unrestricted free agent may get some good offers from clubs devoid of grunt, class and leadership. How many good performances do we need before offering him the two years he's probably wanting?

1eyedog
02-04-2017, 12:53 PM
I'd definitely give him two now he deserves it.

ledge
02-04-2017, 03:14 PM
I would give him 3 and front load it even if he did fall away a little in his last year imagine what he can teach the young ones coming up, And by then he is on a low wage.

comrade
07-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Man, what a journey this bloke has had! Reading through the first few pages of this thread, it was genuinely being debated whether he was good enough to take Dylan Addison's role as a defensive forward.

EasternWest
09-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Man, what a journey this bloke has had! Reading through the first few pages of this thread, it was genuinely being debated whether he was good enough to take Dylan Addison's role as a defensive forward.

As if that's a debate worth having - of course Addison was better.

Doc26
09-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Next to Bont he's our 2nd best player right now. Difficult to think of an area of his game now that he doesn't excel in.

1eyedog
09-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Humans first, sportspeople second. Hoping Picko is ok concussions can potentially have far greater repercussions than missing the rest of the game or the following week. Sometimes pics can say a 1000 words.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSny36LDazr/

Twodogs
09-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Humans first, sportspeople second. Hoping Picko is ok concussions can potentially have far greater repercussions than missing the rest of the game or the following week. Sometimes pics can say a 1000 words.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSny36LDazr/

Breaks my heart. Poor kid, it can't be good to see that happen to dad on telly hear all the boof head opinions from the commentary team and try and deal with the thought process at that age.

Stefcep
09-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Love this guys fearlessness, but I do wonder regarding his long term well being. Over the years we've all seen him take bigger hits and higher hits than most players will in their career. I hope none of that leaves any lasting effects.

SonofScray
09-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Surprised there wasn't any suggestion of a penalty for the Freo player. Left the ground, barging through, elbow to the head, knee to the head on the way down. Purely incidental and in the context of winning a loose ball but that doesn't seem to matter at all in amongst all the hysteria of the head being sacrosanct.

Other than that I thought the umpire was poor in discharging his duty of care by allowing play to continue on top of a player out cold for as long as he did.

Eastdog
09-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Picko is tough as nails. When I saw him out cold like that on the ground it did not look good but I sort of knew that he'd get up again.

bulldogtragic
18-04-2017, 07:58 PM
Signed a two year deal!!!!!!!! :D

bulldogtragic
18-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Western Bulldogs midfielder Liam Picken has signed a two-year deal that will see him remain at the Club to at least the end of 2019.

The re-signing is off the back of arguably Picken’s best season in 2016, where he averaged 22 disposals and was named the Bulldogs’ best finals player.

Bulldogs List Manager Jason McCartney said the Club was delighted to have Picken commit for a further two years, particularly considering his outstanding form of late.

“Liam has been a reliable player and great teammate for such a long time with his attack on the footy and toughness.

“It’s also been great to see him complement these attributes with the growth in the offensive side to his game over the past couple of years.

“His consistency in work rate, attitude and professionalism has enabled Liam to perform very well in big games, evident throughout the 2016 finals series.”

Picken said he looked forward to remaining at the kennel for another two years.

“I was more than happy to re-sign, hopefully we’ve got some more exciting times coming up, it was an easy decision.”

Picken was the 30th selection in the 2009 rookie draft as a mature-aged recruit, he has played 180 career games.

GVGjr
18-04-2017, 08:11 PM
While some players should be restricted to one year deals once they turn 30 Liam Picken is an exception. I think we've done the right thing for the player and the club.

1eyedog
18-04-2017, 08:16 PM
He's earnt a two year deal and then some. Will never have to buy a beer at a pub when he retires.

bulldogtragic
18-04-2017, 08:17 PM
"It was an easy decision"

You'd like to think others thought it was "easy".

merantau
18-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Great news. Liam is a much loved player. He is so "never say die", so "bring it on" so "all or nothing", so adept at wringing every last cliche out of me! No, seriously Liam is just a fantastic footballer. He gifted us an epic finals series.We are forever in his debt. Supporters love him.

LostDoggy
18-04-2017, 08:53 PM
"It was an easy decision"

You'd like to think others thought it was "easy".

If only it was that simple :rolleyes:

Great news for Liam and the club, I love the way he goes about it.

LostDoggy
18-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Fantastic news.

ledge
18-04-2017, 08:57 PM
JJ next .. After Ablett of course :-)

Remi Moses
18-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Heart and soul type player . Another underrated performer still

bornadog
18-04-2017, 09:31 PM
One of my favourites, great stuff Liam.

Currently on 180 games, so should get to 200 by the Granny.

KT31
18-04-2017, 11:46 PM
Brilliant news.

merantau
18-04-2017, 11:47 PM
One of my favourites, great stuff Liam.

Currently on 180 games, so should get to 200 by the Granny.
That would be fantastic.

Twodogs
18-04-2017, 11:52 PM
Great news for Liam and the club. A player that makes and owns the big moments.

Like BAD said this should take him past 200 games with the club. Premiership player, 200 gamer. I think only EJ, Wally Donald, Keithy Boyd and Dale Morris are in that club.

Eastdog
19-04-2017, 12:28 AM
Great news!

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2017, 12:41 AM
Certainly become a Bulldog Legend, fantastic career at its peak right now.

josie
20-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Bloody great news. Love ya Picken!!

bornadog
06-06-2017, 06:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YUKg2efJJ8

angelopetraglia
12-04-2018, 06:44 PM
“There is every chance Liam doesn’t play again this year”. Luke Beveridge on SEN on Liam Picken.

So sad. I hope we see him back running around for the Bulldogs. Wishing him all the best for a speedy recovery.

Whatever happens I will love and cherish him forever. A Premiership hero who played an unforgettable September. An immortal Bulldog.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Suspected this maybe it for him.

Will be a very sad day when it's announced. He's been a heart and soul player who played some of his best, and elite by all standards, footy at the most important time.

Hope he's starting to feel a bit better and the effects of this knock don't impact him post career.

josie
12-04-2018, 08:00 PM
My favourite player. What’s best for him and his family is way more important than playing again, although I hope he is able to. Intelligent guy who has prepared for life after footy and who has a really lovely family to help support him. A role model in so many ways. Love ya Picken...

Twodogs
12-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Liam Picken owes us nothing. He has repayed in spades the gamble the club took when we rookied him. Thereis life after footy.

I don't like the idea of not seeing Liam play again but he has kids, a skull that is a little less resilient to trauma-and Liam Picken wouldn't know how not to put his head over the ball or take his turn when it comes-and he has nothing left to prove on the field. Unless he thinks he might win the Brownlow medal (or the Coleman medal) next year. He probably doesn't but with Liam nothing surprises any more.

Rocket Science
12-04-2018, 09:00 PM
I'm looking forward to the mythical season in some distant future when the injury gods don't pick off our blokes like snipers.

Testekill
12-04-2018, 09:56 PM
It has to be curtains for Liam. He'll go down forever as a Bulldogs legend as he, more than anyone else in 2016, was possible the most instrumental player to us winning the flag.

Remi Moses
12-04-2018, 09:59 PM
I think sadly it’s over for Liam, but what a career .
His health is the most important thing now , and that 16 finals campaign and the sealer on GF day will live forever.
I think we’re going to see this more often now

AndrewP6
12-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Had a bad feeling about this for a while now. I fear this is it for Pickers' career. Gave us everything.

Bulldog Revolution
12-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Terribly sad to hear he's struggling like this

I just want to say: I love you Liam Picken

bornadog
12-04-2018, 11:48 PM
It has to be curtains for Liam. He'll go down forever as a Bulldogs legend as he, more than anyone else in 2016, was possible the most instrumental player to us winning the flag.

He was the outstanding player of all the finals - he was a man possessed and boy did he deliver. I really hope he can overcome this and play some more footy, but only if he is completely recovered.

Bulldog Joe
13-04-2018, 12:18 AM
I just hope Liam can recover and lead a full and fulfilled life.

He has delivered in football.

Axe Man
13-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Some further details of the issues Liam is dealing with:

Liam Picken might not play again in 2018 as he battles concussion, Luke Beveridge says (http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/liam-picken-might-not-play-again-in-2018-as-he-battles-concussion-luke-beveridge-says/news-story/29b905a6919bbfa5aff7a3e1490298be)

THE Western Bulldogs’ bumpy ride to 2018 has hit another speed bump, with coach Luke Beveridge revealing the future of one of his premiership stars remains in doubt.

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership hero Liam Picken could be forced to consider an early retirement due to concussion.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge revealed Picken’s ongoing symptoms were so severe that it was unclear when he would be able to play again.

The hard nut was still being rocked by dizzy spells and headaches, could not cope with loud music inside the club’s gymnasium and was unable to train.

Beveridge said Picken — who is contracted until the end of next season — may not play again this year, putting his career beyond that in doubt.

He needs only two more matches to reach 200 AFL games.

“Liam at the moment is quite openly saying that he knows he’s nowhere near ready to play again,” Beveridge said.

“There’s every chance that ‘Picko’ doesn’t play again this year.

“He’s still getting dizzy spells, he’s got headaches and he can’t train with the footballs.

“He cannot even cope with music in the four walls of the football club, so that’s how extreme it is at the moment.”

The issues stem from a head knock Picken, 31, suffered in the match against Hawthorn in the JLT Series when he clashed with teammate Josh Dunkley.

It was his second heavy head knock in 12 months following a similarly heavy blow against Fremantle in Round 3 last year.

Beveridge was adamant that Picken’s health was the priority and said “it would be a big challenge for everyone” determining whether the favourite son was “going to play maybe next year”.

He has been out indefinitely since the preseason blow on March 3 in Ballarat.

“We’ve sought some external consultants in the medical field who know a little bit more about brain injury and can give us some support around concussion, to provide our doctors and our medical staff with some advice,” Beveridge said on SEN.

“We’ve got as much clarity as you can, but we make some informed decisions when it comes to the point where maybe Liam’s keen to play again.”

Concussion is one of the biggest issues in the game, with a group of former players including former Cat and Bombers’ ruckman John Barnes and ex-Demon Shaun Smith leading a concussion damages claim against league and its clubs.

A raft of players have been forced to retire from the game early due to concussion including Heritier Lumumba (Melbourne), Sam Blease (Geelong), Jack Fitzpatrick (Hawthorn), Leigh Adams (North Melbourne) and Matt Maguire (Brisbane).

Former Saint Justin Koschitzke admitted last month he regretted returning too soon from a severe head knock in 2006 and continued to suffer from memory loss.

“I was really foolish to come back that year and play and if I had my time again I definitely would have taken the year off and rehabbed it properly and made sure I was in a fit state, mentally and physically, the next year,” Koschitzke said.

The league is using brain scans of former and current stars to conduct some world-leading research on concussion.

Picken is widely regarded as one of the most courageous and inspirational players in the competition and was given a two-year contract extension last year on the back of his stunning feats in the 2016 finals series.

Last year, the premiership star led the club’s goal kicking with 24 majors from 22 games.

Daughter of the West
13-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Poor bloke.

I would hope that no one would begrudge him hanging up the boots. I know I sure wouldn't.

Get well soon Picko - for your yourself, your wife and your kids, and not just for footy.

craigsahibee
13-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Poor bloke.

I would hope that no one would begrudge him hanging up the boots. I know I sure wouldn't.

Get well soon Picko - for your yourself, your wife and your kids, and not just for footy.

Absolutely not. As others have said on here, Liam owes us nothing. We, The Club, owe it to him and his family to provide him with the best care possible to manage him through this part of his life. No one could ever question Liam's commitment to the cause all throughout his career. Undoubtedly, the player of 2016 Finals Series.

Do whatever it takes Liam to get healthy, and only then consider whether you feel the need to pull on the boots again.

Daughter of the West
13-04-2018, 12:55 PM
Absolutely not. As others have said on here, Liam owes us nothing. We, The Club, owe it to him and his family to provide him with the best care possible to manage him through this part of his life. No one could ever question Liam's commitment to the cause all throughout his career. Undoubtedly, the player of 2016 Finals Series.

Do whatever it takes Liam to get healthy, and only then consider whether you feel the need to pull on the boots again.

Just to clarify, not thinking of people here on Woof, more boofheads elsewhere that might label him as "soft".

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Just to clarify, not thinking of people here on Woof, more boofheads elsewhere that might label him as "soft".

People who say that likely have never had a serious concussion nor do they have serious commitments (kids, parents etc.) in life. I'd love Liam to keep playing but not at the risk of his long term health. A brain injury isn't like a soft tissue injury where a bit of exercise will have it back to its old self in no time. You get a trauma injury to the brain and it stays vulnerable to another hit (and really bad damage) for the rest of your life.

I work with people who have significant intellectual disabilities from head trauma and I wouldn't wish something like that on my worse enemy.

Doc26
13-04-2018, 05:05 PM
”We’ve sought some external consultants in the medical field who know a little bit more about brain injury and can give us some support around concussion, to provide our doctors and our medical staff with some advice,” Beveridge said on SEN.

Given how significant concussion and it’s management is to the future of AFL I’m surprised that AFLHQ with the AFLPA do not play a more direct role in supporting the Clubs with players suffering the effects of concussion. It’s a whole of competition issue which for the benefit of learning and application should be centralised and not left to the limited resources at Club level to navigate their way through.

Mofra
13-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Picken was voted most courageous player in the AFL on more than one occasion wasn't he?
Most oppo fans on BigFooty have been pretty decent about the issue. Some guys are just universally respected by neutrals and I think Picko is one of them.

Ghost Dog
13-04-2018, 05:26 PM
The journey has been a fascinating one. From Balmoral, to Hamilton Footy club juniors, kicking bags on seniors, to Sandringham, to Western Bulldogs, under Rocket, McCartney, Bevo, to 2016's best finals player, to lift the cup against Sydney, an absolute juggernaut of footy. Volunteer work in India, rescuing people in the rivers of Hong Kong, and all the other stuff. Have a rest Liam!

Absolutely gutted but glad to see him rest the body. Laughing at all those who derided his playing style and ability over the years. If ever a guy got 110% out of himself, it's Liam. Famous battles of note, V Gary Ablett, Brent Harvey and others I will think about. Anyone care to mention others? He was always the perfect match up for Brent Harvey. Shut down Cyril Rioli a few times. Even when we got beaten watching him tag others out was fun. But Bevo let him off the leash and the chance to show his skills. Footy nous, great balance, marking, hard as nails, and able to uphold what you would want 'Bulldog' to be.

My favourite player, but actually I don't want him to continue.

bornadog
13-04-2018, 06:05 PM
The journey has been a fascinating one. From Balmoral, to Hamilton Footy club juniors, kicking bags on seniors, to Sandringham, to Western Bulldogs, under Rocket, McCartney, Bevo, to 2016's best finals player, to lift the cup against Sydney, an absolute juggernaut of footy. Volunteer work in India, rescuing people in the rivers of Hong Kong, and all the other stuff. Have a rest Liam!

Absolutely gutted but glad to see him rest the body. Laughing at all those who derided his playing style and ability over the years. If ever a guy got 110% out of himself, it's Liam. Famous battles of note, V Gary Ablett, Brent Harvey and others I will think about. Anyone care to mention others? He was always the perfect match up for Brent Harvey. Shut down Cyril Rioli a few times. Even when we got beaten watching him tag others out was fun. But Bevo let him off the leash and the chance to show his skills. Footy nous, great balance, marking, hard as nails, and able to uphold what you would want 'Bulldog' to be.

My favourite player, but actually I don't want him to continue.

You mean Williamstown to WB

Smads57
13-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Just about my all time favourite Dogs player and I've been following them since '67....just love his effort. Get better soon Picko!

Ghost Dog
13-04-2018, 07:39 PM
You mean Williamstown to WB

Yep! I knew that

ledge
13-04-2018, 08:00 PM
And only got on the list because Williamstown paid his rookie wage I believe.

Twodogs
13-04-2018, 08:32 PM
And only got on the list because Williamstown paid his rookie wage I believe.

Correct a mundo.

angelopetraglia
14-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Bob talks about Liam .... https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/04/14/bob-murphy-speaks-on-the-picken-concussion-news/

The Adelaide Connection
17-04-2018, 04:44 PM
I read a post on FB that someone was out at training and saw Liam kicking footys. Step in the right direction!

Axe Man
17-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Liam Picken is ‘desperate’ to play AFL footy again, despite ongoing effects of concussion (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/liam-picken-is-desperate-to-play-afl-footy-again-despite-ongoing-effects-of-concussion/news-story/2919ad4dc8249441dd717c20ed8026c7)

PREMIERSHIP Western Bulldogs forward Liam Picken is “desperate” to return to playing footy, says his cousin and Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown.
Picken has suffered a string on concussions, with his most recent in the JLT Community Series ruling him out of playing indefinitely.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge compounded the severity of Picken’s health when he suggested the 31-year-old could be forced into an early retirement last week.

But Brown said retirement wasn’t on Picken’s mind and that he was confident he would return to play this season.

“He’s desperate to want to get out there, but he’s still battling,” Brown said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“He’s not well enough to do full training. He’s running, but still suffering from headaches.

“I think he’s got to get how he feels in life back to balance and I think that will come.

“He desperately wants to play again.”

Brown has been a wealth of information for Picken, with the three-time premiership player suffering a number of serious head knocks throughout his career.

Indeed, Brown’s retirement was prompted by a heavy concussion sustained against the GWS Giants at the Gabba in 2014.

“I know from personal experience, which is what I’ve been talking to him about, is that the big one I had took me six months to get over it,” Brown said.

“Then it clicked one day and away you go, you can resume training.

“I think Liam is still hopeful of playing this season.

“But I think first and foremost he’s got to get his sleep patterns back and his balance right and that may take time.”

Picken’s latest concussion, in which he clashed with teammate Josh Dunkley, has left him marooned on 198 AFL matches.

It was his second heavy head knock in the space of 12 months, after suffering a similar blow against the Dockers in Round 3 last year.

With the lasting effects of concussion a serious health concern for athletes from a number of sporting codes around the globe, Beveridge said the Bulldogs would tread a conservative path with Picken.

“Liam at the moment is quite openly saying that he knows he’s nowhere near ready to play again,” Beveridge said.

“There’s every chance that ‘Picko’ doesn’t play again this year.

“He’s still getting dizzy spells, he’s got headaches and he can’t train with the footballs.

“He cannot even cope with music in the four walls of the football club, so that’s how extreme it is at the moment.”

ledge
17-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Obviously improved as he was out training today.
Great to see.
We also need to recognise Roberton at saints , hope they find his problem and he can get back to playing, scary to see that, from what I recall Eagleton did the same at port and they were able to fix his heart problem.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-04-2018, 01:29 PM
There is life after Liam. There is Malachy, destined to be the greatest Picken, with Billy as a grandad, Liam as a dad and Annie Nolan as a mum, he comes from a long line of feisty, intelligent fighters.

Twodogs
18-04-2018, 01:33 PM
There is life after Liam. There is Malachy, destined to be the greatest Picken, with Billy as a grandad, Liam as a dad and Annie Nolan as a mum, he comes from a long line of feisty, intelligent fighters.

I saw Marcus grab a handful of Jose Romero's hair and bounce his head on the ground a couple of times at training once. He wasn't backward in coming forward was uncle Marcus because Jose Romero wasn't someone to take lightly.

Mofra
18-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Obviously improved as he was out training today.
Great to see.
We also need to recognise Roberton at saints , hope they find his problem and he can get back to playing, scary to see that, from what I recall Eagleton did the same at port and they were able to fix his heart problem.
From memory Eagle had the same problem I do - SVT.
It's quite a benign condition and can be fixed under local anesthetic and a two week rest.

westdog54
18-04-2018, 08:53 PM
IIRC Eagle had Woolf-Parkinson-White syndrome or something similar.

Twodogs
18-04-2018, 09:26 PM
IIRC Eagle had Woolf-Parkinson-White syndrome or something similar.

Correct.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-04-2018, 12:40 PM
I saw Marcus grab a handful of Jose Romero's hair and bounce his head on the ground a couple of times at training once. He wasn't backward in coming forward was uncle Marcus because Jose Romero wasn't someone to take lightly.
Marcus and Liam have Jonathan Brown as a cousin and I suspect Cuchullain as an ancestor.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/cuchulainn.html

Twodogs
20-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Marcus and Liam have Jonathan Brown as a cousin and I suspect Cuchullain as an ancestor.
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/cuchulainn.html

In the story it mentions that he "felt no pain" I wonder if he was a lepor? Lepor's have trouble with their nerve endings and don't have the ability to feel pain. You could cut their arm off and they would only notice if they looked.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-04-2018, 02:53 PM
In the story it mentions that he "felt no pain" I wonder if he was a lepor? Lepor's have trouble with their nerve endings and don't have the ability to feel pain. You could cut their arm off and they would only notice if they looked.

Sounds like Liam.

Go_Dogs
20-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Glad to hear he was out kicking footys.

Young Teddy Richards goes a bit like Picko for mine - no doubt Liam's spending time at the club assisting with the development with some of our younger players, having played many spots on the park and against some of the best midfielders around.

AndrewP6
20-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Glad to hear he was out kicking footys.

Young Teddy Richards goes a bit like Picko for mine - no doubt Liam's spending time at the club assisting with the development with some of our younger players, having played many spots on the park and against some of the best midfielders around.

He reminds me of Picko, I've said it to a few people.

ledge
21-04-2018, 11:24 AM
I think he is as brave as picken but has more run aka JJ like.

bornadog
07-06-2018, 11:20 PM
Tweet from Liam

Over the past 3 months I’ve been undergoing rehab and recovering from concussion. I just wanted to send my sincerest thank you to all those that have supported me in various ways. I’ve been sent cards, presents and messages. I’m grateful for your kindness and generosity.

and also

Hopefully it's not long until I'm back out there

SonofScray
08-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Tweet from Liam

Over the past 3 months I’ve been undergoing rehab and recovering from concussion. I just wanted to send my sincerest thank you to all those that have supported me in various ways. I’ve been sent cards, presents and messages. I’m grateful for your kindness and generosity.

and also

Hopefully it's not long until I'm back out there No doubt about him, a Representitive to be proud of. Part of me feels like he has done enough, for long enough and I just want him to feel OK about hanging up the boots, knowing he embodies everything we admire in a footballer at our Club. He paid the price, can go and enjoy his family life even more.

But, that's not how he is, I suspect he'll slog it out again before the end of the year. He deserves the most rapturous applause we can muster in his return.

Topdog
08-06-2018, 01:50 PM
What a legend he is.

Eastdog
08-06-2018, 04:16 PM
No doubt about him, a Representitive to be proud of. Part of me feels like he has done enough, for long enough and I just want him to feel OK about hanging up the boots, knowing he embodies everything we admire in a footballer at our Club. He paid the price, can go and enjoy his family life even more.

But, that's not how he is, I suspect he'll slog it out again before the end of the year. He deserves the most rapturous applause we can muster in his return.

Yep will be a huge applause when he returns to senior footy.

He is as tough as they come and was instrumental in our 2016 premiership success. Will never forget the goal he kicked in the last term in the 16 grand final.

merantau
24-05-2019, 12:24 AM
A reminder of what a fantastic player he was.

https://youtu.be/eZECTCTIwbA

comrade
24-05-2019, 10:25 AM
A reminder of what a fantastic player he was.

https://youtu.be/eZECTCTIwbA

A great example of what made Picko great. His epic work rate combined with a surprising amount of skill & nous (that kick was literally cm perfect).