PDA

View Full Version : All AFL players should wear helmets

Ghost Dog
26-02-2013, 10:33 AM
What's the excuse? All AFL players should wear helmets. And one day they will.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-mROe3OyLUnXKu08zFJy_pNcL4LP_B0ZOuHWArUEPOAQbE5oZ

Nobody would have called Shaun Hart a wimp for wearing one....opps didn't help him much here...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpOvmHkvFWm_Z4D-bNYChit8oPGDZygcXs9iCPlntP77Sj7PV_

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is the result of repeated blows to the head. It can cause memory loss, early onset dementia and mood swings.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-in-denial-on-concussion-says-williams-20130225-2f22r.html#ixzz2Lx8nNds3

And all kids playing footy should be made to wear them too. Agree? Disagree?

Luke Dahlhaus is excused as he has a hair helmet.

SlimPickens
26-02-2013, 11:55 AM
It's an extreme view that all should players should wear a helmet as I'm not convinced that as a protective aid they will provide the desired level of safety.

NFL helmets have shown to confound concussion issue which is clearly against what the helmet is aiming to do. The softer type of helmet seen above may help distribute a blow better but I'm not sure that has been proven either.

There has to be a strong stance on players being concussed regardless of the severity. I think the AFL are generally doing a good job at this. One thing I would like to see is an independent doctor to assess the players on the field and make the call. Not to say the club doctors dont have what's best for the player as their primary intention, more that it takes away any possible debate in my eyes.

Ghost Dog
26-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Off topic but did anyone see these 'invisible helmets' made in Denmark? nifty!

mRXOBY6DZLc

The success of a helmet would depend on a number of things in its design.

For example, a helmet can actually increase concussion if it makes the head significantly heavier, by increasing the rotational force of the head ( link (http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/08/16/3569488.htm))

It can also give one a sense of security where there may be none.

On the other hand, if the helmet is light, and as you say, spreads the force of the blow, then there seems no counter argument, particularly as a means of protecting the temple regions of the head. For kids, it seems like a good idea in order to protect those parts of the skull that are not quite developed, like an adult. Some leagues, like the Echuca Juniors, have made it compulsory for 12-14 year olds. So the 'extreme view' argument doesn't quite hold up.

In the end, it comes down to the design of the thing, and the age group you are trying to apply it to. The bottom line is, the AFL could do more research into the possible design of helmets in my view.

LostDoggy
26-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Players can use helmets to turn their head into a battering ram.

KT31
26-02-2013, 02:31 PM
While it gives you protection you can still get concussed whilst wearing a helmet.
Its time for the Clubs and Clubs medical staff to take responsibilty and not put the player at risk by playing him the next week.

AndrewP6
26-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I don't think they can/will enforce the compulsory helmets at the AFL level, there are just going to be too many objections. Is there evidence that they actually work, ie. actually reduce concussions? Without that, there'll be lots of objections (still will be, in my view)...

Ghost Dog
26-02-2013, 08:12 PM
They have to actually do the research first don't they. Has to be some evidence.

Hotdog60
26-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Would a helmet stop your brain from smacking the inside of your skull?

The skull provides poor protection to the brain from trauma

The interior surface of the human skull

While common belief is that the skull provides a protective barrier around the brain providing adequate protection to the brain from outside forces, the very opposite is true. The brain is a soft gelatinous structure that floats in the skull in a sea of cerebrospinal fluid.

While the outside of the skull is strong and hard, the inside of the skull contains many sharp ridges and edges which can cause damage to the soft brain tissue. Much of the damage to the brain is related to the interior surface of the skull.

The brain is easily damaged when it moves within the skull cavity and is violently thrown up against these sharp areas. When the brain strikes the inside of the skull both the area that is struck can be injured as well as the opposite area of the brain. When the brain is subjected to forces causing it to move forward or backward or rotate in the closed skull cavity, the brain is forcefully propelled against the sharp edges and protrusions in the interior of the skull causing bruising, bleeding and destruction of nerve cells.

LINK (http://braininjuryacademy.org/about-brain-injury/how-is-the-brain-injuried/)

SonofScray
26-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Disagree, although I am in the camp of improving awareness and practice around the management of concussion and related injuries. A couple of points:

1. I'm not certain that those type of helmets actually diminish the impact of a big hit, beyond the abrasion side of things. Could be wrong but I'm fairly confident.

2. The trend in the game is for players to lead with the head, introduction of mandatory helmets most likely will encourage this as the risk will be perceived to be less.

3. My understanding is that it is the management of the injury after the event that needs to be addressed rather than the events where trauma occurs. Te reality is the risk of a hit to the head is inherent in contact sports. Repeatedly being exposed to damaging hits can be avoided, or at least reduced if the treatment options were explored, or more stringently adhered to.

In the NHL, my favourite player Marc Savard spent quite some time out of the game after a heavy concussion, in his first few games back, Matt Cooke gave him a brutal head shot. Savard will never play again. The medical staff have ruled him out, the risks for his health and safety are just too high now. He was one of Boston's best players. Huge call. But the right one.

I think we need to prepare ourselves for a future where concussions see players spend lenghty periods out of the game and potentially careers ended.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2013, 12:05 AM
\

1. I'm not certain that those type of helmets actually diminish the impact of a big hit, beyond the abrasion side of things. Could be wrong but I'm fairly confident.

2. The trend in the game is for players to lead with the head, introduction of mandatory helmets most likely will encourage this as the risk will be perceived to be less.

3. My understanding is that it is the management of the injury after the event that needs to be addressed rather than the events where trauma occurs. Te reality is the risk of a hit to the head is inherent in contact sports. Repeatedly being exposed to damaging hits can be avoided, or at least reduced if the treatment options were explored, or more stringently adhered to.

Respect your view, and you have some good points. Exploring this, some views from the other side.

1. Helmet design has not really been on the agenda. The data is inconclusive and not many types of helmets have been explored. Shaun Hart's is a pretty old design. Can we say we've put our best effort into it? And is this purely because of cosmetic reasons?

2. Point 2 I can't really counter. The more players are protected, the more likely they are to put their head in the cannon.

3. Here I would have to disagree. How many players are we willing to inconvenience if it saves 1 player from early onset dementia. 1? 5? 10 ? 40 ? I don't think helmet use is a panacea. But no reason why it cannot be part of a multi-pronged solution, if a design proves to reduce collision impact after testing. I really don't think anyone has tried. That's not to say it won't work.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Would a helmet stop your brain from smacking the inside of your skull?

The skull provides poor protection to the brain from trauma

The interior surface of the human skull

While common belief is that the skull provides a protective barrier around the brain providing adequate protection to the brain from outside forces, the very opposite is true. The brain is a soft gelatinous structure that floats in the skull in a sea of cerebrospinal fluid.

While the outside of the skull is strong and hard, the inside of the skull contains many sharp ridges and edges which can cause damage to the soft brain tissue. Much of the damage to the brain is related to the interior surface of the skull.

The brain is easily damaged when it moves within the skull cavity and is violently thrown up against these sharp areas. When the brain strikes the inside of the skull both the area that is struck can be injured as well as the opposite area of the brain. When the brain is subjected to forces causing it to move forward or backward or rotate in the closed skull cavity, the brain is forcefully propelled against the sharp edges and protrusions in the interior of the skull causing bruising, bleeding and destruction of nerve cells.

LINK (http://braininjuryacademy.org/about-brain-injury/how-is-the-brain-injuried/)

Ok. This is good reading Hotdog
I'm no expert, but this relates to brain injury, not brain injury and helmets.
In a collision, the brain is likely to be slammed into one side of the skull wall. When the head 'bounces' or 'whiplashes' from the impact, it bounces the other way as indicated in the above ) . I can see how a helmet might be less useful in this first impact, but can see how it might stop the effects of secondary impact.

Olympic boxers wear them. Unsure they would bother if it didn't do anything.

Hotdog60
27-02-2013, 12:25 AM
Ok. This is good reading Hotdog
I'm no expert, but this relates to brain injury, not brain injury and helmets.
In a collision, the brain is likely to be slammed into one side of the skull wall. When the head 'bounces' or 'whiplashes' from the impact, it bounces the other way as indicated in the above ) . I can see how a helmet might be less useful in this first impact, but can see how it might stop the effects of secondary impact.

A helmet wouldn't have helped Lewis:)
AI3_WYmhNic

The trouble with the game now days is the AFL in their wisdom from the early eighties onwards has been to speed the game up, it has now got to a dangerous level of high speed impact.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2013, 01:09 AM
A helmet wouldn't have helped Lewis:)

I'm not an expert. But agree, this is one knock that may not have had any other outcome. But admit that they don't happen like this in every game.
1. The hit. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RpY3R1qGRxw/USyxRritOgI/AAAAAAAAB90/9wXGWZodyrU/s320/Fullscreen+capture+2262013+113957+PM.jpg
I don't think a helmet would help much here with a knock like this.

2. It may actually worsen the impact here if the helmet is heavy. That's why they have to be light.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5pfZcZyLZh8/USyxR-CIf2I/AAAAAAAAB94/LAOXYpPQtMQ/s320/Fullscreen+capture+2262013+114024+PM.jpg

3. Here a helmet might be of some use. It might stop the force of a blow on a hard ground, like Etihad.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ey0QpaadR8A/USyw9cicMRI/AAAAAAAAB9k/-wHBw3ZBJXk/s320/Fullscreen+capture+2262013+114401+PM.jpg

Ok I can accept it woudn't have helped much in the initial contact. It might have helped in the slamming on the ground.

IIRC He came back on in this game didn't he??? Unbelievable if true. In a stupid way.

AndrewP6
27-02-2013, 01:25 AM

They have to, it's in the rules, it's not like they have a choice.

Hotdog60
27-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Ok I can accept it woudn't have helped much in the initial contact. It might have helped in the slamming on the ground.

IIRC He came back on in this game didn't he??? Unbelievable if true. In a stupid way.

I suppose that's the thing, hit his head on the ground the helmet would protest against any external damage cuts and bruising outside the skull but inside the brain would have been slapping around from the sudden jolting of hitting the ground.

I'm not a medical expert so my opinion is as valid as yours. I kinda think it's a bit like when the body gets hit by a high velocity bullet, minor damage at the point of entry but the hydrostatic shock ruptures the organs inside, this is an extreme example and after looking a little on the net the Hydrostatic shock is a debate within it's self.

I think helmets may help for light collisions that would make a player dazed without it but it a collision were a player is rendered unconscious I think the helmet would be of little use.

soupman
27-02-2013, 08:28 AM
They have to actually do the research first don't they. Has to be some evidence.

Who the AFL? They'll just bring it in for the last round of the NAB cup, declare it a success and introduce it permanently without consulting the players:rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
27-02-2013, 08:58 AM
I suppose that's the thing, hit his head on the ground the helmet would protest against any external damage cuts and bruising outside the skull but inside the brain would have been slapping around from the sudden jolting of hitting the ground.

I'm not a medical expert so my opinion is as valid as yours. I kinda think it's a bit like when the body gets hit by a high velocity bullet, minor damage at the point of entry but the hydrostatic shock ruptures the organs inside, this is an extreme example and after looking a little on the net the Hydrostatic shock is a debate within it's self.

I think helmets may help for light collisions that would make a player dazed without it but it a collision were a player is rendered unconscious I think the helmet would be of little use.

Yeah I take your point. Airbags work in cars for example. But only because of the delayed 'cushioning effect' of the bag the human head. It would have to have 'airbag' qualities as a helmet for it to have any protective effect from the high speed momentum. And' that's just not practical. I'm not sure this applies to kids and wether or not it's worth them wearing it is an interesting question for me.
The code is going to face increasing competition from Soccer. I know a lot of mums are reluctant to let their kids play AFL.

LostDoggy
27-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah I take your point. Airbags work in cars for example. But only because of the delayed 'cushioning effect' of the bag the human head. It would have to have 'airbag' qualities as a helmet for it to have any protective effect from the high speed momentum. And' that's just not practical. I'm not sure this applies to kids and wether or not it's worth them wearing it is an interesting question for me.
The code is going to face increasing competition from Soccer. I know a lot of mums are reluctant to let their kids play AFL.

A lot of mums are reluctant to let their kids do anything. Life is risk.

Hotdog60
27-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Kids become a different story as their body is still developing. I don't know about Victoria but AFL in Queensland is a non contact sport until under 12 when it goes to full Field and contact.If a junior has a concussion, they are not permitted to play for 2 weeks and maybe they should add to this a helmet must be worn for the rest of the season.
I wasn't concerned for my boys when they were playing but some parents made their kids wear helmets but as the kid get older the helmet soon goes.

gohardorgohome
02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
I have always disliked helmets in footy. I was very happy to see the AFL state that "There is no definitive scientific evidence that helmets prevent concussion or other brain injuries in Australian football".

Helmets are also a nightmare when you are coaching a team where many players wear helmets.... You find it very hard to tell one player from another..

http://aflcommunityclub.com.au/index.php?id=883

Helmets

There is no definitive scientific evidence that helmets prevent concussion or other brain injuries in Australian football
There is some evidence that younger players who wear a helmet may change their playing style, and receive more head impacts as a result
Accordingly, helmets are not recommended for the prevention of concussion
Helmets may have a role in the protection of players on return to play following specific injuries (e.g. face or skull fractures)