PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - 2013 NAB Cup Round 2 - Hawthorn

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
26-02-2013, 04:59 PM
Our first full match of 2013. For me I'm just hoping we don't get any injuries and that we put in a competitive performance.

Maddog37
26-02-2013, 07:00 PM
I would like to see a few Hawks pretty boys sat on their arse. One thing about playing them last year was the way the continually stood over us and bullied our players and we just went into our shell.

Mantis
26-02-2013, 10:19 PM
I would like to see a few Hawks pretty boys sat on their arse. One thing about playing them last year was the way the continually stood over us and bullied our players and we just went into our shell.

Like who?

And who are our 'enforcers' who will do the tough guy stuff?

Maddog37
26-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Like who?

And who are our 'enforcers' who will do the tough guy stuff?

Mitchell, Osborne, Birchall, guerra and anyone in brown and gold would be a good start.

I want the whole team down to the last man to stand up for themselves a bit more. Letting a team stand over you physically is not good.

Happy Days
26-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Mitchell, Osborne, Birchall, guerra and anyone in brown and gold would be a good start.

I want the whole team down to the last man to stand up for themselves a bit more. Letting a team stand over you physically is not good.

Acting like dickheads in a practice match is not good either.

Seriously what is the point of this?

The Bulldogs Bite
26-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Save that for the real season.

I want to see two things:

- A system of how we move the ball to the forward half of the ground, and a competent forward structure.
- Improved skill

AndrewP6
26-02-2013, 11:15 PM

- A system of how we move the ball to the forward half of the ground, and a competent forward structure.
- Improved skill

This, plus no major injuries.

LostDoggy
27-02-2013, 12:37 AM
When are we playing?

The Bulldogs Bite
27-02-2013, 12:39 AM
When are we playing?

Friday Night @ ES

Eastdog
27-02-2013, 03:10 AM

- Improved skill

Me too as well TBB along with what I said in my earlier post no injuries and more competitiveness which was lacking in our first round NAB Cup matches.

Maddog37
27-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Acting like dickheads in a practice match is not good either.

Seriously what is the point of this?

I am not sure who suggested they act like dickheads. Football is as much mental as it is physical and letting teams bully you as the Hawks have done lately creates a sense of inferiority in the group. If you don't get what I am saying then I am wasting my breath.

Our playing group needs more aggression as a whole is my point.

LostDoggy
27-02-2013, 03:25 PM
I am not sure who suggested they act like dickheads. Football is as much mental as it is physical and letting teams bully you as the Hawks have done lately creates a sense of inferiority in the group. If you don't get what I am saying then I am wasting my breath.

Agree with this. It's not about mouthing off and hitting blokes, but not shirking the contest and being a good team mate. Against Hawthorn last season their senior guys were beating up on our young guns at every contest with no help from our experienced players.

bornadog
27-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Agree with this. It's not about mouthing off and hitting blokes, but not shirking the contest and being a good team mate. Against Hawthorn last season their senior guys were beating up on our young guns at every contest with no help from our experienced players.

Yep, just ask Wallis about the punch in the head from Sam Mitchell behind play

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2013, 05:32 PM
The full team list:

2 ROBERT MURPHY
3 MITCH WALLIS
4 DANIEL CROSS
5 MATTHEW BOYD
6 LUKE DAHLHAUS
10 EASTON WOOD
11 JACKSON MACRAE
13 DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA
14 CLAY SMITH
15 JASON TUTT
16 RYAN GRIFFEN
19 LIAM JONES
21 TOM LIBERATORE
22 DYLAN ADDISON
23 JORDAN ROUGHEAD
25 KOBY STEVENS
27 WILL MINSON
29 TORY DICKSON
31 TOM YOUNG
33 NICK LOWER
37 LUKAS MARKOVIC
38 DALE MORRIS
39 JASON JOHANNISEN
42 LIAM PICKEN
44 BRETT GOODES
45 TOM CAMPBELL
49 AYCE CORDY

Cyberdoggie
27-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Notable Absentees: Stringer, Veszpremi, Cooney, Higgins, Hrovat, Williams, Grant, Pearce, Talia, Austin,

3 more to be cut to make 24 closer to the game.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Doesn't bode well for Veszpremi to not play either game in the first two weeks of pre-season, unless he's injured?

EasternWest
27-02-2013, 07:18 PM

I still think we might get roughed up a bit due to the fact we're just so young. I'd hope we make some upwards movements towards holding our own a bit though. I agree with your point, I just think the time when we're equally physical is a bit off yet.

I'm just glad none of our players hit other players behind play.

Go_Dogs
27-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Notable Absentees: Stringer, Veszpremi, Cooney, Higgins, Hrovat, Williams, Grant, Pearce, Talia, Austin,

I guess a few from last week missing for workload reasons, but it's interesting Stringer hasn't been named for a game yet.

Looks a reasonably experienced/old side for us even with about 5 first choice players out. Stevens is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing this week, anyone got an idea of where he might play?

MrMahatma
27-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Looking forward to this. Will be in Melb for work so will be there. Love it.

4 decent transitions that lead to goals would suit me. A bit of system.

Remi Moses
27-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Would have thought Stringer would have had a look in .
Hopefully NAB 3 we see Hrovat and Stringer

Eastdog
27-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Would have thought Stringer would have had a look in .
Hopefully NAB 3 we see Hrovat and Stringer

Understandable why we wouldn't play them as we don't want to risk them getting injured but saying that it would be good if they got a run. Will Stringer and Hrovat play Round 1 against the Lions.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-02-2013, 10:11 PM

I was disappointed that Roberts wasn't named. The fact that Williams is still missing is a concern. A pity also that Talia is out as our team lacks height at the expense of too many mid sized types, without a great deal of pace. This will be a big test for our younger players against a more experienced Hawthorn.

Dry Rot
27-02-2013, 10:44 PM
I was disappointed that Roberts wasn't named.

Same here. What is the NAB Cup for?

LostDoggy
27-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Does anyone have any information on why Stringer hasn't had a look in yet? Or anyone seen him at training that can give an opinion?
Is he fit and running ok? Is he fitting in? Is he a "maybe next year" player? Etc. Etc. ???

Ghost Dog
27-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Same here. What is the NAB Cup for?

It's very frustrating when guys you rate get overlooked for guys you don't rate at all.....

Eastdog
27-02-2013, 11:33 PM
It's very frustrating when guys you rate get overlooked for guys you don't rate at all.....

Who would you say you don't rate GD?

GVGjr
27-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Does anyone have any information on why Stringer hasn't had a look in yet? Or anyone seen him at training that can give an opinion?
Is he fit and running ok? Is he fitting in? Is he a "maybe next year" player? Etc. Etc. ???

I think he got a knock the other day and while he was keen to play the wise decision was made.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Who would you say you don't rate GD?

I'd have Fletcher over Howard or Tutt.
I'd have Cambell as a forward over Cordy. Put Cordy as a ruck to give him some touch.

and you Eastdog?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I'm disappointed with no Roberts too.

Eastdog
28-02-2013, 01:08 AM
I'd have Cambell as a forward over Cordy. Put Cordy as a ruck to give him some touch.

and you Eastdog?

Quite similar to you.

jeemak
28-02-2013, 01:25 AM

and you Eastdog?

Is Howard listed?

Why would you have a KPP take a place over one, or two flankers/midfielders anyway?

Mofra
28-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Will Stringer and Hrovat play Round 1 against the Lions.
Wouldn't expect it - first year players on modified programs (Hrovat due to his quad, Stringer doing extra strength/balance work on his "bad" leg)

Murphy'sLore
28-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Maybe we're foxing and will spring Roberts in Round 1!

The Underdog
28-02-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure why all of the angst over selection for a pre-season game. They won't play anyone who even has a slight niggle and they still have 2 games after this to give others a game. I'd imagine they'll leave a bunch of the more experienced guys home rather than make them fly to WA next week so i'd expect a fairly youthful team (moreso than usual)

LostDoggy
28-02-2013, 10:53 AM

I agree. We don't need to run around like North Melbourne or Freo, just belting blokes to show we're “tough”, but if we're copping some physicality I want to see our players giving as good as they get. “We'll play fair until you get nasty, then it's on” kinda thing.

I still think we might get roughed up a bit due to the fact we're just so young. I'd hope we make some upwards movements towards holding our own a bit though. I agree with your point, I just think the time when we're equally physical is a bit off yet.

I'm just glad none of our players hit other players behind play.

They don't have to come out on top, just show they won't be bullied.

bornadog
28-02-2013, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure why all of the angst over selection for a pre-season game. They won't play anyone who even has a slight niggle and they still have 2 games after this to give others a game. I'd imagine they'll leave a bunch of the more experienced guys home rather than make them fly to WA next week so i'd expect a fairly youthful team (moreso than usual)

I read somewhere over the last couple of days, that all the boys will get a run before the season proper. The article pointed out Stringer and Williams will be playing in the next few weeks.

G-Mo77
28-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Jake Stringer will be playing tomorrow night. Wish I wasn't working. :(

Edit: Forgot to mention it was to replace Addison.

LostDoggy
28-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Stringer's playing tomorrow night!? You know you love the Dogs when you're disappointed about missing a practice match because of Soundwave... spewing.

LostDoggy
28-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Stringer alert! Replacing addison ! Let's get it on

G-Mo77
28-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Stringer's playing tomorrow night!? You know you love the Dogs when you're disappointed about missing a practice match because of Soundwave... spewing.

I'll happily take your Soundwave ticket so you can go.

Mofra
28-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Damn, was trying to sell mine last night due to a last minute cancellation (I have a wedding to do to instead).

At least the wedding aniversary date will be easy to remember - Stringer's debut in red, white & blue :D

G-Mo77
28-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Damn, was trying to sell mine last night due to a last minute cancellation (I have a wedding to do to instead).

At least the wedding aniversary date will be easy to remember - Stringer's debut in red, white & blue :D

Couldn't afford it mate that's why I'm not going.

The key word in my post is take, I'll happily take one. :D

LostDoggy
28-02-2013, 01:46 PM

Let me consider that for a moment... :rolleyes:

bornadog
28-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Let me consider that for a moment... :rolleyes:

Why roll your eyes?

DragzLS1
28-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Stringer in cant wait!!

I would pick Tutt over Howard and Roberts as it is his 4th season and is make or break. Think he can suprise a few but needs confidence and a better run with injury. Roberts is in his 2nd year only and will have plenty of opportunity to play so am not too fussed with him not being selected.

divvydan
28-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Given that Stringer has only come into the squad late, there must be a decent chance he's one of the three left out on the night.

Murphy'sLore
28-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Given that Stringer has only come into the squad late, there must be a decent chance he's one of the three left out on the night.

Don't be a spoilsport!

Mofra
28-02-2013, 04:13 PM
If that was the case, they would have simply left Addison in the squad and made him part of the 3 exclusions, surely?

Eastdog
28-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Is this game in full normal quarters like in the H&A season or shortened.

w3design
28-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Can't see them going with 3 ruckmen on the night, so expect one of Minno., Campbell and Ayce to drop out.
Given we have one more round as well before R1, I would not be surprised if the other 2 to be dropped for this week, prior to being re-included the following week, were older more senior players.
From where we sit now, we are not going to be in the finals of NAB, so I expect kids to be given their chance now, while known quantity old warriors might get a weeks spell.

Cyberdoggie
28-02-2013, 05:03 PM
From where we sit now, we are not going to be in the finals of NAB, so I expect kids to be given their chance now, while known quantity old warriors might get a weeks spell.

I get the feeling that from our first game of NAB the coach wasn't very happy with how the team gelled together. That is all the new faces etc.

The format doesn't help either with half the team changing in the second game, so i get the feeling he wants to look at his first team with the new guys who he expects to come in to the side such as Lower, Stevens, Goodes, and try and get some synergy happening before the start of the season.

I'm sure in the next couple of weeks some of the others will get games, most likely the last NAB game.

It's absolutely crucial that we get a good start to the season, not only for the spirit of the side but every other reason, memberships, financial etc etc. We need to be cherry ripe round 1 against the lions, there will be a time to get a better look at some of these kids.

bornadog
28-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Is this game in full normal quarters like in the H&A season or shortened.

Its a full game but with some special rules like extra on the bench and some modified rules. I think the quarters may also be slightly shorter.

GVGjr
28-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Jake Stringer will be playing tomorrow night. Wish I wasn't working. :(

Edit: Forgot to mention it was to replace Addison.

I went to a sponsors night this evening and it was confirmed that Stringer would be playing. Hrovat will likely play against Fremantle the following week.

bornadog
01-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Get set to see the boys in all red tonight, including shorts.

divvydan
01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
In addition to NAB Cup game tonight, Williamstown are having a practice match against Werribee at the Whitten Oval today. Seniors 4pm, Development 6pm.

Greenwood, Howard, Jong, Vez, Fletcher-Roberts, Grant, Talia and Redpath are playing in the senior game. Hunter and Prudden in the development game.

LostDoggy
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
In addition to NAB Cup game tonight, Williamstown are having a practice match against Werribee at the Whitten Oval today. Seniors 4pm, Development 6pm.

Greenwood, Howard, Jong, Vez, Fletcher-Roberts, Grant, Talia and Redpath are playing in the senior game. Hunter and Prudden in the development game.

Little bit disappointing it managed to be the same day as WB V Hawks :(

neddie
01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Little bit disappointing it managed to be the same day as WB V Hawks :(
Will the game be broadcast?

lemmon
01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Will the game be broadcast?

Or any chance of it being up at AFL.com? Really disappointed I'm working tonight, pumped to see the new boys

divvydan
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Won't be any coverage of the VFL practice game. WB v Haw is live on FoxFooty.

Cyberdoggie
01-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Looks like we'll be wearing the red guernsey tonight.
The good part is they are wearing red shorts as well. Looked ordinary with the white shorts.

divvydan
01-03-2013, 07:15 PM
FINAL TEAMS: Wallis, Stringer, Macrae will start as subs. Tutt, Young and Campbell emergencies.

From WB Twitter.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks divvydan. Glad we aren't going in with four giants and hope the subs all get half a game.

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Or any chance of it being up at AFL.com? Really disappointed I'm working tonight, pumped to see the new boys

WB V HWK 730pm - On Fox Footy and streaming online ;)

LostDoggy
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
WB V HWK 730pm - On Fox Footy and streaming online ;)

Streaming online? ..... you serious?

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Pvt Mgs me if your interested
Not sure I can post it

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Streaming online? ..... you serious?

For some games this weekend streaming will be the only option as they won't be on fox footy at all.

AndrewP6
01-03-2013, 08:37 PM
That red strip and shorts is just dreadful.

LostDoggy
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Cant even find the radio feed on the AFL website

chef
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM

Yeah, I'm not a fan either.

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I'm not a fan either.

Me either much prefer our traditional strip for all games. Clashing wasn't an issue 10-15 years ago.

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Murph 50+ goals this season!

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Murph looking good. Jones need to address his kicking still. We are moving the ball quite well.

hujsh
01-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Jones looking good early. Helps having Murph putting it down your throat.

AndrewP6
01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Dickson busted open, hasn't been seen yet!

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 09:02 PM
looking much better tonight!

Bulldog4life
01-03-2013, 09:08 PM

The Western Bulldogs’ red hoops guernsey will make a return tomorrow night when the Club takes on Hawthorn, in round two of the NAB Cup competition.

Coupled with red shorts for 2013, the striking alternative strip will be on display for the second consecutive year during the Bulldogs’ NAB Cup campaign.

The addition of the red shorts was also prompted from member and fan feedback off the back of last year’s pre-season matches.
- See more at: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-02-28/bulldogs-in-red#sthash.6rUGmygA.dpuf

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Markovics a worry!

LostDoggy
01-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Easton just had a serious WTF moment. Roughy continuing good work from last year

AndrewP6
01-03-2013, 09:27 PM
The Western Bulldogs’ red hoops guernsey will make a return tomorrow night when the Club takes on Hawthorn, in round two of the NAB Cup competition.

Coupled with red shorts for 2013, the striking alternative strip will be on display for the second consecutive year during the Bulldogs’ NAB Cup campaign.

The addition of the red shorts was also prompted from member and fan feedback off the back of last year’s pre-season matches.
- See more at: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-02-28/bulldogs-in-red#sthash.6rUGmygA.dpuf

They didn't get that feedback from me, I think it's awful.

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Markovics a worry!

Maybe still early but add Cordy as well. Tight match so far.

AndrewP6
01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Stevens' nice kick puts us in front again....he's looked alright.

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Noticed Boyd kick straight to opposition earlier hehee

GVGjr
01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Noticed Boyd kick straight to opposition earlier hehee

I nearly broke my mobile phone

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I nearly broke my mobile phone

Hahaha.. There was no pressure at all on him either!

craigsahibee
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Got smashed around the clearances early on in the second qtr. fought back well. Minson is playing well. Markovic and Cordy are a long way from our best 22.
Stevens going ok. Libba alright but putting pressure on our receivers with his handballs just off the mark.
Roughy has been good except for an error in the first which gave them a scoring opportunity. Ruck men should never get involved in a chain of handballs. It's ok to start it off then stay right out of it.
Overall quite pleased except for the fact I wore shorts and a tshirt.
It is cool to say the least.

Remi Moses
01-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Me either much prefer our traditional strip for all games. Clashing wasn't an issue 10-15 years ago.

Clash strips for mineare a no brainier for mine.
The argument that we didn't have them years ago fails in that
1) the game is played quicker than ever before
2)The amount of players around the ball has risen significantly
3) every game is on TV
Also teams guernseys have had subtle changes over the years.
If it's good enough for world wide franchises to have clash strips, then it's good enough for a domestic sport to do so.

Remi Moses
01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Couldn't believe that kick.
Like the competitiveness , but the polish going forward is as per usual average ( that's being nice)

Mantis
01-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I'm yet to see anything to get excited about so far.

We are just dead set boring.

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
You can tell its pre season the way this game is going.

lemmon
01-03-2013, 10:20 PM
That mark from Jones has made my night, don't care what else I see

EasternWest
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Let's not get carried away.

That was great by Stringer.

lemmon
01-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I'm yet to see anything to get excited about so far.

How about them kids?!? That's what I'm excited about

AndrewP6
01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Bit of Stringer magic heading towards three quarter time. Nice.

Scraggers
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM

Wow !!! First time I've cheered out loud for quite a while !!

Mantis
01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
How about them kids?!? That's what I'm excited about

Which kids?

firstdogonthemoon
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
STRINGER! What a lovely goal.

a dim light in the darkness, but a light all the same

craigsahibee
Macrae's poise over the ball is encouraging.

LostDoggy
We have a forward. Thank the goooood lord. Might help Jones get into it more in the future. 11 and 9 just look class. Going to be a bally long year though!

Rance Fan
Much better performance imo.

Hey we have played and competed for more than half a match!
No fade out!

Remi Moses
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Hmm Wallis Macrae and Stringer.
Lets not be negative on Everything please

AndrewP6
01-03-2013, 10:28 PM
Much better performance imo.

Hey we have played and competed for more than half a match!
No fade out!

Don't speak too soon!!

lemmon
01-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Which kids?

Stringer and Macrae gave a taste of the future that quarter, Macrae oozes class

AndrewP6
01-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Stringer hobbling off,didn't last long! :(

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 10:32 PM
stringer - oh no!

LostDoggy
01-03-2013, 10:33 PM
O god they just twisted his ankle - walking off. Feel sick - at least he's walking. Aaaaaggg

Mantis
01-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Hmm Wallis Macrae and Stringer.
Lets not be negative on Everything please

They were still subs when I made the initial comment.

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Our youngsters have been great. I really believe from these really very early signs we have a good future.

lemmon
01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Much better ball movement, need Cordy to clunk a few but Jones looks set for a better year at least

Sedat
01-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Which kids?
Young Goodes looks very comfortable at this level ;)

Gee Cordy is a major disappointment. His lack of intensity is an indictment on him. That effort against Guerra was insipid - reminded me of Sedat Sir being outmarked in the goal square by that giant Chad Morrison at the WACA in 1997. Jones is working very hard up forward - good to see.

Our deplorable field kicking is going to kill us all season.

LostDoggy
01-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Cordy no, Jones probably, Roughead definately. Two out of three ain't bad in the same draft.

We need Stringer

Remi Moses
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM

Gee Cordy is a major disappointment. His lack of intensity is an indictment on him. That effort against Guerra was insipid - reminded me of Sedat Sir being outmarked in the goal square by that giant Chad Morrison at the WACA in 1997. Jones is working very hard up forward - good to see.

Need another draft of good kicks.
Cordy just shows nothing.

Greystache
01-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Some really good signs tonight.

We look a lot better when Roughead is on the ground, Markovic is a huge concern.

lemmon
01-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Clayyyyyyyyy!!!! You ripper!!!

Greystache
01-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Smith's kicking had noticeably improved

The Underdog
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Who thought they'd hear the words Clay Smith and super goal in the same sentence?

EasternWest
01-03-2013, 10:49 PM

We look a lot better when Roughead is on the ground, Markovic is a huge concern.

He's read the play so well tonight.

I have a lot of time for Clay Smith. That was a beautiful kick too.

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Scores level

bulldogsman
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Who thought they'd hear the words Clay Smith and super goal in the same sentence?

Actually, he was a very good kick for goal as a junior.
Field kicking is much improved.

Would be nice to have a win here. Good mark Jones, been impressed with him.

Twodogs
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Great win boys!

lemmon
01-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Cheering like an idiot

comay
01-03-2013, 10:57 PM
goooooooooooooooo dogggggggggggggggggggs bravooooooooo :)

lemmon
01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Only caught the second half but super content. Was the kids that got us through

EasternWest
01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Well. That wasn't as depressing as I'd feared it might be. Cordy's a worry.

Still not getting carried away.

GVGjr
Even allowing for the fact it was a NAB cup game etc how great was it the way we answered a number of challenges?

Plenty of work to do but some decent signs.

Dry Rot
Bloody enjoyed that. Good game.

Any word on Stringer?

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Cheers to our 1st win for the season!

Sedat
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
All I want from Clay is to be solid and safe by foot. He has so many other fantastic qualities, not the least of which is his massive appetite for the contest.

firstdogonthemoon
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
wooooooo!

Mantis
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM

They were?

GVGjr
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM
All I want from Clay is to be solid and safe by foot. He has so many other fantastic qualities, not the least of which is his massive appetite for the contest.

I could live with the fact that he ends up being an effective kick. As you say here are some other pluses.

Twodogs
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Cheering like an idiot

Yep. The kids are jumping around the house.

Even allowing for the fact it was a NAB cup game etc how great was it the way we answered a number of challenges?

That's what I really liked. We didnt throw in the towel.

I had butterflies in my stomach towards the end.:D

Remi Moses
01-03-2013, 11:06 PM

Any word on Stringer?

No it's time for Fox Footy's umpteenth replay.
Why not just have an after game of some sort??

lemmon
01-03-2013, 11:07 PM
They were?

Honest question, did you watch the game?

angelopetraglia
01-03-2013, 11:08 PM
257 days since we last won a game. Even if its only the NAB Cup we will take it. Some OK signs out there tonight and it can't do our membership drive any damage.

LostDoggy
01-03-2013, 11:09 PM
At least it didn't snap. He was jogging before he vanished albeit in some pain.

Bulldog4life
01-03-2013, 11:09 PM

Disagree. I saw a lot of signs tonight to get excited about. Have to be a supreme pessimist to think otherwise.

Twodogs
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
I love footy!

Twodogs
01-03-2013, 11:14 PM
The thing that I was happy with was we took control of the game back and when we'd hit the front we hung onto the ball and made Hawthorn react to us. They had to man up toward the end instead of ball hunting.

Sedat
01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
They were?
Some individual players showed plenty - really liked Jones' game. Roughy also looking better with every outing down back. I'm also a Goodes fan - good to have a dependable user of the ball by foot in defensive 50.

Ball movement and skill by foot still major worries. Of all the teams in the competition who chip it around to ice the clock, we would be the last team you'd bet your house on to do it.

Rance Fan
01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Good to get a win! Its been a while

bulldogsman
01-03-2013, 11:18 PM
They were?

Off the top of my head.

- Jones up forward
- Better consistent effort over 4 quarters of footy
- Better ball movement
- Made smarter decisions
- They got away on us, but we came back at them

There were some worrying things there too (skills are obviously still a worry), but at least there were some much better signs compared to last week.

Hotdog60
01-03-2013, 11:18 PM
I couple of times I thought we were gone and we stuck in there. Good signs if we just be competitive. Boyd is still a worry and he just kicks it forward when under pressure and turns it over when he's not.

He was resting in the forward line at one stage maybe we need him to stay there.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2013, 11:20 PM

His tackle gave Stringer a goal.

Djwilly
01-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis
They were?

Gee, you're hard to please !! I totally enjoyed that game.
Well Done Boys !!!

Sedat
01-03-2013, 11:23 PM
It was Stringer who made the initial tackle and then he put in a second effort to tackle again and a third effort to intercept and then had the presence of mind to kick a goal with the outside of his boot. He showed more talent, skill and fierce competitiveness in one passage of play than Cordy has shown in 5 years

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-03-2013, 11:23 PM
I just hope Stringer isn't badly injured. He really looked likely in the forward line. For an 18yr old playing his first senior AFL game (albeit NAB Cup) he actually had a real presence.

Given the opposition and the format, I don't think we use it as any gauge for how we go when the real stuff starts. However, lest I seem negative, the most significant positive for me tonight was the last Qtr and a half, our kids were leading the way, Wallis, Libba, Smith, Jones, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Johanissen, etc. They showed admirable commitment (if not out right polish), determination, and resilience, and for them to experience a win on the back of displaying those traits, is a great reward for effort.

whythelongface
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Some really good signs tonight. I thought Jones showed some good signs again with some strong marks. His kicking let him down. I like Johaniesen's (sp) attack on the ball and his run. Goodes looks solid down back. Good signs from Lower and Stevens. Roughead was excellent at Fullback.

I liked that we were down and out a couple of times but came back to take the lead at the end of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs. It was not like Hawthorn didn't have experienced players in their line up - not sure of the exact no. but there would have been 10-12 players from their GF side from last year.

There is definitely a lot more improvement but it was a positive performance tonight.

Doc26
I love footy!

It's been so damn long hasn't it.

And so what if it's only a NAB Ciup game, we were all going off and still feel on a high, and after so long the winning feeling is not too dissimilar to that of a home and away win.

Hopefully some confidence can be taken by all.

Well done lads.

divvydan
Really liked the pressure we were able to apply, throughout most of the game, when the ball was in our forward line, especially kick ins and stoppages.

Remi Moses
01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
It was Stringer who made the initial tackle and then he put in a second effort to tackle again and a third effort to intercept and then had the presence of mind to kick a goal with the outside of his boot. He showed more talent, skill and fierce competitiveness in one passage of play than Cordy has shown in 5 years

Thought the same thing.
When he kicked that goal I yelled " Yes"
Did anyone see Mitch Wallis? Pumped the fists then realised it was only a NAB cup game.
Great for the club in a positive sense:)

Ghost Dog
01-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Watched it in a pub in Geelong. Let everyone know we won. Few fist pumps. Locals weren't impressed but care factor Zero cats fans.

Tonight was more about the win. You can see the pieces starting to fit together into the future.
Some outstanding play in every area of the ground. Dahlhaus, great goal from the Boundary. Mitch Wallis in the centre. Easton wood with courage, back with the flight. Much better lines of delivery tonight.

Major worry for me is we are far too easy to score against. Not sure we've found the right mix back there, or just caught napping in a pre-season game. Each time Hawthorn went forward they looked like scoring.

And that's why, in the dying minutes, we owe the win to Matty Boyd with a game saving tackle. Game highlight; Clay Smith! gone for the wind!

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Tonight was pleasing on a few levels. I thought our first quarter was impressive, we moved the ball effectively by foot and were leading to space. It was a simple game -- lead and kick it to the space. No aimless long bombs. I thought that we went back to old habits once Hawthorn challenged us at times, and along with fatigue, started spraying the ball. To counter that, we did fight hard all night and the game looked like blowing out a few times but to their credit, they dug deeper when required and pulled the Hawks back. Obviously this is something we didn't do last season, so that was good to see.

The win was soured with Jake Stringer's injury. I really hope that he's okay, felt sick when he hobbled off. He showed great signs in the very limited game time he had, with great defensive pressure, bone crunching tackles and that spectacular goal. It was only a glimpse but he certainly showed why he was once touted a number one pick -- looks very special.

Goodes was super again. He's a very intelligent player, composed with the ball in hand, wins contests and hits targets. It's a shame he wasn't picked up much earlier, but he looks fantastic -- a seriously good pick-up. Stevens showed a bit in his first game for the club too. Certainly throws his body in, and his skills look pretty neat. Thought he fumbled once or twice, but overall, good signs. Should be a good addition. Lower was solid and used the ball better by foot this week. Good in a contest too, so along with Goodes and Stevens, is another very astute and cheap pick-up.

Libba was fantastic and Smith has improved his disposal by foot. You can't help but love watching Clay play, he's an absolute beast already and that goal was a real pleasant surprise. Jones was super impressive, I wasn't too concerned with his missed shots, and I still think his kicking has improved. Took some great marks and led very well. Along with Stringer's goal, Jones' form was the highlight of the night for mine. It's worth noting that Murphy makes our forward half/structure look a lot better, he obviously provides a hard working/leading target to kick the ball to, but just as important he creates space behind him which Jones took advantage of a number of times.

The negatives:

Boyd's butchering of the ball is mind boggling. At times, you'd have no idea who he was actually trying to kick the ball to. Clearance king, good defensive game ... but the turnovers are beyond poor.

Wood's decision making is bad. Really bad. For some of his great work (winning the ball, attack on the contest, marking) he blows it down with horrible decision making and ordinary execution. Not sure if we should persist with him as a defender past this season.

Markovic shouldn't ever play a game for us, unless we've got injuries to every other KPD we have. Why would we play him over Talia tonight? Perfect opportunity for Talia to gain experience on Franklin/Roughead/Gunston. Markovic is a liability with the ball in hand, but he's also incredibly slow which makes him a poor defender. He was woeful tonight, as he so often is.

Cordy. I saved the worst for last, and it seems like it's becoming a regular occurrence that I pot him, but tonight's performance was truly disgraceful. He's no better than Mulligan; he's slow, he's pushed off the ball by players half his size, he can't mark, he doesn't compete, can't chase and has no intensity whatsoever. I'll be livid if he plays round one.

Twodogs
01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
It's been so damn long hasn't it.

It has. Even though it's only a NAB cup game I'll still wake up in the morning and think "We won last night-let's get the papers"

If we put those sorts of efforts in more often we wont have to wait another 250 days

Mantis
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Honest question, did you watch the game?

Honest answer, I was at the game.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Cordy. I saved the worst for last, and it seems like it's becoming a regular occurrence that I pot him, but tonight's performance was truly disgraceful. He's no better than Mulligan; he's slow, he's pushed off the ball by players half his size, he can't mark, he doesn't compete, can't chase and has no intensity whatsoever. I'll be livid if he plays round one.

lemmon
01-03-2013, 11:36 PM

And there was nothing that got you even remotely excited?

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM

Please, Stringer earned the goal himself through multiple efforts, Cordy simply stuck out an arm.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Please, Stringer earned the goal himself through multiple efforts, Cordy simply stuck out an arm.

Watch the replay. Good defensive instance from Cordy in an otherwise ordinary game.

Greystache
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
They were?

We played something other than pay on at all costs, unaccountable, one way running football. That in itself are positive signs.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2013, 11:41 PM

How about that Mark by Jones with one arm. Didn't get excited about that?

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Watch the replay. Good defensive instance from Cordy in an otherwise ordinary game.

I've watched it multiple times. I saw Cordy move a meter in the time that Stringer applied multiple defensive efforts before composing himself and slotting a great goal.

Doc26
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Tonight was pleasing on a few levels. I thought our first quarter was impressive, we moved the ball effectively by foot and were leading to space. It was a simple game -- lead and kick it to the space. No aimless long bombs. I thought that we went back to old habits once Hawthorn challenged us at times, and along with fatigue, started spraying the ball. To counter that, we did fight hard all night and the game looked like blowing out a few times but to their credit, they dug deeper when required and pulled the Hawks back. Obviously this is something we didn't do last season, so that was good to see.

The win was soured with Jake Stringer's injury. I really hope that he's okay, felt sick when he hobbled off. He showed great signs in the very limited game time he had, with great defensive pressure, bone crunching tackles and that spectacular goal. It was only a glimpse but he certainly showed why he was once touted a number one pick -- looks very special.

Goodes was super again. He's a very intelligent player, composed with the ball in hand, wins contests and hits targets. It's a shame he wasn't picked up much earlier, but he looks fantastic -- a seriously good pick-up. Stevens showed a bit in his first game for the club too. Certainly throws his body in, and his skills look pretty neat. Thought he fumbled once or twice, but overall, good signs. Should be a good addition. Lower was solid and used the ball better by foot this week. Good in a contest too, so along with Goodes and Stevens, is another very astute and cheap pick-up.

Libba was fantastic and Smith has improved his disposal by foot. You can't help but love watching Clay play, he's an absolute beast already and that goal was a real pleasant surprise. Jones was super impressive, I wasn't too concerned with his missed shots, and I still think his kicking has improved. Took some great marks and led very well. Along with Stringer's goal, Jones' form was the highlight of the night for mine. It's worth noting that Murphy makes our forward half/structure look a lot better, he obviously provides a hard working/leading target to kick the ball to, but just as important he creates space behind him which Jones took advantage of a number of times.

The negatives:

Boyd's butchering of the ball is mind boggling. At times, you'd have no idea who he was actually trying to kick the ball to. Clearance king, good defensive game ... but the turnovers are beyond poor.

Wood's decision making is bad. Really bad. For some of his great work (winning the ball, attack on the contest, marking) he blows it down with horrible decision making and ordinary execution. Not sure if we should persist with him as a defender past this season.

Markovic shouldn't ever play a game for us, unless we've got injuries to every other KPD we have. Why would we play him over Talia tonight? Perfect opportunity for Talia to gain experience on Franklin/Roughead/Gunston. Markovic is a liability with the ball in hand, but he's also incredibly slow which makes him a poor defender. He was woeful tonight, as he so often is.

Top assessment TBB. Markovic and Cordy are unfortunately a long way off it and Boydy's disposal by foot is no better.

I would also like to mention Johannisen's carry and ability to break lines down back as a positive. For a kid still so young his role will be critical to our structure down back.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2013, 11:44 PM
I've watched it multiple times. I saw Cordy move a meter in the time that Stringer applied multiple defensive efforts before composing himself and slotting a great goal.

um ok. back in a sec.

Eastdog
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM
A great birthday present. I thought our youngsters were great and I hope Stringer and Macrae are a huge success. Always good beating Hawthorn.

divvydan
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM
From Macca's presser

Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs
Stringer. Rolled ankle going for scans - opposite leg to former injury.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Hard to go past TBB's assessments.

One thing I will add is I quite liked seeing Boyd forward at times - think it could be a role he can play a bit to good effect. Not a bad mark for his size and obviously his defensive work is good.

Maddog37
01-03-2013, 11:50 PM
From Macca's presser

Phew!

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2013, 11:50 PM
He added defensive pressure, none the less. Need more of that. But it will take a lot more for him to keep his spot.
Big Will was pretty good in the ruck I thought. Marko is a bit of a worry, but Buddy is always a big ask.

Big Will was very good tonight, it still amazes me that he wasn't top five in the B&F last year. I know Minson has copped some criticism over the journey, but he's been a good player -- particularly since Hudson's departure.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Big Will was very good tonight, it still amazes me that he wasn't top five in the B&F last year. I know Minson has copped some criticism over the journey, but he's been a good player -- particularly since Hudson's departure.

Agreed, got beaten deep by Hale at one stage, but he was good tonight and is a pretty reliable player now.

G-Mo77
01-03-2013, 11:54 PM
First win in how many weeks? NAB cup or not I'll take it. What's the quickest way to watch this game without Pay TV? Would love to watch it tonight. Mrs. is away, beer in the fridge and 5 weeks off work. Would love to start it off with watching a Doggies victory.

Bulldog4life
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Hard to go past TBB's assessments.

One thing I will add is I quite liked seeing Boyd forward at times - think it could be a role he can play a bit to good effect. Not a bad mark for his size and obviously his defensive work is good.

Agree.His interception then handball to Smithy which resulted in a nine pointer was terrific to watch.

Hotdog60
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
He added defensive pressure, none the less. Need more of that. But it will take a lot more for him to keep his spot.
Big Will was pretty good in the ruck I thought. Marko is a bit of a worry, but Buddy is always a big ask.

The thing is it shouldn't have got to Stringer in the first place, Cordy spilled the mark that he should have held. He tries and maybe he tries too hard but he doesn't hold the marks he should.

jeemak
01-03-2013, 11:56 PM
It was good to have a win, it really was. Even if it was just a kick around on a Friday night.

I kind of get the feeling there would be just as many people writing off a good performance from Cordy tonight due to it only being a NAB Cup match, as there are as many people lambasting him for a poor performance even though it's only a NAB Cup match. I'll admit that he put in a couple of very poor efforts, but he also did one or two good things. He just needs to keep working hard.

If you're looking for anything significant from the guy right now you're going to be disappointed. He's coming from so far back it isn't funny, and he just needs games under his belt and time to adjust to his changing body. It's going to take a while for him to get it together, you may as well get used to it and worry about something else.

As was the case with any practice match there was some good and some bad across the board. Boyd really needs the support around him so he can dish it off, and if he wants to show true leadership he'll change his game to a handball first one. Enough's enough, he damages too much by foot.

I liked our pressure, I liked our willingness to keep trying to fight our way back into the game. I didn't like our decision making and disposal, but those are two areas we're not going to improve until we get fitter, stronger and generally more mature after having the teaching work put into us.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2013, 11:59 PM

???

Cordy is about to tackle. Hawthorn have the ball.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aMoIud7vrQo/UTCXHoQ0y7I/AAAAAAAAB-Y/QR9tGOs5vtc/s320/Fullscreen+capture+312013+105120+PM.jpg

Cordy applies tackle. This results in a turnover. The ball spills out. He wraps the guy up. Bit more than sticking his arm out.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-M646NtWneBM/UTCXHZjZoFI/AAAAAAAAB-U/sh9kBKGbb2U/s320/Fullscreen+capture+312013+105143+PM.jpg

As a result of Cordy's effort, the ball flies loose.
Cordy is clearly doing a bit more than sticking his arm out in this frame.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xItTw9t9-7M/UTCXHBbx_cI/AAAAAAAAB-M/2WUGvlZ2Dl0/s320/Fullscreen+capture+312013+105155+PM.jpg

Stringer: scoop, snap, goal.
The goal would not have been scored without the tackle from Ayce and resulting turnover.

lemmon
02-03-2013, 12:00 AM
Surely its semantics, any of us would've laid the same tackle, its hardly a 50 meter chase down

Remi Moses
02-03-2013, 12:03 AM
It was good to have a win, it really was. Even if it was just a kick around on a Friday night.

I kind of get the feeling there would be just as many people writing off a good performance from Cordy tonight due to it only being a NAB Cup match, as there are as many people lambasting him for a poor performance even though it's only a NAB Cup match. I'll admit that he put in a couple of very poor efforts, but he also did one or two good things. He just needs to keep working hard.

If you're looking for anything significant from the guy right now you're going to be disappointed. He's coming from so far back it isn't funny, and he just needs games under his belt and time to adjust to his changing body. It's going to take a while for him to get it together, you may as well get used to it and worry about something else.

As was the case with any practice match there was some good and some bad across the board. Boyd really needs the support around him so he can dish it off, and if he wants to show true leadership he'll change his game to a handball first one. Enough's enough, he damages too much by foot.

I liked our pressure, I liked our willingness to keep trying to fight our way back into the game. I didn't like our decision making and disposal, but those are two areas we're not going to improve until we get fitter, stronger and generally more mature after having the teaching work put into us.agree Jeemak he's coming from a long way back.
He should be out marking Brent Guerra, and he should be clunking more grabs.
Unfortunately not seeing many signs and hope we do .

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Surely its semantics, any of us would've laid the same tackle, its hardly a 50 meter chase down

Semantics is not black and white. That was a tackle that counted. let it be noted and not called anything else. Like ' just sticking an arm out'.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2013, 12:12 AM

Nobody is asking for anything significant, though. We're asking for something that doesn't require you to have played 100 games let alone 1 game -- a tackle, a mark, crashing a pack, some genuine intensity etc.

Cordy is virtually a witches hat, it's got nothing to do with coming from a long way back. I don't see why he should be afforded excuses when he's uncompetitive on every level, and I don't see why he should be picked over Redpath let alone Roberts.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Semantics is not black and white. That was a tackle that counted. let it be noted and not called anything else. Like ' just sticking an arm out'.

You're seriously clutching at straws.

If I was Stringer, I would be offended that you even insist Cordy gave him a goal :p

jeemak
02-03-2013, 12:14 AM
agree Jeemak he's coming from a long way back.
He should be out marking Brent Guerra, and he should be clunking more grabs.
Unfortunately not seeing many signs and hope we do .

Agreed he should outmark a player like Guerra, and I'm not sure I could say he won't stuff up as badly again going forward. I've seen experienced big bodied ruckman/tall forwards made foolish time and time again by smaller, but much smarter players. It's what they do.

The comparison in talent between Cordy and Stringer did make me laugh a little though. Serioulsy, one of them's an animal who was rated good enough to be the top 18 year old in the country last year skills, smarts and talentwise, and the other is a lumbering albeit agile bean pole who was a speculative first rounder picked on potential and has had his prime development time at the club ruined by injury. I just think we need to take a breath.

Rance Fan
02-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Ayce did a couple of ok things, wasnt as bad as last week.!
But....still has a long way to go.
Hope he continues to improve

Moving on..

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
You're seriously clutching at straws.

If I was Stringer, I would be offended that you even insist Cordy gave him a goal :p

Ok then fine. The ball appeared into Jake Stringers hands out of thin air, as if by magic. Moving right along.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Ok then fine. The ball appeared into Jake Stringers hands out of thin air, as if by magic. Moving right along.

Silly me.

Cordy's desperate and thrilling defensive pressure act was the only reason Stringer was able to slot it through. :rolleyes:

Bulldog4life
02-03-2013, 12:27 AM
You can't see past your own bias, to admit what's on the tape. He tackled the guy and the ball turned over! Admit it.

I agree with you GD. Fellow posters let us all not try to prove a point on a player's ability by denying anything that player does is positive and furthermore ignore the bleeding obvious when it appears you were wrong.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-03-2013, 12:28 AM
This win was a huge confidence builder.
Good signs from Goodes Lower and Stevens should ensure us of greater depth in the midfield. Great return from Liberatore who really knows how to find the ball in close with quick hands.Murphy going forward makes a huge difference to our attack. Cooney and Williams will provide experience and will add further strength to the midfield and defence. I would still like to see Roberts played in attack and hope he is selected next week.The fact that we toughed it out for 4 quarters was probably the most significant factor tonight. There was a lot to like about the win. Let's pay a big compliment to BMcC who deserves credit for the spirit he has injected into the Club.

jeemak
02-03-2013, 12:30 AM
I agree with you GD. Fellow posters let us all not try to prove a point on a player's ability by denying anything that player does is positive and furthermore ignore the bleeding obvious when it appears you were wrong.

Hahaha, it's past 10pm and the Bulldogs have just had their first win for almost a year! You might be asking a bit much mate as the locals might be getting a little festive, even if I agree with you!

:D

LostDoggy
02-03-2013, 12:49 AM

I agree with you ED. The effort (how big or small) resulted in a goal. However the original argument was questioning Cordy's intensity.
Do you believe this incident shows intensity or just some effort?

josie
02-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Was at game tonight and think the last post by Nuggety Back Pocket is spot on. Was great to see excited young and oldies hudddled excitedly around race at end. NAB it was however a win is a win and for a mostly young team it was teriffic.

Heard on SEN about 30 mins after game that Stringer rolled ankle, and different than the broken one. So guessing they'll do scans & hopefully it will confirm he is ok. His goal was SO GOOOOOOOD.

Dalhaus was never say die-true bulldogs spirit - I thought he gave us spark to keep coming from behind. And that goal from boundary line was lovely.

Did anyone notice the 35m + handball by Wallis in the last quarter? A gem.

Also even though Jones missed a few they were not sprays like he has historically done and for sure his kicking looks more assured (head staying over ball more and better centre of gravity).

Also thought Libba, Stevens, Clay were good. And Macrae has so much poise and footy smarts. He is also quite tall and looks like his got a frame that will continue to build up.

Not sure either Markovic (slow, clumsy) or Cordy (even though he took a few marks tonight still missed a few too) will make it, and think when season starts if they do not turn things around quickly other talls should get a go ahead of them.

Roughhead ok in backline, lovely to see Morris there too. I thought Easton Wood was ok tonight and showed a bit of grunt and dash, and Goodes and Johanssien both look like they belong in starting line up and in backline.

Can see promising sparks all over ground - spread the word so we have lots of supporters there Round 1.

Go Dogs !!

Bulldog4life
02-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Hahaha, it's past 10pm and the Bulldogs have just had their first win for almost a year! You might be asking a bit much mate as the locals might be getting a little festive, even if I agree with you!

:D

Not worrying about being a little festive Jeemak. Quite the contrary. It just irks me when it is quoted for example that Cordy plays as good as a witches hat. Unnecessary and ridiculous and all it does is make me take what that particular poster says in the future with a grain of salt.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Not worrying about being a little festive Jeemak. Quite the contrary. It just irks me when it is quoted for example that Cordy plays as good as a witches hat. Unnecessary and ridiculous and all it does is make me take what that particular poster says in the future with a grain of salt.

I couldn't care less what you thought of my posts, to be quite honest.

I'll keep making judgements on player performance as I see it -- no sugarcoating.

Bulldog4life
02-03-2013, 01:06 AM
I couldn't care less what you thought of my posts, to be quite honest.

I'll keep making judgements on player performance as I see it -- no sugarcoating.

Good for you. Constructive criticism of players and coaches without sugarcoating I always enjoy reading. I'll be following your posts closely seeing if you have accepted my constructive criticism. ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Good for you. Constructive criticism of players and coaches without sugarcoating I always enjoy reading. I'll be following your posts closely seeing if you have accepted my constructive criticism. ;)

I'd say my last 6 years of posting on this forum since its conception is enough evidence of my constructive, detailed posting of all players and coaches alike. ;)

jeemak
02-03-2013, 01:11 AM

Sorry mate, I was actually agreeing with you.

Bulldog4life
02-03-2013, 01:16 AM
I'd say my last 6 years of posting on this forum since its conception is enough evidence of my constructive, detailed posting of all players and coaches alike. ;)

Agree I enjoy reading your posts. Doesn't mean I agree with all you say or how you say it. Tonight I thought you could have expressed your disappointment with Cordy's game more constructively not with a throw away line about witches hat. We agree to disagree on that point TBB so let's move on.

Bulldog4life
02-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Sorry mate, I was actually agreeing with you.

At least someone does.:)

Dry Rot
02-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Question for those at the ground: What was Jones' leading like?

One commentator tonight thought it was poor.

In contrast, I have read elsewhere that Redpath was working very hard on his leads last week.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Agree I enjoy reading your posts. Doesn't mean I agree with all you say or how you say it. Tonight I thought you could have expressed your disappointment with Cordy's game more constructively not with a throw away line about witches hat. We agree to disagree on that point TBB so let's move on.

That's fair enough.

One thing that hasn't been touched on is Cross' game. I thought it was very good -- he was very clean and used the ball really well. I've been critical of him in the past and have felt his position in the side was shaky, but he's made a good start to the year. Not sure if his role has changed but he's more effective, and I haven't seen him be indecisive which has been his biggest downfall.

I really wish Boyd would replicate Cross and Morris in the way that they distribute the ball. Neither are damaging by foot, but they don't make many mistakes. It's hard to recall Morris ever really making one, to be honest. Very reliable by foot and plays within his limitations.*

* Awesome to see Dale back playing. Hopefully he sticks to playing on smalls (Betts/Milne/Breust types)

bornadog
02-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Just finished watching the second half replay on Foxtel.

The main thing with a win is confidence building. , especially for the young players as well as building more membership.

As for the players tonight, Marcovic really is not up to this level of football. He tries hard but just won't make it at this level.

We still have a long way to go and but great to get some game time into the young players.

On Boyd I thought he played well and of what I saw in the second half had very few clangers, so get off his back.

LostDoggy
02-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Would love to see Redpath play the next couple. Obviously it'd be a young side that goes over to WA soon so it's likely he'd play.

The glimpses Redpath showed last week were promising, particulary his defensive efforts and attack on the ball could see him, coupled with Stringer playing a part in keeping the ball in our 50 when it goes to ground. Coupled with players like Gia, Dal & Jones, and Cooney, Murphy and Higgins rotating through there this could really lead to a potent forward line developing.

Hopefully Redpath isn't a one-glimpse wonder from the last game and he's obviously dependant on the LTI list.

Cordy has to earn his place in the senior side from now on. There's just so many basics he's incapable of currently.

Cordy should be placed back at Williamstown.

DragzLS1
02-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Want to see redpath with stringer and jones up forward but dont think we will as stronger wont be risked. Loved boydy's game except for the turn overs he had but the tackle in the dieing seconds! Favorite part of the game!

Eastdog
02-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Stringer I thought was very exciting tonight and that goal with his first kick was great. Do you guys worry about his legs though.

LostDoggy
02-03-2013, 02:16 AM
Its starting to look like Cordy has lost his nerve to get in a contest. He seemed to often (not always) hang around the contest like an outside player rather than getting amoungst it when its appropriate. I'm starting to think all his shoulder problems have made him gunshy. He's ok in a wrestle which is lateral pressure but it just looks like full pace body contact scenarios are leaving him second guessing. He did move better on the lead tonight sometimes - particularly early on. Not totally writing off a 14 game player but I agree he needs to spend lots of time at willy this year. Such a shame if the constant shoulder pop-outs, constant pain and subsequent fear is inpacting him. Its guesseork but I've seen similar outcomes in a junior grade and he seems to emulate the symptoms to me. Really hope he gets his mojo back as he was a ripper junior.

So many other things to like for the future out of tonight.

Dancin' Douggy
02-03-2013, 02:28 AM

I'm afraid I got carried away. And I loved it.

Remi Moses
02-03-2013, 02:31 AM
Particularly liked Stingers attack on the ball and the player.
Played like his life depended on it.
Seen a few freaky things at Bendigo last year, you just sit back and say wow!
Happy with Jackson, seems more time in the game when he's got it.
Roughy got better as the game went on, and Clay Smith was very good.
Libba was very good all night, and the skipper was superb ( even if that kick was disgraceful)
Just on Hawthorn, I reckon they have to few to do the grunt work.
Besides Lewis, Mitchell, Sewell ( rarely fit Hodge)not much else .

Dry Rot
02-03-2013, 02:32 AM

Lots of justified Stringer love, but I thought Macrae was impressive too.

Smooth as silk and has plenty of time, reminds me of a young Bob Murphy.

G-Mo77
02-03-2013, 02:38 AM
On Boyd I thought he played well and of what I saw in the second half had very few clangers, so get off his back.

I know it's scary but I'm in agreeance with you.

Liked Jones tonight, I've got confidence in him, the shots on goal will come.

Libba was excellent, Smith is going to be a fav among Dogs faithful for many years, Goodes and Dicko were also among our best.

NAB cup game but f' it. I haven't seen a win in what seems like forever. We all should enjoy it!

Dancin' Douggy
02-03-2013, 02:41 AM
A 9 pointer from Clay was a pleasant surprise.
And I know he's got an awkward technique, but watching his kicking tonight............he's pretty reliable.

DragzLS1
02-03-2013, 02:51 AM
A 9 pointer from Clay was a pleasant surprise.
And I know he's got an awkward technique, but watching his kicking tonight............he's pretty reliable.

Clay is a beast his attack on the ball and the man is unbelievable! He tackles hard and he sticks them everytime! Very impressed with how quickly he has developed. Koby Stevens a very similar type player and I like it ;)

Go_Dogs
02-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Just on Cordy, there were two instances that I thought he showed something. First, his leading mark receiving from Jones early, one of the rare occasions I've seen him actually lead, get separation and take an "easy" mark (shame he missed the shot). The second was on the wing where he was front of the pack and held it. Some good work in the contest from both Jones and Minson made his job a bit easier but he still stuck a solid mark. He's got a long way to go, and over balancing taking position and therefore getting out bodied by Guerra was poor but to me that was a balance/coordination issue rather than strength.

Generally our pressure was very good all night. The other pleasing aspect was the number of contributors we had on the scoreboard and our accuracy was also good on a whole.

Still pretty happy with last nights efforts this morning which is a nice change.

GVGjr
02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
There was three positive aspects that stood out for me

- We kept answering the challenge and didn't give up when they got a run on
- Our new players who added a lot around the contests
- Will Minson is getting better as a footballer

We still need to display better skills and decision making and I know we still have a mountain to climb but I like the look of a number of our younger guys.

Go_Dogs
02-03-2013, 08:31 AM
I know we still have a mountain to climb but I like the look of a number of our younger guys.

Hard not to get excited isn't it, our 2010/11/12 draftees look increasingly good and we have a good mix of players we can really build a side around. On top of that, we are still yet to see Hrovat who has had the largest wraps over pre-season of our newest lot.

Bulldog Revolution
02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Question for those at the ground: What was Jones' leading like?

One commentator tonight thought it was poor.

In contrast, I have read elsewhere that Redpath was working very hard on his leads last week.

Jones for me was the number 1 highlight of the game.

He lead and worked hard IMO, presented well, and had a genuine presence about him. And he is generally kicking the ball better.

His performance was a marked improvement from 2012

Hotdog60
02-03-2013, 08:59 AM

The trouble with Boyd is he's very frustrating, I would put Boyd as a better player than Judd if it was not for one reason. 'Disposal'

I can't remember the exact time but for example Smith had won the ball on our HF line and fed out the hand ball which was heading towards 2 or 3 red jumpers going away from our goal. It could have resulted in a shot on goal but for Boyd who was near Smith and intercepted the ball and proceeded to hand over his shoulder towards our goals to a nest of waiting Hawks.
It's things like this that stops him from being a out right superstar. I think Boyd needs to go into the forward line and out of the centre so when he bangs it on the boot at least the only target for him is the goals.

firstdogonthemoon
02-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I have really missed the feeling you get when you wake up the day after the night before and it was a win.

Good win by us I reckon.

I was impressed with a few things;

-Stringer's goal (hope he's OK though)

-Roughead down back

-We fought our way back into the game

-We won a game!!!

SlimPickens
02-03-2013, 10:25 AM
There was three positive aspects that stood out for me

- We kept answering the challenge and didn't give up when they got a run on
- Our new players who added a lot around the contests
- Will Minson is getting better as a footballer

Agree with these will add that I thought our forward line defensive pressure was good, meaning our work rate is getting to the required level. Still a way to go but much better.

Libbas hands and smarts in close was also a highlight for me.

bornadog
02-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Murphy makes a huge difference up forward and with Dickson the half forward line is going to be a lot better this year.

BornInDroopSt'54
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM

The red looks very powerful, especially running in waves, it looks awesome. The Unstoppable Red Army.

Greystache
02-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Loved boydy's game except for the turn overs he had but the tackle in the dieing seconds! Favorite part of the game!

That tackle was sensational, and in a game where the umpires we paying a free against the tackler in nearly every instance for a push in the back, he performed it with perfect technique. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't got more praise.

Just on Cordy, there were two instances that I thought he showed something. First, his leading mark receiving from Jones early, one of the rare occasions I've seen him actually lead, get separation and take an "easy" mark (shame he missed the shot). The second was on the wing where he was front of the pack and held it.

That really stood out for me too. We were carrying the ball into an open 50m with Cordy leading 4 Hawks defenders back to goal, but rather than getting to the goal square and standing still and getting smashed by 4 defenders Cordy doubled back and took an easy mark on the lead. It's one of the few times I've seen Cordy do something that is instinctive for a footballer. I'm not looking for much, just the odd glimpse of some ability from Cordy, and that moment was a glimpse.

I thought Libba was outstanding too, I haven't looked at his stats but I thought he won the ball and used it really well.

We look so much better as a team when we have forwards presenting to the ball carrier. Jones lead really hard, Murphy provided an option, Dahlhaus worked hard, and Dickson looked dangerous, an all of a sudden our ball movement looked better across the ground. With Williams in for Cordy I think we'll look better again.

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Jones for me was the number 1 highlight of the game.

He lead and worked hard IMO, presented well, and had a genuine presence about him. And he is generally kicking the ball better.

His performance was a marked improvement from 2012

And how do you like the haircut revolution?:D

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 11:23 AM
I agree with you ED. The effort (how big or small) resulted in a goal. However the original argument was questioning Cordy's intensity.
Do you believe this incident shows intensity or just some effort?

It was a pretty normal tackle and not very intense. But Greystache is on the money; any effort that shows improvement is what we want.

From memory he had 0 stats last week. This week he had 8 and a tackle that resulted in a turnover.

Today, people are lauding the effort of Liam Jones. Last season people were lambasting him and saying he would never make it. Given time, it might be Cordy with the one handed grab, you never know. Tall guys just need more time to develop. But again, Greystache is spot on. he just needs to show improvement in each game, no matter how small.

EasternWest
02-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Ha ha. No worries mate. ;).

That really stood out for me too. We were carrying the ball into an open 50m with Cordy leading 4 Hawks defenders back to goal, but rather than getting to the goal square and standing still and getting smashed by 4 defenders Cordy doubled back and took an easy mark on the lead. It's one of the few times I've seen Cordy do something that is instinctive for a footballer. I'm not looking for much, just the odd glimpse of some ability from Cordy, and that moment was a

Actually, just on Cordy, I know I said he was a worry, but there was a play later in the game where he was behind the contest as the ball was coming down. He was never going to mark it, but he crashed the pack and caused the ball to spill out of bounds. I was impressed by his commitment on that occasion.

LostDoggy
02-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Was there last night, really enjoyed the fact that we didn't give up and didn't let them get too far ahead. So good to see us get back in front every single time, a real difference.
Gives a lot of hope as these boys grow and mature.
Loved seeing Morris back.
The doggies supporters around us where all very happy with a win, NAB cup or not!

Maddog37
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Gia is moving alot better.

I reckon Cross will have a very big year too.

Our team defense was much better and we were patient with the ball/better decisions.

Marko, not a key defender. He looked more spritely last week.

Cannot wait to see Hrovat and Hunter now after the impact Jake and Jackson have had. Hrovat will love AFL footy style.

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 11:49 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2013/03/01/4075167/art-353-wbAFLdogminson-300x0.jpg

Will Minson was fantastic last night. Smashed it in the ruck.

lemmon
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Actually, just on Cordy, I know I said he was a worry, but there was a play later in the game where he was behind the contest as the ball was coming down. He was never going to mark it, but he crashed the pack and caused the ball to spill out of bounds. I was impressed by his commitment on that occasion.

On the boundary on the wing? I remember being impressed by the same, moved well and hit the pack hard

Hotdog60
02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2013/03/01/4075167/art-353-wbAFLdogminson-300x0.jpg

Agreed, he was a bit stiff with some free kicks he gave away and one blemish with a kick out of bounds. But he presented well and covered a lot of ground.

Dog54
02-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Minson will have a breakout year and will often give us first advantage. The key will be that first entry inside fifty. I think with Murphy adjusting back into the forward post he will create space and also more respect from opposition defenders. Jones not being able to convert will really hurt us this year.

LostDoggy
02-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Here, here.
I think Will is going to finish 2013 very high in the league ruck rankings. There was a period last night where he owed the middle.

Boyd's disposal is starting to get ridiculous. It isn't even going to a 2 on 1 anymore (2opp to 1dog). They are going straight to opposition players on their own! Fair dinkum if he didn't throw his heart and soul into every other aspect of his game, I'd be looking into him for match fixing. It is that bad at times.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Minson will have a breakout year and will often give us first advantage.

Minson had a breakout year last year IMO.

Anyone who bothers paying attention to my posts knows the massive difference I believe there is between the 1st ruck role and the back up ruck/forward role. Since Hudson's retirement, Will has really been great evidence of the difference.

I would have been happy to release him to GC for nothing when they came in, happy to admit I was very wrong. IMO he is around the top 5 ruckmen in league mark.

LostDoggy
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Highlights for me were -

Nos around the contest. Significantly better organised.

Murphy to the forward line. Creates run and wheels around into space. However he inevitably finds against the top sides there will be no space for him. We've got to find someone else to do this creative play making in the future.

Dahl....does his best work forward of centre. Creates run. He can be a true goal sneak as well as a defensive tyro.

Dickson. Fantastic defensive work and works very hard, but gives away frees and looked sore at times. Will need to be looked after if we want him to produce at or above last year's level.

JJ. Lots to learn but is prepared to take risks and run.

Jones. You can see the talent. He will have up and down days because he doesn't have other big experienced forwards like Barry Hall to help him out.

Smith. Great game but I have seen him give little 1 metre handballs to a stationary player a couple of times now.

Red gear was absolutely fantastic. Loved it. I hate white gear on any team. It just looks so insipid.

Sedat
02-03-2013, 12:40 PM
The positives last night were obvious - all of them were individual related, whether it be acts of brilliance or significant improvement from certain players. But the glaring concern still remains - we pulverised Hawthorn at the stoppages and in the clearances and yet we barely scraped over the line against a team who are weeks behind us in preparation and are clearly treating the NAB Cup with disdain as they have far bigger fish to fry. BMac has to start imposing his style onto games and against the opposition coach. Our ball movement remains slow, stilted and cumbersome, and we continue to put twice as much effort in our forward thrusts as the opposition do but for less return. Individual improvement in young talent is an expectation, not a bonus. I hope that our coaching panel can start to dictate the flow of games on a more consistent basis moving forward.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Markovic seems like a good bloke who gives his all etc so I don't wanna lay into him but he really isn't up to it. I get having a mature body there to help develop the kids but IMO his limitations actually put more pressure on the kids then his maturity helps them out.

Up against bigger bodied forwards Markovic is 'suited' to play on I would have Roughy, Talia, Austin, Morris and Roberts (if not forward) ahead of him for either ability or developmental reasons.

Wood and Young can also free up others to play on taller/big bodied options.

That's 7 medium to tall defenders.

EasternWest
02-03-2013, 01:09 PM
On the boundary on the wing? I remember being impressed by the same, moved well and hit the pack hard

Yeah. He had to go hard, and he did.

Remi Moses
02-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Agreed, he was a bit stiff with some free kicks he gave away and one blemish with a kick out of bounds. But he presented well and covered a lot of ground.

What's happened to Hale's road kill?

F'scary
02-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks for commentary/reveiws/debate. Missed the game altogether due to commitments. Really appreciate the read.

Sounds like we might be starting to play as team a bit more.

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 02:36 PM
. Our ball movement remains slow, stilted and cumbersome, and we continue to put twice as much effort in our forward thrusts as the opposition do but for less return.

Part of this is Hawthorn were playing catch up footy for parts of the game. They needed to get it down their end quickly, and had quality forwards who are up to the task of marking high, long balls.
Their forward line was better than ours. so to compare the two, sure we looked a bit stilted.
However, on our own merits, I can recall several quick passages in play, ( Smith, Dahlhaus ) and with a fairly young team ( avg 52 games ) we have to expect a bit of the jitters ? In the past we have looked slow and wonky by foot, but tonight, part of that was just inexperience. MaCrae for example, who we know is a great kick, spraying the ball wide.

SonofScray
02-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Just watched the replay, wish I had've gone.

My first thoughts at game's end were that Stevens seems a good pick up and that Lower and Goodes put themselves about nicely. Either of them could be regulars on current efforts. Look hungry and played a physically robust game which we all love.

Other than that, I was pleased we were able to score a few goals from stoppages, which we just don't seem to do much anymore. Those goals that just happen from a contested situation rather than your more run of the mill, methodical methods. Still not scoring very freely but I saw some potential for that to occur. JJ off of HB running deep for instance.

Also, we stayed in the game through scoring on the back of various efforts. It has been disheartening to know that a team can go 2 goals up and we've been broken. I liked that we were able to go tit for tat at least.

Bulldog Revolution
02-03-2013, 03:17 PM

Not a style I'll be looking to emulate personally GD but if he goes about his footy with that level of purpose then he can do whatever he likes

What did you think of his game?

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Not a style I'll be looking to emulate personally GD but if he goes about his footy with that level of purpose then he can do whatever he likes

What did you think of his game?

I'm not sure I have enough hair on top to emulate that one!:D
Obviously better in the second half. Dropped a few sitters. Notice he is pretty vocal, pointing and communicating to the team - looks lively and working quite hard. The most important thing is the kicking action looks a lot better. Doesn't seem to be scooping it like last season.

One handed grab and goal will be a good confidence booster for him.

Bulldog4life
02-03-2013, 04:25 PM
News in @JStringer9 scans show bone bruising and minor ligament damage. Very pleased to say we'll see the pup back 3-4 wks @westernbulldogs

On Bulldogs twitter. Good news.

w3design
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM

It is absolutely appalling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst thing I have seen on a football field since massed mullets...... No come to think of it, it is even worse than that.
Do we now have a local ordinance against any display of individuality what so ever ??

If you cannot see their jumper numbers, you can't tell one player from another.

My first thought was that the Whitten Oval must have a serious problem with head-lice/nits.
Hope the treatment works, and we can get back to having players that don't look like they came off a rubber stamp.http://www.woof.net.au/forum/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.woof.net.au/forum/images/icons/icon13.gifhttp://www.woof.net.au/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif

bornadog
02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Boyd's disposal is starting to get ridiculous.

I am going to have to completely disagree with you. ONE ball was a shocker and under no pressure went straight to the opposition. A couple of kicks when he was tackled, may have ended up with Hawthorn players but out of 30 disposals I would say no more than three in total.

For gods sakes posters (not just you HM), instead of focusing on the one or two errors players make, have a look at the positive impacts.

kruder
02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Really liked the new recruits. Goodes field kicking is refreshing and Stevens and Lower will help take off the pressure of the young midfield group coming through.

Early days but I have a feeling that the 2012 draft could well be up there with 99. On the negative side though our key defenders are a massive concern and on what I saw last night Williams who is needed in the forward line may well be more needed down back.

Hotdog60
02-03-2013, 05:58 PM
I am going to have to completely disagree with you. ONE ball was a shocker and under no pressure went straight to the opposition. A couple of kicks when he was tackled, may have ended up with Hawthorn players but out of 30 disposals I would say no more than three in total.

For gods sakes posters (not just you HM), instead of focusing on the one or two errors players make, have a look at the positive impacts.

Matthew Boyd Effective Disposal Percentage 58.1%,Time on Ground 90%
Clay Smith Effective Disposal Percentage 93.7%, Time on Ground 78%

I like our captain and as I said in a previous post he could be an absolute superstar but for one small problem.

w3design
02-03-2013, 06:11 PM
I got to watch 4 quarters of footy yesterday. What a relief after a long dry summer.

Went to the WO for the Williamstown/W'bee clash first.
Missed the first Q of the seniors [ damnable Melb. traffic !!! Took me 1 hour to reach Melb., then over 1.5 hours then to get to the ground... would have been faster if I had walked].

Could only stay for the first 1/4 of the ressies, in order to get to Docklands for the Dog's match.

Just a few observations and feelings on what I saw over all.

VFL Sen's. match
1. I watch quite a bit of VFL each season.....this was supposed to be a pre season practice match. The pressure from both sides was finals like. If that is an indication of how footy will be played this season at all senior levels, guys are really going to earn every kick they get.

2. I hope we have a good crack at getting S West back as the Footscray VFL coach next season. Not the first occasion where I have been impressed with his coaching.

Now I did not take any notes at all, so this is just a couple of my gut reactions recalled 24 hrs. later:

Tutt... did a few nice things, has good pace, but needs to stay in the game a bit more... will come.

Alex Greenwood... gets better every time I watch him... a real goer. Still too slight, and learning, but is progressing nicely.

D. Pearce... really like this kid. Could see he, JJ and Goodes providing good HBF options between them.

C. Howard... While I have not been particularly complimentary, and had serious doubts of late, at this level he shows some nice things. He needs to do it at AFL level, and for a lot more of the match, not just flick in an out periodically.

L Jong.... Like this kid, and what he gives. Still very raw, with a lot to learn, but well worth persisting with.

Veszpremi... Nah ! Several years down the track, and he still does not have the tank even for VFL level. Last season for mine.

F Roberts... Big fan of this kid [ despite the hair cut.. ha, ha]. Still needs a major job done on his upper body by Andy Barnett and Co. Looks stronger in the legs this season, but that only emphasises
how much work his torso and arms still need. Not yet sadly, as we need a FF.

Among the rest :

J Redpath... afraid I laugh a bit when posters push his barrow as our answer up forward. Look I like his positives, and hold out some hope for him... in time.
But right now he is struggling at the second level. Has further to go than Lin J before he is any kind of an option at AFL level.

T Campbell... For mine, strictly a 1st ruck option. And while big Will is there and performing to the level he has over recent years, there is no vacancy. As to 2nd ruck. For all the criticism Cordy gets on this forum, he is streets ahead of TC as a F/pocket/2nd ruck.

That leaves me with J Grant... Sorry last ever season at AFL level !!! Tries still to do the spectacular. If it does not come off, he just stands there with his hands on his hips and looks like he is sulking. Simply does not chase, and lets his opponent take the ball and run off with no pressure at all.
No doubt he has all the skills in the world, but seem to resolutely refuse to work. Sadly looks like just more of the same this year so far.

VFL Ressies.

Only saw the first 1/4....... Hunter and Pruden. Don't know how they went after that.
Prudden tried really hard, ran around a lot and achieved not a great deal, other than to blow himself up pretty much in the first 15 mins. Loved his enthusiasm and effort, but his fitness level has a long way to go. Needs another pre-season on the track, and another year in the gym. But there looks like there is a bit there for the coaches/trainers to work with.

Hunter... he is noticeably fitter at present, and is clearly already above VFL reserves standard. I will be most surprised if he is not in the Willy firsts by R 1.

AFL match .... Hoooooray !!

If you take out Buddy, and replace him with an average league FF, we won that quite handsomely.

Think some of you guys need to be a little more patient with Cordy, experience, and body development wise he is still just a big kid. Unlike some, I think he will develop better and faster at this level than he would at VFL level. But he needs to be a 2nd ruck/F pocket , not FF. Those that want him out, who fills the 2nd ruck role then? ..... Clearly Roughy is now a backman. Jones is just starting to develop as a key forward, so pulling him out all the time, and risking injury, as he is not particularly skilled or experienced in the ruck, is simply not worth the risk.
That leaves Campbell. No need to repeat my comments from above. If that swap were done, you would go backwards at AFL, and Cordy would have to play 1st ruck at Willy, and would not get the development time he needs in the role we need him to play for the Dogs.

Be patient my friends.

Ghost Dog
02-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Be patient my friends.

Thank God, some logic at last.
Thanks for the write up PaulV. Good reading.

w3design
02-03-2013, 06:17 PM
OOpps that should have read 8 1/4's. My miss.

Bulldog4life
02-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Enjoyed reading your post Paulv.

bornadog
02-03-2013, 06:42 PM
OOpps that should have read 8 1/4's. My miss.

Thankyou for the update and your observations.

Greystache
02-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I heard Talia was close to BOG but was taken off at 1/2 time, I assume to rest him for next week.