PDA

View Full Version : Dogs sweat on Stringer

bornadog
03-03-2013, 05:15 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-03-02/dogs-sweat-on-stringer)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/276780-tlsnewsportrait_zps7393ba50.jpg+

E6g7gNd28Sw

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are sweating on scans to determine the severity of an injury to prized draftee Jake Stringer.

The 18-year-old rolled his ankle and was subbed off during the fourth quarter of the Bulldogs' one-point win over Hawthorn at Etihad Stadium on Friday night.

His departure from the ground sent a scare through the Dogs camp, given Stringer badly broke his leg as a junior.

But the injury was to the opposite leg to that which was broken.

Stringer, the fifth pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft, had started his first game in Bulldogs colours as the sub, and kicked a superb snap goal with his first kick before the mishap.

"It was unfortunate, because he was looking like he was going to get his hands on the ball," Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney said.

"We'll get some scans and find out [the severity of the injury] quite soon; probably tomorrow morning."

McCartney said the Bulldogs would regain gun midfielder Adam Cooney for next week's clash with Fremantle in Mandurah, after he was rested from the drought-breaking win with a minor hip complaint.

And the Bulldogs coach said forward Shaun Higgins would sit out again next round, but would play the following week.

bornadog
03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
4 weeks at this stage, so a bit of a set back for the youngster. I was looking forward to seeing him over the next few weeks.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2013, 09:56 PM
4 weeks at this stage, so a bit of a set back for the youngster. I was looking forward to seeing him over the next few weeks.

Yep, I guess it could have been worse though. I think I speak for a few of us that we certainly feared the worst when we first saw it!

craigsahibee
04-03-2013, 09:50 AM
I must admit to watching the bench for most of the final quarter to see if I could see any signs. Apparently he was in the rooms.

I'll take 4 weeks.

LostDoggy
04-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Yep, I guess it could have been worse though. I think I speak for a few of us that we certainly feared the worst when we first saw it!

Never seen a crowd go so silent so fast. Lots of hopes and dreams rest on this kids head - doesn't help that the goal he kicked was just so damn good!

Mofra
04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Was away this weekend - just watched that video 4 times.

Minor setback for the kid, damn he looks impressive

F'scary
04-03-2013, 01:49 PM
I hope he is not another Tom Williams.

Bulldog Joe
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM

Now there is no need for that sort of sentiment after 1 game.:rolleyes:

WBFC4FFC
04-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Now there is no need for that sort of sentiment after 1 game.:rolleyes:

True but I must admit I too thought of Tom when Stringer went down.

PS: Can we expect Tom in the line-up come Round 1?

MrMahatma
04-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Thought in the Draftees episode recently posted he looked to run a bit awkwardly as his natural run.

Broken leg related?
Or am I just being paranoid?

Go_Dogs
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Thought in the Draftees episode recently posted he looked to run a bit awkwardly as his natural run.

Broken leg related?
Or am I just being paranoid?

There's been quite a bit of speculation about this. My best summation is he had a slight gait in his run pre-injury and is a little worse post but has improved from its worst. Hopefully it's something that continues to improve.

*Anyone please feel free to correct me.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2013, 10:25 PM

The story coming out of the MC is that it will help get him fitter which seems to suggest that his fitness level may have been a contributing factor in his injury. There is little doubt that he is a talent which is badly needed up forward

F'scary
05-03-2013, 01:29 PM
One thing I liked about Stringer's goal was that it looked very similar to some of the stuff he did in his highlights package. Looks like the step up to AFL will be very small for him.

Just hope he is not injury prone.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-03-2013, 03:34 PM

There is some excellent anti-anxiety medication that I would recommend to a robot such as yourself. It really addresses worry, you won't know yourself. It may have an adverse effect on your libido, but who needs sex. You may even find hope for Ayce Cordy and bring him in from that roundabout.

F'scary
05-03-2013, 03:37 PM
There is some excellent anti-anxiety medication that I would recommend to a robot such as yourself. It really addresses worry, you won't know yourself. It may have an adverse effect on your libido, but who needs sex.

If Stringer is injury prone or not is my greatest worry, then I'll pass on your offer. As for the libido, let me assure that the problem is in hand.

wb_age
07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
@abby_gilmore: My poor darling. Looking much better today though ! �� #nomoreinjuriesthanks @JStringer9 http://t.co/VXniCa72yw

Doesn't look pretty

http://t.co/VXniCa72yw

boydogs
07-03-2013, 11:14 PM
@abby_gilmore: My poor darling. Looking much better today though ! �� #nomoreinjuriesthanks @JStringer9 http://t.co/VXniCa72yw

Doesn't look pretty

Yeah, might be sore for a bit :(

Thanks for posting

Mofra
08-03-2013, 10:57 AM
As for the libido, let me assure that the problem is in hand.
Literally?

:p

Mofra
08-03-2013, 11:01 AM

Doesn't look pretty

Interesting - that bruising near the sole of the foot is exactly what happened to mine three weeks ago when I rolled mine, with the light yellow bruising around the "sore" bits.
Sounds like they're taking it pretty gently with him, I've just gotten over a (minor) torn muscle and I'm already back doing sprint work, riding and leg weights.

Axe Man
08-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I've had my ankle look like that and not even missed a week, soft!:p

Wonder if it was taped?

Bulldog Joe
13-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Good news is that Jake is back running and his recovery is ahead of schedule.

Bulldog4life
13-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Thanks BJ. Great news.

LostDoggy
13-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Great :), but it doesn't have to be.

Baby steps please ;)

LostDoggy
13-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Great :), but it doesn't have to be.

Baby steps please ;)

She'll be right. Remember he is 19 isn't he? At that age you can roll your ankle in a Saturday footy match and still be ok to hit the dance floor on Saturday night.

jeemak
14-03-2013, 01:12 AM
She'll be right. Remember he is 19 isn't he? At that age you can roll your ankle in a Saturday footy match and still be ok to hit the dance floor on Saturday night.

I remember Stringer's age working hospitality on the floor on the night after chipping a bone in my ankle during our last game of the season, and rolling up to the next preseason and getting straight into it after an off-season of debauchery! Players are soft these days!*

*By the time preseason came around I was fatter than I had been for a while and I didn't ever play footy as well as I had previously, but I'm sure that was coincidence only. :p

Let's just let him stick to the schedule, and come back two or three weeks into the season to be sure. He's a prize that needs to be treated with consideration and care.

BulldogBelle
14-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Not trying to string you all along but he'll be on the Footy Show tonight with a bunch of young gun draftees apparently. Knowing TFS though, he'll be on 3/4 of the way through the show as they usually leave the quality until last!