PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - 2013 NAB Cup Round 3 - Fremantle

Eastdog
06-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Match discussion for our 3rd round match this Saturday. We are out of the running to play in the final as we have only won one match.

LostDoggy
06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Will be interesting to see if we run the game out if its as hot as they are predicting, hoping Hrovat might get a game this week too.

LostDoggy
06-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I know the game isn't televised but is there any radio coverage?

Remi Moses
06-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Is there a game next week?

Eastdog
06-03-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm guessing the final will be decided after Round 3.

Bulldog Joe
06-03-2013, 04:25 PM
I know the game isn't televised but is there any radio coverage?

Pretty sure the game this week is on Fox Footy

Greystache
06-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Pretty sure the game this week is on Fox Footy

Really? I've checked the guide and there's other games on at the time we're playing.

Eastdog
06-03-2013, 04:40 PM
What time does the game start?

Bulldog Joe
06-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Really? I've checked the guide and there's other games on at the time we're playing.

You're right.

Thought I had seen us listed on Fox when I looked earlier in the week, but we are dudded again, with no TV coverage.

Also no radio coverage listed at this point but would expect WA radio to do a broadcast. They will however, only know Freo names. Nic Lower and Koby Stevens the most likely Bulldog players to get commentators attention.

Eastdog
06-03-2013, 04:50 PM
You're right.

Thought I had seen us listed on Fox when I looked earlier in the week, but we are dudded again, with no TV coverage.

Also no radio coverage listed at this point but would expect WA radio to do a broadcast. They will however, only know Freo names. Nic Lower and Koby Stevens the most likely Bulldog players to get commentators attention.

You would think that Fox Footy as you pay for it would have very game live including all the NAB Cup.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Pretty poor that in today's age, with the recent broadcast rights etc. that they can't even televise all of the NAB Cup games.

BulldogBelle
06-03-2013, 06:11 PM
l have just connected to foxtel for the Dogs games and the second week l have it the game is not televised. Just sent an email to foxtel asking why it is not on.

If you have foxtel send the an email asking why it's not on - Why Not!

Go_Dogs
06-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Any WA based Woofers planning on making the trip down to see the game?

bulldogsfight
06-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Maybe on Radio 6PR,

Eastdog
06-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Does SEN have it live maybe?

Cyberdoggie
06-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Macca's presser last week mentioned he would select more of a mix of young and old players to give them experience with travelling etc.

Throughandthrough
07-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Far out. I didn't even realise. I'm in Perth this week but heading home and won't be going to the match.

SlimPickens
07-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Going to be an interesting thread with no ability to listen or watch the game....twitter feed here we come ;)

SlimPickens
07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Squad for Saturday....very young side!
Full team list:

1 JARRAD GRANT
3 MITCH WALLIS
6 LUKE DAHLHAUS
8 PATRICK VESZPREMI
10 EASTON WOOD
11 JACKSON MACRAE
14 CLAY SMITH
15 JASON TUTT
17 ADAM COONEY
20 DANIEL PEARCE
21 TOM LIBERATORE
23 JORDAN ROUGHEAD
25 KOBY STEVENS
29 TORY DICKSON
30 CHRISTIAN HOWARD
31 TOM YOUNG
32 MICHAEL TALIA
33 NICK LOWER
34 ALEX GREENWOOD
37 LUKAS MARKOVIC
39 JASON JOHANNISEN
43 JACK REDPATH
44 BRETT GOODES
45 TOM CAMPBELL
46 LIN JONG
47 MARK AUSTIN
49 AYCE CORDY

Mantis
07-03-2013, 05:19 PM
^^^^

Very young indeed, oldest player would be one who is yet to play a senior game... however still no room for Roberts, is he injured?

Eastdog
07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Good to see we are giving the youngsters a go and good to see Cooney back.

DragzLS1
07-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Damn! THat is pretty much our 2nd team! Good to see them all getting a run :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-03-2013, 06:01 PM
^^^^

Very young indeed, oldest player would be one who is yet to play a senior game... however still no room for Roberts, is he injured?

We are light on for talent and experience without Boyd Griffen Murphy Morris Cross Minson and Williams. Like you I was hoping that Roberts would have played particularly without Jones as well up forward. An opportunity to see who might emerge from the younger brigade.

Go_Dogs
07-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Agree with the comments about Fletcher, must be carrying something otherwise surely he'd be on the plane. Shame there's no coverage as it would've been interesting to see how such a young team performs.

Cyberdoggie
07-03-2013, 06:27 PM
^^^^

I wonder who will captain the side? Cooney?

Good to see the kids getting a go and learning a bit about travelling etc.

Just hope we don't get demoralized by a rampaging Pavlich who might be back.

Also doesn't leave many for the Williamstown game on tomorrow afternoon.
Maybe Hunter, Prudden, Hrovat, and a couple of others might play a short game like Higgins,?

MrMahatma
07-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Shame no Jones. Looked like he was getting some momentum.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
07-03-2013, 07:41 PM
l have just connected to foxtel for the Dogs games and the second week l have it the game is not televised. Just sent an email to foxtel asking why it is not on.

If you have foxtel send the an email asking why it's not on - Why Not!

I rang Foxtel and during a 13 minute call was told that the game couldn't be televised from the location (!) and then that it will be on free to air. It's not on free to air so I registered my complaint and will follow it up with an email. I might even call again to get the latest excuse.

Remi Moses
07-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Sure I read in the H/S that they're doing all games live!

BulldogBelle
07-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Any WA based Woofers planning on making the trip down to see the game?

I might go down from Perth. Game starts at Saturday 3:30 pm WST. I work Sat nights but it could work out OK.

May try to get some video.

Eastdog
07-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I might go down from Perth. Game starts at Saturday 3:30 pm WST. I work Sat nights but it could work out OK.

Yeah that would be good but if not then I think the Bulldogs website will have some footage. I agree with the sentiment here about fox footy not having all games live. I'll be out at my cousin's wedding on Saturday night so it won't matter to much for me and at least it's only a practice match.

LostDoggy
07-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know what is wrong with Tom Williams?
He is key to our setup either up forward or down back - would love to see him get some games under his belt and i expected to see him in the NAB Cup...

Go_Dogs
08-03-2013, 12:07 AM

Nice work, I recall you getting some footage last time, look forward to that and your detailed report after the game :D

wb_age
08-03-2013, 04:51 AM
I rang Foxtel and during a 13 minute call was told that the game couldn't be televised from the location (!) and then that it will be on free to air. It's not on free to air so I registered my complaint and will follow it up with an email. I might even call again to get the latest excuse.
I also signed up for foxtel on March 1st, but i cant help but think your complaints are completely ridiculous. Prior to signing up to foxtel I looked at the broadcast schedule and our game vs freo was NEVER going to be broadcasted on any channel! You can complain all you like, however you are getting exactly what you signed up for. Your complaints are a complete waste of time as they will be fruitless.

KT31
08-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Does anyone know what is wrong with Tom Williams?
He is key to our setup either up forward or down back - would love to see him get some games under his belt and i expected to see him in the NAB Cup...

Believe it has something to do with an ankle.
Hopefully will be OK for round one.
To injury prone to rely on as a keyplayer, club needs to look at other options.
Great for us when we get him on the park, but we can't be in a situation where we need to be putting plan B in place every second week.

LostDoggy
08-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I would settle for just having it televised, live or otherwise.

LostDoggy
08-03-2013, 11:02 AM
I also signed up for foxtel on March 1st, but i cant help but think your complaints are completely ridiculous. Prior to signing up to foxtel I looked at the broadcast schedule and our game vs freo was NEVER going to be broadcasted on any channel! You can complain all you like, however you are getting exactly what you signed up for. Your complaints are a complete waste of time as they will be fruitless.

Agree.

There was 3 games not televised last week. Melb/Port, Gold Coast/North and GWS/Bris

We are one of 4 games not televised this week.

Atleast we arent Melbourne/Port Adelaide who won't have there match televised 2 weeks in a row.

Relax people!

Axe Man
08-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Talk about first world problems, not being able to watch a meaningless NAB cup game involving our seconds playing Freo! It would be nice if it was on but I'm not going to be losing any sleep over it. In fact I'm certain that during this season I will be choosing not to watch portions of our games (and probably some entire games) as many will not be pretty.

Sounds like some people are suggesting that it's just us getting a raw deal. Of the 9 games last week, 3 weren't telecast. This week 4 aren't being telecast. The only regional game that has been telecast was Essendon v Richmond. At least we were on TV last week, Melbourne, Port and Gold Coast will have no coverage 2 weeks in a row.

Edit: Jaytee beat me to it!

G-Mo77
08-03-2013, 12:00 PM
We should do an Essendon 2012 and give a reason not to fly over. I would rather have a scratch match at W.O. although it's suppose to be pretty hot there this weekend.

I was hoping to see Fletch before the end of the NAB series so it's disappointing he's not going to play, maybe carrying an injury? Don't care about the result just want to get away without an injury.

What are the plans for next week? Rest?

DragzLS1
08-03-2013, 01:19 PM
We wopuld play a friendly next week aswell I would say while the other teams play the NAB final. WOuldnt mind seeing the young kids get another go before all teh seniors come back in round 1 against Brisbane (where we will win by 36 points, im confident)

bornadog
08-03-2013, 02:04 PM
We wopuld play a friendly next week aswell I would say while the other teams play the NAB final. WOuldnt mind seeing the young kids get another go before all teh seniors come back in round 1 against Brisbane (where we will win by 36 points, im confident)

Don't we normally play a Victorian regional match? I have been to Shepp to watch the boys in the past.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-03-2013, 04:19 PM
We should do an Essendon 2012 and give a reason not to fly over. I would rather have a scratch match at W.O. although it's suppose to be pretty hot there this weekend.

I was hoping to see Fletch before the end of the NAB series so it's disappointing he's not going to play, maybe carrying an injury? Don't care about the result just want to get away without an injury.

What are the plans for next week? Rest?

From what I heard during week, we will be playing at maybe VISY or Craigiburn, either Friday around 4pm or Saturday arvo

G-Mo77
08-03-2013, 05:17 PM
From what I heard during week, we will be playing at maybe VISY or Craigiburn, either Friday around 4pm or Saturday arvo

If it's Saturday I think I'll make the trip. I get back from Tassie on Friday night so I can't make it to a Friday game.

Cyberdoggie
08-03-2013, 05:46 PM
This is the Freo squad.

It's their last practice game before the start of the season so they are going pretty much full strength.

Full squad:
1 Hayden Ballantyne
3 Zac Dawson
4 Jayden Pitt
6 Danyle Pearce
7 Nat Fyfe
8 Nick Suban
9 Matt de Boer
10 Michael Walters
12 Jon Griffin
13 Tendai Mzungu
15 Ryan Crowley
16 David Mundy
17 Hayden Crozier
18 Luke McPharlin
21 Michael Barlow
23 Chris Mayne
26 Kepler Bradley
27 Lachie Neale
29 Matthew Pavlich
30 Zac Clarke
32 Stephen Hill
33 Cam Sutcliffe
34 Lee Spurr
37 Michael Johnson
41 Paul Duffield
44 Jesse Crichton
46 Clancee Pearce

Greystache
08-03-2013, 05:51 PM
For those interested Williamstown is playing again tonight, it's at Whitten Oval I believe.

Cyberdoggie
08-03-2013, 06:50 PM
For those interested Williamstown is playing again tonight, it's at Whitten Oval I believe.

Any idea what dogs are playing? if any?

Greystache
08-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Any idea what dogs are playing? if any?

Not really sorry. I might be able to get a brief report at some stage however.

G-Mo77
08-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Hrovat played and was pretty good from what I've heard. Hunter and Prudden also played.

Greystache
08-03-2013, 07:39 PM
According to Twitter Williams has 4 goals at 3/4 time.

LostDoggy
08-03-2013, 08:08 PM
According to Twitter Williams has 4 goals at 3/4 time.
Don't think it s Tom Willams Willy have a Leigh Willams, wish it was Tom

Greystache
08-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Ah ok thanks, I didn't think Tom was back playing.

G-Mo77
08-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Don't spoil our fun, it was Tommy. :p

The Coon Dog
08-03-2013, 10:27 PM
According to the Dog's Twitter account, there will be a radio broadcast of tomorrow's game through afl.com.au

w3design
08-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Don't spoil our fun, it was Tommy. :p

Nah, sorry.
Only 4 Dogs played: Hrovat, Prudden,Vez. and Hunter.

Fletch. R. was there as an observer, and I heard him tell some one who asked, that he had a minor hip complaint, but that it was not a major worry at all.

jeemak
08-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Nah, sorry.
Only 4 Dogs played: Hrovat, Prudden,Vez. and Hunter.

Fletch. R. was there as an observer, and I heard him tell some one who asked, that he had a minor hip complaint, but that it was not a major worry at all.

Vez?

How'd he go? Puffing more than he should be?

LostDoggy
09-03-2013, 12:49 AM

Perhaps reconsider your username

Remi Moses
09-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Vez?

How'd he go? Puffing more than he should be?

In the heat as well!:eek:
Vez might be the first footballer to self combust on the field

jeemak
09-03-2013, 01:17 AM
In the heat as well!:eek:
Vez might be the first footballer to self combust on the field

Ha, I'm actually a Vez fan. Even before he came to the Dogs I hoped he'd make it as a footballer. And I still really want him to.

I'm just concerned that he's not got the required tank, work ethic or head to build a base solid enough to put himself forward as a league footballer.

He has the talent in spades.

Remi Moses
09-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Ha, I'm actually a Vez fan. Even before he came to the Dogs I hoped he'd make it as a footballer. And I still really want him to.

I'm just concerned that he's not got the required tank, work ethic or head to build a base solid enough to put himself forward as a league footballer.

Dead right, he was an outstanding junior by all accounts.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-03-2013, 02:58 AM
I like Vez too, it's a shame he has struggled to date.

Real nice guy too.

w3design
09-03-2013, 04:05 AM

All sad but true.
He played for 3 quarters like a man just going through the motions.
I found myself thinking... this is a guy that knows.. here, [ Williamstown] in 2013, is where the journey ends. He played without much involvement with the game or team mates, just going through the motions, missed 3 shots at goal, the last was absolutely butchered missing everything by a margin.
And yes he came off frequently sweating so heavily he did look on the point of self combustion. Most of the time he had just jogged around showing little interest in his opponent, or the game as such.

After the 3/4 time huddle, Peter German pulled him aside and had a brief one on one with him. What ever it was German said to him I don't know. But in the last stanza you could see the talent that so frustrates us with Vez, because we know it is there. And that makes it all the more frustrating seeing what he is capable of.:(

Throughandthrough
09-03-2013, 09:58 AM
What % of "I've always had a soft spot or vez" people have read the book TheDraft ? I'm suggesting all!

Some hack named Panos kicked 5 for Norwood in a trial match last night

Cyberdoggie
09-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Looks like Vez played for Williamstown yesterday, along with Prudden, Hunter, Hrovat in the seniors. So i guess he will be an out for the freo game. Not sure who the other 2 players are.

bornadog
09-03-2013, 02:41 PM

We went one short with our de listings last season, but now that we gave him a second chance he needs to grasp it with both hands otherwise that will be the end of his short AFL Career.

He has some talent but whether he has the ticker is another story.

Greystache
09-03-2013, 02:45 PM
We went one short with our de listings last season, but now that we gave him a second chance he needs to grasp it with both hands otherwise that will be the end of his short AFL Career.

He has some talent but whether he has the ticker is another story.

I don't think it's necessarily a lack of heart that's holding him back, I just think physiologically he doesn't have the ability to make the step up at AFL level. I've watched him at training and he always seems to be giving it his all, but year after year he never seems to get any fitter. If I was to guess I'd say his VO2 max test results could be an all time low at the club. Some players just don't have the capacity for endurance, no amount of effort can change that.

Hotdog60
09-03-2013, 02:49 PM
30 years ago he may have been a star.

Greystache
09-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Some hack named Panos kicked 5 for Norwood in a trial match last night

I'd expect him to carve up in the SANFL this year.

neddie
09-03-2013, 07:01 PM
"The stone rejected by the builder may become the corner stone" ???!!!

divvydan
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs
Out Veszpremi, Greenwood and Goodes

chef
09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Is there a radio stream?

Frem 0.4.2.26 vs. WB 0.2.3.15 so far.

chef
09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Is there a radio stream?

Frem 0.4.2.26 vs. WB 0.2.3.15 so far.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/nab-cup/2013/3/fre-v-wb.liveradio

chef
09-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks chef.

Dry Rot
09-03-2013, 08:23 PM
We have interesting tactics with Pavlich.

It's his first game back, so we're not playing anyone on him so he'll run around a lot and get buggered by half time.

firstdogonthemoon
09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
erk - we're copping a hiding

11.3.69 to 2.5.17

westdog54
09-03-2013, 09:11 PM

11.3.69 to 2.5.17

Considering we are nowhere near full strength its neither surprising nor concerning.

Twodogs
09-03-2013, 09:13 PM

11.3.69 to 2.5.17

So thats 7 goals in a row to them, yeah?

Twodogs
09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Freo 17.6 108 to us 4.5 29

That's a 79 point lead to them.

Remi Moses
09-03-2013, 09:48 PM
We're playing 2 players who have played more than 50 games.
No great shock really

G-Mo77
09-03-2013, 09:58 PM
How many are complaining that they didn't get to see it now. :)

Yikes. :eek:

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Glad my call to Foxtel was fruitless

The Coon Dog
09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
We play Richmond at Princes Park on Saturday ay 2pm. Free admittance upon production of your membership.

w3design
09-03-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a lack of heart that's holding him back, I just think physiologically he doesn't have the ability to make the step up at AFL level. I've watched him at training and he always seems to be giving it his all, but year after year he never seems to get any fitter. If I was to guess I'd say his VO2 max test results could be an all time low at the club. Some players just don't have the capacity for endurance, no amount of effort can change that.

I firmly believe his problem with playing footy is psychological rather than physical. Talent wise, he has the skills, just not the application or what ever.

Bloody sad for himself, and the squad. Like many who never make it, he still has talent to burn. Just not the mental/emotional make up required.

SAD !!!

LostDoggy
09-03-2013, 11:29 PM

Let's hope this is the only thing we ever want to emulate from Essendon's 2012.

Perhaps reconsider your username

Hehehe. Nice one.

Freo 17.6 108 to us 4.5 29

That's a 79 point lead to them.

I was really pissed off at my ex-wife, who lives 20 minutes away from the game today and couldn't be bothered taking my boys, but now, not so unhappy...

stefoid
09-03-2013, 11:40 PM
To lighten the mood a bit, apparently Hrovat played a good game for willi, with his clean disposal by hand and foot a highlight.

bornadog
09-03-2013, 11:43 PM
23.8 to 5.7

Oh well its only a practise match:D

The Underdog
09-03-2013, 11:46 PM
The score is as irrelevant as it was after the Hawthorn game. NAB cup results mean nothing. They are practice games.

Remi Moses
10-03-2013, 01:22 AM
I see the AFL is once again more concerned about revenue than fairness.
The final should be played in QLD, but once again the league just wants a bigger crowd at Etihad. Know it's a glorified practice match but just emphasises the agenda.

Go_Dogs
10-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Looking at the stats, Stevens had quite a bit of ball as did Smith, Walis and Macrae which I'm happy with. Fremantle played basically a full strength side as it's their last game of the pre-season so as others have said can't read too much into the result.

Danny the snakeman
10-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Just got back from the game,altho it was a young side it was still disapointing. Was good to see quite a few doggie supporters there considering it was played in mandurah.

strebla
10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
What really disappoints me is that the AFL site are saying Cooney got tagged!!!! WTF it's a practice match Ross ya wanker!!!!

Hotdog60
10-03-2013, 11:57 AM
What really disappoints me is that the AFL site are saying Cooney got tagged!!!! WTF it's a practice match Ross ya wanker!!!!

It was going to happen, Freo were in full match simulation for round one as they don't have another game until round one.
We have another game to go and I'll suspect that we'll have our round one side in apart from little injuries and if Cooney didn't pull up well from the game and he might be rested.

If Cooney does play it will show that he is in a lot better condition than the last few seasons.:D

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Just got back from the game,altho it was a young side it was still disapointing. Was good to see quite a few doggie supporters there considering it was played in mandurah.

Did it appear that we were putting in much effort?

Or were we just not good enough?

bornadog
10-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/fremantle-dockers-smash-western-bulldogs-by-109-points-in-nab-cup/story-e6frf9jf-1226593910782)

IF Fremantle wasn't serious last weekend, it left little doubt about its intentions on Saturday night.

The Dockers signalled their desire at the selection table and followed through as a virtual full-strength outfit toyed with the inexperienced Western Bulldogs on the way to a 109-point rout in the NAB Cup fixture in Mandurah.

Key midfielder Nat Fyfe warmed up for the season with a dominant performance, amassing 30 touches and eight clearances after shrugging off an injury scare late in the third term.

Returning captain Matthew Pavlich promised a sizable bag after slotting two goals in the first quarter but had to be content to finish with three in his first outing of the pre-season.

The new dad looked menacing early but enjoyed regular stints on the bench with his minutes restricted as he blew out his pre-season cobwebs.

Fellow forward Chris Mayne was also on the comeback trail after hurting his ankle in the opening NAB Cup fixture three weeks ago.

Mayne showed he had lost none of his spring power with a couple of high-flying marks as he kicked all three of his goals by the main break.

Few of the outgunned Bulldogs were able to hold their heads high, with former West Coast fringe midfielder Koby Stevens the visitors' best with 23 touches and seven clearances.

Aside from Kepler Bradley in defence, there was little in the way of experimentation from Ross Lyon as he treated the game as a serious dress rehearsal ahead of the Round 1 Western Derby in a fortnight.

Fremantle's first-choice forward line had a valuable hitout after getting together for the first time this summer.

It was a day for them to fill their boots as the Dockers dominated the clearance and inside 50 stats.

For a team that prides itself on defence, an attacking combination boasting Pavlich and Mayne, the nous and smarts of Hayden Ballantyne and Michael Walters and the heart of Matt de Boer isn't one to be sneezed at.

The one obvious hole is a tall target to complement Pavlich.

A bulked-up Zac Clarke still offers more potential than performance but appears set to receive an extended show of faith this season and is likely to play the important dual role of supporting Pavlich up forward and relieving Griffin in the ruck in the derby.

He continues to do his best work in the ruck, when the Dockers most need him to perform in the forward line, although a towering grab late in the match was a highlight.

Fyfe had beaten his tally of 10 touches in last weekend's mauling from Carlton by quarter-time and continued to work hard throughout a quality outing.

The young midfield star was everywhere in gathering his 11 opening term possessions, with his contested marking and clearance work a highlight despite turning the ball over at times.

Pavlich was in the thick of things from the outset but missed two gettable set shots early in the opening term.

He couldn't miss his third opportunity, with the skipper strolling all the way to the goal line unmanned after sneaking onto the ground from the interchange gates.

The Dockers piled on six goals to none in the second quarter to extend their lead to 52 points at half-time.

At the height of the onslaught Freo added five goals in the space of six minutes.

Adam Cooney ended a run of seven consecutive Fremantle majors when he kicked the first goal of the third term.

But the Dockers added another six goals to two to further stretch their advantage, with Walters and de Boer both shining with two each.

Walters added his fourth after a terrific mark in the final quarter as a relentless Fremantle powered home.

The Freo players headed for the changerooms at quarter-time and three-quarter time, with the breaks extended from six to 10 minutes under the AFL's heat policy.

The controversial interchange cap of 80 was also removed and the three substitutes were scrapped, leaving each team with six full interchange players.

FREMANTLE 0.5.2 0.11.3 0.17.6 0.23.8 (146)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 0.2.3 0.2.5 0.4.5 0.5.7 (37)

GOALS
Dockers: Walters 4, Mayne 3, de Boer 3, Pavlich 3, Crozier 2, Ballantyne 2, Suban, Griffin, Duffield, Neale, Hill, Mzungu.
Bulldogs: Dixon, Dahlhaus, Austin, Cooney, Cordy.
BEST
Dockers: Fyfe, Walters, Mayne, Mundy, de Boer, Clarke.
Bulldogs: Stevens, Lower, Smith.
UMPIRES
L Farmer, D Margetts, M Leppard.
CROWD
About 5000 at Rushton Park, Mandurah

bornadog
10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney won't be dwelling on his team's 109-point hiding at the hands of Fremantle, and says supporters shouldn't be overly concerned by the size of the AFL loss either.

The Bulldogs were missing around half of their best side for the practice match in Mandurah, with Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Will Minson, Shaun Higgins, Dale Morris and Daniel Cross among the big-name absentees.

A full-strength Fremantle outfit took full advantage of the mismatch, powering past the Bulldogs 23.8 (146) to 5.7 (37).

The Bulldogs lost their past 11 games of 2012 and are widely tipped to go through more tough times this season.

But McCartney said the performance against Fremantle was by no means a sign of things to come.

"We came here with a very, very young team. We planned this four or five weeks ago. We weren't to know Fremantle would be exceptionally strong," McCartney said.

"We're not going to dwell on it for too long.

"If you were a Bulldogs supporter watching it, you wouldn't have recognised a lot of the faces.

"But it's another game for them that they'll learn from.

"And we'll keep looking for tough, young people who don't like getting pushed around and mashed up."

McCartney was pleased with the performance of former Eagle Koby Stevens (23 possessions, seven clearances) and a solid showing from fit-again midfielder Adam Cooney.

But there was little else to smile about.

However, there will be no excuses on Saturday when the Bulldogs welcome back a host of stars for their practice match against Richmond at Visy Park.

Link (http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/dogs-not-fazed-by-dockers-afl-thrashing-20130310-2ftom.html)

Pedro Sanchez
10-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Got to the game mid way through the second quarter – here’s my take on our performance...

Backline

Saw most of the play given Freo’s dominance. I thought JJ and Roughead looked the most assured. JJ for his pace and willingness to run. He’s also good inside with clean hands and looks to take on the opponents. Really like the look of him. Quick, tough and a natural player - will be in the mix for R1.

Roughie looked pretty decent down back too. Good hands, reads the play well and has good body work. The Freo mids were delivering a pretty slick ball to big Pav so he had his work cut out. Pav also reminded me a lot like Chris Grant – pure class and a natural forward. Freo will really miss him when he hangs up the boots.

I read that Wood played well but i didn’t think so. Dropped a lot of easy marks, fumbled, had a lot of kicks smothered and generally looked out of sorts. Hopefully he was just a little rusty. Markovich was another who struggled. Looked to have little confidence always spoiling even when in a position to take fairly easy and uncontested marks. I think Howard was also on a flank but didn’t seem to feature much.

Although he didn’t necessarily dominate, I did like the look of Pearce. He played on both Ballantyne and Walters - the latter looks absolute quality too – and he showed a bit. Seems like he has all the tools and is smart player as well, once he gets some experience
I think we’ll have a more than handy HBF.

Tom Young was okay without being outstanding. He has quick hands and moves well – decent size too. Could get a few games and be handy enough. Worth trading for overall i think given it was such a late draft pick we gave up.

Talia was a little out of sorts. Didn’t seem to notice him too much so cant really report on him. Overall we looked average down back other than the two highlighted at the start.

Mids
Thought this group were up and about. Stevens really showed a bit. Very hard at it and showed great intensity to burst a pack or break a tackle. Liked the look of him.
Wasnt happy with how the rest of the team supported him though – in particular in the third quarter the big stump jumper Kepler Bradley came in late and bumped in the side / back. Anyway he was unsighted when he got hit and you could see it winded him. But no one flew the flag and remonstrated with Bradley. I know it was a praccie match and a young side but gee, one of only a few blokes taking the game on gets a pretty dirty bump and no one fires up. Disappointing for me.

Cooney was pretty quiet amid doing a few classy things like slot a nice goal on the run in Q3. He also had Mr Tag Ryan Crowley on him. Still positive about him for this season though – think he’ll be back to his best.

Libba was okay – showed a tad more than his counterpart Wallis. He’s a great handballer in tight and like his dad, tough as f@”£. Lower got stuck in around the packs as did Clay Smith who also showed a bit. These two will be 1st regulars i reckon.

Campbell in the ruck offered little i thought. Might have one a few hitouts but seemed to go unsighted around the ground.

Tutt on the wing was busy and did run and carry a bit. I think he can offer the side something especially if he gets a decent run in the side and can find some confidence.

Macrae impressed me a lot. He didn’t dominate but he’s much bigger than i thought both in terms of height and muscle. He also had something about him that just says class. Think we’ve got a beauty here. Really liked what i saw and he’ll only get better. He does have a kind of clunky kicking style but don’t be fooled, he hits a lot of targets and kicks the footy pretty hard and fast.

Forwards
Non existence. True the ball hardly ventured in our 50m arc but when it did it came out pretty quickly. Cordy fluffed about without imposing himself on the game. Kicked a nice snap goal in the last but otherwise unsighted.

Austin also played mainly forward and looked completely lost. I think he’s a stopper at best – has no flair and not suited to a creative forward role. Dont think Redpath touched the ball and to me, looks a mile off making it. Just seems slow in movement and mind – doesn’t look a great reader of the game. Might be wrong and hopefully i am, but my gut feel is he’s making up the numbers.

Dickson is a genuine live wire and decent player – hopefully he can get some help and no doubt will once Higgins, Gia and Jones come back.

Dahlhaus was quiet – really thought he would have shown a bit more than he did. Seem to try hard but didn’t really find the pill. As for Grant, didn’t do much at all...

Overall better players
Stevens, JJ, Smith, Libba, Lower and Tutt (just)

Who didn’t play...

Greenwood and Goodes weren’t out there. Saw the former doing run throughs and drills with big Ash Hansen after the game. On Hansen, any chance we can talk him out of retirement? He’s a big unit and would be more than handy up forward.

In closing, we were a mile off it. Lucky we have a genuine excuse of playing a reserves in a far away random fixture. We’re better than this, but looking at Freo, reckon they’ll be a hard to beat team – especially at home. Pearce from Port for them was very good. He’s got a damaging left boot and can probably get away with being a passenger in their team.

That’s your lot then. Pedro.

GVGjr
10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the report Pedro. Much appreciated.

I'm disappointed that we lost in the manner we did even allowing for all the youngsters we played.

Good to hear Stevens and Johannisen performed well.

bornadog
10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Great report Pedro, very much appreciated, especially coming from a Bulldog supporter view point.

Pedro Sanchez
10-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the report Pedro. Much appreciated.

I'm disappointed that we lost in the manner we did even allowing for all the youngsters we played.

Good to hear Stevens and Johannisen performed well.

No dramas mate - happy to have a chance to provide some insight given we get little chance over here in the West.

JJ is definitely a player and looks qaulity int he making. Stevens just seems hungry for the contest and to play. Think fans will like him a lot. Similarities with Clay Smith but has afew more tricks and uses the ball better. I like him already.

true it was a very bad loss, but we were young and inexperienced. Genuine excuse in my book.

bornadog
10-03-2013, 03:48 PM
No dramas mate - happy to have a chance to provide some insight given we get little chance over here in the West.

JJ is definitely a player and looks qaulity int he making. Stevens just seems hungry for the contest and to play. Think fans will like him a lot. Similarities with Clay Smith but has afew more tricks and uses the ball better. I like him already.

true it was a very bad loss, but we were young and inexperienced. Genuine excuse in my book.

What I like about Stevens is he is only 21 years old, so looks like we have picked up a ready made young player.

Go_Dogs
10-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Great write up Pedro, thanks.

F'scary
10-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Thank you Pedro. Much appreciated.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Muchas gracias Pedro para presidente.

LostDoggy
10-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Pedro Sanchez. Outstanding from you. Thanks.

Pedro Sanchez
10-03-2013, 07:16 PM
What I like about Stevens is he is only 21 years old, so looks like we have picked up a ready made young player.

Agreed. I think we've got a bit of steal here. He's had a first class apprenticeship at the Eagles and now seems ready to shine. I'm really hopeful our midfield will become a dominate force over the new few years. It has a great balance of hard nuts and class. Getting Macrae in there is also a top addition. I think the main area of focus has to be our forward line, maybe Stringer can add something, but we're really lacking qaulity upfront.

Pedro Sanchez
10-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Also remember the Freo boys were playing for spots in round one - they were well up and about as opposed to us still trying a few guys out...

Maddog37
10-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Great work Pedro. Better than what we read in the papers.

Remi Moses
10-03-2013, 07:55 PM
To lighten the mood a bit, apparently Hrovat played a good game for willi, with his clean disposal by hand and foot a highlight.

Heard he was excellent

FrediKanoute
10-03-2013, 08:58 PM

Agreed. Good inside mid with an appetite for the contest. Well worth trading for.

whythelongface
10-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Good read Pedro. Cheers.

Disappointed by the end result especially considering a number of players that played on the weekend will be vying for a spot come round one. Guess we shouldn't look too much into it as it was only a practice match. Grant is a major concern, just doesn't appear to have the ticker to become a regular AFL footballer.

jeemak
10-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks Pedro. Much appreciated.

I'm not too fussed about the result. A blow out in this day and age can still happen when teams are fielding much more competitive sides than we were on Saturday.

I do however, want to see a very competitive effort next week, from a much more experienced team.

Bulldog Revolution
11-03-2013, 12:11 AM
I see Wood did a hammy

Makes Goodes a very likely starter for round 1

Dry Rot
11-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks Pedro. Much appreciated.

+1. Very good report.

mjp
11-03-2013, 07:30 PM
I had little aths in Mandurah and got there just before half-time.

Incredibly disappointing performance - watching Fremantle chip the ball around their forward line to unmarked players was just u12's stuff - we can say what we like about the team that ran out there but to lose by 100+ points in any game is pretty bad. Hard to find too many positives but I guess Stevens played the way he has played in the WAFL for the past couple of years - but he would have been right in his comfort zone playing on a ground and against opposition he is largely familiar with.

I have read with interest the articles about Roughead and how he will have benefited from playing against Pavlich. Doesn't anyone think Jones would have benefited by playing against McPharlin? Wouldn't our full squad have benefited from playing against the Fremantle press - best in the comp in the second half of last year - on a small ground where skill execution is at a premium.

My 11yo came with me after his aths were finished - he is a Freo supporter and even he was bored by the game and went off to climb a tree with some other kids...I guess it wasn't on tv so no harm no foul from a membership perspective but is this really the sort of result we want to be putting up?

AndrewP6
11-03-2013, 08:13 PM
I guess it wasn't on tv so no harm no foul from a membership perspective but is this really the sort of result we want to be putting up?

I wouldn't have thought so, we should be putting up performances that give people a reason to be interested. Yes, the match was untelevised, but word filtered back here pretty quickly, and another demoralising defeat isn't doing us any favours IMO.

jeemak
11-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Some of the least flattering highlights ever made have just been put up on our official site:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-03-11/nab-cup-highlights-wb-v-fre.workstation

Special mention to Ayce at the 2:15 minute mark. Probably shows the key reasons why we drafted him in the first place. Good below the knees, mixed with some agility and skill.

Cyberdoggie
12-03-2013, 12:25 AM
My 11yo came with me after his aths were finished - he is a Freo supporter and even he was bored by the game and went off to climb a tree with some other kids...I guess it wasn't on tv so no harm no foul from a membership perspective but is this really the sort of result we want to be putting up?

I agree it's not good enough but perhaps the fact that freo were playing their last practice match before rnd 1, everyone playing for spots, full strength side against a dogs team that clearly marked this one down before hand as a rest week for senior players and a learning experience on the road for the younger ones. They said they didn't know that freo was going to field such a strong side but really they should of known. They have the schedule, easy enough to work out that it would be freo's last practice match and our second last.

Another factor is that we play freo round 2.

Still i would of thought 60 points would of been around the margin.

I hope we can make a better account of ourselves next week as big losses will not attract people back to watch bulldogs games.

Remi Moses
12-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Can we start the prophet of doom officially on March 29

Remi Moses
12-03-2013, 12:58 AM
I agree it's not good enough but perhaps the fact that freo were playing their last practice match before rnd 1, everyone playing for spots, full strength side against a dogs team that clearly marked this one down before hand as a rest week for senior players and a learning experience on the road for the younger ones. They said they didn't know that freo was going to field such a strong side but really they should of known. They have the schedule, easy enough to work out that it would be freo's last practice match and our second last.

Another factor is that we play freo round 2.

Still i would of thought 60 points would of been around the margin.

I hope we can make a better account of ourselves next week as big losses will not attract people back to watch bulldogs games.

In fairness though , apparently we played only 2 players who have played 50 or more games.
Honestly if people take notice of that game( not to become members) just go away.

kruder
12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

Incredibly disappointing performance - watching Fremantle chip the ball around their forward line to unmarked players was just u12's stuff - we can say what we like about the team that ran out there but to lose by 100+ points in any game is pretty bad. Hard to find too many positives but I guess Stevens played the way he has played in the WAFL for the past couple of years - but he would have been right in his comfort zone playing on a ground and against opposition he is largely familiar with.

I have read with interest the articles about Roughead and how he will have benefited from playing against Pavlich. Doesn't anyone think Jones would have benefited by playing against McPharlin? Wouldn't our full squad have benefited from playing against the Fremantle press - best in the comp in the second half of last year - on a small ground where skill execution is at a premium.

I agree totally. As a young player surely the preseason matches is time to shine yet many continue to disappoint. I'm scared about the year ahead, just have a look at the backline for starters and it should scare you too.... The one saving grace is the class of 2012 who look like an exciting bunch.

F'scary
12-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Some of the least flattering highlights ever made have just been put up on our official site:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-03-11/nab-cup-highlights-wb-v-fre.workstation

Special mention to Ayce at the 2:15 minute mark. Probably shows the key reasons why we drafted him in the first place. Good below the knees, mixed with some agility and skill.

If those were the highlights, I'd hate to see the lowlights:eek:

Go_Dogs
12-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the post mjp, good read.

stefoid
14-03-2013, 02:52 PM

I guess the point of the articles is that Rughie has only recently made the switch to defence from ruck, so its a steep learning curve.