PDA

View Full Version : Next Practise Match - vs Richmond Saturday 16th March 2pm

bornadog
10-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Final hit out at Visy Park before the season proper begins.

Will Stevens play in the first round?

Will Goodes be upgraded to the last Senior Spot and make his debut?

Where is Tommy Williams and Fletcher Roberts at?

Who else will debut? Macrae?

Starting to get excited about the season proper, even though I am not expecting many wins.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Should be a strong hit out, Richmond have looked very good to date.

Looks like Williams/Roberts will need weeks in the VFL before they earn a recall to the senior side, but I think Stevens and Goodes are a certainty to run out against Brisbane in round one.

Macrae is the interesting one; by all reports he impressed again v Fremantle. I wonder if he'll hold onto a spot?

Dog54
10-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Does anyone have more information on Tom Williams ? A big worry once again be can never get on the park.

mighty_west
10-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Stevens is a certainty to play given his early form, so too Goodes who really was an inspired rookie selection imo given the fact we look so young down back, especially with Murphy playing up forward, Goodes will also help with the development of the likes of Pearce, JJ etc.

Hopefully we'll get to see Hrovat get a run this week v the Tigers.

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Does anyone have more information on Tom Williams ? A big worry once again be can never get on the park.

Still recovering from his foot injury, don't think they will be taking any risks on him.

wimberga
10-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Just on Goodes - has he officially taken up that last spot on our list? I remember there being 1 spot left with a few rookies fighting it out to get it but dont remember hearing who got the spot.

GVGjr
10-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Just on Goodes - has he officially taken up that last spot on our list? I remember there being 1 spot left with a few rookies fighting it out to get it but dont remember hearing who got the spot.

I think they will wait until the last minute to upgrade him.

always right
11-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Looks like Easton Wood will struggle to make it with a hamstring strain.

Cyberdoggie
11-03-2013, 10:51 AM
The coach mentioned we will field a full strength side against Richmond, with Williams and Stringer definately out with injury.

Bulldog Revolution
11-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Looks like Easton Wood will struggle to make it with a hamstring strain.

Would seem to open up the spot for Goodes

always right
11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Would seem to open up the spot for Goodes

Barring mishap next week I reckon Roughead, JJ, Goodes and Morris are all locks. Reckon Wood's absence opens the door for either Talia or Young if they put in a good performance and perhaps Lower or Picken for the other spot.

bornadog
12-03-2013, 05:13 PM
The Western Bulldogs are set to take on Richmond in a final practice match on Saturday at Visy Park, in the lead up to the official 2013 premiership season.

After a young Bulldogs outfit was defeated by an experienced Fremantle in round three, the Dogs are expected to name a near full strength side against Richmond to settle the line-up before season proper.

The clash is scheduled for 2pm on Saturday 16 March 2013 at Visy Park, with Western Bulldogs members granted free entry on presentation of their 2013 membership card.

Bulldogs fans will also have the opportunity to buy or renew their 2013 membership or buy the newest range of Club merchandise by visiting the official Bulldogs marquee outside gate five on game day.

Ticketing Information

Member Entitlements

All Club and AFL members will receive access free of charge to any NAB Cup round four practice match, regardless of the teams competing. Club and AFL members will be allowed access into the ground upon presentation of their 2013 membership card at the gate.

General Public Prices

There will be no tickets available for pre-purchase for round four matches. For all games general public patrons may purchase a ticket at the gate.

Adult/Concession $5.00

Junior under 15 Free

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Barring mishap next week I reckon Roughead, JJ, Goodes and Morris are all locks. Reckon Wood's absence opens the door for either Talia or Young if they put in a good performance and perhaps Lower or Picken for the other spot.
Talia should become our second tall down back holding out Markovic. I reckon Cross could play at half back where he seems to do his best work these days. Little argument on the four you mentioned at the beginning. Picken might be handy as the tagger against a pretty good Lions midfield. Lower has probably done enough to be in the starting 22.

bornadog
14-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Hrovat named in senior squad (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-03-14/hrovat-named-in-senior-squad)

A third Western Bulldogs 2012 first round draftee is poised to play senior football this pre-season, with exciting young pup Nathan Hrovat named in the extended squad to take on Richmond on Saturday.

After a quad injury delayed his AFL start, the ex-Northern Knights captain regained his touch in a VFL practice match for VFL affiliate Williamstown last week and will be looking to show his wares at senior level if selected in the final side.

The 18-year-old forged a reputation as a ball magnet during his junior footballing career with the versatility to win his own ball as well as push forward to hit the scoreboard and won All Australian honours in his TAC Cup year as well as being recognised as Vic Metro’s Most Valuable Player.

Hrovat joins a number of experienced campaigners who have been recalled to the side, to consolidate the lineup before the season opener against Brisbane Lions.

Captain Matthew Boyd joins Club veterans Robert Murphy, Dale Morris and Daniel Giansiracusa who return to the fold, while silky outside runner Jackson Macrae will line up for his forth senior appearance.

New recruits Koby Stevens and Nick Lower have also retained their spots with promising pre-season form while rookie Brett Goodes will look to build on a great summer in the red, white and blue.

The Western Bulldogs take on Richmond at Visy Park on Saturday from 2pm, with the 27 man squad set to be finalised before the first bounce.

Full team list:

2 ROBERT MURPHY
3 MITCH WALLIS
4 DANIEL CROSS
5 MATTHEW BOYD
6 LUKE DAHLHAUS
11 JACKSON MACRAE
13 DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA
14 CLAY SMITH
15 JASON TUTT
16 RYAN GRIFFEN
17 ADAM COONEY
19 LIAM JONES
21 TOM LIBERATORE
23 JORDAN ROUGHEAD
24 NATHAN HROVAT
25 KOBY STEVENS
27 WILL MINSON
29 TORY DICKSON
31 TOM YOUNG
33 NICK LOWER
37 LUKAS MARKOVIC
38 DALE MORRIS
39 JASON JOHANNISEN
42 LIAM PICKEN
44 BRETT GOODES
45 TOM CAMPBELL
49 AYCE CORDY

SlimPickens
14-03-2013, 04:40 PM
No Williams or Roberts again.

Would have the 3 missing being Tutt, Campbell and Young.

Really want to see Hrovat get a run.

Any woofers heading to the game?

Mofra
14-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Is Young a chance for CHB? The interview with Hansen indicates he can play tall (as can Morris) - if Marko's out of form and Young gives us some rebound, he may just be a smoky for round 1.

bornadog
14-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Is Young a chance for CHB? The interview with Hansen indicates he can play tall (as can Morris) - if Marko's out of form and Young gives us some rebound, he may just be a smoky for round 1.

He is not a monster at 191cm, but it may be horses for courses as not all teams have the big CHF and FF (which Roughie can take if they do0

bornadog
14-03-2013, 05:26 PM

Actually thinking of going.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2013, 06:40 PM

Higgins still out too. My guess based on selections this week is Markovic will line up as CHB come round 1.

Cyberdoggie
14-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I would think they would want another look at Young before round 1, as there is uncertainty down back, and Wood's injury open's a spot.

Addison out is interesting.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Still don't understand how Markovic is getting games over Talia.

Need to pump games into Michael who should be a solid player with time. Markovic, on the other hand, should be delisted at year's end.

Greystache
14-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Apparently Hrovat was a stand out last Friday.

I'll be going

Remi Moses
14-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Wood Williams and Higgins won't play round 1 you'd reckon.
Rather Talia than Markovic to be honest

bulldogsman
14-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Still don't understand how Markovic is getting games over Talia.

Need to pump games into Michael who should be a solid player with time. Markovic, on the other hand, should be delisted at year's end.

Came on here to post the exact same thing.
I don't know what the MC see in Marko.

Hopefully Macrae has a good game and we see him round 1.

Maddog37
14-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I am another that has lost faith in Marko. Seems like a quality fella but needs to improve and I cant see it happening.

LostDoggy
14-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I was speaking to Roughy last night and I would be surprised if Goodes isn't upgraded. Rough didn't say so directly but gave the impression that he would.

(I'll start a thread re. seeing a few of the boys.)

kruder
14-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Apparently Hrovat was a stand out last Friday.

I'll be going

Will be a fan fav. One of my extended family members sponsored him in the junior ranks and as you probably have gathered from hearing him speak he will leave no stone unturned that kid.

We all appreciate that kind of player but the bonus with Hrovat is that he has polish to go with it. Really excited about last years draft.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Markovic is being played ahead of Talia as he has the strength to compete. May only be a stop gap but still need to protect the kids a bit.

Expect Young to play CHB this week.

G-Mo77
16-03-2013, 01:29 AM
I've been in the mountains of Tassie most of this week so I've been without phone coverage or any form of access to social media. It was great news to read I could see the Dogs play tomorrow.

I'll be there.

always right
16-03-2013, 11:25 AM
I'll be there with daughter in tow. Looking forward to it, especially to see how Hrovat goes.

Hotdog60
16-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Look forward to some in depth reviews for us supporters far north of the border. Also some updates through the game if possible.

Thanks in advance.:)

BornInDroopSt'54
16-03-2013, 12:09 PM
It looks like it will be wet and slipper. No injuries please.

G-Mo77
16-03-2013, 12:45 PM
It looks like it will be wet and slipper. No injuries please.

Dam it, now I'm going to have to lug a jacket around with me. Glad I read this, I was just about to leave with just a T and jeans.

Eastdog
16-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Dam it, now I'm going to have to lug a jacket around with me. Glad I read this, I was just about to leave with just a T and jeans.

Great to have wintry type weather back just in time for the new footy season.

chef
16-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Hey guys please keep us unfortunate souls informed of whats happening during the game.

Thanks.

Eastdog
16-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Bulldogs Facebook and Bulldogs Twitter will be updating from the match but I much prefer what woofers have to say who go.

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Ayce just clunked a nice contested mark. Didn't convert but looked nice.

Forward pressure has been good with the first 10mins predominately in our half.

Lower tagging Cotchin.

chef
16-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Scores?

Greystache
16-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Lower tagging Cotchin.

That's interesting, is Picken playing forward?

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Ayce height actually has the tigers defence worried. Has been contesting really well.

Wet weather footy at the moment

3.5 to 3.1 dogs up

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 03:30 PM
That's interesting, is Picken playing forward?

Picken playing in defense on Nahas. Lower following Cotchin everywhere.

chef
16-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks Slim, keep it coming.

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Qtr time
WB3.5.23
Rich 3.2.20

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 03:32 PM
4 subs

Smith
Hrovat
Marko
McCrae.

always right
16-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Qtr time dogs 3.5 to 3.2.

Very competitive but getting burned for pace at times on the turnaround.

Outstanding quarter from Wallis who has been really cinstructive. Cooney, especially early looking very lively. Cordy competing well and kicked a goal fom a free kick but missed another after a strong one on one mark.

Lower doing an excellent job on Cotchin....and Pickens likewise on Nahas. Boydy everywhere and Gia competing hard against Morris. Have tried to spread from the contest but on several occasions have gone with one too many handbills. Encouraging start.

Hotdog60
16-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys much appreciated

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Players have zero idea how to approach this forceful contact below the knees rule. Good news is umpires have no idea how to officiate it either!

GVGjr
16-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Picken playing in defense on Nahas. Lower following Cotchin everywhere.

I like both of those match ups. Lower really does give us some options.

GVGjr
16-03-2013, 03:51 PM
We are playing OK and Dahlhaus and Griffen are keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

Another goal by Gia

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 03:52 PM
13 min mark 2nd

Dogs up by 15.

Once again game being played in our half, have been burnt once with a turnover but very good nevertheless.

Nice goal by Dahl earlier, he has 2

Go_Dogs
16-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the updates, sounds promising.

GVGjr
16-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Tigers are getting back into it and out lead is now just 7 points. Going to be a close one.

westdog54
16-03-2013, 04:10 PM
How effective has Lower been in restricting Cotchin?

If having Lower means we are able to free up Picken it will be a godsend.

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Dogs up by 7 at half time.

Griffen very good in that qtr. Still having lapses of concentration but overall a solid performance.

Have liked Murphy across half forward.

SlimPickens
16-03-2013, 04:13 PM
How effective has Lower been in restricting Cotchin?

If having Lower means we are able to free up Picken it will be a godsend.

Very, has stuck to his guns. Cotchin hasn't had much of an impact on the game.

always right
16-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Really strong, tough effort that quarter. We lack a fair bit of X factor but you can see McCartney's stamp all over the side. Tough, committed, disciplined and organised. We are going to be a hard side to play against but the big question is whether we have the talent to convert effort into reward on the scoreboard.

Cordy not looking the answer at the moment and offers little defensively. Can't fault his effort okay though. Jones not winning a lot of ball but making a strong contest and creating opportunities. Excellent qtr from our back line. Morris reading the ball well on Riewoldt nd Roughy looking very assured. Johannisen providing plenty of rebound.

Pickens and Lower continuing their good work and Griffen becoming more influential as the game progresses. Murphy move up forward looks to be a winner....clearly our best up forward combining well with Gia and Griff. Cooney moving well and using the ball well. Munson with his hands full on Maric but making sure we are at least levelling the centre clearances.

Richmond came back at us in the last five minutes with Martin snapping a couple of opportunist goals. Been a good game to watch but that new free kick against players going low is going to drive footy fans mad this year. Nothing wrong with how he umpires are paying them......it's just a stupid rule. It could end Crossy's career!

LostDoggy
16-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Decent first half by the sounds. Guessing Richmond have a strong line up playing?

Hopefully we stick to our guns and put in a solid second half as well.

Appreciating the updates guys, thanks!

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Sounds good.

Lower sounds like he's going to add quite a bit in terms of flexibility for the side, but I think I'd rather see Picken up forward than playing down back. I thought he had an average 2011 when he was played as a back pocket and he has a tendency to throw the ball onto his boot. I suppose that we can alternate Lower and Picken off the half back line/tagging mid role.

I wonder if we can (and will) fit Addison, Lower and Picken in the same squad? One in each part of the ground?

always right
16-03-2013, 05:06 PM
One point up at three quarter time after Richmond rallied at the end. Very very dark and now raining.

Have been impressed with Young who has been very solid in defence. Tut has done some nice things nd adds some pace. Feel like tigers might come over the top of us but have been ncouraged by out performance. Plenty to work with. Hrovat and McCrae yet to come on.

Picken and Lower have been terrific and Zgoodes came into his own that quarter. Jone doing some good work up the ground. Come on dogs....bring it home.

Doggy
16-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Just read on twitter.

Final score Richmond 92 Dogs 83

chef
16-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Bugger.

Eastdog
16-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Just read on twitter.

Final score Richmond 92 Dogs 83

Disappointed with the result but a much better performance from the sound of it today. Who for people that went caught your eye.

always right
16-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Lost by 9 points but competed through to the end. Have to be encouraged by that performance.

Highlights for me were;
- Lower on Cotchin.....the whole game. Smart player
- seeing Cooney running around freely,nhaving an influence on the game
- Morris' return to his old self. Dominated Riewoldt from start to finish
- Sharing the load amongst the midfielders and reducing the reliance on the usual suspects
- The continued improvement of JJ....he's a lock for round one
- Encoraging signs from lesser lights like Tutt and Young
- Roughy up back. For those who see him as a better option in the ruck, get used to seeing him in defence. He looks very assured back there and makes good decisions most of the time. Brian who?

Remi Moses
16-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Sounds encouraging.
Interesting Brian seems to be getting that dreaded old mans injury.

Hotdog60
16-03-2013, 05:59 PM
How did Hrovat go? From reports you guys have given did he only get a quarter.

Bulldog Revolution
16-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd add to always right summary and say:

Lower was super on Cotchin
Griffen very lively
Ayce had some good patches and it was a pleasing hitout from him
Young grew into it - still has a lot to learn
Murphy adds an incredible amount of class to our forward line and was very good
Minson had a great duel with Maric
Morris had his best hitout of the preseason and looked the Morris we know and love
Goodes was excellent and is a certainty for round 1
JJ was also good
Macrae came on late and shanked it a bit, but covered the ground well and found the footy
Cooney's best hit out of the preseason also

We botched easy chances in the first quarter with Dickson kicking into the man on the mark and only making a point from 30 out. Ayce missed an easyish 20 metre angle shot, off a super Murphy pass, in the third. In the fourth Murphy didn't connect well on two attempts and what looked like a nice goal by JJ?? was touched.

I will never accept losing and this was a game we should have won. However, if we play like we did today where we were generally first to the footy, committed, tackling hard and effectively, taking the game and generally looking pretty well organised then I can live with it.

bornadog
16-03-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd add to always right summary and say:

Lower was super on Cotchin
Griffen very lively
Ayce had some good patches and it was a pleasing hitout from him
Young grew into it - still has a lot to learn
Murphy adds an incredible amount of class to our forward line and was very good
Minson had a great duel with Maric
Morris had his best hitout of the preseason and looked the Morris we know and love
Goodes was excellent and is a certainty for round 1
JJ was also good
Macrae came on late and shanked it a bit, but covered the ground well and found the footy
Cooney's best hit out of the preseason also

We botched easy chances in the first quarter with Dickson kicking into the man on the mark and only making a point from 30 out. Ayce missed an easyish 20 metre angle shot, off a super Murphy pass, in the third. In the fourth Murphy didn't connect well on two attempts and what looked like a nice goal by JJ?? was touched.

I will never accept losing and this was a game we should have won. However, if we play like we did today where we were generally first to the footy, committed, tackling hard and effectively, taking the game and generally looking pretty well organised then I can live with it.

That was Tuft kicking a banana that was touched. I only saw the last quarter so can't add too much. I do know lots of errors, easy chest marks dropped, shocking handballs and can any one kick?

On the positive should have won with the chances and the boys looked good against a team supposedly a finals contendor

GVGjr
16-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Great summary BR and I was disappointed that we lost the game but I couldn't question our spirit right through the game. It was great that we kept the scoreboard ticking over.

I thought the Tigers were good today and yet we were right in it with them all the way.

always right
16-03-2013, 07:17 PM
That was Tuft kicking a banana that was touched. I only saw the last quarter so can't add too much. I do know lots of errors, easy chest marks dropped, shocking handballs and can any one kick?

On the positive should have won with the chances and the boys looked good against a team supposedly a finals contendor

To be fair....whilst we are one of the poorer kicking sides, you can cut them some slack today. It became bloody slippery after the rain came and the wind became very blustery in the second half. Richmond were not much better.

Was really worried about our kick-outs early in the game but they improved markedly as the game progressed. Goodes has a fair boot on him.

always right
16-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Great summary BR and I was disappointed that we lost the game but I couldn't question our spirit right through the game. It was great that we kept the scoreboard ticking over.

I thought the Tigers were good today and yet we were right in it with them all the way.

I wasn't impressed with the tigers but our blokes were very good defensively and put plenty of pressure on them. We looked so organised today.

chef
16-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks to all with the reports throughout the day.

Doc26
16-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks to those providing commentary and write ups on today's game. Unfortunatley couldnt get there today. Who was missing today from a likely round one line up ? Did Stevens play and if so what role did he play ?

always right
16-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Further good news is Tom Williams is playing next week. I'd love him to hit form quickly as we could really use his mobility up forward.

craigsahibee
16-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I thought Tutt was woeful today. Couldn't get near the pill and when he did he fumbled it and did nothing with it.

Goodes, Morris and Roughy were great.

Good hit out for Cooney. Stamped his authority on consecutive clearances during the 3rd and moved really well. Griff was good but plays like he thinks he has to do more and sometimes it comes undone.

Libbas hands were great considering he probably hasn't trained in the wet since he was banned 7 months ago.

Minson is vital to our clearance work but continues to be free kicked far too often.

As others have said, this new rule regarding making contact below the knee of opposition players is going to cause someone to really lose their $hit at some stage during the year.

Pretty good hit out overall, first year players in Macrae and Hrovat know how to get it. Macrae's finishing is of some concern at the moment.

G-Mo77
16-03-2013, 07:52 PM
How did Hrovat go? From reports you guys have given did he only get a quarter.

Came on in the last. Set up a nice goal late in the game. He and Macrae barley played which was disappointing. I'll try and give a write up later when I get more time.

LostDoggy
16-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Thought the side looked much better organised, structure held together really well, pressure on the backline by the Tigers in last quarter was heavy leading to mistakes and opportunistic goals to Tigers forwards.

Was a game we were very competitive in. Roughead was the highlight for me, he has adapted so quickly to the defensive role. How great to have Morris back. Murphy looks like he has new energy running around the forward line. Minson was outbodied by Maric regularly. Cross solid on the HB line. Mitch and Tom showed why they will be the leaders of the midfield in the near future. Thanks for picking up Lower. Jones and Cordy presented well but were wasteful with their opportunities. Why don't we have anyone that can kick over a line. Ithought Delidio's ability to get depth on kicks was the difference putting enormous pressure on the defence.

I am a happy supporter - there were really good signs of development and improvement.

jeemak
16-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the reports guys. Much appreciated.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the posting guys. Appreciate it.

G-Mo77
16-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Positives.

I was really impressed with the back half today. Morris was on song today shutting down the prancing peacock and everyone around him seemed to stand a little taller with him there. Roughead and Goodes were both excellent. Cross seemed to float around the HB line a fair bit as well. Dale Morris took one of the most courageous marks I've seen in a long time. Rewarded with a 100M penalty for his efforts.

In heavy traffic our decision making was good. Still a bit to much overuse in close but it seemed to work out OK today. Libba led the way in that department, Wallis' kicking looked pretty good in slippery conditions, Cooney was solid and liked Lower's tagging job.

I thought Cordy showed a bit today. Jones seemed quiet for half a game but played well in the 2nd half.

JJ showed a bit and Murphy was classy as usual.

Negatives.

Didn't like Young at all today. Did a few good things but looked slow, unfit and uninterested at times. He's got to do a lot more to get a regular gig IMO.

Tutt played a full game and did a couple of nice things but seemed to fumble and really couldn't handle the pressure.

Dickson was really quiet. I think he played half a game but didn't do a lot.

Stevens went off injured and didn't come back. Any news?

Hrovat and Macrae hardly getting any burn.

What's with the new umpiring rule? Get kicked in the head and you give away a free? I don't get it?

Richmond supporters. I should really put this in the positives though as I laughed all day. One supporter close by wrote of their season on today's performance, one gave a bronx cheer for every free they got in the second half, apparently they got the rough end and most just so easily excited really. Played a bit of baiting and had a good time. :D

stefoid
16-03-2013, 10:28 PM
I guess they are trying to stop the ridicuous situation where the guy with the ball deliberately charges into a guys knees with his head in order to milk a free.

Which is a good thing, but why pay a free the other way? The only reason players started doing that in the first place was because they were getting frees, so you just have to stop paying frees and there is no good reason t bash your head into someone elses knees...

Now if they stop rewarding payers for ducking their heads into a tacklers arms, and just call play on, and pay a free if the ducker doesnt dispose of the ball properly then the rules will be perfect in that regard - like they were 10 years ago and the preceding 100 years before that ...

jeemak
16-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Hahaha Stefoid, that's just sensible enough to work!

Man, I've banged on about it soooo much, but every time the AFL do something with the rules they just bugger the game up more. I can't wait for players to start leading with their shins towards 50/50 contests and getting frees, and then next get reported for the same action!

Back to the game. At what stage did the weather turn? I've noticed some posters have said we showed signs of being more organised. Was that consistent through the entire game or was it when it was dry?

Last year I thought when the condition were dry and weren't equalising the contest we really got shown up for skill and decision making. How did we look in the dry?

SonofScray
16-03-2013, 11:31 PM
I guess they are trying to stop the ridicuous situation where the guy with the ball deliberately charges into a guys knees with his head in order to milk a free.

Which is a good thing, but why pay a free the other way? The only reason players started doing that in the first place was because they were getting frees, so you just have to stop paying frees and there is no good reason t bash your head into someone elses knees...

Now if they stop rewarding payers for ducking their heads into a tacklers arms, and just call play on, and pay a free if the ducker doesnt dispose of the ball properly then the rules will be perfect in that regard - like they were 10 years ago and the preceding 100 years before that ...

Absolutely correct.

How people who get paid to consider this stuff simply cannot see it for what it is, it is just baffling.

They have enough rules which cover the sort of stuff that got them worried last year, like the Lindsay Thomas/Sydney Ranga incident. Unduly rough play, tripping etc. No need for further interpretations.

The handful of decisions around this issue I have seen in our preseason games are just ludicrous.

Cyberdoggie
16-03-2013, 11:53 PM
I think some reports are being a little bit pedantic. The conditions were very wet, particularly in the last quarter. Macrae, Hrovat and Markovic only came on half way through it and got up to speed pretty quick. Hrovat set up the goal that got us back in the game.

I wouldn't worry about the score line too much, i thought we were very good for a couple of reasons.

1. We controlled the game for the most part, Large chunks of the game richmond couldn't get it past half way. We beat them at the contest and looked in control.

2. We managed to actually have some scoring patterns that didn't involve us trying to kick to touch in the forward line in order to score from a stoppage. (Rugby Union style).
Jones and Murphy looked excellent at times, although our forwards seem to miss easy goals.

A couple of points:

* Lower will be a handy tagger, he's not quick off the mark but he's gutsy and clever
* We are a good stoppage team and are improving in ball movement across the middle
* Jones has got his confidence back somewhat. Playing much higher up the ground today and taking plenty of marks across the middle like he did a couple of years ago. He seems to enjoy the space more
* I still haven't seen any marking ability from Cordy yet
* Roughead was excellent in defence, looked very assured, minus 1 or 2 decisions.
* Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat are all going to be fantastic players for us, you can lock that in.
* With what we saw today the coach would have to go for Roughead at FB, Young at CHB and Morris as the 3rd tall defender. JJ, Goodes also locked in.
* Richmond caught us off guard the start of the last quarter and took us a while to get any momentum back. Easy misses cost us the game but i'd have to say we were the better team. Bring on the lions!

Remi Moses
17-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Nice to get some feedback.
How was Cordy when the ball hit the deck?
Nice to hear he did some nice things

Topdog
17-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the great write ups guys. Good to see a much improved performance on last week. Really important to start the season well, although I still expect Brisbane to beat us next week.

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2013, 01:03 AM
I actually thought Tutt showed some signs today and given our need for speed is worth persisting with - dont get me wrong he didn't set the game on fire, but he certainly went in hard, has improved his one on one work, covered the ground and provided some run, with a little bit of luck could have seen him hit the scoreboard a couple of times - spewing that goal in the 4th was touched (thanks for filling me in bornadog).

I think the guy just needs a bit of luck and it could all turn around. Last year was a write off after he did 3 hamstrings.

Pickenitup
17-03-2013, 08:01 AM
The two positives for me were Cooney And Morris it looked like the Cooney of old
at the stoppages with his pace still there going to have a very good season is Coons.

And Moz looks like he hasnt missed any Footy Gee he killed The Sook yesterday.

Thought Young Did some okay things may surprise some people this year.

SonofScray
17-03-2013, 10:33 AM
JJ getting up the ground to kick a few goals this preseason is a sign to me that our ability to attack and keep the scoreboard ticking over will start to improve. That type of goal was hardly manufactured at all last season.

bornadog
17-03-2013, 11:36 AM
The two positives for me were Cooney And Morris it looked like the Cooney of old
at the stoppages with his pace still there going to have a very good season is Coons.

And Moz looks like he hasnt missed any Footy Gee he killed The Sook yesterday.

Thought Young Did some okay things may surprise some people this year.

Sook alright, how about that 100 metre penalty. Love Morris and great to have him back in defence. Just hope he doesn't have to be used on taller players as sometimes in the past.

Ghost Dog
17-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Can someone give a bit more detail about this 100 penalty please?

bornadog
17-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Can someone give a bit more detail about this 100 penalty please?

Nothing much to tell, just Revolting bad mouthing the umpire, from what I can see.

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Was that after Luke McGuane cannoned into Morris?

The Tigers supporters complained about the umpiring but for the most part our players were first to the ball, put the heads over it, and deserved everything we got.

Richmond only had patches where they did were first to the footy - a bit of Cotchin, Martin, Edwards class that won them the game

LostDoggy
17-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the reports, guys. A few have mentioned that the Tigers weren't too good. How much of that do you think was because we just didn't allow them to be?

Ghost Dog
17-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Nothing much to tell, just Revolting bad mouthing the umpire, from what I can see.

Seem to recall Sedat predicting over a year ago that he would be the ruin of Richmond in an important game.
Prediction on track!

SlimPickens
17-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the reports, guys. A few have mentioned that the Tigers weren't too good. How much of that do you think was because we just didn't allow them to be?

I thought our structures held up quite well at times. Richmond got the ascendancy when our intensity dropped off. In terms of not allowing the tigers to do what they wanted to do, it was solid for about 80% of the game.

I mentioned it a couple of times yesterday but I was reasonably impressed with our ability to lock the ball into our forward 50/ half of the ground.

bornadog
17-03-2013, 02:29 PM
This from the Hun

The Bulldogs were disappointed they could not finish off the march, but would be encouraged by knowing about a half a dozen new faces could come into the team that finished the 2012 season, with Brett Goodes, Jason Johannisen, Nick Lower and Tom Young among those with strong cases for inclusion.

Lower did exceptionally well nullifying Cotchin, restricting him to just six disposals in the first half and frustrating the Tigers skipper throughout.

Assistant coach Brett Montgomery was buoyed that experienced core played well, but several recruits had played well.

''At the selection table ... we've got plenty to choose from and there were at least 12 or 13 weeks last year where that wasn't the case and we were just putting whatever we had out there,'' Montgomery said.

Adam Cooney (24 touches) showed glimpses of the explosive best that was a feature of his glory days, Robert Murphy was damaging alternating between half forward and half back and Daniel Giansiracusa (two goals) was a constant threat.

Ryan Griffen collected 30 possessions and Dale Morris totally outplayed Riewoldt.

Montgomery said the club was hopeful Shaun Higgins, Easton Wood and possibly Tom Williams would be available for the Round 1 match against Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium, although the Dogs were conscious of not including several underdone players in the 22.

Higgins and Wood are likely to play at VFL level next weekend.

Remi Moses
17-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Just hope we don't bring in to many under done players.
Players are usually the most knackered in round 1.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Just hope we don't bring in to many under done players.
Players are usually the most knackered in round 1.

Wonder if any players save themselves for the last quarter when everyone is knackered. Obviously interchange allows for some conservation of energy but when the game is in the balance in the final stanza, extra energy can run amok, dare I say it, ala Adelaide in '97.
Is there merit in individuals and/or teams saving themselves for the last quarter, especially in the first round?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the reports.

Bit disappointing to hear that we controlled the game for 80% of the time but still managed to lose. Things like that can kill morale/team confidence if it happens regularly.

Good to hear JJ did well again -- he's had a solid pre-season.

w3design
17-03-2013, 06:07 PM
In response to Jeemac's quire, it was not 'dry' at any stage of the match. In the first half it did not rain as such, but the ground was partially under water from the first bounce. When the ball first went towards goal square the players were splashing through water like it was mid winter. Even though the sun was shining. Opus Oval is simply not up to modern league standards, and clearly has a significant drainage problem. It is just an old time suburban footy ground.

Now to Tutt. He might well finish up a horses for courses type player. He struggled with his skills on the wet surface. I could easily see him coming in only for games on dry tracks such as under the roof at Docklands.

Cordy. I don't feel we can, or should be relying on him to be a major goal kicker. As our 2nd ruck/ FP there is quite a lot he can and does contribute to the overall and forward line structure. But if he can contribute a goal a game I'd be happy with that.

What we do need is a multi goal a game player to play out of FF. Although none are yet proven in the role, Williams, Stringer or Fletch R. look the best options we have at present. Now we need one of them to step up and claim the spot.
If one of these guys can contribute 3-4 goals a match, then Murph, Gia/Higgo a couple, plus contributions from Jones, Dal, Dickson and a few from midfielders, then we should start producing match winning scores.

As to this constant tampering with the game by the AFL, it just has to BL**DY STOP !!!
I have said it before, and I probably will be forced to say it again......The Rules of the Game Committee
must be disbanded completely, and replaced by a forum of the game's active participants : AFLPA, Coaches Assn., and the Umpires. No bl**dy fuddy duddies group who feel they need to fiddle to justify their existence, nor interference from city hall.
Let those who play and understand the game decide how it needs to be ruled and played in consultation together, and have rule/interpretation changes be an absolute final resort, and not just... 'we don't like the look of something, so lets introduce another layer of control or a new rule'.

Every time they make a change, it just creates a need for further alterations to follow, to help repair unanticipated results. Cause if they don't, they might have to admit they were wrong and made a mistake in the first instance. ..... And that is one thing the AFL just can't bring itself to do.

G-Mo77
17-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Nice little exchange here on Twitter between Stevo and Easton Wood yesterday.

Mark Stevens Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL

He's a beauty, Dale Morris. An All-Australian whose absence was underestimated. His one-one-work as good as anyone's ... rapt for him.

Easton Wood ‏@easton_wood

@Stevo7AFL Couldn't agree more. Dale's presence is huge and it's so good to have him back. He's about as good as a true defender gets

As I said in my earlier review of the game the back six walked a little taller with Morris out there. Watching him yesterday didn't seem like he'd been injured at all. The Glove is back!!!

jeemak
17-03-2013, 10:36 PM
In response to Jeemac's quire, it was not 'dry' at any stage of the match. In the first half it did not rain as such, but the ground was partially under water from the first bounce. When the ball first went towards goal square the players were splashing through water like it was mid winter. Even though the sun was shining. Opus Oval is simply not up to modern league standards, and clearly has a significant drainage problem. It is just an old time suburban footy ground.

Now to Tutt. He might well finish up a horses for courses type player. He struggled with his skills on the wet surface. I could easily see him coming in only for games on dry tracks such as under the roof at Docklands.

Cordy. I don't feel we can, or should be relying on him to be a major goal kicker. As our 2nd ruck/ FP there is quite a lot he can and does contribute to the overall and forward line structure. But if he can contribute a goal a game I'd be happy with that.

What we do need is a multi goal a game player to play out of FF. Although none are yet proven in the role, Williams, Stringer or Fletch R. look the best options we have at present. Now we need one of them to step up and claim the spot.
If one of these guys can contribute 3-4 goals a match, then Murph, Gia/Higgo a couple, plus contributions from Jones, Dal, Dickson and a few from midfielders, then we should start producing match winning scores.

As to this constant tampering with the game by the AFL, it just has to BL**DY STOP !!!
I have said it before, and I probably will be forced to say it again......The Rules of the Game Committee
must be disbanded completely, and replaced by a forum of the game's active participants : AFLPA, Coaches Assn., and the Umpires. No bl**dy fuddy duddies group who feel they need to fiddle to justify their existence, nor interference from city hall.
Let those who play and understand the game decide how it needs to be ruled and played in consultation together, and have rule/interpretation changes be an absolute final resort, and not just... 'we don't like the look of something, so lets introduce another layer of control or a new rule'.

Every time they make a change, it just creates a need for further alterations to follow, to help repair unanticipated results. Cause if they don't, they might have to admit they were wrong and made a mistake in the first instance. ..... And that is one thing the AFL just can't bring itself to do.

Thanks mate. Appreciate you coming back to my post.

Agree with you regarding the rules. You're spot on, though I do think clearly self-interested parties such as the AFLPA and UA shouldn't be the only contributors. Like you, I think old buggers like KB should butt out, or not be included.

Just on the goal kicking, not sure if you think that one of our guys contributing 3-4 goals a match means goals kicked and or assited. If it's goal kicked, then we're looking at 66-88 goals in a season which is probably beyond our forwards and most in the competition.

3-4 goal involvements would be excellent, however.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Only have the first few games to go off and a couple of written reports in the last few weeks, but it doesn't sound as though Dickson has had a good pre-season form wise.

I thought he was ordinary in the matches that I saw and the reports haven't been overly positive since.

Hopefully he fires in the real season.

w3design
17-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks mate. Appreciate you coming back to my post.

Agree with you regarding the rules. You're spot on, though I do think clearly self-interested parties such as the AFLPA and UA shouldn't be the only contributors. Like you, I think old buggers like KB should butt out, or not be included.

Just on the goal kicking, not sure if you think that one of our guys contributing 3-4 goals a match means goals kicked and or assited. If it's goal kicked, then we're looking at 66-88 goals in a season which is probably beyond our forwards and most in the competition.

3-4 goal involvements would be excellent, however.

I'd like to see a 50-60+ contribution from one key forward, however if he consistently contributes 2/week personally, while adding another couple to those his fellow forwards and mids get to contribute, I am sure I could live with that.

However they come, we need a significant and regular increase in our goal output each and every match.

We also need to not leak the number of easy goals we have of late in the latter minutes of both quarters and matches.

As to who should or shouldn't contribute to reviewing the regulation of the game, I think the three bodies I nominated cover most aspects of the game on the ground, and it is in all their interests to make the game a good spectacle, as fan support is ultimately what pays their salaries.

One group on its own might concentrate on self interest, but if all three need to contribute to decisions, I am confident that a sensible consensus would usually be reached.
Perhaps we could add the AFL medicos reps to the list. Just no involvement of administrators or historic retirees who just kowtow to head office, and their own egos.:mad:

G-Mo77
18-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Only have the first few games to go off and a couple of written reports in the last few weeks, but it doesn't sound as though Dickson has had a good pre-season form wise.

I thought he was ordinary in the matches that I saw and the reports haven't been overly positive since.

Hopefully he fires in the real season.

He didn't do a lot Saturday but I think he only played a couple of quarters. I don't think his pre-season form has been great either but I'm not concerned.

jeemak
18-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks again Paulv.

I suppose I'll be happy if a couple of our smaller forwards kick 25+ goals, and Jones kicks 25+ as well.

Seems like a low base, but I think it's realistic. If Ayce can kick over 20 goals for the year (I expect him to play around 16 games injury free) I'll be happy enough again.

As far as overall contribution, it's hard to judge it or put a number on it. I just want all of our forwards working their arses off.

Mofra
18-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I'd like to see a 50-60+ contribution from one key forward, however if he consistently contributes 2/week personally, while adding another couple to those his fellow forwards and mids get to contribute, I am sure I could live with that.
50-60+ is a heck of a lot in modern footy - Jack Riewoldt kicked 63 goals last year and won the Coleman.

28 goals by Gia last year as the best anyone managed for us. If we get anyone reaching 40 this year we'd be doing cartwheels.

bornadog
18-03-2013, 11:14 AM
50-60+ is a heck of a lot in modern footy - Jack Riewoldt kicked 63 goals last year and won the Coleman.

28 goals by Gia last year as the best anyone managed for us. If we get anyone reaching 40 this year we'd be doing cartwheels.

and thats only about 2 per match.

Dazza
18-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Pickens tackle was the highlight of this game for me.

LostDoggy
18-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Pickens tackle was the highlight of this game for me.

Was standing next to a group of Richmond supporters right outside the gym there when he laid that tackle, and they all went, “ooooooouch”.

Damn right.