PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Office - Tom Young Review

bornadog
12-03-2013, 05:19 PM
_7GBrxZSDR0

bornadog
12-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-03-12/young-shows-flexibility-in-back-six)

The versatility of Tom Young could become a future asset in the Western Bulldogs’ defensive line, after the 20-year-old demonstrated the ability to shut down opposition talls, as well as play as a rebounding defender against Fremantle on Saturday.

Development Coach Ashley Hansen said the 191cm defender proved capable of assuming a range of roles in the back six during the Bulldogs NAB Cup campaign, including lining up on both key position Zac Clarke and smaller forwards.

“His rebound and his athletic ability is really starting to shine through,” Hansen said.

“We were delighted to get him down here this year, so now he is starting to really build into some confidence and some good fitness to provide that rebound from defence.

“But also that real competitive aggression of the defensive side of his game, which really made him shine a couple of years ago when our recruiters first noticed him.”

Traded from Collingwood at the conclusion of 2012, Young has joined an emerging group of young defenders who will battle for spots in the senior line up this season.

The competitive recruit’s ability to adapt to a range of opponents and positions could give him boost come team selection.

Throughout the pre-season Young has also focussed on his overall fitness and disposal efficiency as he looks to become more dependable in pressure situations.

“[The new recruits] have all come in here with traits and great skills that are obviously going to make them good AFL players and that is what we have identified by bringing them in here in the first place,” Hansen said.

“So it is just his consistency of disposal, consistency of competitiveness – so making sure he is shutting down an opponent before he is becoming too creative – and just his decision making… making sure he is making the right option at the right time.”

Go_Dogs
12-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Based on the pre-season reports from posters on here, the most pleasing thing for me is that by Young's own admission he didn't come here in the best shape. On the face of it that's not great, but it gives me hope there's significant room for improvement in his running capacity which appeared to be a big weakness.

I haven't seen enough of him yet to make a call either way but he does offer us some versatility with his size. Hope he has a good year.

Ghost Dog
12-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Easy to spot him on the footy field. Whiter than Cooney, if that's possible.

F'scary
12-03-2013, 09:42 PM
He has the physique. But then so did Ed Barlow:eek:

Remi Moses
13-03-2013, 12:52 AM
He has the physique. But then so did Ed Barlow:eek:

You'd expect to see Barlow in one of those Iron man Series .

Bulldog Joe
13-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Interesting that they played him as a tall option. This might mean that Eaton Wood gets relieved of those assignments. We do need someone to play CHB and Young offers a bit of run which is lacking with Markovic, while Talia is probably not ready.

LostDoggy
13-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Apart from a slightly brighter shade of hair, is he the spitting image of Trent Bartlett, or is it just me?

Greystache
13-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Apart from a slightly brighter shade of hair, is he the spitting image of Trent Bartlett, or is it just me?

At the ground it's very difficult to distinguish between him and Adam Cooney.

F'scary
13-03-2013, 01:07 PM
At the ground it's very difficult to distinguish between him and Adam Cooney.

...until they get the ball

Bulldog4life
14-03-2013, 03:42 PM
If he gets a game against Richmond and plays well would have to be some sort of chance of playing the first round.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Adds to the ranger ranks. Julia will be happy.

F'scary
16-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Adds to the ranger ranks. Julia will be happy.

But only if he is not ideological deviationist from great leap forward.

always right
16-03-2013, 07:24 PM
If he gets a game against Richmond and plays well would have to be some sort of chance of playing the first round.

There's nothing flash about him but he appears to get the job done. I wasn't particularly pleased when we recruited him but I like what I saw today. Does a lot of things right and he's a good size. Easton Wood will have a fight getting back in the side from what i've seen of Young. In many matches he will be big enough to play CHB.

LostDoggy
16-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Did well today - looked solid

Go_Dogs
17-03-2013, 08:45 AM
There's nothing flash about him but he appears to get the job done. I wasn't particularly pleased when we recruited him but I like what I saw today. Does a lot of things right and he's a good size. Easton Wood will have a fight getting back in the side from what i've seen of Young. In many matches he will be big enough to play CHB.

Any reason why we can't fit both Wood and Young in? Young seems much better suited to play as a third tall defender with his size and I think Wood could be a good option on more medium forward types who are strong in the air.