PDA

View Full Version : Tory's time for more responsibility

bornadog
14-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-03-13/torys-time-for-more-responsibility)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/268110-tlsnewsportrait_zps05dc2bf0.jpg

n his debut season Tory Dickson’s goal sense and work rate made him one of the most influential players in the Western Bulldogs’ forward half - but in 2013 he wants to add a more commanding voice to his repertoire.

Highlighting his desire to take on more of a leadership role this season, the second-year Bulldog said his VFL football apprenticeship and maturity would put him in good stead to help guide the young forward stable.

“That’s one of the things I am wanting to improve this year, my voice and authority in the forward line,” Dickson said.

“Obviously I am older, 25-years-old, it is only my second year but I guess some of the younger kids could see me as a bit of a role model.

“Just knowing the structures inside out and having more authority and communication on game day with the younger guys – and also the older guys - just pulling them back into line when they need to be pulled back into line.”

Dickson was quick to make an impression at the kennel, ranking second in goals scored, forth in goal assists and first in marks inside the Dogs’ 50 metre arc last year.

His persistent tackling and pressure acts also made an impact, keeping his direct opponent accountable - despite often lining up against players with many more senior games under their belt.

Now more settled in his role, Dickson wants to take on more responsibility in the young, developing forward line – beginning with his preparation and professionalism.

“It’s hard work – you’ve got to be on your game at all times and just care about everything you do in terms of your injuries, your recovery, the way you eat - a pure professional,” he said.

“I’ve tried to be more professional in terms of recovery, more ice baths, more treatments – that’s one of the main things I have taken out of my first year considering my four or five years at VFL level.”

The 25-year-old credits assistant coach Shannon Grant for helping him reach the level that he has so far, after playing under his tutelage at both Frankston and Bendigo in the VFL.

“He has had a big influence on me – he was obviously there in my fourth year at Frankston Dophins as the coach, and then at Bendigo Bombers - it’s always good to have a friend at the place that you are working at,” he said.

“He has influenced me a fair bit in the way that he has gone about coaching me and little things and tricks of the trade that he has taught me along the way.”

bornadog
14-03-2013, 04:47 PM
With another pre-season under his belt I think this bloke will really shine for us this year.

Remi Moses
14-03-2013, 07:32 PM
One of the shining lights from a poor 2012.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2013, 08:57 PM
With another pre-season under his belt I think this bloke will really shine for us this year.

Agreed. Has a lot of good traits and I'm pretty confident he can become our best small/medium forward this year.

F'scary
15-03-2013, 06:00 PM
One of the shining lights from a poor 2012.

Spot on. I just hope he gets opportunities to act as a goal kicker / forward sneak and that this side of his game is not sacrificed for the sake of more defensive pressuring. Having a team full of defensive orientated players won't win matches. Those that have the gift of sniffing out goals - which he clearly has (there's a bit of the Kevin Bartlett hungries about him imo) - need some latitude.

Ghost Dog
15-03-2013, 08:59 PM
HzrwKIQKOoI

Knows how to bend em'.
Remember this?

F'scary
16-03-2013, 02:40 PM
HzrwKIQKOoI

Knows how to bend em'.
Remember this?

Clever kick, read the breeze perfectly. Shots like that (in a cross breeze) can be deceptive. There is actually not much margin of error.

Eastdog
16-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Clever kick, read the breeze perfectly. Shots like that (in a cross breeze) can be deceptive. There is actually not much margin of error.

Clever goal that was. Really going to look at how he goes in his second year after a very promising debut season.