PDA

View Full Version : Great indivdual efforts in the red, white and blue

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Stored away in our fun folders are memories of great individual goals made by Bulldog players over our term as supporters, on the telly or better still, as part of the crowd. Apologies for quoting myself from another thread:
"...(Stringer)was mid step when he change his weight from his right side to his left when he oriented himself to the goals and banged it left to right through the sticks. It was an awesome display of intent and instinct. It ranks in my memory of top Footscray goals, incuding Ted Whitten kicking a left foot goal over his shoulder running away from goals from a long way out at the in front of the grandstand at Western Oval, great long torpedo goals from David Thorpe and Bob Spargo, Steve Kolyniuk’s v. the filth, etc "
What are your memories of mercurial individual efforts from a Bulldogs player over your lifetime?

bornadog
17-03-2013, 04:26 PM
In no order and without thinking about it:

* Gilbee running from one end to the other at Eithad bouncing the ball and no Geelong player running at him - pretty sure we ended up with a goal

* Hardie doing the same numerous times, but one out at VFL park against North was particularly impressive.

* The great man Grant kicking the winning goal from the boundary line v Essendon in 2000.

SonofScray
17-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Libba running down Lucas in the middle of the ground when we broke their winning streak. Game defining effort.

Probably doesn't sit well within the descriptor 'mercurial,' but just one of those moments that general laws of the universe say shouldn't happen, but sheer will made it so. Only Libba could have done that on the day, in those circumstances.

Monty's final v Pies in '06. Took the hardest shot of the day right in the noggin after the first bounce of the ball and was still a dominant force over the duration of the game. Tough.

Matty Robbins hanger v Brisbane.
Kingsley Hunter running the length of the ground at Ethihad to score a goal.
Johno's handful of "mid air hacks" the most prominent being the one v Brisbane at the GABBA.

There's a few from recent history that immediately came to mind.

Maddog37
17-03-2013, 04:52 PM
I always enjoyed watching Lake destroy Cloke whenever we played the filth. The look on Twavis' face was one of complete confusion.

westdog54
17-03-2013, 05:01 PM
I always enjoyed watching Lake destroy Cloke whenever we played the filth. The look on Twavis' face was one of complete confusion.

I'll see your Cloke and raise you Brian holding Buddy goalless in 2009.

Best individual effort, Johnno's 3 last quarter goals in his milestone game.

bulldogsfight
17-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Hawkins goal aginst the wind , 1985 Rd 20 V hawthorn at WO, the only goal kicked against the wind that day, won the game by 5 points and secured the double chance.

G Bisset v Ditterich at Moorabbin c 1968

T Bartlett getting a free kick in the goal square aginst Silvagni !! , c 2000 , Murphs first game , we win at OO

Kolynuik running around the man on the mark to beat Collingwood

D Southern death lock on Sumich

Ghost Dog
17-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Irene Chatfield
Greatest number of badges to fit on a standard length footy scarf.
Look, you can hardly even see what colour it is.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2009/09/10/1225771/656656-irene-chatfield.jpg

GVGjr
17-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Brad Johnson dragging the side to a win against the Crows.

Templeton bagging all those goals against the Saints

Barry Standfield stepping up big time and filling in for an injured Scott Wynd against the Blues.

mighty_west
17-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Dunstan booting 8 on the same day someone called Templeton bagging 15.

Beasley booting 12 against Geelong also at WO v Geelong constantly having his skull caved in by Flanagans fist from behind.

Kennedy getting straight up after having his head caved in by a young Tony Lockett, Barkley street end WO, landing at least 7 or 8 fists laying on top of him.

A very young Scotty West booting 6 v Essendon also at WO.

LostDoggy
17-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Grant knocking back the dollars to stay at Footscray.

ledge
17-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Beasleys interception to win the game against the pies with Jock EDmond reminding Gubby Allen what a stupid backwards kick it was.

Dry Rot
17-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Anyone remember the Dogs v North when North vc Stevens came back after his head was almost cut off from a falling pane of glass? 2001?

Terrific close game. We're ahead by less than a goal. Seconds to go, North get it from the middle and kick long to Pagan's paddock - Carey in the goal square. If Carey marks, they win.

There's only one Dog down there in Pagan's paddock. No other Dogs to help and the pass to Carey is pretty good.

But Carey doesn't mark - Croft does. Siren. We win.

Well done, Crofty.

bornadog
17-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Anyone remember the Dogs v North when North vc Stevens came back after his head was almost cut off from a falling pane of glass? 2001?

Terrific close game. We're ahead by less than a goal. Seconds to go, North get it from the middle and kick long to Pagan's paddock - Carey in the goal square. If Carey marks, they win.

There's only one Dog down there in Pagan's paddock. No other Dogs to help and the pass to Carey is pretty good.

Well done, Crofty.

The next day I walked past the marketing managers office and from the corner of my eye I thought I saw Crfot, and thought naghhhh........ still thinking about the great win. On the way back to my office look again and realise it was Croft and went straight in to talk to him about the match and congratulate him on a great game.

Remi Moses
17-03-2013, 11:37 PM

Well done, Crofty.

Did well on Carey as a rule.
The umpiring in Kelvins 15 goal game.:D
I didn't go :mad:

bornadog
17-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Did well on Carey as a rule.
The umpiring in Kelvins 15 goal game.:D
I didn't go :mad:

I went :)

Kelvin's 15 must be ranked as the greatest individual effort by a player in RWB.

Twodogs
17-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Hawkins goal aginst the wind , 1985 Rd 20 V hawthorn at WO, the only goal kicked against the wind that day, won the game by 5 points and secured the double chance

Steve MacPherson I think.

bornadog
17-03-2013, 11:45 PM

yes it was

jeemak
17-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Chris Grant, 25 kicks, 3 handballs, 12 marks and the match winning goal. Essendon beaten. I can't think of a better effort. Seriously, there's not been many big men that have ever dominated like that all over the ground.

Grant's the most underrated player (broader football comunity) in recent memory.

Twodogs
17-03-2013, 11:51 PM
'85 was such a wild ride. I still think it's the best team I've seen.

w3design
18-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Stored away in our fun folders are memories of great individual goals made by Bulldog players over our term as supporters, on the telly or better still, as part of the crowd. Apologies for quoting myself from another thread:
"...(Stringer)was mid step when he change his weight from his right side to his left when he oriented himself to the goals and banged it left to right through the sticks. It was an awesome display of intent and instinct. It ranks in my memory of top Footscray goals, incuding Ted Whitten kicking a left foot goal over his shoulder running away from goals from a long way out at the in front of the grandstand at Western Oval, great long torpedo goals from David Thorpe and Bob Spargo, Steve Kolyniuk’s v. the filth, etc "
What are your memories of mercurial individual efforts from a Bulldogs player over your lifetime?

Ahh, thanks for the memories BIDS.
One of my fondest memories as a kid,was one day sitting in the front row in the forward pocket at the Geelong rd end.
A Richmond player [ if I remember correctly it was their captain] was monstering our resting rover. Can't off the top of my head remember who it was right now [ too tired I guess], but it was his first or second match, and just a kid.

The Richmond thug was behind the play, whacking him to the back of the head, thumping him in the back and kidneys, stomping on his feet, and generally being an absolute b4stard of a bully.

The bulldog crowd were going ballistic, and that caught John Schulz's attention, and he looked around and saw what was happening.
I watched as JS trotted down to where the action was at the far end near the drill hall, and saw him talking to EJ, and pointing down our end.

Next time the ball came down EJ followed it down into the pocket right in front of where I was sitting. Suddenly the Richmond thug flew out of the pack and landed completely stunned flat on his back.
Next moment Ted stood over him glaring down at him. I clearly heard him say..." If you lay another finger on the kid, next time you won't get up". He then calmly turned and went after the ball.
What a hoot. Boy did the Footscray faithful give the Tiger an unending gob full for the rest of the day.;)

craigsahibee
18-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Richard Osborne's barrell from what I like to remember as the wing but more likely just outside 50 against the Cats in Dougie's record breaking game back in '94.

Such a great day. One of my favourite days at the WO. Steve Wallis cleaned up Adrian Hickmott early with a trademark Wally hip and shoulder. Then Bubba was cleaned up by G Ablett Snr I think, which meant Dougie came off the bench to break EJ's record. Dougie and Super seem to wax with the footy for the best part of the day.

Steve Kretiuk kept Ablett Snr to 3 goals and did such a good job on him that Ablett gave him a whack across the back of the head after Kritter marked in front of him and gave away a 50 metre penalty, the crowd went nuts.

I've got this game on VHS so tonight I'm going to hook up the old LG Video Recorder and give it another airing.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Yes Was Stevie Mac with a torp. He kicked it from mud, I didn't think he had a chance, it was Super being superhuman. The wind was strong. Here's an entry from Wkipedia:
Windy Days at the Western Oval
In a game typical of the worst that the Western Oval wind could offer, Footscray beat Fitzroy in a close game by the score of 14.9.93 vs 13.7.85 in Round 10, 1964. Of the total of 178 points scored in the game, only 7 were scored against the wind. When Footscray met Fitzroy in Round 17, 1927, only 6 of 173 points were kicked against the wind. In 1948's Footscray vs Geelong game, only 2 of the 58 scoring shots were made into the wind. The wind was so fierce that when the Geelong full-back Bruce Morrison kicked the ball off after Footscray had scored a behind, the ball floated back over his head and went through the goals. The Goal umpire signalled a "forced behind". While these are extreme examples, it was common to see no more than two or three goals kicked into the wind, while fourteen or fifteen would be scored at the other end.

Twodogs
18-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Richard Osborne's barrell from what I like to remember as the wing but more likely just outside 50 against the Cats in Dougie's record breaking game back in '94.

It was the wing for sure-Osborne let fly from between the player's races. Chris Grant once told me it was the longest and best goal he ever saw.

Twodogs
18-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Yes Was Stevie Mac with a torp. He kicked it from mud, I didn't think he had a chance, it was Super being superhuman. The wind was strong. Here's an entry from Wkipedia:

If you get a chance to watch that game again take special notice of a pack that forms toward the end of the game. Terry Wallace (playing for Hawthorn) gets his hands on the ball but just cant get it out of the pack. After the umpire calls for a ballup Wallace is really annoyed at himself-I've never seen a player want the ball so much.

F'scary
18-03-2013, 01:56 PM
I saw Templeton's 15 goals. I don't think he missed a mark all day.

Remi Moses
18-03-2013, 02:15 PM
I saw Templeton's 15 goals. I don't think he missed a mark all day.

I don't think he took one:p

F'scary
18-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't think he took one:p

Please explain

LostDoggy
18-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I was fortunate to be watching from behind the glass in the old social club, even to my extremely biased eye, the umpires were very generous to KT, as every time he went for a mark it was generally paid. This does not dilute the effort and the excitement of a great day in the Dog's history, IIRC we held the VFL record score for a brief period. KT was a truly great player and deserved every one of his goals, As an aside, I heard that the runner was sent out to tell Mocha to pass it at all times to KT so he could get the goal kicking record, at this stage Mocha had 7 goals himself and replied that he would like a shot at it as well, a great day to be there, one of my favorites.

F'scary
18-03-2013, 02:33 PM
I was fortunate to be watching from behind the glass in the old social club, even to my extremely biased eye, the umpires were very generous to KT, as every time he went for a mark it was generally paid. This does not dilute the effort and the excitement of a great day in the Dog's history, IIRC we held the VFL record score for a brief period. KT was a truly great player and deserved every one of his goals, As an aside, I heard that the runner was sent out to tell Mocha to pass it at all times to KT so he could get the goal kicking record, at this stage Mocha had 7 goals himself and replied that he would like a shot at it as well, a great day to be there, one of my favorites.

I understand. My eye was unbiased then and to my memory there was only one big jump over the pack in the last quarter that was a bit generous. By that stage in the game, the ump was probably just assuming he would take it and blew the whistle a touch early.

bornadog
18-03-2013, 02:45 PM

383PM8xwR0g

Twodogs
18-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I understand. My eye was unbiased then and to my memory there was only one big jump over the pack in the last quarter that was a bit generous. By that stage in the game, the ump was probably just assuming he would take it and blew the whistle a touch early.

I think that's it. Did he kick 7 or 8 in the last quarter. Barker carried on a bit after a couple of the marks but I dont think he was used to being so comprehensivly outplayed so he just didnt understand he was simply being lead to the ball by the better player.

*edit* I just watched the highlights. Didnt remember KT getting those three frees in a row.

Twodogs
18-03-2013, 02:54 PM
383PM8xwR0g

What a great day at the footy! KT kicks 15, we break the record, we win by 100 points+ and we get to invade the ground half a dozen times.

bornadog
18-03-2013, 04:16 PM
What a great day at the footy! KT kicks 15, we break the record, we win by 100 points+ and we get to invade the ground half a dozen times.

He kicked 15.9, incredible having 24 shots at goal. God I loved Templeton, he was so exciting.

Enjoy some more when he gets his 100th down at Victoria Park

i2XK-j-Syao

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-03-2013, 05:39 PM
It was the wing for sure-Osborne let fly from between the player's races. Chris Grant once told me it was the longest and best goal he ever saw.

Ozzy went for a run down the length of the ground (may have been less than that) towards the scoreboard end for a goal against Melbourne

Darren Baxters 80 metre dribble through goal to Barkly St end

Steve Kolyniuks goal against Collingwood 1990

Hawkins goal aginst Hawthorn in 1985 and his pass to Edmond in the final against North that year

Greg Eppulston's tackle to stop Ablett getting a goal in 1987

Brain Cordy's tackle on Bernie Quinlan when he was going for his 100th goal

I could go on for a cuouple of days...

Remi Moses
18-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Please explain

KT got an armchair ride that day

Remi Moses
18-03-2013, 05:59 PM
He kicked 15.9, incredible having 24 shots at goal. God I loved Templeton, he was so exciting.

i2XK-j-Syao

Ahhh the old World of Sport fake sound effects.

Sedat
18-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Great thread.

If we're talking individual feas of mercurial brilliance, Richard Osborne took on half the Melbourne defence on a dirty old wet day at the kennel in a H&A game in 1995, tried to do too much and was borderline HTB (or ran too far) but then proceeded to kick a brilliant goal into the wind from 50 to get us home in a tight one.

Steven Koliniuk brazenly running around Graeme Wright on the mark, taking 2 bounces and drilling the match-winner against top-of-the-ladder filth in 1990.

Dougy's entire 1985 finals series.

Team related - first qtr of the 1997 QF against Sydney - 9 goals to zip. Unbelievable that this was the same team that finished 2nd last and were a rabble less than 12 months prior.

Twodogs
19-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Hawkins pass to Edmond in the final against North that year.

That pass was amazing. It almost knocked Jock of his feet.

At the centrebounce straight after Beasley kicked his 100th the ball spilled to a North player. Shorty Daniels smothered the ball of his boot and then barreled a torp from the wing that went through at goal post height.

Brain Cordy's tackle on Bernie Quinlan when he was going for his 100th goal

And Brian Cordy's tackle on Mick Conlan at Western Oval when Conlan was running into an open goal in 1983. it was in the third quarter. Fitzroy was kicking with a gale.

I could go on for a cuouple of days...

Me too!:D

Team related - first qtr of the 1997 QF against Sydney - 9 goals to zip. Unbelievable that this was the same team that finished 2nd last and were a rabble less than 12 months prior.

One of my mates turned to me when the siren went to signal quarter time and said "When I die and go to heaven, I fully expect it to be just like this"

Ozza
19-03-2013, 11:20 AM
I seem to remember Chris Grant kicking 6 goals against Adelaide at Footy Park on a cold Saturday night. He may have even kicked all 6 in the first half and the game was over - but he just looked absolutely head and shoulders the best player out there.

He also absolutely dominated St.Kilda (who played in a GF that year) out at Waverley one day in 1997. Had 30 possessions and marked everything.

giaco
19-03-2013, 11:57 AM
I seem to remember Chris Grant kicking 6 goals against Adelaide at Footy Park on a cold Saturday night. He may have even kicked all 6 in the first half and the game was over - but he just looked absolutely head and shoulders the best player out there.

Remember it well. Gia's first game.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2001/010720010609.html

craigsahibee
19-03-2013, 12:05 PM

i2XK-j-Syao

Back in the days when it was common place to wear a sleeveless woollen jumper over a long sleeve woollen jumper. Then tucking both of them into a pair of shorts that could impact on one's ability to reproduce.

Footy's just not the same anymore. ;)

Bulldog4life
19-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Here is one for the oldies on here. I was only 10 years old at the time but it still sticks in my mind. Our rover Merv Hobbs took a magnificent mark over a tall Melbourne ruckman in the 1961 preliminary final. I was at the game and the crowd went wild. Maybe someone can post the pic if they could.

bornadog
19-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Here is one for the oldies on here. I was only 10 years old at the time but it still sticks in my mind. Our rover Merv Hobbs took a magnificent mark over a tall Melbourne ruckman in the 1961 preliminary final. I was at the game and the crowd went wild. Maybe someone can post the pic if they could.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wbMARKShobbs_zps032857e3.jpg

Footscray rover Merv Hobbs flies over Melbourne's Trevor Johnson in the 1961 preliminary final.

LostDoggy
19-03-2013, 03:13 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wbMARKShobbs_zps032857e3.jpg

Footscray rover Merv Hobbs flies over Melbourne's Trevor Johnson in the 1961 preliminary final.

I have that picture framed at home

Axe Man
19-03-2013, 03:31 PM
For anybody wanting the relive the Kolyniuk goal, the final 8 or so minutes of the game (Kolyniuk goal at around 4:20):

SM7rFc3xqLo

bornadog
19-03-2013, 03:56 PM
For anybody wanting the relive the Kolyniuk goal, the final 8 or so minutes of the game (Kolyniuk goal at around 4:20):

SM7rFc3xqLo

Thanks for posting that, remember that game so well, we were in the pocket where Koly took off.

What a great game that was, Collingwood had won 11 in a row and were looking for top spot (they won the premiership that year). Have a look at the great play when Scotty Wynd handballs to a 17 year old (yes 17), Cameron who pumps a 50 metre pass to Koly.

Some great players in that team, and why we didn't play finals that year I don't know. Purser, McGuiness, Wallace, Wallis, Royal, Foster, Hawkins, Coleman, Atkins, Koly, Epplestun, Hunter, Libba and two 17 year olds who had a great year Grant and Cameron plus a few more handy players which I am sure I missed.

Ozza
19-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Was Kolynuik a left footer? I recall him being a right footer - but gee he threw that on the left pretty naturally on the run. He was always a great shot at goal.

bornadog
19-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Was Kolynuik a left footer? I recall him being a right footer - but gee he threw that on the left pretty naturally on the run. He was always a great shot at goal.

Remember that great goal that Grant kicked against Essendon in 2000, initially Koly had the ball and thought it was his. We will never know what would have happened if he took the kick.

Bulldog4life
19-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I have that picture framed at home

Thanks for that BAD.

GVGjr
19-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Can there really be much better than Johnson's 300th game performance?

Ghost Dog
19-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for posting that, remember that game so well, we were in the pocket where Koly took off.

What a great game that was, Collingwood had won 11 in a row and were looking for top spot (they won the premiership that year). Have a look at the great play when Scotty Wynd handballs to a 17 year old (yes 17), Cameron who pumps a 50 metre pass to Koly.

Some great players in that team, and why we didn't play finals that year I don't know. Purser, McGuiness, Wallace, Wallis, Royal, Foster, Hawkins, Coleman, Atkins, Koly, Epplestun, Hunter, Libba and two 17 year olds who had a great year Grant and Cameron plus a few more handy players which I am sure I missed.

A close one we actually pulled off!

Go_Dogs
19-03-2013, 08:35 PM

Hard to go past that one as the most memorable given the milestone.

A couple of others that stand out for me are Griffen's effort on one leg in the QF Final in 2010 against Collingwood, albeit in a side that was well beaten and Adam Cooney's 33 disposal, 5 goal game against the Crows in 2006.

Ghost Dog
19-03-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm thinking of starting a Bulldogs youtube channel, so as to categorize these clips and hopefully get a decent sample from each year. I don't have a lot of tape myself ( old VHS ) . Someone PM me if they are interested in this project.

Hotdog60
19-03-2013, 09:03 PM

Truly and great game but no one has mentioned one particular game that happened in 1954.

I wasn't even thought of then and I suppose there are not too many Woofer's here that were at the game if any.

Maddog37
19-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Hard to go past that one as the most memorable given the milestone.

A couple of others that stand out for me are Griffen's effort on one leg in the QF Final in 2010 against Collingwood, albeit in a side that was well beaten and Adam Cooney's 33 disposal, 5 goal game against the Crows in 2006.

That Griff effort was amazing. He was like a machine that night.

FrediKanoute
20-03-2013, 01:25 AM

He could kick with either foot pretty well. He really was blighted by injury and we only ever got to see glimpses of his best. I played junior footy and school footy with him (year level below) and he was unbeatable as a junior. He just dominated.

Ozza
20-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Remember that great goal that Grant kicked against Essendon in 2000, initially Koly had the ball and thought it was his. We will never know what would have happened if he took the kick.

I think Koly was actually just trying to steal one! He always wanted the footy in his own hands inside 50....and rightly so - he was a dead eye!

always right
20-03-2013, 10:28 AM

SM7rFc3xqLo

Thanks for posting this. That piece of play from Kolyniuk is one of my favourite memories. Remember the excitment that day when he danced around Wright. Also interesting to see Mark Hunter playing that day....and Wynd was huge in the dying minutes of that game. What a great leader he was.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for posting this. That piece of play from Kolyniuk is one of my favourite memories. Remember the excitment that day when he danced around Wright. Also interesting to see Mark Hunter playing that day....and Wynd was huge in the dying minutes of that game. What a great leader he was.

IIRC after the game Kolyniuk said he hadn't done much all day and Wheels sent him back on the ground with the message "do something", which he certainly did.

always right
20-03-2013, 03:00 PM
IIRC after the game Kolyniuk said he hadn't done much all day and Wheels sent him back on the ground with the message "do something", which he certainly did.

Funny...I always preferred Kolyniuk when he turned onto his left rather than his preferred right foot. Never seemed to miss. Leon Cameron was a bit the same....great kick on his preferred right but his left foot seemed to have even greater penetration.