PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 - Other Matches

Eastdog
18-03-2013, 03:32 PM
It's great to have the footy back for another year. For all discussion of the other matches in Round 1 not involving us. It all kicks off Friday night with Adelaide taking on Essendon at AAMI Stadium.

Remi Moses
18-03-2013, 05:12 PM
What a silly idea having a Claytons split round.
If you're going to have a split round at least have 4 or 5 games on!

Eastdog
18-03-2013, 05:21 PM
What a silly idea having a Claytons split round.
If you're going to have a split round at least have 4 or 5 games on!

It should be all games on the weekend for a round of football.

LostDoggy
19-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Not complaining at the quality of the first two matches this week cause they will be good ones, but cannot fathom the idea of splitting the opening round of the year, when we havent seen Premiership footy for 5-6 months. Quite stupid really.

Eastdog
22-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Tipped the Crows in the first match of the season. Round 1 with tipping is always interesting.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Doesn't even really "feel" like round one.

Eastdog
22-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Doesn't even really "feel" like round one.

Yeah I feel like that a bit too TBB. There is only 2 matches this weekend and as I mentioned before I rather everyone play in the same week.

jeemak
22-03-2013, 11:30 PM
The push in the back interpretation is an absolute disgrace. Nothing more, nothing less.

Direct result just now againt Adelaide was a goal. I feel sorry for the umpires, they must feel dirty paying some of the free kicks they're forced to.

Ghost Dog
22-03-2013, 11:36 PM
Jee Whiz, Johncock must be getting along. Seems like he's been there forever.

Remi Moses
22-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Just seen the sliding rule and gotta say I don't like it.
Just goes against every instinctive aspect a young footballer is taught.
Confusing Confusing Confusing

jeemak
22-03-2013, 11:51 PM
I promise, I'm just getting this out of my system. But FFS, Watson didn't even make contact with Van Berlo's back with any force and there was a free. Twice Van Berlo dived forward without contact at all.

Jesus.

Eastdog
23-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Bad start in tipping for me as Essendon get up.

Remi Moses
23-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Poor result for the Crows.
They were awful , turnovers aplenty.
Worst game I've seen Scott Thompson play.
Essendon were excellent after about the first 15 minutes, but it's early days.

jeemak
23-03-2013, 12:33 AM
I agree with you Remi. Essendon seem to be in the same mode they were at the start of 2012.

Really glad we're only ten minutes post the game finishing and we're watching some promotional crap with the AFL captains singing and taking the piss rather than running through the ins and outs of the game that just openned the season.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Adelaide looked very ordinary.

Extremely reliant on Thompson and Dangerfield who were both poor.

The loss of Tippet is really going to sting Walker and Adelaide, especially against the top 5-6 sides.

Remi Moses
23-03-2013, 01:43 AM
I agree with you Remi. Essendon seem to be in the same mode they were at the start of 2012.

Really glad we're only ten minutes post the game finishing and we're watching some promotional crap with the AFL captains singing and taking the piss rather than running through the ins and outs of the game that just openned the season.

I turned it over to Fox.
That was cringeworthy

jeemak
23-03-2013, 02:27 AM
I turned it over to Fox.
That was cringeworthy

I watched it all out of a sense of self-loathing. I definitely loath myself more as a result. It was balls.

Hotdog60
23-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Do you think we'll get to a stage when no player wants to go for the ball and they all stand around looking at it.

Maybe this needs to be done by the players as a protest to stupid rule changes.

Go_Dogs
23-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Pretty surprised by the result, thought Adelaide looked the better side on paper, plus home ground advantage and conditions that would suit. Very impressive first up effort from the Bombers. A hard tag on Dangerfield seems the way to go. Walker played quite high last night which isn't really his best role, but showed how good he can be when in range. Watson is a beast.

chef
23-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Tippett looks like he's going to be a huge loss. Tipped the Bombers by 24 so I'm happy.

The Underdog
23-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Tippett looks like he's going to be a huge loss. Tipped the Bombers by 24 so I'm happy.

I only tipped them by 8 but saw the win coming a mile off. Now for the drop off...

chef
23-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I only tipped them by 8 but saw the win coming a mile off. Now for the drop off...

Me too. I don't think that Adelaide are that good and after the summer Essendon had they had something to prove.

The Underdog
23-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Me too. I don't think that Adelaide are that good and after the summer Essendon had they had something to prove.

I thought the motivation for them would be too strong. It's not often I tip against Adelaide at home or even tip against the better side, but this game just had huge importance for Essendon. I don't think they'll be a great side this year but that one was about as important as a game will be for them this year.
I will now proceed to tip the rest of the game's incorrectly.
Would like to see the Eagles vs Dockers game tonight, should be pretty interesting. Two pretty close sides playing what is generally a high intensity game in round one. A lot of factors that could send it either way. Freo not having 2 of their first choice rucks might start behind the 8 ball a little.

The Adelaide Connection
23-03-2013, 03:15 PM

I went along last night and I don't think Tippett missing was the real issue, as mentioned they were smashed from stoppages and I think Callinan being out hurt their forward structure more. So often the ball came to ground from a marking contest in their forward 50 and there was no-one to crumb it at their feet, which is his bread and butter. He could have kicked 5 in his sleep.

The Crows clearly had an objective to kick long to space and have Walker (at first) and then Petrenko (who was matched up on Fletcher) run onto it, but they could never get it long enough and it kept falling down the defenders throats. They looked much better when they went lateral and used their runners. Walker's strengths are clearly on the lead and it is like they didn't realise that till the last quarter.

On a separate note, I think we should get ASADA in next year to galvanise our supporters and help us reach record numbers. Impressive amount of Bombers made the trip over and I think some of them thought they had won the Grand final even just at half time.

lemmon
23-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Agree that the sliding rule is terrible, whatever happened to lower and harder?

Remi Moses
24-03-2013, 02:00 AM
Freo very impressive after half time.
Barlow and Mundy very prominent, and thought Griffin was heroic in the ruck.
The Pav looked underdone , and they're very Pav conscious.
West Coast left the door open and should have been further up .
Eagles injuries definetely hurting

Remi Moses
24-03-2013, 02:22 AM
The old Josh Hill we know and love was on display tonight

jeemak
24-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Agree that the sliding rule is terrible, whatever happened to lower and harder?

Someone else has mentioned it, but there really wasn't a need to invent another rule to solve any of the sliding/head first type of issues.

In fact, all that needed to be done was stop paying free kicks for too high for players that do it! Then ping them for holding the ball if they do slide in, grab the ball and don't dispose of it correctly or quickly.

Problem solved.

But instead, true to form, people within the AFL need to justify their existences by creating another level of processes for others to follow and adapt to.

What a waste of time.

bornadog
24-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Someone else has mentioned it, but there really wasn't a need to invent another rule to solve any of the sliding/head first type of issues.

In fact, all that needed to be done was stop paying free kicks for too high for players that do it! Then ping them for holding the ball if they do slide in, grab the ball and don't dispose of it correctly or quickly.

Problem solved.

But instead, true to form, people within the AFL need to justify their existences by creating another level of processes for others to follow and adapt to.

What a waste of time.

and another rule with grey areas that can be interrupted different ways by different umpires

jeemak
25-03-2013, 12:01 AM
and another rule with grey areas that can be interrupted different ways by different umpires

Good point.

I'm yelling at the umpires more than I ever have in the past, but it's not about their incompetence for the most part. Unfortunately they're bearing the wrath their overlords should be.

The game is unnessecarily complicated already from an umpiring perspective, it's completely insane that the AFL would make it harder for them.

jazzadogs
25-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Good point.

I'm yelling at the umpires more than I ever have in the past, but it's not about their incompetence for the most part. Unfortunately they're bearing the wrath their overlords should be.

The game is unnessecarily complicated already from an umpiring perspective, it's completely insane that the AFL would make it harder for them.
The look on the face of the umpire who paid the free to Davey against Reilly on Friday night said it all. You could see that he actually felt guilty, and sorry for the player, but by the letter of the law he did exactly the right thing.

LostDoggy
28-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Carlton v Richmond.
You know you're a one eyed dogs fan when you are hoping both teams lose.

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Bring back Ratts.

Sedat
28-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Richmond absolutely gassed it late on, Yarran really should have centred it to McLean and it would have been all she wrote.

Jack Reiwoldt continues to be the most overhyped, overrated player in the competition.

Remi Moses
28-03-2013, 11:32 PM
That game threw up more questions than answers.
Yarran should have kicked that every day of the week.
Oh Dear, Tiges getting a little to excited for mine.
Bryce Gibbs still playing on his own terms as are a few others.

Bulldog Joe
29-03-2013, 07:41 AM
That game threw up more questions than answers.
Yarran should have kicked that every day of the week.
Oh Dear, Tiges getting a little to excited for mine.
Bryce Gibbs still playing on his own terms as are a few others.

I didn't see much to fault with Gibbs game. He even got the ball in close and fed it out a few times.

Yarran certainly wasted the chance. Was it also Yarran that allowed Rance to mark unopposed earlier in the game when he had every chance to make the contest ?

Remi Moses
29-03-2013, 02:02 PM
I didn't see much to fault with Gibbs game. He even got the ball in close and fed it out a few times.

Yarran certainly wasted the chance. Was it also Yarran that allowed Rance to mark unopposed earlier in the game when he had every chance to make the contest ?

Intersting hearing Josh Fraser on the ABC .
Made a point of Gibbs not doing the team things.

Remi Moses
30-03-2013, 09:42 PM
This coverage of the GC Stkilda game is painful.
The Blokey taking the urine out of one another drives me to distraction!:eek:

Greystache
31-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Great to see St Kilda get humiliated by Gold Coast. They seem to be flying under the radar in the media but they are a weak team being kept from obliteration by aging veterans. Their supporters should be terrified, they have very few decent kids coming through to replace their key players and they're about to lose 5 of them. I can see St Kilda winning several spoons in the next few years.

jeemak
31-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Great to see St Kilda get humiliated by Gold Coast. They seem to be flying under the radar in the media but they are a weak team being kept from obliteration by aging veterans. Their supporters should be terrified, they have very few decent kids coming through to replace their key players and they're about to lose 5 of them. I can see St Kilda winning several spoons in the next few years.

Kind of like ourselves?

Without Giansiracusa, Murphy and Morris we'd have looked a touch weaker today, particularly with Boyd off the park.

To be fair to your comment though, I don't know a lot about St Kilda's emerging players. I like the way Siposs moves, and Steven looks to be a pretty good player in the making. Agree it will be an interesting few years for them.

Remi Moses
31-03-2013, 01:58 AM
I've been going to and fro with some of their deluded fans on BF.
They're going to pay for some awful trade and list decisions.
They seem to have traded in to many small forwards types.

Remi Moses
31-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Kind of like ourselves?

Without Giansiracusa, Murphy and Morris we'd have looked a touch weaker today, particularly with Boyd off the park.

To be fair to your comment though, I don't know a lot about St Kilda's emerging players. I like the way Siposs moves, and Steven looks to be a pretty good player in the making. Agree it will be an interesting few years for them.

I think they've showed their cards by drafting in players in their early 20's .
In fairness like we have, but I think our younger brigade have a head start .

jeemak
31-03-2013, 02:06 AM
I've been going to and fro with some of their deluded fans on BF.
They're going to pay for some awful trade and list decisions.
They seem to have traded in to many small forwards types.

I haven't locked horns on BF for ages. Thought about checking it out today, after our win but just couldn't handle the buffoonery!

Remi Moses
31-03-2013, 04:11 AM
Pimply faced keyboard warriors are everywhere on it

Maddog37
31-03-2013, 11:24 AM
It is greatly improved of late IMHO.

Remi Moses
31-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I know it's early, but what is the Melbourne game plan?
Jack Viney is their best player! An indictment on the rest of their list.
Jack Watts has no work ethic, in fact the whole side hasn't.
An awful incident for Pedersen ducking his head in a marking contest.( being reminded constantly)
Ollie Wines looks impressive also , in fact Port look an improved outfit under Hinkley.

Greystache
31-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Kind of like ourselves?

I wouldn't say say. Murphy and Morris don't seem to have a natural replacement as yet, but I think the depth is there to cover Gia (Dickson, Higgins, Stringer), and Boyd and Cross (Libba, Stevens, Smith, Wallis). Lake is already gone and Roughead looks to be developing quicker than expected at FB.

At St Kilda Sipposs might be ok, Mcevoy is already their number 1 ruck, Stevens has come on now, and Saad might become a player, but I haven't seen much more. That doesn't replace Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Milne, and Fisher who are all 30+ and the best 6 players at the club. Other than Melbourne who look a rabble with a list they continue to try to make worse I can't see another club with less upside than St Kilda.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2013, 08:34 PM
What can be said about Melbourne that hasn't already?

I was working at the game so I only saw bits and pieces, but they are absolutely pathetic.

Eastdog
31-03-2013, 08:53 PM

I was working at the game so I only saw bits and pieces, but they are absolutely pathetic.

My Mum is a Melbourne supporter and thought they were terrible too. They should have looked at us yesterday and believed they could get a big win because not too many gave us a chance.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2013, 08:58 PM

They have some good kids in their side. What they lack is a bit of common sense leadership. Their board is pathetic ( tanking scandle; it kills the culture of a club)
Jack Grimes as captain is lunacy. They're always making daft decisions.
Viney is the only thing that's gone right for them,best on field ( sad isn't it ) and only then because of the father and son rule they couldn't stuff it up.

Maddog37
31-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Anyone else have doubts on Neeld?

I get no sense of charisma or leadership from him.......

Remi Moses
31-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't say say. Murphy and Morris don't seem to have a natural replacement as yet, but I think the depth is there to cover Gia (Dickson, Higgins, Stringer), and Boyd and Cross (Libba, Stevens, Smith, Wallis). Lake is already gone and Roughead looks to be developing quicker than expected at FB.

At St Kilda Sipposs might be ok, Mcevoy is already their number 1 ruck, Stevens has come on now, and Saad might become a player, but I haven't seen much more. That doesn't replace Riewoldt, Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Milne, and Fisher who are all 30+ and the best 6 players at the club. Other than Melbourne who look a rabble with a list they continue to try to make worse I can't see another club with less upside than St Kilda.

Couldn't agree more . I think we've got the mids covered , but Murphy and Morris will be hard.

Remi Moses
31-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Anyone else have doubts on Neeld?

I get no sense of charisma or leadership from him.......

He's going to feel some heat if they don't improve.
He has recruited for a quick jolt up the table, but some of those he brought in are very average. They look to me to have no game plan or if they have one the players haven't embraced it. They also don't work hard enough, and Port smashed them in uncontested ball.

F'scary
31-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Enjoying the Dees. Enjoying the Dees. Schadenfreude at its best.

Remi Moses
01-04-2013, 07:39 PM
The curse continues .
It's getting to billy goat proportions
Hawks had Mitchell Sewell and Lewis star again and not win.
They need some help and their forward line looked without buddy firing looked poor.
Buddy seemed more intent on fighting and carrying on than getting the ball.
Varcoe is a big inclusion for this season , and gotta admire their recruiting .