PDA

View Full Version : Dogs primed for round one

bornadog
18-03-2013, 11:06 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-03-18/dogs-primed-for-round-1)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/273103-tlsnewsportrait_zpscccfac01.jpg

Strategy and Opposition Coach Brett Montgomery says the Western Bulldogs are better equipped to compete for sustained periods this season, evidenced in an improved NAB Cup campaign.

Excluding the Fremantle game where the Club fielded a largely inexperienced side, the Bulldogs have led at eight of the twelve breaks during their NAB Cup campaign.

Montgomery said that while the Bulldogs started the season promisingly last year - winning five of their first eleven matches - the current line-up should remain competitive for longer, with another pre-season under their belts.

“We started the year ok last year and we were starting to see what this group can produce and then it just fell away, late in games, late in [the] season,” Montgomery said.

“I think through this pre-season, take out one week, [we’ve] been fairly successful in being able to sustain it.”

The Bulldogs were in front at each of the first three changes against Richmond on Saturday and remained in the game late into the fourth term, clawing back the margin to a mere three points before the Tigers kicked a final major and confirmed the win.

One major positive from the weekend’s clash was Dale Morris’s ability to shut down powerhouse forward Jack Riewoldt, as he continues to impress on return from 18 months on the sidelines.

“We thought it was about time that Dale got some more confidence and got back to where he’s come from,” Montgomery said.

“Probably the conditions, as well as the way he attacked the game were a direct result of that.”

Adam Cooney is another who is finding form ahead of round one, after undergoing knee treatment early in the pre-season - finding 24 clearances, four inside 50s, eight clearances and a goal against a near full strength Richmond outfit.

Montgomery said the progress of both veterans had been running smoothly, with Morris and Cooney able to play out each game as planned.

“First of all, they got the minutes that we planned for… I would have thought [the pre-season] went perfectly to plan for those two,” he said.

The extended interchange during this year’s NAB Cup has given a number of young Bulldogs players the opportunity to press for senior selection in round one and Montgomery said competition for spots will be heated with nearly a full list to choose from.

“Barring maybe one or two I think we will have just about everyone to choose from,” he said.

LostDoggy
19-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Great return from Adam and sounds like a flashback to Dale per-injury.