PDA

View Full Version : Good Friday Footy!

Throughandthrough
22-03-2013, 11:20 AM
I vote yes.

Glenelg in the SANFL opens their season next Friday (Good Friday) night under lights @ South Adelaide.

Many (all?) sports play Good Friday, NBA basketball plays Christmas Day, fgs.

And obvoiusly a few people will feel strongly about not going for strong personal reasons, i fully respect your beliefs, but no reason why i cant go!

The Underdog
22-03-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm not Christian and have no problem with it. There is the argument in Victoria that it takes away from the Childrens' hospital appeal but I'm sure they could link the 2 together and really try to use the game to raise more cash/awareness.
I think it will happen eventually and I'm all for it.

SlimPickens
22-03-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm for it. I see as a chance for the AFL to do something positive in conjunction with the Good Friday appeal.

I worked a Melbourne storm game years ago on Good Friday, there were close to 40,000 people at the docklands that night. All whilst the appeal was going on in the victory room, it was really positive and gave the appeal even more exposure.

I really think the AFL continue to drop the ball on this one.

LostDoggy
22-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm not Christian and have no problem with it. There is the argument in Victoria that it takes away from the Childrens' hospital appeal but I'm sure they could link the 2 together and really try to use the game to raise more cash/awareness.
I think it will happen eventually and I'm all for it.

Who spearheads this argument? :eek:
Good Friday has traditionally been my most hated, boring day on the calendar. By all means donate and do whatever to help the kids, but I don't want to meet the person who's idea of enjoyment is sitting in front of the tube watching the GFA for 10 hours, and feels that other peopel should do the same.

I went and watched Gisborne Vs Kyneton (RIP) last year. Saw Jack "The Giant Killer" Redpath their checking out his old team. had a great day.

LostDoggy
22-03-2013, 12:06 PM
I'm for it. I see as a chance for the AFL to do something positive in conjunction with the Good Friday appeal.

I worked a Melbourne storm game years ago on Good Friday, there were close to 40,000 people at the docklands that night. All whilst the appeal was going on in the victory room, it was really positive and gave the appeal even more exposure.

I really think the AFL continue to drop the ball on this one.

I was at that game, it was great. I think it helped raise more money as there were collectors outside the ground and activities going on inside the ground. Storm are also playing on Good Friday this year, unfortunately in Brisbane though.

Eastdog
22-03-2013, 12:10 PM
This Easter coming up doesn't include people who are Orthodox. Orthodox Easter is in May this year.

bornadog
22-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Every Good Friday, Bulldogs versus Geelong at Kardinia Park, night time match. Lets make it happen and share the spoils.

hujsh
22-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeppppp.

If Christians want the day off let them have it but doesn't mean the rest of us can't enjoy the footy if we want to. I will also eat nothing but meat that day, just because I can.

craigsahibee
22-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Every Good Friday, Bulldogs versus Geelong at Kardinia Park, night time match. Lets make it happen and share the spoils.

Great idea.

Although I can see us being crucified just like JC all those years ago. ;)

Throughandthrough
22-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Great idea.

Although I can see us being crucified just like JC all those years ago. ;)

Why settle for Kardinia?

Use the G and make it a traditional blockbuster

(Before a big club steals it)

Ozza
22-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I couldn't be MORE, FOR Good Friday footy. Such a boring day. No footy, no racing....nothing open!!!

bornadog
22-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Why settle for Kardinia?

Use the G and make it a traditional blockbuster

(Before a big club steals it)

Make more money at KP and a good way to sell to AFL

Greystache
22-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Make more money at KP and a good way to sell to AFL

If we're the only game in town it's not unreasonable to expect 60K+ year after year at the MCG. It could be a game that neutrals attend given there's nothing else on. Revenue would be similar and the exposure would be even better.

Maybe against Essendon or Carlton given our relative proximity to RCH

Mantis
22-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I couldn't be MORE, FOR Good Friday footy. Such a boring day. No footy, no racing....nothing open!!!

Good Friday is a great day to put in the hard yards with the family.... Just don't tell them that you're only present as there is nothing else to do. ;)

Bulldog4life
22-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Yeppppp.

If Christians want the day off let them have it but doesn't mean the rest of us can't enjoy the footy if we want to. I will also eat nothing but meat that day, just because I can.

Made me laugh. I'm with you too hujsh.

Hotdog60
22-03-2013, 09:17 PM
We'll suggest it, the AFL will say ok great idea we'll run with it, it will end up Colliingwood v Carlton.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2013, 10:18 PM
I so want to go to the gathering of the pack. But I have to go back to western Vic for Easter. Would have been better to have it this weekend gone.

Remi Moses
24-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Well we play on the bloody sabbath.
So why does it matter playing Good Friday?

bornadog
23-07-2015, 06:43 PM
The club should start pushing for this and make next Good Friday as our season opener.

bornadog
22-03-2016, 02:59 PM
AFL still fluffing around with this.

AFL to have 'good look' at Good Friday football in 2017 (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-22/afl-to-have-good-look-at-good-friday-football-in-2017?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)
FOOTY on Good Friday could be played next season.

Speaking at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast on Tuesday morning, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said the League would "have a good look" at the issue ahead of the 2017 season.

McLachlan hinted Good Friday football might have been considered for this season had the opening round not fallen on the Easter weekend.

"We didn't play again this year because Easter is the opening round and there's a few games we play – Richmond-Carlton to open the season and Hawthorn-Geelong on Easter Monday," he said.

"We'll have a good look at that for next year.

"Given Easter doesn't open (next season) there'll be a better look at it."

While the AFL starts its season on Thursday, and then plays again on Saturday, rival NRL is staging a blockbuster on Good Friday with reigning champions North Queensland facing the 2015 runner-up Brisbane Broncos.

McLachlan said it was time for Gold Coast to make a finals push after five seasons in the AFL competition.

"They need to start playing finals sooner rather than later," he said.

"The club expects that; I know the playing group expects that. It's time.

"That's not me saying that, that's what the players are telling me and what the club is telling me."

Speaking at the launch of 150 years of Australian football in Queensland, McLachlan said the League would also discuss upping initial draft contracts from two years to three.

"I think it's worth having a look at," he said.

"I haven't thought whether it's a good or bad idea. I know it will get discussed.

"It's been tabled by a number of clubs. I'm not sure all clubs support it. It's a good discussion."

chef
22-03-2016, 03:30 PM
I don't get whats the big deal, majority of Australians aren't going to church anymore.

Lets move with the times.

Twodogs
22-03-2016, 05:15 PM
I don't get whats the big deal, majority of Australians aren't going to church anymore.

And it's not preventing people from going to church to celebrate.

bornadog
22-03-2016, 05:25 PM

The AFL don't know who to give it to. They know North and us have lobbied for it but they are reluctant to give it to a minnow club. They want to see the Carlton's Collingwoods, Richmonds or Essendons in there, but they will be criticised as they already play each other twice, plus they have plenty of Block busters and Essendon are a disgrace, Carlton can't play football.

If the AFL are serious about equalisation, and want to build this competition, they should make it WBulldogs v North and let us build our exposure and memberships.

Twodogs
22-03-2016, 06:34 PM
The AFL don't know who to give it to. They know North and us have lobbied for it but they are reluctant to give it to a minnow club. They want to see the Carlton's Collingwoods, Richmonds or Essendons in there, but they will be criticised as they already play each other twice, plus they have plenty of Block busters and Essendon are a disgrace, Carlton can't play football.

If the AFL are serious about equalisation, and want to build this competition, they should make it WBulldogs v North and let us build our exposure and memberships.

The commission probably want interstate blockbusters outside of derbies/showdowns/bridgiewidgies/itsinsaneplayinginthisheats. I bet Sydney/GWS get it.

GVGjr
22-03-2016, 06:48 PM

While I think we are owed a run at it perhaps the AFL don't think we can draw a good enough crowd? Some of our crowds last season were deplorable especially given we were in very good form. Is the onus on us to prove we can get our members to come to games before we are given a highly sort after slot?

Greystache
22-03-2016, 07:16 PM
While I think we are owed a run at it perhaps the AFL don't think we can draw a good enough crowd? Some of our crowds last season were deplorable especially given we were in very good form. Is the onus on us to prove we can get our members to come to games before we are given a highly sort after slot?

Given we're intentionally fixtured a schedule to prevent us drawing decent crowds there's a good chance the AFL will use that as an excuse to give it to the usual suspects, but it doesn't hold water. The few decent drawing games we've got in recent years have pulled sizable crowds, for example last year Collingwood got 40k despite being a Sunday at Etihad, Norf was 30k as well. Carlton got 16,000 against GWS for a twilight game in one of the few unfavorable fixtures they received but that doesn't seem to stop the AFL from giving them never ending prime time slots to ensure they can still point to decent crowds.

It's like a racing team giving one driver a formula 1 and another a Datsun 120Y then pointing to the end result and saying they were right to do it because he proved he could drive faster.

jeemak
22-03-2016, 07:33 PM
A game against Norf at Etihad would sell out, and the TV audience would be huge considering there's nothing else on TV on Good Friday.

'stache is correct though, the fixture is rigged so certain teams prosper and others don't providing the vehicle for the AFL to maintain the status quo.

GVGjr
22-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Given we're intentionally fixtured a schedule to prevent us drawing decent crowds there's a good chance the AFL will use that as an excuse to give it to the usual suspects, but it doesn't hold water. The few decent drawing games we've got in recent years have pulled sizable crowds, for example last year Collingwood got 40k despite being a Sunday at Etihad, Norf was 30k as well. Carlton got 16,000 against GWS for a twilight game in one of the few unfavorable fixtures they received but that doesn't seem to stop the AFL from giving them never ending prime time slots to ensure they can still point to decent crowds.

It's like a racing team giving one driver a formula 1 and another a Datsun 120Y then pointing to the end result and saying they were right to do it because he proved he could drive faster.

I'm not really worried about the short comings of clubs like Carlton, Essendon or any other.
The concern for me is that we are given Good Friday but only attract a crowd of sub 30K which I just don't think that is going to cut it.
We play entertaining and exciting footy but I still think our own supporters don't believe they're needed at the games.
If we were to draw 40K it might build some momentum though.

North are also strong at the moment so if we can both attract a crowd that would be great.

GVGjr
22-03-2016, 07:40 PM
A game against Norf at Etihad would sell out, and the TV audience would be huge considering there's nothing else on TV on Good Friday.

'stache is correct though, the fixture is rigged so certain teams prosper and others don't providing the vehicle for the AFL to maintain the status quo.

The TV audience would be strong no question and it would be great if we could pull sell out crowd numbers at the game.

I hope you are right

jeemak
22-03-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm not really worried about the short comings of clubs like Carlton, Essendon or any other.
The concern for me is that we are given Good Friday but only attract a crowd of sub 30K which I just don't think that is going to cut it.
We play entertaining and exciting footy but I still think our own supporters don't believe they're needed at the games.

North are also strong at the moment so if we can both attract a crowd that would be great.

I'll be interested to see our attendance this weekend with another difficult Easter time slot to deal with against yet again, a low drawing interstate club that we've been ordinary against in recent times.

If there was a 1pm Easter Sunday game against Freo we should draw a decent crowd to it's this one.

Twodogs
22-03-2016, 09:03 PM
I wish the bloody game would start now.

hujsh
22-03-2016, 10:21 PM
If someone gets a prop up it'll be Melbourne. Melbourne vs Hawks or Geelong or something

bulldogtragic
22-03-2016, 10:29 PM
If someone gets a prop up it'll be Melbourne. Melbourne vs Hawks or Geelong or something

Like the Queens Birthday blockbuster that gets about 30,000 despite being the only game on in Australia.

I like 'Staches F1 analogy, bang on.

bornadog
22-03-2016, 11:03 PM
AFL 360 backed us in tonight and Robbo even used some of my words. :p

bulldogtragic
23-03-2016, 12:06 AM
AFL 360 backed us in tonight and Robbo even used some of my words. :p

Which ones in particular?

Dur. Um. You know. No. I don't know. Nah. I love James Hird.

Throughandthrough
23-03-2016, 12:29 AM
Meanwhile, the little old Sanfl has two different matches on this Friday. I'll be going to one of them.

Greystache
23-03-2016, 12:30 AM

I don't care what clubs like Carlton do either, but I do object to being told we need to be more like clubs like Carlton when they're fresh off the back of their 3rd Friday night game at the MCG for the month against Collingwood, meanwhile we've just played GWS at Etihad on a Sunday twilight to make it our 8th home game for the season against a non-Melbourne based team. The difference in crowd figures in like for like fixtures is massively overstated, it's just the AFL fixtures the competition to ensure none of their minnows get to prove that.

Don't give someone a teaspoon and then tell them off for not moving as much dirt as the guy you gave a bulldozer. Only a sport as insular as the AFL that's covered by a media that openly barrack for their own team could allow such an obvious contradiction to become fact.

craigsahibee
23-03-2016, 12:17 PM
I'll be interested to see our attendance this weekend with another difficult Easter time slot to deal with against yet again, a low drawing interstate club that we've been ordinary against in recent times.

If there was a 1pm Easter Sunday game against Freo we should draw a decent crowd to it's this one.

Still tossing up whether I drive from camping at Taggerty for the game.

We really do get shafted at Easter. But hey, lets reward two of the more better performed teams of the last 15 years in Carlton and Richmond with their now 5 year old traditional season opener on the Thursday night before Good Friday. Makes sense.

bornadog
23-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Still tossing up whether I drive from camping at Taggerty for the game.

Its only a two hour drive to Etihad and then three back with the grid lock:D

I haven't been to an Easter game for ages, but this year I gave up going to Thredbo to do some hiking. I can't wait.

aker39
28-04-2016, 10:34 AM
KB says the Dogs & Kangas should get Good Friday game.
https://audioboom.com/boos/4492610-kb-s-take-north-v-bulldogs-for-good-friday-footy

bulldogtragic
28-04-2016, 10:36 AM
If both clubs can sell Friday night out, that's a big legitimate claim for the game.

Greystache
28-04-2016, 03:51 PM
It's hard to see the current AFL administration not giving it to Carlton. I think ideally they'd like to give it to Essendon and Carlton but they probably realise they couldn't get away with it without a backlash given their current states. So expect it'll be Carlton vs Norf or us with Norf probably more likely.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2016, 05:36 PM
It's hard to see the current AFL administration not giving it to Carlton. I think ideally they'd like to give it to Essendon and Carlton but they probably realise they couldn't get away with it without a backlash given their current states. So expect it'll be Carlton vs Norf or us with Norf probably more likely.

The only problem is if the game coincides with the opening round Richmond vs Carlton. I've been binge watching House of Cards and was thinking Brayshaw publicly saying it should be North vs Carlton is a ploy to cosy up to them and the AFEL knowing if there's a clash and it doesn't happen. They get some brownie points and it ends up North vs Dogs. They get the game still, but bank up points with 'a big club' and the AFEL. Typical Underwood move.

Twodogs
28-04-2016, 06:00 PM
The only problem is if the game coincides with the opening round Richmond vs Carlton. I've been binge watching House of Cards and was thinking Brayshaw publicly saying it should be North vs Carlton is a ploy to cosy up to them and the AFEL knowing if there's a clash and it doesn't happen. They get some brownie points and it ends up North vs Dogs. They get the game still, but bank up points with 'a big club' and the AFEL. Typical Underwood move.

I think maybe you should take a break from House of Cards for a bit.

bulldogtragic
28-04-2016, 06:08 PM
I think maybe you should take a break from House of Cards for a bit.

That's what Francis Urqhart or Frank Underwood would say...

Greystache
28-04-2016, 06:13 PM

You could well be right, but it would also be a convenient reason to give it to Essendon when that does occur. Then it could evolve into the "traditional" Carlton vs Essendon Good Friday game at the G and Norf could fill in on the rare occassion Carlton isn't available, just to show the AFL are all about equalisation.

bornadog
22-07-2016, 03:42 PM
AFL still can't make up their mind on Good Friday. Surely it's a no brainer, the public will fully support it and we can play North.:)

LostDoggy
22-07-2016, 06:18 PM
AFL still can't make up their mind on Good Friday. Surely it's a no brainer, the public will fully support it and we can play North.:)

Ahh yes BAD but don't forget we have to ask all the other clubs if they would be O.K with 2 smaller clubs taking away the prime time slot from all the Big 4 clubs.
What a CROCK OF SHIT!!!!!:mad:

LostDoggy
22-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Jobe "Barista" Watson's brownlow says hello.:mad:

Eastdog
22-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Ahh yes BAD but don't forget we have to ask all the other clubs if they would be O.K with 2 smaller clubs taking away the prime time slot from all the Big 4 clubs.
What a CROCK OF SHIT!!!!!:mad:

It really Good Friday be an opportunity for the "smaller" clubs to get their foot in to a marquee fixture.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2016, 07:26 PM
If Hurley decides he wants to come to us, you'd better believe the AFEL will threaten to withhold us getting near this if we pursue the free agency angle with him.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2016, 09:05 PM
With PGs comments about Cairns making more money in one game than all our well attended Etihad games this year combined, then is this game the financial reward we think it is?? Sure it's good for the fans to have a blockbuster game, but it's not going to generate the big revenue every second year for us. So on my post above with two scenarios:

1) Get Hurley as a free agent, keep our first rounder and a listed player we'd want to ideally keep. Told to forget about the GF game.
2) Get a commitment that we might be considered for a GF game.

Scenario one gives us a better chance at a premiership. Scenario two doesn't, nor does it make a lot of money. So I'm a scenario 1 kind of guy.

Bulldog4life
22-07-2016, 09:12 PM
With PGs comments about Cairns making more money in one game than all our well attended Etihad games this year combined, then is this game the financial reward we think it is?? Sure it's good for the fans to have a blockbuster game, but it's not going to generate the big revenue every second year for us. So on my post above with two scenarios:

1) Get Hurley as a free agent, keep our first rounder and a listed player we'd want to ideally keep. Told to forget about the GF game.
2) Get a commitment that we might be considered for a GF game.

Scenario one gives us a better chance at a premiership. Scenario two doesn't, nor does it make a lot of money. So I'm a scenario 1 kind of guy.

I was hopng your GFwas for Grand Final BT

Bulldog4life
22-07-2016, 09:13 PM
I was hopng your GFwas for Grand Final BT

If so scenario 2 for me....

bulldogtragic
22-07-2016, 09:27 PM
If so scenario 2 for me....

Scenario one theoretically is about Grand Final Day
Scenario two theoretically is about being left on the hook for Good Fri Day

Bulldog4life
22-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Scenario one theoretically is about Grand Final Day
Scenario two theoretically is about being left on the hook for Good Fri Day

Now I get it. Scenario 1 for me too

bulldogtragic
22-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Now I get it. Scenario 1 for me too

Sorry to be convoluted. We are not even near certain to get Good Friday so the threat of not being considered anymore for a game which won't make much money (for us anyway) is nothing compared to getting Hurley as a FA, keeping our first rounder and keeping a player Essendon would want. We've upset the cartel bosses before for long term gain, so let's do it again.

bornadog
26-07-2016, 12:05 AM
Prepare for Good Friday football, with commission tipped to approve 4pm match in 2017 (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-prepare-for-good-friday-football-with-commission-tipped-to-approve-4pm-match-in-2017-20160725-gqdjki.html)
Caro thinks it will be Dogs v Saints

LostDoggy
26-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Prepare for Good Friday football, with commission tipped to approve 4pm match in 2017 (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-prepare-for-good-friday-football-with-commission-tipped-to-approve-4pm-match-in-2017-20160725-gqdjki.html)

Caro thinks it will be Dogs v Saints

At least Good Friday won't fall on a Saturday night...

chef
26-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Apparently out of us, Blues, Saints, Cats and Norf for the game.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2016, 07:29 PM

Poor Carlton. With only 4 or more blockbusters a year, they are doing it tough to get a big game & attention.

chef
26-07-2016, 07:31 PM
Poor Carlton. With only 4 or more blockbusters a year, they are doing it tough to get a big game & attention.

Cats would be out with their Easter Monday blockbuster with the Hawks already.

Anyone know what the other 4s average attendances are like this season?

comrade
26-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Yep, the Cats need support. Having their own stadium, own city, huge revenues and sponsorship isn't enough.

hujsh
27-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Yep, the Cats need support. Having their own stadium, own city, huge revenues and sponsorship isn't enough.

That was my exact thought.

Axe Man
06-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Western Bulldogs likely to feature in Good Friday game after AFL Commission approves the push (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-likely-to-feature-in-good-friday-game-after-afl-commission-approves-the-push/news-story/6d77ec6b336871214aa07f7c0606c805)

THE Western Bulldogs have roared into favouritism as a Good Friday participant after their epic Grand Final charge.

The league will play Good Friday football for the first time next year in a twilight spot after receiving AFL Commission approval.

North Melbourne is also in a strong position to win a Good Friday berth after lobbying for the slot for decades.

The AFL said on Wednesday it had not ruled out rotating the two teams involved every year, with the fixture out in late October.

But with the Dogs suddenly everyone’s favourite side and having made a strong submission their claims would be hard to overlook.

Dogs chief executive Gary Kent said on Wednesday the club had put in what it believed was a “compelling” submission.

“We thought it was a terrific joint proposal with St Kilda about what we would do with the Royal Children’s Hospital,” he said.

“It would also connect with the local football community in terms of fundraising but also making it a real community day.

“We thought it was compelling from that perspective. This is not a cash grab, this is more consistent with what Good Friday is all about.

“If you look at our ratings in the last four weeks of the year they were excellent and we are very exciting to watch and getting a lot of eyeballs watching our games.”

Carlton has told the Herald Sun it is still lobbying hard to be included, with St Kilda putting in their joint submission along with the Bulldogs.

The Dogs, which played three Friday night games this year, all of a sudden have the power to demand marquee fixturing slots.

A twilight game in Melbourne seems the most likely, with the contest integrated into Channel Seven’s Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.

The view within the AFL is that North Melbourne has been so persistent in its lobbying it would be incredibly unlucky to miss out.

AFL fixturing boss Travis Auld told the Herald Sun the league had a difficult decision given the clamouring to play in the historic game.

“Basically we know now we have the support of the Commission if we decide we want to go ahead with it. Now it’s about getting the right mix of teams and the balance of the fixture,’’ he said.

“There is plenty of interest in it so we have still got to determine which market to play it in, but we are not short of interest from teams playing in that slot.

“We have to take into account other requests clubs might have, where the game will be played and what venue.

“We have to take into account the level of interest of clubs and the relevance to the day and the length of time the club has been interested in it.”

Adelaide chairman Rob Chapman this year also pushed for the Crows to be given a slice of Good Friday football, with a rotating schedule possible.

“What is possible is you rotate which teams play on Good Friday if you continue it on,’’ Auld said.

“It is something that could be flexible. We don’t know if that is something we will do. If we decide we do it in Victoria we need to complement the appeal. It is an iconic part of the day and it’s very important to our partners.”

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Bring It On!

Topdog
06-10-2016, 12:15 PM
We are really building some momentum

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 12:27 PM
I want it for just us, but the AFEL is about themselves... Why not involve three teams? Two teams start, the loser drops out and the third team comes in for the following year. And repeat, the winner keeps playing on GF and losers drop out/gets relegated for a year. It could really add a bit of spice to the game as its not only 4 points, its playing prime time on the only game that day. In fact, why not do it for for many of the other blockbuster games. It gives winning teams the chance to make the games the best they can be.

hujsh
06-10-2016, 12:46 PM
I like it as us vs St Kilda. Two young teams with a rivalry and some close games in recent history. North on the way down and can't even get people to the farewell match for Boomer, Petrie etc

No rotations. If the ANZAC, Dreamtime, Easter Monday, Queens birthday, opening game etc get to be the same teams every year then we should get one too.

We've got our premiership and momentum's on our side. Let's set up the club for decades of success now.

1eyedog
06-10-2016, 12:47 PM
Nah want it every year as our home game.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2016, 12:49 PM
I like it as us vs St Kilda. Two young teams with a rivalry and some close games in recent history. North on the way down and can't even get people to the farewell matche for Boomer, Petrie etc

No rotations. If the ANZAC, Dreamtime, Easter Monday, Queens birthday, opening game etc get to be the same teams every year then we should get one too.

We've got our premiership and momentum's on our side. Let's set up the club for decades of success now.

I agree, if they made it a tri-series then its for all the big games and we'd be asking for inclusion into Anzac Day. But if not then just us and St Kilda. I assume they'd be alternating home team each year. If we get it next year and as the home team, I hope like hell there's a new Etihad deal or we won't make much money from a sold out stadium.

bornadog
06-10-2016, 02:39 PM
All I can say is *!*!*!*! OFF Carlton greedy bastards

hujsh
06-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Lot's of moaning from North fans that we steal their ideas. Never heard that one before.

You'd think that if they'd put in a proposal with us it'd be a sure thing. Instead they were the only one of the 4 teams to only put it in with one other club (Carlton of all people). Silly

chef
24-04-2019, 08:18 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/superfooty/status/1120959840820424705

angelopetraglia
24-04-2019, 08:36 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/superfooty/status/1120959840820424705

If that is what happens, it’s an absolute disgrace. How many games do the Bombers get? Cheating does pay!!!

bulldogtragic
24-04-2019, 08:39 PM
This is probably why PG said very recently he won't spend a single second more of the issue.

Whatever.

The Adelaide Connection
24-04-2019, 09:50 PM
If that is what happens, it’s an absolute disgrace. How many games do the Bombers get? Cheating does pay!!!

It’s weird that they would move to lock it in. What is the incentive in that for the AFL?

Conspiracy theory: Essendon have threatened to sue Gil due to something he got up to in the drugs scandal. There were allegations floating around that he was up to shenanigans. Essendon vow to let it go if he locks them in to Good Friday for another 20 odd years. Handshake. Nothing to see here.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Absolutely stinks, sick of the same old clubs getting everything.

Sedat
25-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Did we not pull or weight with regard to actively promoting the game in 2017? That's the slur that has been cast against our club, and has been seemingly unchallenged out in the public domain. Only Gordo and the inner sanctum know if we did enough or left it up to Norf to do all the heavy lifting, but the silence and the lack of fight suggests it wasn't 100% off the mark. Why else would we simply let this die without fighting tooth and nail to keep it?

bornadog
10-04-2020, 01:36 PM
Shame - should have been playing tonight.

In the meantime two thrillers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChNEjBVS_aM

jeemak
10-04-2020, 02:31 PM
I didn't think it was possible to make Good Friday more boring than it usually is...……….anyway, it's always nice being surprised.