PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R1 Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions

Eastdog
27-03-2013, 01:06 PM
This is for all discussion of our first match of season 2013.

Dogs by 7 points (I always tip my team) :)
BOG: Ryan Griffen
First Goal: Tory Dickson

bulldogsthru&thru
27-03-2013, 02:02 PM
im going to be as optimistic for a nice surprising 2013 :)

Dogs by 9pts
BOG: Griffen
First Goal: Murphy

Greystache
27-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Dogs by 10 points
BOG: Smith
First Goal: Dickson

bornadog
27-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Dogs by 5 points
BOG: Cooney
First Goal: Gia

craigsahibee
27-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Dogs by 27 Points
BOG : Goodes
First Goal : Jones

Maddog37
27-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Lions by 40

BOG D Morris

First goal Dalthefunkyhomosapien.

AndrewP6
27-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Lions by 53
BOG for us - Libba
First goal -Griff

Hotdog60
27-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Dogs by 23 Points
BOG : Murphy
First Goal : Higgins

LostDoggy
28-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Lions by 33
BOG: Griff
Goal: Dicko

Ozza
28-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Lions by 18 pts
Murphy BOG
1st goal for us: Jones

The Underdog
28-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Lions by 37
BOG: Smith

Bulldog Joe
28-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Dogs by 27 points

BOG: Big Will to dominate the hit outs and give Dogs first use (Memories of 2005) with Coons, Griff, Mitch and Libba driving us forward.

First Goal: Cordy

LostDoggy
29-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Pessimistic Midget says:
Lions by 107 (Looking at the selected team I think this one is going to hurt)
BOG: Goodes (he basically is playing for his career every game)
First Goal: Cordy (12 mins into the second Qtr).

Optimistic Midget says:
Lions by 38pts
BOG: Griffin

KT31
29-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Never seem to have a close game against the Lion's, either way the results seem to blow out.
Hoping we will be more competitive than we were against them last year.
Lions by 45
BOG for us - Griff
First goal -Murphy

LostDoggy
29-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Dogs by 1
FG: K. Steven
BOG: N. Lower

Remi Moses
29-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Lions by 30 PTs
First goal Ayce Cordy( first of five):D
BOG Griifen( no Raines fills me with confidence)

G-Mo77
29-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Lions by 27.
First Goal: Tory Dickson
BOG: Libba

NoName
29-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Bulldogs by 10 points
First Goal: L Jones
BOG: Griff

Go_Dogs
29-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Dogs by 27
First goal to Liam Jones
Best on ground Mitch Wallis

Dog54
29-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Lions by 16
First goal Gia
Bog Minson (should dominate ruck)

Flamethrower
29-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Get set for the mother of all NAB Cup premiership hangovers....

Bulldogs by 17 points

Best on ground - Adam Cooney

First goal - Daniel Giansiracusa

jazzadogs
29-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Dogs by 23

First goal: Cooney

BOG: Mitch Wallis to cover for Boyd

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Lions by 31
BOG for us - Griffen
First goal - Dahlhaus

LostDoggy
29-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Dogs by 11
BOG Cooney back to his old best
First Goal Liam Jones

SPower
30-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Brisbane by 42

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Dogs by 18
BOG: Minson
First goal: Cordy

Dazza
30-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Dogs by 1 point
B.O.G : Minson
First goal : Gia

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I have to say I have a few nerves about today's start of the season. I really want us to put up a good showing. I can handle a loss but not a thrashing

How is everyone else viewing today's game?

Hotdog60
30-03-2013, 10:18 AM
I have to say I have a few nerves about today's start of the season. I really want us to put up a good showing. I can handle a loss but not a thrashing

Believe it or not I feel very positive about today and I think we will give a good account for ourselves.
I think we have some talent on the list and it can only get better with more games.
Nervous no, excited yes.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 11:08 AM

I'm probably on the marginally more optimistic side of nervous. I'm hopeful we'll surprise some people but aren't certain.

Maddog37
30-03-2013, 11:17 AM

Feeling the same. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. The two games against the Lions last year were burnt into my memory. We were terrible against them both times.

AndrewP6
30-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Hate to say it but I think we're going to get belted.

Eastdog
30-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Im excited today as also I'm a first year member of the Dogs. Im hoping we can put in a good performance today but like Andrew said I still fear a thrashing. Having Boydy out of the side is a big loss.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Hate to say it but I think we're going to get belted.

Hate to say it? You've said it in every thread.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2013, 12:21 PM

I'm very much the same. I'm quite positive about our chances at the moment, think we might go ok but not convinced. As long as we're competitive to the end and don't get belted, and a few of the new guys show a bit, it'll be a pass mark in my eyes.

Bulldog Joe
30-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I am apprehensively excited.

Expecting a win or at least a really competitive 4 quarters while fearing that blowout that was so prevalent in 2012.

EasternWest
30-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I am apprehensively excited.

Expecting a win or at least a really competitive 4 quarters while fearing that blowout that was so prevalent in 2012.

All bases covered then, BJ :).

F'scary
30-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Dogs by lucky 13.

First goal: Tory

BOG: Wallis with 40+ possessions.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Clay Smith is the sub

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Lions by 45 points
FG for Dogs: Gia
Dogs best player: Cross

Not being pessimistic, I just think where we are right now is going to mean a sustained period of poor results. I just want to see growth and improvement throughout the year.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Great start dogs and Cordy!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2013, 03:01 PM
First 5 goals to the Dogs. Pressure great, and better use of the ball going forward.

cinder
30-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Amazing, 3rd row & loving it!

SquirrelGrip
Is it just me or do we have much better ball movement without our captain in the side? Great start boys!

Mantis
Wow.. That was a pleasant surprise.

Good ball use, great pressure and finished off well... Hope we can keep it up.

Scraggers
30-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Wow.. That was a pleasant surprise.

Good ball use, great pressure and finished off well... Hope we can keep it up.

Agreed ... I'm not getting carried away, but wow; didn't expect that !!

Go_Dogs
30-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Very impressive start.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-03-2013, 03:17 PM
It's exciting and raw to feel hope and promise. A great start to the team and Mcartneyism. Hunting in packs, clamping them down.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Great quarter of footy fierce, competitive, and effective.

Cordy excellent

Stevens very good.

Great forward pressure

Greystache
30-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Griffen resting up forward has been a very good move

Greystache
30-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Goodes' composure with the ball is outstanding

Scraggers
30-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Great pressure !!

Go_Dogs
30-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Very happy with our efforts to half time. Cordy has been great.

Our defensive intent and ability to prevent Brisbane from having time and space to execute has been super.

Hotdog60
30-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Goodes has the goods...:D

Scraggers
30-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Very happy with our efforts to half time. Cordy has been great.

Our defensive intent and ability to prevent Brisbane from having time and space to execute has been super.

Agreed ... He has been fantastic ... A real presence up forward ... Best half I've seen him play so far. Wished he'd taken that last mark with five seconds to go though ;)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Our best half of sustained pressure, tackling and ball use for as long as I can remember. I think the Lions thought we would bomb it inside 50 without any sort of plan. We've been smarter than that, and where tall options are covered we've used smaller targets. Having said that Jones & Cordy have worked hard to make an impact. Cordy in particular has been impressive.
Brett Goodes well done. What an effort in his first half of footy. Stevens and Lower have worked well too. Griffen has been great value in tight, his pressure acts have been massive. And Guido has looked up and about.
Very encouraging signs.

AndrewP6
30-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Hate to say it? You've said it in every thread.

But never once have I said I'm happy about it or that I enjoy it.

That's one of the things I like about this forum, no one makes you feel guilty for expressing your opinion. :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
30-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Great half by the lads. Sustained pressure, smart use of the ball, good body positioning. Now, to do it for a bit longer.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Good on the selection team for persisting with Cordy, a few touches doesn't make a player but he is making a difference. Great pressure around the ground, Dahl and Dickson in particular.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Goodes is all over the backline.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 04:06 PM
But never once have I said I'm happy about it or that I enjoy it.

That's one of the things I like about this forum, no one makes you feel guilty for expressing your opinion. :rolleyes:

Cry me a river :rolleyes:

When you post the same negative things in every thread don't be surprised if someone notices.

Our structure had been outstanding today, great coaching.

Sedat
30-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Don't care how old Goodes is, you can't have enough good ball users and decision makers in your team.

AndrewP6
30-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Cry me a river :rolleyes:

When you post the same negative things in every thread don't be surprised if someone notices.

Right back at ya. When i feel the criticism is warranted, I'll post it, regardless of whether people agree or not. They've been very good today.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Today, an article in the Hun, Bulldogs for the Wooden spoon. the whole ABC commentary team tipped the Lions. And how smug do those of us who picked our boys feel! I think I'm about the only one in our tipping comp. Dominating.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Good on the selection team for persisting with Cordy, a few touches doesn't make a player but he is making a difference. Great pressure around the ground, Dahl and Dickson in particular.

Yeah I smiled when I saw his name in the paper today. Brave move by the mc.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Today, an article in the Hun, Bulldogs for the Wooden spoon. the whole ABC commentary team tipped the Lions. And how smug do those of us who picked our boys feel! I think I'm about the only one in our tipping comp. Dominating.

And a very deserved smug feeling too. I would like to share in that smugness, but alas I chose to doubt, and expected us to be on the receiving end of our trifecta of floggings against the Lions.
I love being wrong, and whilst I still think we will struggle this year,bat least we look like we've got a plan, and guys are improving. We look like we will be a more worthy opponent in 2013.

firstdogonthemoon
30-03-2013, 04:48 PM
I never doubted macca for a second.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Well, that was a great performance, couldn't be happier. Everyone really put in and played their roles.

Scraggers
30-03-2013, 05:19 PM
#GatherThePack

If you haven't got your membership yet, the boys have just asked you nicely to get behind them !!

SquirrelGrip
30-03-2013, 05:22 PM
On top of the ladder!!

Sedat
30-03-2013, 05:26 PM
This is the thing that really shocked me today. Ball use, decision making, structure, ball movement, all the best shown by us since 2010. The big question is how much of this was caused by us and how much were we allowed to dictate terms due to the insipid opposition on the day? I reckon Brisbane played like millionaires today and were not interested in working hard for the 4 points.

Greystache
30-03-2013, 05:29 PM
This is the thing that really shocked me today. Ball use, decision making, structure, ball movement, all the best shown by us since 2010. The big question is how much of this was caused by us and how much were we allowed to dictate terms due to the insipid opposition on the day? I reckon Brisbane played like millionaires today and were not interested in working hard for the 4 points.

You hit the nail on the head earlier with your comment about Goodes. Having an elite user behind the ball can make your skills as a team suddenly look much better. JJ was good in that area too.

boydogs
30-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Wow, very impressive. Our kicking and tackling were absolutely fantastic. Will Minson's marking is streets ahead of where it was a couple of years ago, Cordy & Jones have inherited his cement hands. Great performances by Lower, Young & Goodes, a slap on the back to our recruiters there.

Brisbane were horrible, amazing how 18th v 1st in the NAB cup could play out like that, even from a confidence perspective. Some clangers from Cooney but great to see him amongst it. Morris is a star. Great to see a four quarter effort, steadying after Brisbane kicked the first 3 in the last, we were potent up forward and solid in defense.

Great day for the Dogs :)

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Amazing win by the boys, was awesome to hear the song, everyone put in today.i must say Cordy looked like a player today.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Pessimistic Midget says:

This guy is a spud and shouldn't be allowed to post on here!

Impressed with everyone today (with the exception of one, but now is not the time for negativity especially after the winning drought we've had).
Hope this sort of effort keeps up.

Scraggers
30-03-2013, 05:48 PM

Impressed with everyone today (with the exception of one, but now is not the time for negativity especially after the winning drought we've had).

Hilarious !!

Scorlibo
30-03-2013, 05:53 PM

You flog Midg!

Haven't posted on here in a while, but felt compelled to express how overjoyed I am by today's result! So great to see such an even spread across the board and so many new faces apparently gelling so well.

I buy my membership every year come rain come shine, and I think it's the only way to be if you're to call yourself a true supporter, but for those who need convincing, I can't imagine the boys could have done any more to impress today! A great win for the club, get behind them.

#GatherThePack.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Why shocked? I've been wondering about the pessimism so far in the media and broadly this season. In patches of the NAB we looked sensational. We really put it to the Hawks, despite them missing some good players. It was just a matter of a four quarter effort, and people starting to recognize a few unknowns, like Lower, Goodes and Stevens.
We are seriously underrated by all the 'experts' in the papers / radio. Today proved that.

bornadog
30-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Nice surprise win today and didn't drop off at all. I thought the backline was solid and Goodes was so carm and confident. Big difference with Murphy in the forward line and both Cordy and Jones presented well and did some of the little things that supporters don't see. Tom Young also seems very mature for a player almost 21 years old.

Jones still leads under the ball, he doesn't seem to know how to judge the flight and the only blemishes from Cordy were the two dropped chest marks, otherwise if he can kick two every single week I would be happy with that.

Higgins seems to have gained some pace, and Lower taking over the tagging role is a real bonus.

Overall, very happy and lets all enjoy the win before even thing about next week.:)

LongWait
30-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Nice surprise win today and didn't drop off at all. I thought the backline was solid and Goodes was so carm and confident. Big difference with Murphy in the forward line and both Cordy and Jones presented well and did some of the little things that supporters don't see. Tom Young also seems very mature for a player almost 21 years old.

Jones still leads under the ball, he doesn't seem to know how to judge the flight and the only blemishes from Cordy were the two dropped chest marks, otherwise if he can kick two every single week I would be happy with that.

Higgins seems to have gained some pace, and Lower taking over the tagging role is a real bonus.

Overall, very happy and lets all enjoy the win before even thing about next week.:)

Goodes looks like an inspired selection in fact.....

Sedat
30-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Why shocked? I've been wondering about the pessimism so far in the media and broadly this season. In patches of the NAB we looked sensational. We really put it to the Hawks, despite them missing some good players. It was just a matter of a four quarter effort, and people starting to recognize a few unknowns, like Lower, Goodes and Stevens.
We are seriously underrated by all the 'experts' in the papers / radio. Today proved that.
Had a brutal couple of months at work and have basically missed the entire pre-season campaign so my modest expectations were based on last year's horrendous finish. What I saw today was very encouraging but I think we were given some extra latitude today but an opponent that was not mentally ready for a fight. Next week will be very interesting against probably the best match day coach going around whose teams rarely lack intensity for a contest let alone a match.

bornadog
30-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Goodes looks like an inspired selection in fact.....

Mate if you want to rub it in fine, because I know you are trying to stir me up.

I will stick with what I said all along, I have nothing against Goodes and wrapped he is playing so well, but pre-season, I would have gone for another young player as part of the rebuild. Please don't bring this up every time he plays well.

Sedat
30-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I will stick with what I said all along, I have nothing against Goodes and wrapped he is playing so well, but pre-season, I would have gone for another young player as part of the rebuild. Please don't bring this up every time he plays well.
BAD, for basically the last spot on the list, give me the 29yo who uses it well and picks the right option 9 times out of 10 every day of the week over the 18yo Hail Mary selection.

always right
30-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Just got back from the game.....what an enjoyable day at the footy!:)

Sure the lions were not on their game but I was so impressed with our tackling, our intensity and our organisation. And what about our kicking? Wow!

Minson needed to dominate Longer and he did. Griffey had a huge influence and Murphy led from the front.

Yes it's only one game but today we saw the gameplan that McCartney has been developing....and it was impressive.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Great pressure !!

You mean cracking in don't you? ;)

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 06:29 PM
I never doubted macca for a second.

He can't shave the beard now.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 06:30 PM
BAD, for basically the last spot on the list, give me the 29yo who uses it well and picks the right option 9 times out of 10 every day if the week over the 18yo Hail Mary selection.

Has there ever been a better game by a 29yo on debut? ;)

angelopetraglia
30-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Just got back from the game.

Wow ... just wow! I kept waiting for the fade, kept waiting for them to come at us. We didn't give them an inch all day. What a turn around from when we played them last year at Etihad when they belted us by 10 goals.

Can't wait to see how we go against Freo .... not getting completely carried away, but so many positive things to take out of today's game.

lemmon
30-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Pumped after that one. Consistency across the board was brilliant. Boyd must spewing he missed that one

Hotdog60
30-03-2013, 06:32 PM
We even won the toss:D

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Pessimistic Midget says:

Optimistic Midget says:
Lions by 38pts
BOG: Griffin

This is the great thing about football on a forum because there is always a chance your words will come back and bite ya.

You got Dickson right didn't you?

By the way, I think someone hacked your account earlier today :)

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 06:42 PM
This is the great thing about football on a forum because there is always a chance your words will come back and bite ya.

You got Dickson right didn't you?

By the way, I think someone hacked your account earlier today :)

Incorrect.
The best thing is getting back on the forum quickly and biting yourself before anyone else can. Therefore robbing all of you of the pleasure. So I'm claiming it a win for me.
Midget 1 - Woofers 0.
Now, if anyone needs me I'll (as a Brisbanite) be throwing on my Doggies jumper and taking a nice walk through Queen St Mall.

Sedat
30-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Has there ever been a better game by a 29yo on debut? ;)
How did big Troy Wilson go for West Coke on debut? :D

Remi Moses
30-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Just got back from the game.....what an enjoyable day at the footy!:)

Sure the lions were not on their game but I was so impressed with our tackling, our intensity and our organisation. And what about our kicking? Wow!

Minson needed to dominate Longer and he did. Griffey had a huge influence and Murphy led from the front.

Yes it's only one game but today we saw the gameplan that McCartney has been developing....and it was impressive.

Couldn't agree more . People poke fun at McCartney and his cracking in Mantra, but just watch a final and a GF and you see what he is on about.
What I got out of today was good ball movement and a semblance of a plan.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 06:48 PM
How did big Troy Wilson go for West Coke on debut? :D

He wouldn't have used the ball as well though

Remi Moses
30-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Terrific ball user which we needed badly.
Staggering that he never got drafted earlier, but I guess that perception of a VFL player not being good enough existed.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Did anyone see Laurie Sandilands drop kick goal in the shoot out?

Sedat
30-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm going to ask the elephant in the room question. Will Boyd's return be a help or hindrance to the playing style and team structure from today? Our ball use was slick and skilful today - will it be as effective with Boydy getting it 40 times?

SonofScray
30-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Really pleased with the result and the manner in which we played the game. With every tackle in that 1st quarter you could hear the crowd shift in its demeanour, we saw a team playing to the Club's identity. It was tenacious stuff and it made my heart swell.

Consistent effort across the game from a significant spread of players, footy is much more enjoyable when you kick goals and we got that in spades. One from JJ stood out for me, he's kicked a few so far in the preseason and is bringing that element of the game back into our team.

Minson was immense. He dominated the ruck all day, ran himself ragged and still managed to get involved late in the piece while clearly spent. No silly free kicks, strong hands, great use of the handball and long kicks down the boundary and really robust, physical attention to the Lions players. Loved it.

The Lions obviously weren't expecting that, they might have taken us easy and it was great to put them to the sword for it. In very convincing fashion.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm going to ask the elephant in the room question. Will Boyd's return be a help or hindrance to the playing style and team structure from today? Our ball use was slick and skilful today - will it be as effective with Boydy getting it 40 times?

Great question. I wasn't game to ask it. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Thought the work by our defensive unit was great today. Roughead was superb on Brown. Morris looks to be as good as ever. Young did his job too. And with Goodes, JJ and Cooney down back we seemed to use the ball better.

More than the win though, the thing I liked most was the improvement, both in players and in system and decision making. As much as the mantra has been about cracking in, and that certainly was evident today, there really seemed to be a progression in terms of how we set up defensively and how we move the ball.

Well done Macca & players. Irrespective of how many games we win this year, if we play a similar brand of footy for 22 rounds this year we will improve as a team and be better positioned for the years to come.

Bulldog4life
30-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Just got home from the game. What a great game from all the boys. All the recruits played well so a big tick for the Club for going after those players. Really pleased for Macca too. He showed his critics that he is a good coach. Last year he concentrated on contested possessions. We have gone up another level this year with the improved ball movement. Plus the tackling and harassing was magnificent to watch. Can't wait for the replay.

Bulldog4life
30-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Yes and poor kelvin didn't make the distance with his second kick.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Had a brutal couple of months at work and have basically missed the entire pre-season campaign so my modest expectations were based on last year's horrendous finish. What I saw today was very encouraging but I think we were given some extra latitude today but an opponent that was not mentally ready for a fight. Next week will be very interesting against probably the best match day coach going around whose teams rarely lack intensity for a contest let alone a match.

Maybe it's a case of the NAB sucking them dry. Much as it did with us a few years ago with a certain team featuring Barry Hall. Still, what was pleasing was to see a functioning and dangerous forward line with multiple scoring options, and young blokes not giving seasoned pros respect. Roughead got a big tick against Brown, who's just a massive unit.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 07:16 PM

Bang on Sedat, had to be asked.
I was thinking of this most of the game.
One of the biggest upsides to today's game was the educated kicks by almost everyone. Nobody rushed and looked to think before kicking. It is not news that this is Boyd's worst area, and as you say could really have an effect on the game when he has the ability to get the ball as much as he can.

How weird is it to say "getting the leagues leading possession taker back into the side could have a negative affect on a team".

F'scary
30-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Cordy: I never doubted him.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Great question. I wasn't game to ask it. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

I actually thought Matt has improved a bit in that area. But it's for questions like this we missed you on the forums recently Sedat....a curly one.

Raw Toast
30-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Good question, but I'm not overly concerned at the moment. For mine, Boyd's problem has been trying to do too much. If you look at a player with a fairly similar skill-set in Dane Swan (apart from initial acceleration), you'll see that Swan started excelling when he didn't try and do too much.I think that the better our midfield, the less pressure on Boyd, and that he'll play to his strengths more.

One of the notable things today is how well we shared the ball in all three areas of the ground (perhaps a little too unselfish up forward at times), and I think Boyd will fit very nicely into that).

jeemak
30-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Boyd needs to show leadership in this area and be disciplined enough to use the team mates he has around him.

If he can do that, he'll certainly add to the team.

We need to remember our midfield isn't going to have it as easy as it had it today against many other sides. I think we should be realistic about our improved ball movement, and understand it's a work in progress.

GVGjr
30-03-2013, 07:20 PM

I've had the same run at work and brutal describes it perfectly.

I think we had a good run with the ball nearly all day which helped with our the goal scoring power but we have to give credit to the midfield today who kept at the task.

Brisbane missed some very gettable goals that might have put some doubts in our mind but we were a mile better than them today. Did all the travel through the NAB cup slow them down or did we just recruit well with the likes of Lower, Stevens, Young and Goodes?

The Pie Man
30-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Yikes...I unintentionally riled a few Dogs fans at the the NAB Cup for a critique on his ball use....though I've always maintained that he has great penetration by foot.

Will he better serve us across half forward? Decent overhead, and a long kick.

Nice to know we can win the pill without him

Greystache
30-03-2013, 07:38 PM

We spoke about it at the game but I wasn't going to broach it on here. My answer is I'm looking forward to our efficient ball use the next 1-2 weeks :D

G-Mo77
30-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Just got back.

Good lord! :eek:

I am still in shock, that was outstanding!!

boydogs
30-03-2013, 07:39 PM

It might, it's not his kicking that's the problem it's that he goes for too much and doesn't know his limitations. Other players in his position may give it off or go for the safer option.

There will be plenty of time to tell.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 08:00 PM
The best player in the side and the Captain misses a game which we win and now some of you want to question his place in the side.
You must be on drugs.

Scraggers
30-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Best email I got today ... When We Win, You Win !! It's been a while since we got one of these.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-03-2013, 08:07 PM

I think we had a good run with the ball nearly all day which helped with our the goal scoring power but we have to give credit to the midfield today who kept at the task.

Brisbane missed some very gettable goals that might have put some doubts in our mind but we were a mile better than them today. Did all the travel through the NAB cup slow them down or did we just recruit well with the likes of Lower, Stevens, Young and Goodes?

A feature of the 4 debuts was their ability to dispose of the ball correctly. Our disposal last year was woeful and clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong led the way with such a strong emphasis on correct disposal. Minson was excellent in the ruck and Liberatore showed that he has the ability to become an elite midfielder. Cordy was good today in the way he was prepared to put himself in the contest. Great to see Morris and Cooney back. Finally a word of praise for BMcC who has had plenty of critics but will ultimately prove to be a good choice as coach.

Remi Moses
30-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Best email I got today ... When We Win, You Win !! It's been a while since we got one of these.

I got a text thanking me for attending .
After last years debacle it was my pleasure:)
Appreciate the message

SonofScray
30-03-2013, 08:28 PM
We spoke about it at the game but I wasn't going to broach it on here. My answer is I'm looking forward to our efficient ball use the next 1-2 weeks :D

Similar conversations up in the heavens. One of the funnier, albeit hash comments was that Brisbane were "a man down in Boyd's absence" which while I chuckled is an extremely unfair view.

However, I struggled to imagine Boyd participating in today's game and things rolling along the way they did. There was a lot of care taken with the footy and participation was right up across the whole squad, I'd take that over one player racking up 45 touches and constantly driving the ball forward under pressure. Not sure if that is a knock on Boyd wholly of itself or a reflection of his team mates, either way I think the balance was right in this contest. The mix was right.

It doesn't really matter for me, such as todays result was so heartening but it might be worth considering: Do we belt Brisbane by even more if he is in the team? At which players' expense?

My answers: probably not & Smith.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 08:33 PM
What were people's thoughts on Voss' coaching today? He didn't seem to make the changes early to combat the bleeding. Then everytime the cameras were on him he seemed to have a sarcastic smile on his face.
Not saying he was the only one to blame for their performance, but a Lions supporter couldn't be happy with him today either.

Mantis
30-03-2013, 08:37 PM
The best player in the side and the Captain misses a game which we win and now some of you want to question his place in the side.
You must be on drugs.

Boyd?

Griffen is our best player.

jeemak
30-03-2013, 08:55 PM
What were people's thoughts on Voss' coaching today? He didn't seem to make the changes early to combat the bleeding. Then everytime the cameras were on him he seemed to have a sarcastic smile on his face.
Not saying he was the only one to blame for their performance, but a Lions supporter couldn't be happy with him today either.

I think he had the look of a man who shows how pissed off he is a certain way, differently from others.

It wouldn't surprise me if his instructions weren't being followed by a team of players not switched on. I'd carry myself in a similar fashion if that was happening to me, though others would scowl or keep a straight face.

Personally, I wouldn't read a lot into it.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I think he had the look of a man who shows how pissed off he is a certain way, differently from others.

It wouldn't surprise me if his instructions weren't being followed by a team of players not switched on. I'd carry myself in a similar fashion if that was happening to me, though others would scowl or keep a straight face.

Personally, I wouldn't read a lot into it.

You're probably right. Just saying I didn't see him coach the whole game. Wasn't talking, wasn't on the phone, wasn't pointing and waving like most coaches do. Etc. etc. Just leaning back smiling or shaking his head.
If you get to 50pts down in the 3rd qtr try Merritt in the Forward line or something?

Eastdog
30-03-2013, 09:13 PM
What a great day at the footy. Really enjoyed that. This performance has been one of our best in a while. Lets keep it up next week against Freo. One downside for me is I forgot to bring my glasses but ill make sure ill have them next week.

w3design
30-03-2013, 09:53 PM

I remember being laughed at for suggesting that Goodes would be a good pick tough has skills and time . What do you say now GVGjr .

Bulldog Revolution
30-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Some interesting comments. Like the game against Richmond we were first to the ball for most of the game, were clearly on top in the centre square and created any luck we might have had.

I see scope for lots of further improvement.

The backline was basically a whole new group on what we fielded in 2012, with Roughie, Johannisen and Picken playing their a little, but Goodes, Morris, and Young obviously never played back for us in 2012.

Lower and Stevens looked good additions midfield, for the hard edge they offer the group. The forward line looked lively and dynamic. Dickson and Dalhaus buzzed about. Higgins, Gia and Murphy showed their class. Cordy and Jones mostly presented well without setting the world on fire I was pleased with both of their workrates.

Dog54
30-03-2013, 10:47 PM
No doubt Boyd is a very good player although I think he needs to work on being more patient with the footy. He seems to always hurry it on the boot forwards. Today we were more patient on the footy and he has to buy in to this. He is a great leader and I'm sure he will work on that part of his game. Biggest thing to come out of the preseason is the midfield depth we now have. We will beat many teams if they don't come to play.

LostDoggy
30-03-2013, 11:31 PM
The all Australian selectors and those who vote on the B&F don't think so

jeemak
31-03-2013, 12:00 AM
The all Australian selectors and those who vote on the B&F don't think so

Case closed then!

Ryan Griffen's our best player. Over the last two or so years he's been the only Bulldogs player worth tagging on a consistent basis, and his output has been strong. If he was given the lattitude Boyd gets he'd get 35 penetrating touches a game.

I know it seems I'm taking away credit for Boyd's strong performances, but I'm not.

Dry Rot
31-03-2013, 12:36 AM
Out this afternoon and missed the game. Don't have Foxtel so copped the dull "Battle of the Bridge" here in Sydney and then Saints' embarrassment up north.

Fabulous result.

Saw some limited highlights. Hanley is a grub. Hope he gets weeks.

How did our our experienced recruits go?

What did we differently to win from last year?

jeemak
31-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Out this afternoon and missed the game. Don't have Foxtel so copped the dull "Battle of the Bridge" here in Sydney and then Saints' embarrassment up north.

Fabulous result.

Saw some limited highlights. Hanley is a grub. Hope he gets weeks.

How did our our experienced recruits go?

What did we differently to win from last year?

All of Goodes (dominated half back), Lower (shut down Rich), Stevens and Young (each played a solid role in their positions well) contributed today.

We seemed to be more organised with how we moved the ball, and we used it much better by foot than we have in the past.

Our handballing skills, which are actually a strength of our list seem to have consolidated as well. We also pressured Brisbane very well and were ruthless when Brisbane had possession save for a few pieces of play.

Senior players in Higgins, Morris, Murphy, Griffen, Cross, Minson and Giansiracusa all played their roles with intent and class.

Younger players like Roughead, Liberatore, Dahlhaus and Wallis showed why our core is going to be strong going forward.

KT31
31-03-2013, 12:48 AM
Mate if you want to rub it in fine, because I know you are trying to stir me up.

Would have been more inspired if we had of picked him up five years ago.
I'm on record with you BAD, but great win today and whatever is said won't upset me.

stefoid
31-03-2013, 12:55 AM

Across the board our disposal efficiency was good. Some of that was natural improvement of our younger guys with the ball in hand and I thought we ran very hard to spread and generate disposal options which also helps.

The rest was Brisbane letting us do as we please and we wont get too many more opponents who like that.

I am really liking Stevens, he might be a dark horse for a high finish in the B&F. He is running very hard and uses the ball well. Fantastic pickup.

Libbas best game for the club?

Go_Dogs
31-03-2013, 01:05 AM

I tend to agree we had an opponent that wasn't ready for us tonight, but as you say, credit where credit is due. We were fierce today, focused on our roles and our defensive work rate was A grade. Our new guys were all great and I'm confident they can deliver for 22 weeks.

It's still going to be a long season, no doubt in my mind, but the positives were there to be seen and I have a lot of faith our best, when we can deliver consistently, will be good enough.

Dry Rot
31-03-2013, 01:08 AM
All of Goodes (dominated half back), Lower (shut down Rich), Stevens and Young (each played a solid role in their positions well) contributed today.

We seemed to be more organised with how we moved the ball, and we used it much better by foot than we have in the past.

Our handballing skills, which are actually a strength of our list seem to have consolidated as well. We also pressured Brisbane very well and were ruthless when Brisbane had possession save for a few pieces of play.

Senior players in Higgins, Morris, Murphy, Griffen, Cross, Minson and Giansiracusa all played their roles with intent and class.

Younger players like Roughead, Liberatore, Dahlhaus and Wallis showed why our core is going to be strong going forward.

Thanks.

I only heard the tail end of the ABC radio online - they were banging on about our pressure on the opposition generally, and in particular, in our forward 50.

jeemak
31-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Thanks.

I only heard the tail end of the ABC radio online - they were banging on about our pressure on the opposition generally, and in particular, in our forward 50.

The latter point was really lead by Dickson. His first two games for the club were pretty ordinary from that point, since then, he's been magnificent at pressuring the opposition.

jazzadogs
31-03-2013, 01:22 AM
The latter point was really lead by Dickson. His first two games for the club were pretty ordinary from that point, since then, he's been magnificent at pressuring the opposition.
Agree, Dickson's pressure was excellent. Tackles just seemed to stick today...Griff and Clay had one each at high-speed in the last quarter that you just wouldn't expect to stick! Next to a goal or a good contested mark, I reckon a strong tackle is the best thing to see in our game. Similar to when Lenny Hayes ragdolled Easton Wood last year, lifts the guys around you.

Re: the new guys, very impressive. Was good to see Lower stand up for Gia, in his first game for the club. Flying the flag is something that our guys haven't necessarily excelled at in recent times, and he toed the line between aggressive and silly well.

Great to see Cooney with some zip back as well.

Really, it was just a great day at the footy and hard to pick any negatives (other than some isolated incidents) out of it.

Gather the f'ing pack.

Maddog37
31-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Boyd?

Griffen is our best player.

Or is Minson?

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 01:47 AM
A feature of the 4 debuts was their ability to dispose of the ball correctly. Our disposal last year was woeful and clubs like Hawthorn and Geelong led the way with such a strong emphasis on correct disposal. Minson was excellent in the ruck and Liberatore showed that he has the ability to become an elite midfielder. Cordy was good today in the way he was prepared to put himself in the contest. Great to see Morris and Cooney back. Finally a word of praise for BMcC who has had plenty of critics but will ultimately prove to be a good choice as coach.

The four recruits were outstanding and not only were their skills effective their decision making as terrific. Young probably struggled to run out the game but he put in a very solid effort.
Goodes barely put a foot wrong and his skills were first rate. Lower owned the dangerous Rich and Stevens provided a lot of run.

The efforts by Morris and Cooney just topped us off. Cooney in particular moved so well. The return of Liberatore though was terrific.

Did anyone notice Roughead struggling a bit with his fitness?

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Thanks.

Mark Maclure, who has never been a big fan of us, sang our praises for the pressure we applied throughout the game.

jeemak
31-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Or is Minson?

No. Minson is a good ruckman, that has really come into his own since being handed the responsibility he deserved when Rockett was in his final year as coach.

Super happy with the way he played today, though I think he'll go under the radar in the football public this year, and the Cornes and Pearce families will still hate him.

jeemak
31-03-2013, 02:03 AM
The four recruits were outstanding and not only were their skills effective their decision making as terrific. Young probably struggled to run out the game but he put in a very solid effort.
Goodes barely put a foot wrong and his skills were first rate. Lower owned the dangerous Rich and Stevens provided a lot of run.

The efforts by Morris and Cooney just topped us off. Cooney in particular moved so well. The return of Liberatore though was terrific.

Did anyone notice Roughead struggling a bit with his fitness?

I think we're going to see Roughead puffing when he plays against the experienced players like Brown and Riewoldt who have many preseasons under their belts, and are very adept at keeping defenders moving and on their toes.

The good forwards don't get their space when the ball eventually comes their way, they get it a few subtle steps before that time meaning their opponents have to put in a lot of effort to keep with them once it looks like the ball is coming into their area of influence. The end result is one knackered defender.

That's why Morris is so valuable. He's strong, smart and his acceleration is done with minimal physical cost on his body because he's naturally able to burst when required.

FrediKanoute
31-03-2013, 02:30 AM
I remember being laughed at for suggesting that Goodes would be a good pick tough has skills and time . What do you say now GVGjr .

In GVGjr's defence, one game doesn't make a season, nor a career. I hope for ours and Goodsey's sake he keeps it up. At this stage though still too early.

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Lions by 53
BOG for us - Libba
First goal -Griff

Shit you are such a pessimist! by the way i think i saw you today, were you on level 2? Was going to introduce myself and say hi but wasn't 100% sure it was you.
Plus I am legally blind (not joking) so could have easily made the totally wrong call. Just thought you looked a bit familiar from the few photos you have uploaded on woof in the past.

Dont you think B mac is on the right track though? For me it was really the kids that got us across the line today..and as the season goes on they will tire, and we will fall away. I still think we are 3/4 years away from having a real crack again. But you gotta admire the selflessness in his approach, if we have two more shit years he could easily get the sack, but he seems unconcerned with that and is taking his time to build a team that , when their chance comes again, might actually be able to go all the way this time. just my two cents worth.

ok, cheers Andrew.

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 02:34 AM

Was that me who scoffed at the suggestion? He's made every post a winner during the pre-season and I think the recruiters and the club should be given a slap on the back for picking him.

I saw him a number of times at the VFL but he didn't have the right sort of build to make a go at it. No such problems now though.

dog town
31-03-2013, 10:19 AM
The most impressive part of our performance was the work around the contest. We won the ball in contested situations and used handball to get into a position where we could actually use the ball well. We have 6 or 7 guys who are really good by hand in close and it is starting to show. We seemed to be using a really consistent method around the contest. Guys come in to support at the back of the contest then we fire out first option handballs. Its the sort of thing that will hold up under pressure in big games. Hopefully we can maintain it.

Bigger tests await. I thought Brisbane were awful to be honest. It certainly helps us dominating the centre clearances. It allowed us to dictate the game. I don't think we will get that every week.

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Bigger tests await. I thought Brisbane were awful to be honest. It certainly helps us dominating the centre clearances. It allowed us to dictate the game. I don't think we will get that every week.

Excellent points and yes sterner tests await us.

Hotdog60
31-03-2013, 10:30 AM
One thing that caught my eye was Cooney at one stage of the game got a brilliant Shepard to give him time and space to use the ball. Not sure of the player but it may have been Stevens or of that build.

If we can do this for our ball users it will improve our disposal efficiency.

SonofScray
31-03-2013, 10:45 AM
One thing that caught my eye was Cooney at one stage of the game got a brilliant Shepard to give him time and space to use the ball. Not sure of the player but it may have been Stevens or of that build.

If we can do this for our ball users it will improve our disposal efficiency.

Almost certain it was Lower, who made a few physical plays like this in support of his more highly fancied team mates. They were considered, deliberate efforts which was really striking. That aspect of our game has been lacking in recent years, after an initial nasty spurt under Rocket at least.

Great team play, sacrificing your opportunity to get the footy in favour of a more skilled player getting time to execute. Percentage play.

Dancin' Douggy
31-03-2013, 10:52 AM

This is a very good question. It's one thing to ASK the 'elephant in the room' question.

It's a totally different thing answering it.

I'm scared to answer it, lets just say that.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-03-2013, 11:03 AM

I'd like to see that! A drop kick goal on the run is a thing of magnificence that's gone from the game. It could even make the ungainly but honest Sandilands look good. Great to know he's a survivor.

BornInDroopSt'54
31-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Cordy: I never doubted him.

Does that mean you are forming The Cordy True Believers Faction?

G-Mo77
31-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Anyone else get a text from the Western Bulldogs during the game saying thanks for coming and supporting today etc.

Not sure if everyone got it or those that showed up. Thought it was pretty cool anyway.

SlimPickens
31-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Anyone else get a text from the Western Bulldogs during the game saying thanks for coming and supporting today etc.

Not sure if everyone got it or those that showed up. Thought it was pretty cool anyway.

Yep I got it, nice touch. A friend of mine who is a tiges supporter got something similar but from "Cotchy" on Thursday night.

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 11:42 AM

Yep, got one as well. Good move by the club

LongWait
31-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Almost certain it was Lower, who made a few physical plays like this in support of his more highly fancied team mates. They were considered, deliberate efforts which was really striking. That aspect of our game has been lacking in recent years, after an initial nasty spurt under Rocket at least.

Great team play, sacrificing your opportunity to get the footy in favour of a more skilled player getting time to execute. Percentage play.

I agree with these observations - Lower really is a team player who blocks, bumps and gets in the face of opponents and who is quick to fly the flag. You can't have too many of these types in the team.

I think the team as a whole has been better off the ball this year so far. Players are being protected and there appears to be a strong team ethos.

How good has our recruiting been? These more mature players have performed very valuable roles so far. Hope it continues and allows us to ease in the young recruits and rest the younger players when they need it.

always right
31-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Just one of the little things the club has introduced in recent times. Seems to have been a real determination to do absolutely everything right in terms of marketing. Hope they are rewarded wth a spike in membership after yesterday's win.

Prince Imperial
31-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I was very impressed with the match day marketing yesterday. It was great to see the old gun forwards out there kicking for goal and the Footscray End was very well decked out with banners, stuff for the kids and Wood and Williams signing autographs. Pre game the advertising signage referred to the Hawkins wing and Johnson and Grant pockets. Of course winning makes the most difference to getting the fans in but certainly the club is making it more attractive.

GVGjr
31-03-2013, 12:07 PM
How good has our recruiting been? These more mature players have performed very valuable roles so far. Hope it continues and allows us to ease in the young recruits and rest the younger players when they need it.

I think it helps having a list manager setting the direction allowing the recruiting team to identify the talent. The recruits on display yesterday were pretty much all targeted to fill needs within the list.

Goodes kicking skills frees up Murphy to play forward.
Stevens provides some run and carry around the midfield.
Young gives us the mobile tall option.
Lower allows us to use Picken in other roles.

None of them cost us much at all.

It worked well yesterday and the recruiting team should be well pleased.
Lets hope there are a number of other similar performances.

AndrewP6
31-03-2013, 12:17 PM

I showed up and didn't get it:( must've been for special members ;)

strebla
31-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I think we're going to see Roughead puffing when he plays against the experienced players like Brown and Riewoldt who have many preseasons under their belts, and are very adept at keeping defenders moving and on their toes.

The good forwards don't get their space when the ball eventually comes their way, they get it a few subtle steps before that time meaning their opponents have to put in a lot of effort to keep with them once it looks like the ball is coming into their area of influence. The end result is one knackered defender.

That's why Morris is so valuable. He's strong, smart and his acceleration is done with minimal physical cost on his body because he's naturally able to burst when required.

Roughed was excellent yesterday he owned Brown. Young and Dale really helped him out was so impressed by Young and Goodes leaving their direct opponents to help out our teamwork yesterday was the best I have seen since the eighties.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Was that me who scoffed at the suggestion? He's made every post a winner during the pre-season and I think the recruiters and the club should be given a slap on the back for picking him.

I saw him a number of times at the VFL but he didn't have the right sort of build to make a go at it. No such problems now though.

Goodes admitted himself in the presser, he was pretty lazy until the age of 23.

Eastdog
31-03-2013, 12:26 PM

How many more years can you see him playing as he now is 29.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2013, 12:29 PM
We shrugged a lot of tackles, which was pleasing.

G-Mo77
31-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Do you get the club announcement texts. For example I got one before the game that said Tom Williams and Easton Wood will be in the Social Club. I also get them when they're going to take money out of my account.

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Just taking it all in watching the Sunday Footy Show.

As much as I dont like Lloyd he pointed out our forward structure which was a lot different, less bombing long in hope, more picking out (and hitting) targets.

Hard not to get excited with our intensity, kicking and play making yesterday. How many set shots did we miss? Don't think there was many.

Freo next week will be tough, was so happy to start off in that fashion and not drop off completely ala last year.

strebla
31-03-2013, 12:43 PM

I got on but they thanked my Collingwood supporting girlfriend who wasn't there. It was a nice touch all the same.

Eastdog
31-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Do you get the club announcement texts. For example I got one before the game that said Tom Williams and Easton Wood will be in the Social Club. I also get them when they're going to take money out of my account.

I'm a silver reserved seat member but didn't get any text. Maybe social club members get it.

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm a silver reserved seat member but didn't get any text. Maybe social club members get it.

Im silver reserved seat member and got it. Maybe they dont have your mobile number......or the machine cant handle sending 25,000 sms's :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
31-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Yep, I did get the one about the social club.

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 01:10 PM
Super impressed with the back six. We all know how good Morris is but the other boys are all new to there roles and worked together like there been there ten years. This bodes good for the rest of the year. Especially once they work out the quirks of each others games.

boydogs
31-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Just one of the little things the club has introduced in recent times. Seems to have been a real determination to do absolutely everything right in terms of marketing. Hope they are rewarded wth a spike in membership after yesterday's win.

I've been struck by the involvement of the players, who each gave away 2 tickets to the game on twitter. The marketing lingo has hit the right note and even been adopted by our supporters, lot of #gatherthepack in posts here.

G-Mo77
31-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Yep, I did get the one about the social club.

It must be for just the special members then. ;)

ledge
31-03-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm just a home member I got one, great club initiative

AndrewP6
31-03-2013, 02:01 PM
It must be for just the special members then. ;)

I nearly bumped into Tom Williams, that makes me a bit special ;) I nearly had a heart attack, the last thing he needs is another injury!

Mantis
31-03-2013, 05:21 PM

If he has been 'switched on' for the last 6 years why did he lose 6-8kgs over the last pre-season?

LostDoggy
31-03-2013, 05:26 PM
I nearly bumped into Tom Williams, that makes me a bit special ;) I nearly had a heart attack, the last thing he needs is another injury!

Haha! That made me laugh AndrewP6! You didn't get him, did you?

BornInDroopSt'54
31-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Not another Brad Johnson versus Bulldog on wheels fiasco!

AndrewP6
31-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Haha! That made me laugh AndrewP6! You didn't get him, did you?

Not another Brad Johnson versus Bulldog on wheels fiasco!

Nah, narrowly avoided contact! :) Made sure to give him a wide berth afterwards though. Just to be safe - and any future injuries are not my fault!

w3design
31-03-2013, 07:14 PM
That was so much fun to watch. You really could see where B Mac has us headed. And yes, the pressure we applied was great.
It will make a huge difference for us if Lower can blanket out the oppositions best play maker as he did with Rich. That will mean Picken can be used in a variety of roles, both defensive and creative.

As great a start as it was, next week will be an entirely different ball game. I felt we just caught Brisbane by surprise with our ferocity at player and ball. Ross Lyon is too astute a coach to be caught on the the hop, and will have his players fully expecting our improvement. So everything will be so much tougher next week. But if our team can take a bit of self belief from this performance, hopefully they can lift another notch too.

Now re the discussion on Boydy. Why is everybody so quick to assume that while the rest of the team seems to have improved over the off season our captain will not have also?
Before his age is brought up, Goodes's game improved markedly from his VFL level work. He always had the skills, but the level of training , development and pressure at the lower level is simply not comparable to that at AFL. For starters his body shape and tank are hugely improved from his time at Willy and Ballarat, and he is only marginally younger than Boyd.
So why, if all and sundry around Boyd are coming up a level, why is it a given he will not have improved as well ?
His best mate [ Crossy] has learnt in the last two years how to play within his limitations, and has dramatically improved his foot skills, so why not the captain also?

azabob
31-03-2013, 07:25 PM
If he has been 'switched on' for the last 6 years why did he lose 6-8kgs over the last pre-season?

When he was giving it his best crack in 2007-09 I wonder what his weight was like then? I would think he would be fitter then, than end of 2012. It appears in 2010 he made a decision to focus on his career off field rather than on field hence weight would've crept on.

Easier to get fit and lose weight when you don't have a day job.

Bulldog4life
31-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Now re the discussion on Boydy. Why is everybody so quick to assume that while the rest of the team seems to have improved over the off season our captain will not have also?

Not everybody Paul.

Greystache
31-03-2013, 07:50 PM

It was only NAB cup but his disposal actually looked worse than previous years during the preseason.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2013, 08:11 PM

If he stopped being lazy at age 23 he would still have needed a a few years to get into half decent shape ( but not AFL condition ) another few years to prove himself, then finally, the coach has taken a leap of faith and he's got himself into top gear. And now, 29. As you say Mantis, 8 kg is a lot of weight for a professional athlete.

w3design
31-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Good for you B4l. Keep the faith.

G'stache. He was hardly Robinson Crusoe being rusty in disposal during the NOB Cup and pre season.

I seriously doubt he would have been reappointed skipper if his team mates or coaches felt he was going to be a drag or handicap to the team's chances of improving over 2013.
Trust in our brains trust. Clearly they see Boyd as an asset.

Aside from anything else, if he has possession 30-40 times a match, that is a lot of time the opposition does not get the ball. And if at worst his disposal efficiency is only 50-55%, that is still 15-20+ times per match that it successfully goes to a team mate, and that number of positive disposals would be regarded as pretty good for a lesser player [ IE if a new player came in and passed to a team mate that many times in a match we would be hailing him as a young gun].

boydogs
01-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Aside from anything else, if he has possession 30-40 times a match, that is a lot of time the opposition does not get the ball. And if at worst his disposal efficiency is only 50-55%, that is still 15-20+ times per match that it successfully goes to a team mate, and that number of positive disposals would be regarded as pretty good for a lesser player [ IE if a new player came in and passed to a team mate that many times in a match we would be hailing him as a young gun].

That's not really the equation though, the turnovers can be very costly.

We also know Boyd's game is focused on attack and often he goes head to head with his opponent rather than trying to stop them winning the ball. With Lower, Stevens & Cooney impressing and Clay Smith being forced into being the sub before Boyd even comes into the side, questions will be asked.

jeemak
01-04-2013, 08:45 AM

I'd say the major factor is diet control.

Once you're training for a spot on an AFL list you pretty much tick all boxes (if you want to succeed), and diet is the big one.

Even if you're a pisshead you can still lose a lot of weight with a lean diet. I don't think Brett was or is a pisshead, so it would be easy enough for him with a bit of commitment.

bornadog
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Not everybody Paul.

+1

Supporters tend to focus on the few errors rather than the whole game, pretty poor really.

Rocco Jones
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Cordy and Jones really highlighted the difference between playing in a good or bad team/structure on Saturday.

Neither had stand out games but it was so much easier for them than last year, especially Cordy. Jones had a stinker IMO but still ended up with 3 shots on goal.

Rocco Jones
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
+1

Supporters tend to focus on the few errors rather than the whole game, pretty poor really.

Yeah with you there too mate. Sometimes it's just time to be positive. Not winning for what 280 days? Then beating a side by 68 points in Round 1, that sounds about the time to me.

strebla
01-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Cordy and Jones really highlighted the difference between playing in a good or bad team/structure on Saturday.

Neither had stand out games but it was so much easier for them than last year, especially Cordy. Jones had a stinker IMO but still ended up with 3 shots on goal.

I thought Jones was outstanding his pressure on the ball handler and protecting the little blokes was top notch think you are a bit unfair here Rocco.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
That's not really the equation though, the turnovers can be very costly.

We also know Boyd's game is focused on attack and often he goes head to head with his opponent rather than trying to stop them winning the ball. With Lower, Stevens & Cooney impressing and Clay Smith being forced into being the sub before Boyd even comes into the side, questions will be asked.

Wood is the other one. He's good at the blind bomb. Did we miss him??
Grant, Tutt, wonder what the coach thinks of these guys?

Remi Moses
01-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I thought Jones was outstanding his pressure on the ball handler and protecting the little blokes was top notch think you are a bit unfair here Rocco.

Agree, not many stats but there was a concerted effort to keep Merrett out of the play.
He reads the game like Lake does and is great in the air.

Bulldog Joe
01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm in the camp that believe Jones was a good contributor. Competed well knocked the ball out and was involved.

jeemak
01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Wood is the other one. He's good at the blind bomb. Did we miss him??
Grant, Tutt, wonder what the coach thinks of these guys?

Tutt was named emergency.

Grant's seemingly in a bit of strife, and will want to put in some early form at Williamstown.

LostDoggy
01-04-2013, 04:32 PM
He reads the game like Lake does and is great in the air.

?
He constantly runs under the ball and Did he even take one mark in the air against the Lions?
I know we are hating Lake at the moment but Jones is a fair way off Lake as far as reading the ball in concerned.
I'm not one of the guys that have given up on Jones, but I am getting close. I hope he can turn it on and have a breakout year this year.

jeemak
01-04-2013, 04:34 PM
?
He constantly runs under the ball and Did he even take one mark in the air against the Lions?
I know we are hating Lake at the moment but Jones is a fair way off Lake as far as reading the ball in concerned.
I'm not one of the guys that have given up on Jones, but I am getting close. I hope he can turn it on and have a breakout year this year.

I think Rem was talking about Merrett.

LostDoggy
01-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Does the club have your mobile number everyone I know received the text at first it was the kids bt then we all got it, little thing but great idea.

Happy Days
01-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Just got back from being away for the weekend so I only just saw the game, very nice surprise win.

I feel not nearly enough praise has been heaped on Lower, held Rich incredibly well (who was the dominant player of the pre-season), and allowed Picken to give a bit more attack. Shrewd piece of recruiting to pick him up and identify his ability in this role, always saw him as a half back accumulator rather than a stopper.

LostDoggy
01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I think Rem was talking about Merrett.

I retract my post then. Sorry Rem.

G-Mo77
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Just got back from being away for the weekend so I only just saw the game, very nice surprise win.

I feel not nearly enough praise has been heaped on Lower, held Rich incredibly well (who was the dominant player of the pre-season), and allowed Picken to give a bit more attack. Shrewd piece of recruiting to pick him up and identify his ability in this role, always saw him as a half back accumulator rather than a stopper.

I squeezed him I to my votes.

LostDoggy
01-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Also got the thank you for attending SMS. Thought it was a lovely touch and novel idea.
Was elated the way the boys played on Saturday. Hope we manage some more footy like that this year.

AndrewP6
01-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Does the club have your mobile number everyone I know received the text at first it was the kids bt then we all got it, little thing but great idea.

Yep, updated details over summer.

Greystache
01-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Yep, updated details over summer.

I didn't get one either but my mate sitting next to me did, not that I'm fussed. I said in another thread that I don't have massive faith in the accuracy of the membership database.

Maddog37
01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
My son got one( on my phone) but the rest of us didn't and we are on a family ticket. I don't really care either way though.

AndrewP6
01-04-2013, 07:41 PM
I didn't get one either but my mate sitting next to me did, not that I'm fussed. I said in another thread that I don't have massive faith in the accuracy of the membership database.

I'm not that bothered really. It still is a good initiative by the club.

LostDoggy
01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
I had $10 on us to win by over 39.5 points, collected $230 so can not complain then I read that we paid $103 for a dollar just for the win, would have collected over $1000. The team winning and playing like they did was better the any bet any how.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Just scanned this thread and their seems to be some thinking that Boydy may just not be good enough to be in our best 22... i checked the dates and they weren't made on April 1 so it was nothing to do with April fools day. General query seems to be over his disposal... i may be wrong but i think last year he was 6th IN THE LEAGUE for effective disposals. Go the Tricolors! ;)

GVGjr
01-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Just scanned this thread and their seems to be some thinking that Boydy may just not be good enough to be in our best 22... i checked the dates and they weren't made on April 1 so it was nothing to do with April fools day. General query seems to be over his disposal... i may be wrong but i think last year he was 6th IN THE LEAGUE for effective disposals. Go the Tricolors! ;)

I think this misrepresents things a bit. I don't anyone suggests that he isn't in the best 22. I heard some talk on SEN over the weekend indicating that we don't need Boyd to be the main man of the midfield instead we need him one of the main men in the midfield rotation.

It may get to a point where we don't need him to rack up 30 possessions a game as we develop the likes of Liberatore, Wallis and Smith further. Cross was very good on the weekend in what we would call a reduced role when compared to 2 or 3 years back.

Topdog
01-04-2013, 11:57 PM
I think this misrepresents things a bit. I don't anyone suggests that he isn't in the best 22. I heard some talk on SEN over the weekend indicating that we don't need Boyd to be the main man of the midfield instead we need him one of the main men in the midfield rotation.

It may get to a point where we don't need him to rack up 30 possessions a game as we develop the likes of Liberatore, Wallis and Smith further. Cross was very good on the weekend in what we would call a reduced role when compared to 2 or 3 years back.

Yeah that sounds more accurate. I am probably one of Boyd's biggest critics but we do need him. He is obviously a very good player and still easily our best mid however him not needing to have 35 touches a game is important and for the long term future of our club it would be fantastic if Libba and Wallis can start to take more responsibility this year.

Sedat
02-04-2013, 08:30 AM

Thank you GVGjr, that encapsulates the Boyd conundrum perfectly.

Ghost Dog
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Matty may have been able to get a different perspective, watching the game for a change. With more mature players in the side who know how to make space, hope he lowers his eyes a bit.

Looking at the replay again last night, managing expectations is going to be an issue now ( the flip side of success ). Brisbane flattered us with their awful set shots. Think they were still hungover from their NAB cup celebrations. Glad they couldn't kick straight.

whythelongface
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Was away over Easter so only watched the game last night. Overall I thought we were terrific and what was really evident is the style of play that we appear to be developing under McCartney, in particular the work around the clearances; the defensive pressure from all players; the hard running to space and the measured approach in delivering the football.

One could consider ourselves lucky that Brisbane missed some set shots early on in the game but in saying that we took complete advantage of this and were able to establish an early lead. We were also able to counter any comeback early on in the 2nd qtr and further increase our lead plus we ran the game out strongly after Brisbane scored three in a row late in the 3rd and early in the 4th.

One swallow does not a summer make, however there are plently of indications that our team is heading in the right direction. That was our best victory for a long time. The team would have gained a hell of a lot confidence from that win. What the team now needs to focus on is the ability to do this on a consistent basis. It will be interesting to see how we go against Fremantle.

always right
02-04-2013, 09:17 AM

You have to admire Cross. I never thought I'd say this but I feel entirely relaxed when he has the ball. His decision making has majorly improved over the last couple of years after he copped a bagging for a while there. Boyd needs to take a leaf out of Crossy's book, understand his limitations and adjust his game accordingly.

Mantis
02-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Matty may have been able to get a different perspective, watching the game for a change. With more presentable options in our forward line ( and half back, for a defensive kick back ) I hope he lowers his eyes a bit.

When he does he has a tendency to either kick it along the ground or try and over kick it.. It's been an issue for a while and becomes even more noticeable when he isn't there and we use the ball well.

Looking at the replay again last night, managing expectations is going to be an issue now ( the flip side of success ). Brisbane flattered us with their awful set shots. Think they were still hungover from their NAB cup celebrations. Glad they couldn't kick straight.

Even though we outplayed them in the 1st qtr, I think the I50's were 14-8, if Brisbane had taken their chances it may have been a different story. However we gained confidence and continued on our way.

Cyberdoggie
02-04-2013, 02:00 PM
When he does he has a tendency to either kick it along the ground or try and over kick it.. It's been an issue for a while and becomes even more noticeable when he isn't there and we use the ball well.

Yeah that's exactly right, when he kicks in a relaxed style instead of trying to kick it extra hard, low or long, he hits the target.

bornadog
02-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Realistically he does this maybe twice maybe three times a match out of his 40 disposals.

bulldogsman
02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Realistically he does this maybe twice maybe three times a match out of his 40 disposals.

I think the point is, he should be trying to just lobe it up a little rather then trying to do something he can rarely do (like daisy cutters which more often then not dribble along the ground or miss the inteded target). He will be more effective if he can play within his limitations much like Cross or Morris for example.

Greystache
02-04-2013, 02:35 PM

If he gets 40 disposals in a game, 20 are handballs (which generally are effective). 2 or 3 ridiculous kicks under no pressure hurt when combined with 5-10 kicks in contested situations that are at best 50-50. Boyd needs to make his uncontested possessions count and not let his ego hurt his output.

Bulldog Joe
02-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Perhaps a little too much concern for Boyd and his disposal efficiency.

Ball use was significantly better across the whole team and that was something McCartney had said would happen. Boyd's absence was not the reason. It was more about the team oriented method.

We gave a shepherd to the receiver creating space and provided movement to give options. Of course disposal improves in those conditions.

Why do posters not believe that Boyd can improve under the same circumstances ?

Raw Toast
02-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Random thoughts masquerading as a match report:

*Biggest concerns coming into the season were the quality of our disposal, in particular kicking, and our forward-line. Cohesion of the back 6 was also a concern. These three aspects were among our greatest strengths on the day. Long may this continue, though Freo fills me with dread!

*Didn't notice it so much at the game, but look at the stats, and we kicked the ball a lot of time, almost 2-1, but used hand-balls nicely to set up space for kicks.

*Wallis is developing very nicely. Ability to get the ball out quickly is wonderful, and if they have a stat for intercepting opposition hand-passes, I reckon he'll be leading it by the end of the year.

*Wasn't as noticeable on the replay, but the most exciting moment of the game was in the third quarter when Cooney got the ball around half-back, had a quick glance around, then burned through a pack of Lions players. The buzz through the crowd was electric, and I suspect the thrill of it all caused some, um, bodily responses, among at least a few.

One of the reasons the Cooney of 2008 was so deadly was his burst - opposition players would sag away as soon as he got the ball because otherwise he'd be past them in a flash, and this meant he had the space to create. For most of the time since, he'd get the ball and look to get rid of it immediately, because he had lost his ability to burst. At the game I was looking for signs that it was back, and he showed it a few times.

There was a moment earlier in the 3rd quarter when he received the kick-in from a behind and just played on. The tv commentators canned him cause he didn't have options, but I was pleased, and commented at the time that it showed he had the belief back that he could use his legs to get him out of trouble if needs be. His set shot at the end of the 1st Q was also very strong, calm and confident.

*I loved the way all our defenders kept their eyes on the ball when it was coming in. On at least four occasions, they outmarked opponents by focussing on the flight of the ball rather than searching for a body and being outpositioned (as frequently occurred in the past with kicks that wobbled or fell unexpectedly short). Morris, Goodes, Picken and Roughead all did it. Maybe the influence of Scarlett?

*The cohesion of all groups was v impressive. Defenders worked as if they'd been playing together along time, the forwards worked hard to create decent space for each other, and the midfielders were very organised, and blocked well together.

*Minson was wonderful. In the US, they speak about the game being "too fast" for certain players, and then if they are lucky enough to develop, they speak of "the game slowing down for them". Minson played as if they game had really slowed down for him. His timing with marks was wonderful, and suddenly when he had the ball, he played as if he could see his options and had the time to choose the correct one. Now Brisbane gave us way too much latitude, but Minson's ability to choose the correct option, often in the form of a nice short pass, was most pleasing.

*The tackling was up a notch, particular the ability of players to hold on. Dickson was a beast with this, as was Griffen, while the forward pressure was generally v good.

*Speaking of forward pressure, I'm in the camp of people who rate Jones' game pretty highly. He could be much better, but both in the ways he continually crashed packs, and his second-efforts with pressure, were super important. He'll start holding a fair few of those marks one day, but played very maturely, created lots of space for others, and didn't drop his head when things went against him.

*Cordy was a very nice bonus. He's going to excel in a while once the ball hits the deck, he's not quite got his athleticism back with it, but you could see the signs. He knows where others are, and can get the ball to them with taps and deflections. He had a hunger for the game. And his mark against Merrett was wonderful.

Cordy did drop two sitters after that, but I mark those down to tiredness among other things. You could see last year that Dickson would get very fumbly towards the end of games as the fatigue got to him, and I think Cordy will be like that for awhile as well. Still, his tackle late in the game on Merrett was a statement of what Cordy might grow into.

*Indeed, the father-son trio will be a key factor in just how far the new group can go (with Hunter and possible others of course). Liberatore was pretty magnificent as well.

*Very mature game from Griffen - has developed the ability to accumulate as well as hurt opposition with his possessions. I was very pleased to see him kick the goal in the first quarter from the set shot - he minimalised his tendency to swing around (like an inverse Franklin) and kicked through the ball more than his chip-shots of last year which tended to miss. Griffen's attack on the ball was glorious, and helped set the standard.

*Dalhaus broke the game open - he's a marvellous terrier. Still could work on a few things (needs to remain front-n-square rather than hope the ball goes over the top, and spent the ball once before acceptances). Higgins was also superb, showed what he might become if his body remains ok, and I think BMac has made his attack on the ball into a strength.

But it does really frustrate me that both Higgins and Dalhaus continue to go for chest marks in semi-contested situations. Missed opportunities didn't matter in this game, but they will in others.

*Speaking of negatives, I think we're still going to pretty vulnerable on the spread if we don't bottle the ball up quickly. Our midfield pressure was a strength, but on those occassions when the Lions were able to work the ball free, the space really opened up for them. Of course, this was their strength over the preseason, but we're going to be sliced open if we let the pressure down just a notch, and probably by the better teams anyway.

That said, it was interesting listening to David King on the replay, and his points that we'd worked super hard during the off-season on preventing the switch, and managed to generally corral Brisbane into playing down the wings.

ps as I'm sure you already know, I do love that B Goodes!

Go_Dogs
02-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Great write up RT, enjoyed it.

Remi Moses
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I retract my post then. Sorry Rem.

No problems Hairy. Agree with Jones running under the ball.
He has to eliminate that from his game. I was encouraged with some aspects of his game and very encouraged with Ayce( in particular that contested mark with Merrett).

Ghost Dog
02-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Great write up Toast.
It didn't matter much V Lions, but Jones and Higgins missed some very gettable goals. Against Freo, I hope we can ice those straight in front shots.

bornadog
02-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Great write up RT, enjoyed it.

+1 thank you

jeemak
02-04-2013, 11:08 PM
No problems Hairy. Agree with Jones running under the ball.
He has to eliminate that from his game. I was encouraged with some aspects of his game and very encouraged with Ayce( in particular that contested mark with Merrett).

This was a specific are in which I was monitoring Jones, and I really did think that this week it was a case of the kicker plonking the ball behind him or too far in the air when they had capacity to drop it in front of him.

Some of the delivery killed him.

Raw Toast
02-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Great write up Toast.
It didn't matter much V Lions, but Jones and Higgins missed some very gettable goals. Against Freo, I hope we can ice those straight in front shots.

Agreed - some will always miss (and Brisbane was diabolical in this area), and Higgins had a superb game. If he starts kicking those, then the rest of the comp needs to beware, but it's going to be much harder to find space against Freo!

boydogs
03-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Why do posters not believe that Boyd can improve under the same circumstances ?

I'm sure being afforded more space and time will help, but I can still see him going for too much. He loves the old John Platten to Jason Dunstall spear kick that doesn't get 3 foot off the ground, but he rarely gets it right.

Our midfield pressure was a strength, but on those occassions when the Lions were able to work the ball free, the space really opened up for them.

I think to some extent that's the nature of the zone.

Ghost Dog
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Agreed - some will always miss (and Brisbane was diabolical in this area), and Higgins had a superb game. If he starts kicking those, then the rest of the comp needs to beware, but it's going to be much harder to find space against Freo!

Well, especially since Ross Lyon has watched the tape of our game 10 times already. Griff can expect a hard tag, as can Luke. But it will be interesting, as we can return fire now with a few options of our own.

whythelongface
03-04-2013, 09:10 AM
That said, it was interesting listening to David King on the replay, and his points that we'd worked super hard during the off-season on preventing the switch, and managed to generally corral Brisbane into playing down the wings.

Great write up RT.

This is an interesting point and is what Geelong do really well. They did this (at times) against Hawthorn on the weekend which made them go down the wings. Obviously something McCartney has learnt at his time at Geelong.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Great write ups guys.

I don't have much time to contribute meaningfully at the moment, but I'll touch on a few things.

* Wallis/Libba were enormous and are going to be extremely good footballers. We knew that already, but I truly think they can elevate themselves into the top bracket. Think Westy/Mitchell/Sewell types. Their ability to win the ball from stoppages and feed it out cleanly is very impressive. Libba is so damaging by mind and foot too, whilst Wallis' defensive efforts were incredible.

* This was the first time under McCartney we played to a structure. It seems that last season was very basic: "win the contested ball". It certainly brought about some pain (and doubt) but what we saw on Saturday was a very impressive team structure that put enormous pressure on Brisbane, continually causing them to either turn it over or kick to a contest. The way we set up defensively was a pleasure to watch, as was the way we moved the ball forward. We created space for one another and we lowered our eyes -- two things we've been terrible at for 2-3 years.

* Goodes and Lower were phenomenal, but I also really liked the games of Young and Stevens. Together, these four added a lot to the make-up of our side. Individually they did very well, but the way they gelled with the team was very important.

* We looked dangerous up forward. Murphy was fantastic -- undoubtedly one of the best mid forwards in the game. His constant unpredictable movement patterns helped Jones and Cordy to get on their bikes. Coupled with Gia moving freely, Dickson/Dahl applying a heap of pressure and Higgins close to BOG, we functioned very very well. Just on Higgins, it's the best I have seen him move since his first year or two. He covered the ground very well, had that initial burst of speed, tackled well and used the ball very well. It reminded me why he was my favourite player a few years back.

I think Fremantle is going to be a stern test, and one that I think could possibly 'bring us back to reality', but it'll be interesting to see how we handle it.

LostDoggy
03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
we saw a team playing to the Club's identity.

This. As soon as I read those words, I knew it summed up exactly my thoughts on the game.

Twodogs
04-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm sure being afforded more space and time will help, but I can still see him going for too much. He loves the old John Platten to Jason Dunstall spear kick that doesn't get 3 foot off the ground, but he rarely gets it right.

Or Terd Whitten Jr to Kelvin Templeton.

Hotdog60
04-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Really calling Ted Jr and Terd is a bit much.;)

Twodogs
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Really calling Ted Jr and Terd is a bit much.;)

I cant believe I did that. :cool:

F'scary
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM

I had not realised Whitten Jnr had a Scandinavian name.

Also, I think I saw one of those in IKEA.

Hotdog60
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
I had not realised Whitten Jnr had a Scandinavian name.

Also, I think I saw one of those in IKEA.

What's a robot doing in Ikea, a allen key could be dangerous.

F'scary
04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
What's a robot doing in Ikea, a allen key could be dangerous.

I was considering buying a Terd.