PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard and lack of information

bornadog
29-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Etihad boss wants countdown clocks (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clock-and-awe-etihad-boss-wants-countdown-clocks-20130328-2gxfk.html)

For years I have thought with all the technology available, why aren't fans given more information at the game. I agree with the Eithad boss on a count down clock, but do understand some people don't like it.

What about other innovations on the scoreboard/Vision at the game:

On the side of the main vision why not have some extra information:

* I miss not having the quarter by quarter scores up permanently - I want to know how many did we kick that quarter for example.

* What about some running stats, on players, on the whole team etc.

* Maybe multiple vision - eg you have the main picture and maybe too smaller ones showing close ups of the action.

There are plenty of ideas, the technology is there, but the innovation is not.

PS: I think the MCG is worse than Eithad.

soupman
29-03-2013, 10:08 PM
I am completely against the idea of a countdown clock. Absolutely hate it. I just think not knowing when the siren will go just adds to the atmosphere. Half of the fun of jumping up and cheering when the siren goes is the relief that it's over. Knowing when it will go is just taking that away from the match.

Plus I think it's likely that there will be groups in the crowd that will count down the last 10 seconds, and I can't think of anything more cringeworthy.

Eastdog
30-03-2013, 03:37 AM
I am completely against the idea of a countdown clock. Absolutely hate it. I just think not knowing when the siren will go just adds to the atmosphere. Half of the fun of jumping up and cheering when the siren goes is the relief that it's over. Knowing when it will go is just taking that away from the match.

Plus I think it's likely that there will be groups in the crowd that will count down the last 10 seconds, and I can't think of anything more cringeworthy.

Agree soupaman. I'm anti countdown clock too.

jeemak
30-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Countdown Clock - You'll see supporters leaving when the ball's in the back half knowing they can't get the desired result with only 30 seconds to go, and they're 7 points down.

AndrewP6
30-03-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm all for it. I listen to the radio broadcast where they all but count it down anyway.

Bulldog4life
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm all for it. I listen to the radio broadcast where they all but count it down anyway.

I agree too Andrew. I'm all for it. It is equally exciting when you know there is say 30 seconds left and the team just behind has the ball. I always listen to the radio too at the match. Otherwise I have got no idea who has the ball sometimes when play is down the other end.

ratsmac
01-04-2013, 08:48 PM
No countdown for me too. I hate it when I know there is enough time for a team to beat us when we are up.

bornadog
01-04-2013, 11:58 PM
So far in this thread not one positive suggestion on what you would like to see on the scoreboard, just a discussionon the count down clock.

AndrewP6
02-04-2013, 12:08 AM
So far in this thread not one positive suggestion on what you would like to see on the scoreboard, just a discussionon the count down clock.

Perhaps an indication people are by and large Ok with the scoreboard info? I for one am not that fussed.

westdog54
02-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Generally when I'm at the game I'm so engrossed in the on field action I only fittingly glance at the scoreboard, generally just to watch replays our catch an 'around the grounds' score. I don't think it needs anything further.

I shudder at the thought of a countdown clock.

Axe Man
02-04-2013, 11:31 AM
It would be a nice innovation if the Etihad boss could turn the TVs on up in level 3. For those that haven't sat up there large steel beams obscure the scoreboard in many seats so there are TVs on the roof. On Saturday none of the TVs I could see were turned on at any stage.

Oh and I don't want a countdown clock either. As mentioned if you want to know how long is left listen to the radio.

Ozza
02-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm ok with what they have up on the scoreboard at the moment.

Definitely anti-countdown clock.

I like that when there is a match on elsewhere - the scores are on the board and updated everytime there is a change. They do a good job.

jeemak
02-04-2013, 12:19 PM
BAD, some of the innovations such as statistical analysis won't be placed on the main scoreboard as they will reduce the size and quantity of the advertising we see there during the major breaks.

I'd like to see stats shown on other displays that are continually updated however. Not sure where you'd put them, and I wonder how relevant they'll be as phone applications become more sophisticated.

bornadog
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM
BAD, some of the innovations such as statistical analysis won't be placed on the main scoreboard as they will reduce the size and quantity of the advertising we see there during the major breaks.

I'd like to see stats shown on other displays that are continually updated however. Not sure where you'd put them, and I wonder how relevant they'll be as phone applications become more sophisticated.

Funny thing was I noticed on Saturday they were flashing upo lots of stats during the game:eek:

Maybe someone from Eithad reads this forum:D

At minimum I think they should have the quarter by quarter scores up on the board.

Twodogs
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM

I agree too Andrew. I'm all for it. It is equally exciting when you know there is say 30 seconds left and the team just behind has the ball. I always listen to the radio too at the match. Otherwise I have got no idea who has the ball sometimes when play is down the other end.

I text/ring friends I know are watching on Foxtel asking them how long there is to go.

The timeclock is too small. I was sitting pretty much opposite the scoreboard at the other end of the ground (next to the other scoreboard) and I couldnt tell how much time had elapsed. I had to resort to setting the stopwatch on my mobile phone.

The Underdog
02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
The timeclock is too small. I was sitting pretty much opposite the scoreboard at the other end of the ground (next to the other scoreboard) and I couldnt tell how much time had elapsed. I had to resort to setting the stopwatch on my mobile phone.

The scoreboards at ES are too small generally.
In general I find the information lacking on them, although not sure if anything has changed this year. It's a bugbear of mine that no incident at AFL game's that is even slightly controversial is replayed.

westdog54
02-04-2013, 05:19 PM
I text/ring friends I know are watching on Foxtel asking them how long there is to go.

I can see it fine.

You must be getting old;)

LostDoggy
03-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Hate the idea of a countdown clock. I berate anybody who yells out “30 seconds to go”, it ruins the suspense. You're 5 points up, not knowing if you have 5 minutes or 2 seconds left. It's what I come to the game live for.

I think any of the innovations you mention can be achieved on TV. Like west dog, I come to the game to just see the game, raw and sans-McAvaney.

Twodogs
03-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I can see it fine.

You must be getting old;)

Sorry? Speak up-you're mumbling like all the other young people do...

craigsahibee
09-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Just on the scoreboard at Etihad. I noticed on Saturday that the jumper graphic they use next to our players names when displaying the stats is actually the robo-dog version. It's not too much to ask the stadium to update their IT files is it?

Or as second class citizens at this venue do we just have to accept it?