PDA

View Full Version : Macca's Message - Members Only - round 1

bornadog
02-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Dear Member,

On behalf of the Club, a big welcome to you for the new season. I know I’ve come across many of you out there at various functions – we hope you enjoyed the Easter break and the start to our season.

It’s a funny game footy, I’m sure in some circles, the result on the weekend probably surprised some people — internally we weren’t surprised. The margin was a pretty good reflection of how the game played out — we played some really good football early, and were probably fortunate that Brisbane didn’t capitalise on some opportunities, which added to our confidence and helped us to play out the game. Brisbane are on the right track, and we know they’re going to be a formidable opponents in the next few years as they are a similar age bracket to our list.

The game came off the back of our good pre-season form, where the two games during the NAB Cup, that we played our strongest and most mature team, we got some good results — a win against Hawthorn and a narrow loss to Richmond.

The day was also a good opportunity for us to play our four new mature recruits in Tom Young, Koby Stevens, Nick Lower and Brett Goodes, and although some got more accolades than others, all played their roles really well. They have added some depth to our Club and have enabled some of their teammates to play in other areas of the ground.

We also saw the emergence of Jordan Roughead, who will fill a key defensive position for a long period of time at our Club — he will anchor our defence and is receiving brilliant support from Dale Morris, who was another positive story on the day.

We feel that we played a good brand of football on the weekend — a brand that requires every single player to play their part, and I think you’ll agree that the players carried out their tasks effectively, particularly our younger players who showed some signs of maturity out there. They are a little stronger this year, have a greater capacity to run and handled some really difficult parts of the game against the Lions.

At Torquay on Sunday where our VFL affiliate Williamstown played, we saw Jake Stringer and Jackson Macrae have a significant impact on the game, and both are on track to play some senior football early in the year — their opportunities will come and we’re confident they’ll be ready to take them when they appear.

We move on to another significant challenge this week, where we play a mature and developed team, that plays football the right way in Fremantle, and we look forward to playing our brand of football against them.

When you come to watch us this season, you will see a team that can run games out better and that can compete for longer. We will have some good days, and we might have some bad days too, but either way, your ongoing support is vital to us. We need you at the footy this week, in fact, we need you at the footy every week. We want you out there in the red, white and blue making as much racket as you can possibly make.

See you at the footy,

Brendan McCartney

whythelongface
03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
We move on to another significant challenge this week, where we play a mature and developed team, that plays football the right way in Fremantle, and we look forward to playing our brand of football against them.

Just a question but what does the highlighted bit mean? Is there a right way or a wrong way? Obviously there are different ways to play football but is one way right and another way wrong.

I am thinking he means that Fremantle play the type of football that he wants us playing - tough, uncomprising, hard at it etc etc.

LongWait
03-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Just a question but what does the highlighted bit mean? Is there a right way or a wrong way? Obviously there are different ways to play football but is one way right and another way wrong.

I am thinking he means that Fremantle play the type of football that he wants us playing - tough, uncomprising, hard at it etc etc.

That's how I read it too.

Greystache
03-04-2013, 10:17 AM

That's pretty much it.

It's a personal view point naturally, but Macca has been on record a number of time saying that physically tough players capable of winning contested footy, team defence, and fierce attack on the ball or the opposition player with it are what wins big games/finals. He calls it playing the right way.

whythelongface
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
That's pretty much it.

It's a personal view point naturally, but Macca has been on record a number of time saying that physically tough players capable of winning contested footy, team defence, and fierce attack on the ball or the opposition player with it are what wins big games/finals. He calls it playing the right way.

Cheers for that. I'm sure he has stated it many times but it is something I have glossed over without giving it much thought.

ledge
03-04-2013, 10:49 AM
One things for sure,while Macca is in the job out recruits will be hungry for the footy and hard at it

Bulldog Revolution
03-04-2013, 11:00 AM

It has become a bit of a cliche in sports coaching 'playing the right way'

Larry Brown, former head coach of many NBA teams, and the 2004 championship with the Detroit Pistons where they upset a high fancied Lakers team who had added veterans Karl Malone and Gary Payton to Kobe and Shaq, banged on about it for years.

I think it basically means playing the way the coach wants you to play. In basketball its a combination of ball and player movement on offence, sharing the ball, making the extra pass, and defending with intensity.

In modern AFL it seems to revolve around contested footy; defensive acts; 1%ers and then ball movement attack built from the first three

WB4Life
03-04-2013, 11:01 AM
That's pretty much it.

Could also be called the way the game should be played.

Greystache
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Could also be called the way the game should be played.

I'm inclined to agree, but many people love free flowing shootouts with continuous ball movement and very little contested play.

bornadog
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm inclined to agree, but many people love free flowing shootouts with continuous ball movement and very little contested play.

I love both.

Greystache
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I love both.

If a team could do them both at the same time they'd be unstopable :p

The Bulldogs Bite
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Not that Hawthorn can't compete when it gets tough, but in recent years they have fallen short when quality opposition really put pressure on them and congested the game up. Think of the Collingwood v Hawthorn '11 PF, Sydney v Hawthorn '12 GF and of course the last 10 games v Geelong. Although on Monday, ironically, it was probably Geelong's run.

Either way, choking other sides up is a proven formula. The tricky part is scoring enough yourself, which at times St. Kilda struggled to do back a few years ago.

Eastdog
03-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Dear Member,

Brendan McCartney

I was wondering BAD if this letter comes in the mail or if its just sent via email.

bornadog
03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I was wondering BAD if this letter comes in the mail or if its just sent via email.

email

mjp
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
OK. Anyone know how to subscribe to the letter...it is not as if I am not a member and don't receive countless other emails from the club.

Strange.

whythelongface
03-04-2013, 03:41 PM
OK. Anyone know how to subscribe to the letter...it is not as if I am not a member and don't receive countless other emails from the club.

Strange.

Did you receive an email yesterday titled "The Dogs Insider"? The message is contained in that email.

LostDoggy
03-04-2013, 03:58 PM

My take on it was simply that Macca has a great respect for the way Fremantle are playing at the moment, and as others have said, that is likely a contested, hard-as-nails style. I tend to agree with him. Freo are looking like a very dangerous team so far.

stefoid
03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
The right way is the way that wins you finals and premierships, by definition. Lyon has had the wood on us for quite while, and gone within a bounce of a premiership with a list that wasnt that special, so he must be doing something right.

Eastdog
03-04-2013, 05:14 PM
email

Yep found it in the email that said The Dogs insider so all good.

mjp
03-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Did you receive an email yesterday titled "The Dogs Insider"? The message is contained in that email.

Yep - I did.

Probably should have looked through that a bit more I guess but it was quickly relegated to the trash...now I know there is a article from the coach in there I will be reading it!