PDA

View Full Version : Training Thread 2013

Greystache
03-04-2013, 09:56 AM
With the preseason over and games commencing this is the thread for all training discussion. Please feel free to post any reports or observations from training, it doesn't matter if it's only a snippet, it will be appreciated.

bornadog
03-04-2013, 10:34 AM
The next open training session is scheduled for Friday 5 April 2013 at 10:30am, at Whitten Oval, West Footscray.

SlimPickens
03-04-2013, 11:50 AM
The next open training session is scheduled for Friday 2 April 2013 at 10:30am, at Whitten Oval, West Footscray.

Is that Tuesday the 2nd or Friday the 5th....maybe you can't read a calendar properly :D. Seems both of us have been mislead by the club.

Greystache
03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I'd be taking the advertised time as a rough guideline only. If you are going to make a big effort to make it to training I'd suggest calling the club to see if they can confirm what's actually happening. I've been caught out a couple of times this year.

bornadog
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Is that Tuesday the 2nd or Friday the 5th....maybe you can't read a calendar properly :D. Seems both of us have been mislead by the club.

Touche:D

Copied from Club Website.

bornadog
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Can we sticky this thread please.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Do teams normally train the day before a match? I haven't noticed this in the past?

bornadog
23-04-2013, 11:20 PM
The next open training session is scheduled for Friday 26 April 2013 at 10:30am, at Whitten Oval, West Footscray.

bornadog
01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
The next open training session is scheduled for Saturday 4 May 2013 at 10:30am, at the WACA Ground, Hale St, East Perth.

AndrewP6
10-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Went along to training today, as I'm on leave from work. :) fairly light session as you'd expect, with some kicking practise (field and goal) some work on ruck taps... Was hard to see, but I'm not sure I saw Griff there - could be wrong though.

Seeing some of the staff in The Pound, I have to say Ben Graham is one big unit.
Will have a look at my pics and upload any that are worth it.

Maddog37
11-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks Andrew.

SlimPickens
14-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Some footage and insight at dogs training will be on AFL insider tonight at 9.30 for those of you who have foxtel.

Twodogs
24-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Do teams normally train the day before a match? I haven't noticed this in the past?

They trained today. I didnt stay for the whole session but from what I saw it seemed a fairly light session. Stretches, run throughs, thrusts, passing the ball over distances between 5 to 30 metres and then goal kicking practice from angles and then from the 50 metre arc right in front.

Ben Graham took the long distance goal kicking drills and handed out advice on kicking technique. Griff stood next to him and hung on every word. Liam Jones drilled both the long distance shots I saw him take.

Libba sr was there and seemed to have a person with a film camera following him about.

wimberga
24-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the report Twodogs

Maddog37
24-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks TD.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks TD for the report. Living on the Peninsula I don't get to see many training sessions so it is greatly appreciated to read any snippet of training news.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the report TD.

Hotdog60
24-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Thanks TD, the Northern component thrive on these first hand accounts from training runs. It's not something that is generally reported.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 05:46 PM
The next open training session is scheduled for Friday 31 May 2013 at 10:15am, at the TIO Stadium, Darwin.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 05:47 PM
The next open training session is scheduled for Friday 31 May 2013 at 10:15am, at the TIO Stadium, Darwin.

Thanks TD, the Northern component thrive on these first hand accounts from training runs. It's not something that is generally reported.

Hope you are going to training. Any reports will be welcome.

Hotdog60
30-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Hope you are going to training. Any reports will be welcome.

Eastern seaboard, sorry.:)

bornadog
30-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Eastern seaboard, sorry.:)

Sorry, I thought you were the poster from Darwin.:o

LostDoggy
27-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Is there an open training session this week?

bornadog
27-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Is there an open training session this week?

Friday 10.30

bornadog
16-07-2013, 02:43 PM
For those going interstate:

The next open training session is scheduled for Friday 19 July 2013 at 3:45pm, at Aurora Stadium, Invermay Road, Launceston.

Murphy'sLore
16-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks bornadog. My family (plus mother-in-law) will be flying in to Lonnie on Friday morning so hopefully we can get along to this session.

bornadog
16-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks bornadog. My family (plus mother-in-law) will be flying in to Lonnie on Friday morning so hopefully we can get along to this session.

Send us a report. Hope you enjoy it. Wish I was going , but can't make it.

Eastdog
27-07-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't really go to training but for anyone that went how did we look?

Twodogs
20-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Went down to training today.

-light session. Stretching, a few run throughs and then into it. I counted about 30 players taking part.
-Cooney didn't train but I didn't notice who else wasn't there. feel free to run names past me and I'll see if I can remember seeing them
-players looked very happy. Lots of voice.
-started with in close hand balling drills for the mids and chipping the ball about by foot for the forwards. Watching Griff and Murph receiving and handballing the ball is a pleasure to see. Their anticipation and ability to get away again is freakish.
-Roberts was away from the group for this part working on picking the ball up below his knees with Murph.
-then the players split into groups and they had a competitive game with a football and a tennis ball. The aim was to get both balls from one end to the other quicker than the other groups. It got very competitive, Lin Jong and Tutt dropped the ball twice. Gia wasn't happy and let them know about it. Gia and Murph were feeding the ball to one group and Hunter (I think) and Stevens were feeding the other.
-Dalhaus, Hunter and a few others got into a push and shove after this drill which ended with Talia (I think) on the ground with the others piling on top
-Griff, Roberts, Talia, Dal, and Wallis were the last to leave the track.

Daniel Bandy was there. Minson and Crossy spent a long time talking to him after the session had finished.

I am happy to answer any questions.

bornadog
20-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks TD for the update, I wonder what Bandy was up to?

I remember chatting to him after a player Golf Day, very nice bloke. We were in the bar at the golf course and on the screen was an old game from the 80's. We all had a good laugh over the shorts they were wearing back then. :D

Twodogs
20-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks TD for the update, I wonder what Bandy was up to?

I remember chatting to him after a player Golf Day, very nice bloke. We were in the bar at the golf course and on the screen was an old game from the 80's. We all had a good laugh over the shorts they were wearing back then. :D

Top bloke. Many years ago I went on a course for fathers. We all had to get up and say who we were and what we did. Bandy walked to the front of the room and pretty much everyone knew who he was before he'd had a chance to speak. He looked very surprised!

He was very popular with the playing group today. Everyone went over to say hello and a few of the older guys stood and talked to him for ages.

Eastdog
20-08-2013, 08:09 PM
As I'm one that doesn't get to training thanks for that update TD. Did Liam Jones train? Did he practice some kicking at goal.

Twodogs
20-08-2013, 08:58 PM
As I'm one that doesn't get to training thanks for that update TD. Did Liam Jones train? Did he practice some kicking at goal.

Didn't see Liam. All the players train in their matchday numbers but for some reason Fletcher Roberts was wearing number 18 today. he did a lot of work at picking the ball up below his knees. Maybe Flethcher will play this'd week?

Eastdog
20-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Didn't see Liam. All the players train in their matchday numbers but for some reason Fletcher Roberts was wearing number 18 today. he did a lot of work at picking the ball up below his knees. Maybe Flethcher will play this'd week?

Would be good to give him an opportunity. Who would he come in for if we do call him up.

boydogs
20-08-2013, 09:28 PM
-Dalhaus, Hunter and a few others got into a push and shove after this drill which ended with Talia (I think) on the ground with the others piling on top

Assuming they were just mucking around?

The Underdog
20-08-2013, 09:36 PM

I assume he was wearing 18 because it's his number. :D
Thanks for the report TD, hard to believe the season is over in 2 weeks.

Twodogs
20-08-2013, 11:42 PM
I assume he was wearing 18 because it's his number. :D
Thanks for the report TD, hard to believe the season is over in 2 weeks.

Yeah, you're right. That would be the reason. :o

bornadog
27-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Open training this Saturday (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-08-27/open-training-this-saturday)

Don’t miss the final Western Bulldogs open training session of the 2013 season, at Victoria University Whitten Oval on Saturday from 10:30am.

The team will take to the field for the final time ahead of the round 23 clash against Melbourne, on Sunday twilight at Etihad Stadium.

Members and fans are encouraged to attend the final training session of the year, to support the young side ahead of the final game of the 2013 home and away season.

Player autographs will be available after the training session, while the Bulldogs Shop will also be open for all of your merchandise needs.