PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Office - Ayce Cordy Player Review (Rd1)

bornadog
04-04-2013, 02:33 PM
bGCvPHfuJ7k

Love these reports from Ash Hansen.

When you look at the highlights of Ayce, you can see he is going to be a handful in the future.

SlimPickens
04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Another very good initiative by the club and much appreciated.

Thought Ayces game was a very solid building point for what will hopefully be a very productive year.

Was interested in people criticsm of Jones game vs the praise put on Ayce. Statistically they had very similar games and it could be argued the Jones pressure was to a much higher level.

Do we simply have higher expectations of Jones or is it that our expectations of Ayce are considerably lower?

F'scary
04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Ayce Cordy: I never doubted him

bornadog
04-04-2013, 03:18 PM

And you are not even human:D to admit a mistake:D

Greystache
04-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Another very good initiative by the club and much appreciated.

Thought Ayces game was a very solid building point for what will hopefully be a very productive year.

Was interested in people criticsm of Jones game vs the praise put on Ayce. Statistically they had very similar games and it could be argued the Jones pressure was to a much higher level.

Do we simply have higher expectations of Jones or is it that our expectations of Ayce are considerably lower?

There's probably a bit of both, but I think it's also that Cordy's first half was quite good when the game was there to be won, and in the second half he barely touched the footy which kept his stats low. Jones on the other hand was about even all match so it felt like he didn't have as much impact. Also that it was the first good signs Cordy had shown probably gets people to notice him more.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Bit of both.

Personally I thought Jones contributed and competed really well. He didn't have a big game statistically, dropped a couple of marks and missed one he should nail, but his effort was fantastic. I was very disappointed with Jones' application last season, he isn't going to play well every game, but one thing he can control is his effort.

Jones and Cordy worked really well as a team for the first time last Saturday, hopefully it continues.

westdog54
04-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Post of the year so far.

Ayce is showing just how overrated stats are with his efforts.

Mantis
04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Ayce is showing just how overrated stats are with his efforts.

Whilst his efforts were good getting just 8 touches and taking only 2 marks isn't going to cut the mustard for too long... Same for Jones. They simply have to win more of the ball when they have the chance, taking rather than spilling gettable marks is one very easy way to achieve this.

Bulldog Joe
04-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Whilst his efforts were good getting just 8 touches and taking only 2 marks isn't going to cut the mustard for too long... Same for Jones. They simply have to win more of the ball when they have the chance, taking rather than spilling gettable marks is one very easy way to achieve this.

Sorry Mantis, but I just have to disagree.

The amount of possession is not really relevant. It is how they fill the role required. Ayce was very good early and got noticed, but he still contributed later by competing, bring the ball to ground and applying pressure.

Jones was involved in the early goals without even getting a stat. I believe he created the spill that eventually got to Cordy for the 2nd goal and he contested on the ground to tap the ball on for Dahlhaus to give to Gia for the 3rd goal. Neither occasion gave him a possession stat, but if he did that 5 or 6 times a game he has contributed immensely.

Jones also spent plenty of time getting Merrett away from the action, obviously working for the team and not his personal stats. This is what we want in a team performance.

I do agree, however, that they do need to hold more marks.

Ozza
04-04-2013, 06:19 PM
One thing that was a welcome surprise - was the overall functionality of the forward line. The big guys didn't get dragged too far up the ground, and both Jones and Cordy seemed to work as a team creating space for each other.

Having Bob Murphy forward will be huge for these guys.