PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 3 vs Richmond

Greystache
06-04-2013, 11:17 AM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Sunday's game against Richmond at Etihad Stadium?

As usual a brief description of your changes would be good.

Greystache
06-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Could be a couple in contention but it may be hard work Willy having the bye.

Rance Fan
06-04-2013, 06:15 PM
In Stringer, Macrae
Out Gia, Cordy

Hotdog60
06-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Boyd said he might be right this week

So Smith may make way for him. I would like to give Stringer a go but I can't see the MC dropping one of our slow forwards.

bulldogsman
06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
^ Boyd for Stevens probably, Smith was ok.

Wood? I would prefer he was made to earn his spot through Williamstown personally. Young plays Woods role better anyway.

I don't think Stringer is ready yet Rance Fan.

boydogs
06-04-2013, 06:49 PM
In: Boyd, Stringer
Out: Stevens, Cordy

bornadog
06-04-2013, 06:51 PM
In Stringer, Macrae
Out Gia, Cordy

In: Boyd, Stringer
Out: Stevens, Cordy

Who plays second ruck if Cordy is out?

dogman
06-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Jones

bornadog
06-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Jones

I think Jones is lucky to hold his spot.

always right
06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Not sure why people have Smith in ahead of Stevens. I thought Stevens was more constructive int eh short time he was on the ground than Smith was. He's certainly a more effective disposer of the ball thna Smith who I thought was very average today.

I don't think we should rush Boyd back in but if we do, then I think Smith should go. Otherwise no change unless we are looking to give blokes a rest.

DOG GOD
06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Stringer for cordy.

Why do u want Stevens dropped? I thought he was unlucky to be the sub...at least got the ball when he came on.

lemmon
06-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Would rather drop Higgins before Stevens, was very good in the time he got.

Out- Jones, Higgins

In- Williams/Roberts, Boyd/Macrae

Mofra
06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
No way I'd want Stevens out, 12 or so touches from a bit over a quarter.

Think there will be no change, but we have a hard call coming up - Gia, Higgins & Dickson can't all play in the forward 6. Something has to give - noticed Smith & Cross playing forward, Stevcens may rotate forward as well when Boyd comes back and we make the hard call on our three slowish small/mid forwards.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Need more run.

Cordy stays in for ruck relief until Williams is ready IMO.

Out: Smith
In: Macrae

always right
06-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Out- Jones, Higgins

You want to bring in Williams when he hasn't played a game yet?

lemmon
06-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Fair call, fair call, for some reason I thought he played some nab cup

Greystache
06-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Twitter saying no injuries from the game. Boyd some chance to return.

No change for me. Our senior players were who let us down today, or young or fringe players were amongst our best.

always right
06-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Fair call, fair call, for some reason I thought he played some nab cup

Don't get me wrong.....as soon as he gets some match fitness, I'm all for getting him into the side at CHF.

Greystache
06-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Don't get me wrong.....as soon as he gets some match fitness, I'm all for getting him into the side at CHF.

I'm sure many will disagree but I'd be inclined to play Williams forward and switching into the ruck and make Cordy and Jones fight it out for the other key forward role. Protecting Williams won't stop him getting injured, and he's not young anymore, throw him into it and hopefully he strings a few together before he gets injured again.

boydogs
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM

I think we should get Roughead to do it. He has been pretty good in defense, but with Morris and Young going well I think we should take advantage of his rucking ability. Cordy isn't doing enough to hold his spot.

Greystache
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
I think we should get Roughead to do it. He has been pretty good in defense, but with Morris and Young going well I think we should take advantage of his rucking ability. Cordy isn't doing enough to hold his spot.

I can't agree with you on that gogriff. Roughead looks every bit a 200 game full back and I wouldn't be keen to interupt that at the moment.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Out- Jones, Higgins

Roberts would be good. Like to have more of a look at him.
Would you have him down back or up forward lemmon?

Mantis
06-04-2013, 09:59 PM

Neither has Roberts.. well at least at AFL level.

AndrewP6
06-04-2013, 10:03 PM
Stringer for Cordy. Jake might not be really ready, but if he's physically OK, it's worth a roll of the dice IMO. For mine, Cordy is just a passenger.

Greystache
06-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Stringer for Cordy. Jake might not be really ready, but if he's physically OK, it's worth a roll of the dice IMO. For mine, Cordy is just a passenger.

Who would you ruck with Minson?

Before I Die
06-04-2013, 10:06 PM
No changes is my preference unless Boyd is fit, in which case he comes in. Who goes out? Probably Stevens or Smith, purely because their sub selections put them on the periphery. Gia, Higgins and Dickson have enough runs on the board to cover for one bad performance.
Macrae was the best at Willy and he is unlikely to greatly improve the senior team at this stage of his career.

In: Boyd if fit
Out: Stevens, but only if Boyd is available.

Hotdog60
06-04-2013, 10:09 PM
The thing with Cordy and Jones if they held their marks between them they would have at least 10- 15 shots at goal and even at a 50% strike rate it would give us 7 - 8 goals a game and be in a strong winning position.

Take 1 or 2 marks between them and take the 50% strike rate makes hard to win anything.

Mantis
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
The thing with Cordy and Jones if they held their marks between them they would have at least 10- 15 shots at goal and even at a 50% strike rate it would give us 7 - 8 goals a game and be in a strong winning position.

Take 1 or 2 marks between them and take the 50% strike rate makes hard to win anything.

If I had a 12 inch.....

Be honest, they're battling.

Hotdog60
06-04-2013, 10:18 PM
If I had a 12 inch.....

They are battling and you cannot fault their endeavor but the skill level just isn't there at the moment. To be honest they both look best when there on the move. Maybe it's a fitness thing or concentration lapses.

AndrewP6
06-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Who would you ruck with Minson?

Jones. Not ideal I know, but those two up front isn't working. If we had a better option I'd give Jones a spell too. Not sure how Tom Campbell is tracking.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2013, 10:50 PM
If I had a 12 inch.....

They were ok last week. Were not the only ones to have shockers today.
I don't think I've ever had to put Picken as an anchor ever before.

Mantis
06-04-2013, 10:56 PM
They were ok last week. Were not the only ones to have shockers today.

Their efforts were good last week, but the output was pretty minimal.. They are youngsters, but they need to do more.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2013, 11:10 PM
There efforts were good last week, but the output was pretty minimal.. They are youngsters, but they need to do more.

Agreed. Especially in the kicking dept. I think both need to put their shoulders over the ball a bit more, and really aim at the back of the stand.
Some of their kicks just tend to float through.
They have to fix that if the team is going to have any speck of confidence to give it to them.

The Pie Man
07-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Macrae for Cordy

Thought it strange that Wallis was subbed at a time when Cordy had 2 touches, but given he was he could be am omission candidate. Also thought Smith was...fair, while Gia, Higgins & Dickson struggled.

So I thought Macrae for one of Smith (or Gia) if going down the team balance road, but I can't go past dropping Cordy despite not having a viable 'big' to come up.

Jones can play 2nd ruck - as conceded by some already, not ideal, though I think it can help Jones become more involved/engaged in the contest.

As for Macrae - solid preseason, 29 touches in Torquay, weekend off to rest any young niggles. I think he should be primed to debut.

If Boyd is ready, drop Smith too

EasternWest
07-04-2013, 09:03 AM
In: Boyd if fit
Out: Stevens, but only if Boyd is available.

I can't agree with this. The only way Stevens goes out at this stage is if he is injured.

always right
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Neither has Roberts.. well at least at AFL level.

Where did I suggest Roberts should come in?

I think calls for players to come in with zero game time under their belt are fanciful. Aint gonna happen.

Personally I think Macca is likely to keep the lineup relatively settled for one more week. So far we've had one excellent performance and one where the effort was there but too many players were beaten in their positions. Some players would not want to put in a poor one against the tigers as I'm certain we will see changes for round four.

G-Mo77
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
All the calls for Cordy and then calling for Jones to backup in the Ruck I don't understand. Cordy will go if Campbell comes in or a lesser extent Williams to pinch hit ruck duties. Jones has to learn his craft as a forward and is having enough difficulty with that.

I don't see many changes. It was a real hot day out there yesterday and it would have been pretty taxing on a few of them. Could be a General Soreness somewhere next week.

Before I Die
07-04-2013, 10:57 AM
I can't agree with this. The only way Stevens goes out at this stage is if he is injured.

Stevens does deserve to stay in, but who makes way if Boyd is fit? You can't play 23.

soupman
07-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Not a fan of the calls to drop Cordy for an underdone Stringer or a running player like Macrae. Playing Cordy benefits us twofold, it assists Cordy's development and lets us know if he can improve and make it, and it means our forwardline develops in a structure tthat contains two talls. Otherwise we will be fielding a newer version of our 2008 style midget forwardline, especially when Jones has to go into the ruck.

EasternWest
07-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Stevens does deserve to stay in, but who makes way if Boyd is fit? You can't play 23.

There's a few I'd have out first.

Higgins, Higgins, Higgins, Dickson, Gia, Smith, Higgins.

I'm about done with Higgins. He's a frontrunner.

soupman
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM

Smith based on form this season.

EasternWest
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I can't agree with you on that gogriff. Roughead looks every bit a 200 game full back and I wouldn't be keen to interupt that at the moment.

Yep. He looks like a natural. I was skeptical, but he looks the goods.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Yep. He looks like a natural. I was skeptical, but he looks the goods.

Let's hear it for the Shepard on Pav! Not only did he see it going to happen but he was quick enough to react.
That's Jordan kicking a goal, right there. One goal saved is one you don't have to kick at the other end.

lemmon
07-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Could Campbell be any worse on the forward line than Cordy is?

SlimPickens
07-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Anyone else see MacRae, Tutt, Campbell, Marko and Wood going through some drills at Etihad post match.
Possibly the next blokes in line.

Personally I would go in unchanged.

If Boyd is ready to go, then one of Smith, Cross or Stevens to miss.

Eastdog
07-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Anyone else see MacRae, Tutt, Campbell, Marko and Wood going through some drills at Etihad post match.
Possibly the next blokes in line.

Probably not Stevens who was pretty good yesterday. I would say between Smith and Cross but Cross very rarely gets dropped.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Could Campbell be any worse on the forward line than Cordy is?

With this coach, if players improve steadily according to his estimation of their schedule, the odd match day fail doesn't register.

Between hiring Cam Mooney, Brad Johnson and Ben Graham, you would expect his finishing is anon-negotiable improvement we would want to see. Part of it is tiredness in the legs I guess, but from less than 30m out it's very frustrating to watch balls going wayward, particularly when so much effort has gone into the play down the ground.

I'll put it out there, that Ayce has the potential to be a future leader of this club. Perhaps not captain, but someone people will trust to stand up when it counts. And if you think that's a big call, look how many posters wanted Minson gone a few seasons ago.

Big blokes just take more time.

AndrewP6
07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
All the calls for Cordy and then calling for Jones to backup in the Ruck I don't understand. Cordy will go if Campbell comes in or a lesser extent Williams to pinch hit ruck duties. Jones has to learn his craft as a forward and is having enough difficulty with that.

I don't see many changes. It was a real hot day out there yesterday and it would have been pretty taxing on a few of them. Could be a General Soreness somewhere next week.

26 degrees? That's not real hot, it was a great day for footy.

The Underdog
07-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Boyd in for Smith if he's available. We'd need to drop an inside mid if Boyd comes back in and while he's been ok Smith has performed slightly under Libba, Wallis, Stevens etc. I'd leave the rest for one more week. I think Cordy & Jones need a decent run to prove themselves or otherwise, plus I don't see anyone outside of the team who makes us better at the moment. Macrae might be a chance but would nice if his ball use was a bit surer before he gets his shot.

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Boyd in for Smith if he's available. We'd need to drop an inside mid if Boyd comes back in and while he's been ok Smith has performed slightly under Libba, Wallis, Stevens etc. I'd leave the rest for one more week. I think Cordy & Jones need a decent run to prove themselves or otherwise, plus I don't see anyone outside of the team who makes us better at the moment. Macrae might be a chance but would nice if his ball use was a bit surer before he gets his shot.

Yep, my only change would be Smith for Boyd. I'm a fan of Clay but he looked least comfortable of the tough mid group.

Need to stick to the plan, the two games we have played have been polar opposites, the pressure on our guys yesterday was enormous. The tigers are a middle of the road team, lets see how we go against them before making any changes.

Eastdog
07-04-2013, 01:05 PM

I'd say Smith as well for Boyd if he is ready that is. I don't want us to rush him back in.

F'scary
07-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Out: Cordy
In: Hrovat.

boydogs
07-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Not a fan of the calls to drop Cordy for an underdone Stringer or a running player like Macrae. Playing Cordy benefits us twofold, it assists Cordy's development and lets us know if he can improve and make it, and it means our forwardline develops in a structure tthat contains two talls. Otherwise we will be fielding a newer version of our 2008 style midget forwardline, especially when Jones has to go into the ruck.

I see Stringer as our long term full forward, with Jones at CHF. He has had long enough now to recover from his ankle sprain, he was back playing for Willy last week.

EasternWest
07-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Full James Cuming ;).

Ghost Dog
07-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Yep, my only change would be Smith for Boyd. I'm a fan of Clay but he looked least comfortable of the tough mid group.

Need to stick to the plan, the two games we have played have been polar opposites, the pressure on our guys yesterday was enormous. The tigers are a middle of the road team, lets see how we go against them before making any changes.

Their midfield is as good as the Dockers. But we were outdone tactically yesterday. I wouldn't put it past Brendan to be quietly glad we lost that game, in order to learn a good lesson.

SlimPickens
07-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't put it past Brendan to be quietly glad we lost that game, in order to learn a good lesson.

To steal a phrase from John McEnroe.... You cannot be serious!

AndrewP6
07-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Their midfield is as good as the Dockers. But we were outdone tactically yesterday. I wouldn't put it past Brendan to be quietly glad we lost that game, in order to learn a good lesson.

Himself or the team? The minute you're glad to have lost, is the minute you should hand your resignation.

G-Mo77
07-04-2013, 05:42 PM
26 degrees? That's not real hot, it was a great day for footy.

22 is hot playing footy. In that sun it felt like 30+ I lost about 2 kgs of sweat in the last quarter.

AndrewP6
07-04-2013, 05:44 PM
22 is hot playing footy. In that sun it felt like 30+ I lost about 2 kgs of sweat in the last quarter.

I'm going to assume you're joking. It was great weather, in and out of the sun.

Maddog37
07-04-2013, 05:48 PM

That was very hot for footy. Freo would have enjoyed it.

G-Mo77
07-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Playing in the sun is pretty taxing, 22 and sunny while out on the ground running can sap you pretty quickly yesterday was much hotter. I'm exaggerating on the 2kgs lost but it was bloody hot late in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Even some of the Freo boys who are used to hotter weather looked very tired in the 4th.

AndrewP6
07-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Playing in the sun is pretty taxing, 22 and sunny while out on the ground running can sap you pretty quickly yesterday was much hotter. I'm exaggerating on the 2kgs lost but it was bloody hot late in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Even some of the Freo boys who are used to hotter weather looked very tired in the 4th.

That was very hot for footy. Freo would have enjoyed it.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. I think professional athletes with enormous resources at their disposal to hone their physical condition, should have no trouble playing in moderately warm conditions.

G-Mo77
07-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Fair enough, agree to disagree. I think professional athletes with enormous resources at their disposal to hone their physical condition, should have no trouble playing in moderately warm conditions.

Don't doubt that at all but your idea of a nice sunny day is like a 35+ degrees running around on the field. Recovery may take a little longer for some who did a lot of work so it wouldn't surprise me if someone had a breather.

The Pie Man
07-04-2013, 07:10 PM
With this coach, if players improve steadily according to his estimation of their schedule, the odd match day fail doesn't register.

Between hiring Cam Mooney, Brad Johnson and Ben Graham, you would expect his finishing is anon-negotiable improvement we would want to see. Part of it is tiredness in the legs I guess, but from less than 30m out it's very frustrating to watch balls going wayward, particularly when so much effort has gone into the play down the ground.

I'll put it out there, that Ayce has the potential to be a future leader of this club. Perhaps not captain, but someone people will trust to stand up when it counts. And if you think that's a big call, look how many posters wanted Minson gone a few seasons ago.

Big blokes just take more time.

Keep hearing this, and I think most footy fans would share this view.

Here's the thing with Ayce - he's 4 months off being 23. Is he not a man now?

Enough of the development lines..if he can't contribute (and for the first 2 1/2 quarters he was just awful) then he shouldn't be playing. Play Campbell if we absolutely must play 2 ruckmen.

Still can't believe we gave Cordy 3 years, just baffling

Mofra
07-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Keep hearing this, and I think most footy fans would share this view.

Here's the thing with Ayce - he's 4 months off being 23. Is he not a man now?

Enough of the development lines..if he can't contribute (and for the first 2 1/2 quarters he was just awful) then he shouldn't be playing. Play Campbell if we absolutely must play 2 ruckmen.

Still can't believe we gave Cordy 3 years, just baffling
How many ruck/forwards were dominating in game 15?

mjp
07-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I have to admit to not understanding much of the Cordy love that followed the Lions game, but rest assured everyone seems to have lost the faith following the Fremantle game. (You could also insert the name Giansiracusa in place of Cordy in that previous statement.)

I don't mean to state the obvious but the Dockers are just better than us at the moment and their defensive structures made Josh Kennedy look pretty inept for large periods of the week one game - as for Josh Hill, well, he couldn't get near it. I think everyone will happily acknowledge Kennedy is a good forward.

Yes - the individuals in question need to play better, but to suggest that he (they) have no future just one week after he (they) contributed pretty well is crazy talk. There is still an article on the homepage with a heading that reads something like 'McCartney praises Cordy' at the moment.

We need Boyd to come in - but that creates a bit of an issue as we already have too many inside players. We actually already need to add a Tutt or Macrae to the mix...which means we already needed to 'lose' an inside mid...which means we now need to lose TWO.

Now - Cross played HB against Richmond a few weeks back - is there a chance that might happen again? If so, well, we have some flexibility and we could look to leave out any of a number of players - if he is strictly a mid well, Higgins probably has to be left out. That's it for me. Smith out, Boyd in. Higgins out, Macrae in.

We simply need more run - winning the clearances is fine but we need more outside run.

F'scary
07-04-2013, 08:26 PM
I have to admit to not understanding much of the Cordy love that followed the Lions game, but rest assured everyone seems to have lost the faith following the Fremantle game. (You could also insert the name Giansiracusa in place of Cordy in that previous statement.)

Let me say that I absolutely never got on the Cordy bandwagon after last week. Likewise Gia. Therefore, agree. Drop Cordy. Drop Gia. Bring in Stringer at FF.

Smith out, Boyd in. I would play Smith in Gia's spot against Crapmond.

Higgins out, Macrae in.

Yes, agree. Let's go with an outside runner, as opposed to a front runner.

Beast
07-04-2013, 08:40 PM
I'd really like to see Easton Wood back in the team. However, the backs at the moment seem to be working quite well. JJ is fast and has creative flair and should keep playing. Young is solid and has poise under pressure. Perhaps it's a crazy notion, but if fit, is it possible to introduce Wood into the froward line replacing either Jones or Cordy? Wood is a good mark, pretty fast, has good endurance, provides a contest, and doesn't mind tackling. His main problem is erratic disposal under pressure which is critical in the back half but is perhaps less of a problem up forward. Ultimately, I'd like to see Williams in the forward line too. I like Jones and Cordy but neither of them have quite clicked yet.

The Pie Man
07-04-2013, 09:10 PM
How many ruck/forwards were dominating in game 15?

Not many, but that's not my expectation.

He played ok last week...not dominant, but he contributed. If he can produce a similar output in more games than not then he is worth the spot. Yesterday was sadly like many of his games from last season, which isn't up to standard.

always right
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
I'd really like to see Easton Wood back in the team. However, the backs at the moment seem to be working quite well. JJ is fast and has creative flair and should keep playing. Young is solid and has poise under pressure. Perhaps it's a crazy notion, but if fit, is it possible to introduce Wood into the froward line replacing either Jones or Cordy? Wood is a good mark, pretty fast, has good endurance, provides a contest, and doesn't mind tackling. His main problem is erratic disposal under pressure which is critical in the back half but is perhaps less of a problem up forward. Ultimately, I'd like to see Williams in the forward line too. I like Jones and Cordy but neither of them have quite clicked yet.

Collingwood have moved Harry to the wing. Any reason why we can't do the same with Wood?

Ghost Dog
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM

Hey Beast. Dig your Avatar by the way.
Nice left field suggestion. Not a bad idea. No worries on the actual distance Wood can boot the thing. Goes for miles! often to an opposition player ahem...never mind, but that won't be a problem kicking for goal will it?:D

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2013, 09:41 PM
My confidence in Wood in defense is low. He has some quality traits but he's often out of position and/or jumps too early in a contest whilst his man stays on the ground. To be honest, I think the perception of Wood being a good defender is on the back of that game in the wet v Adelaide a few years back when he touched up Tippet a few times, and the Collingwood game last year.

I'd like to see Wood moved further up the ground, although he may not have the foot skills/decision making for midfield.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-04-2013, 10:04 PM

You can hardly blame the coach when you had a forward line that was so inept .The only positive was Dahlhaus with little other support.

Beast
07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Hey Beast. Dig your Avatar by the way.
Nice left field suggestion. Not a bad idea. No worries on the actual distance Wood can boot the thing. Goes for miles! often to an opposition player ahem...never mind, but that won't be a problem kicking for goal will it?:D
Despite his flaws, Wood has more physical presence than either Cordy or Jones and is an uberdwarf compared to Dixon, Gia, Higgins, and Dahlhaus.

btw - the avatar is a clip from an old disgraceful painting in my living room.

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 10:06 PM
In: Boyd
Out: Smith

Greystache
07-04-2013, 10:12 PM
My confidence in Wood in defense is low. He has some quality traits but he's often out of position and/or jumps too early in a contest whilst his man stays on the ground. To be honest, I think the perception of Wood being a good defender is on the back of that game in the wet v Adelaide a few years back when he touched up Tippet a few times, and the Collingwood game last year.

I'd like to see Wood moved further up the ground, although he may not have the foot skills/decision making for midfield.

He's also continually struggled to find much of the ball through out his career. He doesn't strike me as a player who can rack up decent possession numbers through the midfield.

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Macrae in for Higgins (wont happen, but i want it to)
I would be tempted to bring in Campbell for Cordy also.
Boyd in for Smith if he is ready.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
He's also continually struggled to find much of the ball through out his career. He doesn't strike me as a player who can rack up decent possession numbers through the midfield.

Wood makes too many mistakes as a defender and with his pace looks better suited to playing as a winger. I agree that he doesn't win enough possessions. I would say that Goodes Young Lower and Stevens have all been better inclusions.

jeemak
08-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Didn't watch the game, haven's seen a replay either. Shame, as I didn't want to miss out on all the fun!

Are people really suggesting Higgins, who was one of (if not) the best afield last week should be dropped after one poor game against a side that is coached by someone who's strategy has the biggest affect on his type?

Aside from that, why would one ordinary performance backing up an excellent performance from the team get in the way of player development and long term strategy? Cordy's the second ruck and forward pocket of our side's future, why ditch that plan in round two when he's sitting on one game where he contributed effectively, and one where he didn't?

boydogs
08-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Aside from that, why would one ordinary performance backing up an excellent performance from the team get in the way of player development and long term strategy? Cordy's the second ruck and forward pocket of our side's future, why ditch that plan in round two when he's sitting on one game where he contributed effectively, and one where he didn't?

He wasn't that good in round 1, just better than he has produced so far which is why people were pleased. He needs to play to his best every week to keep his spot, he is not far enough along that he can afford to have a bad game

Greystache
08-04-2013, 01:54 AM
Are people really suggesting Higgins, who was one of (if not) the best afield last week should be dropped after one poor game against a side that is coached by someone who's strategy has the biggest affect on his type?

Poor performance I think people can handle so long as it's not on going, I think the issue people had with Higgins on the weekend was he was having no impact offensively yet still wouldn't make the effort to control the things he can control- ie work rate and defensive pressure. I wouldn't omit him but it wasn't just a matter of him not having a good day.

His game in round 1 was excellent compared to what he'd down previously, but realistically he played a good first half and a poor second half. If you break down the 2 games into halves, Cordy's had 1 good half and 3 poor one's. Again I'm not inclined to drop him but he shouldn't just be gifted games because we need his type, he has to offer the team something.

The Underdog
08-04-2013, 08:50 AM
His game in round 1 was excellent compared to what he'd down previously, but realistically he played a good first half and a poor second half. If you break down the 2 games into halves, Cordy's had 1 good half and 3 poor one's. Again I'm not inclined to drop him but he shouldn't just be gifted games because we need his type, he has to offer the team something.

I agree with all of this, but also think we've committed to inexperienced guys in certain roles. I think they need to be given 5-6 weeks to show some development/improvement in those roles. If there isn't any by then, we try different guys in those roles. I think a fit Tom Williams gives us the flexibility play the role Cordy is playing so hopefully he can get on the park in the next 2 or 3 weeks and not break down again.

Bulldog Revolution
08-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Id be inclined to leave the team basically as is given the VFL side didnt play

However, If they wanted to debut Macrae this could be a perfect opportunity though as he'll be fresh after no game

My suspicion is that Boyd wont come up this week

But i'd resist calls to drop forwards - very tough conditions against a very good team.

The Underdog
08-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Id be inclined to leave the team basically as is given the VFL side didnt play

However, If they wanted to debut Macrae this could be a perfect opportunity though as he'll be fresh after no game

My suspicion is that Boyd wont come up this week

But i'd resist calls to drop forwards - very tough conditions against a very good team.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we went Macrae in for Smith assuming Boyd isn't available. I like Smith a lot and think he's a long term part of our team but he looked a little out of sorts last week.

Mantis
08-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Poor performance I think people can handle so long as it's not on going, I think the issue people had with Higgins on the weekend was he was having no impact offensively yet still wouldn't make the effort to control the things he can control- ie work rate and defensive pressure. I wouldn't omit him but it wasn't just a matter of him not having a good day.

He (Higgins) doesn't know the meaning of the word.

During the 2nd quarter, as Freo gathered the ball off half back he was running beside Fyfe. At this point I said to my mate ( a neutral who loves his footy) keep an eye on Higgins-Fyfe. As the ball came down field Higgins slowly drifted away from his man... who is almost Freo's most damaging player. By the time the ball was kicked towards Fyfe, Higgins was a good 15m away and Fyfe flew for the mark un-opposed... He dropped the mark and ball spilled away, so no harm done.... just to those who watched that piece of play who lost further respect for Higgins who continues to play the game on his terms.

Ozza
08-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Don't doubt that at all but your idea of a nice sunny day is like a 35+ degrees running around on the field. Recovery may take a little longer for some who did a lot of work so it wouldn't surprise me if someone had a breather.

Definitely agree G-Mo.....26 degrees is bloody sweltering when you're playing football.

Ozza
08-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Agree with this.

Personally - I'd be very keen for Stevens to stay in the side. Happy with Smith or Cross to make way for Boyd if available.

always right
08-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Agree with this.

Personally - I'd be very keen for Stevens to stay in the side. Happy with Smith or Cross to make way for Boyd if available.

If this is based on performance, Smith has to be the one. There's been nothing wrong with Crossy's games so far and his ability to float back into defence and mark overhead shouldn't be underestimated against the tigers.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-04-2013, 11:37 AM
For this round and the next three at least we make minimal changes. Thereafter we need a policy of turning players over so all have a chance to prove themselves. Any senior player that is carrying something that would improve with a rest gets one. We experiment with positional and tactical changes to get the best out of our future five years. Development is more important than wins. This side will not win a premiership without improvement in the onfield personnel. Our best hope for the three or so stars we need is in the next draft and the aforementioned development. This is the lay of the land, the uneven playing field of which we have been ongoing victims for sixty years. Robert Murphies do not grow on trees unless they are grafted, I mean drafted.

G-Mo77
08-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Definitely agree G-Mo.....26 degrees is bloody sweltering when you're playing football.

I played in 38 degrees in a practice match once. I don't miss the early season hot games at all, don't miss the pain on a Sunday morning either. ;)

Ozza
08-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I played in 38 degrees in a practice match once. I don't miss the early season hot games at all, don't miss the pain on a Sunday morning either. ;)

That and the grounds are usually pretty hard in the early rounds. Always plenty of sore boys in the pre-season and early rounds.

Finals can be particularly exhausting too. Not only does the temperature get up there in late August/September...but the intensity goes up too obviously.

bornadog
08-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I was in the social club on Saturday and Boyd said he was hopeful of playing next week but that would be determined by the club doctors this morning.

G-Mo77
08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
I was in the social club on Saturday and Boyd said he was hopeful of playing next week but that would be determined by the club doctors this morning.

I think I heard that as well. They need to turn those speakers up in there.

My thoughts on baby cow injuries is to give it an extra week not a week less. I personally don't think he'll play on Sunday.

bornadog
08-04-2013, 01:32 PM
He (Higgins) doesn't know the meaning of the word.

During the 2nd quarter, as Freo gathered the ball off half back he was running beside Fyfe. At this point I said to my mate ( a neutral who loves his footy) keep an eye on Higgins-Fyfe. As the ball came down field Higgins slowly drifted away from his man... who is almost Freo's most damaging player. By the time the ball was kicked towards Fyfe, Higgins was a good 15m away and Fyfe flew for the mark un-opposed... He dropped the mark and ball spilled away, so no harm done.... just to those who watched that piece of play who lost further respect for Higgins who continues to play the game on his terms.

Yet he laid 6 tackles, second only to Libba (11)

Mantis
08-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Yet he laid 6 tackles, second only to Libba (11)

He is a strong tackler when the ball is in his immediate area, but his ability to track or chase opponents is embarrassingily bad.

bornadog
08-04-2013, 02:10 PM
He is a strong tackler when the ball is in his immediate area, but his ability to track or chase opponents is embarrassingily bad.

I am sure if Macca thinks its an issue, he will deal with it.

Rocco Jones
08-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Some interesting calls to be made over the season.

Last week I mentioned that Ayce and Jones were pretty ordinary but looked a lot better than last year due to their team mates (and opposition). This week was back to what we saw from the pair last year.

Not having a go at the pair, I am patient with them etc, just that don't offer enough to be playing regular senior footy.

Thing is, I think footy has moved back to needing a tall guy up forward who can simply at least offer a contest, the spot Jones has. You also need a 2nd ruck, the spot Ayce has. In the Plough/Eade days, we'd drop one of them for sure and replace them with a small who is simply a superior player.

I love Stringer but I think it would be short sighted to go with him as our main forward KP. Would absolutely love to have a fit Williams up forward, meaning Ayce/Jones could battle it out for the 2nd ruck spot. I've said a few times that I think the role could be a good way for Jones to get into the game a bit more.

I am not as anti Higgins and Gia as some here but is it a given that they will be virtual non-contributors when up against the top 4 or so teams in the comp? Short term I seem them as best 22 players but I really don't think they are the type who offer us anything more than beating on sides outside the 8.

I'd rather Clay have a go up forward in place of one of them. It's not like they offer pace. They aren't even genuine crumbers. I'd say they are the type who 'steal' goals through their brains but need space. Top sides suffocate the pair. At least Clay has something that will always reap reward, hard work, physical pressure etc.

always right
08-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Some interesting calls to be made over the season.

Last week I mentioned that Ayce and Jones were pretty ordinary but looked a lot better than last year due to their team mates (and opposition). This week was back to what we saw from the pair last year.

Not having a go at the pair, I am patient with them etc, just that don't offer enough to be playing regular senior footy.

Thing is, I think footy has moved back to needing a tall guy up forward who can simply at least offer a contest, the spot Jones has. You also need a 2nd ruck, the spot Ayce has. In the Plough/Eade days, we'd drop one of them for sure and replace them with a small who is simply a superior player.

I love Stringer but I think it would be short sighted to go with him as our main forward KP. Would absolutely love to have a fit Williams up forward, meaning Ayce/Jones could battle it out for the 2nd ruck spot. I've said a few times that I think the role could be a good way for Jones to get into the game a bit more.

I am not as anti Higgins and Gia as some here but is it a given that they will be virtual non-contributors when up against the top 4 or so teams in the comp? Short term I seem them as best 22 players but I really don't think they are the type who offer us anything more than beating on sides outside the 8.

I'd rather Clay have a go up forward in place of one of them. It's not like they offer pace. They aren't even genuine crumbers. I'd say they are the type who 'steal' goals through their brains but need space. Top sides suffocate the pair. At least Clay has something that will always reap reward, hard work, physical pressure etc.

The one thing Gia and Higgins do have however are kicking skills....and that isn't Smith's strong suit. We need the right balance of hardnuts who are willing to chase and defend as well as blokes who can deliver the ball particularly when our key forwards are not clunking any marks.

Maddog37
08-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't want to bring anyone in (apart from Boyd maybe) that has not had a couple of games in the twos and has also shown good form hence deserving of a game.

KT31
08-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Only change I would be looking at is Boyd for Smith.

bornadog
08-04-2013, 06:14 PM
SAM LANDSBERGER’S FORECAST:

The Dogs beat Fremantle in disposals, contested possessions and conceded just one fewer inside-50 against the Dockers and were made to pay for their slow start out of the blocks. They now prepare for the undefeated Tigers in Daniel Cross’s 200th match. Expect Nick Lower to tag Trent Cotchin, but there is likely to be little change at the selection table, save for Easton Wood’s likely inclusion.

Cyberdoggie
08-04-2013, 06:27 PM
No way I'd want Stevens out, 12 or so touches from a bit over a quarter.

Think there will be no change, but we have a hard call coming up - Gia, Higgins & Dickson can't all play in the forward 6. Something has to give - noticed Smith & Cross playing forward, Stevcens may rotate forward as well when Boyd comes back and we make the hard call on our three slowish small/mid forwards.

I'll second that.

Lack of defensive chase from Gia, Higgins, Jones and Cordy made it easy for Freo to hit up targets from defence.

I don't think we should make any changes yet as it would be unfair for those in the side and even on those who had the bye in the VFL.

Yet someone will have to make way for Boyd.

My head tells me the coach will drop Smith or Stevens, but my heart says Higgins or Gia should make way.

(I totally understand that no forward dominated against Freo and it was very difficult to get into the game, but a non-negiotable is that our forwards chase and apply pressure. Higgins was the worst at this for me, I watched him the last quarter just let his man or the nearest one just run off without him even stepping up in acceleration at all. Then he would stop and put his hands on his hips. Not good enough for me.)

Hotdog60
08-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I'll second that.

Lack of defensive chase from Gia, Higgins, Jones and Cordy made it easy for Freo to hit up targets from defence.

I don't think we should make any changes yet as it would be unfair for those in the side and even on those who had the bye in the VFL.

Yet someone will have to make way for Boyd.

My head tells me the coach will drop Smith or Stevens, but my heart says Higgins or Gia should make way.

(I totally understand that no forward dominated against Freo and it was very difficult to get into the game, but a non-negiotable is that our forwards chase and apply pressure. Higgins was the worst at this for me, I watched him the last quarter just let his man or the nearest one just run off without him even stepping up in acceleration at all. Then he would stop and put his hands on his hips. Not good enough for me.)

Was it Higgins that had OP or some sort of groin complaint a couple of years ago that said it needed to be managed?
I wonder if he's carrying something again. It might simply be a case of the man is just as injury prone as Williams.
I thnk if Boyd is right I would put him in Higgins spot, I think Boyd would be better suited on the half-forward flank so when he is drilling those kicks it's at the goals.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Was it Higgins that had OP or some sort of groin complaint a couple of years ago that said it needed to be managed?
I wonder if he's carrying something again. It might simply be a case of the man is just as injury prone as Williams.
I thnk if Boyd is right I would put him in Higgins spot, I think Boyd would be better suited on the half-forward flank so when he is drilling those kicks it's at the goals.

Anyway, The coach loves Missy, and I doubt he'll be dropped. I'm guessing it will be Clay Smith for Boyd.

Hot Dog, does Body have the speed to lock the ball inside 50? If not, I can't honestly see much of a difference in that trade of positions.

always right
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Unfortunately Boyd is also one of the worst shots for goal in our side.

Hotdog60
08-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Is it that we are all seeking that elusive key forward who is going to kick us over the line?
We want to see that in Shaun, but Angus Monfries is a good comparison. That's ok.

In his short time with the club, you could say Luke Dahlhaus has exceeded Shaun's achievements. It's a bit unfair to compare, but when Luke has it in his hands, I always think we're a chance. He has great goal sense.

Even from straight on, I always have doubts Shaun will finish. Luke - number 1 in the league for inside 50 pressure acts. Shaun, still not able to run out an entire game - maybe injuries.

Anyway, The coach loves Missy, and I doubt he'll be dropped. I'm guessing it will be Clay Smith for Boyd.

Hot Dog, does Body have the speed to lock the ball inside 50? If not, I can't honestly see much of a difference in that trade of positions. But I like that you're thinking outside of the box.

I would say he is a little bit quicker than Higgins, break even on the tackling but better endurance. I think we have enough inside mids in the centre and he can go in the centre when needed. The Captain has done some useful things around half forward in the past and I like the idea of Smith and Stevens in the side.

Unfortunately Boyd is also one of the worst shots for goal in our side.

Would it be better for him to pin point a pass to the goal umpire and miss him a metre either side or to pin point a pass out of the centre to a forward with the same result.;)

Ghost Dog
08-04-2013, 10:31 PM
I would say he is a little bit quicker than Higgins, break even on the tackling but better endurance. I think we have enough inside mids in the centre and he can go in the centre when needed. The Captain has done some useful things around half forward in the past and I like the idea of Smith and Stevens in the side.

Last week, Freo's half back line was given acreage to run the ball and time to kick out of our defensive half.

Just not enough speed and applied pressure or blokes that can read the play, coming out of half back. If you press that high, as in 1Qtr, you need some overlap, with blokes who can put some pressure on the second kick.

If you go with a smallish forward line, you at least need a bit of speed as a trade off. Gia, Missy, Dickson -not happening.

always right
08-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Is this the week to play Picken forward against Deledio?

BornInDroopSt'54
08-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Is this the week to play Picken forward against Deledio?

I always connect Deledio with Griffen. If we had to stop Griffen, I would want Picken on him. Hopefully he can bag a few as well.

ReLoad
08-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Was behind Boyd and Howard when they were walking up to the social club before the game, Boyd still have a very pronounced limp.

Either one of the Freo supporters mugged him, or he is clearly not ready to return.

I wouldn't drop either Smith or Stevens, they were far from our worst on the weekend, Smith needs a consistent run of games, he is fanatical at the footy, just need to use him correctly (i.e inside not outside)

Stevens was great when he came on, he ran very hard and presented well.

I have a very interesting one, with Libba coming on so well, where does cross fit in the team, im not sure how many centre bounces he took, but he certainly wasn't as prolific as previous years as our main inside clearance man.

if i was looking at injecting some pace and spread ability, i would look at him as a potential out.

(that is taking nothing away from his amazing endurance, the last goal he kicked was from a Herculean run which I seriously doubt anyone in our club could have matched)

So IF Boyd was to be ready, I would probably look at Cross as the out for team balance only, not for his performance on the weekend.

KT31
09-04-2013, 12:22 AM

Hot Dog, does Body have the speed to lock the ball inside 50? If not, I can't honestly see much of a difference in that trade of positions.

Not sure is its the coach or the remainder of the selection committee, they have an invested interest in the time they have spent on Missy.
IMO, at this stage in his career, not the sort of player BMac would be backing.

AndrewP6
09-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Not sure is its the coach or the remainder of the selection committee, they have an invested interest in the time they have spent on Missy.
IMO, at this stage in his career, not the sort of player BMac would be backing.

Monty's the only assistant coach who isn't new. German and Maple have been there, but in development roles.

KT31
09-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Monty's the only assistant coach who isn't new. German and Maple have been there, but in development roles.

Then it comes down to bo one better on the list,
Missy, IMO from all expectations , has not lived up to potential and would not be the player BMac would be backing unless he had no other choice.;

immortalmike
09-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Then it comes down to bo one better on the list,
Missy, IMO from all expectations , has not lived up to potential and would not be the player BMac would be backing unless he had no other choice.;

But he does back him. He backed him enough to give him a leadership role last year. He backed him enough to single out his pre-season in interviews. I'm starting to sense some Gia derangement syndrome all over again. Fact is Higgins was poor against Freo but at least he used the ball well when he got it and laid 6 tackles. Face it the guy will never be a superstar but he can and will most likely become a very good player in the Gia mould.

always right
09-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Was behind Boyd and Howard when they were walking up to the social club before the game, Boyd still have a very pronounced limp.

Either one of the Freo supporters mugged him, or he is clearly not ready to return.

I wouldn't drop either Smith or Stevens, they were far from our worst on the weekend, Smith needs a consistent run of games, he is fanatical at the footy, just need to use him correctly (i.e inside not outside)

Stevens was great when he came on, he ran very hard and presented well.

I have a very interesting one, with Libba coming on so well, where does cross fit in the team, im not sure how many centre bounces he took, but he certainly wasn't as prolific as previous years as our main inside clearance man.

if i was looking at injecting some pace and spread ability, i would look at him as a potential out.

(that is taking nothing away from his amazing endurance, the last goal he kicked was from a Herculean run which I seriously doubt anyone in our club could have matched)

So IF Boyd was to be ready, I would probably look at Cross as the out for team balance only, not for his performance on the weekend.

I'm not sure he has ever been one of our main clearance players in the middle. Certainly in recent years he has regularly come off the wing and been relied upon for his coverage up and down the ground rather than at centre bounces.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-04-2013, 09:12 AM

I think the best that Wood has played was 3 to 4 years ago when he just got the ball and was used a link player he was quick but we also had Harbrow and Shaggy down back so he was playing on the 5 or 6 best forward

I like the idea of him up on the wing and think we should consider going back to a small mobile forward line. This would look like Higgins, Jones, Smith, Dollhouse, Murphy, Pickens. Lets get a few wins up and make the talks earn a spot. We have plenty of smalls busting for the club and should be rewarded.

You can only give so many walk up starts before its time to be made to earn you spot

Mantis
09-04-2013, 09:26 AM

No doubt, but how many inside mids can we play?

The only way that Smith stays in is if he starts as the sub or another inside mid does... From what I saw on Saturday I'm not classifying Stevens in this category.

lemmon
09-04-2013, 09:33 AM
No doubt, but how many inside mids can we play?

The only way that Smith stays in is if he starts as the sub or another inside mid does... From what I saw on Saturday I'm not classifying Stevens in this category.

Fully agree with that call on Stevens. I'm not sure if it was just because he was fresh when he came on but he was one of the better spreaders from the contest, ran with the footy and showed some decent toe. He looks like he has another very good string to his bow and a point of difference to the majority of our mids

stefoid
09-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah we desperately need guys like Stevens and Higgins to help with spread and footskills.

Our midfield has a totally different complexion this year with Higgins and Conney fit and the inclusion of Lower and Stevens.

Rocco Jones
09-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Club says Boyd out for another week.

I'd go with nO changes other than Smith being the sub.

G-Mo77
09-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Would they rush Williams back now that he's got the all clear?

Mantis
09-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Would they rush Williams back now that he's got the all clear?

Having missed all pre-season games he would need at least 1 or 2 games to regain touch wouldn't he?

I'm a little concerned about the Vickery match-up if Roughead goes to Riewoldt so someone of Williams height would be handy.

G-Mo77
09-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Having missed all pre-season games he would need at least 1 or 2 games to regain touch wouldn't he?

I'm a little concerned about the Vickery match-up if Roughead goes to Riewoldt so someone of Williams height would be handy.

In the practice match a couple of weeks ago Morris took Riewoldt, Roughead took Vickery.

always right
09-04-2013, 10:35 AM
There is absolutely no need to rush players in to the side who have had zero match time. With Tom's injury history I'm sure he will be eased back into it via Williamstown for two weeks minimum. His form will then have to warrant inclusion in the seniors.

I hope he gets up to speed quickly as he could be the missing element in our forwardline and I know Macca was keen to play him there this year.

lemmon
09-04-2013, 11:03 AM
In the practice match a couple of weeks ago Morris took Riewoldt, Roughead took Vickery.

Yeah I don't mind Rough to Vickery, Morris to Riewoldt and Young to Mcguane

SlimPickens
09-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Morris also gave Jack a fair hiding that day, so I'd expect that would be the way they line up. Morris on Riewoldt, Roughead on Vickery.

Rocco Jones
09-04-2013, 11:16 AM

Highlights just how valuable Morris is. His incredible flexibility as a defender allows his team mates to find more suitable match ups. Love him.

Greystache
09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Yeah I don't mind Rough to Vickery, Morris to Riewoldt and Young to Mcguane

Yep, I like that set up. We need to find a Morris replacement, hopefully Talia can be that, because Roughead's height might need to be used occasionally on the taller but less dangerous key forward like Vickery.

bornadog
09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Yep, I like that set up. We need to find a Morris replacement, hopefully Talia can be that, because Roughead's height might need to be used occasionally on the taller but less dangerous key forward like Vickery.

Can Young be the replacement? Both about the same height.

The other thing Riewoldt stages for a lot of frees and I believe he got 3 or 4 from frees on the weekend. Morris will have to be careful, he is a slippery customer.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2013, 02:56 PM
I agree with Talia, I think he is coming on nicely.

jeemak
09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
But he does back him. He backed him enough to give him a leadership role last year. He backed him enough to single out his pre-season in interviews. I'm starting to sense some Gia derangement syndrome all over again. Fact is Higgins was poor against Freo but at least he used the ball well when he got it and laid 6 tackles. Face it the guy will never be a superstar but he can and will most likely become a very good player in the Gia mould.

Some of that seems to come through in a lot of posts. Like Gia, people tend to harp on his deficiencies so much more than they do on those of other players.

There's a perceived lack of effort in chasing from Higgins, and from what I could gather all his good tackling work on the weekend was done on the inside.

Makes you wonder though, what many of the other players around the ground were doing and why they didn't even hit six tackles if they all chase harder (and work just as hard on the inside as well) than Higgins who is repeatedly singled out in this area.

Anyway, not having seen the game it's hard for me comment any further!

Agree with Morris to Riewoldt and Roughead to Vickery. It makes perfect sense.

I'd also be disappointed if they play Williams off such a limited preparation.

lemmon
09-04-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree with Talia, I think he is coming on nicely.

Not sure about his tan though! Saw him wandering outside Etihad on Saturday and he is one orange bloke

bornadog
09-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Some of that seems to come through in a lot of posts. Like Gia, people tend to harp on his deficiencies so much more than they do on those of other players.

There's a perceived lack of effort in chasing from Higgins, and from what I could gather all his good tackling work on the weekend was done on the inside.

Makes you wonder though, what many of the other players around the ground were doing and why they didn't even hit six tackles if they all chase harder (and work just as hard on the inside as well) than Higgins who is repeatedly singled out in this area.

Anyway, not having seen the game it's hard for me comment any further!

Agree with Morris to Riewoldt and Roughead to Vickery. It makes perfect sense.

I'd also be disappointed if they play Williams off such a limited preparation.

Not wrong there Jeemak, Bob Murphy with only 1 but not a word said.

Here is the list.

Tom Libba 11
Shaun Higgins 6
Ryan Griffen 5
Clay Smith 5
Luke Dahlhaus 4
Daniel Cross 3
Adam Cooney 3
Will Minson 3
Nick Lower 3
Mitchell Wallis 3
Tory Dickson 3
Bret Goodes 3
Liam Picken 2
Daniel Giansiracusa 1
Robert Murphy 1
Dale Morris 1
Jordan Roughead 1
Koby Stevens 1
Thomas Young 1
Jason Johannisen 1
Ayce Cordy 0
Liam Jones 0

whythelongface
09-04-2013, 03:37 PM
So collectively Gia, Murphy, Jones and Cordy laid 4 tackles. Not good enough. Part of the reason that Freo had plenty of run out of their defence.

It would be interesting to see the stats on Higgins 6 tackles and where he laid them. Whether it was the time he spent in the midfield or on the forward line.

Maddog37
09-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Most telling from that chart is the bottom two. The big boys need to lay a few tackles here and there especially when they are not hitting the scoreboard.

BulldogBelle
09-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by F'scary

Full James Cuming ;).

You cheeky sausage.

It is a difficult task for the selectors to find a spot for our recruits. Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat all need to be tried.

Might have to leave out one of Higgins, Gia or Cross. The selection panel might just have to make a courageous and proactive decision.

The coach might be persevering with Cordy and Jones.

Greystache
09-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Can Young be the replacement? Both about the same height.

The other thing Riewoldt stages for a lot of frees and I believe he got 3 or 4 from frees on the weekend. Morris will have to be careful, he is a slippery customer.

I'm not sure he's that type of player. He's about the same size physically but I think Young's more of a third tall/rebounding defender, more like Hargrave, which is fine because we need that type too. We really want a physically strong player that can shutdown the slightly shorter and more athletic key forwards. I think Talia may develop into that player, plus he's a little bit more offensive than Morris. Although I doubt he could cover smalls the way Morris has.

If Young and Talia can make it as good players, with Roughead we have a very nice mix in defence. They will need plenty of matches together but their age profile is perfect.

Ghost Dog
09-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Look how essential Nick Lower suddenly became to the team?
If Lower can stop Mundy and hold Rich, then I think Cochin knows he's in for a battle.

Ghost Dog
09-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure he's that type of player. He's about the same size physically but I think Young's more of a third tall/rebounding defender, more like Hargrave, which is fine because we need that type too. We really want a physically strong player that can shutdown the slightly shorter and more athletic key forwards. I think Talia may develop into that player, plus he's a little bit more offensive than Morris. Although I doubt he could cover smalls the way Morris has.

If Young and Talia can make it as good players, with Roughead we have a very nice mix in defence. They will need plenty of matches together but their age profile is perfect.

Morris did well on Jack in the NAB. Who was on Vickery in the Nab and how did they go?

DragzLS1
09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Higgens gets wayy too much attention from our supporters! He regularly scores and is getting on the park more often. I know everybody pencils in 6 points when he's running into the 50, very good kicking skills and is important to the team. This is Gia's last full season as higgens and Dickson are our future. No changes this week bar injury. Richmond may get a suprise this weekend for Crossy's 200th ;)

Roughy took vickery for the nab, Morris to jack, picken to Martin while playing forward and lower will take cotchin again. Think we will win this week and Minson in top form compared to Maric who is having a fairly average start to the season. If only Boydy was in for his mates 200th!

G-Mo77
10-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Morris did well on Jack in the NAB. Who was on Vickery in the Nab and how did they go?

Roughead. I thought he beat Vickery pretty convincingly.

F'scary
10-04-2013, 01:54 PM
I am concerned about marking power in the forward line. Therefore:

Stringer in for either of Dickson or Gia (they had bad games against Freo). Stringer to play FF. Cordy to play FP/changing ruck. Murphy or Higgins to HFF.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2013, 06:10 PM
No change. Fremantle is a very hard team to play against and after our great win the week before all players deserve another chance to atone.

DragzLS1
11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Dont know how supporters can ask for a change to the squad for players who had 1 average game against a very good side. They all keep their spots unless injuries stops them from playing. Soreness shouldnt be an issue as they get an 8 day break

bornadog
11-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Gut feel Wood will come in, not sure who will be out (maybe JJ)

Greystache
11-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Official Squad

In- Macrae, Wood, Markovic
Out- nil

Cyberdoggie
11-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Official Squad

Out- nil

Hmm, well unless there is an injury i can't see Markovic finding a spot, Macrae the same or if they drop someone for form.

I could understand Wood's inclusion, but just not sure who would go for him, unless maybe JJ, who has been ok without either starring or failing. Lost his man a little bit last week and wasn't able to provide a lot of run and carry, but it was the Dockers.
Would be a little unfair if he was dropped.

I don't think they could make any changes to be honest.

LostDoggy
11-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I think no change but JJ was out of gas in the last quarter perhaps they will go for a more experienced hardened Wood .. no pun

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Official Squad

Out- nil

We still need to inject more pace into the team. I would be happy to play Macrae at the expense of Higgins and have Wood play on a centre wing replacing Smith.
Markovic could be a good match for Vickery allowing Roughead to move forward and omit either Cordy or Jones. There is a danger of us stagnating by continuing with Cordy and Jones.Morris would then play on Riewolt.

The Underdog
11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
We still need to inject more pace into the team. I would be happy to play Macrae at the expense of Higgins and have Wood play on a centre wing replacing Smith.
Markovic could be a good match for Vickery allowing Roughead to move forward and omit either Cordy or Jones. There is a danger of us stagnating by continuing with Cordy and Jones.Morris would then play on Riewolt.

They've just spent the week talking up Roughead at Full Back, why would they move him forward? There is a .01% chance that happens. I pray that Marko doesn't play. I'd also be disappointed if JJ goes out for Wood.

Eastdog
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Boyd then will come back I'm guessing next week away to the Crows or in Round 5 when we play the Cats at Etihad our next home game.

F'scary
11-04-2013, 10:45 PM

I like the boldness of your thinking. I think we need to do something like that.

jeemak
11-04-2013, 10:53 PM

I'm not sure putting a quick first gamer in at the expense of an experienced player who's had one excellent game and one poor game is the way to go, just to speed things up a bit.

I don't like the idea of Wood playing this week, I think some more exposed form at Williamstown is required.

Roughead should really stay back, it's where he's been pinned for development and I can't see how Markovic playing will take us forwards. Same goes with Jones and Cordy, they're earmarked long term for the duties they're performing to this point, it seems a touch silly to me to not give them some continuity doing so.

The Underdog
11-04-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure putting a quick first gamer in at the expense of an experienced player who's had one excellent game and one poor game is the way to go, just to speed things up a bit.

I don't like the idea of Wood playing this week, I think some more exposed form at Williamstown is required.

Roughead should really stay back, it's where he's been pinned for development and I can't see how Markovic playing will take us forwards. Same goes with Jones and Cordy, they're earmarked long term for the duties they're performing to this point, it seems a touch silly to me to not give them some continuity doing so.

Nah come on dude, think outside the square, let's *!*!*!*! everything we're trying to build because we lost a game where we played about to expectations.

G-Mo77
12-04-2013, 02:30 AM

Got a feeling this will happen.

Higgins, Wood, Stevens and Dahlhaus on the pine.

No idea on the sub?

always right
12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Got a feeling this will happen.

Higgins, Wood, Stevens and Dahlhaus on the pine.

No idea on the sub?

Agree.....take a look at the video of Rhan Smith announcing the team. He talks about McCrae being a possible inclusion but talks about Wood as if he is a lock for Sunday. Just a question of who goes out. The fact that Clay Smith is named in the starting line-up generally suggests he will play. The fact that JJ is named on the extended bench would suggest he will miss.

F'scary
12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Nah come on dude, think outside the square, let's *!*!*!*! everything we're trying to build because we lost a game where we played about to expectations.

You lay your sarcasm on with a cement trowel.

The Underdog
12-04-2013, 05:51 PM
You lay your sarcasm on with a cement trowel.

Fair call but it's not really a medium for subtlety. I don't understand why we'd move Roughead who has shown some fantastic signs at Full Back, and has spent a whole pre-season preparing to play there, to bring in a VFL level replacement and play Roughy in another role (forward) where he has shown only a moderate aptness.

lemmon
12-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Final side, JJ out Wood in

Axe Man
12-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Great call, this is what has happened.

Fair call but it's not really a medium for subtlety. I don't understand why we'd move Roughead who has shown some fantastic signs at Full Back, and has spent a whole pre-season preparing to play there, to bring in a VFL level replacement and play Roughy in another role (forward) where he has shown only a moderate aptness.

Looks like the weekly move Lake forward calls are going to be replaced with move Roughead forward calls!

Greystache
12-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Final side, JJ out Wood in

Disappointed by that. I don't think Wood has any form related compelling case to be immediately introduced. I'd argue JJ has shown more than Wood in the past 12 months.

LongWait
12-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Disappointed by that. I don't think Wood has any form related compelling case to be immediately introduced. I'd argue JJ has shown more than Wood in the past 12 months.

My mail is that JJ is a bit sore - might be a chance for him to recover.

Hotdog60
12-04-2013, 08:03 PM
My mail is that JJ is a bit sore - might be a chance for him to recover.

It might be a case of player management with the less developed players.

Maddog37
12-04-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't like players coming in without going through the VFL. Did Wood do that?

Ghost Dog
12-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I don't like players coming in without going through the VFL. Did Wood do that?

My perception is, that's one area where Rocket and BMac tend to differ.

LongWait
12-04-2013, 11:00 PM
It might be a case of player management with the less developed players.

Yep. Same thing really - he is ready for a break.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2013, 11:19 PM
JJ looked buggered last week, but I am not sure bringing in Wood is the right move. His form has been average over the last year or two with a few exceptions and he's missed a fair bit of footy this year already.

Ghost Dog
12-04-2013, 11:23 PM
JJ looked buggered last week, but I am not sure bringing in Wood is the right move. His form has been average over the last year or two with a few exceptions and he's missed a fair bit of footy this year already.

Agreed. Who would you have instead?

Wood for a forward stint, a la Andrew Walker anyone?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Probably depends if JJ really needs a rest or not. I would have liked him as the sub.

I didn't see Williamstown in round one and they didn't play last week, making it tough to pick, but I would have went with Macrae.

G-Mo77
13-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Happy to see Wood in, I know quite a few are a little down on him but I'm a believer and think he's a key to our team. I was pretty sure he'd take JJ place but would love to see both in the same team at some stage this season.

Just an out there wild guess, Macrae plays in this one.

ratsmac
13-04-2013, 01:34 PM
I not too sure about Wood coming straight back in. His NAB form was quite ordinary I thought. His disposal is on par with Boyd's. One thing he does add however is a bigger body and an appetite for the contest. He can do some selfless acts much like Cross. His addition could be a good move.

G-Mo77
13-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Just an out there wild guess, Macrae plays in this one.

Just to clarify I meant the game against Coburg. :D

bulldogsthru&thru
13-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Just to clarify I meant the game against Coburg. :D

Has played a great game for Wiily. Also good to see Stringer boot 5

Mofra
13-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Cooney played HBF for most of last week - perhaps Wood back, Cooney to the middle and Smith/Cross rotate through the F50 again?

boydogs
13-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Has played a great game for Wiily. Also good to see Stringer boot 5

He's begging us to play him with performances like that. Can't wait to see him do it in the RW&B.

Ghost Dog
13-04-2013, 10:09 PM
He's begging us to play him with performances like that. Can't wait to see him do it in the RW&B.

Let the man play. If Grant can get a game in the seniors playing FF, 5 goals is surely enough for String.

jeemak
14-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Let the man play. If Grant can get a game in the seniors playing FF, 5 goals is surely enough for String.

Stringer was visibly cooked in the 3rd quarter (his second open goal run in was followed by 40 minutes of having his calves rubbed, between small stints on the ground), when watching the telecast. His effort to that point was exceptional, but in the big league he'd get worked over when the ball's in the opposition's hands, and he'd have to work a lot harder for his touches.

Nothing wrong with letting him recover, loosen up, and get another game or two under his belt to make sure he doesn't come in under prepared.