PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors- Round 2

Greystache
06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
This is the round 2 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Fremantle is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers= 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors= 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

SlimPickens
06-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Banker-

Libba- improvement that this kid continues to show is fantastic.

Dahl- worked his backside off and was our most effective forward.

Cooney- nice to have you back Adam.

Anchors-

Gia, Higgins, Murphy- our half forward line just didnt work hard enough today. Very disappointed after last weeks effort.

The Underdog
06-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Banker-

Libba- improvement that this kid continues to show is fantastic.

Dahl- worked his backside off and was our most effective forward.

Cooney- nice to have you back Adam.

Anchors-

Gia, Higgins, Murphy- our half forward line just didnt work hard enough today. Very disappointed after last weeks effort.

You can add Dickson to that group. One of his worst by far.

SonofScray
06-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Bankers:

Minson - presented well and continued on his good form. Showing great leadership.
Cooney - exciting player to watch in full flight, he's almost there again.
Stevens - really impressive off the bench.

Anchors:
Picken - turnovers were costly, disposal and decision making were poor.
Higgins - my least favourite footballer ever, today is an example why.
Gia - non factor in the game.

Dickson was atrocious, but I'll give him a slight reprieve because it was his worst game ever and no where near his normal output.

Greystache
06-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Bankers

Cooney- Looks like he may even get back close to his best. I hope his knee can hold up for both the club and Adam

Libba- Could be be anything as a player. He seems like the type of player who can step up on the big stage.

We fought it out to the final siren and won the latest quarter for the second game in a row.

Anchors

Picken- Had a shocker, almost everything he did turned out poorly.

Dickson- His worst game of his career so far, needs to rebound next week.

Senior players- To many go missing when it gets tough, they've done so far too often over their careers.

always right
06-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Bankers

Cooney- Looks like he may even get back close to his best. I hope his knee can hold up for both the club and Adam

Libba- Could be be anything as a player. He seems like the type of player who can step up on the big stage.

We fought it out to the final siren and won the latest quarter for the second game in a row.

Anchors

Picken- Had a shocker, almost everything he did turned out poorly.

Dickson- His worst game of his career so far, needs to rebound next week.

Senior players- To many go missing when it gets tough, they've done so far too often over their careers.

Agree with the above although it should be noted that regardless of the way Picken is playing, his effort never wanes. His last quarter effort one out against De Boer near the boundary was a classic example. If only everyone else had the same determination.

The only other banker I would throw in is Minson. His combination with Libba is going to be regular feature this year.

As for Dickson....I like him but his decision making is atrocious.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Bankers:

Minson - presented well and continued on his good form. Showing great leadership.
Cooney - exciting player to watch in full flight, he's almost there again.
Stevens - really impressive off the bench.

Anchors:
Picken - turnovers were costly, disposal and decision making were poor.
Higgins - my least favourite footballer ever, today is an example why.
Gia - non factor in the game.

Dickson was atrocious, but I'll give him a slight reprieve because it was his worst game ever and no where near his normal output.

LOL you dislike him more than Crowley? Wow.

Bankers
- Luke Dahlhaus. Pretty much our ownly effective forward.
- Adam Cooney, as above.
- Libba - Apples's don't fall far from the tree.
- Minnow

Anchors
- Set shots from dead in front. A forward's bread and butter.
- Skills pay the bills - not clean enough

Well done on last quarter boys. Traded blows with a club touted as top four.

AndrewP6
06-04-2013, 09:51 PM
B
Li'l Libba... Super,super game.
Willllbur... Keeps on keeping on.
Cooooney.... Looks terrific, and must be relishing it.

A
Senior group (Gia, Murphy, Higgins)... We need them to show the way, and they're just so disappointing.
Cordy... Just miles off it. In the words of the great John Kennedy, "do something"

Hotdog60
06-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Bankers
- Luke Dahlhaus. Pretty much our ownly effective forward.

Anchors
- Set shots from dead in front. A forward's bread and butter.

Just putting it out there but do you think Luke is trying to do too much. Last week and this week he seem to rush things or have it spent before he had it. Is he putting to much pressure on himself especially when the forward line isn't functioning well.

Mantis
06-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Bankers:

Cooney -I hope is moving like this in the 2nd half of the season.. We (I) missed him.

Libba - The boy can play

Young - holding his own

Anchors:

Higgins - Cat!

Smith - Plays inside or for Williamstown

Cross - Poor showing today, needs to be use it better.

Sedat
06-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Smith - Plays inside or for Williamstown
I thought he looked all at sea today in the role that he was given. Don't really see the value of having him distribute out wide.

I also really liked Young's game - was comfortably our most composed defender today.

Mantis
06-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I thought he looked all at sea today in the role that he was given. Don't really see the value of having him distribute out wide.

Him running around on the Doug Hawkins wing does very little to honour the name... the kid is as hard as a cats head, but he isn't a wingman's a-hole.

I also really liked Young's game - was comfortably our most composed defender today.

He has surprised me... going ok.

Eastdog
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Where was Cordy do you reckon more towards banker or anchor.

AndrewP6
06-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Where was Cordy do you reckon more towards banker or anchor.

Anchor of the highest order ( or should it be lowest?)..he's a passenger ATM.

Eastdog
06-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Anchor of the highest order ( or should it be lowest?)..he's a passenger ATM.

He certainly is not a marker of the ball is he.

ratsmac
06-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Bankers

Cooney - was good today, looks to have his run back. Just hope his knee holds up.

Libba - he just knows how to find the ball and he doesn't waste it either.

Mince - he is continuing on from last year's good form.

Anchors (Freo , pardon the pun):D

Every player in our forward line apart from Dalhaus. Constant calling for the long ball in instead of leading and opening up space for each other. This is lazy and dumb football.

Midfielders for letting the cheat Crowley cling to Griffen all day. I didn't see not one block on Crowley to allow Griffen some space.

Before I Die
06-04-2013, 10:42 PM

Given he is only 20 years old and has played only 10 games, his composure is remarkable. Possibly credit to Collingwood's development program. Yuk, now I feel dirty.

Ghost Dog
06-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Is it true Collingwood had Young in development since he was 14? I heard that from somewhere.

In terms of anchors, just putting it out there, but should the coaching staff get a black mark for not reacting a bit earlier?
Freo allowed us an extra man in the clearances, and just waited back for usto turn it over owing to applied pressure.
We adjusted in the second half, but the lead had blown out by then.

Before I Die
06-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Is it true Collingwood had Young in development since he was 14? I heard that from somewhere.

Yep, part of their U14 NSW academy. Then rookied at 17 and promoted to the list at 18.Traded out at 20.

Rance Fan
06-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Who was worse today?

Jones or Cordy?

Dickson/Gia/Higgins?

LostDoggy
06-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Bankers:
Libba
Young
Dahlhaus

Anchors:
Fans dropping shit on the team after one loss against a very solid team

SonofScray
06-04-2013, 11:33 PM

Yes. To be fair though to him though, its an extreme and unreasonable view I hold. So apologies in advance for the following rant Edit: Feel free to ignore the following emotive outburst.:D

Today wasn't an off day for Higgins, it was a true reflection of his ability. A front running, average footballer whose leadership skills are limited to pointing and making demands of his team mates that he himself will not do. Looks a million bucks when things are going well but is nowhere to be seen in adverse scenarios on the field.

Nothing against him personally, I don't think he set out to get injured and be a major disappointment. But he is.

Until he starts playing well, then he isn't. Higgo's career reminds me of the President's preseason address: "...the day is getting closer. I like this prediction. Because like religion & atheism and global warming. It can't be proven wrong until its all too late."

Remi Moses
06-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Bankers- Libba ( super talent)
Cooney ( looking his old self)
Dahlhaus( got better as the game went on)
Young ( really surprised how composed this guy is)

Anchors - Cordy ( he looks like he hasn't a clue in playing forward)
Dickson ( how many mistakes?) poor decision maker today
Murphy ( poor today)
Higgins ( the going got tough and Shaun disappeared)
Senior group let us down today

Remi Moses
06-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Bankers:
Libba
Young
Dahlhaus

Anchors:

Fair go . You are allowed to critique a performance.

Dog54
06-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Only an anchor for me.

Thank the board for appointing our coach over Mrk Neeld

Greystache
06-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Only an anchor for me.

Thank the board for appointing our coach over Mrk Neeld

I think you might mean Banker... Unless you really really enjoy pain ;)

Dog54
06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
I think you might mean Banker... Unless you really really enjoy pain ;)

Yes baker I meant ! . He should resign immediately.

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 12:06 AM

It's not the honest critique on here I refer to, but the muppets I overheard on the way out of the ground with my daughter, ranting about how shit we are and how Ammaca is clueless. There was a lot of agreement from others, and I was actually pleasantly surprised to find WOOF disappointed but mostly positive, so thanks guys. Hated getting on here last year after a loss but its much better this year.

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 12:06 AM
After watching today I have great concerns with having Picken and Cross in the team .... along with Boyd when he returns because the turnovers are just too costly. We now have some great users of the ball but these blokes regularly bring all the good work undone!

soupman
07-04-2013, 12:57 AM

Yes I agree, and I'm fine with supporters being dissapointed and critiqueing the performance, but some statements just seem like supporters are defaulting to just plain old negativity after what have been an encouraging opening two rounds.

Remi Moses
07-04-2013, 01:33 AM
It's not the honest critique on here I refer to, but the muppets I overheard on the way out of the ground with my daughter, ranting about how shit we are and how Ammaca is clueless. There was a lot of agreement from others, and I was actually pleasantly surprised to find WOOF disappointed but mostly positive, so thanks guys. Hated getting on here last year after a loss but its much better this year.

Fair enough mate.Probably the same idiots who moan when we kick it backwards and not to the opposition in the forward half.

Remi Moses
07-04-2013, 01:35 AM
After watching today I have great concerns with having Picken and Cross in the team .... along with Boyd when he returns because the turnovers are just too costly. We now have some great users of the ball but these blokes regularly bring all the good work undone!

I am as well. What was evident today was our lack of efficiency in a hot match.
We need polish in the line up

Eastdog
07-04-2013, 01:38 AM
I am as well. What was evident today was our lack of efficiency in a hot match.
We need polish in the line up

Although our disposal efficiency did improve. It was low at the start of the match.

comrade
07-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Who was worse today?

Jones or Cordy?

Dickson/Gia/Higgins?

Cordy.

Dickson probably.

None of them were very good.

OLD SCRAGGer
07-04-2013, 04:49 AM
Bankers:
Libba
Young
Dahlhaus

Anchors:

I TOTALLY agree!!:mad: Makes me so ANGRY!!!!

Hotdog60
07-04-2013, 08:21 AM

They are the fair weather variety and they will come out of the woodwork when the sky is rosey and go back into hiding when the clouds get grey.

We did do a few things wrong yesterday but if we didn't give them 6 goals at the start it could have been a lot different result. Their average age of the midfield was 25 ours was 20. They are into their prime so to win in the centre was a good effort from us.

always right
07-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Who was worse today?

Jones or Cordy?

Dickson/Gia/Higgins?

For mine.....Dickson. He stank this week. His effort is always there but he makes incredibly poor decisions IMO which undoes so much of his good work. He appears to escape criticism on this board due to his defensive efforts.

EasternWest
07-04-2013, 10:51 AM
For mine.....Dickson. He stank this week. His effort is always there but he makes incredibly poor decisions IMO which undoes so much of his good work. He appears to escape criticism on this board due to his defensive efforts.

But in fairness, defensive effort contributes to making our team better and tougher to play. Some of our other forwards don't do that even when they're having poor games offensively.

I don't disagree with you though, he was poor yesterday, but at least he continued to run both ways.

Eastdog
07-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Even though Smith, Picken and Dickson didn't have their best games yesterday I thought still that their effort was there which was pleasing. Smith and Dickson are still young and are only both going to get better with time.

always right
07-04-2013, 11:06 AM

Don't agree with this. Plenty of blokes turned the footy over yesterday including Cross and Picken but there were several occasions when Cossy picked out targets and I found myself thinking how much he has improved in this area. As usual you need to look at more than one aspect of a player's game. Crossy ran himself into the ground as per normal. After he kicked that goal in the last quarter I noted how exhausted he looked. One minute later there he is running from one end of the ground to the other offering his teammates support. This often goes un-noticed.

Hotdog60
07-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Don't agree with this. Plenty of blokes turned the footy over yesterday including Cross and Picken but there were several occasions when Cossy picked out targets and I found myself thinking how much he has improved in this area. As usual you need to look at more than one aspect of a player's game. Crossy ran himself into the ground as per normal. After he kicked that goal in the last quarter I noted how exhausted he looked. One minute later there he is running from one end of the ground to the other offering his teammates support. This often goes un-noticed.

The one thing you will get from Cross is 100% and even after that he will find another 10% if needed.

EasternWest
07-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Bankers

Brett Goodes - got off to a Barry Crocker. Could have dropped his head and gone into his shell but just kept at it. Still not a great game, but enough mental resilience to rate a mention.

Adam Cooney - I didn't even care that he got lost when he went for a run and got caught. I was just happy to see him doing it. We'll know better later in the season if his knee is truly "fixed", but going on what we've seen it's very positive.

The goal umpire - Imagine the theatrics if that was Ray Chamberlain's knee getting blown out? No drama from the goal umpire. Just a few minutes of (completely understandable) "don't touch me" immobility, he just took it stoically. Two thumbs up.

Anchors

Picken - worst game in our colours for him. I love him, but he was awful.

Cooney and Griffen - why can't either of these guys kick on their left foot? They're so one sided that its a near guaranteed turnover if they go that way.

A third point on one sidedness - when I played basketball, the easiest guys to defend were left handers. They spent their entire junior careers blitzing the opposition because they operated in reverse, so they never had to use their right hand. When they got to seniors they were so one sided that even if they faked/went the other way you knew they didn't have the capacity to hurt you.

So on that note, why oh why, do we always, always get cut up by left footers? Yesterday we constantly corralled guys like Danyle Pearce, Suban and Hill on to their left sides? Do we not do our research on these guys? Take away their left foot and they're not able to hurt us.

Eastdog
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
The one thing you will get from Cross is 100% and even after that he will find another 10% if needed.

Agree Hotdog60. Along with Picken his another that gives you that effort.

F'scary
07-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Bankers:

1. the whole team for not throwing in the towel.
2. the coaching staff for keeping the players focused.

Anchors:

The tall forwards let themselves down today.

F'scary
07-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Bankers

Anchors

Picken - worst game in our colours for him. I love him, but he was awful.

The Age named him in the best players, so his worst can't be that bad:)

SonofScray
07-04-2013, 02:30 PM

His effort was great, but there is no doubt in my mind that he played a shocker yesterday.

SlimPickens
07-04-2013, 03:17 PM
His effort was great, but there is no doubt in my mind that he played a shocker yesterday.

His disposal needs to lift, his inability to hit a target by foot yesterday was just appalling.

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm sure the coach wont fall for the Scott West theory with Cross and Picken. If he thinks they are hurting the team with poor disposal, he will act on it. Our club has been too kind in the past with "club stalwart" players.

SonofScray
07-04-2013, 03:46 PM
His disposal needs to lift, his inability to hit a target by foot yesterday was just appalling.

The real clanger that stood out for set off the chain of events that saw a goal umpire injured. Blind hand pass over the shoulder, inside to the corridor, inside 50. Ridiculous stuff. In the back half he needs to have a bit more economy.

Maniacally chased to try make amends.

Ghost Dog
07-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Do we agree that theAge often gets things a bit muddled?

LostDoggy
07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Whilst Smith's effort cannot be questioned, and he does many good things, he does, at times, run at contests without seeming to know what his role is, with the result that he can over run or fumble the ball. Worse is that he ends up out of contests and the ball gets behind him, resulting in a takeaway for the opposition. I realize he is still learning and young and gives it everything, but a side like Freo kill you on the outside if you can't keep your feet or keep in the contest. I hope that experience teaches him polish and finesse.

LostDoggy
08-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Bankers

1. Libba: Clearance work is elite and if this form keeps up over the season a B&F is a reality.
2. Young: Composure, effort and leadership down back was very impressive.
3. Minson: Easily won the ruck battle to give our mids first use.

Anchors

1. Dickson: Made some poor decisions and skills were unusually down. Will bounce back next week.
2. Higgins: Made no attempt to chase Fremantle's defenders when they moved it out of our forward line, giving them a free man every time they ran it through the middle of the ground. Killed us.
3. Cordy/Jones set shot kicking: Missing goals that should be a key forward's bread and butter completely deflates the rest of the team and makes it extremely difficult to build scoreboard pressure.

LongWait
08-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Bankers

1. Libba: Clearance work is elite and if this form keeps up over the season a B&F is a reality.
2. Young: Composure, effort and leadership down back was very impressive.
3. Minson: Easily won the ruck battle to give our mids first use.

Anchors

1. Dickson: Made some poor decisions and skills were unusually down. Will bounce back next week.
2. Higgins: Made no attempt to chase Fremantle's defenders when they moved it out of our forward line, giving them a free man every time they ran it through the middle of the ground. Killed us.
3. Cordy/Jones set shot kicking: Missing goals that should be a key forward's bread and butter completely deflates the rest of the team and makes it extremely difficult to build scoreboard pressure.

The coach mentioned his disappointment at our defensive performance - I wonder whether he had Higgin's efforts in mind (among others.)

Ozza
08-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Bankers:

Libba - is just a bloody star. He will be the best player at our football club at some stage - and it might not be too far around the corner either.

Young - 2 impressive games so far. Thought he, Morris and Roughead worked pretty well as the 3 key-ish backs. at times the ball was coming in pretty quickly and easily and they acquitted themselves well.

Koby Stevens - really really impressed with him. Hard, and hard running is what we've seen from his first couple of (part) matches.

Anchors:

1. Dickson & Picken - had shockers. Give it all every week, so its not a pot on them, they just had really poor days. Picko even missed a straight forward shot on goal - and he is usually a great shot.

2. Crossy - yeah, he kicked a couple of goals from his tremendous work rate paying off - and we know he always works so hard. But his poor choices by hand, particularly, at times put others under the pump and cost us goals. Wallis played in a very Cross-like fashion today also - and also put his team mates under pressure by going short and backwards straight away without looking.

3. Murphy/Higgins/Gia - non-factors mostly - and missed opportunities which could have gotten us in touch.

F'scary
08-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Do we agree that theAge often gets things a bit muddled?

;). As they say in the classics, The Rage often wears its brains on its underpants

bornadog
08-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Bankers

* Minson - an underrated ruckman in the AFL who continues with his great ruck work from last year. Needs to take a few more marks around the ground, but 48 hitouts plus his clearance work was superb.

* Libba - His father won a Brownlow, but I think he will be better than the old man. 18 clearances, 11 tackles (20 in two weeks and equal first with Hocking). Also leads the AFL with clearances (including centre).

* Cooney - great to see him racking up the disposals, even though he mainly played in the backline.

Anchors

* The whole team for allowing a 5 goal break without scoring a goal.

* Dickson - shocking game and kicking into the man when another player had a paddock in front of him. 3 tackles is way down from his 7 last week.

* Misses of easy shots on goal - Cordy, (from 15 metres), Higgins etc.

whythelongface
08-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Bankers:

- The team for fighting back on two separate occassions during the match when it looked like the scores may blow out;

- Libba - what a player this kid will be, or should I say, already is;

- Cooney - great to see him become an effective player again - his dash of the half back flank was great to see;

Anchors

- Letting Freo score six unanswered goals in the first qtr and four unanswered goals in the 3rd qtr. We can't afford to let teams do this.

- Scoring 6 points in a row in the 3rd qtr when we could have gotten ourselves back into the contest on the scoreboard;

- Our forward line - didn't provide the defensive pressure from the previous week thus allowing Freo plenty of run out of the back line

The Underdog
08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Bankers

Roughead - The smother. Silly by Pavlich but great work by Jordan for staying aware. Little things like that can make the difference.

Young - Surprise of the year so far. Puts himself in good spots both when we do and don't have the ball. Seems to have a good feel for when to stay with his man and when to leave and help. So far ball use is good.

Minosn - For the gorgeous tap to Cooney for our first goal.

Anchors

Forward line - All the positive movement to attract the ball seemed to disappear this week. Some awful decision making and forward pressure was nothing like what it should be.

Dickson - Has been said, but some of his decision making was terrible and nothing is more frustrating than a player having 2 options and then hitting the one opposition player between them on the chest.

The chopping the arms rule and the interpretation of the push in the back rule. Both rules are even worse when umpires guess.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2013, 02:52 PM
;). As they say in the classics, The Rage often wears its brains on its underpants

F'scray robot, you're a classic. :D

Bumper Bulldogs
09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes. To be fair though to him though, its an extreme and unreasonable view I hold. So apologies in advance for the following rant Edit: Feel free to ignore the following emotive outburst.:D

Today wasn't an off day for Higgins, it was a true reflection of his ability. A front running, average footballer whose leadership skills are limited to pointing and making demands of his team mates that he himself will not do. Looks a million bucks when things are going well but is nowhere to be seen in adverse scenarios on the field.

Nothing against him personally, I don't think he set out to get injured and be a major disappointment. But he is.

Until he starts playing well, then he isn't. Higgo's career reminds me of the President's preseason address: "...the day is getting closer. I like this prediction. Because like religion & atheism and global warming. It can't be proven wrong until its all too late."

Fully agree and would like to know how he is ever mentioned as a person in our leadership group. Maybe he would if right in to the Melbourne football club.

craigsahibee
09-04-2013, 11:53 AM

I'm still not sold in Dickson. I can't remember anyone else in the game who gets slower the further out from goal they get. It's like he is on an invisible bungy cord anchored to the goal line.

His speed by foot and mind is questionable as soon as he crosses the 50 metre arc.

Mantis
09-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm still not sold in Dickson. I can't remember anyone else in the game who gets slower the further out from goal they get. It's like he is on an invisible bungy cord anchored to the goal line.

His speed by foot and mind is questionable as soon as he crosses the 50 metre arc.

Agree with all that.

He really needs to play close to goal, but modern footy doesn't allow that.... The fact that we have multiple players who fall into this category doesn't help us when the supply dries up.

bornadog
09-04-2013, 02:42 PM

When Freo attack (just like the Saints use to) the backs all run forward dragging our players out of our forward 50. Many times Dickson found himself on the wing and seemed lost when he got the ball.