PDA

View Full Version : Players from other clubs

The Coon Dog
05-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Who have been some of your favourite players that we have got from other clubs, or players you thought gave great service after we acquired them from another club.

One of my all time favourites was Peter Foster, we certainly saw the best of Fozzie after mis move from Fitzroy.

Others that come to mind are Bluey Hampshire, Todd Curley, Libba of course, James Cooke & Jose Romero are some.

Others?

Dry Rot
05-10-2007, 07:29 PM
That chap Hudson wasn't a bad player. Garlick was more than serviceable. Robbo was good for us up forward for a season or two.

Post Garlick (1999?) i can't think of anyone, which says something about our trading, luck etc

However, we shouldn't forget the 2 immortal games by the great Trent Bartlett vs Carlton.

Mofra
05-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Matty Dent & Bernard Toohey were two I had time for. Romero was a good pickup.

Does the Pieman count, considering the WAFL was pretty strong in those days?

The Coon Dog
05-10-2007, 07:51 PM
That chap Hudson wasn't a bad player. Garlick was more than serviceable. Robbo was good for us up forward for a season or two.

Post Garlick (1999?) i can't think of anyone, which says something about our trading, luck etc

However, we shouldn't forget the 2 immortal games by the great Trent Bartlett vs Carlton.

Huddo was fantastic for us. A dead eye dick shooting for goal.

One of those Trent Bartlett games (R18, 2000) featured a debutant wearing #22, Robert Murphy. Garlo kicked 6 that day to break Carlton's unbeaten run. A pre cursor to the main event 2 weeks later against Essendon.

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Hudson and Romero for me.

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Stewie Magee and Gags Gallagher.

Greg Parke, Ken Newland, Crazy Horse Cowton and the other two duds we got for Demps (Williams and Moylan?). Ian Robertson, Greg Towns, Phil Maylin and Robbert Klomp from Carlton, Tony Buhagier.

Carl would kill me if I left out Lally Bamblett. Phil Krakour. The redhead from St. Kilda that had a name like Tivendale and played just like him.

Jakovich, Cookie and Loaf.

Mofra
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
A declining Winmar? Monty was "loaned" to Port... doe he count too?

LostDoggy
05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Jose Romero was my favourite from another club, my favourites (bar some of the champions, ie. West) were the ones to be traded away, ie. Cameron, Ellis...and dare I say it, Brown.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Stewie Magee and Gags Gallagher.

Greg Parke, Ken Newland, Crazy Horse Cowton and the other two duds we got for Demps (Williams and Moylan?). Ian Robertson, Greg Towns, Phil Maylin and Robbert Klomp from Carlton, Tony Buhagier.

Carl would kill me if I left out Lally Bamblett. Phil Krakour. The redhead from St. Kilda that had a name like Tivendale and played just like him.

Jakovich, Cookie and Loaf.

Buckets Tweedale!

Speaking of Carl, what about Ben Harrison!

Nicky Winmar, Robert Rose, Brad Wira, Nathan Eagleton & Glenn Coleman are others too.

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Coleman was far better than a lot of people gave him credit for and I thought he was a crucial player in assisting Chris Grant in his early years.
I once saw Rhys Jones trying to rough up a very young Chris Grant out at PP and when Coleman saw the injustice he went pretty hard at Rhys Jones. Grant got into the shortly after and it ended up being a very satisfying win.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Coleman was far better than a lot of people gave him credit for and I thought he was a crucial player in assisting Chris Grant in his early years.
I once saw Rhys Jones trying to rough up a very young Chris Grant out at PP and when Coleman saw the injustice he went pretty hard at Rhys Jones. Grant got into the shortly after and it ended up being a very satisfying win.

Was that the day it was really windy & a flagpole snapped on one of the grandstands & fell hitting a spectator? If it was Granty kicked 3 in the 3rd quarter.

GVGjr
05-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Was that the day it was really windy & a flagpole snapped on one of the grandstands & fell hitting a spectator? If it was Granty kicked 3 in the 3rd quarter.

No it wasn't the flagpole day but I do remember it.

Bulldog Revolution
05-10-2007, 11:04 PM
For me I look back and think Coleman, Hudson, Dent. 85 is a golden year in my memory and I loved both Budgie and Lally Bamblett crumbing off Beasley.

Glen 'Galaxy' Coleman seemed to my young eyes at the time to have superstar like talent , If we had him today he would be miles our best key forward. And GVGjr you are dead right = he combined brilliantly with Grant - I remember a game against Carlton at the G in 1992-3 where he and Grant dominated.

I remember hearing we were recruiting Hudson and just couldn't believe it, and whilst he was a player at Hawthorn had been much maligned he was absolutely brilliant for us. I remember going down to Kardinia park for one of those games where we came back from nowhere - at a key stage in the game the ball was going out of bounds 40 metres out from goal and Hudson thought to try and centre it back soccer style - it hit Darcy in the goal square who goaled and put us maybe 3pts down. Few other players would have thought the way Hudson did - I also loved how deadly he was in front of goal.

A real shame for me we didnt have Matty Dent for his whole career - brilliant 1997 season

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2007, 09:55 AM
I can't believe I forgot Galaxy!

I'm pretty sure Galaxy took over 220 marks in 1992 - real marks, not chip sideways, pretend, Bowden-marks. Carey never did that.

This year the leading mark taker in the league was about 170-180 odd.

The Coon Dog
06-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I can't believe I forgot Galaxy!

I'm pretty sure Galaxy took over 220 marks in 1992 - real marks, not chip sideways, pretend, Bowden-marks. Carey never did that.

This year the leading mark taker in the league was about 170-180 odd.
Here's an interesting stat about Galaxy. He is the ONLY player to have played 50 games with 3 different clubs. 64 Fitzroy, Sydney 61 games & Western Bulldogs 69 games. It's a really good question to ask when you're around serious footy fans.

bornadog
06-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Here's an interesting stat about Galaxy. He is the ONLY player to have played 50 games with 3 different clubs. 64 Fitzroy, Sydney 61 games & Western Bulldogs 69 games. It's a really good question to ask when you're around serious footy fans.

I wonder if he has a son, he has stuffed up the father son draft:D

LostDoggy
06-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I wonder if he has a son, he has stuffed up the father son draft:D

He didn't play 100 games for any of the clubs:o . His Son would be stuck floating half way between 3 different clubs.

Mofra
06-10-2007, 04:21 PM
My favourite Galaxy story is where his car would nto start, so one of the other players offered to tow his car home with a tow rope. When asked what how to get to Galaxy's house, he said "don't worry, I'll direct you on the way".

He didn't realise that he'd still have to be in his own car steering. Great player, real courage, but definately earnt his nickname "Galaxy" :p

LostDoggy
06-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Huddo was fantastic for us. A dead eye dick shooting for goal.
One of those Trent Bartlett games (R18, 2000) featured a debutant wearing #22, Robert Murphy. Garlo kicked 6 that day to break Carlton's unbeaten run. A pre cursor to the main event 2 weeks later against Essendon.

Except when he missed that goal from right in front after a 50m penalty IIRC! Pretty sure someone went off on the blood rule before he missed that.

aker39
06-10-2007, 10:47 PM

I'll keep that one for my trivia nights

southerncross
06-10-2007, 10:58 PM
How many seasons did Emmett Dunne play for us? I seem to recall he handled a number of big assignments well for us. Did we use him a couple of times on Paul Salmon when he was being played mainly as a forward?

LostDoggy
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Did he coach our reserves to a premiership or close to it?

Dancin' Douggy
28-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Yep, pretty hard to beat Aker.
He has absolutely delivered on and off the field.
Much more than I thought he would. He's lifted the profile of the club.
He walks the walk. Makes people around him walk taller on the field, wins games off his own boot, and is now willing to play for a vastly reduced fee to help the club (and himself) to win a flag.

There's been a lot of good players mentioned. But even a real success story like P. Hudson has had nowhere near the impact of Aker.

My vote is Aker and bring on 2010.

LostDoggy
28-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Interesting thread, and considering SS's assertion that 'trading is the work of the devil', should we now put a caveat on that and say that 'crappy trading is the work of the devil', or 'Peter Rhode's trading is the work of the devil'?

After all, some key components of our current side: Hudson, Aker, Welsh (previously) and now Hall were all 'traded' into the club, although Rocket seems to have a policy of only trading out draft picks (rather than actual players) for these recycled players. The players we've traded out under Rocket -- Jordy, Power and Ray -- were also given up for draft picks.

Maybe this 'short-circuits' SS's argument about the people aspect of it as it isn't as if a guy is being traded out as bait for someone else, so in that aspect I think Rocket has been a gun at getting value without destroying the internal relational dynamics aspect of the team.

Bulldog Revolution
28-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Matt Robbins is another who gave us great service, and was a pretty popular clubman

The Bulldogs Bite
28-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Matt Robbins is another who gave us great service, and was a pretty popular clubman

Yep.

Robbins gave us very good service first down back and then later up forward. I always was a fan of his. He had a fantastic 2006 season and booted 40 odd goals. From a small forward, that's extremely valuable.

Aker has been brilliant. His '07 season got some heat but IMO he wasn't too bad. Still won us 2-4 games with flashes of magic. His '08 season was very good - brownlow esque form in the first part of the season. '09 would have been his most consistent though as he probably only had a down patch for 2 or so weeks.

It'll be interesting to see how Hall plays. If he keeps his head together and gives us 2 (maybe 3) seasons of quality, he might be pretty high on the list too.

Hotdog60
28-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I remember Bruce Duperouzel and Max Crow but the memory is fading.
I think Crow only played one season and Duperouzel may have played a couple.

1eyedog
28-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Agreed. Aker (especially after the end of next season), Foster, Budgie. Aker wins for being a great clubman too playing at reduced cost. I never thought I'd say that about Aker but I'm please to be surprised. He's been fantastic in so many areas.

strebla
29-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Ian "Bluey" Hampshire just gave his all and went on to coach great man.Where is he now might make a good interview??

KT31
29-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Thought we got value out of Osbourne when he played.
Maylin was a toiler as well.
Acker has been great and certainly rate him high, but Wallet did win two B/F's.

Twodogs
29-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I think Crow only played one season

Not even a full season. The poor bastard lost a testicle in his 3rd or 4th match for us and understandably retired.

Twodogs
29-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Angelo Petraglia played some good footy for us too. I remember a goal he kicked at Windy Hill in '87(?). It was amazing, he had a flying shot that was heading out of bounds but moved sideways more than he ball that Warnie got Gatting with and rolled through for a goal. Soon after Beasley got a couple of dodgy frees and we came from 5 goals down just before half time to win.

Twodogs
29-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Does the Pieman count, considering the WAFL was pretty strong in those days?

He signed a form four with Carlton (I think) so he was definitely tied to another club.

LostDoggy
29-10-2009, 10:56 AM
How about: Harvey Stevens, Gordon Casey, Nigel Kellet, Ken Greenwood, Wallet, Kingsley Hunter, Chris Hansen

Twodogs
29-10-2009, 10:59 AM
The redhead from St. Kilda that had a name like Tivendale and played just like him.

Buckets Tweedale!

Royce Hart was making the players run up and down the fire escape steps on the Whitten Stand years ago at training. Tweedale asked if he go go to the toilet and Hart said no. "Fair enough then" said Buckets and promptly had a wizz from the very top landing onto a bunch of cars parked outside!

Speaking of Carl, what about Ben Harrison!

I sat next to the property steward at one game and the first thing he said was a derogatory remark about Harrison's manliness. I rest my case.

Twodogs
29-10-2009, 11:00 AM
How about: Harvey Stevens, Gordon Casey, Nigel Kellet, Ken Greenwood, Wallet, Kingsley Hunter, Chris Hansen

Mark.

Stephen Lunn, Matthew Hannaberry, Robert Amos, Con Gorozides, Alan McConnell, Michael(?) Rolfe(one of Malthouse's mates from Richmond) Dean Chiron, Alan Edwards, Shane Walsh, Robbie Peers, David Allday-the list is endless, I spent five minutes thinking of that list of the top of my head.

In fact I wonder when the last time we took the field without an ex-opposition player in the team? I'd almost be willing to bet that it's never, that we've always had an a plyer from another club in our teams right back to the days of Con McCarthy, Bill Cubbins and Jack Hutchison in the '20s and '30s.

bornadog
29-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Ben Hudson goes all right as well. Lets see what Hall can do.

LostDoggy
29-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I think Nathan Eagleton has done well too. :)

LostDoggy
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Bandy went alright the first year he played for us. But if you mention that name in the Barking Dog's household, you are guaranteed to get a reaction from the other half complete with red face and a lot of swearing:p

AndrewP6
08-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Bandy went alright the first year he played for us. But if you mention that name in the Barking Dog's household, you are guaranteed to get a reaction from the other half complete with red face and a lot of swearing:p

Just looking at your avatar.... I have that poster at work. :)