View Full Version : Congratulations Daniel Cross on 200 Games

bornadog
10-04-2013, 12:08 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/CROSSDaniel_zps587f79ac.png

Height 187 cm DOB 30-03-1983
Weight 87 kg Debut 2002
Games 199
Goals 31

Cross about to play his 200th game in the red, white and blue. What a warrior, all guts and determination, never stops trying and giving his all. A model player on and off the field, congratulations and thank you for 200 great games.

eNqCWUQ8fxM

lhqtaPmt5C4

jeemak
10-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Congratulations indeed.

Joel Selwood and other players get a lot of credit for the head first attack on the ball and man that has forced a rule change, though for better or for worse I think Cross is the prototype player of that style of attack in close. He has been doing that since Selwood was 14 years old. His courage is unsurpassed in the league, and would be recognised so if we'd have won at least one flag between 2008-2010.

Always a brilliant mark of the ball, his ability to use the ball by hand has been a touch underrated, particularly after working his arse off to get it in the first place. His determination to keep running, chase and tackle is an example for any player coming through the ranks. There's not many players that typify the desperate defensive and unrelenting midfielders that are so prominent in today's game.

I thought he was gone at the end of 2011, and was pleasantly surprised for him to prove me wrong in 2012. He has some challenges to remain relevant throughout this year however, he deserves every bit of credit coming to him this week as he is a true Bulldog champion.

The guy's probably going to prove to me again that he's still relevant, without much fuss however.

AndrewP6
10-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Good on ya Crossy, tremendous effort to reach this great milestone! A true Bulldog, gives his all week in, week out. What a champ.

LostDoggy
10-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Daniel Cross you are a true champion.

You epitomise true grit. When you got that shoulder injury last year and was shedding a tear because you couldn't go back on and help your mates. That's just just model leadership that is so much more of a great jesture that would take forever to put into words.

The 4th quarter on the weekend where you kicked a goal given where you ran from, underlies your never give up attitude. Thank you for playing for the Western Bulldogs and giving us glimmers of hope when all it all seems lost because I haven't seen you give up.

Best of luck on your 200 and the many games to follow.

Go you good thing #4

Remi Moses
10-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Tremendous warrior for the club.I hear calls for his head, but for mine he's the type you'd never sack.

LostDoggy
10-04-2013, 07:14 AM
I love Crossy, I haven't seen this much red, white and blue in the blood since Libba Snr. He is totally fearless, totally dedicated and totally freakin’ awesome!

Of any milestone game, Crossy’s would be the hardest to do justice to. I hope the boys have a real hard crack at it.

LostDoggy
10-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Absolute champion, congrats Crossy

Mofra
10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
In 199 games so far he has left nothing on the field in any of them.
If every draftee we had at the club gave half of his effort we'd be a powerhouse.

Maddog37
10-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Humble champion that deserves the accolades. Always let his actions do the talking and is as hard as a cats head. Go Crossy!!

craigsahibee
10-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Daniel Cross you are a true champion.

You epitomise true grit. When you got that shoulder injury last year and was shedding a tear because you couldn't go back on and help your mates. That's just just model leadership that is so much more of a great jesture that would take forever to put into words.

The 4th quarter on the weekend where you kicked a goal given where you ran from, underlies your never give up attitude. Thank you for playing for the Western Bulldogs and giving us glimmers of hope when all it all seems lost because I haven't seen you give up.

Best of luck on your 200 and the many games to follow.

Go you good thing #4

Well said. He was involved in the boundary throw in at half back and ran his ar$e off to get on the end of a kick in the goal square to kick that goal.

Congratulations Daniel on a career built on dedication, guts, commitment and selflessness.

lemmon
10-04-2013, 11:36 AM
The absolute epitome of warrior, tremendously unlucky not to captain the club at some stage. Would be hard pressed to find someone who got so much out of what is limited talent and physical capability...not many have footys in their cupboards!

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Congrats Daniel, a pillar of courage, dedication and skill. You have made a big footprint of character at the club that will outlive your career as an exemplar to the next generation of Bulldog footballers.

always right
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I declared he'd never make it in the early days...how wrong was I? He's since become one of my favourite ever bulldogs. There are three blokes in our side who provide you with confidence that their effort never wanes from week to week...Picken, Morris and Crossy.

Let's face it.....he's slow, not a penetrating kick, and doesn't hurt opposition teams as much as others. What he does do however is work on his deficiencies and develop his strengths. The Crossy we see today is one of our best over head marks, our hardest running midfielder, and our most courageous player. He's developed his handballing under pressure to a high standard, hits targets with his kicking by playing within his capabilities and has improved his decision making out of sight.

My whole family will be there Sunday to recognise his milestone.

The Pie Man
10-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Tremendous effort, a career worthy of admiration and congratulations. Have noticed his weaknesses less & less the further his career extends.

Well done Crossy.

LostDoggy
10-04-2013, 12:45 PM
When i saw him in tears after that shoulder injury late last year i thought it may have been the end.

Glad it wasn't.

Murphy'sLore
10-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Daniel Cross, you are one footballer who I am proud to hold up to my kids as a model of what can be achieved with sheer determination, courage and hard work. There should be a picture of you on the certificates they give out at primary school for Persistance.

We salute you, and we'll be there to cheer you on on Sunday.

F'scary
10-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Here's hoping for a big bunch of more games to come yet - Cross's shoes will be very hard to fill when it comes time to hang up the boots. Integral part of a top notch core group that took this club to 3 prelims in a row and 4 finals series in 5 years.

DragzLS1
10-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Champion! Love seeing him play and is first picked on the list along with Boyd, Picken and Morris for me as he never stops trying! Think a few of our players have learnt alot from him and is a great role model! Hope we get up for him this weekend to make it soo much sweeter :)

bornadog
10-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Cross courage inspiring for Dogs (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2013/04/10/cross-courage-inspiring-for-dogs/)

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney says Daniel Cross is one rare AFL player who never flinches at a physical contest.

The gutsy 30-year-old midfielder will play his 200th AFL game against Richmond on Sunday and McCartney expects the team to be emotionally charged to honour a player held in rare esteem.

"There's no better example of how to live your life and how to get the absolute essence out of yourself," McCartney said as Cross stood next to him at a press conference on Wednesday.

"It rubs off.

"He probably doesn't realise the impact he has on the younger people in our club.

"They respect him so much as the person and example he sets for them.

"I know our supporters appreciate and have appreciated for a long time how he commits his body to every contest.

"You don't see many players who go through a long career and don't flinch.

"He doesn't flinch ever.

"He just sees the ball and goes and gets it."

Drafted at pick No.56 in 2000, Cross didn't play a senior game in his first year on the Bulldogs' list and after three seasons had just 10 matches to his name.

Not blessed with exceptional height, pace or a penetrating kick - he's had almost twice as many handballs as kicks over his career - Cross has instead made dogged hard work and courageous attack on the ball his hallmark.

It's earned him a top-three placing in the Dogs' best and fairest count six times, including winning it outright in 2008.

Cross, who said the honour of reaching 200 games was amplified by the effort it took to break into the side in the first place, was chuffed to have become known for his courage.

"You like to be remembered for something," he said.

"I don't do it for that reason.

"I think it just comes natural to me.

"Everyone has weaknesses and strengths in their game and I have my weaknesses.

"But it's certainly a strength that I've played to and I love playing that way."

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-04-2013, 07:21 PM
When i saw him in tears after that shoulder injury late last year i thought it may have been the end.

Glad it wasn't.

Showed how much playing means to him. His run into the goal square on Saturday was inspiring.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2013, 08:02 PM
A truly inspiring, courageous player is our Crossy. Heard him speak of his love for the Club when he received his Life Membership. Would have made a worthy captain.

Go_Dogs
10-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Going to be great seeing Crossy notch up the milestone this weekend. Been a courageous, selfless player his whole career and his application on the track and with his preparation he's a great role model as others have mentioned. A real Bulldog who'll be fondly remembered long after when his time eventually comes to an end.

Well done on cracking 200 games.

bornadog
11-04-2013, 09:49 AM
bsuYya2nZRM

LostDoggy
11-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Congratulations on reaching the 200 Club Crossy!! I hope there are many more games to come. :)

KT31
11-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Congrats to Crossy.
Huge ticker and one of the bravest players to don our jumper.

G-Mo77
11-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Congrats to Crossy.
Huge ticker and one of the bravest players to don our jumper.

This.

One of the true leaders of our club who leads by just doing what he does week in, week out.

always right
11-04-2013, 12:20 PM
bsuYya2nZRM

That's fantastic...although I'm a little disappointed that the story about Crossy testing his reflexes by having footballs fall out of cupboards at home isn't true. I loved that story.

Please don't tell me the story about him randomly tackling trees when he goes on walks isn't also an urban myth. I recall both of these stories were related by his wife in an article. In Bob Murphy's terms...what a rascal she is.

jeemak
11-04-2013, 01:29 PM
They're probably both true.

Through his humble nature he probably doesn't want the stories to grow legs.

turtle
11-04-2013, 01:47 PM
It's all been said above but I just wanted to add my congratulations to the great man.

DOG GOD
11-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Congratulations on reaching the 200 club crossy...may u celebrate with a win!!!!

westbulldog
11-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Congratulations and best wishes on your 200th Daniel. Your courage, commitment and skill have made you a true bulldog champion. Lets hope the boys win on Sunday for you, you certainly deserve it.

Ghost Dog
11-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Love your work Crossy. And you keep getting better. That's the ultimate credit.

A bulletproof vest wears Daniel Cross for protection. :)

Eastdog
11-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Great effort Daniel on reaching the 200 milestone. Hopefully in the future will celebrate 300. Lets get a good win on Sunday.

Hotdog60
11-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Can't add any more than what's been said. Crossy you're a rippa'

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Daniel Cross, you are one footballer who I am proud to hold up to my kids as a model of what can be achieved with sheer determination, courage and hard work. There should be a picture of you on the certificates they give out at primary school for Persistance.

We salute you, and we'll be there to cheer you on on Sunday.

Now that's something kids would strive for surely??? I would but at 35 I'm a bit past primary school, but will return if this eventuates.

EasternWest
12-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Love your work Crossy. And you keep getting better. That's the ultimate credit.

This is a good point. His courage aside, when it was looking like the game was passing him by he's found a way to stay relevant, which is yet another credit to him.

I love guys like Cross. A truly deserving life member of our great club.

Eastdog
12-04-2013, 11:57 AM
You gotta love Daniel Cross. Great effort reaching the 200 game milestone. Hopefully in the future will be celebrating his 300th game! His a player that works hard and puts in for our club.

bornadog
12-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Great effort Daniel on reaching the 200 milestone. Hopefully in the future will celebrate 300. Lets get a good win on Sunday.

You gotta love Daniel Cross. Great effort of reaching the 200 game milestone. Hopefully in the future will be celebrating his 300th game! His a player that works hard and puts in for our club.

Gee Eastdog you wanted to make a point here:D

Love to see him get to 300, but realistically, that means another 5 seasons and he is already 30 years old.

Eastdog
12-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Gee Eastdog you wanted to make a point here:D

Love to see him get to 300, but realistically, that means another 5 seasons and he is already 30 years old.

Oops forgot I said something about Cross before. Yeah it gets harder once you get over 30 in training.

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 01:52 PM
So glad he represents us, so proud of him! Never heard a bad word said about him, super star of our club! Very special player! Hope we get the chocolates for him

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Love your work and attitude Crossy. Congratulations on reaching 200 games this week.

bulldogsman
12-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Well done Crossy. It's obvious to see you wear the jumper with pride which is as much as anyone one could ask for. Unbelievable courage and commitment.

Bulldog Revolution
13-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Daniel Cross has consistently given his absolute best for the club. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the way he goes about it, and the person he seems to be.

Its great that Brendan has recognised the qualities of the senior leaders he inherited

I wonder who might speak before the game? Rocket? Boyd?

I hope we knock Richmond off to celebrate