PDA

View Full Version : Roughead goes from frying pan to fire at full-back Read more: http://www.theage.com.

bornadog
10-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/roughead-goes-from-frying-pan-to-fire-at-fullback-20130410-2hl51.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art-353-wbAFLjordanroughead-300x0_zpsbe4dbf7e.jpg

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney said it with a half smile but wasn’t kidding: "the life of a young AFL full back can be a treacherous one at times".
It hasn’t taken long for Jordan Roughead to get up to speed with that.

The 22-year-old stood Jonathan Brown in round one. He kept him to one goal. Then Matthew Pavlich in round two. Two goals. Now it’s Jack Riewoldt.
Watching "Jumping Jack" do his thing against St Kilda last Friday night, everyone at the Dogs would be satisfied if Roughead can continue in a 1-2-3 step against Richmond on Sunday.

Three goals from Riewoldt is better than the seven that wiped out the Saints.
"We haven’t spared him. Every time we’ve played him, he’s been on a high-quality opponent," McCartney said when asked about Roughead’s sink-or-swim transition into the team’s No.1 defender.

"You probably get that as a young full back. There is no easy way to do it," he said.
"But he is handling things well, he’s getting a lot of help from Dale Morris and Tom Young and his other defenders.

"He’s probably had the most impressive summer of anyone here. He’s just knuckled down with his training and the confidence that comes with it - he’s in for a good career."
That seems to be the consensus at Whitten Oval. They most definitely have something worth persisting with in Roughead, the key defender.

From a public point of view, Matthew Scarlett is seen (rarely these days), but barely heard.
So when arguably the best full-back of the modern era offers this on Roughead, you know it’s worth listening to.
"I think he’s going to be one of the best key position players in the league, even this year," the retired Geelong star put forward this week.
McCartney knew he was understanding in the extreme on Wednesday when he remarked: "that’s good feedback".

"He doesn’t give out praise that often, Matthew," the coach said.
Part-time backline coach Scarlett has been teaching Roughead the tricks of the trade he mastered during a decorated 284-game, triple premiership career - first class, one-on-one tutelage for any aspiring full-back.

McCartney said Scarlett and full-time development coach Rohan Smith had done a terrific job so far with the 200cm big man, but was careful to stress that two jobs done well don’t complete a season.
Case in point this Sunday: Riewoldt, Etihad Stadium, and a finely-tuned black-and-yellow midfield machine churning out the delivery. It is hardly the time for Roughead to get comfortable.

"Every time you dwell on how well you are going, there is another good opponent coming this week. And another one the week after that," McCartney said.
It is a big occasion for all Bulldogs. Daniel Cross, one of the guys the supporters love, will play his 200th game on Sunday.

However his close mate Matthew Boyd won’t be there to share it with him.
The Dogs captain has stepped up his running on the comeback trail from a calf injury, and it expected he will be available for selection ahead of round four.

Key defender Tom Williams is in a similar situation with his foot injury and will play VFL seniors this week in an effort to be right for the Adelaide game.
Fellow defender Easton Wood is ready to go if needed this week after recovering from a hamstring injury.

bornadog
10-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Roughie is developing along nicely and so far I like what I see. He is tall, and moves well and is doing all the right things. I agree with Scarlett, he is going to be a very good KPP

Topdog
11-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Saw that on Open Mike and Scarlett looks like he means what he says. So far been impressed by the Roughnut

Mofra
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Saw that on Open Mike and Scarlett looks like he means what he says. So far been impressed by the Roughnut
Completely. He couldn't care less about what should be or shouldn't be said, speaks his mind.

We seem to have quite a few good performers with little gametime under their belt:

JJ (I'm bias, a big fan of his so take that praise with a grain of salt)
Roughy
Smith
Goodes
Stevens
Etc

whythelongface
11-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Probably been said many times before but he reminds me of Dustin Fletcher.

Roughie seems to be very poised and as he gets more confident will set up many plays from FB.

This has been a really good move by the coaching team. Kudos to them.

Bulldog4life
11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Probably been said many times before but he reminds me of Dustin Fletcher.

Roughie seems to be very poised and as he gets more confident will set up many plays from FB.

This has been a really good move by the coaching team. Kudos to them.

Agree totally. To turn a ruckman into a full back is certainly one out of left field and should be applauded.

bornadog
11-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Agree totally. To turn a ruckman into a full back is certainly one out of left field and should be applauded.

Except as a junior he was a fullback that went into the ruck due to his height.

Bulldog4life
11-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Ah didn't know that.

whythelongface
11-04-2013, 03:39 PM

True but he excelled as a ruck in his latter junior years and we drafted him as a ruckman. Obviously the coaching staff realised his potential as a backman, knowing that he played there as a junior, and gave him this opportunity.

bornadog
11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
True but he excelled as a ruck in his latter junior years and we drafted him as a ruckman. Obviously the coaching staff realised his potential as a backman, knowing that he played there as a junior, and gave him this opportunity.

Overall a good move.

ratsmac
11-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Loved what Roughy has brought this year. Just hope he can keep it going.