PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Paddy pushes through

bornadog
11-04-2013, 03:57 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-04-11/powerful-paddy-pushes-through)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/259646-tlsnewslandscape_zpsb74b167f.jpg

Freakish goals, bursts of speed and executing impossible kicks are all in Patrick Veszpremi’s arsenal but in season 2013 the young forward is seeking a more elusive trait, consistency.

Such is the 23-year-old evolving maturity, Veszpremi has recognised a more disciplined lifestyle will help him become a more rounded and improved footballer.

“Key focuses for me were just getting fit running wise and getting my [skinfolds] down, which I did… I changed a few things outside of footy and got more consistent in life,” Veszpremi said.

“[The coaches] know I can kick goals and I can do all that other stuff, it’s just building the base.

“[My plan is]to be hard around the stoppages, just get my ten hard efforts a week – once I can do that consistently and show the coaches that, everything else comes together.”

Veszpremi is adamant he has plenty more to give at senior level and is determined to use the VFL as a platform to validate his worth - not only with his goal sense and natural flair but also his improved efforts off the ball.

“I do have a lot to show still. I think the last two years have been a really big learning curve for me and I have put a lot of time into my footy and I have invested a lot more,” he said.

“In the end it’s up to me. It’s just head down bum up work, really.”

Looking to Club veterans for motivation, Veszpremi has been pushing himself harder in the pre-season and learning to better deal with his own personal expectations.

“I definitely think this year has been better psychologically – when I am feeling sore at training to just keep pushing through,” he said.

“You look at the older boys – they don’t play 14 years for no reason… you just have to try to model yourself on them.”

Veszpremi used the offseason as a chance to get a head start on pre-season training, incorporating boxing, crossfit and endurance running into a robust training regime.

“I was doing extra boxing… and that was also to help me get tougher too – come out with a few bruises,” he said.

“Doing a lot of cross fit… also doing a lot more running, running with weight vests and things like that - mixing it up and trying to improve my endurance.”

While Veszpremi recognises his endurance will probably never be elite, the 23-year-old has made a conscious effort to continue building on his aerobic capacity to run out games better.

“Obviously I am never going to be a massive endurance player but if I can get it to a certain point, my power and speed can come out in games,” he said.

“To get to a point where if I want to burst I can burst instead of being too tired, with a good recovery rate.”

Off the field, Veszpremi is often getting away from the city and football to fly fish and take respite.

He also recently volunteered to visit the Royal Children’s Hospital alongside Mark Austin and Fletcher Roberts, as part of the Good Friday Appeal.

“As football players, people do look at you a bit differently, so you may as well use it for something good,” he said.

“Just to talk to the people and give something back to them was something that I really got a lot out of and I really did enjoy – and the kids love it.

“Especially the teens, you get into them about who they barrack for and 90% are Collingwood - so you give them a bit of stick about that,” he joked.

Keen to make the hospital visit a more regular occurrence, Veszpremi was humbled and grateful for the experience.

“It was eye opening to see, I am alive and still kicking and breathing – there are kids who are two years old and they have been in [the hospital] for the whole two years.”

“It was a really good day and is something everyone should get behind and try to do.”

WIN the opportunity to go on a fishing adventure with Patrick Veszpremi and Lukas Markovic at the Sons of the West Trainers’ Function this Friday 12 April 2013, at Whitten Oval.

Bulldog Revolution
11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Definitely looked the fittest Ive seen him preseason, so hopefully he keeps working at it

A bit of luck can go a long way at times, perhaps he just needs a bit.

bornadog
11-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Still only 23 years old, love to see him make it into the best 22. Needs to kick goals and force his way in.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Can't fault his attitude.

LostDoggy
11-04-2013, 04:46 PM
At the couple of functions i've been lucky enough to go to through social club, Patty has always shown genuine care in talking to you and comes across as a ripping bloke. I hope he can put it together for everyones benefit.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
At the couple of functions i've been lucky enough to go to through social club, Patty has always shown genuine care in talking to you and comes across as a ripping bloke. I hope he can put it together for everyones benefit.

Seconded. One of the nicest guys I've come across in the AFL.

I'm not sure where he fits in though. Has he been training/playing as a forward? I think it's his best chance, but he's behind Gia/Higgins/Dickson.

bornadog
11-04-2013, 05:21 PM

I'm not sure where he fits in though. Has he been training/playing as a forward? I think it's his best chance, but he's behind Gia/Higgins/Dickson.

Gia's last year, he needs to eye off his spot and force him out. Especially in the second half of the year.

ratsmac
11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Gia's last year, he needs to eye off his spot and force him out. Especially in the second half of the year.

True dat! Gia is probably the only player at our club Ves can beat in a 100 metre sprint. Both Gia and Ves could not play in our forward line at the same time. So your right bornadog Ves would have to wait for Gia to retire or to be injured before he gets a look in.

Ves is almost a forgotten player on our list it seems. He could just be a late bloomer. I'm glad he can clearly see where he has to improve and sounds very upbeat despite being overlooked even during the NAB cup.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I can't see him on the list in 2014. Just does not do enough.

Would be terrific if he did come good, but he has been in the system as long as J Grant and they have both been overtaken. I would think the match committee have Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat all ahead of both.

AndrewP6
11-04-2013, 07:01 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-04-11/powerful-paddy-pushes-through)

“Key focuses for me were just getting fit running wise and getting my [skinfolds] down, which I did… I changed a few things outside of footy and got more consistent in life,” Veszpremi

“I do have a lot to show still. I think the last two years have been a really big learning curve for me and I have put a lot of time into my footy and I have invested a lot more,” he said.

“I definitely think this year has been better psychologically – when I am feeling sore at training to just keep pushing through,” he said..”

I think these bolded bits say it all. It's taken this long at two clubs for the penny to drop that hard work is required. I'm glad he's making changes, and would be great to see him make a go of it, but I would be surprised if he's kept on the list past this year.

KT31
12-04-2013, 09:04 AM

If none improve on last weeks performances it won't be long for Paddy to get a crack.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Sounds like he is determined to get the best out himself and is addressing his weaknesses. Hopefully he becomes our neon Leon Davis.

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 05:37 PM
That is a great read. Fantastic to see his attitude and I hope his determination to succeed pays off. I am sure Macca would be impresed.

Dancin' Douggy
14-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Vez showed a lot of class for Willy yesterday. Just needs to build that tank.
Needs to do a 'Jobe Watson' on himself.

then again......................who knows what Jobe actually did?

Mofra
14-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Certainly did his career no harm this weekend, thought he looked good

jeemak
18-04-2013, 01:49 AM
Vez showed a lot of class for Willy yesterday. Just needs to build that tank.
Needs to do a 'Jobe Watson' on himself.

then again......................who knows what Jobe actually did?

There's no secret to it, Jobe just worked his arse off and applied himself. From what I've been told/gathered he just immersed himself in managing his fitness to capitalise on every opportunity to improve. When he had the capacity to complete extra running sessions, he did. When he was able to take some time to complete a half hour of serious boxing, he did that. He became meticulous in his recovery.

Vesz looks the best I've seen him over the weekend (which is a shame, because he's carrying the body of a 20 year old that is just starting to learn, rather than a 24 year old that has already), and it's little surprise his performance was one where he was able to give himself opportunity to finish with his exceptional finishing skills.

Hopefully it's not too late for him, because he's a very talented footballer, and like Mof said he's done himself no harm with his most recent performance.

Maddog37
18-04-2013, 02:55 PM
What surprised me with Vez on the weekend was just how good his kicking really is. It is elite and a joy to watch.

He also looked more clear in the mind than I have seen before. He always seems so troubled.

It would be a great story and a strong endorsement for the coaching staff if he can come good.

Ghost Dog
18-04-2013, 02:59 PM
What surprised me with Vez on the weekend was just how good his kicking really is. It is elite and a joy to watch.

He also looked more clear in the mind than I have seen before. He always seems so troubled.

It would be a great story and a strong endorsement for the coaching staff if he can come good.

And we'd get one up on Sydney. Come ON VESPA!

KT31
19-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Thought Vez may have been a chance this weekend, but still not in.

Mofra
19-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Thought Vez may have been a chance this weekend, but still not in.
Worrying - didn't feature much over the pre-season either.

Have his papers been stamped? If he keeps performing at VFL level the MC will have no choice but to select him.

Bulldog Joe
19-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Worrying - didn't feature much over the pre-season either.

Have his papers been stamped? If he keeps performing at VFL level the MC will have no choice but to select him.

Possibly both he and Grant need to perform consistently before being considered. They have been in the system a long time and, unlike those with credits for long term performance, they are probably carrying a few long term debits.