PDA

View Full Version : Just having fun with trade week.

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2007, 07:36 PM
This is what I think will happen.

Trade 1.

Hudson > WB
Callan > WB
Pick 22 (WB) > Ade
Pick 27 (Ade) > Gee
Pick 34 (Gee) > Ade
Pick 54 (WB) > Gee
Pick 66 (Gee) > WB

WB
Gain: Hudson, Callan, pick 66
Lose: Pick 22, pick 54

Ade
Gain: Pick 22, pick 34
Lose: Hudson, pick 27

Gee
Gain: Pick 27, pick 54
Lose: Callan, pick 34, pick 66

Trade 2

Kennedy and pick 20 for pick 5

Trade 3

Power, pick 38 > NM for picks 32 & 48

We end up with Hudson, Callan, Kennedy, pick 20, pick 32, pick 48 & pick 66

The picks are all slight improvements on our 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th rounders, so we've basically got three players for pick 5 and Power.

It seems like I'm the only Bulldog supporter who actually thinks the Kennedy trade is a good one. Getting over the slag-off-Carlton hysterics, he's a big kid that can play.

We have no guarantees that our pick 5 selection either. Melbourne could easily take McEvoy at 4 and is there really any other key forward worth taking at 5?

LostDoggy
05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Sockeye, I agree with your assessment of Kennedy.

Dont know about the trading of the picks, but we could do worse than pick him up....

Mofra
05-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Sockeye, overall that wouldn't be a bad result for us, and is probably fair to the other clubs involved.

Alot would rest on just how well Kennedy develops. I'm not totally convinced by him, however I don't think (even with the amount of draft scrutiny today) no 5 pick will be a lock by any means.

Dogs 24/7
06-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Kennedy would be OK because he is ready made to break into a senior line up like ours.
I dont get Trade 3 but is it just to improve the pick selections ? Wouldn't we want a player with some senior experience to replace Power ?I thought the list was a bit light on for experience last year and I think we at least need to consider that with any trade.

mjp
06-10-2007, 09:05 AM
It seems like I'm the only Bulldog supporter who actually thinks the Kennedy trade is a good one. Getting over the slag-off-Carlton hysterics, he's a big kid that can play.

We have no guarantees that our pick 5 selection either. Melbourne could easily take McEvoy at 4 and is there really any other key forward worth taking at 5?

I would swap Kennedy for pick 5.

LostDoggy
06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
MJP, I see youve said the same thing on BF.

What do you see as Kennedys strengths/weaknesses?

The Coon Dog
06-10-2007, 09:30 AM

mjp, you're the casting vote. We have a choice of Josh Kennedy or Ben McEvoy, who do we take?

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I dont get Trade 3 but is it just to improve the pick selections ? Wouldn't we want a player with some senior experience to replace Power ?I thought the list was a bit light on for experience last year and I think we at least need to consider that with any trade.

I only included the Power trade because he's asked for a trade and there was some BF rumour about North. What is he worth? Personally, I'd say not much, but apparently there are about 4 clubs interested in him.

I thought pick 48 and a slight 3rd round upgrade was around the mark.

I would expect Power and Callan would just about cancel each other out.

LostDoggy
06-10-2007, 10:13 AM

I thought you disliked those East Freo types?

Go_Dogs
06-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Is it looking more likely that we will trade on pick 5 again? For what it's worth, I don't think we'll trade on pick 5.

LostDoggy
06-10-2007, 11:25 AM
i hope it doesnt happen

i dont like kennedy, nor do i think he would be any good at our club, id rather see harbrow in there every week.

I think this might happen/what i wanna see

Kennedy & Pick 3, 20 > WCE
Judd > Carlton

McMahon & Pick 38 > Adelaide
Hudson & Pick 27 > Bulldogs

Sam Power > Brisbane
Pick 25 > Bulldogs

And if we were to get Damon White..
White > Bulldogs
Pick 25 & 54 > Port

LostDoggy
06-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry to poo poo that one but I don't think McMahon is going anywhere.
Also you don't want Kennedy but you trade for White?
If you get pick 25 for Power I'd be happy but I doubt it.

LostDoggy
06-10-2007, 01:03 PM
They dont think McMahon is going anywhere but we might need to use him if we want Hudson.

White we can give a go, put him on a 2yr deal and see if we can use him as a key forward..

Although Rocket mentioned he will be developing Minson up forward, so im looking fwd to that.

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2007, 02:07 PM
i hope it doesnt happen

i dont like kennedy, nor do i think he would be any good at our club, id rather see harbrow in there every week.

I think this might happen/what i wanna see

Kennedy & Pick 3, 20 > WCE
Judd > Carlton

Quite possible, although I understand that the reason we were involved was because Kennedy didn't want to go back to Perth.

McMahon & Pick 38 > Adelaide
Hudson & Pick 27 > Bulldogs

No need to pay this much for Hudson. McMahon has indicated he wants to stay and is about to sign a new 2 year deal.

Sam Power > Brisbane
Pick 25 > Bulldogs

Daylight robbery, take it and run. Won't happen though.

And if we were to get Damon White..
White > Bulldogs
Pick 25 & 54 > Port

"Fit but doesn't contest" I think the quote was. 25 & 54 is too much. If you said Power and 54, maybe (same thing).

Topdog
06-10-2007, 02:47 PM
It may sound silly but if Adelaide want a player for Hudson I'd tell em to go jump. If we lose out on him via the PSD than so be it but to lose a player of Jordan's quality for someone who we probably have a +70% chance of getting for nothing is suicide.

Mofra
06-10-2007, 04:08 PM
I would expect Power and Callan would just about cancel each other out.
Haven't seen too much of Callan, but from what I have seen I'd take Callan in the side over Power any day of the week. I really think a smaller, hard nosed BP who can move into the midfield is needed, despite Power having some beautiful disposal at times (when he is not handballing to player under more pressure than he is).

mjp
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
i hope it doesnt happen

With no disrespect, do you really think Kennedy and Harbrow (names start with Capital letters you know!) would be fighting for the same spot?

Kennedy Strengths: Marking, Marking, Marking.
Kennedy Weaknesses: 'Footy smarts' (doesn't always seem to lead or kick to the right spot).

No, I dont usually like 'East Fremantle types' (otherwise referred too as East Fremantle SCUM), but why all the negativity about a young, developing kpp tall who has been:

1/.Playing in a side with an inexperienced and often under fire mid-field.
2/.Shown an ability to actually take a contested mark at senior level.

McEvoy or Kennedy? Gee, I dont know. The thing about pick 5 is it is such an unknown - any of about 10 guys could be selected before pick 5, and I would be sorely tempted just to do the deal and move on. Kennedy was a number 4 overall selection a couple of years ago and has had 2 years of AFL 'experience' (weights, training etc) put into him already...with McEvoy we would be starting from scratch.

The Coon Dog
07-10-2007, 08:10 PM
McEvoy or Kennedy? Gee, I dont know. The thing about pick 5 is it is such an unknown - any of about 10 guys could be selected before pick 5, and I would be sorely tempted just to do the deal and move on. Kennedy was a number 4 overall selection a couple of years ago and has had 2 years of AFL 'experience' (weights, training etc) put into him already...with McEvoy we would be starting from scratch.

Just goes to show it's not as easy as people often seem to think.

Be interesting the discussion between Eade & Clayton re: this. Obviously Eade gets the final call, but Clayton must have enormous input.

As a recruiter you spend 12 months scouring the country for the best player you can get with your first pick. Surely from a recruiters perspective the temptation must be great to not relinquish that pick.

As a coach you want the BEST possible outcome. If you relinquish that first pick it must be deflating on a personal level for the recruiter.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Not trying to be a smart arse but hasn't Everitt shown more in his 1 year than Kennedy?

I just cant help but feel that Clayton can find someone better than Kennedy at #5 - who in my estimations has struggled to adapt to AFL level, and not shown that much yet. Now I realise it takes key position players a while and he may be ready to explode - but the feeling I get is that Carlton are not sold on him, and they've had him for two years.

And a tall with no footy smarts sounds a little too much for me like DBandy for my money

mjp
08-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, all of that might be fair enough, but:

Everitt is basically playing as a mid-sized running defender, not a key-forward. So comparing what he has done with Kennedy is a bit unfair I would have thought.

In terms of saying he has 'no footy smarts', I have not said that. All I said was he didn't always seem to lead or kick to the 'right' spot. This could mean a number of things though - one of which could be the fact that when he eventually gets possession he had led 3 or 4 times and it was the fault of the players up the field. To me, this is the thing about his game that stands out as a negative. He kicks it OK, attacks the ball, and is a beautiful mark...

Daniel Bandy comparison? I dont think that is applicable in any way.

As a 20 year old, he has kicked a few decent bags of goals at VFL level, and done OK at AFL level in a graveyard of a side...worth pick 5? As I have said, I really dont know. I would do it though, but I can see why others wouldn't. I simply dont understand the abuse being directed at a 20 yo kpp who is trying to make his way at AFL level in the bottom side...

Go_Dogs
08-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm of the impression that Eade prefers to draft and develop his own list of players, and perhaps he wouldn't be keen to chase youngsters who have been in another system, such as Carlton's, for a few years. That said, he seems quite keen on attracting players from 'successful', winning sides. Or more developed/experienced players.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Well, all of that might be fair enough, but:

Everitt is basically playing as a mid-sized running defender, not a key-forward. So comparing what he has done with Kennedy is a bit unfair I would have thought.

In terms of saying he has 'no footy smarts', I have not said that. All I said was he didn't always seem to lead or kick to the 'right' spot. This could mean a number of things though - one of which could be the fact that when he eventually gets possession he had led 3 or 4 times and it was the fault of the players up the field. To me, this is the thing about his game that stands out as a negative. He kicks it OK, attacks the ball, and is a beautiful mark...

Daniel Bandy comparison? I dont think that is applicable in any way.

As a 20 year old, he has kicked a few decent bags of goals at VFL level, and done OK at AFL level in a graveyard of a side...worth pick 5? As I have said, I really dont know. I would do it though, but I can see why others wouldn't. I simply dont understand the abuse being directed at a 20 yo kpp who is trying to make his way at AFL level in the bottom side...

The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't really seem like Kennedy has hit the ground running as quickly - but I completely agree - a key forward role is far harder to hold down as a kid than a half back flank/wing, so it may be that comparison is compltely unfair.

I admit the Bandy comparison sounded harsh, although it wasn't really meant like that -
but the reason I thought of him was that Bandy for me was one who seemed to have trouble reading particularly where to kick it once he got it. Kennedy is probably nothing similar - and sounds much stronger overhead.

Perhaps its just I feel the club will have someone in mind for #5 and will be unlikely to trade the pick. If I were running the club I would have an almost etched in stone policy of not trading first round draft picks - Draft and Develop would be my modus opperandi.

Bulldog Revolution
08-10-2007, 12:41 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=52247

WESTERN BULLDOGS
"The Draft Camp has been very interesting; the group has very great character and I've been really impressed with the interviews. So that augurs well for bringing in some really solid people. Clubs haven't got consensus or quite the same opinions, it's a wide open draft, so there are a lot of opportunities to do well, but you've just got to pick the right ones. It's not an obvious draft, so the skill will certainly be in identifying people that are going to develop in three or four years' time. We just aggressively look to approve our list every year, that's our mindset, so through the trade and draft period that will be no different. Like all drafts, we want a good mix. We want to pick some height, but we also want to pick some good quality midfielders as well."
Recruiting manager Scott Clayton.