B : Goodes Morris Picken
HB: Cooney Roughead Young
C: Lower Cross Smith
HF: Wallis Jones Gia
F: Murphy Minson Dickson
R: Cordy Liberatore Griffen
INT: Dahlhaus Higgins Wood Macrae Stevens Markovic Johannisen

Last Time
Nab Challenge Match, 2013- Richmond 14. 8 92 defeated Western Bulldogs 12. 11 83
An impressive result with two strong sides on the park, the Dogs led all day in sloppy conditions before giving up a few late ones to let the game slip. We all know you can’t take too much from the Nab challenge but with senior lineups on display the player v player results were impressive. Morris returned to do a fine job on Riewoldt and new boy Lower stopped the Tiges captain. Jones was impressive up front as was Murphy, while through the middle we all salivated hearing Griff picked up 30 and Cooney 24 touches on their way to impressive displays.

2012 Rd 20- Richmond 22.18 150 defeated Western Bulldogs 12.8 80
Bests:
Richmond: Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt, Edwards, Martin
Bulldogs: Boyd, Murphy, Giansiracusa

Major Goal Kickers:
Richmond: Riewoldt 5, Edwards 4, Cotchin 3, Mcguane 3, Grigg 2, King 2
Western Bulldogs: Giansiracusa 3, Lake 2, Skinner 2

We were comprehensively beaten toward the end of 2012 by the Tiges, in what was a game symbolic of where we were at. It was a debut for Jong and Roberts while names like Lake, Skinner, Hooper, Djekurra and Sherman all featured in our 22. The Tigers had double the scoring shots, smacked us in uncontested possession 272 to 211, disposals 394 to 321. The most telling stat though was disposals per goal, only 18 for the Tiges compared to 27 for the dogs. For us it was the old boys putting their hands up, Boyd won plenty of footy and Gia was the only real threat on the forward line while that core group of Tiges in Cotchin, Deledio, Martin and Riewoldt were all great, winning the footy and putting it through the sticks while the underrated Edwards was a jack in the box.

Brownlow Votes:
3. Cotchin 2. Edwards 1. Grigg

Previous Games
Although the Tiges won the last impressively our boys have dominated the yellow and black. The last 10 outings have seen 8 Bulldogs wins, 1 draw and 1 win to the Tiges…time to right the wrong of 2012!
Formline

The Doggies have been impressive so far with a dominant win over the hyped Lions and a hard fought loss to the rigid Freo. It’s been some of the new boys leading the way so far: Libba has just about been best on in both, Roughead looks like a 200 game full back, Wallis has continued on his way while the new mature foursome have all played their roles well.
Tigers supporters finally think this year will be theirs for a return to the finals. While they can only win over who they’ve played neither the Saints or Blues have a win yet so I’m taking them with a grain of salt. Having said that a win over us would give them their best start to a season since the 80’s.

Matchups
Riewoldt V Morris: Roughy has done a wonderful job at fullback drawing praise from all but Riewoldt is a slipper customer more suited to being handled by the glove. Morris has the pace and athleticism to go with Jack on the ground and the tenacity to match him in the air. Richmond aren’t as one dimensional as they have been but shut down the blonde full forward and the road to goal seems a lot longer

Lower V Cotchin: Cotchin is a Rolls Royce and brownlow favourite, Lower deserves first crack. He has done wonderful jobs the past few weeks on Rich and Mundy but the Tiges captain is a step up again. His clearance work is very good but he makes his money on the outside, lace out footy to the Tigers forwards has been the his forte so far so Nick needs to stop his run and disposal
Picken V Deledio: I’d be sending Liam to Brett wherever he goes. Has got into the Tigers head a few times and Deledio has struggled historically with a hard tag. Shut him down and we stop a lot of their run

Griffen V Tuck/Newman/Grigg: There is no real stopping player in the Tiges lineup but after last week I can’t see them not playing a stopper on our prime mover. Griffs work on the inside is highly underrated, wins a lot of the hard footy but it’s his linebreaking and run and carry that really stings opposition. Need a big game from Ryan after a disappointing one last week.

Minson V Maric: I’m not sure too many thought these big boys would end up two of the games premium ruckman. It’s a mouth watering clash in the ruck, Minson has become a genuinely good hit out merchant willing to bash and crash around the ground while Maric is an athletic big guy more than willing to run and link who can also float up forward and take a grab.

Jones & Cordy V Rance & Chaplin: Richmond have two very good big guys at the back, all I’m asking for from our young key big men is a contest and attack on the footy.

My Prediction:
I like our chances in this one, the Tiges have a very good, young team but we match up well. It will once again be a battle of the midfields, the smooth moving, classy Richmond mids who look very good on the outside with their disposal and pace doing battle against an equally young Bulldogs midfield who make up for what they lack in disposal with willingness to attack the ball and man. It is the old fashioned clash of polish and class against grit and aggression. If we do get up it will be through dominating the contested footy and clearances to get the ball outside to the rejuvenated Cooney and Griffen. I like the way our backs match up, Roughy should look to dominate Vickery while Young is a nice physical match for Mcguane who was very good early last week. We need a spread of goal kickers again but if Higgins, Murph and Gia can get on the board I like our chances.

Fingers crossed…Dogs by 5….and no I didn’t forget do it for Crossy boys, a more respected and cherished man you wouldn’t meet amongst Bulldogs people. If anyone deserves to be chaired off after a win its our boy Daniel

Greystache
11-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Good job Lemmon.

Looking forward to this week. I genuinely think we can win and will be disapointed if we don't.

wimberga
11-04-2013, 10:11 PM
Fantastic write up Lemmon, really enjoyed it and look forward to these each week.

I really do agree with a lot of posters on here that we match up very well on paper:

Minson v Maric
Morris v Riewoldt
Roughead v Vickery
Lower v Cotchin
Picken v Deledio

I really think if we at least break even on those match ups, our other players around the ground are capable in giving us the win. I also believe that they dont really have a solid match up for Murph and am really expecting him to bounce back on last week.

Lemmon - it really is interesting to note that in the same fixture last year we had all of Lake, Skinner, Hooper, Djekurra, Sherman, Jong and Roberts playing. When you look at our team now and think that these guys have been replaced by Lower, Stevens, Goodes, Smith, Cooney and a few others, it really does bolster our chances.

Go_Dogs
11-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Great work on the preview Lemmon, agree that we're a real chance this week and I'm confident if we play well we can win this one. We do match up well and should be able to create a bit more space to work in against Richmond than we did against Freo.

Our tall forwards have a bit of height on Chaplin which we need to exploit but we also need to be wary of him running forward. Lower shutting down Cotchin will go a long way to us winning the game, so hoping he backs up again with a good game.

Bulldog Revolution
11-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Fantastic write up Lemmon, really enjoyed it and look forward to these each week.

I really do agree with a lot of posters on here that we match up very well on paper:

Minson v Maric
Morris v Riewoldt
Roughead v Vickery
Lower v Cotchin
Picken v Deledio

In the practice game three weeks a go these were cracking matchups, apart from I dont remember if Picken went to Deledio

The difference in the game was bits of class of Cotchin, Martin, Deledio and Edwards. We should take more belief into this game and our skills and execution have got better.

I want to see us take it right up to Richmond and knock them off. I hate losing to Richmond, for the past 20 years its been an indicator of being crap, and I just won't accept it - its not acceptable, we cant accept it (sorry channeling a bit of Terry Wallace from the Year of the Dog)

bornadog
11-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Nice write up Lemmon, your matchups are spot on. Not sure if Picken will go with Deledio but I think he should.

Richmond have been smashed in the contested footy the last two weeks yet they have won both games. We need to make sure they don't get us on the spread and our forward pressure must be visible or they will hurt us on the rebound like Freo did last week. This game wiull played very differently than last week and maybe more like the Brisbane game which should fall right into our laps.

The Adelaide Connection
12-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I think (as will be the story of our year) we will win the midfield battle, the defence will hold their own, but the delivery going forward will be the deciding factor.

Richmond, like Freo, can really hurt you on the counter when the opposition turn it over. Not getting all nervy about how to score and bombing it aimlessly and giving their rebounding defenders the ball on a platter will be critical.

I feel like this game is like a Grand Final for our membership numbers. An upset win could get us to 30,000 whereas a loss (with a tough away game to Adelaide the following week) could really pour cold water on the brilliant first round (even if I think there is a lot to be excited about).

jeemak
12-04-2013, 01:11 AM
Great write up Lemmon. Thought you nailed a lot of the match ups.

Just a query though, do you think we'll struggle by not playing Minson in the ruck, and by not having a rover (Liberatore) or ruck rover (Griffen)? :D You also seem to have omitted Cordy!

Not sure we'll have the pace to keep up with Richmond, and will need to ensure we are very organised around stoppages and take every opportunity to expose a tendency they have to be scored against easily when their midfield is quiet.

lemmon
12-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Great write up Lemmon. Thought you nailed a lot of the match ups.

Just a query though, do you think we'll struggle by not playing Minson in the ruck, and by not having a rover (Liberatore) or ruck rover (Griffen)? :D You also seem to have omitted Cordy!

Not sure we'll have the pace to keep up with Richmond, and will need to ensure we are very organised around stoppages and take every opportunity to expose a tendency they have to be scored against easily when their midfield is quiet.

Ohhhh, nice spot, shall edit. Just making sure you were paying attention :D

F'scary
12-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Thank you for the preview, Lemmon.

The Silver Gumby says: Dogs will win! Because Tigers will run out onto the ground with the same mindset the Lions had. Psychologically, they are already thinking about the big game next week against Collingwood.

Ozza
12-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Will be interesting to see if Jackson goes to Griffen, or whether he plays as a defensive half forward on Cooney.

Tom Liberatore is leading the league in clearances - so will also be worth watching if the Tigers have gone to school on him and have a plan for him at the stoppages. Perhaps Tuck will try and get himself next to/in front of Libba at the stoppages.

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Cheers Lemon, like most have said and I agree you've nailed the match ups. Very optimistic we will put in a good show here. D Martin is the only other ace they have that hasn't been mentioned, would love Clay to go with him in the middle, little concerned if he goes forward. Hopefully our mids work back well and chop out.

always right
12-04-2013, 01:54 PM
In the practice game three weeks a go these were cracking matchups, apart from I dont remember if Picken went to Deledio

The difference in the game was bits of class of Cotchin, Martin, Deledio and Edwards. We should take more belief into this game and our skills and execution have got better.

I want to see us take it right up to Richmond and knock them off. I hate losing to Richmond, for the past 20 years its been an indicator of being crap, and I just won't accept it - its not acceptable, we cant accept it (sorry channeling a bit of Terry Wallace from the Year of the Dog)

In the practice match Picken went to Nahas and stitched him up. Like everyone else I'd like to see him go to Deledio but it's possible he might go to Edwards if Macca wants him in defence.

Also worth noting that in the practice match Petterd went to Murphy. There doesn't seem to be an obvious match-up for Murph so I expect Petterd to get the job again.

The one that might slip through is Martin. He generally plays well against us and I'm not sure who will get him.....perhaps Goodes when Martin plays forward and Wallis when he moves into the middle.

lemmon
12-04-2013, 02:46 PM
In the practice match Picken went to Nahas and stitched him up. Like everyone else I'd like to see him go to Deledio but it's possible he might go to Edwards if Macca wants him in defence.

Also worth noting that in the practice match Petterd went to Murphy. There doesn't seem to be an obvious match-up for Murph so I expect Petterd to get the job again.

The one that might slip through is Martin. He generally plays well against us and I'm not sure who will get him.....perhaps Goodes when Martin plays forward and Wallis when he moves into the middle.

I think they might start Jackson on Murph, just has a bit more size to him than Petterd and that straight line speed to go with Murph

always right
12-04-2013, 03:29 PM
I think they might start Jackson on Murph, just has a bit more size to him than Petterd and that straight line speed to go with Murph

I think Murph would leave Jackson in his wake for pace. Surely Jackson goes to Griffen....who else do they have?.....maybe Conca.

Ozza
12-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I couldn't imagine a scenario where Jackson picked up Murphy....I would love that to be the match up...but Jackson would need a motor bike to get near Bob.

Petterd wouldn't have the tank to stay with Bob - he will get Grimes or Morris, and either way its a concern for the Tigers.

always right
12-04-2013, 04:24 PM
I couldn't imagine a scenario where Jackson picked up Murphy....I would love that to be the match up...but Jackson would need a motor bike to get near Bob.

Petterd wouldn't have the tank to stay with Bob - he will get Grimes or Morris, and either way its a concern for the Tigers.

Personally I think Petterd will get Murphy because quite frankly there is no-one else.

Morris tends to get the most dangerous small forward so I expect him to take either Dahlhaus or Gia. Grimes doesn't have the pace or agility to go with Murphy, Houli is too short, and Rance simply isn't smart enough. I guess Batchellor is a chance but I think he lacks pace and isn't the smartest player either.

I expert to see the following;
Petterd to Murphy
Grimes to Cordy
Chaplin to Jones
Houli to Gia
Morris to Dahlhaus
Deledio to our sixth forward...perhaps Higgins, Dickson or hopefully Picken if want to engineer that matchup.

Not sure what they will do with Rance. Richmond might play him on our sixth forward and push Deledio up to the wing.

Ozza
12-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Personally I think Petterd will get Murphy because quite frankly there is no-one else.

Morris tends to get the most dangerous small forward so I expect him to take either Dahlhaus or Gia. Grimes doesn't have the pace or agility to go with Murphy, Houli is too short, and Rance simply isn't smart enough. I guess Batchellor is a chance but I think he lacks pace and isn't the smartest player either.

Petterd to Murphy
Grimes to Cordy
Chaplin to Jones
Houli to Gia
Morris to Dahlhaus
Deledio to our sixth forward...perhaps Higgins, Dickson or hopefully Picken if want to engineer that matchup.

Not sure what they will do with Rance. Richmond might play him on our sixth forward and push Deledio up to the wing.

I hope you're right. Because Petterd can't play. Welll....he certainly is a long way from being a proven half back...and he'd be taking on a very very good/smart footballer.

Hoping you are, indeed, always right!

lemmon
12-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Final side, Wood in JJ out

bulldogsman
12-04-2013, 07:53 PM

Petterd to Murphy
Grimes to Cordy
Chaplin to Jones
Houli to Gia
Morris to Dahlhaus

Rance is Richmond's best tall defender, he will play on Cordy or Jones. Chaplin has been the loose man at times also, plus he's better suited to the 3rd talls.

G-Mo77
13-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Great preview lemmon.

I agree, we match up well with Richmond and I'm also a little optimistic about this one.

Interesting to note that I just noticed on CH7 our odds are $4+ I don't like betting on my own team but it's tempting.

bornadog
13-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Spoke to. Roughead tonight and he is picking up Vickery with Morris on Riewoldt