PDA

View Full Version : Would you have Callan Ward back?

Ghost Dog
12-04-2013, 08:00 PM
If he wanted to come back, should Callan Ward be welcomed back at the club?

Twodogs
12-04-2013, 08:12 PM
With open arms. He oozes leadership.

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Without a doubt!! Would be our next skipper. Just so tough.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes I would.

SonofScray
12-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Logic would suggest yes. But I could never support him in a Dogs jumper again, the way he played in that last game for us and the build up to his departure has soured my view of him and damaged my love for the Club (albeit briefly).

Why has this been brought up? Any news to suggest he might want out of GWS?

Greystache
12-04-2013, 08:27 PM
He signed a 5 year contract. Ask me again in 3 years

AndrewP6
12-04-2013, 08:31 PM
No, he preferred to line his pockets rather than stick with us when we really needed him. All well and good if that was his attitude towards our club, but I won't forget what truly motivates him.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2013, 09:01 PM
The question should be with our developing list, should we pay his asking price and have to let others go. I would rather buy a KPP with what would be needed to secure him. Different question though...

LongWait
12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Yes, with some reservations - on our terms ... but he's no Daniel Cross.

lemmon
12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
No, he preferred to line his pockets rather than stick with us when we really needed him. All well and good if that was his attitude towards our club, but I won't forget what truly motivates him.

This, its probably vindictive but I hate seeing him run out for the Giants, his name has a black mark through it for me

SonofScray
12-04-2013, 09:40 PM
This, its probably vindictive but I hate seeing him run out for the Giants, his name has a black mark through it for me

Yep. Could have been an immortal in Red, White and Blue. Just a nobody now.

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Bulldogs through and through? It's a no for me, I don't think he would be good value.

bulldogsman
12-04-2013, 10:12 PM

This for me. Obviously the money is more important to him.

jeemak
12-04-2013, 10:17 PM
We'd sell/trade just about any one of our players into a poorer situation if it meant we'd benefit.

Footy's changed.

I didn't like the fact we left him exposed, and I didn't like the way he handled the situation, he shouldn't have played the last game.

If attaining his services at a price that wasn't detrimental to our overall list I'd take him back in a second. He's a gun.

LostDoggy
12-04-2013, 10:18 PM
No, he has no loyalty except to the filthy lucre. Plus it would cost an absolute fortune to bring him back.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Nope.

Other issues aside, he's a good player, but he certainly isn't "one of a kind" -- there's plenty of good inside mids drafted each year.

Might be different if he was a good KPP, since they don't grow on trees.

Ghost Dog
12-04-2013, 11:31 PM
For what it would take to get him, we could develop another 5 or 6 Luke Dahlhaus types - rookies showing potential. I'd say no, just because I can imagine the price tag involved.

Anyway, the tri-colour witches of Footscray probably put a curse on him, so damaged goods beware.

Remi Moses
13-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Yep. Could have been an immortal in Red, White and Blue. Just a nobody now.

He'd need to play for the Western Sydney wanderers to be a "somebody " up there.

Remi Moses
13-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Nope.

Other issues aside, he's a good player, but he certainly isn't "one of a kind" -- there's plenty of good inside mids drafted each year.

Might be different if he was a good KPP, since they don't grow on trees.

Agree entirely with these sentiments.

G-Mo77
13-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Nope. We'd have to pay through the nose to get him back. We have similar players here who are equal, maybe better than him anyway. I'd rather spend the money on a player who's skills we really need.

Honestly I don't see him as a former Bulldog, just another player who I don't care about on another team.

FrediKanoute
13-04-2013, 07:28 AM
I just think that you never go back. He made his decision, time to move on.

hujsh
13-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Depends on form, what he wants, what we have to give up for him and the position of our list like any player.

LostDoggy
13-04-2013, 08:00 AM
Out of curiosity, What made you start this thread? Is he unhappy at GWS?
Or are you a sadist who loves to cut open old scars? I honestly hadn't given him a thought for 8 months.

westdog54
13-04-2013, 08:35 AM
For me I don't think he'd be a 'required player' per se once his contact with GWS is up. We're doing ok for tough, hard at it, courageous inside midfielders who have leadership written all over them.

His departure may become a blessing in disguise, in that we managed to land two very classy players, plus trading for Lake gave us a 3rd.

Borderline call but at this stage it would be a 'no' from me as well. Having said that, like Stasche said, ask again in 3 years.

Ghost Dog
13-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I started this thread as it was being hotly debated in another thread. Was keen to see what everyone thought. Pretty much split down the middle. As Westdog said, I'm not that scarred by it, as we landed two great players plus the Lake trade. The jury is still out on those trades, but we have enough toughness to win the midfield, even against top 8 sides, and a few top 4 sides. Roughy has carried himself very well against two of the best forwards in the comp. We don't really miss Lake or Ward as much as I thought we would.

chef
13-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Don't want him back, ever. Plus if he does come back to Vic it will be to whoever offers the most $$$.

Could have been very rich playing for the Dogs, but chose to be very, very rich playing elsewhere.

jeemak
13-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Don't want him back, ever. Plus if he does come back to Vic it will be to whoever offers the most $$$.

Could have been very rich playing for the Dogs, but chose to be very, very rich playing elsewhere.

Or he could have spent his first year on a new (significantly smaller) Dogs contract with a knee blow out, only to be set back twice with two subsequent blow outs all but ruining his ability to secure a large contract let alone play in the future after his three years was up...............

His long term future significantly benefited and became more assured by his decision to move away from our club.

chef
13-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Or he could have spent his first year on a new (significantly smaller) Dogs contract with a knee blow out, only to be set back twice with two subsequent blow outs all but ruining his ability to secure a large contract let alone play in the future after his three years was up...............

His long term future significantly benefited and became more assured by his decision to move away from our club.

I guess thats why I love guys like Grant, Griffen etc so much. Not a selfish bone in their bodies.

The Doctor
13-04-2013, 12:21 PM
without question.

jeemak
13-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I guess thats why I love guys like Grant, Griffen etc so much. Not a selfish bone in their bodies.

I'll always love them for that as well, but I won't get jaded or bitter long term over a player making a decision like Ward did.

He's a professional sports person, he made a reasonable decision in my view. We as supporters are happy to accept the ruthlessness of the professional era of football when it suits our club, but sometimes that acceptance isn't dispersed in equal measures when it doesn't.

LostDoggy
13-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Though I would take him back way before Lake!

Eastdog
13-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Though I would take him back way before Lake!

It would have been good if Lake stayed on but at the end of the day he wanted to make the move and plus his getting older now in footballing terms. Ward and Harbrow even though they aren't the best going around they would have been handy players to hang on too.

strebla
13-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I have said yes but on our terms if he wants to come back I am open to discussion.

LostDoggy
13-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Would have to be on our terms. I hold no grudge against Callan for leaving. He is a professional sports person who needs to ensure he makes the most of a professional sports person's working life. For him, this meant accepting a highly lucrative, long-term contract from another team as opposed to doing a "Chris Grant" and potentially becoming an all-time Bulldogs legend. If, at the end of his current contract, Callan wants out of GWS, I'd only have him back if he would actually make an on-field impact, the trade is a win-win (ie. Lake to Hawthorn) and we can afford to pay him the going rate without other players having to take a pay cut. In any case, the fact that he's previously worn our great jumper would have no bearing on picking him up again.

EasternWest
13-04-2013, 01:21 PM
I'll take any player that can make our team better and more likely to win a flag.

Eastdog
13-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I'll take any player that can make our team better and more likely to win a flag.

Ditto

Mofra
13-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Yes, absolutely yes.

Gun, plays a hard style so would fit in well with B-Mac's plans - can rotate forward too.

immortalmike
13-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Nah one-paced inside mid with suspect skills, surplus to our needs...;)

westbulldog
13-04-2013, 08:49 PM
No, he has no loyalty except to the filthy lucre. Plus it would cost an absolute fortune to bring him back.

totally agreed. Loyalty rates highly with our supporters and compared to the likes of Chris Grant, Rohan Smith, Brad Johnson and Scott West he doesn't rate at all. Good luck to him but we don't want him back.

LostDoggy
14-04-2013, 12:18 AM
I'll always love them for that as well, but I won't get jaded or bitter long term over a player making a decision like Ward did.

He's a professional sports person, he made a reasonable decision in my view. We as supporters are happy to accept the ruthlessness of the professional era of football when it suits our club, but sometimes that acceptance isn't dispersed in equal measures when it doesn't.

Ater some time to let the wound heal, I don't blame him, but I'm not going to congratulate him either. He stood and made a decision on where his loyalty lies, and now he must stand by that decision. Once you've been bought, my friends…

jeemak
14-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Ater some time to let the wound heal, I don't blame him, but I'm not going to congratulate him either. He stood and made a decision on where his loyalty lies, and now he must stand by that decision. Once you've been bought, my friends…

The time will come as we develop our list, when we will offload a player to suit our needs, and put them in a situation that is not as conducive to their long term prospects as the one from which they were sold.

I expect at this time the same level of outrage towards off-loading said player will be levelled at the club as what's been levelled at Ward now, in the past and in the future.

The sooner our club and supporters realise we're not dealing with anything other than a business, the supporters will expect better governance from the club when it comes to securing its talent, and the club will act accordingly.

WB4Life
15-04-2013, 09:38 AM
in a heart beat... all would be forgiven!!!!

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 09:44 AM
The time will come as we develop our list, when we will offload a player to suit our needs, and put them in a situation that is not as conducive to their long term prospects as the one from which they were sold.

I expect at this time the same level of outrage towards off-loading said player will be levelled at the club as what's been levelled at Ward now, in the past and in the future.

The sooner our club and supporters realise we're not dealing with anything other than a business, the supporters will expect better governance from the club when it comes to securing its talent, and the club will act accordingly.

I understand your argument*!— that footy is a business, a cut-throat industry run by the almighty dollar — and wouldn't disagree with you. But that's not footy to me. I would expect the club to welcome Ward back with open arms. They just won't be my arms.

stefoid
15-04-2013, 09:46 AM
He won the lottery - they made him a once in a lifetime offer - when opportunity knocks, you answer.

If he left GWS and came back to us once his 5 year contract was up, that would be great!

KT31
15-04-2013, 09:53 AM
If the coach at the time thought he was the difference between winning a flag, I would swallow my pride and cheer for him in a Doggie's jumper.

craigsahibee
15-04-2013, 10:05 AM
In a heartbeat.

F'scary
15-04-2013, 02:34 PM
As Adelaide Coach Brenton Sanderson said about Kurt Tippett's walk out:

"As far as I'm concerned, we are already ahead on this deal...because we just got rid of a bloke who didn't want to play for this club."

But yeah, I'd take Ward back. (My opinion would be different if we were on top of the ladder.)

F'scary
15-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Speaking of Tippett, would you want someone playing for you who says things like (commenting on which gurnsey he wears with Sydney)?

"I'm not superstitious but I've always been an even number."