PDA

View Full Version : Jake Stringer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dancin' Douggy
13-04-2013, 10:51 PM
OK.
So some of you will have watched the willy game and some of you may be relying on second hand reports.
Well..... We have an absolute gun on our hands with Jake.

Allow me a small detour if you will..........

Many years ago I bought a two storey, solid brick house in kensington that had a HUGE structural crack in it. This crack was big enough to put a fist through, and was visible from the street in it's facade. Anyhow....... everyone that came to visit, all my friends and relatives, commented with great concern about the crack. In fact the crack was so bad it went through the entire house, and I often wondered if I'd been a damn fool buying the place. Trucks would thunder over the level crossing in the middle of the night, and I'd jolt out of bed, certain the wall had finally collapsed.

BUT, I had consulted a structural engineer before the purchase, and he had said the thing was much worse than it looked. In his opinion it had stopped moving and you could basically fill it with mortar and not think about it again.

After a while, I came around to the thinking that the crack was not a negative, but a positive. In fact, without the crack, I wouldn't, in a million years ever have been able to afford that house. And I did fill the crack with mortar, and 15 years later, there's no discernible movement. The house was a bargain and an absolute rock solid, once in a lifetime, investment. Tripled in value in 4 years............. and that was just the start.

So..... the parallel is that Jake Stringer's broken leg is a blessing for the dogs.

Man....that guy would be the number 1 pick by a thousand miles if he hadn't broken his leg.

He did it all today. Smashing packs. Big contested one grab marks. Superb leads. breaking tackles, perfect passes to players in position. He had patience, poise, skill, power and aggression in perfect balance.
In fact, he often spotted up players who weren't even leading, and made them look better by his decision making and disposal. (Looking at you J. Grant).
When he kicked for goal he just had that beautiful effortless style of a true champion.
Think Plugger, Dunstall, Brown. And they just sailed through.

I AM GOD DAMN EXCITED.

(Jackson Macrae was probably best on ground today I know, but this rant is about Jake)

MrMahatma
13-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Tidy

LostDoggy
13-04-2013, 11:43 PM
You've gotten me excited!!

Ghost Dog
14-04-2013, 12:03 AM
Keep a lid on it lads! ( by the way, I love your enthusiasm and the metaphor Dancing Dougy )

LostDoggy
14-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Keep a lid on it lads! ( by the way, I love your enthusiasm and the metaphor Dancing Dougy )

Bugger it, just this once, blow that lid sky high boys

Greystache
14-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Great post DD

I just urge one thing, patience young padawan.

lemmon
14-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Haha love it DD...but lets all just be calm

boydogs
14-04-2013, 01:42 AM
Just watched the replay of the first three quarters. He's not ready for AFL yet, wouldn't last two quarters. Showed a nice glimpse of what's in store though.

Go_Dogs
14-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Great post DD, enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see Stringer doing the same at AFL level soon.

Dog54
14-04-2013, 09:10 AM
I think his fitness is not quite there yet, although he should be considered as a sub as he is definitely an impact player

boydogs
14-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I think his fitness is not quite there yet, although he should be considered as a sub as he is definitely an impact player

It's tempting but I wouldn't, the sub may be needed to play the whole game if someone goes down early. He can only play for 5 minutes at a time at the moment.

The Underdog
14-04-2013, 01:16 PM
We really don't need to rush him. He's still working back from a hugely traumatic injury. Let him play consistent VFL footy and get his fitness up. The risk of rushing him is way too high. In 5 years nobody will care that he had to wait. Patience people...
He did look great though.

F'scary
14-04-2013, 02:02 PM
We really don't need to rush him. He's still working back from a hugely traumatic injury. Let him play consistent VFL footy and get his fitness up. The risk of rushing him is way too high. In 5 years nobody will care that he had to wait. Patience people...
He did look great though.

Just as long as he doesn't have to wait 5 years.

F'scary
14-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Dancin Dougy: your words confirm my suspicions as to his ability. There must be a few in the senior side looking over their shoulders.

Mofra
14-04-2013, 03:31 PM
He will take time, but by god he will be worth the wait.

Buddy & Pendles were both pick 5 in their drafts ;)

bulldogtragic
14-04-2013, 04:11 PM
I haven't been this excited by a KPF VFL performance since Nathan Saunders ;)

Dancin' Douggy
14-04-2013, 08:38 PM
I'll say it now.
Stringer will be better than both of them. Yes I said it.

Dancin' Douggy
14-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Did you see him?

LostDoggy
14-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Amazing talent. Once he's got fitness up he will gain memberships off his own exploits.

Rocco Jones
14-04-2013, 09:59 PM
It's going to be a tough balance between our short and long term gain when it comes to Stringer.

I know modern footy places an ever growing importance on fitness but IMO Stringer is in our best 22 even now. Look who he is up against up forward, he would do more before he got tired then guys like Gia and Higgins over a whole game. However, I think it's pretty clear his long term development would be best served by him gaining fitness and form playing in the VFL for a few weeks.

Hotdog60
14-04-2013, 10:01 PM
It's going to be a tough balance between our short and long term gain when it comes to Stringer.

I know modern footy places an ever growing importance on fitness but IMO Stringer is in our best 22 even now. Look who he is up against up forward, he would do more before he got tired then guys like Gia and Higgins over a whole game.

I know footy has changed a hell of a lot but C Grant did ok as a youngster.

Rocco Jones
14-04-2013, 10:04 PM
I know footy has changed a hell of a lot but C Grant did ok as a youngster.

Very different to Chris Grant. Frame wise I think he is way more ready than Granty was. Has like what? 30 kgs on him as a rookie. My concerns are not with him being a youngster, it's getting his leg/aerobic fitness up.

Hotdog60
14-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Very different to Chris Grant. Frame wise I think he is way more ready than Granty was. Has like what? 30 kgs on him as a rookie. My concerns are not with him being a youngster, it's getting his leg/aerobic fitness up.

Plant him in the forward pocket and tell not to go outside fifty.:D

Rocco Jones
14-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Plant him in the forward pocket and tell not to go outside fifty.:D

Haha just after we invent a time machine to take him back to 1983.

ratsmac
15-04-2013, 12:19 AM
I agree with most. He done some great things but he looked like he blew up pretty quickly too. No need to rush him in, we aren't going to be world beaters for a while. Let him develop his fitness at VFL level and then step it up to the AFL. If he played next week I wouldn't be disappointed either, but as long as the coaches and fitness staff believe it's beneficial for his development and of course the team's overall structure.

Dry Rot
15-04-2013, 01:10 AM

Your memory is ****ed.

You've forgotten the great Trent Barlett, nemesis of Carlton.

jeemak
15-04-2013, 01:43 AM

I know modern footy places an ever growing importance on fitness but IMO Stringer is in our best 22 even now. Look who he is up against up forward, he would do more before he got tired then guys like Gia and Higgins over a whole game. However, I think it's pretty clear his long term development would be best served by him gaining fitness and form playing in the VFL for a few weeks.

He's the real deal, without any doubt. But exposed against the better defenders who are just as strong as he is, and as quick he is he'll be lucky to get his hands on it like he did on Saturday.

Give him time, he's not ready yet.

BulldogBelle
15-04-2013, 02:40 AM
The Williamstown Match Vs Coburg is still in ABC iview. You go to sports then VFL.
I think its available to everybody on demand.
There is a nice piece about Stringer at the end of the match.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/program/32331

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 12:23 PM
You brought a smile to my face on a Monday Morning DD :) thanks for the summary and even stronger hope for the future!

bulldogtragic
15-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Your memory is ****ed.

You've forgotten the great Trent Barlett, nemesis of Carlton.
My apologies DR. It was between Saunders and the Ugg for my comment, but I'm not sure even the Ugg played a decent VFL game. Anyhow,

Bring Back Bartlett!

MrMahatma
15-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Stringer and Jones KPFs. Can we put the Ayce experiment to one side?

Mofra
15-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Stringer and Jones KPFs. Can we put the Ayce experiment to one side?
Most teams will evolve to the R2 position beign a forward.
See Tigers - R2 Vickey, Riewoldt no 1 tall, McGuane tall support.

We'll end up with a similar set up. R2 Cordy, Jones no 1 tall, Stringer tall support.

always right
15-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Most teams will evolve to the R2 position beign a forward.
See Tigers - R2 Vickey, Riewoldt no 1 tall, McGuane tall support.

We'll end up with a similar set up. R2 Cordy, Jones no 1 tall, Stringer tall support.

Interesting that in the last two weeks the opposition has matched up on Dickson as if he is our third tall. In Freo's case, Johnston went to him and on Sunday, Chaplin was generally Dickson's man. Normally a small forward can exploit these types of players with pace. Unfortunately Dickson lacks the explosiveness required. He's a trier but rarely manages to get a break on opponents. One of a number of one-paced players in our side. Stringer would be a perfect third tall.

wimberga
15-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Interesting that in the last two weeks the opposition has matched up on Dickson as if he is our third tall. In Freo's case, Johnston went to him and on Sunday, Chaplin was generally Dickson's man. Normally a small forward can exploit these types of players with pace. Unfortunately Dickson lacks the explosiveness required. He's a trier but rarely manages to get a break on opponents. One of a number of one-paced players in our side. Stringer would be a perfect third tall.

I see what you are saying but make no mistake, Stringer will not be getting the third best defender once he gets his body right....

always right
15-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I see what you are saying but make no mistake, Stringer will not be getting the third best defender once he gets his body right....

Not suggesting he would be the third best forward....the third tall is typically the one who is tall without being key position size.

Cyberdoggie
15-04-2013, 06:13 PM
I think ideally Stringer needs to come in with Cordy and Jones.
Cordy being the 2nd ruckman/Deeper forward, and Stringer and Jones mixing it up as marking options.

It does slow us down and make us more top heavy but we've seen how Jones and Cordy have struggled as a twosome because they aren't dominant enough to do the job just yet.
A third tall option would greatly help them out and i think it would straighten up our forward movement running play through the middle.

Of course this has a flow on effect to our smalls as well. If the talls are taking marks, no doubt the smalls will find it a lot easier.

The other concern is what to do with Williams.
In that VFL game his first possesion was a nice pickup, turn with pace and run, then he dropped the ball and barely got a touch the rest of the game.
It wasn't until the third quarter where we saw stringer really turn it on, and of course he played Grant into the game as well.

Perhaps between the 4 of them we can find a regular 3 pronged attack.
If we don't have the speed of other teams then we need target who can mark the ball or at least provide a contest to straighten us up. Otherwise we'll just be trying to hug the boundary looking for a stoppage in the forward line to hopefully snare a goal.
You can't win games against teams if this is the only way you can kick goals.

I think we'll see either/or Macrae and Stringer fairly soon.

bulldogsman
15-04-2013, 07:37 PM
The other concern is what to do with Williams.
In that VFL game his first possesion was a nice pickup, turn with pace and run, then he dropped the ball and barely got a touch the rest of the game.

I thought he had a good 1st qtr and got a bit of it in the 2nd. I think he had something like 12 touches, bit harsh. It certainly did not deserve a promotion though.

Scorlibo
15-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Not suggesting he would be the third best forward....the third tall is typically the one who is tall without being key position size.

He's key position size.

Dancin' Douggy
15-04-2013, 08:37 PM
You brought a smile to my face on a Monday Morning DD :) thanks for the summary and even stronger hope for the future!

my pleasure alexxx.

Mofra
15-04-2013, 08:55 PM
I think we'll see either/or Macrae and Stringer fairly soon.
Macrae really should come in this week. I am convinced he is ready.

Just on the forward set-up, in an ideal world it would probably look like:

HF: Stringer Jones Stringer
F: Stringer Stringer Dahlhaus

Hotdog60
15-04-2013, 08:59 PM

:):D:D:);)

Remi Moses
15-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Stringer Jones Tom Boyd .
Love to see that

bulldogsman
15-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Stringer Jones Tom Boyd .
Love to see that

Jack Billings would be nice as well.

Dancin' Douggy
15-04-2013, 10:23 PM

That forward set up looks pretty good.
Not sure about Dahlhaus or Jones though............

angelopetraglia
16-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Check out the highlights package .... impressive http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-04-16/stringers-five-goal-haul.workstation

bornadog
16-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Check out the highlights package .... impressive http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-04-16/stringers-five-goal-haul.workstation

Love the last goal, the backman tried to give him a hard time and he just shrugged him off and ran for goal. Exciting.

LostDoggy
17-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Love the last goal, the backman tried to give him a hard time and he just shrugged him off and ran for goal. Exciting.

I reckon number 3 for Coburg will be playing for Bulla twos this week.

KT31
17-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Very excited to know what is coming in a year or two, hope the Club take their time and don't rush him.
Seemed to be stretching a cramp out with the last one.

LostDoggy
17-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Interesting that any number of posters seem to think that we just pop Stringer in the side and he'll kick goals. But what we have to ask is - what role do we see him playing in he future. Do we see him as a Jonathon Brown type who plays FF and CHF and covers a lot of territory. In which case, he is nowhere near fit enough. He is extremely raw and under done for AFL footy, if that is what we want of him.

If we think his role is to just run around the forward line on his own then we don't understand today's footy. The opposition would kill us on the rebound as he doesn't appear to have the capacity to run and run and run all day like a Nick Reiwoldt. So where do posters see him playing such that his presence won't hurt us defensively?

And how will he work with Jones? Do we see Jones as the primary goal kicker? It will take some time before they can complement each's role in the forward line, and if one is not fit enough I can see that hampering the development of the forward line as a whole, no matter how many goals he kicks.

So for mine, it will be how well he fits into and makes the forward team a well oiled productive and defensive unit under pressure, not just isolated acts of brilliance in kicking a goal or 2.

I also think that he has to learn how to protect his legs. Getting under packs and getting injured does the team no good if he can't play for weeks. Week in week out footy is very demanding on the body - I could see it happening with Dickson who plays a physical brand of footy as well as covering lots of ground.

I want him to be a long term champion as much as anyone but right now I'd rather he do the hard yards of getting aerobic fitness and muscle development before he goes out and kicks 5 and have the whole world tell him how good he is.

Cameo appearances at best for mine so he can get a taste of the pace of the game. He was given space at the weekend, and I'm sure that won't be the case at a higher level.

I'd rather he didn't become another Tom Williams, but I guess that really is in the lap of the Gods.

LostDoggy
17-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm interested to know how he is pulling up after these Williamstown games, and how he is operating at training following VFL games? Does anyone know?
A lot of people are commenting on his fitness but just wondering on the source of the info? I did watch the Coburg game and he seemed to move ok. Saw him tighten up a bit after the last goal but other than that I couldn't see him struggle in anyway. As he was rotated through the bench I noticed the trainers working on his calf but no different to what you see Griffin go through week in week out for the dogs.
I know he isn't at premium AFL aerobic fitness level but no one is for at least 3 preseasons. What are these issues that prevent him getting 1 or 2 games in over the next few rounds??

Ozza
17-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm interested to know how he is pulling up after these Williamstown games, and how he is operating at training following VFL games? Does anyone know?
A lot of people are commenting on his fitness but just wondering on the source of the info? I did watch the Coburg game and he seemed to move ok. Saw him tighten up a bit after the last goal but other than that I couldn't see him struggle in anyway. As he was rotated through the bench I noticed the trainers working on his calf but no different to what you see Griffin go through week in week out for the dogs.
I know he isn't at premium AFL aerobic fitness level but no one is for at least 3 preseasons. What are these issues that prevent him getting 1 or 2 games in over the next few rounds??

Good post Hairy.

Stringer played a fair bit of footy in the midfield for Bendigo Gold and Bendigo pioneers (as well as Vic Country) last year. So chances are he probably has a better aerobic base than most key forwards in their first year. The club will know best, how he is going, and how to manage him.

Stringer has shown some good intensity defensively - and appears to enjoy tackling. I'm really keen to see him play - whenever the coaches feel is the right time. This weekend may be perfect, against the Crows, who's tall defenders don't hurt you the other way anyway.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Interesting that any number of posters seem to think that we just pop Stringer in the side and he'll kick goals. But what we have to ask is - what role do we see him playing in he future. Do we see him as a Jonathon Brown type who plays FF and CHF and covers a lot of territory. In which case, he is nowhere near fit enough. He is extremely raw and under done for AFL footy, if that is what we want of him.

If we think his role is to just run around the forward line on his own then we don't understand today's footy. The opposition would kill us on the rebound as he doesn't appear to have the capacity to run and run and run all day like a Nick Reiwoldt. So where do posters see him playing such that his presence won't hurt us defensively?

And how will he work with Jones? Do we see Jones as the primary goal kicker? It will take some time before they can complement each's role in the forward line, and if one is not fit enough I can see that hampering the development of the forward line as a whole, no matter how many goals he kicks.

So for mine, it will be how well he fits into and makes the forward team a well oiled productive and defensive unit under pressure, not just isolated acts of brilliance in kicking a goal or 2.

I also think that he has to learn how to protect his legs. Getting under packs and getting injured does the team no good if he can't play for weeks. Week in week out footy is very demanding on the body - I could see it happening with Dickson who plays a physical brand of footy as well as covering lots of ground.

I want him to be a long term champion as much as anyone but right now I'd rather he do the hard yards of getting aerobic fitness and muscle development before he goes out and kicks 5 and have the whole world tell him how good he is.

Cameo appearances at best for mine so he can get a taste of the pace of the game. He was given space at the weekend, and I'm sure that won't be the case at a higher level.

I'd rather he didn't become another Tom Williams, but I guess that really is in the lap of the Gods.

Ideally you would want to ease Stringer in as your third big tall. He doesn't have the size of a Jonathan Brown and looks on the shortish side to play as a permanent full forward. We do need goalkickers particularly now without Higgins and Dickson. Jones did well to snare 4 against Richmond but hasn't been a prolific goalkicker in the past. I was wondering if there is any support for moving Goodes forward where he did become a good player in recent years with Williamstown. Goodes reads the game so well and is a good finisher and could be quite lively in attack. Any thoughts!

Maddog37
17-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Ideally you would want to ease Stringer in as your third big tall. He doesn't have the size of a Jonathan Brown and looks on the shortish side to play as a permanent full forward. We do need goalkickers particularly now without Higgins and Dickson. Jones did well to snare 4 against Richmond but hasn't been a prolific goalkicker in the past. I was wondering if there is any support for moving Goodes forward where he did become a good player in recent years with Williamstown. Goodes reads the game so well and is a good finisher and could be quite lively in attack. Any thoughts!

Maybe switch Goodes in the future but I would prefer to work on a stable, cohesive back six for now. That's my two bobs worth anyway.

bornadog
17-04-2013, 05:39 PM

I think Goodes was recruited to play down back as he is a good kick, reads the play well and can run and deliver. He is also one of only two senior players down back.

F'scary
17-04-2013, 06:05 PM

He's taller than Ablett Snr & Dunstall, same height & weight as Lockett at the same age. Ablett & Dunstall got their first senior games age 20, Lockett age 17. Stringer is about to turn 19. We have got our hands on the greatest full forward since these three.

#%^* PLAY HIM NOW!!!!

bornadog
17-04-2013, 06:32 PM
He's taller than Ablett Snr & Dunstall, same height & weight as Lockett at the same age. Ablett & Dunstall got their first senior games age 20, Lockett age 17. Stringer is about to turn 19. We have got our hands on the greatest full forward since these three.

Today's youth is so much taller than the past. 190/191 is not considered a tall anymore. for example - even Chris Judd is 189cm.

So at best I believe he is the third tall in the forward line, but I agree, play him if he is fit.

MrMahatma
17-04-2013, 06:33 PM

#%^* PLAY HIM NOW!!!!
Better than Lloyd?

Handy.

Greystache
17-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Today's youth is so much taller than the past. 190/191 is not considered a tall anymore. for example - even Chris Judd is 189cm.

So at best I believe he is the third tall in the forward line, but I agree, play him if he is fit.

And Cale Morton is 192cm... Of fairy floss!

In some ways it comes down to body strength and the type of game they play. Stringer is very strong and plays a tall game, but I agree I don't think he'll ever be that pure key forward at 191cm.

lemmon
17-04-2013, 06:38 PM

This. Patton, this new boy Boyd, Sam Day, Tippet and Reid would all have been ruckman size even 15 years ago. He's the same height as Scott Pendlebury, these boys are getting bigger and bigger. He looks third tall size to me

F'scary
17-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Better than Lloyd?

Handy.

And...he doesn't throw grass into the air to see which way the breeze is blowing like Lloyd used to do inside Docklands when the roof was closed;).

F'scary
17-04-2013, 06:42 PM
This. Patton, this new boy Boyd, Sam Day, Tippet and Reid would all have been ruckman size even 15 years ago. He's the same height as Scott Pendlebury, these boys are getting bigger and bigger. He looks third tall size to me

Jones at CHF. Cordy FP. Stringer= 3rd tall at FF.

ratsmac
17-04-2013, 07:48 PM

#%^* PLAY HIM NOW!!!!

I am with you 100%

Stringer definitely plays tall. I am surprised that he is only 191cm. At 93kg and in his first year, he will monster a few defenders in a few years. He is the same height as Brendan Fevola. Brendan went alright at full forward, too bad he is a dickhead.

So what if Tippett, Reid, Franklin and the like are the new age size for forwards. Apart from Franklin (freak), those other tall forwards haven't exactly etched their names into the record books now have they?

Stringer is an ideal height for a full forward.

If we have put up with Cordy not touching the ball hardly, I sure we can give Stringer a bit of leeway to ease himself into the AFL system.

I'm excited!!

Dancin' Douggy
17-04-2013, 07:53 PM

this is true, but even when they were playing, Ablett and Glen Archer (to throw in another name) weren't tall as other KPP's and nowhere near ruckman size, this is the type of player we have on our hands with Jake.

Ghost Dog
17-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Great posting metal. Agreed - His 5 in the VFL were a good sign, but by no means transferable to AFL. Do a Geelong and make sure he's good and ready.

bornadog
17-04-2013, 09:32 PM
And Cale Morton is 192cm... Of fairy floss!

In some ways it comes down to body strength and the type of game they play. Stringer is very strong and plays a tall game, but I agree I don't think he'll ever be that pure key forward at 191cm.

True even our own Grant plays small and is around 192cm (without looking it up)

F'scary
18-04-2013, 01:58 PM
True even our own Grant plays small and is around 192cm (without looking it up)

Actually, we know he can take a nice grab. He has just lost it for the time being and plays like a gutless outside receiver. He just has to stop wandering round the field with that sagging shoulders, head bowed down, woe is me look (seen him in the team photo?), stand up straight to his full height, jostle and elbow his opponent, put his arms above his head and jump hard towards the long ball with his eyes following it all the way from the boot. Simple.

F'scary
18-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I am with you 100%

Stringer definitely plays tall. I am surprised that he is only 191cm. At 93kg and in his first year, he will monster a few defenders in a few years. He is the same height as Brendan Fevola. Brendan went alright at full forward, too bad he is a dickhead.

So what if Tippett, Reid, Franklin and the like are the new age size for forwards. Apart from Franklin (freak), those other tall forwards haven't exactly etched their names into the record books now have they?

Stringer is an ideal height for a full forward.

If we have put up with Cordy not touching the ball hardly, I sure we can give Stringer a bit of leeway to ease himself into the AFL system.

I'm excited!!

I am with you brother! And Fevola is a near contemporary who only went extinct a couple of years ago because his species Homo Dickheadii did not produce offspring when a suitable compatible species (Laraus Bingleii) was available.

And you're right. If Cordy, the majority of whose games have been played with the physique of a stick insect, has to be persevered with in the seniors, why not do the same with Jake "the Bean"* Stringer?

*Freebie and the Bean reference. Not Mr Bean.

Axe Man
18-04-2013, 06:31 PM
I haven't seen a hell of a lot of Stringer play but was thinking that Taylor Walker might be a decent comparison to Jake?

Walker 192cm 100kg 25-04-1990
Stringer 191cm 93kg 25-04-1994 (didn't realise they were both born on Anzac Day!)

Obviously Stringer has the body type that could easily put on the extra kgs that Walker has, although that may not be the best thing for him as this stage. Jake seems to have a few more strings to his bow (pun intended) than Walker, being a little more versatile with his ability to play through the midfield.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Walker can dominate games as he has at full forward I see no reason why Stringer can't as well given his considerable talent.

boydogs
18-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Walker can dominate games as he has at full forward I see no reason why Stringer can't as well given his considerable talent.

Yeah I don't buy the too short argument. He does need to work on his fitness though, if they put a gorilla defender on him he needs to be able to go up the ground and burn them off.

I would also like to make the point his propensity to work is there, he just needs the fitness to back it up.

Remi Moses
18-04-2013, 09:13 PM
I haven't seen a hell of a lot of Stringer play but was thinking that Taylor Walker might be a decent comparison to Jake?

Walker 192cm 100kg 25-04-1990
Stringer 191cm 93kg 25-04-1994 (didn't realise they were both born on Anzac Day!)

Obviously Stringer has the body type that could easily put on the extra kgs that Walker has, although that may not be the best thing for him as this stage. Jake seems to have a few more strings to his bow (pun intended) than Walker, being a little more versatile with his ability to play through the midfield.

Good points, it's folly to suggest he isn't "big enough" to play as a key forward.
The issue is we need multiple options. On what I saw in the last Under 18 champs I'd be stoked if we got Tom Boyd. Two big kp forwards to build a team around

chef
22-02-2017, 10:28 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=VEB0tSkwBns

Would love for this Stringer to return. How much more dangerous would we be hey.

chef
22-02-2017, 10:30 PM
Good points, it's folly to suggest he isn't "big enough" to play as a key forward.
The issue is we need multiple options. On what I saw in the last Under 18 champs I'd be stoked if we got Tom Boyd. Two big kp forwards to build a team around

You must be stoked Remi;)

Twodogs
22-02-2017, 10:31 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=VEB0tSkwBns

Would love for this Stringer to return. How much more dangerous would we be hey.

He'll be back. He loves playing like that too much for this Jake to be here too long I reckon.

Hotdog60
22-02-2017, 11:59 PM
A lot of those highlights Jake was hunting the ball or leading to the footy. That didn't seem to happen as much last year. Even his opponents seem to wait for the fend of play and most times he lost possession.

bornadog
23-02-2017, 12:05 AM
2016 highlights aren't bad either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPQZggM5K8g

Sedat
23-02-2017, 01:02 AM
I reckon less than 5 players in the entire competition could have kicked the goal that Stringer kicked in the last qtr of the GF. It was insanely difficult and his hands and mind were ridiculously clean and quick, not to mention the flawless finish by foot with only a fraction of a second to execute.

One of the best pressure goals I've ever seen considering how much heavy traffic was in the vicinity and how little time and space he had to firstly gather the ball and then to get it onto the boot. That one moment was worth 1,000 other nondescript moments from other players.

Mofra
23-02-2017, 10:05 AM
I'd say his injury affected him more than we really know. Would love for an injury-free Stringer to come out and dominate again

chef
23-02-2017, 10:39 AM
2016 highlights aren't bad either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPQZggM5K8g

They aren't 'bad', but he was not on the same level last season.

Twodogs
23-02-2017, 09:07 PM
They aren't 'bad', but he was not on the same level last season.

I'd be pretty stoked if they were my highlights but I get your point.

westdog54
27-02-2017, 07:12 AM
I reckon less than 5 players in the entire competition could have kicked the goal that Stringer kicked in the last qtr of the GF. It was insanely difficult and his hands and mind were ridiculously clean and quick, not to mention the flawless finish by foot with only a fraction of a second to execute.

One of the best pressure goals I've ever seen considering how much heavy traffic was in the vicinity and how little time and space he had to firstly gather the ball and then to get it onto the boot. That one moment was worth 1,000 other nondescript moments from other players.

I think his split second snap in the semi against Hawthorn was even better.

In even heavier traffic, off balance and actively trying to avoid a smother.

It was out of absolutely nowhere.

1eyedog
27-02-2017, 09:24 AM
I think his split second snap in the semi against Hawthorn was even better.

In even heavier traffic, off balance and actively trying to avoid a smother.

It was out of absolutely nowhere.

He had less time in that one he kicked in the Granny. He looks up and kicks around his body in the Semi in the Granny he just gets a ball in congestion from MaCrae and throws it on his boot.

Remi Moses
27-02-2017, 09:56 AM
You must be stoked Remi;)

Tom Boyd
Mr October

1eyedog
27-02-2017, 11:24 AM
I'd say his injury affected him more than we really know. Would love for an injury-free Stringer to come out and dominate again

This will be his year. For all his failings in games last year I believe he worked hard and learnt humility on the footy field. Made better decisions too rather than always getting caught etc. It was a real learning year for him. Another year of experience and with Crammers and Cloke to help out he'll be unstoppable this year. Could easily be in the top 10 players in the AFL at the end of the season. He could do anything, take mark of the year (it's going to happen at some stage) and kick 70 goals...

Twodogs
27-02-2017, 11:56 AM
This will be his year. For all his failings in games last year I believe he worked hard and learnt humility on the footy field. Made better decisions too rather than always getting caught etc. It was a real learning year for him. Another year of experience and with Crammers and Cloke to help out he'll be unstoppable this year. Could easily be in the top 10 players in the AFL at the end of the season. He could do anything, take mark of the year (it's going to happen at some stage) and kick 70 goals...

I wouldn't stop at 70. Can you get a bet on about who the next player to kick 100 goals will be? Jakey could do it. Not this season but in his twilight when he hasn't got the legs he used to and we play him out of the goalsquare almost exclusively.

1eyedog
27-02-2017, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't stop at 70. Can you get a bet on about who the next player to kick 100 goals will be? Jakey could do it. Not this season but in his twilight when he hasn't got the legs he used to and we play him out of the goalsquare almost exclusively.

I think he and Kennedy are the two most likely players in the comp to be the next one to kick 10 in a match.

Mofra
27-02-2017, 12:52 PM
I think he and Kennedy are the two most likely players in the comp to be the next one to kick 10 in a match.
Tom Lynch from Gold Coast. Could well be the best KPF this year. Beast.

Twodogs
27-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Lynch is a good prospect. He's no Tom Boyd but he's pretty good.

ratsmac
01-03-2017, 02:55 AM
Jessie Hogan looks likely to kick big bags this year. He is a great contested mark and reads the flight well. He's one player that makes me nervous when we play the dee's.

Jake had a lot going on last year with injury, form and private life. Hopefully this year things settle for him and he can get back to his best or even better. His highlight reel is craziness.

Topdog
13-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Call me crazy but I think he is going to have a monster year this season and be at around 70 goals.

Eastdog
13-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Call me crazy but I think he is going to have a monster year this season and be at around 70 goals.

It is a good prediction. Every chance to have a great season this year and boosted by the return on Crameri and the addition of Cloke. Was great to see last Thursday night particularly in the 2nd half how he approached it.

1eyedog
13-03-2017, 06:37 PM

Me too crazy

Throughandthrough
13-03-2017, 07:04 PM
wont kick 70 as he'll be playing more on the ball If he keeps fit he will be as valuable as Robbie Gray.

Topdog
14-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Me too crazy

haha dont know how I missed this.

wont kick 70 as he'll be playing more on the ball If he keeps fit he will be as valuable as Robbie Gray.

I'm not sure that he will be on ball much if at all. He should be in there as a pinch hitter, not even every game.

choconmientay
08-04-2017, 02:36 PM
On AFL Website: A complete package (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2017-04-07/a-complete-package), April 7, 2017

It was vintage Jake Stringer.

With six and a half minutes to play in last Friday night’s arm wrestle with Sydney, Stringer burst out the middle and launched one from just inside the centre square.

The crowd went up, as did that familiar one finger celebration and the game was over - the Dogs eventually running out 23-point winners over the Swans take their record to 2-0 on the season.

For the neutrals it was footy poetry, but for the Bulldogs fans it was something more.

By his own admission, the 22-year-old Stringer had an up and down 2016 season, despite his team’s success, he went into the offseason determined to grow his game, and so far, the signs are good.

To get to the next level as a player he wanted to add versatility and to do that, he needed to increase his running power.

Enter Lachie Hunter.

“I did a lot of running with Lachie, who’s an elite runner and one of my best mates,” he told SEN’s recently.

“He put me through the works during the pre-season, he really set me up to be able to run out games and to get myself into the midfield.

“It’s just a lot of hard work that’s got me to be able to go through the midfield and get a couple of kicks.”

Stringer returned looking svelte, yet powerful, and when coach Luke Beveridge has asked him to go into the middle of the ground this season, good things are happening.

In the two opening games of the season he has recorded career highs in disposals, marks and on the back of more time in the centre square, he has doubled his inside 50s.

So what does the future hold for Jake Stringer? Is he a lead-up forward, an explosive midfielder or is a it a combination of both – a player able to impact the contest for in all areas of the ground, across four quarters

He hasn’t had to look far for inspiration.

“[A versatile player is] something that I’m aspiring to be,” Stringer said.

“Bonti [Marcus Bontempelli] is at that stage where he can do that now so that’s where I’m trying to get my base to…. I just want to be as versatile as I can for the team.”

While the Stringer highlights package is as good as anybody’s, it’s his potential evolution into a more complete package that should really excite Bulldogs fans.
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/497038-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 31: Jake Stringer of the Bulldogs celebrates a goal during the 2017 AFL round 02 match between the Western Bulldogs and the Sydney Swans at Etihad Stadium on March 31, 2017 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Adam Trafford/AFL Media)

chef
13-09-2017, 09:16 AM
So what is everyone hoping we can get for him?

Im hoping the Sainters win the race and we can end up with pick 8. Seems like thats the best case scenario.

DOG GOD
13-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Kangas might be stupid enough to offer pick 4, but yeah saints with 8 might be the go if they don't land Kelly.

Topdog
13-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Was pick 5, been All Australian, kicked 40 in what is considered a poor year.

Minimum top 10 pick. Keep him if we dont get top 10 equivalent.

Mofra
13-09-2017, 09:52 AM

Im hoping the Sainters win the race and we can end up with pick 8. Seems like thats the best case scenario.
Richmond's two picks in the teens - we might need to throw something back their way.
Or try to nab a pick from Richmond for next year to give us extra points for Rhylee West bidding.

1eyedog
13-09-2017, 09:54 AM
If we lose Stringer surely we can't let Crameri go?

I'm hoping against hope that we have a massive king hit lined up this trade period Alistair Clarkson style.

comrade
13-09-2017, 10:04 AM
If we lose Stringer surely we can't let Crameri go?

I'm hoping against hope that we have a massive king hit lined up this trade period Alistair Clarkson style.

Nothing in JMac's track record suggests he is capable of it, and given that he's negotiating his own contract and may even be on the way out, well...it fills me with even less confidence.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Nothing in JMac's track record suggests he is capable of it, and given that he's negotiating his own contract and may even be on the way out, well...it fills me with even less confidence.

Do you really believe he is negotiating his own contract? Come on Comrade.

Topdog
13-09-2017, 10:23 AM

He means with the club not literally writing his own terms.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:24 AM
He means with the club not literally writing his own terms.

ok, fair enough, just sounded funny.

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Richmond's two picks in the teens - we might need to throw something back their way.
Or try to nab a pick from Richmond for next year to give us extra points for Rhylee West bidding.

They might also need an early pick for Naish.

comrade
13-09-2017, 10:28 AM

He's coming out of contract with the club, so yeah, I do believe he's likely negotiating with the club.

However if he's not negotiating a new contract with the club, then it probably means he's headed to another club which makes me even more concerned because the incentive to secure the best deal for Stringer for the Western Bulldogs will obviously not be as critical for him as it would be if he were staying long term.

1eyedog
13-09-2017, 10:29 AM
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/12/stringer-trade-talk-a-surprise-says-ex-dogs-skipper/

bornadog
13-09-2017, 10:36 AM
He's coming out of contract with the club, so yeah, I do believe he's likely negotiating with the club.

However if he's not negotiating a new contract with the club, then it probably means he's headed to another club which makes me even more concerned because the incentive to secure the best deal for Stringer for the Western Bulldogs will obviously not be as critical for him as it would be if he were staying long term.

I would hope he keeps up his professionalism.

Surely Chris Grant would have to approve any trade deals of this magnitude.

I know you are critical of JMac, but I am not sure why?

bornadog
13-09-2017, 11:00 AM

Ralphy says 1st rounder plus 3rd rounder

azabob
13-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Listening to Wayne Campbell on RSN this morning I get the feeling Kelly is staying at GWS.

This is a good thing for if Stringer is up for trade. Suddenly North, Carlton, Saints, Cats and Essendon all in the mix for Stinger.

1eyedog
13-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Listening to Wayne Campbell on RSN this morning I get the feeling Kelly is staying at GWS.

This is a good thing for if Stringer is up for trade. Suddenly North, Carlton, Saints, Cats and Essendon all in the mix for Stinger.

I reckon every other Victorian club in the AFL will contact the Jake Stringer camp tbh.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2017, 11:31 AM
I reckon every other Victorian club in the AFL will contact the Jake Stringer camp tbh.

But they will want to know the answer to this question too. Why are the doggies off loading him? A few phone calls will be made.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 11:33 AM

And a 4 year deal for Trengove, I imagine rules us out of Lever too. I wonder what's left of significant quality now?

ledge
13-09-2017, 11:40 AM
I get the feeling we are so quiet something along the Tom Boyd trade is going to happen.
Something huge.
Lever still intrigues me he is from Romsey and if it's a go home factor, it makes sense it's us.

Bullies
13-09-2017, 03:04 PM
And a 4 year deal for Trengove, I imagine rules us out of Lever too. I wonder what's left of significant quality now? A four year deal with big dollars for someone who couldn't get a consistent game at Port. He has been found out the past two years. I'm not sure 4 years is a good idea.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 03:07 PM
A four year deal with big dollars for someone who couldn't get a consistent game at Port. He has been found out the past two years. I'm not sure 4 years is a good idea.

It's in the hands of the football gods and JMac now. I'd prefer Lever, but JT is probably the next best defender who can ruck a bit. I will be very interested in what the dollars offered is.

Topdog
13-09-2017, 03:23 PM
A four year deal with big dollars for someone who couldn't get a consistent game at Port. He has been found out the past two years. I'm not sure 4 years is a good idea.

Big dollars? Where was that reported?

boydogs
13-09-2017, 03:27 PM
I get the feeling we are so quiet something along the Tom Boyd trade is going to happen

It's not trade week yet

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 03:38 PM
It's not trade week yet

Best part of a month to go.

Bullies
13-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Big dollars? Where was that reported? He is on $550k at Port so he won't come on less than that.

ledge
13-09-2017, 04:12 PM
He is on $550k at Port so he won't come on less than that.

He would be on nothing after last weekend wouldn't he if he is uncontracted officially unemployed.

Bullies
13-09-2017, 05:08 PM
He would be on nothing after last weekend wouldn't he if he is uncontracted officially unemployed.
you don't think he is going to walk out on Port if he doesn't already have another deal on the table as a free agent. He is not going to leave on less than what he was just contracted for which is apparently $550k. it is a lot of money to pay someone and give a four year deal to who struggled to get a game this year.

bornadog
13-09-2017, 05:14 PM

I thought player contracts go to end of October

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 05:43 PM
you don't think he is going to walk out on Port if he doesn't already have another deal on the table as a free agent. He is not going to leave on less than what he was just contracted for which is apparently $550k. it is a lot of money to pay someone and give a four year deal to who struggled to get a game this year.

But if he is maintaining a wage of $550,000 in light of roughly 20% wage rises through TPP increases is good if true. We'd be getting him on old CBA prices, going ahead for 4 years in the new CBA. I don't know the number, but $550,000 in what the new paradigm of player worth with much higher salary cap, would be a win for the club.

Bullies
13-09-2017, 05:48 PM
But if he is maintaining a wage of $550,000 in light of roughly 20% wage rises through TPP increases is good if true. We'd be getting him on old CBA prices, going ahead for 4 years in the new CBA. I don't know the number, but $550,000 in what the new paradigm of player worth with much higher salary cap, would be a win for the club. if he goes the 4 years playing 1's then well worth it. Anything like he has been the last two years then NO. Big risk and not many clubs putting their hand up for him either.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 05:57 PM
if he goes the 4 years playing 1's then well worth it. Anything like he has been the last two years then NO. Big risk and not many clubs putting their hand up for him either.

I'm not as certain other clubs weren't interested, as a free agent I'd expect numerous clubs would be interested. However, I'm certain that we've been very keen on JT, for a long time.

If the 'party club' tag is right, then JT is a perfect mature leader to help the group steer back to that dream of a dynasty.

Topdog
13-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Struggled to get a game????? Just a lazy 19 out of 23

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 05:59 PM

Was looking that up just now too. That's not that bad at all, in a team that nearly finished top 4.

kruder
13-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Was he in their best 22 at the business end of the season? He will get a three year deal there is no way the club will take the risk with 4.

ledge
13-09-2017, 06:12 PM

But he can't sign that deal yet and we don't know what the offer money wise was . We might have offered him 500k and with the pay rise over 4 years he would take it as it lengthens his career . Better to have 4 years at 500 than two or three at 550

ledge
13-09-2017, 06:14 PM
And if he wasn't getting a game it's hard for him to ask a lot.

Twodogs
13-09-2017, 06:38 PM
We don't know why he wasn't getting a game. Maybe Port found out he was talking to other clubs and dropped him? He played pretty well in the SANFL and when you look at who they played ahead of him in the final you start to wonder.

Rocket Science
13-09-2017, 07:07 PM
We don't know why he wasn't getting a game. Maybe Port found out he was talking to other clubs and dropped him? He played pretty well in the SANFL and when you look at who they played ahead of him in the final you start to wonder.

There are suggestions from Alberton this is the case. And plenty of public recriminations after the fact that he wasn't selected in their final.

Flamethrower
13-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Was he in their best 22 at the business end of the season? He will get a three year deal there is no way the club will take the risk with 4.

Many at Alberton were wondering why Jackson was not playing against the Eagles, and there is a strong belief that had he played Port would be heading to Spotless this weekend.

As for Stringer, if the club is trading him as he is no longer a required player with his current attitude, I doubt that we will get any more than a 3rd or 4th round pick

comrade
13-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Many at Alberton were wondering why Jackson was not playing against the Eagles, and there is a strong belief that had he played Port would be heading to Spotless this weekend.

As for Stringer, if the club is trading him as he is no longer a required player with his current attitude, I doubt that we will get any more than a 3rd or 4th round pick

Contracted and with 4 or 5 suitors? Please.

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 08:09 PM
WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he acted in the greater interests of the club in deciding to move on forward Jake Stringer.

In his first comments on the stunning split, Beveridge told the Herald Sun his premiership forward ultimately agreed he would be better suited elsewhere.

The only scenario which would see Stringer, 23, remain at the Bulldogs would be if a trade deal didn’t satisfy the club.

“Jake’s management and the club got together and both agreed we’d explore alternatives to him playing at the club and explore what’s right for his long-term future and the club’s,’’ Beveridge told the Herald Sun.

“It’s as simple as that ... I’m not going into details.”

Stringer’s football issues centre around a lack of professionalism in preparation, at training and the rehabilitation of injuries.
Luke Beveridge talks to Jake Stringer at Bulldogs training. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

They are compounded by a litany of off-field issues, ranging from his personal situation with his former partner, the stresses of being a young father, to behavioural concerns.

Beveridge conceded the decision to trade his one-time All-Australian forward was a tough one.

“It is because first and foremost I operate from a platform of care and duty to our players and I’ve got to look after the whole group,” the coach said.

“But when it comes to the point where both parties are saying maybe it’s best to explore somewhere else, it means then it’s right for that individual, but it’s also right for the group he’s going to leave behind.”

A worthy trade would have to be organised, Beveridge said.

“Ultimately, he’s still a contracted player,” he said.
Luke Beveridge after speaking to his players during Round 23.

“We’re not going to just say ‘Here you go, you can have Jake Stringer’. We’ve said to him, you’re going to play here mate if no one is going to treat you with the respect you should have as far as what you have achieved, because we need to do what’s right for the club as much as you as well.

“We’ll try to work it out together.

“You asked if it’s irretrievable. It’s not. Ultimately, (if) Jake is still playing at the football club, then we’ve just got to work through that next year, of maturity and what it looks like for him, and see how we go.’’

Stringer has kicked 160 goals in 89 games after being taken at pick No.5 in the 2012 national draft.

Essendon and Geelong are reportedly Stringer’s preferred destinations, although it’s understood several clubs have made inquiries to Stringer’s manager Paul Connors.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson said last week the Saints were interested in talking to Stringer.
Jake Stringer after injuring his hamstring in the loss to Port Adelaide.

Earning about $500,000 a season and with a year to run on his contract, the trade value for Stringer is anywhere between pick No.10 and pick No.25, depending on whether you highlight his qualities or deficiencies.

Connors refused to comment.

Beveridge said Stringer had unique challenges as a player and person and that the club had supported him through difficult times.

“Each player is presented with a different set of challenges,” he said.

“He’s obviously become a high-profile player very early in the piece and when you think of his life, having two young daughters, obviously going through settlement proceedings because he’s not married, and being a boy from the bush, and the city life ... he’s got a lot on his plate, a lot of challenges.

“And maybe it takes a little while to be able to get on top of those things. But he’s got unique challenges a lot of players haven’t had in the game.’’
Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Liberatore after the Bulldogs premiership.

Beveridge denied reports Stringer stormed out of his end-of-season exit interview.

“When I heard about it, I chuckled,” Beveridge said.

“He didn’t at all. We chatted more about family and future, he has two little girls and about what’s next for him, and we walked out as amicable as we ever have been.

“We’ve always had a good relationship, we still have, there’s no heat.

“The thing about exit meetings is there’s no surprises. Jake wasn’t surprised by anything we said or anything he mentioned to us in so far as what he’s going to work on and what are his strengths, so that was all fine.

“That was purely a fabrication.”

Sedat
13-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Like Bevo's response - honest without potting Jake.

Clubs are now welcome to pony up their offers

Remi Moses
13-09-2017, 08:13 PM

Come on . That's being silly

The bulldog tragician
13-09-2017, 08:13 PM
WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he acted in the greater interests of the club in deciding to move on forward Jake Stringer.

In his first comments on the stunning split, Beveridge told the Herald Sun his premiership forward ultimately agreed he would be better suited elsewhere.

The only scenario which would see Stringer, 23, remain at the Bulldogs would be if a trade deal didn’t satisfy the club.

“Jake’s management and the club got together and both agreed we’d explore alternatives to him playing at the club and explore what’s right for his long-term future and the club’s,’’ Beveridge told the Herald Sun.

“It’s as simple as that ... I’m not going into details.”

Stringer’s football issues centre around a lack of professionalism in preparation, at training and the rehabilitation of injuries.
Luke Beveridge talks to Jake Stringer at Bulldogs training. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

They are compounded by a litany of off-field issues, ranging from his personal situation with his former partner, the stresses of being a young father, to behavioural concerns.

Beveridge conceded the decision to trade his one-time All-Australian forward was a tough one.

“It is because first and foremost I operate from a platform of care and duty to our players and I’ve got to look after the whole group,” the coach said.

“But when it comes to the point where both parties are saying maybe it’s best to explore somewhere else, it means then it’s right for that individual, but it’s also right for the group he’s going to leave behind.”

A worthy trade would have to be organised, Beveridge said.

“Ultimately, he’s still a contracted player,” he said.
Luke Beveridge after speaking to his players during Round 23.

“We’re not going to just say ‘Here you go, you can have Jake Stringer’. We’ve said to him, you’re going to play here mate if no one is going to treat you with the respect you should have as far as what you have achieved, because we need to do what’s right for the club as much as you as well.

“We’ll try to work it out together.

“You asked if it’s irretrievable. It’s not. Ultimately, (if) Jake is still playing at the football club, then we’ve just got to work through that next year, of maturity and what it looks like for him, and see how we go.’’

Stringer has kicked 160 goals in 89 games after being taken at pick No.5 in the 2012 national draft.

Essendon and Geelong are reportedly Stringer’s preferred destinations, although it’s understood several clubs have made inquiries to Stringer’s manager Paul Connors.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson said last week the Saints were interested in talking to Stringer.
Jake Stringer after injuring his hamstring in the loss to Port Adelaide.

Earning about $500,000 a season and with a year to run on his contract, the trade value for Stringer is anywhere between pick No.10 and pick No.25, depending on whether you highlight his qualities or deficiencies.

Connors refused to comment.

Beveridge said Stringer had unique challenges as a player and person and that the club had supported him through difficult times.

“Each player is presented with a different set of challenges,” he said.

“He’s obviously become a high-profile player very early in the piece and when you think of his life, having two young daughters, obviously going through settlement proceedings because he’s not married, and being a boy from the bush, and the city life ... he’s got a lot on his plate, a lot of challenges.

“And maybe it takes a little while to be able to get on top of those things. But he’s got unique challenges a lot of players haven’t had in the game.’’
Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Liberatore after the Bulldogs premiership.

Beveridge denied reports Stringer stormed out of his end-of-season exit interview.

“When I heard about it, I chuckled,” Beveridge said.

“He didn’t at all. We chatted more about family and future, he has two little girls and about what’s next for him, and we walked out as amicable as we ever have been.

“We’ve always had a good relationship, we still have, there’s no heat.

“The thing about exit meetings is there’s no surprises. Jake wasn’t surprised by anything we said or anything he mentioned to us in so far as what he’s going to work on and what are his strengths, so that was all fine.

“That was purely a fabrication.”

I am relieved we have finally got some first hand information.

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 08:14 PM
Like Bevo's response - honest without potting Jake.

Clubs are now welcome to pony up their offers

It's now confirmed that the open for business sign is shining bright.

There is no fire sale, you're expected to pay full retail.

Doc26
13-09-2017, 08:19 PM
It's now confirmed that the open for business sign is shining bright.

There is no fire sale, you're expected to pay full retail.

Whilst maybe not a fire sale I expect that there will be a discount given for damaged goods, with no refund.

chef
13-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Not happy, but if Bevos had enough he must have burnt a fair old bridge.

josie
13-09-2017, 08:23 PM
Wowee. Thanks for post GVGjr. Beveridge clarifies matters so well and that stupid media innuendo of our club in crisis hopefully dies down. Hope whatever happens Club and Stringer and his family come out of this ok. He looked a little forlorn at vfl on Sunday. I trust Bevo has made right decision. Let's hope club stands tall and is not pushed into a losing deal. Geez wouldn't it be great to land Kelly or Lever or a heap of low draft picks so Dalrymple can weave his magic. Or keep Stringer and have him do a Dusty on us.....very unlikely we keep him methinks. 😔

Doc26
13-09-2017, 08:26 PM
Not happy, but if Bevos had enough he must have burnt a fair old bridge.

Bevo to the boys:

Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

comrade
13-09-2017, 08:27 PM
Bevo to the boys:

Cool hand Bevo.

Eastdog
13-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Come on . That's being silly

He still has currency so I think will still get a good deal.

KT31
13-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Cool hand Bevo.

Now I can be a nice guy, but if you trouble me, I can be a mean son of a bitch

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Wowee. Thanks for post GVGjr. Beveridge clarifies matters so well and that stupid media innuendo of our club in crisis hopefully dies down. Hope whatever happens Club and Stringer and his family come out of this ok. He looked a little forlorn at vfl on Sunday. I trust Bevo has made right decision. Let's hope club stands tall and is not pushed into a losing deal. Geez wouldn't it be great to land Kelly or Lever or a heap of low draft picks so Dalrymple can weave his magic. Or keep Stringer and have him do a Dusty on us.....very unlikely we keep him methinks. ��

Beautifully said, I hope we don't forget that while everything leads towards a Stringer departure we shouldn't forget he still needs some support during what will be a difficult time.
I'd hate to see him treated like Callan Ward was by some fans was when he departed and a grudge held onto.

Eastdog
13-09-2017, 08:39 PM
I trust Bevo has made this decision in our club best interests. For some reason it hasn't worked out for Jake with us and Bevo feels he would be better off elsewhere. I said in another post on another thread that it will be annoying if he is better with another club but hopefully that won't be an issue as will get something very good in return.

Webby
13-09-2017, 08:42 PM
I don't see the panic in all of this. If we get the right price for him (we'll want a first round pick - the best we can get, which will be anything from pick 4 to pick 20 odd.

If we don't get offered that, Jake serves out the last year of his contract as an impending free agent. By backing the horse called self interest, Jake will logically have a big dip at a good year. At the end of which, he signs somewhere else for big coin as a free agent and we are compensated accordingly - with a late first round pick.

Beveridge has confirmed discussions have been calm and amicable and it would seem level heads have prevailed.

Jake was virtually carried through our premiership year. He is poor defensively - which I'm sure upsets Beveridge's structure or game plan. Thus the frustration. This is modern footy and we have to get used to it.

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Bevo has made minimal changes to the playing list since his arrival and I've certainly been one to challenge that but it's is a strong endorsement that he doesn't just write players off on a whim. Clearly it's now in the best interests of both parties to review other options.

GVGjr
13-09-2017, 08:44 PM
I don't see the panic in all of this. If we get the right price for him (we'll want a first round pick - the best we can get, which will be anything from pick 4 to pick 20 odd.

If we don't get offered that, Jake serves out the last year of his contract as an impending free agent. By backing the horse called self interest, Jake will logically have a big dip at a good year. At the end of which, he signs somewhere else for big coin as a free agent and we are compensated accordingly - with a late first round pick.

Beveridge has confirmed discussions have been calm and amicable and it would seem level heads have prevailed.

Jake was virtually carried through our premiership year. He is poor defensively - which I'm sure upsets Beveridge's structure or game plan. Thus the frustration. This is modern footy and we have to get used to it.

A well reasoned view. Thanks

comrade
13-09-2017, 08:48 PM

My only concern is if Bevo's suggestion that Jake will stay at the club is just a gambit claim to encourage others clubs not to low ball us. I fear our differences are irreconcilable.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Attitude. Play the hand of cards your dealt as best you can.

This is an opportunity with picks 9 & 26 to go out and get some seriously talented players. We will have 3 or 4 picks inside 26, depending on the trade, and the salary cap room from Stringer, Bob & Boyd leaving plus the so called Hurley money which we still have. We have the opportunity now to attack a dynasty with trade currency and a new direction for the playing group under Bevo. If we play this hand well, we might just be lauding a Josh Kelly on Grand Final day kicking the winner from 60m while the press talk about his wage. Get the right guys and it's game on. Even in 2009 after Hawthorn imploded, they got rid of the fan favourite mid sized club leading goal kicker (Mark Williams), Josh Kennedy (club legend surname) and Ben McGlynn and spun them into Shaun Burgoyne & Josh Gibson. That worked out well. So let's go get two highly talented players plus free agents and fight again.

ledge
13-09-2017, 08:52 PM
It also points to he could stay and we are hoping if he does it was a huge wake up call.
Bevo is very smart in saying it isn't irretrievable, that stringers one last chance with us. All up to him.
If he loves the club and values the place so much he will change, but in saying that if we get a good deal we will take it.
I'm glad he has talked to the group and I guess they would know anyway as he was a problem to them as well.

bulldogsman
13-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Stringer is a special player, I'll be disappointed if he's running around in someone else's colours. I'm still hoping it works itself out and he stays. Obviously Beveridge isn't very confident he's going to get the best out of him if he's doing this though.

ledge
13-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Maybe other clubs will see he has huge problems and won't take him, they know beverage is a people's person and will do everything possible to see if his issues are ingrained.
They could also say stuff it why pay a huge price when he will be out of contract next year.
Interesting scenarios with Jake.

always right
13-09-2017, 09:24 PM
I just don't have any confidence in our club getting a deal done that is favourable to us....or even fair. There is no way known he can be at our club next year and I'm betting we take unders.

comrade
13-09-2017, 09:29 PM
I just don't have any confidence in our club getting a deal done that is favourable to us....or even fair. There is no way known he can be at our club next year and I'm betting we take unders.

We have a few things in our favour: a) looks like Kelly is re-signing, meaning one less big fish to take up cap money in the market b) Stringer is contracted c) there are a number of Vic based clubs who have been quite public in their desire to secure a big name trade and d) Stringer has been open about his hunger for a big pay day and may just take the biggest deal rather than name a destination club and hold us over a barrel to get a deal done.

ledge
13-09-2017, 09:38 PM
We have a few things in our favour: a) looks like Kelly is re-signing, meaning one less big fish to take up cap money in the market b) Stringer is contracted c) there are a number of Vic based clubs who have been quite public in their desire to secure a big name trade and d) Stringer has been open about his hunger for a big pay day and may just take the biggest deal rather than name a destination club and hold us over a barrel to get a deal done.

I'm not sure how he holds us over a barrel we have the upper hand. He goes where we want him to go or he stays.

comrade
13-09-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure how he holds us over a barrel we have the upper hand. He goes where we want him to go or he stays.

That's what I said. He doesn't have a club in mind, just one that will give him the best deal, meaning we have options to play with.

always right
13-09-2017, 09:43 PM

Our recent history suggests we help players to get to where "they" want to go. Very noble of us but does diddly squat for our future. I really want us to play hardball. Do I think we will? Not a hope.

I love Bevo but he needs to be reminded that not only does he have a responsibility to the club and the players.....he needs to think of club members as well. I want the best deal possible and I don't care if it isn't Stringer's preferred option.

Remi Moses
13-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Notably fringe players . I'm not sure what we were expecting , but anyway .
Beveridge has shown he can only take so much

jeemak
13-09-2017, 10:22 PM
It also points to he could stay and we are hoping if he does it was a huge wake up call.
Bevo is very smart in saying it isn't irretrievable, that stringers one last chance with us. All up to him.
If he loves the club and values the place so much he will change, but in saying that if we get a good deal we will take it.
I'm glad he has talked to the group and I guess they would know anyway as he was a problem to them as well.

I think he's gone Ledge. We'll get a top 6-15 pick for Jake plus a player and be done with it.

westdog54
13-09-2017, 11:59 PM

Even factoring in FA, next year (assuming he stays, which he won't) would only be his 6th on the list.

We'd have to delist him for him to be a FA, and I wouldn't have thought we'd give any club an armchair ride.

Cyberdoggie
14-09-2017, 01:28 AM
Stringer is a special player, I'll be disappointed if he's running around in someone else's colours. I'm still hoping it works itself out and he stays. Obviously Beveridge isn't very confident he's going to get the best out of him if he's doing this though.

Bulldog fans more than most find it very difficult to let go of their favourite players.
Sometimes to the detriment of the club's wellbeing.

For years we have celebrated our stars because of lack of success. I too find this really hard to deal with but on the other hand I can trust Bevo is doing the right thing because he has given us that success. If Stringer doesn't want to be a bulldog then he can bugger off as far as i'm concerned. I'll just have to now rename all my children and pets.

LostDoggy
14-09-2017, 01:38 AM
I am relieved we have finally got some first hand information.

Yes, its appreciated. Its a balanced response, wildly different to some of the media banter, concerning but hopefully a bridge can be made. I like that Luke has left the door open to stay and respectfully saying if Jake doesnt get the required recognition at another club that he will see out his contract, the comment can be read with two implications:
1. Jake is on a good contract and he deserves similar.
2. Jake is a valuable player and the trade should reflect his value
Clever political wording, looking after the player and club.
Once again I am glass half full and hoping not to have to change my banking password from $$tr1ngerrrr!!! :p

hujsh
14-09-2017, 02:21 AM
Feel better reading Bevo's comments.

I look at Adelaide and where they sit now and don't feel so bad about losing Stringer. If they can lose Bock, Davis, Gunston, Tippet and Danger and be where they are then Stringer leaving isn't world shattering if you have good recruiters to keep bringing in good talent. Makes Dal's retention vital though.

macca
14-09-2017, 02:30 AM
I would be gutted if String ends up and Essendon and Geelong. Just can't stand the entitlement they have been given.

If we end up with another 2 picks in the top20, that would be a good result. I am sad hear he may be leaving, as he is so immensly talented.

String has a few areas of his game which needs to be addressed. If you compare him to Tex Walker, Tex does the 1%, pack marks, brings the ball to ground, and feeds it to the plethora of crumbers they have developed.

ledge
14-09-2017, 05:02 AM
I would be gutted if String ends up and Essendon and Geelong. Just can't stand the entitlement they have been given.

If we end up with another 2 picks in the top20, that would be a good result. I am sad hear he may be leaving, as he is so immensly talented.

String has a few areas of his game which needs to be addressed. If you compare him to Tex Walker, Tex does the 1%, pack marks, brings the ball to ground, and feeds it to the plethora of crumbers they have developed.

Problem is it's not just a few areas of his game that need to be addressed.

Axe Man
14-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Why does this keep getting repeated? Stringer will NOT be a free agent next year.

bornadog
14-09-2017, 10:59 AM
I think we need a separate forum called Stringer - so many threads. :D

anfo27
14-09-2017, 11:49 AM
My only concern is if Bevo's suggestion that Jake will stay at the club is just a gambit claim to encourage others clubs not to low ball us. I fear our differences are irreconcilable.

This is exactly what i thought when I saw bevo's comments. I think there is zero chance Jake stays & with the amount of noise coming out i would think other clubs know this.

Twodogs
14-09-2017, 11:51 AM
I think we need a separate forum called Stringer - so many threads. :D

The floor is open for nominations to start one. He seems to be bigger than the club ATM

comrade
14-09-2017, 11:54 AM
The floor is open for nominations to start one. He seems to be bigger than the club ATM

Yeah, just ask him ;)

Eastdog
14-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Why does this keep getting repeated? Stringer will NOT be a free agent next year.

Yes that's right. After 8 years yes.

Mofra
14-09-2017, 11:57 AM
I thought player contracts go to end of October
I think this is correct, it is certainly correct for coaching staff. Leadership groups meet with prospective trades during this period so it makes sense.

westbulldog
14-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Let him go, he is not indispensable. His attitude suggests we are better off without him.

Happy Days
14-09-2017, 12:18 PM
This whole situation is a total bummer. We've had players leave before who were awesome, but this one is just so disheartening. Stringer was the reason to go to the footy for a little while there, and really feels (felt I guess) like a part of the club, for better or worse. He's supplied so many unforgettable moments, and presented something that I'd personally never seen in a Bulldogs jumper; an unstoppable force that, at his best, the rest of the world envied, but could not replicate.

We all love the idea of a united team, and I do get the reasons why he's being shipped off, but it's taking away such a big part of why I love going to watch this incarnation of the Bulldogs play. I loved being shocked and awed as he made three Brisbane players crash into each other while he strolled into goal, or where he buried Kyle Hartigan six feet under on the right forward flank at Etihad. I'm gonna miss him so much, and it's going to be excruciatingly hard watching him run around in some other jumper.

Twodogs
14-09-2017, 12:34 PM
This whole situation is a total bummer. We've had players leave before who were awesome, but this one is just so disheartening. Stringer was the reason to go to the footy for a little while there, and really feels (felt I guess) like a part of the club, for better or worse. He's supplied so many unforgettable moments, and presented something that I'd personally never seen in a Bulldogs jumper; an unstoppable force that, at his best, the rest of the world envied, but could not replicate.

We all love the idea of a united team, and I do get the reasons why he's being shipped off, but it's taking away such a big part of why I love going to watch this incarnation of the Bulldogs play. I loved being shocked and awed as he made three Brisbane players crash into each other while he strolled into goal, or where he buried Kyle Hartigan six feet under on the right forward flank at Etihad. I'm gonna miss him so much, and it's going to be excruciatingly hard watching him run around in some other jumper.

Nup. He just becomes yet another warm body in an opposition jumper to me then.

bornadog
14-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Feel the same, so disappointing he has turned out to be a dickhead.

To throw out an opportunity like he has - just can't believe it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-09-2017, 12:42 PM
There is shades of Brad Hardie's departure not dissimilar to Jake Stringer, where sadly the individual becomes bigger than the team.
In contrast both Barry Round and Bernie Quinlan, being more mature individuals went onto carve out fine careers elsewhere.
You begin to wonder to what extend Jake's attitude had on the rest of the team, given we were in fourth position midway through the season. The Club has a lot to look forward to given the return of Adams, Jong and Dunkley from injury and Tom Boyd from illness, plus the emerging talent of Williams, Young, Lipinski. We might also see a renewed and refreshed approach from JJ, given his closeness to Stringer.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-09-2017, 12:44 PM
There are a few precedents of star players wanting out but going on to play another season and beyond at the same club.Gary Ablett and Bryce Gibbs come to mind.
This is the wake up call Jake had to have so if we don't get the deal we want Jake will be an improved player next year either way if he has any character. Hopefully he changes both his off field and on field behaviour like Stevie J did and stays with us, even though it seems more likely he'll be moved on.

Doc26
14-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Yep to all this. It's going to be very hard to watch him develop in opposition colours, with the greatest fear that he does indeed become the next Gary Ablett Snr and starts kicking big bags against us.

We're stuck in a very difficult predicament but unfortunately Team has to come first.

I'm still living in an unrealistic dream that somewhere in the next ~4 weeks a penny drops for Jake and that he can find a way to commit and more importantly convince Bevo that he's in 100%.

always right
14-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately the rumours are starting to spread. If true it's no wonder we're offloading him. If not, people are a disgrace.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Feel the same, so disappointing he has turned out to be a dickhead.

To throw out an opportunity like he has - just can't believe it.

Stringer has some of the best football talent I've seen, especially for snapping goals from 30 plus metres. He has damn good football intelligence but his other intelligence is only just better than Michael Talia. He hasn't handled the mantle of "the Package" well. He likes it and has said so. He has not delivered the package so much as promised it. Packaging is only like the cover of a book.

Doc26
14-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Stringer has some of the best football talent I've seen, especially for snapping goals from 30 plus metres. He has damn good football intelligence but his other intelligence is only just better than Michael Talia. He hasn't handled the mantle of "the Package" well. He likes it and has said so. He has not delivered the package so much as promised it. Packaging is only like the cover of a book.

I heard a caller phone in to SEN this morning calling him "the baggage".

BornInDroopSt'54
14-09-2017, 01:17 PM
I heard a caller phone in to SEN this morning calling him "the baggage".

Stringer needs a mentor. If only Stevie J could be one for him at the Bulldogs.

westdog54
14-09-2017, 01:33 PM
I always had this vision of Jake Stringer absolutely ripping apart a grand final and breaking Gary Ablett's 9 goal record.

Its saddening that he looks like he'll never even go close to approaching his potential as a footballer.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-09-2017, 01:46 PM
I always had this vision of Jake Stringer absolutely ripping apart a grand final and breaking Gary Ablett's 9 goal record.

Its saddening that he looks like he'll never even go close to approaching his potential as a footballer.

Me too. He could do but he also could be Shane Loveless.

Axe Man
14-09-2017, 02:50 PM

The way he kicked this year he would need about 30 shots on goal to kick 9.

always right
14-09-2017, 04:15 PM
The way he kicked this year he would need about 30 shots on goal to kick 9.

Depends if he is lining up a set shot from 30m out or on the run from 60.

The bulldog tragician
14-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Unfortunately the rumours are starting to spread. If true it's no wonder we're offloading him. If not, people are a disgrace.

That is the problem isn't it? What's true, what's not true. Maybe I live in sheltered circles, but I've only* heard of slack preparation, lateness to training. Not insurmountable. The club being so strong on this implies there is worse but how do we separate rumour & innuendo from fact?

There is a sadness in me that it has come to this, made worse by the fact that we don't know what 'this' actually is and ultimately need to - in fact we can only - trust in Bevo's judgement and obvious skills in people management and emotional IQ.

*not saying these are acceptable, but a world away from other kinds of conduct

bulldogsthru&thru
14-09-2017, 05:56 PM
We will forever speculate. Why wasn't he dropped and told he won't get a game until he fixes his ways? Decreases his trade value? We'll just never know what the issues were and what actions the club took before getting to this point. If he goes on to be an average player none of us will ever think twice. If he goes on to be one of the best in the league we'll demand answers

Remi Moses
14-09-2017, 09:00 PM
I trust the coach and leadership on this .

bulldogtragic
14-09-2017, 09:01 PM
I trust the coach and leadership on this.

chef
14-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Im trying to trust the coach and leadership on this but I'm stil sad.

always right
14-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Footy Show promoting that Barrett will be announcing another player keen to depart. Dahlhaus?

Remi Moses
14-09-2017, 09:12 PM
It's sad chef , but it sounds like Jake's had numerous chances

bulldogtragic
14-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Footy Show promoting that Barrett will be announcing another player keen to depart. Dahlhaus?

Might sound harsh, but everyone who wants out should be out. They're under contract and have currency.

It's Barrett, so it could be Crameri...

chef
14-09-2017, 09:22 PM
It's sad chef , but it sounds like Jake's had numerous chances

By the sounds of Bevo yesterday we have tried everything and its never going to work. I get it but i hate it too.

comrade
14-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Might sound harsh, but everyone who wants out should be out. They're under contract and have currency.

It's Barrett, so it could be Crameri...

Barrett would be loooooooooving this.

always right
14-09-2017, 10:53 PM
So apparently Stringer has nominated Geelong as his desired destination. If this club has any balls whatsoever they will not approve this. Geelong have nothing to offer us.

LostDoggy
14-09-2017, 11:16 PM
So apparently Stringer has nominated Geelong as his desired destination. If this club has any balls whatsoever they will not approve this. Geelong have nothing to offer us.

Absolutely. If it doesn't benefit us greatly then we need to stand firm. Treat it like the premier league and don't make a rival stronger, they usually only deal with an overseas club. North is as good as overseas.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-09-2017, 11:22 PM
Maybe Menzel.....

ratsmac
14-09-2017, 11:22 PM

So who was the player that flog was talking about "wanting out"

LostDoggy
14-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Problem is finding someone that watched it.

always right
14-09-2017, 11:28 PM

Rockcliff.......but not to us. Misleading promo.

jeemak
14-09-2017, 11:30 PM

........like he has some form of say in the matter?

Jake goes to the club best placed to satisfy our needs, if that's Geelong then great. If not, he better get ready for some reality.

Topdog
14-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Maybe Menzel.....

The one they aren't offering a contract to?

always right
14-09-2017, 11:50 PM
........like he has some form of say in the matter?

Jake goes to the club best placed to satisfy our needs, if that's Geelong then great. If not, he better get ready for some reality.
Are you confident we won't cave in? I'm not.

Doc26
14-09-2017, 11:51 PM

He made the now obligatory reference to both Libba and Dahl being tradeable but, in his words, they wouldn't hold the currency of Jake. It really was little more than this and just smacked of more Barrett muckraking, clutching desperately to maintain his tiresome appearances in the AFL media landscape.

btw The Front Bar is far superior viewing than the channel 9 drivel, which has the adverse effect of making anyone watching it that little more dumber for doing so.

MrMahatma
15-09-2017, 08:12 AM

The only similar one we've had from my perspective is Nathan Brown. Loved him at the Dogs. Hated him at Richmond. I'm guessing I'll feel the same about Jake.

Shame, but if you ain't for us, you're against us.

Twodogs
15-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Stringer needs a mentor. If only Stevie J could be one for him at the Bulldogs.

The only similar one we've had from my perspective is Nathan Brown. Loved him at the Dogs. Hated him at Richmond. I'm guessing I'll feel the same about Jake.

I hope we get as well compensated as we were for Brown Eye. We need up wasting it on magic beans but we got lots of loot from Richmond.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Geelong just have nothing to trade. L though I like Cocktoo, but I'm worried bout his physical fitness/durability now. Pick 20 won't get it done, surely.

Ghost Dog
15-09-2017, 10:03 AM

I'm really heartbroken by all this. Gutted.

Doc26
15-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Geelong just have nothing to trade. L though I like Cocktoo, but I'm worried bout his physical fitness/durability now. Pick 20 won't get it done, surely.

If we are to believe Barrett's rhetoric he's stating that Geelong WILL get both the Stringer and Ablett deals done.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 10:30 AM
If we are to believe Barrett's rhetoric he's stating that Geelong WILL get both the Stringer and Ablett deals done.

As a rule I don't believe, moreso if that's what he reckons.

LostDoggy
15-09-2017, 11:17 AM
What would Geelong do if they get to a point that they had to choose between Jake and Ablett? Who will they go for first?

G-Mo77
15-09-2017, 11:38 AM
He made the now obligatory reference to both Libba and Dahl being tradeable but, in his words, they wouldn't hold the currency of Jake. It really was little more than this and just smacked of more Barrett muckraking, clutching desperately to maintain his tiresome appearances in the AFL media landscape.

btw The Front Bar is far superior viewing than the channel 9 drivel, which has the adverse effect of making anyone watching it that little more dumber for doing so.

And then went on to say Jake was worth only a pick in the 20s. Clowns at work still watch that show religiously and unfortunately his segment is on when I have my break. I feel like throwing my cup of tea at the TV every time he's on.

always right
15-09-2017, 12:13 PM
And then went on to say Jake was worth only a pick in the 20s. Clowns at work still watch that show religiously and unfortunately his segment is on when I have my break. I feel like throwing my cup of tea at the TV every time he's on.

I think he said Jake is worth a late first rounder. I still disagree.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Ablett has to be traded for correct? How in the hell can they get that done?

bulldogtragic
15-09-2017, 01:13 PM

Maybe if the rumours earlier in the year are true, that Bevo wants GAJ, we work out getting Stringer to Geelong and block them from Ablett. We are the nearest club base to Geelong, so maybe GAJ next best option is us. If we are after a top players from the Suns, maybe they can throw him in?

KT31
15-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Barrett would be loooooooooving this.

Who gives a rats what the lowlife thinks, scum of the earth and if people listen to him they are of the same mould.

Doc26
15-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Maybe it's Jesse and not Jake that Geelong have their sights on. Wouldn't be the first time the AFL media has misreported on our boy Jake.

azabob
15-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Maybe it's Jesse and not Jake that Geelong have their sights on. Wouldn't be the first time the AFL media has misreported on our boy Jake.

But Geelong had Jesse all along!

The Doctor
15-09-2017, 11:56 PM
But Geelong had Jesse all along!

So Geelong could trade for their own player ;)

(I know he's delisted but I thought it was funny)

Doc26
16-09-2017, 12:21 AM
So Geelong could trade for their own player ;)

(I know he's delisted but I thought it was funny)

Thanks Doc. It was only intended as a bit of a joke. Was rationing my eMoji usage.

always right
16-09-2017, 01:41 PM
I must say I'm struggling with the concept that we are offloading such a talented player because of discipline issues. Unless there is something more sinister with Jake's behaviour, why wouldn't the coach of the year for two consecutive seasons sufficiently believe in himself to get Jake back on track?

His decision to make the whole episode public has also weakened our position. Sounds like amateur hour to me.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2017, 01:58 PM
I must say I'm struggling with the concept that we are offloading such a talented player because of discipline issues. Unless there is something more sinister with Jake's behaviour, why wouldn't the coach of the year for two consecutive seasons sufficiently believe in himself to get Jake back on track?

His decision to make the whole episode public has also weakened our position. Sounds like amateur hour to me.

I'm guessing Carlton fans were saying the same thing about Fevola in 2009. Carlton drew a line, and traded him for Lachie Henderson and an upgrade into the first round. Fevola was a gun, but that was a winning trade. I don't see this as amatuer hour because I don't see the club taking this action lightly. I'd say it's more likely he's been asked to buy in again and again and hasn't or won't and this is the last resort. But like Mitch Wallis said on radio, if he's not going to completely buy in to what the players want to so, then I wish him the best. Stringers choice now.

GVGjr
16-09-2017, 02:24 PM

I don't want to be picky because I sort of get what you are saying but is the inference that you're not too fussed if an average player is traded primarily because of discipline issues? For what it's worth I don't believe you can have rules for some on the list and a different set of values for others.

I think we have more than done the work to keep Stringer focused on footy and now don't believe he is capable of the change we are requesting. With that in mind it's best not to have him distracting others.
I hope he can convince the club that it's in the best interest for both parties that he stays but clearly the ball is now in his court to impress the hell out of us. Depending on what you read it still might be a 50/50 chance that he stays.

ledge
16-09-2017, 03:56 PM
I don't want to be picky because I sort of get what you are saying but is the inference that you're not too fussed if an average player is traded primarily because of discipline issues? For what it's worth I don't believe you can have rules for some on the list and a different set of values for others.

I think we have more than done the work to keep Stringer focused on footy and now don't believe he is capable of the change we are requesting. With that in mind it's best not to have him distracting others.
I hope he can convince the club that it's in the best interest for both parties that he stays but clearly the ball is now in his court to impress the hell out of us. Depending on what you read it still might be a 50/50 chance that he stays.

Someone told me he had a photo up somewhere of him boxing and starting training early .. Now that could come from his motivation change or it could be us or another club asking him to show he is committed.

macca
16-09-2017, 04:20 PM
If he has influence to disrupt the playing group then he needs to be moved on. I trust the club has tried to keep him focused and professiOnly in his work. Yes it's complicated and a lot of moving issues but you have to remove the negative influences if they have tried different measures and it has not proved constructive . I fully support the club in what they are trying to do. It's sad writing this but maybe they have exhausted all avenues ?

Rocket Science
16-09-2017, 04:24 PM
The line in the sand drawn on our relationship with Jake's been framed as largely Bevo's doing - but you'd have to think it's been mandated with input from leaders within the playing group too.

azabob
16-09-2017, 05:29 PM
The line in the sand drawn on our relationship with Jake's been framed as largely Bevo's doing - but you'd have to think it's been mandated with input from leaders within the playing group too.

Spot on RS. Mitch Wallis interview a couple of weeks back certainly indicates that some parts of the playing group were frustrated.

MrMahatma
17-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Someone told me he had a photo up somewhere of him boxing and starting training early .. Now that could come from his motivation change or it could be us or another club asking him to show he is committed.

On his Instagram.

I think most footballers would still train in the "off" season - even if it's a jog each day. I wouldn't read much into it.

MrMahatma
17-09-2017, 12:11 AM

Why can't you have different rules, if not set in stone but just implied, for the more talented. At the end of the day, all that matters if winning games of footy and winning flags. It's the mercurial and the talented footballers you need to get you there. Not just the workhorses.

If the choice was Honeychurch or Stringer, but Jake will be 20 mins late to training each week and every Wednesday he'll crunch a 6 pack while watching The Gruen Transfer... then I'd take Jake.

I don't know why he's on the outer. I don't know what the expectations are or the leeway given so far has been. I'll assume it's reasonable and that everyone on the list gets a few graces. Whether it's a sports team or a corporate business, there are different people in them. Some are organised. Some are on time. Some party hard. Some give you consistent basic, average output. Some are superstars that take you to the next level. You've got to manage your way through all of that and one size does not fit all.

If he's getting the boot because he's not being a clone, then I disagree. If he's getting the boot because he's taking the piss, then that's a different story. But he's the 2nd most talent player on our list and arguably one of the top 5 talented players his age or under in the competition. We're using one hell of a footballer as an example to the rest of the (not quite as talented) list.

Remi Moses
17-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Spot on RS. Mitch Wallis interview a couple of weeks back certainly indicates that some parts of the playing group were frustrated.

Wallis let the cat out of the bag in that interview .Didn't go with the line and length answer , and told it how it was.
Reckon the leadership group have had a fair input into the decision as well as Bevo .

Remi Moses
17-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Why can't you have different rules, if not set in stone but just implied, for the more talented. At the end of the day, all that matters if winning games of footy and winning flags. It's the mercurial and the talented footballers you need to get you there. Not just the workhorses.

If the choice was Honeychurch or Stringer, but Jake will be 20 mins late to training each week and every Wednesday he'll crunch a 6 pack while watching The Gruen Transfer... then I'd take Jake.

I don't know why he's on the outer. I don't know what the expectations are or the leeway given so far has been. I'll assume it's reasonable and that everyone on the list gets a few graces. Whether it's a sports team or a corporate business, there are different people in them. Some are organised. Some are on time. Some party hard. Some give you consistent basic, average output. Some are superstars that take you to the next level. You've got to manage your way through all of that and one size does not fit all.

If he's getting the boot because he's not being a clone, then I disagree. If he's getting the boot because he's taking the piss, then that's a different story. But he's the 2nd most talent player on our list and arguably one of the top 5 talented players his age or under in the competition. We're using one hell of a footballer as an example to the rest of the (not quite as talented) list.

Kill one to save a thousand . Would have thought it's more than we're being told

LostDoggy
17-09-2017, 01:13 PM

It was a fundraiser.

LostDoggy
17-09-2017, 01:20 PM

What if that's ok then the next week two others are late then the next week two more? Is that then ok? Maybe it's best if we then make it casual Wednesday so if anyone can't be stuffed you don't have to even turn up. Jake has been taking the piss and if wants to wear our jumper again then it's time he earned it.

jeemak
17-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Isnt it odd that Jake hasn't ever gotten better at doing the basics? You know, that attention to detail stuff other players improve upon as they mature? I wonder why that might be...

bornadog
17-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Isnt it odd that Jake hasn't ever gotten better at doing the basics? You know, that attention to detail stuff other players improve upon as they mature? I wonder why that might be...

Doesn't work hard enough, expects talent alone will see him through.