PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors- Round 3

Greystache
14-04-2013, 04:33 PM
This is the round 3 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers= 3 guys that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors= 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Greystache
14-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Let's try to keep it to 3 anchors

EasternWest
14-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Bankers:

Picken - doesn't mess around when it comes to smashing dudes.
Jones - kicking looks much better.

Anchors:

Higgins - I think if I never saw him in our colours again I'd be just fine with it.
Dahlhaus - not sure whether he was just well held or surprisingly flat today.

Rance Fan
14-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Bankers
Jones - finally got a good score on the board
Griffen - Tries and tries and tries
Cross - 200 game great bulldog
Anchors
Small forwards - terrible! Gia and Higgins should be dropped. Dickson and Dahl tried but struggled
Rucks - Minson and Campbell - terrible today
Wood - injured again!@@@@
Tigers fans! - Passionate but whinge over every free kick..Just like Reiwoldt!

lemmon
14-04-2013, 05:12 PM
Bankers
Jones- I wanted him out of the side but answered some critics, has to convert, 4.1 look a lot better than 2.3
Griff- Gave it all, responded after last week

Anchors-
Campbell- Not up to it yet, was terrible
Higgins- Drop and trade, enough is enough
Mids- No accountability whatsoever, Deledio, Cotchin and Martin ran rings around us

AndrewP6
14-04-2013, 05:18 PM
B
Jones - great to see him finally slot a few through.
Griff - didn't stop trying.

A
Most of the mids, most of the time.
Higgins/Gia - both senior players, both bitterly disappointing.

Remi Moses
14-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Bankers- Jones , really good signs and kicking 4 with limited chances and shoddy delivery was commendable.
Griffen- thought his work rate was first class( the rest were woeful in that regard)

Anchors - hard to keep it to only three
Higgins- has to be traded, sick of hearing of his great pre- season. He loafs and plays with bugger all intensity
Gia- looke like an old man today

Midfield in general- shocking effort and unacceptable work rate.
When we get done in contested footy, or break even we have no outside run

Greystache
14-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Bankers

Jones- Our only forward who showed something

Young- Under a barrage of inside 50's he showed a bit

Cooney- Looks like he's getting closer to his best. His 2 goals were rippers

Anchors

Forwards- Higgins, Gia, Dickson offered nothing offensively and even less defensively

Match committee- Our match ups were poor and picking Wood was unforgivable.

Midfield accountability- If you're not winning the footy then make sure your opponent isn't either. It's called football!

Sedat
14-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Higgins was awful today but no worse than Dahl. To not lay a single tackle is to not work anywhere near hard enough. Steven Morris had him spooked from the opening bounce today - terribly disappointing effort from a player who normally provides 100% in the effort stakes.

Sadly I expected exactly what Higgins served up today.

westdog54
14-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Bankers

Jones. Outstanding workrate despite terrible delivery and was rewarded.
Griffen. Silky smooth, all class.
Young. His duel with McGuane was great viewing and made good decisions all day

Anchors

Small forwards as a group, got slaughtered on the rebound.
Whoever was supposed to be on Deledio. Set the tone at the opening bounce and thats about as close as we git to him.
Higgins gets a mention all to himself. He's played 100 games and has had a trouble free season. He's out of excuses.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Banker -
Cooney - A small positive in an otherwise shocking game.
Liam Jones - as others have said. Good confidence builder for him.

Anchor - The Coach / Coaching staff. Either he /they haven't communicated what they want or haven 't trained them properly. It's their responsibility and the tackle count was an embarrassment today.

Take nothing away from Richmond. They got a lot of respect from me today.
But I still don't think they are double the worth of this team. I don't believe it.

bornadog
14-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Bankers

* Roughead - Looks pretty good in the backline and you know one on one rarely beaten.

* Young - Impressed with this bloke, very cool doesn't panic and defends well.

* Minson - Really tried hard today, dominated the hitouts and ran and chased - would however like to see him take a few more marks around the ground.

Anchors

* Midfield beaten at their own contested footy, just couldn't get their hands on the ball.

* Dickson - time for a rest, his constant bad kicking is killing us.

* Match committee dropping JJ and bringing in Wood.

always right
14-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Bankers

Anchors

Match committee- Our match ups were poor and picking Wood was unforgivable.

I don't necessarily agree with Wood's inclusion but it's hard to make a call on it when he did his hamstring so early.

Bankers:
Griffen was poor early but worked hard and tried to impose himself.
Jones was our only effective forward today. Good signs.
Young shows a bit of poise.

Anchors:
I'll bracket Gia and Dickson together. Neither appear able to get separation from their opponents.
Campbell was simply a liability. Never looked like getting the ball up forward or in the ruck.
Higgins looked disinterested. Lost count of the number of times he watched blokes run past him. Trade bait at end of season.

Greystache
14-04-2013, 06:29 PM
I don't necessarily agree with Wood's inclusion but it's hard to make a call on it when he did his hamstring so early.

We brought in a player who's hardly played a good game in 2 years fresh off an extended break with a hamstring without any match fitness who lasts 5 minutes before doing his hamstring again. It was a shocking selection decision end of.

westdog54
14-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Bankers

* Roughead - Looks pretty good in the backline and you know one on one rarely beaten.

For a bloke who only had four possessions he was exceptional.

Teams are starting to worry about him. As soon as he went to Riewoldt in the last quarter he started working up the ground. Gave Vickery an absolute bath and has Brian's confidence in leaving his man and going to kill the contest.

LostDoggy
14-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Bankers:

1. Jones. Stood up today and his work rate was fantastic. Tried his best.
2. Young. Very solid, great pickup.
3. Higgins. When the shit hits the fan and the cards are down, you can always depend on this little fella to give his full 35%. When we really need a senior player to go ninja for us, he always puts up his hand, and each week we know we're going to get a player who can watch some of the best in the game run past him.

Anchors:

1. As said, Tigers fans. Ten goals up, still booing, hissing and having a sook over every free kick paid. Can't wait for Microwave Appreciation Round.
2. Long bombs. It was 2012 all over again.
3. Me. I didn't wear my old guernsey today, and just like every time I've not worn it, we got smashed. Sorry boys.

LostDoggy
14-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Bankers

Jones: Fantastic to see him rewarded with 4 goals for his outstanding effort so far this season.
Griffen: Never stopped running when we were getting killed through the midfield all day.
Roughead: Probably our best key position player already, plays the percentages.

Anchors

Higgins: Must be dropped, if I see him stop chasing to point his finger again I'll spew.
Dickson: Two bad weeks in a row, does he have enough runs on the board to demand a senior spot next week?
Campbell: Probably a bit harsh considering the balance of play, but just didn't have any impact and failed to fire with the few chances he had.

Hotdog60
14-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Bankers

Jones: Looked every bit a forward. Has worked hard on his kicking, when he kicked the behind from leaning back on the kick he smacked his head almost saying to himself concentrate on what you have been learning.
Griffen:Played his guts out
Young: Looks a player and will get better when more pressure is applied up field.

Anchors

Higgins: As most have already said.
Match Committee: Picking Wood without him building match fitness.
BornAScragger: See number 3 Anchor in the their post above. We didn't have a chance.

Scorlibo
15-04-2013, 01:39 AM
Bankers:

Jones - still struggled to compete at some stages but 4 goals is really encouraging for him and the team.

Griffen - gave 100% when the midfield was crumbling around him.

Cross - in my eyes this guy is right up there with the greats of this football club. Everyone knows of his work rate and meticulousness in preparation, but I think his TALENT as a footballer is understated. Elite ball handling and awareness made him probably our best player today and have made him a club champion.

Anchors:

[Insert any half forward here] - I can't help but think that there's something wrong with the way our half-forward line is functioning. It would be naive in my opinion to pin it on any player in particular. Higgins is the whipping boy but wasn't any worse than Gia, Dahl and Dickson. Every single one of our half forwards struggled hugely and gave us no supply inside 50.

Libba - was a shadow of the mongrel he brought to the field last week. The tag isn't an excuse, he's copped that all of his junior career and he'll cop it for the rest of his days in red, white and blue.

Campbell - too slow, plain and simple. He didn't do anything. Anything. Terrible.

Scorlibo
15-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Bankers:

Jones - still struggled to compete at some stages but 4 goals is really encouraging for him and the team.

Griffen - gave 100% when the midfield was crumbling around him.

Cross - in my eyes this guy is right up there with the greats of this football club. Everyone knows of his work rate and meticulousness in preparation, but I think his TALENT as a footballer is understated. Elite ball handling and awareness made him probably our best player today and have made him a club champion.

Anchors:

[Insert any half forward here] - I can't help but think that there's something wrong with the way our half-forward line is functioning. It would be naive in my opinion to pin it on any player in particular. Higgins is the whipping boy but wasn't any worse than Gia, Dahl and Dickson. Every single one of our half forwards struggled hugely and gave us no supply inside 50.

Libba - was a shadow of the mongrel he brought to the field last week. The tag isn't an excuse, he's copped that all of his junior career and he'll cop it for the rest of his days in red, white and blue.

Campbell - too slow, plain and simple. He didn't do anything. Anything. Terrible.

Would also like to insert Picken into the anchors category. He topped the clanger count today and just looks a very dumb footballer at the moment, repeatedly making poor decisions. I think he might be being exposed without the 'tagger' protective blanket on his performance. His hit in the last quarter made me smile, but he earns way too much respect for deeds such as these, and loses way too little for being a turnover machine.

Ghost Dog
15-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Bankers

Jones: Fantastic to see him rewarded with 4 goals for his outstanding effort so far this season.
Griffen: Never stopped running when we were getting killed through the midfield all day.
Roughead: Probably our best key position player already, plays the percentages.

Anchors

Higgins: Must be dropped, if I see him stop chasing to point his finger again I'll spew.
Dickson: Two bad weeks in a row, does he have enough runs on the board to demand a senior spot next week?
Campbell: Probably a bit harsh considering the balance of play, but just didn't have any impact and failed to fire with the few chances he had.

Well said. You can't control certain things. But be it anyone, as a professional, you need to make it count when the control is in your hands.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Would also like to insert Picken into the anchors category. He topped the clanger count today and just looks a very dumb footballer at the moment, repeatedly making poor decisions. I think he might be being exposed without the 'tagger' protective blanket on his performance. His hit in the last quarter made me smile, but he earns way too much respect for deeds such as these, and loses way too little for being a turnover machine.

I would like to see him play in a forward role rather than the backline

Ozza
15-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Bankers:

Jones - Great response from him after a poor game last week.
Young - Really like what he gives the side, in particular, he is versatile, works hard to be an option for his team mates when they are deep in defence, and shows a good level of composure.
Cooney - Really happy with how he is going.

Just another quick one - Cross - his head first effort to create a contest enabled Cooney to get the opportunity to kick that brilliant left foot goal.

Anchors:

I've tended to defend Higgins in the past. He was disgraceful yesterday. The situation called for some leadership, some work rate and strong efforts. And Shaun did the sort of vanishing act we expect from him when the going gets tough. I was sitting on the medallion club side, second level, directly behind our bench - and am staggered at how often Higgins comes off the ground. He goes on for 4-5 minutes, doesn't go near the footy or a tackle/chase....and then comes off again.

Tom Campbell - perhaps I'm going off early. Perhaps he will improve dramatically. But we played one short with him on the field yesterday. You just couldn't possibly play him next week under any circumstances. God help us if Minson gets injured, if our depth is Campbell and Cordy.

Gia - again, one that I tend to defend. But he's so slow now that in a game that's played like it was yesterday, there are plenty of circumstances where he simply is not a chance of winning the ball or creating pressure. There were times where he was working really hard yesterday, but just couldn't shake his opponent, chase down the player with the ball, or close down space.

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 10:04 AM

Yep, alongside Picken, Boyd is in the elite dispoosal class.

EasternWest
15-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Cross - in my eyes this guy is right up there with the greats of this football club.

You'll get no arguments from me. He's a wonderful player, the kind of guy who'll win you a war.

When people talk about heart and soul players, I'm comfortable with Cross being spoken about alongside the likes of West and Johnson.

I think those guys remain below Whitten, Hawkins and Grant, but there's no shame in that.

G-Mo77
15-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Bankers.

Jones.
Looked a lot more confident out there yesterday. 4 goals is a good reward.

Defenders
I thought we did pretty well down back considering the ball came in with such ease. Don't be disheartened about Riewoldt kicking 5, 3 were garbage goals. I don't think there is a player i hate more in this league right now. Roughead killed Vickery and Young battled hard all day. Goodes was also one of our better players.

Cooney
The rest of the midfield were rubbish. Coons was a highlight.

Anchors

Midfield.
Deplorable, woeful, disgraceful (puts down thesaraus) You'd think the Richmond midfield at a highly contagious disease because they were not anywhere near them at any stage.

Richmond supporters.
Boo every free paid against, Bronx cheer every free paid for. Get a rule book you pack of rabid ferals.

Etihad plumbing.
Sat in Level 3 and there was a sewer leak of some sorts. The smell was so bad towards the end. Disgusting!! I could still smell of urine mixed with feces on the trip home.

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 12:18 PM
You'll get no arguments from me. He's a wonderful player, the kind of guy who'll win you a war.

When people talk about heart and soul players, I'm comfortable with Cross being spoken about alongside the likes of West and Johnson.

I think those guys remain below Whitten, Hawkins and Grant, but there's no shame in that.

On ability, yes.

Bankers.

Jones.
Looked a lot more confident out there yesterday. 4 goals is a good reward.

Defenders
I thought we did pretty well down back considering the ball came in with such ease. Don't be disheartened about Riewoldt kicking 5, 3 were garbage goals. I don't think there is a player i hate more in this league right now. Roughead killed Vickery and Young battled hard all day. Goodes was also one of our better players.

Cooney
The rest of the midfield were rubbish. Coons was a highlight.

Anchors

Midfield.
Deplorable, woeful, disgraceful (puts down thesaraus) You'd think the Richmond midfield at a highly contagious disease because they were not anywhere near them at any stage.

Richmond supporters.
Boo every free paid against, Bronx cheer every free paid for. Get a rule book you pack of rabid ferals.

Etihad plumbing.
Sat in Level 3 and there was a sewer leak of some sorts. The smell was so bad towards the end. Disgusting!! I could still smell of urine mixed with feces on the trip home.

I thought it was the Richmond fans sitting around me. There you go...

G-Mo77
15-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I thought it was the Richmond fans sitting around me. There you go...

I assumed it was a sewer leak. You're probably closer to pin than I. :D

craigsahibee
15-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Bankers
Griffen : Just kept working hard to stay in the game
Cooney : Progressively getting that burst of speed back. His 2nd goal was classic Adam
Roughy : Instills more and more confidence in me each time he goes to a contest
Young : Solid and good decision maker

Anchors
Higgins : just Pi$$ off
Gia : put the team first and have a good hard look at yourself. Tough (not really) decision to be made now.
Picken : made his and his mates job all that much harder by giving the ball back so often

always right
15-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Bankers
Picken : made his and his mates job all that much harder by giving the ball back so often

Not being a smartarse but apart from his poor short pass coming out of defence in the third quarter, I can't remember him turning the ball over much. Can you cite any other examples?

F'scary
15-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Bankers: Defenders, Cooney & Jones.

Anchors:

Our midfield for being inconsistent. One week they play like the Second Coming, a couple of weeks later, coming second.

Small forwards: as for the midfield.

Special anchor goes to Higgins. You are meant to chase the ball. Not run in front of it.

craigsahibee
15-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Not being a smartarse but apart from his poor short pass coming out of defence in the third quarter, I can't remember him turning the ball over much. Can you cite any other examples?

A lot of his kicks just made it more difficult than it needed to be for his mates up field. In his defense he was not alone in that regard. Without stats or a tape of the game to fall back on, I just remember being disappointed on a number of occasions yesterday as a result of Liam's disposal.

A quick check of the AFL website indicates Liam had a team high 5 clangers out of 14 possessions.

G-Mo77
15-04-2013, 03:27 PM
In regards to Picken was there a reason why he didn't go to Deledio? I recall most of the past games he's ran with him.

lemmon
15-04-2013, 03:29 PM
In regards to Picken was there a reason why he didn't go to Deledio? I recall most of the past games he's ran with him.

Guess they thought we needed another small back, was only compounded when Wood went down

bornadog
15-04-2013, 03:30 PM

The coach doesn't make moves.

Greystache
15-04-2013, 03:43 PM

You know this for a fact do you?

What has Picken playing in the backline rather than tagging got to do with making moves anyway?

bornadog
15-04-2013, 04:05 PM
You know this for a fact do you?

What has Picken playing in the backline rather than tagging got to do with making moves anyway?

* yep it's called my eyes.

* Delidio was killing us but we failed to change things around and perhaps tag him. Picken would have been ideal.

I didn't see one player move from their position on Sunday, but I guess they were being educated in how to play football.

always right
15-04-2013, 04:05 PM

I think it's incredibly difficult nowadays to make this sort of sweeping statement. When I watched the game yesterday I noted that players were lining up on different opponents throughout the game. How many of these were a result of deliberate moves by the coaches box or were driven by blokes coming on and off the ground is almost impossible to tell.

Short of obvious moves like sending Roughead to full forward or Jones to Centre half back, I'm not sure you can say with any confidence what moves were made on the day.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 04:14 PM
I think it's incredibly difficult nowadays to make this sort of sweeping statement. When I watched the game yesterday I noted that players were lining up on different opponents throughout the game. How many of these were a result of deliberate moves by the coaches box or were driven by blokes coming on and off the ground is almost impossible to tell.

Short of obvious moves like sending Roughead to full forward or Jones to Centre half back, I'm not sure you can say with any confidence what moves were made on the day.

Outside of the spine which rarely changes other than resting the ruck, what players were moved for example - around between back and half forward flanks? What about Higgins moving to an extra man in defence, what about Picken going forward, or to the midfield? I am not a coach but I do not understand why we wouldn't do at least something. From the ten minute mark of the first quarter we were utterly smashed.

G-Mo77
15-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Outside of the spine which rarely changes other than resting the ruck, what players were moved for example - around between back and half forward flanks? What about Higgins moving to an extra man in defence, what about Picken going forward, or to the midfield? I am not a coach but I do not understand why we wouldn't do at least something. From the ten minute mark of the first quarter we were utterly smashed.

Picken has always tagged Deledio so it was strange not to see him line up along side of him. I guess two negating players in the midfield doesn't work but would have liked to have seen Liam take a crack at him at some stage. I don't see King as a player worth worrying about that much.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Picken has always tagged Deledio so it was strange not to see him line up along side of him. I guess two negating players in the midfield doesn't work but would have liked to have seen Liam take a crack at him at some stage. I don't see King as a player worth worrying about that much.

This^^^

Ozza
15-04-2013, 08:09 PM

I guess you answered your own question though.

Richmond had Deledio and Cotchin inside the centre square. If you tag them both - then we only have Libba or Griffen as a ball winner in the middle - and as it was - Libba was getting shut down at stoppages (mostly by Tuck) anyway, and Jackson was running with Griffen.

The coaches obviously made the decision that you can't tag all of them. And once we were behind as far as we were - going even more negative wasn't going to win the game. In years gone by - we could tag Deledio, and they didn't have two other stars to torch us.

Ozza
15-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Cross was already peeling off to become the extra man back - and Dahlhaus pushed up to a wing.

G-Mo77
15-04-2013, 08:24 PM

Richmond had Deledio and Cotchin inside the centre square. If you tag them both - then we only have Libba or Griffen as a ball winner in the middle - and as it was - Libba was getting shut down at stoppages (mostly by Tuck) anyway, and Jackson was running with Griffen.

The coaches obviously made the decision that you can't tag all of them. And once we were behind as far as we were - going even more negative wasn't going to win the game. In years gone by - we could tag Deledio, and they didn't have two other stars to torch us.

Yep and thought that'd be the case.

Didn't we run two taggers against Brisbane? It's only 2 weeks ago, I should remember this.

Ozza
15-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Yep and thought that'd be the case.

Didn't we run two taggers against Brisbane? It's only 2 weeks ago, I should remember this.

Only Lower on Rich if I recall correctly. Picken played deep in defence.

I guess its like the Collingwood dilemma - do you tag Swan or Pendles - because you can't really tag both when they're inside. Its a hard midfield to stop (Richmond) when all three are up and going.

I'm already missing the old Richmond.

Sedat
15-04-2013, 10:22 PM

For centre bounces I agree. But for every other stoppage there is no harm at all in having 2 defensive-minded mids guarding key opposition onballers - Sydney have more defensive minded mids than attacking ones at any given around the ground stoppage. We can always structure up with a midfield 'plus one' to ensure the ball doesn't come out with ease by the opposition.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-04-2013, 10:39 PM
For centre bounces I agree. But for every other stoppage there is no harm at all in having 2 defensive-minded mids guarding key opposition onballers - Sydney have more defensive minded mids than attacking ones at any given around the ground stoppage. We can always structure up with a midfield 'plus one' to ensure the ball doesn't come out with ease by the opposition.

Without the experience of Boyd Cooney and Picken in the midfield we lacked strength in the midfield.We are simply left with the class of Griffen and Liberatore without the depth of talent needed at centre bounces. Richmond effectively tagged Libba out of the game and dominated out of the centre.