PDA

View Full Version : Higgins out for the season

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 07:24 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-04-15/higgins-sidelined-for-season.workstation
What is going on with our medical staff

Dickson also out for 8

westdog54
15-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Bit rough to blame the medical staff for these injuries.

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Bit rough to blame the medical staff for these injuries.

Been rumours that Higgins has been carrying something.
Dickson's was just bad luck, but it also looks they rushed Wood back too soon.

GVGjr
15-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Might explain his performance yesterday.

Speedy recovery Shaun

Eastdog
15-04-2013, 07:36 PM
More injuries certainly doesn't help our cause and will really be up against it now. Really hoping Boyd is back this week. Add Wood as well from yesterday who will be out for a while.

jeemak
15-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Crap. Disappointing for Higgins and the club.

Remi Moses
15-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Disappointing news, had foot issues a few weeks ago?
Wood out for 6 and Dickson for 8!!

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 07:43 PM
More game time for the kids

comrade
15-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Very disappointing and would explain why both players looked so off the pace yesterday.

The silver lining is that it opens up opportunities for some youngsters and fringe players. Let's hope whoever gets a shot takes it and runs with it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-04-2013, 07:47 PM
All the best with the rehab Shaun. No doubt Tommy Williams will be able to give him an insight and support into the recovery process having had the same injury to him.

DOG GOD
15-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Time for vez to stand up now...

bulldogsman
15-04-2013, 07:50 PM
That sucks. I feel bad for bagging him out.

I guess it's now likely we'll see Macrae and Stringer debut this week.

chef
15-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Bugger.

EasternWest
15-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Been rumours that Higgins has been carrying something.
Dickson's was just bad luck, but it also looks they rushed Wood back too soon.

Really?

All I've heard is "best pre-season ever", "finally injury free", "looking a million dollars" blah blah blah.

It sucks for Shaun that he's suffered such a serious injury and I hope he recovers well, but I don't retract my statement about not wanting to see him in our colours again.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Very, very sad. Unlucky. Some bodies are built to withstand the rigours of the game and rarely miss a game (e.g. Brad Johnson) and some are just not.

DragzLS1
15-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Dickson and wood unlucky, higgens is a massive blow and hope he recovers. This is grants, stringers and macraes chance..

bulldogtragic
15-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Vez has got to take the opportunity now. I believe he can do it.

always right
15-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Wow.....Sure I wanted Higgins and Dickson dropped but this is sad news.

jazzadogs
15-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Very disappointing and would explain why both players looked so off the pace yesterday.

The silver lining is that it opens up opportunities for some youngsters and fringe players. Let's hope whoever gets a shot takes it and runs with it.
Dickson's was an impact injury, no real excuse for him playing so poorly before the injury.

Disappointing that the medical team didn't pick up the navicular concerns, although this is likely an acute fracture you would think that a bone scan or CT would have been indicated by the niggling foot injuries that were reported throughout the NAB Cup and beyond. This quote from Fantasia on 23/03/13 (link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/boyd-out-two-more-in-doubt-20130325-2gqan.html)):

Fantasia said Higgins had played the first round of the NAB Cup, but had been rested through following games because of foot soreness. He played in a practice match last week, raising hopes that he could prove his fitness and press for selection this week.
''He has had some trouble with his foot so he missed a couple of weeks, but he played last week in an internal game - so fingers crossed he is OK,'' Fantasia said.
''He is not 100 per cent ruled out, but he is no certainty to play.
''His foot is being managed. He played in the early games, then he had a fortnight off when he didn't play. That was so that we could manage it. He had a very good pre-season before that and it had been about managing that [issue with his foot]. I am not aware of it being that bad (a torn plantar fascia tendon). I think it is just an issue at the moment to manage.''

I'm assuming the medical team has changed a fair bit since Tom Williams had the same issues?

As for Wood, I'm happy to back in their testing on that one. He would have been doing sprints at training with no worries, for it to happen 5 minutes into the game says to me that it wasn't a concern of him not having match fitness.

As others have said, this opens the door for others to take their opportunity. Macrae, Stringer, Vez, Grant...let's see what you've got!

SonofScray
15-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Dickson and wood unlucky, higgens is a massive blow and hope he recovers. This is grants, stringers and macraes chance..

Disagree Higgins is a massive blow, it sucks for him as an individual but he hasn't given us a great deal anyway. That said, I am feeling for him and acknowledge the frustration and disappointment he must be feeling. A bit like Mark West, body just letting him down. Will never get to a level he, or we want as a result.

G-Mo77
15-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Wow. What a shocking weekend for us.

Obviously Higgins played through a lot of pain yesterday so a bit of respect for him should be given. I feel horrible for bagging him on Sunday. Horrible injury, I believe it's the same one Tom Williams had so best of luck to Shaun with his recovery.

Bad blow for Wood, Dickson and especially Jong with this injury news. He'll miss out on some AFL games because of this.

With injury comes opportunities so I hope those in line are ready to step up.

jazzadogs
15-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Wow. What a shocking weekend for us.

Obviously Higgins played through a lot of pain yesterday so a bit of respect for him should be given. I feel horrible for bagging him on Sunday. Horrible injury, I believe it's the same one Tom Williams had so best of luck to Shaun with his recovery.

Bad blow for Wood, Dickson and especially Jong with this injury news. He'll miss out on some AFL games because of this.

With injury comes opportunities so I hope those in line are ready to step up.
Matty Egan is the one that always springs to mind for me. Destroyed his career, never really recovered.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Certain posters will be happy with this news. :mad:

Good luck Shaun, hopefully you can recover quickly

G-Mo77
15-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Matty Egan is the one that always springs to mind for me. Destroyed his career, never really recovered.

True. Shaun has got a hard road ahead of him now. I truly hope the quotes earlier in the thread had nothing to do with this latest injury. Our medical staff should be held accountable if that's the case.

Hotdog60
15-04-2013, 08:57 PM
With Higgins gone for the season it now opens a door for a Rookie. Bad luck for Jong as he will be gone for 8 weeks but who else will get the nod.

Redpath
Greenwood
Austin

Can a rookie go back on the rookie list if Jong comes back and earns a spot?

Mofra
15-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Bad luck Shaun, speedy rehab

The Pie Man
15-04-2013, 09:00 PM
While I can understand anyone critical of Shaun's game yesterday feeling a touch lousy with this news...you know what you know. Once out there, you're fit.

On the same token, playing out the game with this issue must have been enormously painful..always respect efforts like that (Morris 09 finals, Williams in Brisbane before that - there would be plenty of examples I can't quite think of right now)

Wish all three injured guys the speediest of recoveries. Each of these guys can be valuable contributors if fit...especially Higgins...today is probably not the day to think too much about where his career is headed.

lemmon
15-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Sad news, sorry to hear it. I was one going pretty hard on him yesterday, don't feel great about it now hearing that news

Sedat
15-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Clearly there were mitigating factors but none of our supporters should feel bad about demanding much more than what Higgins produced yesterday. We weren't to know that he was carrying such a significant injury and were only going on the lack of effort that we saw on the day.

Hope he recovers 100% and gets to raise his career to the level that his talent warrants.

Remi Moses
15-04-2013, 09:10 PM

That is a silly thing to say.
Nobody wishes serious injuries on any of our players .
Shaun hasn't lived up to expectations, and people are entitled to critique his performance.

Greystache
15-04-2013, 09:18 PM

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Really really immature.

Bulldog Revolution
15-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Whilst he had an injury free pre-season, obviously once the game started, even the NAB cup ones, he's been a bit hobbled

I will be emailing the club to ask that no articles are ever written about Shaun Higgins being injury free or having his best pre-season ever

Good luck in recovery Shaun - we look forward to reaching the standards you are determined to get to

kruder
15-04-2013, 09:37 PM
It does not explain his lack of effort in the past... You gain respect and get a reprieve when news of playing under duress comes out.

Hopefully he will have the chance to win it at our club.

The biggest concern for me is bringing Stringer in too early under desperation. I'm hoping our club had a plan with him during the preseason and sticks with it no matter the injury list we have. The kid had undeniable talent and we should take the long term view with him.

Ghost Dog
15-04-2013, 09:38 PM
It does not explain his lack of effort in the past... You gain respect and get a reprieve when news of playing under duress comes out.

Hopefully he will have the chance to win it at our club.

The biggest concern for me is bringing Stringer in too early under desperation. I'm hoping our club had a plan with him during the preseason and sticks with it no matter the injury list we have. The kid had undeniable talent and we should take the long term view with him.

Well why didn't they rest him then? Vezpremi offers a similar type of outcome. He could have been the sub even. confused.

AndrewP6
15-04-2013, 09:39 PM
The bloke just can't take a trick really. With his history of injuries, this has to be career threatening IMO. Just can't stay on the paddock long enough to show what he can do (or maybe he has?)....
Regardless of ones thoughts of his performances, gotta feel for the bloke.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 09:50 PM
That's a ridiculous thing to say. Really really immature.

Feeling guilty::D

FrediKanoute
15-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Mick.......his name was Mick :D

bornadog
15-04-2013, 09:57 PM
That is a silly thing to say.
Nobody wishes serious injuries on any of our players .
Shaun hasn't lived up to expectations, and people are entitled to critique his performance.

Didn't say that, more the fact he is out for the season

Remi Moses
15-04-2013, 10:04 PM

So you didn't say this^^.
Silly thing to say . Nobody is "Happy" Shaun's injured.
If you don't think Shaun's career has been below expectations you're watching through rose coloured glasses.
I hope Shaun comes back and becomes an elite AFL footballer like he has promised to be.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 10:07 PM
If you don't think Shaun's career has been below expectations you're watching through rose coloured glasses.

Remi WTF :confused::confused:

What has that got to do with anything

Dancin' Douggy
15-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Gee that's crappy news.
What's it now, An ankle reconstruction, an elbow reconstruction, and now this.
this will pretty much be 3 years sliced out of his career.
He was drafted in 2005.

A year after Ryan Griffen & Tom Williams.

Same draft as Pendlebury, Marc Murphy and Daisy Thomas.

He's not all that old, but he's not young either.
Just feel so sorry for him.

All the best Shaun, hope you make it back and salvage a meaningful career.

Greystache
15-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Feeling guilty::D

You should be embarrassed by what you wrote not making jokes.

bornadog
15-04-2013, 10:16 PM
You should be embarrassed by what you wrote not making jokes.

Not at all, its true. There are many including you who are happy Higgins is out for the season. I am sure you don't want him out due to injury and if you think I meant that then you don't know me. Maybe I should have spelt it out better.

Remi Moses
15-04-2013, 10:17 PM
You're having a crack at posters who've been critical of Shaun's lack of intent.
Then saying people would be now "happy" he's out of the side is churlish

kruder
15-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Well why didn't they rest him then? Vezpremi offers a similar type of outcome. He could have been the sub even. confused.

I agree not sure who's decision it was but obviously he was restricted going in. As other posters have mentioned Wood's selection was bizarre also hence calling for caution on Stringer.

Remi Moses
15-04-2013, 10:23 PM
I agree not sure who's decision it was but obviously he was restricted going in. As other posters have mentioned Wood's selection was bizarre also hence calling for caution on Stringer.

Agree, young Stringer needs more game time at VFL level.

LostDoggy
15-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Terrible news for Shaun and all the best for his recovery. Posters shouldn't feel bad for critiquing his performance on the weekend though, whoever runs out can be assumed to be 100% fit. But with injury comes opportunity, and hopefully Grant and/or Vez can come in and grab it with both hands.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-04-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty gutted about this.

I have been critical of Higgins since about 2009, but have accepted he's had a fair bit of bad luck to contend with. Having said all that, I was really looking forward to seeing how he'd handle this season given he was flying off the track, was BOG in round one and at the right age to start producing the type of football we need from him.

For mine, Higgins' story is turning into a Mark West scenario to a certain degree. A very sad, unfortunate one that could (should?) have been a great success story.

Maybe he'll turn it around next year, but it's hard to even say that let alone believe it at the moment.

boydogs
15-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Disagree Higgins is a massive blow, it sucks for him as an individual but he hasn't given us a great deal anyway. That said, I am feeling for him and acknowledge the frustration and disappointment he must be feeling. A bit like Mark West, body just letting him down. Will never get to a level he, or we want as a result.

From the sounds of it, he has been carrying this for a few weeks, so we can't really use the last 2 games as an indication of what we are losing.

Hopefully he recovers from this and comes back better than ever

MrMahatma
16-04-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm pretty gutted about this.

I have been critical of Higgins since about 2009, but have accepted he's had a fair bit of bad luck to contend with. Having said all that, I was really looking forward to seeing how he'd handle this season given he was flying off the track, was BOG in round one and at the right age to start producing the type of football we need from him.

For mine, Higgins' story is turning into a Mark West scenario to a certain degree. A very sad, unfortunate one that could (should?) have been a great success story.

Maybe he'll turn it around next year, but it's hard to even say that let alone believe it at the moment.
Yeah. Agree. Sad news and just a real shame. He'll never be the player we thought he'd be when drafted.

Maybe harsh/early but is he worth persisting with? Will he ever play a full, injury free season?

LostDoggy
16-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Gives a great opportunity for the youngsters and fringe players to learn the game and / or make a name for themselves.

Bad luck to Dickson and Higgins, but nobody should feel sorry for being critical of Higgins' performances. Most on here are knowledgable and haven't made judgement based on one game.

LostDoggy
16-04-2013, 09:15 AM
10 goal loss. 3 Injuries. Can't wait for First Dog's cartoon.

Solution: Get games into the kids.

Get well soon Shaun.

LostDoggy
16-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Definitely a sad time for Shaun and I wish him well. The positive for me is that we get the chance to try some players in the forward line who are playing for their careers and should be desperate to show what they've got. I think Vez has the ability to play some good football for us, sure he himself concedes that he'll never have elite fitness but he does possess a good burst of speed and ability to kick goals. Grant is another who simply must make something of this opportunity.

I think Stringer should stay in the VFL for a little while longer and develop consistency and match fitness. We shouldn't be in a rush to put Jake out there as we know we have a guy who will be a great future player for us.

I'd like to see Fletcher Roberts given an opportunity in the forward line at some stage too.

Mantis
16-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Mick.......his name was Mick :D

He was talking about the ex-Geelong player Matthew Egan whose career was destroyed by a navicular injury... Was a very handy player too.

Whilst I'm no fan of Higgins you never wish such an injury on anyone... As others have mentioned hopefully he recovers well and can get back to playing the type of footy we hope he can.

Bulldog4life
16-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Super bad luck to Shaun. Here's hoping that he can get over this difficult injury and play good footy for the doggies again.

soupman
16-04-2013, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see Fletcher Roberts given an opportunity in the forward line at some stage too.

Probably won't be soon, He played in the Willy seconds on the weekend.

westbulldog
16-04-2013, 12:04 PM
We would all of course wish Shaun Higgins and Tori Dickson a speedy recovery. That said, whether it was their injury or not they would not have been in contention for selection.

LostDoggy
16-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Probably won't be soon, He played in the Willy seconds on the weekend.

Is that more due to the Willi rule of only playing a certain number of AFL listed players?

soupman
16-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Is that more due to the Willi rule of only playing a certain number of AFL listed players?

I'm sure it was a contributing factor.

They may have also steered away from having an additional kpp in a side that contained Wood, Williamsx2, Markovic, Austin, Talia and other bigger guys like Grant and Stringer

Murphy'sLore
16-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Be careful what you wish for.

F'scary
16-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Hopefully he can recover and have another great pre-season in 2014.

KT31
16-04-2013, 04:00 PM

You bad !!;)

bulldogtragic
16-04-2013, 04:56 PM
God that's funny, a little cruel, a lot true, but hilarious. :) :) :)