PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 4

GVGjr
21-04-2013, 07:33 PM
This is the round 4 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.
Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers= 3 guys that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors= 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

always right
21-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Bankers:
Cooney.....shone out like a beacon amongst the dross
Morris.....game would have been over at quarter time without him
Couldn't really find a third.

Anchors:
JJ....turnover city today. Goodes likewise but also did some useful things against the tide.
Jones....must find a way to get involved in the game
Majority of the team who appeared to be incapable of getting in first for the ball.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Bankers:

Cooney some of his breaking away from the stoppages was vintage. If he can remain at this level without further discomfort from his knee, he can still be a force.

Roughead- is really looking more and more confident as a defender with each week, in one on one's.

Morris: Was fantastic early, and still clearly beat Walker on the day.

Anchors:

1. Collectively we lack skill, across each line

2. Cordy- early on looked lively, but as the game wore on his kicking became woeful, his hands like they were caked with butter.

3. Our mids led by Boyd, Griff, Libba and Wallis, are experts at the get ball-no look kick or handball from the stoppage that almost without fail goes to the opposition. I think I'd rather them get tackled and get paid holding the ball than this garbage.

comrade
21-04-2013, 07:55 PM
3. Our mids led by Boyd, Griff, Libba and Wallis, are experts at the get ball-no look kick or handball from the stoppage that almost without fail goes to the opposition. I think I'd rather them get tackled and get paid holding the ball than this garbage.

This has been a problem for years. If it's even slightly damp, we stop looking for options up field and just kick blindly. Last year's demolition against the Swans is another example.

On the positive side, Macrae did try and think his way through contested situations and was able to find time and space that the like of Boyd and Wallis don't have.

He will be a beauty, IMO.

LostDoggy
21-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Bankers:
Cooney.....shone out like a beacon amongst the dross
Morris.....game would have been over at quarter time without him
Couldn't really find a third.

You know when you have a bad day or weekend, and then something so pathetic (but true) just makes you laugh?
This was mine.

LostDoggy
21-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Bankers

Cooney: Best game for probably a few seasons.
Libba: Rebounded well after a disappointing outing last week.
Goodes: Made a couple of howlers but continued to back himself in all day.

Anchors

Gia: Couldn't get near it.
Jones: Tough conditions but same as above.
Dahl: Ridiculous facial hair.

The bulldog tragician
21-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Bankers:
Great to see Cooney with the old zip.
Morris just gives and gives. All heart and wills himself into contests.
Just to finally see McRae and Stringer..both showed a glimpse of something exciting. Welcome aboard, what a shame that had to be their memories of first games.

Anchors:
The decline of Gia is really sad.
Two quarters of footy... One point. It was excruciating.
I thought Jones might have had a breakout game last week, but it was another false dawn.

Cyberdoggie
21-04-2013, 09:34 PM
This has been a problem for years. If it's even slightly damp, we stop looking for options up field and just kick blindly. Last year's demolition against the Swans is another example.

On the positive side, Macrae did try and think his way through contested situations and was able to find time and space that the like of Boyd and Wallis don't have.

He will be a beauty, IMO.

Best 1 step across the body snap goal kicker from outside 30m i've seen.
Seems to kick one every game. Won't take him long to be a standout in this side with his class.

Funny how the wet track conditions really shows up our weaknesses. Pace, Fitness, Strength, Marking ability, decision making, Skill level.

Not many other skills left really is there. :)

Sedat
21-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Bankers:

Cooney was head and shoulders above all comers for the Dogs today. We literally would have struggled to score without him today. Even though he made a couple of howlers, I can forgive Goodes for doing so trying to actually spot up targets and initiate some positive ball movement. I'll give Tutt a pat on the back for at least learning from his half-hearted efforts in close last season and really applying some strong defensive pressure today. As Rocco pointed out, some more offensive outside run to compliment the defensive work would be a better balance.

Anchors:

Dahl was dreadful in conditions tailor made for him. He is horribly out of form at the moment and not far away from a spell in the twos to rediscover some form. Picken is utterly out of his depth as a small defender and offers little more than turnovers at the moment. What happened to that maniacal lock down tagger who completely terrorised the opposition outside guns? Special mention to our coaching panel, who did nothing to counter Adelaide's set up at stoppages - we conceded so many easy clearances out the back all game. In wet and slippery conditions, gifting first use under little pressure time and again was an indictment on BMac and our midfield stoppage coaches. Sloane had a picnic all game.

Ghost Dog
21-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Bankers:

Cooney was head and shoulders above all comers for the Dogs today. We literally would have struggled to score without him today. Even though he made a couple of howlers, I can forgive Goodes for doing so trying to actually spot up targets and initiate some positive ball movement. I'll give Tutt a pat on the back for at least learning from his half-hearted efforts in close last season and really applying some strong defensive pressure today. As Rocco pointed out, some more offensive outside run to compliment the defensive work would be a better balance.

Anchors:

Dahl was dreadful in conditions tailor made for him. He is horribly out of form at the moment and not far away from a spell in the twos to rediscover some form. Picken is utterly out of his depth as a small defender and offers little more than turnovers at the moment. What happened to that maniacal lock down tagger who completely terrorised the opposition outside guns? Special mention to our coaching panel, who did nothing to counter Adelaide's set up at stoppages - we conceded so many easy clearances out the back all game. In wet and slippery conditions, gifting first use under little pressure time and again was an indictment on BMac and our midfield stoppage coaches. Sloane had a picnic all game.

I thought statistically ( and it means little ) we did ok in contested possessions.
We're so predictable now. We play ok, and the scoreboard doesn't really reflect our efforts, but if you concede goals as easily as we do, that's what you get. It's not to knock our backs either, who played their hearts out. It's that dumbass, blind kick out of the 50, and the moment it comes off the boot, you think, I bet someone's waiting to swallow that, and sure enough...

As you said, Cooney gives us that spark, and in one article I read, the title read " Cooney V Adelaide" or something similar.

bornadog
21-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Bankers

* Per everyone else - Cooney, great to see some of his speed back and class.

* Macrae - Pretty good debut in wet conditions and nice goal as well.

* Goodes - Other than the ONE bad mistake, he was one of our better players, picking up lots of the ball and repelling the Crows constant attack.

Anchors

* Midfield - racked up possession after possession only to give it back or hand ball or kick into a pack and no influence on the game.

* Dahl - out of form. Had a better last quarter but 5 disposals (none in the third) till 3 quarter time.

* Gia - as Gough once said "its time" - thank you for the memories.

boydogs
21-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Bankers
Cooney - Keeps getting better and better
Macrae - Seemed to find his feet pretty quickly, did some good work
Stringer - Also came to terms with the pace of the game very quickly, despite being the sub

Anchors
Gia - Really needed him to stand up today with Dickson, Higgins & Murphy out, instead he got the red vest
Jones - Gave us nothing, disappointing after he appeared to show improvement last week
Griffen - Singling him out for 13% disposal efficiency. Boyd lucky to escape at 39%

Ozza
22-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Bankers:

Cooney - obviously
Macrae - showed the others what 'poise' means.
Tutt - encouragement award 'slap' - as per Sedat's earlier post. Showed a good tackling intent - and I'd like to see him stay in the side for a while as he gives us run and long kicking ability.

Anchors:

Lower - he was obviously struggling on Danger early. I can excuse that. What I can't excuse was when he was with Crouch, got beaten - and then let Crouch get a further 15 metres past him to receive a handball and kick a crushing goal in the 3rd quarter. That, and the few times he got the ball, he was poor.

Gia - played Otten into some form. Can't get near the ball with his slow legs. I can't see how you could play him next week.

Dahlhaus - as other have said - having a bad year so far. Needed to be the one getting into positions to be dangerous in those conditions. He only stepped up his intensity for the first 5 minutes of the last quarter - not good enough.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-04-2013, 12:56 PM
The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.[/QUOTE]

Today is the anniversary of The Banker's death. He's missed out on some crap footy but he would have loved Jake the peg and New Wave Jackson Macrae. He would have enjoyed being part of the WOOF community and been insightful and interactive. Vale Tim.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-04-2013, 01:11 PM
"The great secret of death, and perhaps its deepest connection with us, is this: that, in taking from us a being we have loved and venerated, death does not wound us without, at the same time, lifting us toward a more perfect understanding of this being and of ourselves". RM Rilke

Bulldog Joe
22-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Surprised that there is no love for Minson.

While there were some suggesting he got smashed by Maric, if that is the guideline he smashed Jacobs this week. I did disagree that he got smashed and I don't suggest he "smashed" Jacobs, but he did clearly win his position. We didn't have many who could claim that.

Will continues to show he is a very good ruckman and is one of the players we can rely on to be competitive. Surely the true definition of a banker.

always right
22-04-2013, 02:04 PM

While there were some suggesting he got smashed by Maric, if that is the guideline he smashed Jacobs this week. I did disagree that he got smashed and I don't suggest he "smashed" Jacobs, but he did clearly win his position. We didn't have many who could claim that.

Will continues to show he is a very good ruckman and is one of the players we can rely on to be competitive. Surely the true definition of a banker.

He certainly won his position convincingly Joe and I had him in our best four. He's having a good year so far and it's at least one position we don't have to think about too much each round.

SlimPickens
22-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Bankers.
Minson- best big man on the ground and a nice return to form.

Cooney- loved watching him today, needs some mates.

McCrae- looks a natural. Was a solid debut.

Anchors-
Gia- liability today. Couldn't believe how easy e gave up front spot on a wet day. Really poor today.

Dumb wet weather- it can't be that hard.

Our structures around the contest- I watched time after time our players point to where we should set our structures and no one take responsibility to do it. They know what they need to do, so bloody do it.

EasternWest
22-04-2013, 03:06 PM

He's in my votes.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-04-2013, 05:22 PM
The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Today is the anniversary of The Banker's death. He's missed out on some crap footy but he would have loved Jake the peg and New Wave Jackson Macrae. He would have enjoyed being part of the WOOF community and been insightful and interactive. Vale Tim.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding us of this. The Banker was a great contributor here.