PDA

View Full Version : Round 5 Preview v Geelong

bornadog
26-04-2013, 12:15 AM
When and Where
Round Five - Western Bulldogs vs Geelong - Saturday 27 April, 7.40pm AEST -Eithad Stadium

The last time they met
Round 22, 26 Aug 2012 Simonds Stadium Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs 107-73

Boyd 46 disposals, Hawkins with 4 goals.
Brownlow Votes: 3: C Enright, 2: M Boyd, 1: J Bartel

The previous games against the Cats

Round 9, 25 May 2012 Etihad Stadium Western Bulldogs defeated by Geelong 75-95 S. -
Round 11, 4 Jun 2011 Simonds Stadium Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs 148-87
Round 20, 14 Aug 2010 Etihad Stadium Western Bulldogs defeated by Geelong 60-161
Second Qualifying Final, 5 Sep 2009 MCG Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs 96-82 L.
Round 21, 21 Aug 2009 Etihad Stadium Western Bulldogs defeat Geelong 110-96.
Round 9, 22 May 2009 Etihad Stadium Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs 116-114
Preliminary Final, 19 Sep 2008 MCG Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs 83-54 D.
Round 16, 19 Jul 2008 Simonds Stadium Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs 131-70
Round 16, 20 Jul 2007 Etihad Stadium Geelong defeats Western Bulldogs 138-63

Selection conundrums and debutants

Injuries to key senior players has provided a number of opportunities to introduce new players with Macrae and Stringer holding their spots and Austin elavated from the Rookie list for his first game in 2013. Vez gets another oportunity after some good form at VFL level.

Injuries

Despite a great preseason from an injury perspective the Bulldogs have copped a few to key senior players with the most notable being Griffen.

Geelong lose Paul CHapman to a Hammy

Key Match-ups

Hawkins v Roughead - Hawkins hasn't been in great form and Roughead is still learning the ropes. Although Hawkins kicked 4 last time they met, I thought Roughead acquitted himself well. This will be a great battle.

Selwood v Lower - Lower has been caught short of pace over the past two weeks with tough assignments against speedy opponents. Selwood is a real in and under player which should suit Lower to the ground.

Stevie Johnson v ? This will really depend on where Johnson plays. If he is in the forwrad line , Morris will take him, if he is roaming around like he has been then perhaps Cross will go with him.

Selected side

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled_zpsf3567e6c.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/Untitled_zpsf3567e6c.jpg.html)

For the Dogs to Win

All 22 players need to be at their best and not only crack in, they must stick to the game plan set by the MC and position themselves where they are supposed to be at stoppages. Kicking goals may be an issue with the forward line decimated with injuries. Vez, Jones, Dahl, Stringer all need to take their opportunities and kick goals. It all starts from the backline through to the midfield and they need to deliver the ball well into the forward line, otherwise the rebound from the Geelong backline will see the ball go goal to goal.

Summary and prediction

Cannot see such a young team beating a seasoned Geelong who are undefeated to this point. The boys must stick to the plan, stay competitive for 4 quarters and not let this be another blow out.

Geelong by 33 points.

mjp
26-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I have been trying not to think about this one too much...enjoyed the preview though and thing you have it in one - for us to win our forwards need to score multiple goals and one of them needs to collect a 5 or 6 goal haul...

Greystache
26-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Very impressive preview BAD, some nice new additions too.

I'm not confident about this one. I'd settle for a competitive effort like last year but not sure we'll get it.

Remi Moses
26-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Great write up BAD.
Just hoping for a competitive effort and some positive signs.
Stringer to kick 6:p

Go_Dogs
26-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Great work on the preview BAD, thanks.

Like most, expecting a pretty ugly result on Saturday night, but hopefully we see some more positives from the younger players and we can tough it out.

LostDoggy
26-04-2013, 09:10 AM
This could be very ugly, but as long as its not near Dean Baileys last game scoreline.

Hotdog60
26-04-2013, 09:14 AM
I liked the write up good work, if we can keep it tight for 4 quarters who knows. We have some unknown elements this week that if it's tight may play to our advantage.

Vespa has been in good form and if Geelong don't rate him he may get under the radar and kick a few, let hope his good form flows on.

Jake Stringer may also put in a little cameo and if the Cats don't think he is ready yet and may also get a couple. So we have some unknown elements that may help us out, well I wishing it.

Dogs by 4:D

Bulldog Joe
26-04-2013, 09:56 AM
A look through the experience profile shows why we will struggle.

Cats have a nice blend
8 with under 50 games
7 between 50 and 150
7 over 150

Dogs
16 under 50
2 50-150
4 over 150.

You can only play those you have who are fit and able. Hope to see some good signs in competitive spirit, but hard to beleive we can threaten at all.

G-Mo77
26-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Stevie Johnson v ? This will really depend on where Johnson plays. If he is in the forwrad line , Morris will take him, if he is roaming around like he has been then perhaps Cross will go with him.

If my memory serves me correctly and there is a good chance it doesn't but Stevie J had a field day last time we played against them at Etihad. He'll push up the ground so I think Morris may take him in stages when he goes into the midfield it's a real concern. Maybe Picken could run with him and I think he got the job when we played them 2nd time around?

Eastdog
26-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Very good preview BAD. I always tip us each week and this week will be no different but realistically I fear that this could be ugly. Geelong have recruited very well and have some quality youngsters in their side. I'm hoping we put in a competitive effort for 4 quarters and stick with the Cats. I would not like us to see us do quite well in the first half and then get pounced in the second half and lose by 100 odd. The forward line is a worry.

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Yep, we need goals.

We cant beat them without Dahlhaus, Cooney, Vez, Jones, Stringer, even Macrae kicking a few - without Gia, Higgins, Griffen, Dickson it looks a task

I hope Vez tears it up, he looks as fit as hes ever been with us, and some guys just take longer to mature - would love to see it happen for him.

Might Roughie go forward? Without Ayce and with Austin coming into the team could Roughie go forward and alternate with Will in the ruck?

Would we really field a defence with Morris, Austin, Young and Roughie?

Eastdog
26-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Yep, we need goals.

We cant beat them without Dahlhaus, Cooney, Vez, Jones, Stringer, even Macrae kicking a few - without Gia, Higgins, Griffen, Dickson it looks a task

I hope Vez tears it up, he looks as fit as hes ever been with us, and some guys just take longer to mature - would love to see it happen for him.

Might Roughie go forward? Without Ayce and with Austin coming into the team could Roughie go forward and alternate with Will in the ruck?

Would we really field a defence with Morris, Austin, Young and Roughie?

How do you reckon Jones will go at FF? We all know his a good contested mark but his kicking at goal is not the best.

jeemak
26-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Great effort BAD, enjoyed reading it.

I'm really struggling to see how we can be quick enough or smart enough across the ground to compete with Geelong's system. They're very well drilled.

Rance Fan
26-04-2013, 11:37 AM
How do you reckon Jones will go at FF? We all know his a good contested mark but his kicking at goal is not the best.

Can't see him getting many touches against Lonergan or Taylor.
Especially if the ball is bombed down without much purpose due to poor skills and pressure.
Hope he contests and chases. Don't want them running off him or going up the other end and kicking goals.
Quite possible Taylor will kick more goals than Jones

I hope Im wrong! Im a big fan of Jones. Fingers crossed he can kick a number

soupman
26-04-2013, 11:55 AM

You would imagine Rouhead will continue his defensive development and play full back on hawkins for the entire match. Jones will be the one to give Will a chop out when required.

bulldogsman
26-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the preview BAD. Seems strange, but I'd be happy with a 33 point loss.

I think Picken may have to play on Johnson when in the midfield. Interesting that he's been named up forward.

Mantis
26-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Gee our recent form against Geelong really sucks, 1-8... but I doubt many teams would look much better given their recent dominance.

Hopefully we can kick a few goals, going to be tough against a high quality & very experienced defence, but I hope the likes of Jones, Stringer & Vez can win their share of the ball.

Going on our last 2 games a margain inside 10 goals would have to seen as a positive... How depressing. :o

Hotdog60
26-04-2013, 12:09 PM

I would beg to differ on the not the best at kicking for goal. This season he has put a lot of work in his set shot kicking and although the stats say he's 50-50 if he got more of the ball and took more set shots that stat may change.

His one good game so far was the Richmond one were he kicked 4 - 1, on previous seasons that may have been different.

lemmon
26-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I think its a huge game for the club, not in that I think we're a chance for the result but if we get rolled by 100+ all media eyes turn to Macca and they wont leave until we have another win

Mantis
26-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I think its a huge game for the club, not in that I think we're a chance for the result but if we get rolled by 100+ all media eyes turn to Macca and they wont leave until we have another in

Yep... it will be welcome to Melbourne's world.

This week there was a slight shift away from Neeld towards Voss, but if we cop a pantsing we will come under scrutiny.... and given how bad our recent record reads I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Cyberdoggie
26-04-2013, 01:34 PM

This week there was a slight shift away from Neeld towards Voss, but if we cop a pantsing we will come under scrutiny.... and given how bad our recent record reads I'm surprised it's taken this long.

Then we fly over to West Coke the following week. Not really a happy hunting ground over there. If we can't run out games at Etihad and Football Park, then we will be dead on our feet over in the west.

This Geelong game will be a huge test for the coach. Three bad performances in a row won't help many keep the faith.

Greystache
26-04-2013, 01:50 PM
If my memory serves me correctly and there is a good chance it doesn't but Stevie J had a field day last time we played against them at Etihad. He'll push up the ground so I think Morris may take him in stages when he goes into the midfield it's a real concern. Maybe Picken could run with him and I think he got the job when we played them 2nd time around?

Murphy played on him that day and from memory he got the 3 Brownlow votes. We were in that game very late, he was probably the difference in the end. Morris' record on him is pretty patchy (as most player's records are to be fair), but he's probably the best match up. Picken may be worth a try but he's not filling me with massive confidence at the moment.

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Murphy played on him that day and from memory he got the 3 Brownlow votes. We were in that game very late, he was probably the difference in the end. Morris' record on him is pretty patchy (as most player's records are to be fair), but he's probably the best match up. Picken may be worth a try but he's not filling me with massive confidence at the moment.

I prefer the Picken matchup

Johnson and Fevola are the only two I think that have beaten Morris more times than he's beaten them. I think Morris is a bad matchup on him.

Jones will be the one to give Will a chop out when required.

That will create an interesting dimension, haven't seen Jones in the centre square much in recent times, so then would we expect Austin to be the sub?

Mantis
26-04-2013, 02:38 PM

Johnson and Fevola are the only two I think that have beaten Morris more times than he's beaten them. I think Morris is a bad matchup on him.

Morris owned Fev... the only time Fev kicked goals against us was when he was on Lake.

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Morris owned Fev... the only time Fev kicked goals against us was when he was on Lake.

We clearly have very different memories then

Sedat
26-04-2013, 04:38 PM
My recollections of Morris are that he has genuinely been beaten only a handful of times throughout his career, and most of those times have been at the hands of Stevie J.

soupman
26-04-2013, 04:55 PM

That will create an interesting dimension, haven't seen Jones in the centre square much in recent times, so then would we expect Austin to be the sub?

You would expect Austin to play on Pods so no sub.

Our substitute will probably be Smith or Veszpremi.

Mantis
26-04-2013, 05:02 PM
We clearly have very different memories then

Fev kicked 27 goals in 12 games against us... He kicked 6 of these when opposed to Lake in 2008.

bornadog
26-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Tom Young turns 21 today and Jake Stringer 19 yesterday - these are our KPP's.

F'scary
26-04-2013, 06:37 PM

Goooo Western BeeDees. I particularly like the way that chap with the number 5 on his back plays. Anyone thought of making him captain, eh?

DOG GOD
26-04-2013, 06:44 PM
I think a scoreline of cats - 23 goals, dogs - 7 goals could be the go unfortunately. Just cannot see us being able to score.

Ghost Dog
26-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Don't die with the music in you boys. Take the game on and go in with the confidence that we can work together and win battles.
I'll be at the game and cheering the lads on. Carpe Diem. GO DOGGIES

F'scary
26-04-2013, 06:59 PM
You never know. With the pressure that comes from expectations off us, our guys might come out really focused with a devil-may-care throw caution to winds approach. Geelong might be mentally switched off, perhaps thinking they only have to run out on the ground to win, perhaps already thinking about next week's more important match.

Ghost Dog
26-04-2013, 07:11 PM
smaller ground. has to work better for us than AAMI

Rocco Jones
27-04-2013, 12:35 PM
My recollections of Morris are that he has genuinely been beaten only a handful of times throughout his career, and most of those times have been at the hands of Stevie J.

Yep. Testing the memory here but I think Shaggy was our best up against Stevie J. I think Stevie J style of pushing up the ground really exposes Dale.

Either way I would like us to keep it simple for Morris so soon after his comeback and play him on similar opponents.

Greystache
27-04-2013, 12:43 PM

If we're being honest Riewoldt has beaten him on almost all occasions too. Morris has tried hard but Riewoldt has been the match winner in many games between us and St Kilda.

Rocco Jones
27-04-2013, 12:58 PM
If we're being honest Riewoldt has beaten him on almost all occasions too. Morris has tried hard but Riewoldt has been the match winner in many games between us and St Kilda.

Dale is so often our martyr. When a forward opponent is going to smash us, we go with Dale because he is going to get hammered least. He deserves many a Bulldog virgin upon his retirement.

Sedat
27-04-2013, 01:06 PM
He's beaten Morris a few times but Morris has also negated his influence and kept him well under control a few times as well. If we're talking the 2009 PF, Morris absolutely pantsed Reiwoldt in the first half and kept him goalless, all with a fractured leg mind you. Reiwoldt only got going in the 2nd half courtesy of Shane McInerney, and a couple of key marks he took in the 2nd half were the result of turnovers further upfield (Tim Callan, Akermanis out on the full). Hayes has been the player that has consistently destroyed the Dogs time and again.

Stevie J is the only player I can think of who has consistently proven too much for Dale to handle.

bornadog
27-04-2013, 02:03 PM
He's beaten Morris a few times but Morris has also negated his influence and kept him well under control a few times as well. If we're talking the 2009 PF, Morris absolutely pantsed Reiwoldt in the first half and kept him goalless, all with a fractured leg mind you. Reiwoldt only got going in the 2nd half courtesy of Shane McInerney, and a couple of key marks he took in the 2nd half were the result of turnovers further upfield (Tim Callan, Akermanis out on the full). Hayes has been the player that has consistently destroyed the Dogs time and again.

Stevie J is the only player I can think of who has consistently proven too much for Dale to handle.

2008 quarter final, Buddy first half

Maddog37
27-04-2013, 04:26 PM
2008 quarter final, Buddy first half

Bruce Doull would ave struggled that night BAD.

bornadog
27-04-2013, 04:58 PM

True, it was a mismatch if I ever saw one. Lake should have been on Buddy from the first bounce. Can hardly blame Morris conceding 8cms.

Maddog37
27-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Lake did very well in the second half. We had a habit of nervous starts in finals too which didn't help.

Greystache
27-04-2013, 05:34 PM
True, it was a mismatch if I ever saw one. Lake should have been on Buddy from the first bounce. Can hardly blame Morris conceding 8cms.

Definitely a bad match up, the years following showed Lake had Franklin's measure. He got to the point where he had Buddy beaten mentally before the game even started, it reminded me of Carey vs Jackovic.

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Jesus, Zeus, Skywalker, whoever you name would have struggled that night

That said, was Dale on him - didn't we go with Lake or Williams, and then the other on Roughie, and swap them only for Roughie to take a few pearlers also

For the amount of ball directed at Riewoldt I've always felt Dale has done a great job

I've also stated I never liked Dale on SJohnson or Fevola in his later years with Carlton, but Bradshaw also showed what a class act he was against Dale in finals, but it was only ever SJohnson or Fevola that worried me in terms of a matchup

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Jesus, Zeus, Skywalker, whoever you name would have struggled that night

That said, was Dale on him - didn't we go with Lake or Williams, and then the other on Roughie, and swap them only for Roughie to take a few pearlers also

For the amount of ball directed at Riewoldt I've always felt Dale has done a great job

I've also stated I never liked Dale on SJohnson or Fevola in his later years with Carlton, but Bradshaw also showed what a class act he was against Dale in finals, but it was only ever SJohnson or Fevola that worried me in terms of a matchup

I'm pretty certain that Lake played on Bradshaw that night. He kicked something like 2.4 didn't he?