PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 6 vs WCE

GVGjr
27-04-2013, 11:26 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next week's game against West Coast on Sunday at Subiaco?

As always a brief explanation for you changes would be appreciated.

EasternWest
27-04-2013, 11:36 PM
Out: Veszpremi - for the term of his natural life.
In: Don't care, just not Veszpremi.

Where is Pearce at? Can we get him in?

LostDoggy
27-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Don't forget to include Goodes in the outs. Can't see him getting off that head high hit.

bornadog
27-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Out: Veszpremi - for the term of his natural life.
In: Don't care, just not Veszpremi.

Where is Pearce at? Can we get him in?

This I well and truly
agree with. Vez not up to AFL standard

comrade
27-04-2013, 11:45 PM
I wish Vez gave a reason to keep him in but it seems he didn't fire a shot.

Out: Vez
In: Grant

Rance Fan
27-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Out

Vesz, Goodes

In

Pearce, Addison

Hotdog60
27-04-2013, 11:48 PM
I'd go with no change unless the panel give Goodes a rest.

If Goodes is out, Pearce in.

The Underdog
27-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Any chance Murphy is ready next week?
He'd be very handy.

Dog54
28-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Out

Vez sorry but just panics with speed of game

Goodies in trouble

Ins

Grant

Addison

Rocco Jones
28-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Tonight Vez demonstrated all the doubts over his ability to play at the highest standard. He couldn't get near it and when he did, he couldn't deal with the pressure.

On Roughy. I am definitely a fan of him playing back but I believe for the greater good of the team he needs to play in the role he did tonight. I know we are in development phase but I believe it helps the greater development of the team

In/ Addison, Pearce (if Goodes is suspended)
Out/ Vez, Goodes (if suspended)

Remi Moses
28-04-2013, 12:34 AM
No Change but if Goodes goes
In Pearce
Out Goodes
I'd keep Vez in. Needs an extended run.

westbulldog
28-04-2013, 12:35 AM
In/ Addison, Pearce (if Goodes is suspended)
Out/ Vez, Goodes (if suspended)

agree with that

Don''t play Marko, if selected, on Kennedy.

bulldogsman
28-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Griffen is a chance this week, Murph is at least another week away going by the injury list.

GVGjr
28-04-2013, 12:49 AM
I really need a bit more time to reflect but (subject to change) I'll go with the following.

Out - Macrae, Veszpremi and Goodes
In - Howard, Addison and Grant

Macrae should be rested, Veszpremi needed to do better and Goodes needs a week to freshen up.

AndrewP6
28-04-2013, 01:32 AM
There are two of these threads.

In: Addison, Pearce
Out: Vez (want him to do well, but just don't see him making it) Goodes.

Will have to revise if Griff/Murph get up.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2013, 01:36 AM
I really need a bit more time to reflect but (subject to change) I'll go with the following.

Macrae should be rested, Veszpremi needed to do better and Goodes needs a week to freshen up.

Out: Vezpremi, JJ ( was good tonight, but cramped badly for much of the 4th. Give him a rest, but well done tonight - tried hard )

Vezpremi lacks the composure we need from a player of that age. His kicks are a bit "Auskick" for my liking.
Addison and Pearce are flexible enough to fill and switch roles as needed. Addison adds a bit of hardness. We need to protect our younger players.

Scraggers
28-04-2013, 02:08 AM
There are two of these threads.

Out: Vez (want him to do well, but just don't see him making it) Goodes.

Will have to revise if Griff/Murph get up.

Not any more

Greystache
28-04-2013, 02:17 AM
Unless injury or suspension applies- No change

comrade
28-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Unless injury or suspension applies- No change

You're backing in Vez? I agree that dropping a guy after 1 bad game on the back of really good VFL form is harsh but how many weeks has he got to show something?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-04-2013, 02:51 AM
I'd be inclined to give Vez another shot, even though he didn't get near it tonight. Probably worth giving him 3-4 games and then making a definitive call on his future. Obviously he's slim odds at making it but I think we can afford another chance, at least until Murph returns.

Goodes should be rested if he's not suspended. Needs to stop turning it over.

I disliked Tutt's game and do not rate him whatsoever but I see him in a similar position to Vez. Play him for the time being.

IN: Addison
OUT: Goodes

LostDoggy
28-04-2013, 08:24 AM
I'd be inclined to give Vez another shot, even though he didn't get near it tonight. Probably worth giving him 3-4 games and then making a definitive call on his future. Obviously he's slim odds at making it but I think we can afford another chance, at least until Murph returns.

I disliked Tutt's game and do not rate him whatsoever but I see him in a similar position to Vez. Play him for the time being.

IN: Addison
OUT: Goodes
Almost totally agree with this on Tutt and Vez - doubt either will make it, but give them rope.

Goodes is killing us in crucial parts of the game with turnovers - MRP may give him a rest.

Pearce to come in. Unless we are replacing a slowish mid with poor skills Addison should not get a game.

By the way loved the use of Roughead. Just hope Cordy finds some sustained form so Rough can go back which is where he will add a lot of value long term.

westdog54
28-04-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm also in the 'Give Vez another crack at it' camp for this week.

Absolutely no doubt that Goodes will get a holiday. Form mine Pearce comes in, has shown some good signs at Willy and has earned a recall.

Go_Dogs
28-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Absolutely no doubt that Goodes will get a holiday. Form mine Pearce comes in, has shown some good signs at Willy and has earned a recall.

Agree with that one.

I'm certainly one for giving players an extended run in the seniors (or at least, more than one game in which they get subbed off) but I just can't see the merits in going with Vez again. He was just getting some confidence up at Willy and played a career best game, let him go back and do that for a month and if he does, he gets another chance.

So...

Outs: Goodes (rest/suspended), Veszpremi
Ins: Pearce, Addison

Edit: If Macrae needs a rest, bring in Howard.

Cyberdoggie
28-04-2013, 10:46 AM
You're backing in Vez? I agree that dropping a guy after 1 bad game on the back of really good VFL form is harsh but how many weeks has he got to show something?

I'd leave him in for another week as the sub. Perhaps he may show something when everyone is fatigued in the last at Subi, and the game is more at his speed.
I admit he had an ordinary game but should be given another shot. The disapointing aspect for me was the fact he didn't work hard defensively. Was relying on others too much to feed it to him instead of trying to win his own ball. If he's not given the opportunity next week to show that he has learned something then you are just opening yourselves up to a revolving door policy.

bornadog
28-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I'd leave him in for another week as the sub. Perhaps he may show something when everyone is fatigued in the last at Subi, and the game is more at his speed.
I admit he had an ordinary game but should be given another shot. The disapointing aspect for me was the fact he didn't work hard defensively. Was relying on others too much to feed it to him instead of trying to win his own ball. If he's not given the opportunity next week to show that he has learned something then you are just opening yourselves up to a revolving door policy.

He has basically made no improvement in the three years with the club. Last night proved he isn't up to it. I would rather bring in Grant and Howard and let's see where they are at.

Mofra
28-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I'd give him just one more week. He's jumped from an easy VFL win to playing unbeaten Geelong in the AFL. I want to see improvement - for example I thought Tutt was better this week than last.

Greystache
28-04-2013, 11:15 AM

I think his VFL form was outstanding and demanded selection, so I think he should get 2-3 games to show something before he gets dropped. He was horrible yesterday though.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I'd give him just one more week. He's jumped from an easy VFL win to playing unbeaten Geelong in the AFL. I want to see improvement - for example I thought Tutt was better this week than last.

Evasive skills ++ Decision making - -

EasternWest
28-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Evasive skills ++ Decision making - -

Actually I respected his decision last night, after he went for that nice run, to pull back. He had no good options forward so he decided that keeping possession was more important than blazing away. It was the right move, despite how unattractive it looked.

My problem with him is that it was his only effort for the match. He's been in the system long enough. At two clubs. He's had enough chances to step up. I understand people wanting to persist with him - he can clearly play - but that's what frustrated me the most. I've had enough of waiting for him, time to put our energies into another player.

comrade
28-04-2013, 01:40 PM
If Goodes goes, what about Howard?

I think we need to know definitively if he can play at the highest level. We won't know that with him at Willy.

Give him an extended run. Tell him he's got 3 weeks minimum to get some credits in the bank and see how he goes. Otherwise, we may have already stamped his papers.

Rocco Jones
28-04-2013, 01:51 PM
If Goodes goes, what about Howard?

I think we need to know definitively if he can play at the highest level. We won't know that with him at Willy.

Give him an extended run. Tell him he's got 3 weeks minimum to get some credits in the bank and see how he goes. Otherwise, we may have already stamped his papers.

It seems to me that B-Mac picks guys demonstrating the 'right values' at Willi rather than simply stuff that gets you into the bests (bests coming from a club we have at best a strained relationship with). I am neither a huge fan or critic of B-Mac right now but I am totally with him in that regard.

If Howard has been consistently working hard for Willi and on the training track, I would definitely give him a go. I know it's simplistic but unlike Vez there isn't a huge risk of him just not contributing.

soupman
28-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Outs: Goodes, Austin
Ins: Pearce, Cordy

Goodes goes out suspended.

Pearce from all reports has been performing well in a variety of positions for Williamstown, and has shown good form at times in the AFL as a running half back. I really rate him and think he deserves the spot more than Howard.

Austin for Cordy. I wasn't impressed with Austin last night, but in the usual course of things I would give him another match or two. However the big ground of Subiaco means that Minson can't ruck it alone, and Roughead will be in defence to help deal with Darling, Kennedy and Cox.

Veszpremi was dissapointing last night, but he earnt his call up and deserves 3 games in a row to show that he has something. He is playing for his career but he is talented, and if we are going to back him in by giving him another year (this year) then we should make sure he actually gets a chance to justify it.

ratsmac
28-04-2013, 02:59 PM
I think his VFL form was outstanding and demanded selection, so I think he should get 2-3 games to show something before he gets dropped. He was horrible yesterday though.

I'm with you Greystache. Tutt was average last week (so was everyone) but showed something last night. He has to improve a lot with ball in hand, but he was given another go and there was improvement. Hopefully next week he steps it up a bit more.

Back on Ves, give him another go or it will probably destroy his confidence forever. He gave as much as Gia has of late! Very disappointing last night though.

DOG GOD
28-04-2013, 03:05 PM
I was devastated when Vez was subbed after cheering him on all week for a birth, but I feel he will be even more "slow paced" on subiaco oval, however i feel that dropping a guy after having really strong vfl form will kill his confidense forever, so vez stay for another week ( and fingers crossed). We certainly need runners so i'm more liking the idea of Pearce in to give us more run, so with that in mind...

In- Pearce

Out- goodes (no chance to get off)

Oh and after seeing Harry Taylor take us to the cleaners, I'm gunna make Kennedy my supercoach capt next week :)

wimberga
28-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Out - Goodes, possibly Boyd for the punch to Selwood

Ins - Griffen/Murph if fit, otherwise Pearce, possibly Addison.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Veszpremi was dissapointing last night, but he earnt his call up and deserves 3 games in a row to show that he has something. He is playing for his career but he is talented, and if we are going to back him in by giving him another year (this year) then we should make sure he actually gets a chance to justify it.

Well said Soupa.
I think if he's going to prove it, now's a good time. We're in development, so no real harm if we give him a shot. FWIW, I actually think his endeavor is ok. So we're that far ahead of the Everitt trade.

azabob
28-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Well said Soupa.
I think if he's going to prove it, now's a good time. We're in development, so no real harm if we give him a shot. FWIW, I actually think his endeavor is ok. So we're that far ahead of the Everitt trade.

But overall Everitt has played more games in a much better team, so from that point of view we are behind.

But having said that not sure Everitt would be playing senior football with us either.

wb_age
28-04-2013, 07:21 PM

You mean dropped, his disposal has been horrid other than round 1.

I'd keep Vez in for a few more weeks, he has put too much pressure on himself as was evident last night (he was absolutely spent when subbed off despite for little to no reward) and just needs to get his confidence up and believe he belongs. Dropping him would be equivalent to delisting him for mine.

w3design
29-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Absolutely no way we can go into this match without a second ruck. Also no way Roughy can come out of the 'Eagles land of the giants' to fill that role.

Secondly, we will get flogged if we take non contributors like Vez into this game just so we don't "destroy his confidence". Sorry that non performance was too bad to deserve a second week, given his prior lack lustre history.
Nor would I be considering Grant at this stage.

Griff and Murph are auto selections as soon as fit to play.

I am not entirely convinced there was much elbow in Goode's hit, I thought it was more shoulder, so despite our tribunal history I have yet to concede on him.

For mine if Goodes goes down then my ins and outs would be: Pearce for Goodes, and Cordy for Vez.

MrMahatma
29-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I'd keep Vez in. If we're fair dinkum about seeing if he's up to it he gets 3-4 weeks to have a crack. Why try him against the best in the comp, one bad game then dump?

I'd swap Goodes (def gone) for Pearce.
Boyd might go too. Bring in Addison I guess.

The rest I'd leave as is unless someone is banging the door down at Willi (like Vez was last week) or an auto selection (Murph/Griff) was available.

Ozza
29-04-2013, 10:35 AM
There is a chance Griffen will be fit enough to play. Macca seemed optimistic about his chances.
If thats the case

Out : Goodes (susp);
In: Griffen

...and Lower plays half back to fill Goodes' role. If Griff is not right - then Addison.

Vez was poor...I think I'm leaning towards giving him another opportunity. He is a confidence player - dropping him would be a big setback.

Murphy'sLore
29-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Question: who is captain if Boyd and Murphy are both unavailable?

Personally, I would love to see Morris take the job.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Leave Vezpremi in. We have perhaps even our last chance to introduce into AFL what he has to offer, which is considerable. We have nothing to lose with the current injuries and possible suspension and a lot to gain if he can showcase his obvious talent at the highest level.

Rocco Jones
29-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Question: who is captain if Boyd and Murphy are both unavailable?

Personally, I would love to see Morris take the job.

Griffen would be my next choice but he will probably miss too. I see Morris and Cooney as the next leaders but I'd prefer both of them to concentrate on getting their bodies right.

That leaves me with Liam Picken. Either way it's primarily tokenist for one week.

DragzLS1
29-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Am I missing something here? Is Boyd injured again?

I would leave Vez in.. He has the speed and is talented just needs his confidence up and eneds tot take the game on.

No changes unless Goodes has to go. Then I would bring in Addison. We do need experienced heads though and we need speed against the west coast. They will be hard to beat over there.

Just dont bring Gia or Cordy in this week!

wimberga
29-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Am I missing something here? Is Boyd injured again?

I would leave Vez in.. He has the speed and is talented just needs his confidence up and eneds tot take the game on.

No changes unless Goodes has to go. Then I would bring in Addison. We do need experienced heads though and we need speed against the west coast. They will be hard to beat over there.

Just dont bring Gia or Cordy in this week!

Boyd gave Selwood a tap in the stomach on the weekend. Selwood went down, then came off and went to the emergency umpire and told him what happened. so now Boyd is staring down the barrel of the MRP.

Filthy act from Selwood IMO. If you see the footage, there is nothing in it.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-western-bulldogs-will-be-sweating-over-skipper-matthew-boyds-hit-to-the-stomach-of-joel-selwood/story-fndv8weh-1226631054010

DragzLS1
29-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Boyd gave Selwood a tap in the stomach on the weekend. Selwood went down, then came off and went to the emergency umpire and told him what happened. so now Boyd is staring down the barrel of the MRP.

Filthy act from Selwood IMO. If you see the footage, there is nothing in it.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-western-bulldogs-will-be-sweating-over-skipper-matthew-boyds-hit-to-the-stomach-of-joel-selwood/story-fndv8weh-1226631054010

Sorry I missed the 2nd half of teh game and was watching the replay last night which coincidentally decided not to load teh 3rd qtr. There is no way he should cop anything for that! Selwood I had alot of respect for, but cmon that is just soft!

Hope Boyd doesnt miss..

bornadog
29-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Sorry I missed the 2nd half of teh game and was watching the replay last night which coincidentally decided not to load teh 3rd qtr. There is no way he should cop anything for that! Selwood I had alot of respect for, but cmon that is just soft!

Hope Boyd doesnt miss..

Boyd - Reprimand

Goodes - Two weeks

Glass - Two weeks

Brett Goodes, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with a level three engaging in rough conduct offence (325 demerit points, three-match sanction) for engaging in rough conduct against Josh Caddy, Geelong Cats, during the second quarter of the Round Five match between the Western Bulldogs and the Geelong Cats, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday April 27, 2013.

In summary, he can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Geelong Cats Football Club, the incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), high impact (three points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a level three offence, drawing 325 demerit points and a three-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 243.75 points and a two-match sanction.

Matthew Boyd, Western Bulldogs, has been charged with a level two striking offence (125 demerit points, one-match sanction) for striking Joel Selwood, Geelong Cats, during the third quarter of the Round Five match between the Western Bulldogs and the Geelong Cats, played at Etihad Stadium on Saturday April 27, 2013.

In summary, due to a six-year good record, he can accept a reprimand and 70.31 points towards his future record with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Geelong Cats Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct (three points), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a level two offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He has an existing six-year good record, reducing the penalty by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 93.75 points towards his future record. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 70.31 points towards his future record.

chef
29-04-2013, 05:54 PM
That leaves me with Liam Picken. Either way it's primarily tokenist for one week.

I'd go with Willie.

SlimPickens
29-04-2013, 06:00 PM
I'd go with Willie.

Could you imagine the pregame address?:D

Dry Rot
29-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Glass - Two weeks

What did Glass get done for? Jones will be happy - no Taylor last week (went up forward) and no Glass this week (rubbed out)

What are the rest of their tall defenders like?

bornadog
29-04-2013, 06:13 PM
What did Glass get done for? Jones will be happy - no Taylor last week (went up forward) and no Glass this week (rubbed out)

What are the rest of their tall defenders like?

see here (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2013/04/29/glass-ban-adds-to-eagles-woes/)

Cyberdoggie
29-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Why doesn't Cross ever get a mention for captain? surely he's next in line?

Rocco Jones
29-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Why doesn't Cross ever get a mention for captain? surely he's next in line?

I forgot Cross haha, yes him!

jeemak
30-04-2013, 12:48 AM
Agreed Cross should be captain if Boyd and Murphy were out.

Out - Goodes, Austin
In - Cordy, Griffen (if fit)

Many might disagree, but I think after a good showing in the twos Cordy deserves a chance to play in a forward line that has two other taller players that can command the ball and defending, as I think that's where he'll show his worth long term.

LostDoggy
30-04-2013, 09:14 AM

Honest question, why does Macrae need a rest? He was a sub last week. Don't recall him blowing up? :confused:

Out: Goodes, Vez

Mofra
30-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Out: Goodes
In: Pearce

Vez gets another week for me, DFA needs more match-time

whythelongface
30-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Agreed Cross should be captain if Boyd and Murphy were out.

Out - Goodes, Austin
In - Cordy, Griffen (if fit)

Many might disagree, but I think after a good showing in the twos Cordy deserves a chance to play in a forward line that has two other taller players that can command the ball and defending, as I think that's where he'll show his worth long term.

I can see Cordy's potential as a 2nd ruckman/ forward pocket as the third tall. I don't believe that he will develop into a FF and from what Stringer has shown we need to continue to develop him in that role.

My issue with Cordy in that role is whether he can apply enough defensive pressure to prevent the ball from exiting quickly from our forward 50. Forward defensive pressure is an area that McCartney is teaching our team and I am concerned that Cordy doesn't possess the pace and agility to be able to apply this pressure.

Mofra
30-04-2013, 11:07 AM
My issue with Cordy in that role is whether he can apply enough defensive pressure to prevent the ball from exiting quickly from our forward 50. Forward defensive pressure is an area that McCartney is teaching our team and I am concerned that Cordy doesn't possess the pace and agility to be able to apply this pressure.
I thought he was near the top of the list in terms of tackles inside 50 last year?

TBH I think he's better that some of the older brigade in terms of forwards applying defensive pressure.

whythelongface
30-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I thought he was near the top of the list in terms of tackles inside 50 last year?

TBH I think he's better that some of the older brigade in terms of forwards applying defensive pressure.

I wasn't aware of his stats in this area just a general observation and comment so if that is the case and he can apply the defensive required then all the more merit in terms of his selection as a 2nd ruck/ forward pocket.

His selection as a third tall option will potentially provide headaches for the oppostion as to whom to man up on.

Does Cordy's selection as a third tall in some way impede the way Jones and Stringer play (in particular Jones)? Jones has scored 4 goals in each of the games that Cordy has missed, thus does his selection crowd the forward line and minimise Jones' impact.

Cyberdoggie
30-04-2013, 12:02 PM
I heard on the radio that Nic Natanui looks like playing his first game for the season against us this week. :(

This will really make it hard for us to match up on WCE, Subi is a big ground and they are a much better side with Cox and Natanui rucking and playing forward.

Add to that Darling and Kennedy up forward we may have our hands full with their talls again.

Austin will definately play for mine.

whythelongface
30-04-2013, 12:05 PM
I heard on the radio that Nic Natanui looks like playing his first game for the season against us this week. :(

This will really make it hard for us to match up on WCE, Subi is a big ground and they are a much better side with Cox and Natanui rucking and playing forward.

Interesting. When was the last full game (including practice and reserve/ affiliate club matches) that he played? If it was last year he certainly wouldn't be match fit. Do you think they may use him as a sub?

chef
30-04-2013, 12:21 PM
What happened with Boyd?

Ozza
30-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I would be guessing - if he plays, they would start him out there - and sub him off some time in the 3rd quarter if all went to plan.

I wouldn't have thought they would sub him 'on' - only sub him 'off'. Teams are reluctant to use a tall player as a sub.

EasternWest
30-04-2013, 12:35 PM
What happened with Boyd?

Gave Selwood one in the guts, got a reduction for his good record. Free to play, about 70 pts carryover.

chef
30-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Gave Selwood one in the guts, got a reduction for his good record. Free to play, about 70 pts carryover.

Cool, thanks.

jeemak
30-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I wasn't aware of his stats in this area just a general observation and comment so if that is the case and he can apply the defensive required then all the more merit in terms of his selection as a 2nd ruck/ forward pocket.

His selection as a third tall option will potentially provide headaches for the oppostion as to whom to man up on.

Does Cordy's selection as a third tall in some way impede the way Jones and Stringer play (in particular Jones)? Jones has scored 4 goals in each of the games that Cordy has missed, thus does his selection crowd the forward line and minimise Jones' impact.

For a tall I think Cordy works pretty hard defensively.

I think all of Jones (CHF), Cordy (second ruck-forward pocket) and Stringer (FF) need to learn how to work together so they may as well get started on it now. Jones' output for mine is probably more likely linked to his work rate and attitude rather than the presence of Cordy.

bornadog
30-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Cool, thanks.

Boyd, Goodes accept MRP sanctions (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-04-30/boyd-goodes-accept-mrp-sanctions)

whythelongface
30-04-2013, 01:49 PM

I think all of Jones (CHF), Cordy (second ruck-forward pocket) and Stringer (FF) need to learn how to work together so they may as well get started on it now. Jones' output for mine is probably more likely linked to his work rate and attitude rather than the presence of Cordy.

Good points Jeemak. I do like the idea of having these three in the team together. Whilst the team is in the "re-build" phase there is no better time than now to learn how to play together.

LongWait
30-04-2013, 02:18 PM
There is a chance Griffen will be fit enough to play. Macca seemed optimistic about his chances.
If thats the case

Out : Goodes (susp);
In: Griffen

...and Lower plays half back to fill Goodes' role. If Griff is not right - then Addison.

Vez was poor...I think I'm leaning towards giving him another opportunity. He is a confidence player - dropping him would be a big setback.

I suspect that if Griffen doesn't come up then Howard might be selected: 19 disposals and 6 tackles on the weekend. Straight swap for Goodes.

EasternWest
30-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Cool, thanks.

No problemo. No doubt someone will give you a link, but I thought I'd just give you the info you wanted.

Edit: someone has linked FYI if you want further.

SlimPickens
30-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Out: Goodes (susp), Vez

In: Pearce, Addison.

Big job for our defenders this week. Roughy to Kennedy, Morris to Darling and Young on the resting ruckman.

Ozza
30-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Out: Goodes (susp), Vez

In: Pearce, Addison.

Big job for our defenders this week. Roughy to Kennedy, Morris to Darling and Young on the resting ruckman.

Slim, do you think its possible, when Cox rests forward, Rough will go to him, Morris to Kennedy and Young to go with Darling all day?

Some interesting combos in our defence in any case. Who would play on Le Cras?

Mofra
30-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Makes sense.
Eade did this early on with the defensive group - it was painful initially ("why didn't he make changes" they cried) but they developed into one of the best defensive groups in the AFL.

Cyberdoggie
30-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Makes sense.
Eade did this early on with the defensive group - it was painful initially ("why didn't he make changes" they cried) but they developed into one of the best defensive groups in the AFL.

We did look better when Roughead or Austin moved forward as a third tall option, or marking option up the ground. Certainly straightened us up.

Perhaps we are asking too much of Cordy/Jones by having only those two forward as marking options, and a third option like Stringer may make a difference.

Having said that they have to be able to maintain forward pressure effectively.

DragzLS1
30-04-2013, 04:50 PM
No change, Give vez a 2nd crack needs some confidence and dropping him after 1 game is not going to help

Addison for Goodes.. Would be ideal time to have Murphy back in teh side playing off half back

Dry Rot
30-04-2013, 11:23 PM
see here (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2013/04/29/glass-ban-adds-to-eagles-woes/)

Thanks

Update: Glass cleared to play

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-30/fyfe-tribunal-challenge-fails

Remi Moses
01-05-2013, 05:12 AM
I think Austin will keep his place.
West Coast forward line will resemble the land of the giants.
In Pierce/ Howard
Out Goodes

Ghost Dog
01-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Don't let it down there then! Let the giants get bored watching it down the other end.

Mantis
01-05-2013, 09:33 AM
I suspect that if Griffen doesn't come up then Howard might be selected: 19 disposals and 6 tackles on the weekend. Straight swap for Goodes.

Has Howard being played in defence for Wiilliamstown?

Personally if Howard comes in it has to be for a midfielder.

bornadog
01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Has Howard been played in defence?

Personally if Howard comes in it has to be for a midfielder.

Howard has been playing along the wing at Willi.

Mantis
01-05-2013, 09:44 AM

As I thought.

The simple fact is that Howard, at this point in time isn't up to AFL standards as a defender and unless someone from the midfield group is going to go back he can't come in as a replacement for Goodes.

Mofra
01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
The simple fact is that Howard, at this point in time isn't up to AFL standards as a defender and unless someone from the midfield group is going to go back he can't come in as a replacement for Goodes.
His body pressure on an opponent is poor, I doubt he can make it as a defender.

His tank is excellent but given he rarely unleashes his left boot, running capacity is his only real advantage of opponents - and Tutt has worked hard to overtake him in this area.

bornadog
01-05-2013, 10:16 AM
His body pressure on an opponent is poor, I doubt he can make it as a defender.

His tank is excellent but given he rarely unleashes his left boot, running capacity is his only real advantage of opponents - and Tutt has worked hard to overtake him in this area.

Has been laying lots of tackles at Willi in the past few games so maybe he is working on his defensive pressure.

some highlights here:

aGvxvfgc7RY

The Pie Man
01-05-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd like to see Grant thrown a challenge.

Would understand if Addison came in for Veszpremi also
Pearce perhaps a chance for Macrae

bornadog
01-05-2013, 10:23 AM

some good highlights of Grant and Addison here:

MpBHOVr1L_4

SlimPickens
01-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Slim, do you think its possible, when Cox rests forward, Rough will go to him, Morris to Kennedy and Young to go with Darling all day?

Some interesting combos in our defence in any case. Who would play on Le Cras?

Possibly. Forgot about Austin so he'll need to do a job for us. Picken to Le Cras for mine, follow him wherever.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2013, 04:33 PM

I would have thought that Griffen was a good chance to be back. I would prefer Pearce to replace Goodes if Griffen isn't ready. Not keen to have both Grant and Veszpremi in together. I would continue to play Macrae who gives you added pace which we lack overall.

LongWait
01-05-2013, 08:49 PM

How do you know this? My father-in law rarely misses Willi games and he says Howard has been playing half back and behind the ball.

GVGjr
01-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Honest question, why does Macrae need a rest? He was a sub last week. Don't recall him blowing up? :confused:

My concerns are around his 2nd interstate trip and playing on a big ground. I'd rather play him at Williamstown this week and have him fresh for the game against North.

G-Mo77
01-05-2013, 09:43 PM
My concerns are around his 2nd interstate trip and playing on a big ground. I'd rather play him at Williamstown this week and have him fresh for the game against North.

I don't mean to pick you out GVGjr but I don't understand the obsession to mollycoddle the young players? Macrae would have had around 20 minutes of game time Saturday. The young kid would be salivating to get out there, play on a big ground in perfect conditions (Under the assumption weather will be good) why deny him that? If he's genuinely sore then yeah give him a week off but I've got no interest in yo-yoing a young player who deserves to be in the team.

jeemak
01-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I don't mean to pick you out GVGjr but I don't understand the obsession to mollycoddle the young players? Macrae would have had around 20 minutes of game time Saturday. The young kid would be salivating to get out there, play on a big ground in perfect conditions (Under the assumption weather will be good) why deny him that? If he's genuinely sore then yeah give him a week off but I've got no interest in yo-yoing a young player who deserves to be in the team.

I tend to agree, though can understand where GVGjr's coming from.

I'd be inclined to throw him up against it for a full game this week and then give him a week's break to recover at Williamstown or all together if he really needs it.

Of course, if he plays well then we might find ourselves in a position where we have to drop a young player at the start of a run so we'd need to be careful with how we communicate any change with him.

G-Mo77
01-05-2013, 10:03 PM
FWIW I think we'll only make one change.

Out: Goodes.
In: Pearce or Addison

GVGjr
01-05-2013, 10:38 PM

I went to a function earlier in the year where McCartney talked about how difficult it is for the younger guys to get through a season. He talked about how Clay Smith had completed just 6 full training sessions between the time we drafted him and when he played in the first game against the Eagles. He also talked about how Smith struggled in the 2nd half of the season with the demands and how he had trouble sleeping and that he lost weight etc.

You might see it as a mollycoddle of younger players but I think managing the younger guys is a very important step.

I'd like to see Macrae get though the season and think we will have to manage him accordingly.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2013, 10:44 PM
I went to a function earlier in the year where McCartney talked about how difficult it is for the younger guys to get through a season. He talked about how Clay Smith had completed just 6 full training sessions between the time we drafted him and when he played in the first game against the Eagles. He also talked about how Smith struggled in the 2nd half of the season with the demands and how he had trouble sleeping and that he lost weight etc.

You might see it as a mollycoddle of younger players but I think managing the younger guys is a very important step.

I'd like to see Macrae get though the season and think we will have to manage him accordingly.

Great article by Jimmy Bartell in the Age to the tune of what GVG is saying. What had you achieved when you were 18? is the title. Highlights the demands put on young players. It took Gablett 4 years to become a top midfielder.

jeemak
01-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Great article by Jimmy Bartell in the Age to the tune of what GVG is saying. What had you achieved when you were 18? is the title. Highlights the demands put on young players. It took Gablett 4 years to become a top midfielder.

Four years is still pretty quick though! That's why I'm still so devastated for the career Cooney seems to have missed out on, having won the Brownlow at 23! He seriously could have been equally as damaging as Ablett.

It wasn't that long ago that it was a given that a footballer played his best football between the ages of 26-29, maybe 30. Bartell's article was on the money.

I guess with MacRae this week, there's benefits in him heading over to WA for the experience, and there's also benefits in managing him away from fatigue. Different players react differently to respective workloads. It's incumbent upon our development and conditioning staff to know when the best time to pull a young bloke back might be.

bornadog
01-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Four years is still pretty quick though! That's why I'm still so devastated for the career Cooney seems to have missed out on, having won the Brownlow at 23! He seriously could have been equally as damaging as Ablett.

It wasn't that long ago that it was a given that a footballer played his best football between the ages of 26-29, maybe 30. Bartell's article was on the money.

I guess with MacRae this week, there's benefits in him heading over to WA for the experience, and there's also benefits in managing him away from fatigue. Different players react differently to respective workloads. It's incumbent upon our development and conditioning staff to know when the best time to pull a young bloke back might be.

Surely one full game and one quarter he is not fatigued yet:eek: I would have thought playing at least 4 to 5 matches then see how he is going.

Ghost Dog
01-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Surely one full game and one quarter he is not fatigued yet:eek: I would have thought playing at least 4 to 5 matches then see how he is going.

Yeah but they don't just sit around on the couch playing X-box all week between matches. :D

jeemak
01-05-2013, 11:56 PM

I suppose you have to factor in his preseason load, coupled with the responsibility and output he displayed in his first few games for Williamstown.

A game in the wet travelling to Adelaide, followed by a bit of a lay off as the sub last week, then followed by travelling to WA might take a toll on him after you consider the abovementioned preseason and VFL games to this point. If the conditioning and development staff deem that will be too much for him as an overall sector of workload then some justification to rest him this week in Melbourne playing for Williamstown might be what's required.

I think another thing that needs to be remembered is the work U/18's put into their final year under significant pressure, in the hope to get drafted and perform well. Physical and mental fatigue would play a huge part in their debut season's performance, and a club like ours with plenty of spots for younger players needs to be mindful of sharing the load across the season.

boydogs
02-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Out: Goodes, Veszpremi, Austin
In: Pearce, Grant, Cordy

Vesz was dominating at VFL level but clearly has things to work on, need to ensure he focuses on improving his weaknesses. Grant comes in for him as we need that lead up player we hoped Vesz would be for us last week.

Goodes suspended, Pearce showing the most at the moment ahead of Howard and Addison.

Austin and Cordy are probably on par at the moment, and only one of those is in our long term plans.

Mofra
02-05-2013, 10:26 AM
If we're considering resting Macrae (taking into account the 6-8kgs he's added in just a few months) then Stringer may also be coming up for another sub vest as he's still getting match fitness.

From memory JJ & Roberts were pulling up sore last year too and had to be managed through the year. Sadly I think JJ will miss games this year to manage his workload (he really is an important part of our side now).

neddie
02-05-2013, 11:44 AM
How do you know this? My father-in law rarely misses Willi games and he says Howard has been playing half back and behind the ball.

According to the Chris Maple report ,Howard had a midfield role against Casey.

Ozza
02-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Yeah but they don't just sit around on the couch playing X-box all week between matches. :D

Yeah...some of them have playstation.

bornadog
02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
From Twitter

McCartney: Griffen and Gia won't play this week, they'll definitely be available for selection next week.

LongWait
02-05-2013, 12:45 PM
According to the Chris Maple report ,Howard had a midfield role against Casey.

He may have for some or even most of that game but he has primarily played in defense this season for Willi.

bornadog
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Forgotten Dog a chance to return (Addison) (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-02/lost-dog-a-chance-to-return)

bulldogsthru&thru
02-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Can't remember the 4th in but Howard, Pearce and Addison named. Only Goodes is out

Edit: markovic was the other in

The Bulldogs Bite
02-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Hope to god we don't bring Markovic into the side.

If for no other reason than we are playing West Coast, his favourite team..

GVGjr
02-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Hope to god we don't bring Markovic into the side.

If for no other reason than we are playing West Coast, his favourite team..

If you look at the likely match-ups, Markovic makes some sense.

Eastdog
02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
If you look at the likely match-ups, Markovic makes some sense.

Who will he most likely take?

GVGjr
02-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Who will he most likely take?

I'm not sure he will be picked but I doubt we can use Roughead in the ruck this week.

The Eagles always throw extra talls forward against us. With Nic Nat, Kennedy and Darling it's already a tall forward line for us to handle.

Eastdog
02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure he will be picked but I doubt we can use Roughead in the ruck this week.

The Eagles always throw extra talls forward against us. With Nic Nat, Kennedy and Darling it's already a tall forward line for us to handle.

Are we a chance this week? The Eagles haven't been in a great form of late but playing in Perth makes it harder. If we were at Etihad I reckon we could do it.

Ghost Dog
02-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Are we a chance this week? The Eagles haven't been in a great form of late but playing in Perth makes it harder. If we were at Etihad I reckon we could do it.

If we take them on like we did on the weekend, we're in for a chance.

Eastdog
02-05-2013, 08:55 PM
If we take them on like we did on the weekend, we're in for a chance.

For sure. We have to bring that some fight like we did last weekend. What about the fact Subi is a bigger ground - that may test our fitness but I reckon we have improved in that department this year.

Mofra
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Roughy to Kennedy, Morris/Austin to Darling, Young to Nic Nat with instructions to run off him as much as possible (first game back he'll be struggling for match fitness).

Don't want to add another tall to the mix as it would rob us of run on a big ground - would actually prefer another runner on the ground.

Our run & spread has been an issue this year - another tall would hurt us in a key area we're lacking in

Greystache
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Roughy to Kennedy, Morris/Austin to Darling, Young to Nic Nat with instructions to run off him as much as possible (first game back he'll be struggling for match fitness).

Don't want to add another tall to the mix as it would rob us of run on a big ground - would actually prefer another runner on the ground.

Our run & spread has been an issue this year - another tall would hurt us in a key area we're lacking in

It may be that you (and I) get a chance to see Markovic pay forward/2nd ruck.

Hotdog60
02-05-2013, 11:15 PM
The bench stands at:
Cross
Smith
Wallis
Howard
Markovic
Pearce
Vespremi

Which 3 get cut? Who will be sub?

bornadog
02-05-2013, 11:33 PM
The bench stands at:
Cross
Smith
Wallis
Howard
Markovic
Pearce
Vespremi

Ves, Pearce, Marko

Greystache
02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
The bench stands at:
Cross
Smith
Wallis
Howard
Markovic
Pearce
Vespremi

Veszpremi, Howard, Pearce

EasternWest
03-05-2013, 12:38 AM
The bench stands at:
Cross
Smith
Wallis
Howard
Markovic
Pearce
Vespremi

Veszpremi
Veszpremi
Veszpremi

Hotdog60
03-05-2013, 06:28 AM

I think this maybe the way we go, I would have liked Vespa to have another run but there are other players in front who are getting more ball.

Howard needs to show a bit more at Willie for mind.

Pearce I would have liked to give a run but I think he will get pipped by Markovic because Nic Nac Paddy Whack got a game and the Weagles height up forward.

Sedat
03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Don't see any value in selecting Markovic considering he has conceded 17 goals to Josh Kennedy in the last 2 games. For mine, Austin, Young, Roughead and Morris is more than enough taller defensive cover, even against West Coke. I'd give Vesz another chance and drop Markovic, Pearce and Howard from the final 22. Addison up forward appeals to me - I'd have him terrorise Hurn all game, who is really struggling with the increased attention on him this season. Addison also provides some flexibility if things go pear-shaped on one of the match-ups down back.

jeemak
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Don't see any value in selecting Markovic considering he has conceded 17 goals to Josh Kennedy in the last 2 games. For mine, Austin, Young, Roughead and Morris is more than enough taller defensive cover, even against West Coke. I'd give Vesz another chance and drop Markovic, Pearce and Howard from the final 22. Addison up forward appeals to me - I'd have him terrorise Hurn all game, who is really struggling with the increased attention on him this season. Addison also provides some flexibility if things go pear-shaped on one of the match-ups down back.

You've pretty much nailed it. I don't see the value in persevering with Markovic at all unless there's an injury he needs to fill in for.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
The bench stands at:
Cross
Smith
Wallis
Howard
Markovic
Pearce
Vespremi

I'm hoping not Veszpremi so Howard Pearce and Marko. Maybe Veszpremi as sub.

Greystache
03-05-2013, 01:46 PM

It seems that gets perpetuated so often it's become fact. Kennedy kicked at least half of those 10 on Teflon Tom Williams. Markovic has struggled on Kennedy no doubt, but he's also been butchered by lack of midfield pressure on the ball carrier. I would play Roughead on Kennedy, Young on Darling, Morris on Lecras, with Markovic and Austin picking up Cox/Naitanui when resting forward and both doing stints forward and in the ruck (or filling in for Roughead if he rucks at stages)

I don't see much long term future for either Markovic or Austin, but I'd prefer them to do the grunt work to leave Roughead playing FB.

bornadog
03-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Final teams:

WCE - In: Wellingham, Smith, Naitanui. Out: Butler, Hams, Cripps;

WB - In: Addison, Howard. Out: Goodes, Veszpremi.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Final teams has Howard and Addison in for Goodes and Vez.

Is that the end of Vez?

bornadog
03-05-2013, 06:05 PM

Is that the end of Vez?

I am afraid he has shown not one bit of improvement over the past two and a bit years.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
It seems that gets perpetuated so often it's become fact. Kennedy kicked at least half of those 10 on Teflon Tom Williams. Markovic has struggled on Kennedy no doubt, but he's also been butchered by lack of midfield pressure on the ball carrier. I would play Roughead on Kennedy, Young on Darling, Morris on Lecras, with Markovic and Austin picking up Cox/Naitanui when resting forward and both doing stints forward and in the ruck (or filling in for Roughead if he rucks at stages)

I don't see much long term future for either Markovic or Austin, but I'd prefer them to do the grunt work to leave Roughead playing FB.

I would be happy to include Pearce to replace Veszpremi, who looked terrible last week. Pearce could be used as a back up to Addison. I agree with Sedat and wouldn't play Markovic. A bit risky to have both Austin and Markovic in the team together who really are fill in players.

Hotdog60
03-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Is that the end of Vez?

One would think the noose is around the neck.

DOG GOD
03-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Well it looks like I will have to change my signature...poor vez :(

chef
03-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Bit sad he couldn't get more than a week to show his stuff.

Remi Moses
03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Thought Vez would have got another week.
Interesting Everitt also dropped from the Sydney side.

Bulldog4life
03-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Thought Vez would have got another week.
Interesting Everitt also dropped from the Sydney side.

No one gained with that trade.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Would have liked Vez to get another shot at it, but it's hard to argue against when you get 4 possessions in almost three quarters of footy.

bornadog
03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Would have liked Vez to get another shot at it, but it's hard to argue against when you get 4 possessions in almost three quarters of footy.

One was a kick into an opposition player and the other a hurried handball to no one, one out on the full shooting for goal from a difficult spot and the other I think another handball when he streamed down the field, saw no one ahead and had to turn back and then was under pressure.

We have all wanted Vez to succeed, but we have to be honest and he is just not up to AFL level and will be serviceable at VFL level.

boydogs
03-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Why do we persist with no half forward line? Williams, Grant & Vesz all better options than more defenders and mids

G-Mo77
04-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Going to sound harsh and probably will get a few daggers thrown my way, hasn't stopped me before so I'll just go on.....

I've had a few players on the list in my sites with the red texta ready to put through their name. One of those is out this week, Vezpremi, he's done. 1 call up, subbed and dropped the next week. I don't think there is a message that has come through that clear before.

Another has just come into the side. I don't think much of him as a player at all. I tried so hard to focus on positives when he has played, even argued against some who I actually agree with but in the end the negatives outweighed the positives heavily. Maybe it's not his last chance but he's pretty close to it. Perform or it's red texta. Prove me wrong Christian Howard.

comrade
04-05-2013, 01:47 AM
Going to sound harsh and probably will get a few daggers thrown my way, hasn't stopped me before so I'll just go on.....

I've had a few players on the list in my sites with the red texta ready to put through their name. One of those is out this week, Vezpremi, he's done. 1 call up, subbed and dropped the next week. I don't think there is a message that has come through that clear before.

Another has just come into the side. I don't think much of him as a player at all. I tried so hard to focus on positives when he has played, even argued against some who I actually agree with but in the end the negatives outweighed the positives heavily. Maybe it's not his last chance but he's pretty close to it. Perform or it's red texta. Prove me wrong Christian Howard.

Harsh on Howard.

I think he needs at least a 3 week run to really determine if he's a chance of making it. Going over to Perth and playing well is hard enough for a veteran.

G-Mo77
04-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Harsh on Howard.

I think he needs at least a 3 week run to really determine if he's a chance of making it. Going over to Perth and playing well is hard enough for a veteran.

Maybe, in my defence I did say it's probably not his last but close to it. Although I am prepared to take the lid off the red texta Sunday night. :)

wimberga
04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Maybe, in my defence I did say it's probably not his last but close to it. Although I am prepared to take the lid off the red texta Sunday night. :)

I agree with G-Mo here I must say.

Not thrilled about the inclusion of Howard and I really do feel that Howard, Vezpremi, Grant and perhaps a few others are already delisted, its just up to them to show this year that they shouldn't be. This might be harsh but its the way I see it to be honest. Seems like these guys probably would have been gone last year but given how many we lost last year, we couldn't accord to cut even deeper in the same year.

Now if they turn it around they can save themselves but ultimately they have to start doing what the coach wants of them. Macca certainly has his "type" of players that he likes, and unless these guys can adjust to that, I feel like the only thing between them and not being at the dogs anymore is time.

This sounds overwhelmingly negative, but of course the other side to that is that with further spots on the list, Macca can bring in those types he believe will make us a better club and not just give us a crack at another flag, but give us a period of sustained high performance for many many years. Of course its not a certainty, but a few talented players who are on the borderline of being good contributors is not enough when you can bring guys in from day one who fit your model precisely.

LostDoggy
04-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Josh Hill says hi. Many thought the same way about him.

Surely it's about giving him time and then showing him where to improve as well as giving him the tools to do what the coaches want him to do. For some, progress is a matter of maturity and confidence in your role at the club.

G-Mo77
04-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Surely it's about giving him time and then showing him where to improve as well as giving him the tools to do what the coaches want him to do. For some, progress is a matter of maturity and confidence in your role at the club.

Why is Josh Hill saying Hi? Did he do something that I didn't know about?

Rocco Jones
04-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I get it's harsh to drop a guy after one game back in but that performance was Ali Dia like.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Not thrilled about the inclusion of Howard and I really do feel that Howard, Vezpremi, Grant and perhaps a few others are already delisted, its just up to them to show this year that they shouldn't be. This might be harsh but its the way I see it to be honest. Seems like these guys probably would have been gone last year but given how many we lost last year, we couldn't accord to cut even deeper in the same year.

Now if they turn it around they can save themselves but ultimately they have to start doing what the coach wants of them. Macca certainly has his "type" of players that he likes, and unless these guys can adjust to that, I feel like the only thing between them and not being at the dogs anymore is time.

This sounds overwhelmingly negative, but of course the other side to that is that with further spots on the list, Macca can bring in those types he believe will make us a better club and not just give us a crack at another flag, but give us a period of sustained high performance for many many years. Of course its not a certainty, but a few talented players who are on the borderline of being good contributors is not enough when you can bring guys in from day one who fit your model precisely.

I don't rate Howard at all, but AM happy to see him play . Why?
Hope to either rule in or rule out of our plans next year and the sooner we decide the better for trade purposes.

Sedat
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I get the inclusion of Howard. We lost one of our elite ball users out of the backline and needed to replace him with a like-for-like selection. Otherwise West Coke will just terrorise JJ all day knowing that there are no other line-breakers in our backline that can distribute with precision and skill. Whilst I haven't seen any evidence of Howard's elite kicking in game day, that is what we drafted him for.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't mind Howard's inclusion.

Time to see if he's worthy of a spot on the list next season or not over a 3-4 game block.

bornadog
04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I don't mind Howard's inclusion.

Time to see if he's worthy of a spot on the list next season or not over a 3-4 game block.

Agree we have to play him and see how he goes. He is 22 and has only played 17 games and really by now should have done alot better.

If he wants to be an AFL footballer, he needs to cement himself in the team for the remainder of the year.

Remi Moses
04-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Helps to play in a forward half of Kennedy Darling Le Cras though.
Josh hasn't done a lot this year in an under performing team.

Remi Moses
04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Agree we have to play him and see how he goes. He is 22 and has only played 17 games and really by now should have done alot better.

If he wants to be an AFL footballer, he needs to cement himself in the team for the remainder of the year.

Agree with this.
He has to string together some regular senior footy.

bornadog
04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
This from here (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/17010044/air-attack-as-eagles-load-up-on-talls/)

Assuming there are no changes to their 22, the Eagles have flagged their intention to stretch the young Bulldogs with a forward line likely to feature 203cm Dean Cox, Naitanui (201cm), Sinclair (200cm), Josh Kennedy (196cm) and Jack Darling (191cm) at various stages.

The matchups will be interesting. We should get a lot of run out of the backline if our backs don't try and outmark their talls, and just go the spoil.

westdog54
04-05-2013, 10:45 PM
This from here (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/17010044/air-attack-as-eagles-load-up-on-talls/)

The matchups will be interesting. We should get a lot of run out of the backline if our backs don't try and outmark their talls, and just go the spoil.

Was talking about this today. These were the match ups I came up with:

Roughead to Cox/NicNat
Morris to Kennedy
Austin to Darling
Young to Sinclair.
Picken or Lower take LeCras

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-05-2013, 10:47 PM

The fact that Goodes Lower Young and Stevens were all preferred selection choices before Howard Veszpremi and Grant at the beginning of the year is perhaps a strong indicator on how the three you highlighted are rated by the MC. The three players really haven't proved themselves good enough at senior level and will be lucky to survive beyond 2013.
With Griffen and Murphy to return you would like to think that by season's end Talia Roberts Hrovat Hunter and Prudden will all be pushing for senior selection, which is where our future lies.