PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 5 Edition

westdog54
27-04-2013, 11:41 PM
JJ has Harbrow covered. Takes the game on relentlessly, creates the play and uses the ball very very well.
Steven Motlop has has brothers well and truly covered for skill and workrate. Was exceptional tonight.
I love being able to say it - Liam Jones edging closer and closer to the promised land. Was wonderful to watch his attack on the ball and steaady hands. Had me out of my chair when he flew from that speccy in the last, was so close to sticking it that it was painful to watch it drop. And he's just turned 22. Plenty of development still to go.

Don't restrict your three things to Dogs players/issues. I'm sure there's plenty to discuss about the opposition.

LostDoggy
27-04-2013, 11:56 PM
1. Stringer can kick a set shot and a half. 2 bangers from 45m not bad.
2. JJ and Clay are heading in he right direction.
3. I could be wrong about Jones.

ratsmac
27-04-2013, 11:58 PM
1. Harry Taylor is a better player than I thought. And I thought he was pretty good.

2. Liam Jones has heart. Threw himself at plenty of packs. He could be a star. And he is kicking well.

3. Tutt can cut it at the top level.

4. Umpires are dickheads, oh sorry I knew that already

F'scary
28-04-2013, 12:05 AM
1. Tom Young is a very good player.
2. Roughead is a great second ruck / forward pocket and is wasted at FB even though he plays really well there.
3. Stringer is even more of a freak footballer than I had realised.

always right
28-04-2013, 12:07 AM
1. Tom Young is a very good player.
2. Roughead is a great second ruck / forward pocket and is wasted at FB even though he plays really well there.
3. Stringer is even more of a freak footballer than I had realised.

Playing Roughy at full back has been the making of him. We can now play him anywhere.

always right
28-04-2013, 12:09 AM
1. Tom Young has been a revelation.
2. When Jone's work rate is up, no-one can stay with him.
3. Tonight's forward line set up is so much more mobile and dangerous.

Remi Moses
28-04-2013, 12:14 AM
1. Jason Johanssien looks a real find
2. Like Tom Young's composure
1. The forward line looks better without Cordy

boydogs
28-04-2013, 12:15 AM
1. Stringer can already kick it a long way
2. Jones looks much better when he leads up out of the forward 50 and attacks the ball
3. Tom Young is the real deal - quick, composed, disposes of it well

Ghost Dog
28-04-2013, 02:04 AM
1. Clay smith can kick goals with his pants down.
2. The Higher or Lower thing at half time was a bit weak. Need a way to bring in more than one fan on screen. Nice try though.
3. Geelong fans were not that pleased on the train home and that pleases me.

Scorlibo
28-04-2013, 03:00 AM
1. Our forward line is so much more potent with the Jones-Stringer combination.
2. Clay Smith should be played as a forward pocket for the rest of the season.
3. Jason Tutt should be playing regular AFL footy, he's good enough.

LostDoggy
28-04-2013, 08:15 AM
1 - Jason Tutt has some good attributes totally lacks composure and finishing ability - perhaps he is adjusting, guess this season will determine his future-

2 - Vez - has few good attributes and also totally lacks composure. I don't think he will make it

3 - Stringer - We now have a forward who can go back and casually knock it in from beyond 50m....great to watch, adds a lot of versality and chutzpa to our team already...

Wish I could add that Roughead can cover Cordy's loss easily. Totally agree with MC decision to drop Cordy, but then I suspected this...

G-Mo77
28-04-2013, 08:40 AM
We have some tall targets who can kick goals.

Tom Young is a very good player for us.

Joel Selwood is the biggest sook in the AFL. I'm going on a campaign around town this week to make sure everyone knows it. He's like royalty in the locals eyes.

GVGjr
28-04-2013, 09:25 AM
1) Very impressed with the development of Jordan Roughead. He still has plenty to learn but his versatility tonight was pretty good. Really enjoyed his mark and goal up forward.

2) The coaching box had a good game. Got most of the match-ups the wanted and they would be pleased in the manner that many of the younger guys acquitted themselves.

3) 12 months back I think Jones had issues with his confidence but 5 games into this season he is proving himself to being a key forward of the future. Last nights effort should be another confidence booster for and also the wake up call for a number of our fans that have doubts about him.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2013, 09:31 AM
1) Very impressed with the development of Jordan Roughead. He still has plenty to learn but his versatility tonight was pretty good. Really enjoyed his mark and goal up forward.

2) The coaching box had a good game. Got most of the match-ups the wanted and they would be pleased in the manner that many of the younger guys acquitted themselves.

3) 12 months back I think Jones had issues with his confidence but 5 games into this season any he is proving himself to being a key forward of the future. Last nights effort should be another confidence booster for and also the wake up call for a number of our fans that have doubts about him.

Absolutely. And going to the game, one can see his desperate 1% acts when he doesn't have the ball, which makes me respect him even more. The grabs will make the highlights reel, but his groundwork is equally important.

Tom Young is a very good player for us.

I don't think he put a foot wrong all game.
Good fitness. Ran out the game. Quality decision maker. Many teams higher up the ladder would have him.

Topdog
28-04-2013, 10:26 AM
1 - Jason Tutt has some good attributes totally lacks composure and finishing ability - perhaps he is adjusting, guess this season will determine his future-.

After that first game of his it is amazing that we sit here saying this.

Pickenitup
28-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Tom Young Will Be a 150 game Player for Us
Jones and Stringer are going to be a Wonderful Double Act for many years to come.

LostDoggy
28-04-2013, 10:51 AM
After that first game of his it is amazing that we sit here saying this.

Yeah it is kind of - which game do you want to judge him, the last two weeks or a game over a year ago?

G-Mo77
28-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah it is kind of - which game do you want to judge him, the last two weeks or a game over a year ago?

You're only as good as your last game.

I'm not a huge Tutt fan but he showed a bit last night.

westdog54
28-04-2013, 11:01 AM
You're only as good as your last game.

I'm not a huge Tutt fan but he showed a bit last night.

I had him in my sledges only because of his decision making and execution, things that will come with time and experience but the endeavour and workrate were certainly there. Not afraid to go with the flight of the ball when its his turn either.

Mofra
28-04-2013, 11:04 AM
We actually have some very good young KPPs coming through the ranks - Jones will play 200+ games for us

We have kids who are taking the game on, very promising

Minson is one of the most effective ruckmen in the AFL

ratsmac
28-04-2013, 12:29 PM
We actually have some very good young KPPs coming through the ranks - Jones will play 200+ games for us

We have kids who are taking the game on, very promising

Minson is one of the most effective ruckmen in the AFL

I thought Mince was terrific last night, if he can play like that for the rest of the season, he would push for all Australian. He has to work on his marking around the ground though.

always right
28-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I thought Mince was terrific last night, if he can play like that for the rest of the season, he would push for all Australian. He has to work on his marking around the ground though.

Funny...some on this board don't believe he adds anything to our team with his ruck work.

bornadog
28-04-2013, 12:34 PM
I had him in my sledges only because of his decision making and execution, things that will come with time and experience but the endeavour and workrate were certainly there. Not afraid to go with the flight of the ball when its his turn either.

There was a passage of play in the third where Tutt was free in the forward 50 and he was undecided to go for goal or kick to Jones standing on his own in the pocket. Jones the started pointing at the goals and in the end Tutt seemed to be a bit confused and his kick went for a point.

He had a shocking first half touching the ball only 4 times and one tackle, but I thought his third quarter was terrific.

Bulldog4life
28-04-2013, 12:40 PM
1/ Tutty is definitely worth persevering with.

2/ JJ is going to be a very good player.

3/ Umpires still favour the sides up the top of the ladder and the well known players.

FrediKanoute
28-04-2013, 06:26 PM
1. Cooney still has it....and when he turns it on we are irresistable;
2. Jones is emerging with Careyesque marking ability and a real desire to take the game by the scruff of the neck and own it;
3. JJ - the rookie draft has been really kind to us!

Topdog
28-04-2013, 07:26 PM

oh last 2 games for sure. just seemed certain he would kick on after that.

westdog54
28-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Funny...some on this board don't believe he adds anything to our team with his ruck work.

He was a lot more effective in the ruck this week than he has been in past, put it to advantage a lot more. I'd say his ruckwork was on a par this week to what it was for the Freo game, where I thought he was exceptional, but around the ground he's capable of so much more.

I stand by my comments on Will in recent weeks.

westdog54
28-04-2013, 09:07 PM
There was a passage of play in the third where Tutt was free in the forward 50 and he was undecided to go for goal or kick to Jones standing on his own in the pocket. Jones the started pointing at the goals and in the end Tutt seemed to be a bit confused and his kick went for a point.

He had a shocking first half touching the ball only 4 times and one tackle, but I thought his third quarter was terrific.

Came very close to throwing a cushion across the room for that one. :D

Bulldog Revolution
28-04-2013, 09:52 PM
1. Our best is very encouraging but our worst and mediocre efforts are depressing
2. We are on the right track with developing bigs Roughie, Jones and Stringer
3. Tom Young has exceeded my expectations and is also developing nicely
4. The use and resurrection of Cooney has been fabulous

w3design
29-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Some still believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny as well. Come to think of it, it is probably the same folks.;)

Ghost Dog
29-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Will adds a few thousand ladies to our membership every year. His fan mail sack fills up fast I imagine...

MrMahatma
29-04-2013, 09:33 AM
1. Maybe we have a game plan?
2. Maybe Macca was right in focussing on teaching youth because guys like JJ are coming on.
3. Maybe we'll have a good spine in 18 months.

Ozza
29-04-2013, 10:30 AM
1. Jones and Stringer will make a very good combination up forward.
2. Geelong players are able to have as long as the like to dispose of the footy while being tackling and slung around. Inf act Stevie J just waits until you swing him all of the way around until he is facing the player he wants to handball off to.
3. Tom Young reads the play tremendously well.

Twodogs
29-04-2013, 01:58 PM
1. Nick Lower loves to yap and has the ability to get under his opponent's skin. I really love watching him annoy opposition players until they basically want him dead.

2. Tom Young and Adam Cooney look like twins from 150 metres away-even the commentators mix them up. A couple of times they were wondering why Cooney was stuck one out with a Geelong tall in a marking contest when it was Young.

3. The most common text sent out on Saturday night would have been "Striiiiiinger!!!!!"

LostDoggy
29-04-2013, 02:15 PM
1. The forward line looks better without Cordy

Almost worth a thread by itself.

1. Tom old head on Young shoulders
2. Jones/Stringer combo
3. Team Effort