PDA

View Full Version : Cooney will stay with Dogs: Darcy

bornadog
01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-01/dog-gone-no-says-darcy)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/281228-tlsnewsportrait_zpsd6d0e3d9.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/281228-tlsnewsportrait_zpsd6d0e3d9.jpg.html)

ADAM Cooney's rejuvenation since cutting-edge knee treatment should ensure the Western Bulldogs offer a new contract that convinces him to turn his back on free agency, former captain Luke Darcy says.

Cooney, 27, becomes a restricted free agent at the end of this season, meaning opposition clubs are free to make a play for him, but the Bulldogs can keep him by matching any offer.

When this season's list of free agents was released in March, Cooney was one of the most intriguing players on it.

He was coming off two seasons in which his degenerative right knee had limited him to 27 games and made him a shadow of the player who won the 2008 Brownlow Medal.

But post-season treatment in Germany, which involved taking blood from his arm, separating and incubating its growth cells and injecting them into his knee, has helped Cooney train harder and perform better than he has in years.

After this season's first five rounds, he is averaging 23.4 possessions a game – his best return since 2010 – in a new role across half-back and has kicked eight goals.

It's form that will have sparked heightened interest from opposition clubs, but Darcy says the Bulldogs will be desperate to keep Cooney, and the 187-game Bulldog will be equally keen to stay.

"The best thing from my point of view, wearing my Western Bulldogs supporter's hat, is that there will be a heap of (opposition) attention again because Adam's knee looks great and he's moving like the player who won a Brownlow Medal," Darcy said.

"If he was going down the same path that he was the last two years with his degenerative knee, not being able to train, he probably wasn't going to have options to do anything really.

"But now I think the Bulldogs will be desperate to keep him and, having played with him, he strikes me as the sort of guy who would be very, very comfortable staying at the one club.

"I still believe that is a massive factor in people's decisions, so, unless there is some sort of massive discrepancy or an opportunity that is just out of this world, my belief is he's not someone who would jump ship."

Cooney signed a lucrative contract back in May 2010, at a time when Gold Coast had approached him to be part of its inaugural list and when the right patella he cracked in the 2008 finals series had not yet degenerated to the extent of 2011-12.

Despite the ongoing uncertainty surrounding Cooney's knee, Darcy said he had shown this year he could play as an "elite" half-back for another three or four seasons.

Darcy believed if Cooney's form and good health continued, the Bulldogs would eventually offer him the money and length of tenure that would ensure he rejected any tempting opposition offers.

Darcy also thought the Bulldogs would prioritise retaining him on their young list above any free agency compensation they might get for him leaving.

But prominent sports physician Dr Peter Larkins told AFL.com.au any opposition suitors should be aware Cooney's knee condition remained degenerative and would still require careful management.

"There's nothing magical about the Regenokine treatment Adam received in Germany," Larkins said, explaining that it aimed to stop further cartilage damage and knee swelling.

"His symptoms have settled down since, but I've always said be cautious about saying he's over his knee problem because it's early in the season.

"He's had the knee controlled through the pre-season and five rounds, but it remains to be seen whether it will stand up to 25 weeks of footy."

Larkins said Cooney's knee would likely require further treatment, with a similar procedure to Regenokine, Orthokine, now available in Australia and already used by St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt.

bornadog
01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Need to stitch up Cooney NOW!!

SlimPickens
01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Need to stitch up Cooney NOW!!

Will be interesting to see what he is offered. Id imagine we would have plenty of room in our cap considering our list profile. Hopefully Adam repays the faith the club has put in him over the last few years and signs sooner rather than later.

ratsmac
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
It's great to see Coons finally stringing some games together. However I would like to see how the season pans out before signing him to another 3 year deal. Fingers crossed his knee holds up and we see Cooney for a few more years.

Greystache
01-05-2013, 02:05 PM
It would be really disappointing if Cooney chased big money somewhere else after being on massive overs for what he's produced the last few years. I'd like to think there'd be fair bit of loyalty built up for the patience we've shown him.

lemmon
01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Not worried about him going. We have enough money in the cap to match any offer and I can't see any club offering massive amounts when you take into account he's a year by year proposition at best. Would be a brave (more likely stupid) club that offers him massive money and long years when you consider where his knees at...and more than likely its an offer we could match

LostDoggy
01-05-2013, 02:16 PM
I'd go year by year contract. Two years at most for this one. Degenerative knee problem. Five games into this season isn't enough to suddenly throw a three year contract at a 28 year old with these problems.

Who'd offer him a massive amount more?

bornadog
01-05-2013, 02:21 PM

GC or GWS comes to mind. What about a team on the verge of a premiership and wants that star to help them over the line.

lemmon
01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
GC or GWS comes to mind. What about a team on the verge of a premiership and wants that star to help them over the line.

I could see it coming from GC or GWS but I don't see any of the contenders having cap space, perhaps Freo but they need a big forward. I think we are in the drivers seat, no matter what offer comes in we have the capability at least of matching it, the choice will come down to whether we believe he is worth what's offered

bornadog
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
I could see it coming from GC or GWS but I don't see any of the contenders having cap space, perhaps Freo but they need a big forward. I think we are in the drivers seat, no matter what offer comes in we have the capability at least of matching it, the choice will come down to whether we believe he is worth what's offered

You may be right, but all I can see is us losing out yet again, instead of stiching him up early and then there is no controversy

Throughandthrough
01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Trade bait to the Crows for Lyons? I would.

Mantis
01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
What about a team on the verge of a premiership and wants that star to help them over the line.

One would think most teams up the pointy of the ladder wouldn't have much room in their salary cap, but seeing as though both Sydney & Hawthorn made big acquistions in the last off-season who knows??

jeemak
01-05-2013, 03:27 PM
One would think most teams up the pointy of the ladder wouldn't have much room in their salary cap, but seeing as though both Sydney & Hawthorn made big acquistions in the last off-season who knows??

Sydney has the extra 10% they say doesn't help them secure individual players, while Hawthorn are paying Lake well less than what he was receiving at the Bulldogs.

I don't think any side other than GWS or GC will throw buckets at him though. I'd prefer to keep him, though we need to be realistic about his potential to break down.

If he holds the club over a barrel in lieu of seeking an unrealistic contract, we'll just have to let him go.

Maddog37
01-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Lyons?

Throughandthrough
01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Jarryd Lyons. Clearance king of the Sanfl. Possibly leading the Margarey. Only a young fella from Victoria. Has been an emergency 3 or 4 times this year for the Crows

soupman
01-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Jarryd Lyons. Clearance king of the Sanfl. Possibly leading the Margarey. Only a young fella from Victoria. Has been an emergency 3 or 4 times this year for the Crows

Brownlow medallist for the clearance king of the SANFL? That's an incredibly hard sell to our supporters, regardless of how good Lyons is/will be.

chef
01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Rather hang on to Cooney and let him play out his career with the Dogs.

Throughandthrough
01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Brownlow medallist for the clearance king of the SANFL? That's an incredibly hard sell to our supporters, regardless of how good Lyons is/will be.

Yep. Not much romance in it, is there

But i'm looking ahead 5 years, not backwards.

NB i'm an absolute Cooney fan and love him as much as anyone on here, but sadly i can see his career cartwheeling to a screeching halt quickly one day.

KT31
02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
I'd go year by year contract. Two years at most for this one. Degenerative knee problem. Five games into this season isn't enough to suddenly throw a three year contract at a 28 year old with these problems.

Fasntasia, look at the signings he has left us with.

G-Mo77
07-05-2013, 10:56 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-07/cooney-dogs-at-stalemate

So we're getting this report now. Honestly not upset about the Dogs stance, if it is in fact true. There is a lot of football to be played and Cooney is no guarantee to get through the season.

soupman
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-07/cooney-dogs-at-stalemate

So we're getting this report now. Honestly not upset about the Dogs stance, if it is in fact true. There is a lot of football to be played and Cooney is no guarantee to get through the season.

Great. His manager is Marty Pask, former gameless Bulldogs rookie and mastermind behind the Brian Lake defection (has also posted numerous pathetic ideas to fix problems in the game on twitter). Can't wait to see how he makes this one play out:rolleyes:

lemmon
07-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Looks like we want to see some proof of longevity which I have no problem with. I'm sure losing Fantasia has slowed things down somewhat as well

G-Mo77
07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 2m

Cooney's manager Marty Pask has rubbished reports of a stalemate with Dogs on contract talks. "No bad blood," he says.

chef
07-05-2013, 07:49 PM

He's a FA isn't he?

If he was to go what round compo would we get?

wimberga
07-05-2013, 09:39 PM
He's a FA isn't he?

You'd have to think 1st rounder given he was a number 1 draft pick, brownlow medal winner and the money he'd likely be offered (500+) however who really knows.

The way the system works, that would be fair as he could hypothetically give us anywhere between picks 2-19 (depending on where we finish) which seems fair.

Greystache
07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
He's a FA isn't he?

He's a restricted free agent, meaning all we have to do is match the offer he receives from another club if we wish to keep him.

Remi Moses
07-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I agree with the clubs stance on waiting until seasons end.
Let's hope he continues to fire and stays.

jeemak
07-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Any upturn in Cooney's form this year was going to result in this sort of talk.

Hopefully if his form continues we make an attempt to lock him away before the free agency period, though I'm not too worried as I can't see many clubs taking a contract longevity or outlay risk on him. He's too much of an unknown physically.

bornadog
07-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 2m

Cooney's manager Marty Pask has rubbished reports of a stalemate with Dogs on contract talks. "No bad blood," he says.

Out of contract star Adam Cooney is in ongoing talks with the Western Bulldogs (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/out-of-contract-staradam-cooney-is-in-ongoing-talks-with-the-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9nx-1226637047324)

THE Western Bulldogs are in ongoing talks with star midfielder Adam Cooney about a new deal for next season.
The club today expressed surprise at suggestions it had put off talks with Cooney's manager, Marty Pask from Essentially Group, until later this season.

Out of contract Cooney is a restricted free agent this year.

Dogs list manager Jason McCartney said the club was in constant dialogue with Cooney and his manager about his future.

The Brownlow Medallist has been in excellent form this season, overcoming some of the knee issues that have hampered him in recent years.

"We are in ongoing discussions with management and player,'' McCartney said.

"We are really happy with how Adam is going and certainly so is Adam.''

Pask said there had been no decision to put off negotiations with the club until the end of the year.

"Talks are ongoing, there is no stalemate and certainly no bad blood,'' Pask said.

jeemak
07-05-2013, 11:51 PM
BAD, as always great work with the media updates. Don't say it enough, appreciate the constant updates you provide this forum. They make it a great place to source Bulldog news.

Kudos.

bornadog
08-05-2013, 10:41 AM
BAD, as always great work with the media updates. Don't say it enough, appreciate the constant updates you provide this forum. They make it a great place to source Bulldog news.

Kudos.

Cheers, just trying to stimulate discussion

Dry Rot
08-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Great. His manager is Marty Pask, former gameless Bulldogs rookie and mastermind behind the Brian Lake defection (has also posted numerous pathetic ideas to fix problems in the game on twitter). Can't wait to see how he makes this one play out:rolleyes:

Hawks may have cap space if Buddy leaves.

bornadog
09-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Cooney, Dogs in waiting game (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cooney-dogs-in-waiting-game-20130508-2j7yq.html)

Adam Cooney is training, playing and bouncing out of packs again. He's doing things he hasn't done in a while and he looks happy doing them, which is good news for him and his Western Bulldogs. For the first time in a long time Cooney didn't start a season wondering how he would get through it. His form in the first six weeks has been a nice reminder of his brilliant past and, he no doubt hopes, an indication of what he can keep producing for two, three or more years.
Cooney was one of 12 restricted free agents on the updated list released by the AFL on Wednesday, and that he and the Bulldogs are happily not rushing to discuss a new deal yet isn't surprising and shouldn't be, given free agency is upon us, making both clubs and players consider their value in different ways than they once did, and not necessarily in nasty ways.
It will be a while before seasons end with a raft of star players leaving their team for the dollars offered by another. Clubs generally keep their stars and players most often want to stay, but Cooney and the Dogs are an interesting case.
It makes sense for Cooney to wait, to back himself and his rejuvenated form. If he keeps playing well then he can expect a good offer from the Bulldogs and potentially have others to consider. Cooney last re-signed early in 2010, before his knee problems reached their worst, and is possibly due for a price drop, but who knows what might come his way. Keep fit and he could have a choice to make.

There is less reason for the Bulldogs to rush. They're piecing together a new team and will have to work out whether they see Cooney in it when it's challenging again, or whether a compensation pick would better suit their long-term plans. He's only 27 and his best is still at times their best - at this point in time. The club, clearly, knows as much about the long-term prospects of his damaged knee as he does. The Bulldogs have plenty of things to consider and Cooney's status as a restricted free agent means they have plenty of time to think them through.

This means that even if he gets another offer, the Dogs could match it. Waiting means potentially paying him more than they would by re-signing him now, but the difference wouldn't be much and he's already one of their most highly paid players. It's not a decision they need to make now.

Remi Moses
11-05-2013, 02:59 AM
I'd be alarmed if they signed Adam on the same contract.
To me it's a win win situation for the club ( unless they offer a silly deal )
Welcome to the world of F/ A folks!

LostDoggy
20-05-2013, 02:33 PM
I brought up Cooney yesterday as a player to potentially be moved on at the end of the season.

He's had his debilitating knee problem for a number of years. The treatment he's received during the off-season appears to have helped but he's out of contract at the end of the year.

Correct me if I’m wrong but he's still got another two years before he can be moved onto the veterans list? My understanding is that a player has to have been on the list for at least ten years AND be at least 30 years of age on the 30 of September of the current season (just happens to be Coons' birthday).

Therefore he has at least two years, this September (turns 28) before he can put on the veterans list based on the age qualifications.

No idea what he's on, but it'd be +500k? If he was to be signed for another one-two years it’s likely be the same money, maybe more if he plays hardball.

Question is why would we sign him for any more than one season with his knee troubles (bearing in mind he's got another 14 games to go this season and a preseason next year, if signed, where his knee could again play up). He's flashed in and out of games this season. He may well become more consistent for the remainder of this season, who knows, but he's in my 5 senior players who decisions needs to be made on, starting now, as to their currently functionality and use in taking the club forward.

If a GWS/GC or top four side want him for two seasons and match/beat our offer, then I wouldn’t be shattered to lose him, for the benefit of the future. None of this is taking away from him being a favourite son.

For reference my players I’m referring to: (in order of decisions needing to be made)
- Cross
-Gia
-Cooney
- Boyd ( I honestly thinks he needs a refresh and is injured, but he's still on the wane)
-Morris

* Note: I only think three maximum need to go at the end of the season, but they're the senior players that form the core of those decisions.

Murphy'sLore
20-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Hasn't Gia already said that this year will be his last?

AndrewP6
20-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Hasn't Gia already said that this year will be his last?

Yes he's said it likely will be.