PDA

View Full Version : Former Eagle in enemy camp

bornadog
04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
link (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/17010045/former-eagle-in-enemy-camp/)

West Coast premiership forward Ashley Hansen says last year's offer to be a development coach at Fremantle inspired him to chase a career in the AFL after previously focusing on sports science.

Hansen rejected the Dockers' offer, preferring to play another season in the WAFL for Swan Districts and help coach Greg Harding.

But he said the prospect of a job at an AFL club remained embedded in his mind and he was thrilled when the Western Bulldogs phoned about being a development coach this season.

"With the Freo job, it just wasn't the right time," Hansen said.

"I was heading down the sports science role and doing some assistant coaching with Swan Districts while I was playing, and then Peter Sumich approached.

"That put the idea in my head and after that I thought I may be good at it. It evolved when I didn't really think of it initially.

"I'm finding the study that I've done is aiding me. I think I've got a lot to offer the younger guys because I'm not long out of the game and have had a few experiences that they can relate to."

The Bulldogs have 18 players in their academy, providing Hansen with plenty of youngsters to work with.

Hansen and former Geelong star Cameron Mooney spend a lot of time helping the key forwards, especially with their goal kicking.

He said the injuries which restricted him to 78 games and continued during his WAFL career had become so frustrating that he was ready for life after playing football.

His new job involved him working as a Bulldogs runner.

The club changed that role last week and moved him to the interchange bench, where he is responsible for rotations and coaching players on the bench.

He'll be just metres from former teammates tomorrow when the Bulldogs confront the Eagles at Patersons Stadium.

Hansen said it had been an eye-opening experience joining a rival AFL outfit.

The Bulldogs are a smaller club than West Coast, but Hansen is impressed and believes the players are provided with everything they need to succeed.